You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......

Comments

• edited October 2010

haveing looked and chatted with a few people i now understand and see why sky have done this

i fully support the idea and anyone who is lucky enough to get into it

3 months off mtts for me to see if i can make the top 30 each month

i do bealive this is a great promotion and thank the suits for it

will be interesting to see as time goes who stays and who leaves the team this could cause more forum fun

so in the end fantastic idea good luck and all my supprt to all involved
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......:
    Ive been watching all the K88 v Lol' HU games lately, but was offline last night. How id it end up Irish-Man? was there a clear winner??
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

lolufold went 8k up & kate clawed back 4.5 k.

so about 2pm ish it finished 

lolufold had 4k ish  kate had 5k ish .

so lolufold ended 3k ish up .

but last week i think kate won 4k from lolufold .

rover & out ish !

• edited October 2010
    i would like to wish all the players the best of luck in this. James i was not complaining about you being in this i just wanted to know why you was picked over, erm lets say sam1986, browndog, offshoot or ajs4385 and a few others.  As we both know these players over the past few months have been playing the site on a regular/daily basis. I thought sky would want to reward these players.
    Posted by freechips1

Lol so you are complaining. Mate its quality not quantity you ever heard of the saying. Yeah some of these players are decent you've mentioned and I'm sure they will get a chance if Sky think there good enough.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Lol so you are complaining. Mate its quality not quantity you ever heard of the saying. Yeah some of these players are decent you've mentioned and I'm sure they will get a chance if Sky think there good enough.
    Posted by lJAMESl
    Not really complaining, just asking a question. Is that not allowed?
  • edited October 2010

just a thought does the entire sky poker team have to appear and play in blackpool

i know tikay lml and dan are going

are the others?
  • edited October 2010
    I wasn't going to reply as I feel I didn't really need to explain myself because the people that need to know already do. But because the person complaining about me being picked because "I rarely play on the site" clearly isn't in the know. Hello Freechips ;-). So you think I haven't played that much on Sky in the last few months and you might be right in thinking that, but like everything in life there is always another story to be told so you really shouldn't jump to any conclusions. From June to August I was in Las Vegas playing the WSOP I stayed there for a period of 2 months I only took my laptop with me where I played live most days I had very little success as did many other players and the buy-ins were pretty hefty. I'd been saving for a long time for that Vegas trip and things didn't go to plan unfortunately the only thing I racked up was food bills, hotel bills and tournament buy-ins. I did have a fun time even though it was a bit depressing to lose. Losing isn't something I'm not very good at. When I got back from Vegas I instantly turned my computer on ready to grind poker to earn back my losses and remind myself of the real world, because Vegas truly is a fantasy land. It can be the place where dreams are made and also nightmares :). I switched on my computer and immediately windows wouldn't load I had problems with it before but nothing like this, anyway to cut a long story short.. My computer had broken It was only 8 months old (well within warranty) and it cost me a lot of money I bought the best thing I could find as I take poker very seriously and am a serious multi-tabler. Anyway after phoning up the company who I wont mention as legal action had to be taken. They claimed they could fix it on the phone after failing 8 times they sent out a hardware engineer who replaced the hard-drives, motherboard and memory. Within 10 minutes of use the computer wouldn't start again. After loads of phone calls and complaints, they said If I paid they would send me a software engineer out pretty cheeky but I was desperate and just wanted my computer up and running.  Another week goes by the software engineer does everything tells me personally it needs replacing and says he's not sure how long it will work for after sorting all the drivers and re-installing the operating system. It instantly fails as he leaves I ring and complain more, the company claim its a software issue and still claim they can resolve it on the phone. I literally couldn't take any more of there bs so I got a solicitor involved with a threatening letter 2 weeks later they got in touch and have now replaced me with a brand new computer. They messed me around for about 2 months before anything was done. I will never be purchasing anything from them ever again. Now all the people (Suits) that needed to know about this already did, I didn't feel the need to post it on the forum and I don't want to play on my laptop that can only handle 4 tables at a time that overlap and I can't play on mini-view. That tilts me and I'd rather not play if I'm going to play badly. I'd rather just wait till my computer was replaced and start grinding properly again. That's my story right there 100% genuine. I'm also pretty sure I've been on this site longer than almost everyone who posts on this forum. I've been dedicated to Sky for many years and find it a bit of an insult that you would question my loyalty to the site but I guess you wasn't to know?! I also think the selections in the team are really good the players are all great and good in there own ways and anyone that doubts that is pretty foolish or simply jealous. As it clearly states their are chances for others to join so If you are good enough I have no doubt that you will be given a chance. Gl all and see you on the tables lJAMESl
    Posted by lJAMESl

Whatever James... I think we all know you're just the mascot ;)

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Not really complaining, just asking a question. Is that not allowed?
    Posted by MADMOO
    +1.

It appears to some degree that we are only supposed to agree with what is going on and to not ask questions or query decisions. That is not fair.
    Each and every one of the community have a voice whether we like/dislike/agree/disagree with what is said or done.

This is a democratic society with freedom of speech. Unless of course we are all supposed to act like olden day Catholics where people just used to sit there with no books and no room for different ideas or debate and just accept what the priest said. The word `brain washed`  springs to mind.

Controversial- I sincerely hope so!
  • edited October 2010

Furthermore, If the process of selection had been done in a similar fashion say for example to `Total player`, then I feel there would have been very little of what we are seeing here because the choice decisions would be crystal clear to all.
  • edited October 2010
     Another idea that maybe would have prevented this thread from going the way it has is that it may have been a better idea not to choose anyone as the first 5 in the first place. Instead, maybe to start  the process with just an analyst and presenter. Followed by ALL Skypoker players competing for a place in the team.
  • edited October 2010
      Another idea that maybe would have prevented this thread from going the way it has is that it may have been a better idea not to choose anyone as the first 5 in the first place. Instead, maybe to start  the process with just an analyst and presenter. Followed by ALL Skypoker players competing for a place in the team.
    Posted by candi

perfect

think thats what we expected a team we all had a equal chance
  • edited October 2010
    Sky Poker Peeps,

First of all lets say congratulations to the Players who have made team sky, they all in the own way deserve to represent the site.......they have all put a serious amount of time in playing on the site, playing live events and posting on the forum...

Few reasons why i think they have made great choices,

James- Outstanding player playing the highest levels in cash on sky and has 100k in live tourney earnings

Wayne- Who has put more hours into sky than wayne? Great player, great guy and deserves his place!

Dan- Dan got through the total player so has earned the right to represent sky, top lad and great player

Redman- 21st at wsop main out of what 7k runners? takes on anyone at any levels on sky.....fearless player , need i say more........

yes there are players who are not in it who have maybe their time to come lets wish them well and make the site even better as the more exposure we get the better it is for all of us.............

Hope this clears things up lol

Gibbo

• edited October 2010
    everbody has got an equal chance if you work arrd,anyway thought there was already a team sky who incidently arnt doing very well in the league ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Furthermore, If the process of selection had been done in a similar fashion say for example to `Total player`, then I feel there would have been very little of what we are seeing here because the choice decisions would be crystal clear to all.
    Posted by candi
    The main point here is that Team Sky Poker is NOT total player.

Therefore the community does not get to choose or decide anything by means of a vote as was the case with TP.

It's a different concept and so has been managed accordingly. 

Of course debate is always welcomed and encouraged on this forum... and any questions will be answered (as they have been so far). 

However it isn't fair or right that the players that HAVE been put forward to kick this off are criticised or have their game/attendance/form picked apart as they have had no choice in the process of how and why they were asked. Only a decision whether or not to accept the position and what goes with it. Which, thankfully, they did.

Furthermore I think Tikay has already adequately explained that the final say in the players was out of the hands of the players themselves and indeed out of his hands.

I think from reading a few comments on this thread that the situation was misread and possibly misrepresented. Hopefully now that a bit more light has been shed on things and questions have been answered you all have a better idea of how TSP works and why Sky thought these 4 players would be great ambassadors to kick of proceedings. Personally I think their stats speak for themselves.

The most important aspect of Team Sky Poker is it's ability to evolve every quarter and ultimately it is up to you guys individually.. if you want to be a part of it.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : The main point here is that Team Sky Poker is NOT total player. Therefore the community does not get to choose or decide anything by means of a vote as was the case with TP. It's a different concept and so has been managed accordingly.  Of course debate is always welcomed and encouraged on this forum... and any questions will be answered (as they have been so far).  However it isn't fair or right that the players that HAVE been put forward to kick this off are criticised or have their game/attendance/form picked apart as they have had no choice in the process of how and why they were asked. Only a decision whether or not to accept the position and what goes with it. Which, thankfully, they did. Furthermore I think Tikay has already adequately explained that the final say in the players was out of the hands of the players themselves and indeed out of his hands. I think from reading a few comments on this thread that the situation was misread and possibly misrepresented. Hopefully now that a bit more light had been shed on things and questions have been answered you all have a better idea of how TSP works and why Sky thought these 4 players would be great ambassadors to kick of proceedings. Personally I think their stats speak for themselves. The most important aspect of Team Sky Poker is it's ability to evolve every quarter and ultimately it is up to you guys individually.. if you want to be a part of it.
    Posted by LML
    OMG - I never thought the day would come...

Perfect post, at the end of the day the team has been chosen so lets get behind them and show our support. Personally I think Orford should have been chosen but that's another debate ;) hehe

Lets not forget in all this,gl to you as well LML xx
  • edited October 2010
    Hi LM

Very well said, I for one think its a great idea, having said that, the odds of me getting on tem sky poker are very slim indeed lol, but hey :), good luck to one and all (If i do ever get on team sky I get to sit next to LM on any table ;))
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : OMG - I never thought the day would come... Perfect post, at the end of the day the team has been chosen so lets get behind them and show our support. Personally I think Orford should have been chosen but that's another debate ;) hehe Lets not forget in all this,gl to you as well LML xx
    Posted by dylan12
    Don't MOCK me Dylan ;)
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : The main point here is that Team Sky Poker is NOT total player. Therefore the community does not get to choose or decide anything by means of a vote as was the case with TP. It's a different concept and so has been managed accordingly.  Of course debate is always welcomed and encouraged on this forum... and any questions will be answered (as they have been so far).  However it isn't fair or right that the players that HAVE been put forward to kick this off are criticised or have their game/attendance/form picked apart as they have had no choice in the process of how and why they were asked. Only a decision whether or not to accept the position and what goes with it. Which, thankfully, they did. Furthermore I think Tikay has already adequately explained that the final say in the players was out of the hands of the players themselves and indeed out of his hands. I think from reading a few comments on this thread that the situation was misread and possibly misrepresented. Hopefully now that a bit more light has been shed on things and questions have been answered you all have a better idea of how TSP works and why Sky thought these 4 players would be great ambassadors to kick of proceedings. Personally I think their stats speak for themselves. The most important aspect of Team Sky Poker is it's ability to evolve every quarter and ultimately it is up to you guys individually.. if you want to be a part of it.
    Posted by LML
    ...and the different concept is?
  • edited October 2010
    Tikay

"Dan has been a quite magnificent Ambassador for Sky Poker. He conducts himself with dignity"

Really Tikay,

SPT final DTD, sit and go Saturday evening. Dan was clearly intoxicated at the table, the dealer requested that he not hold his drink over the table, Dan ignored this request and carried on drinking. I thought drink and poker didn't mix for serious players. I was also under the impression that dealers were to be respected and their polite requests followed. There were others at the table who thought Dan's behaviour more than sub par for any poker player let alone one you describe as a quite magnificent Ambassador for Sky Poker, one who conducts himself with dignity!

In his interview pre the SPT final he admitted on camera that he was up until 5.30am the previous night drinking, hardly the preperation for skys premier live event that would be recommended by the top pro's.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Don't MOCK me Dylan ;)
    Posted by LML
    No MOCKage just Love and Support :) x
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : ...and the different concept is?
    Posted by candi
    TP and this are 2 very different projects :) x
  • edited October 2010
    Tikay "Dan has been a quite magnificent Ambassador for Sky Poker. He conducts himself with dignity" Really Tikay, SPT final DTD, sit and go Saturday evening. Dan was clearly intoxicated at the table, the dealer requested that he not hold his drink over the table, Dan ignored this request and carried on drinking. I thought drink and poker didn't mix for serious players. I was also under the impression that dealers were to be respected and their polite requests followed. There were others at the table who thought Dan's behaviour more than sub par for any poker player let alone one you describe as a quite magnificent Ambassador for Sky Poker, one who conducts himself with dignity! In his interview pre the SPT final he admitted on camera that he was up until 5.30am the previous night drinking, hardly the preperation for skys premier live event that would be recommended by the top pro's.
    Posted by stien
    So he isnt allowed to have a drink now? during a fun sit and go!

What a load of nonsense, alot of the top poker players like a drink!

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : ...and the different concept is?
    Posted by candi
    I thought that was pretty clear if you've read the breakdown on the Team Sky Poker page Candi :)

Total Player.. Players mentored and a process of elimination to get to one final player who wins a prize

Team Sky Poker.. A team of players who through points and play also get entered into live tournaments. Anyone can conceivably involve themselves and make it into the next quarter of the team.

There is no mentoring. Players go on the skill they have so far and of course the skills they build.
    There is no FINAL WINNER who get's one massive prize.
    Everyone who is a part of team Sky Poker will be part of a TEAM for the minimum of the three month period. 

Of course there are other perks etc.. but these will all be revealed in good time.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : TP and this are 2 very different projects :) x
    Posted by dylan12
    Thank you hunni

I`m still awaiting the response of what makes it different as I`m not aware of the difference. And I only said such as TP , not that is should be xx
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Lol so you are complaining. Mate its quality not quantity you ever heard of the saying. Yeah some of these players are decent you've mentioned and I'm sure they will get a chance if Sky think there good enough.
    Posted by lJAMESl
    when or where have i complained? i have not. 
    The question i have asked can not be answered by you, it can only be answered by the people who have picked the players.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : I thought that was pretty clear if you've read the breakdown on the Team Sky Poker page Candi :) Total Player.. Players mentored and a process of elimination to get to one final player who wins a prize Team Sky Poker.. A team of players who through points and play also get entered into live tournaments. Anyone can conceivably involve themselves and make it into the next quarter of the team. There is no mentoring. Players go on the skill they have so far and of course the skills they build. There is no FINAL WINNER who get's one massive prize. Everyone who is a part of team Sky Poker will be part of a TEAM for the minimum of the three month period.  Of course their are other perks etc.. but these will all be revealed in good time.
    Posted by LML

Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......

posted at 9/10/2010 6:48 PM BST on SkyPoker.com
    First: 21/5/2009
    Last: 9/10/2010

and  your opinion about this? Why couldnt the first team be made available to ALL Skypoker players originally instead of the first 5 chosen?
  • edited October 2010
    lol so much jealousy in this thread.

Sky have brought an excellent new concept to the site.  They've given the chance for ANYONE who puts the hands in to be a sponsered player. Unlike other sites they haven't gone to some guy whos binked a couple of GUKPTs and then tied them down to an exclusive deal.  They've gone to players who have all been on this site from the start.

To launch the concept, they have chosen some of the most well known and loyal community members of the site. These members are also well known in the poker community in general for their success on the live poker scene.  I play a lot live and whenever I mention that I play 90pc of my online hands on Sky they generally lol like morons, having these guys as part of Team Sky Poker will hopefully change that and bring a lot of traffic to the site can only be a good thing.

Yet people are moaning about their amount of hands in the last couple of months, one guys drinking antics at one event when he was NOT a sponsered player and people moaning about it being a democratic decision.

This is a business decision and the chosen 5 have all been chosen on a variety of criteria.  And for all we know other members of the Sky Poker community could hvae been offered the chance but couldn't take Sky up on it due to personal reasons.

Stop being idiots and think about every single reason why these guys have been chosen rather than coming out with the odd comment about why they shouldn't have been. 

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... posted at 9/10/2010 6:48 PM BST on SkyPoker.com candi Posts: 2229 First: 21/5/2009 Last: 9/10/2010   Another idea that maybe would have prevented this thread from going the way it has is that it may have been a better idea not to choose anyone as the first 5 in the first place. Instead, maybe to start  the process with just an analyst and presenter. Followed by ALL Skypoker players competing for a place in the team. and  your opinion about this? Why couldnt the first team be made available to ALL Skypoker players originally instead of the first 5 chosen?
    Posted by candi
    Why should it be? (With all due respect).

As I've reiterated the team is an evolving body. It would have been something else entirely if it had been opened up to find the first 5 from conception. Sky Poker wanted to start with a team from the outset, and it took them 9months of working out why, who and what before that happened.

It's done. It's decided. So to be honest what happens NEXT is what's up to you guys.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Why should it be?  As I've reiterated the team is an evolving body. It would have been something else entirely if it had been opened up to find the first 5 from conception. Sky Poker wanted to start with a team from the outset which and it took them 9months of working out why, who and what.  It's done. It's decided. So to be honest what happens NEXT is what's up to you guys.  
    Posted by LML
    ...and why shouldn`t it be?

...in what way would it have been something entirely different if it had been opened up to find the first 5 from conception?
  • edited October 2010
    lol so much jealousy in this thread. Sky have brought an excellent new concept to the site.  They've given the chance for ANYONE who puts the hands in to be a sponsered player. Unlike other sites they haven't gone to some guy whos binked a couple of GUKPTs and then tied them down to an exclusive deal.  They've gone to players who have all been on this site from the start. To launch the concept, they have chosen some of the most well known and loyal community members of the site. These members are also well known in the poker community in general for their success on the live poker scene.  I play a lot live and whenever I mention that I play 90pc of my online hands on Sky they generally lol like morons, having these guys as part of Team Sky Poker will hopefully change that and bring a lot of traffic to the site can only be a good thing. Yet people are moaning about their amount of hands in the last couple of months, one guys drinking antics at one event when he was NOT a sponsered player and people moaning about it being a democratic decision. This is a business decision and the chosen 5 have all been chosen on a variety of criteria.  And for all we know other members of the Sky Poker community could hvae been offered the chance but couldn't take Sky up on it due to personal reasons. Stop being idiots and think about every single reason why these guys have been chosen rather than coming out with the odd comment about why they shouldn't have been. 
    posted by Scotty77

I really don`t think that any of the Skypoker community are jealous of those players that have been picked. You don`t know that, so I see that as an unfair accusation to the community members that you are implying are jealous.
    Everyone  knows that the 4 players that have been chosen are good poker players and I am confident that we all share the same idea and wish them well.
    I think you are misunderstanding and misrepresenting community members by saying they are jealous when all they are doing is asking questions AND THAT IS ALL.

• edited October 2010
    Surely its obvious why? Because the important people at Sky who make the decisions have better knowledge (stats, win-rates, ability, personality, live record) than any member of the community could ever realise. 

Their clearly saying this is a decision that doesn't involve the forum, as none of you are qualified to forward your opinion. Enough said imo. The bitterness is getting a bit embarassing and putting a downer on what can be a great thing.