You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......

15678911»

Comments

• edited October 2010

I think this is where sky is going wrong, by trying to market promotions like this by saying they are open to everyone, and trying to make people believe that everyone has a fair chance of getting in.

What sky really want from this is to be represented at live events by the best players on the site, (quite rightly) hence the 4 picks.

Sky should change their 'line' and aim it at the best, and people who want to become the best. 

Getting 1 point for winning a hand at nl4, and also 1 point for winning a hand at nl500 would just be a ridiculous way of finding the best players. The standard at nl4 is shocking, and I watched a 500nl game last night where the standard was quite brilliant. These are the guys that deserve to get picked, not beginners, average and or enthusiastic players. Enthusiasm isn't enough....you need to be the best on the site, that's the whole idea......

Total player was different, because with it being a long process, which involved lots of 1 on 1 conversation with the judges, there was no hiding place, if you weren't good enough, you would be found out, and wouldn't go any further. You couldn't "fluke it" - Whereas playing loads of nl4, then running good in 1 tourny, would be a total fluke.

Therefore, this team sky poker thing, is not open to everyone really, it's like saying the FA cup can be won by any 1 of 3 thousand teams. When we all know that only 10/15 have a realistic chance.

Sky should just come out and say they're looking for the best, and have designed a qualification system to ensure that the winner will be one of the best players on sky.

Maybe then the confusion/negativity will end, and we can all enjoy it for what it is. 

(also, TSP is an addition to the league freeroll, rather than a replacement - so there is still motivation for people like me to make the top 450 on the site and hopefully win a seat in the big £220 tourny, so us smaller players haven't been forgotten about. The best deserve the best prizes, it's the way it should be)

• edited October 2010
    Its interesting  the way the points are awarded in the different formats. Obviously it makes sense for anyone lucky enough to have time on their hands this month to have a real go at it.

The first month is vital, so you can get entry to all the league freerolls, and have a chance of making a TSP tourny in January.

In cash there seems to be no way that the lower limit players can compete with the big boys.

In MTTs, to make the top 30, big cashes in good tournies will probably be needed. But can a better player drop down a few levels and produce a string of results in smaller MTTs to gain enough points ? Or should you stick to the larger games, where luck will be needed to achieve several good results each month ? That may or may not work for me, on current form.

I think STT is probably the most interesting, having always played a few DYMs. Obviously you have to be good enough to win 7 out of 10 consistently so you are covering the entry fees and making a small profit. And where I would normally probably play the majority of DYMs at around £20, it makes sense with the points structure, to multitable and play 5 or 6 at £3 or £5 instead.

Some guys got off to a real flyer at the start of the month, and its a real battle to catch them. I thought it may be a little boring, but its not, there are some good players around, and I am enjoying it, some really fun games.

I am sure that Sky are gaining £££s from the extra business, but they deserve it for a brave promotion.

Good luck to all !

• edited October 2010
    Spot on dohhhhhhhhhh!

Between your 'humourus' posts you speak a lot of sense.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......:
    Spot on dohhhhhhhhhh! Between your 'humourus' posts you speak a lot of sense.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Yes i agreed with a lot of what dohhhhh said there too.

Its amazing how much sense he can make when he is sober:)
  • edited October 2010

Couldn't agree more with Dohhhhh and Penguin7, very well said and bang on in my opinion.

• edited October 2010
    Maths has never been my strong point, Mere Novice will more than likely correct me here, but I just thought I would try to investigate the feasibility of trying to reach the TSP tournament by playing Russian Roulette.

Not that I intend to try it I might add !

On current standings 1500 points would put you right in the mix. £2.20 buyin Heads up Russian Roulette looks to be the most efficient at generating points, giving 3 points for a win.

Assuming the law of averages applies (ok vince, you will probably tell me there is no such thing! ) and you win 50% of the games, you would need to play 1000 games to gain 1500 points.

1000 games would cost you £200 in 20p entry fees.

But we are now only a sixth of the way through the qualifying period.

Anyone got £1200 to spare ?

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......:
    I think this is where sky is going wrong, by trying to market promotions like this by saying they are open to everyone, and trying to make people believe that everyone has a fair chance of getting in. What sky really want from this is to be represented at live events by the best players on the site, (quite rightly) hence the 4 picks. Sky should change their 'line' and aim it at the best, and people who want to become the best.  Getting 1 point for winning a hand at nl4, and also 1 point for winning a hand at nl500 would just be a ridiculous way of finding the best players. The standard at nl4 is shocking, and I watched a 500nl game last night where the standard was quite brilliant. These are the guys that deserve to get picked, not beginners, average and or enthusiastic players. Enthusiasm isn't enough....you need to be the best on the site, that's the whole idea...... Total player was different, because with it being a long process, which involved lots of 1 on 1 conversation with the judges, there was no hiding place, if you weren't good enough, you would be found out, and wouldn't go any further. You couldn't "fluke it" - Whereas playing loads of nl4, then running good in 1 tourny, would be a total fluke. Therefore, this team sky poker thing, is not open to everyone really, it's like saying the FA cup can be won by any 1 of 3 thousand teams. When we all know that only 10/15 have a realistic chance. Sky should just come out and say they're looking for the best, and have designed a qualification system to ensure that the winner will be one of the best players on sky. Maybe then the confusion/negativity will end, and we can all enjoy it for what it is.  (also, TSP is an addition to the league freeroll, rather than a replacement - so there is still motivation for people like me to make the top 450 on the site and hopefully win a seat in the big £220 tourny, so us smaller players haven't been forgotten about. The best deserve the best prizes, it's the way it should be)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Brilliant dohhhh. Nice post
  • edited October 2010
    what get's me more annoyed about the league is that people get points from playing roulette, i know its a good way of sky making money, but if you look at stt league i bet a big precentage of players in the top 10  play more roulette than others, when i logged on earlier there way 1 player playing  4 games of roulette in one go for about 2 hours...joke realy if people are that mad to finish in the top 10