You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I'm trying to qualify tonight for the Sky Sports Double Stack on Aug 26th. Are you?

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
Good luck Rich! I'll be in Nottingham definetely. Swansea was my first SPT and it was a great weekend. Unfortunately I finished 135th out of 150 when my A9 was crushed by A8 with a horrible 8 on the river whilst on your table! Suppose it makes it easier to beat my best SPT finish in Nottingham tho :P

Comments

• edited August 2010
    It's the best poker tournament going, it takes place at the brilliant DTD poker room in Nottingham and there's £25,000 in the kitty!

Yes, it's the Sky Poker Tour Grand Final in Nottingham on 11th and 12th September and it's part of a 2 day poker extravaganza from us with plenty of side action sngs and appearances from the Sky Poker onscreen team.

It's a great place to meet up with like-minded people and no-one who ever goes to these events comes away having not thoroughly enjoyed them. Plus, think of all that prize money!

So, I've decided I'm going to earn my seat the hard way this time by trying to qualify via the satellites. 

Tonight, I'm going to play the £5.20 rebuy at 7.35pm and failing that, I'm going to have bash at the £24 semi-final at 9.30. (Although I must admit my bankroll won't support too many of these semis! So I'll be back to the cheaper rebuys after that!)

I hope you'll join me to rail my progress and have a bash yourself. You won't regret it...especially if you end up picking up about £8K and the kudos of being the Sky Poker Tour Champion 2010 in September!

Good luck and see you on the tables in a little while! :)
  • edited August 2010
    As mentioned elsewhere Rich I'd love to have a go at a fiver sat ......but the unwanted introduction of rebuys takes this out of my current BR range.

No point in playing these things if you can't afford at least one rebuy and the essential add on....... £15.60 is most certainly not my idea of a cheap 1st stage satalite.

That said the very best of luck in your quest.

Edit - just noticed the intro of £2.60 sats in the lobby - that's an improvement certainly.....but the blessed ever present rebuy symbol is still there ........ ................... nah.....I can't bring meself to do it!!!!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Qualify for the SPT final! And watch Orford crash and burn!:
    Good luck Rich! I'll be in Nottingham definetely. Swansea was my first SPT and it was a great weekend. Unfortunately I finished 135th out of 150 when my A9 was crushed by A8 with a horrible 8 on the river whilst on your table! Suppose it makes it easier to beat my best SPT finish in Nottingham tho :P
    Posted by BZtbh
    hi matey... there will be a further hundred entrants in nottingham... it will be harder to finish higher than 135th
  • edited August 2010
    I'm gonna start my quest to try and qualify for SPT Nottingham sometime later this week but i totally agree with Lord Orford that any SPT is certainly one of the most enjoyable live tourneys you can be a part of!.

I made the final table at SPT Manchester in my very 1st live tourney and it was a superb feeling and if i'm honest i sooooooo want to make another SPT final table and it would be nice to do it at Nottingham especially as it's the biggie but i've got to qualify for it first so we shall see what happens!
  • edited August 2010

If Orford plans to crash & burn, I'll be there to watch. Time someone else was given the hot seat. ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Cheers chaps- except for Tikay obv

Yes, I'm now playing the 7.35pm rebuy- there's 7 runners- so I'm on the final table bubble...and how often do I get to say that?!

Lol
  • edited August 2010
    Yes, I know it's a rebuy. Yes, I know there were only 7 runners and yes I know, it's only been running for 20 minutes. But I'm ALL OVER THIS TOURNAMENT! See below...

ZOLA2504862.50  mogsy19573640  RICHORFORD2775  NBF772725  cazzie582585  bobbycat2255  spudgun7202157.50

• edited August 2010
    As mentioned elsewhere Rich I'd love to have a go at a fiver sat ......but the unwanted introduction of rebuys takes this out of my current BR range. No point in playing these things if you can't afford at least one rebuy and the essential add on....... £15.60 is most certainly not my idea of a cheap 1st stage satalite. That said the very best of luck in your quest. Edit - just noticed the intro of £2.60 sats in the lobby - that's an improvement certainly.....but the blessed ever present rebuy symbol is still there ........ ................... nah.....I can't bring meself to do it!!!!
    Posted by Dud_Butini
    Fair enough Dud- ty for the good luck message. Hope your bankroll gets up enough for you to have a go at these rebuys at some point...

:)
  • edited August 2010
    I'm gonna start my quest to try and qualify for SPT Nottingham sometime later this week but i totally agree with Lord Orford that any SPT is certainly one of the most enjoyable live tourneys you can be a part of!. I made the final table at SPT Manchester in my very 1st live tourney and it was a superb feeling and if i'm honest i sooooooo want to make another SPT final table and it would be nice to do it at Nottingham especially as it's the biggie but i've got to qualify for it first so we shall see what happens!
    Posted by OnlyOneCT
    Agreed Craig. They are genuinely great fun.

You're still a TKO traitor though!
  • edited August 2010

I know I will get slated for what I am about to say but.......

Why are playing in this Rich? Surely you will be 'given' a seat anyway?

Just trying to play devils advocate here but surely taking the chance 
     away from a  ordinary punter to qualify is wrong?

With the High rollers being able to buy in direct and presenters playing in the qualifiers......its going be tough to get in this IMHO. 

I personally will not play the rebuys because I think the idea is soooo wrong that you can KO a player who can then rebuy and eventually KO you. I hope to allocate some of my small BR soon to have a go at one of the Semi final FREEZEOUTS!

• edited August 2010
    see you all at 9.30
  • edited August 2010
    I know I will get slated for what I am about to say but....... Why are playing in this Rich? Surely you will be 'given' a seat anyway? Just trying to play devils advocate here but surely taking the chance   away from a  ordinary punter to qualify is wrong? With the High rollers being able to buy in direct and presenters playing in the qualifiers......its going be tough to get in this IMHO.  I personally will not play the rebuys because I think the idea is soooo wrong that you can KO a player who can then rebuy and eventually KO you. I hope to allocate some of my small BR soon to have a go at one of the Semi final FREEZEOUTS!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Hi Alan

Well, I would probably be playing in it anyway. If I qualify then I'm not going to get two seats! My 'original' one will go back into the mix.

Obv I might not qualify anyway and may not even be invited to the event- they've yet to decide who's going from our lot. 
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Rich

I applaud you sir, respect
    col
  • edited August 2010
    see you all at 9.30
    Posted by EdGiddins
    Lol- the dead money has arrived.

Look forward to battling you again Ed!

So that's James, Tikay, Ed and I all on the site tonight! It's PTP madness!!!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Qualify for the SPT final! And watch Orford crash and burn! : Agreed Craig. They are genuinely great fun. You're still a TKO traitor though!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    How can i be a TKO Traitor when YOU already lost the series against Tikay with 1 leg remaining?! :). One had to protect his own interests at that time and Tikay did warn me that if i did not join the old codgers society for TKOII that i would be his main target for some severe flack during SPT Newcastle so i had no option and despite being part of the winning side that easily beat that inane attempt of a team led by Lisa-Marie Donkplop in TKOII, up steps Father Dougal mylovelyhorsedonkplop Fitzgerald and flukes his way to a series victory in TKOIII which was the biggest travesty of justice!......

As far as i'm concerned i am still the greatest Orfordian legend and luckbox!!

That is all!....
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Qualify for the SPT final! And watch Orford crash and burn! : How can i be a TKO Traitor when YOU already lost the series against Tikay with 1 leg remaining?! :). One had to protect his own interests at that time and Tikay did warn me that if i did not join the old codgers society for TKOII that i would be his main target for some severe flack during SPT Newcastle so i had no option and despite being part of the winning side that easily beat that inane attempt of a team led by Lisa-Marie Donkplop in TKOII, up steps Father Dougal mylovelyhorsedonkplop Fitzgerald and flukes his way to a series victory in TKOIII which was the biggest travesty of justice!...... As far as i'm concerned i am still the greatest Orfordian legend and luckbox!! That is all!....
    Posted by OnlyOneCT
    Traitor!
  • edited August 2010
    So my first stab at qualifying for the SPT went extraordinarily well.

I finished on the final table in the cash!

Ok, so yes there were only 7 runners and by cashing I got £3.60 back of my £5.20 buy-in, but hey- no rebuys and no add-ons!
    Plus I was on the wrong end of two races which did me in in the space of about a minute from being 2nd in chips.

NBF7725415  cazzie5812785  mogsy195710440  ZOLA2509860  RICHORFORD05£3.60bobbycat06 spudgun72007

So- now I'm taking a shot at the 9.30 Semi. See you there!
  • edited August 2010
    Good luck Orford,

If you had more confidence in your ability you'd do well, don't listen to the critics just keep it orford.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Qualify for the SPT final! And watch Orford crash and burn! : Traitor!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Ooooooooooh Lisa-Marie style hissy fit i see haha lol!!!

Well at least Tikay appreiciated my "superb" efforts as a member of Team Tikay (I think lol!) even though i was not as effective as i was when i was on Team "I actually think West Bromwich Albion are pants and Aston Villa own football in da Midlands Innit!" Orford :)

GIDZO FTW IN THE 9:30!!!!!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Qualify for the SPT final! And watch Orford crash and burn! : Hi Alan Well, I would probably be playing in it anyway. If I qualify then I'm not going to get two seats! My 'original' one will go back into the mix. Obv I might not qualify anyway and may not even be invited to the event- they've yet to decide who's going from our lot. 
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Thank you for your reply. I hope you qualify.....I really do!. I also think you are the best looking (male) presenter on Sky Poker and the best card player bar none :)

(thanks for my prize on the club btw) lol
  • edited August 2010
    OK- now in the 9.30 along with Mr Ed Giddins.29 runners- 2 seats to the final.

Looking good so far...3rd out of 20

But just look who the short stack is!!!

mrwhizz726731.24  Eyeman5075  RICHORFORD4735  minty114015  MAXLOTUS3990  NBF773885  harbin19703785  RAKE0073105  VGOOCH3060  luckles12706.88  sara36dd082645  cazzie582440  Gavinxxxx1925  rats1071840  SoLack1670  MacMonster1630  FOLEYBOY11560  andrew19471380  _gruntpig_1330  EdGiddins491.88  petebryn021 Jiiimbo022 Manc99023 Elguy024 STAX025 mogsy1957026 Uzi_lover027 floridaphi028 massey10029
  • edited August 2010
    CMON EVERYBODY LET'S ALL GET BEHIND SKY POKER'S 6TH FAVOURITE FAMOUS OR SO BRUMMIE IN DICKY ORFORD!!!!

IN ORFORD WE TRUST! - Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!
  • edited August 2010
    ok- 13 left!

rats1078036.25  SoLack7845  harbin19706795  NBF775703.75  minty115473.76  RAKE0074965  Gavinxxxx3830  RICHORFORD3460  cazzie582890  mrwhizz722831.24  MAXLOTUS2790  sara36dd081898.12  luckles11481.88  FOLEYBOY1014

• edited August 2010
    minty117673.76
    rats1077186.25
    NBF776984.99
    SoLack6795
    harbin19706545
    sara36dd086252.48
    RAKE0075415
    RICHORFORD4460
    luckles13911.88
    MAXLOTUS2775.64
    10 left!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited August 2010
    Final table!

RAKE00717148.12  minty1112927.52  sara36dd0811347.48  luckles17111.88  harbin19705045  RICHORFORD4420  rats10707
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Rich,
    I was in a rebuy spt sat last nigt, but the rebuy format was not working, so spoilt my game, reported and had my money refunded.
    I had a similar problem in another rebuy tournament tonight, so not very happy.It will let yourebuy when you have lost all your chips, but not when you are below the standard amount, which normally , you can do.
    Has been reported , hope they sort this out soon, as it leaves a player who is short stacked at a disadvantage.
  • edited August 2010
    Oooooooooooooh buy in Rich or boost ur bankroll??? ;)

Lovely result sir................kind of :)
  • edited August 2010
    Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

sara36dd08580001Entry to £25,000 SPT FinalRAKE00702Entry to £25,000 SPT FinalRICHORFORD03£198

So- a good result: 3 out of 29. Cashing for £200. But it was on Sky's account and so it's their money now! And I bubbled on qualification! Congrats though to sara36dd and rake007.

But a good starting point in my campaign. I'll give it another bash tomorrow night. Cheers for the support and railing everyone and see you tomorrow!
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Rich, I was in a rebuy spt sat last nigt, but the rebuy format was not working, so spoilt my game, reported and had my money refunded. I had a similar problem in another rebuy tournament tonight, so not very happy.It will let yourebuy when you have lost all your chips, but not when you are below the standard amount, which normally , you can do. Has been reported , hope they sort this out soon, as it leaves a player who is short stacked at a disadvantage.
    Posted by wynne1938
    Glad you got the refunds Wynne and I'm sure they'll be on to that problem now that you've reported it.

:)
  • edited August 2010
    Very well done Rich you've got some heart mate I will say that. To try and qualify through the sats yourself even though you have every chance of beng given a seat anyway was impressive enough I thought. Then to be the bubble and brush off the fact that you don't even get to keep the money as it was Sky's account and in the same breath say "I'll try again tomorrow" is some going mate. I think they should call you Mr SkyPoker lol, well done mate.

JC

EDIT: Also, I think you should get Sky to fund the difference and buy you in directly now mate, that's what I'd be asking for lol.