You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......

Comments

• edited October 2010

".....I guess the simple fact is who the presenters and analysts feel, based on their viewing of the players, will succeed best at the events they're sending them to......"

There's quite a disconnect there, I'm afraid.

The Presenters & Analysts (with one exception) had no input to this decision. They work for Channel 865, & the selection decisions were made by the Senior Suits, with the final decision resting, I think, between Des Duffy, Adam Harmer, & Richard Milner. 

The one exception I alluded to refers to myself. I wear a number of hats here, & I was asked to submit the names I felt would best serve Sky Poker for the initial 3 month period. I did so, & I would imagine that the Suits looked at the list I sent, then made their own decisions as they felt appropriate.

As far as I am concerned, I can make a good case for any number of other Players to be included, but we can't squeeze a quart into a pint pot, & I feel the Team we have is excellent, & a great case can be made for every one of them. Cases can be made for many others, too, but there's plenty of time ahead, & if they are good enough,they'll get their chance.  

The "selection criteria" for this initial 3 month period is pretty much decribed in the Post I made about Dan Brown. All the Team tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned. Many others would also tick those boxes, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

It HAD been planned that a three month qualifying period, (October - December) would be where Team Sky Poker began, but the Suits felt it would be well received if they kick-started it early, to show players what it's all about.

Hence, the Founding Five were hand-picked.  
  • edited October 2010

"....Right then first of all i cannot argue with the picks that have been made,all quality imo even tikay haha,only problem i have is with the top 30 process so many players are going to miss out on this chance and so are sky.because you play at a higher  level therefore gain more league points does not make you a better player imo....."

We could enter a deep debate here as to "better players", but I think it's fair to say that evey player has the same chance - if they are good enough. A player who has the right ability can work his way up the Levels. Exactly as Dan, Wayne, Reds, & James have.

As to me, it is not planned that I will be playing any of the Events - but if I do, (one never knows) I would rather do so with my own money.
  • edited October 2010

Alan (Maxally) said......

On a more serious note, best of luck to all of you on the Sky poker Team and future team members. I genuinely wish you all the best.

FlashFlush replied along the same lines, too, also expressing certain wishes.

Several others have been supportive, & more tellingly, most gracious in their genuine wishes that the Founding Five run well, & that we can all have some fun supporting them. Which IS the idea - that every one of us can feel part of this, via the Live Updates, photos, interviews, maybe Railing some of them at the actual Live Events, chatting to them at the Sky Poker Tables & on the Forum, da de da.  

We certainly hoped that the prevailing view would be the very strong Comunity spirit that courses through this Site. Realistically, though, we knew that poker players being what they are, a few churlish comments were inevitable.

I very much hope we can move on now, & that the Community can support these five players. And whilst doing so, aspire to be in the January Team Sky Poker Draft.

• edited October 2010
    Good luck to all the team sky players!

I loved total player so it would be good to keep that too! (fingers crossed)
  • edited October 2010

SOZ TK ,

NOTE FOR RAILERS / WATCHERS .

LOL & KATE ARE IT 5K IN HIGH STAKES CASH TABLE .

ENJOY GUYS/GALS 
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......:
      SOZ TK ,  NOTE FOR RAILERS / WATCHERS .  LOL & KATE ARE IT 5K IN HIGH STAKES CASH TABLE .  ENJOY GUYS/GALS 
    Posted by IRISHROVER

JUST BEING AN 3.5K POT TO LOL !

• edited October 2010

The "technical questions" as to qualification for the next draft will have to wait, I'm afraid, as I don't really know enough "in-depth" about it personally, but I'll have a read up, & get back to you on them.

One more before I retire for the night.

Sky Poker have deliberately "gone against the grain" as to Online Poker Rooms in quite specifically selecting ONLY players who are well-known & established Sky Poker regulars.

Rooms such as 'Stars pay huge sums of money to recruit complete "outsiders" to their Team, such as Boris Becker, & Liv Boeree, etc, & I am delighted for them both, I really am.

But just imagine, given this Thread, the reaction if Sky Poker had gone outside the existing Community & regular players to sign up some big name Pro. I shudder to think what the reaction might have been, given some of the comments in this Thread.

We all "know" all of these players, & I hope we all get right behind every one of them now. 
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah well said Dan Anyone who has played or watched him play can testify how good he really is!! Everytime you look at the cash tables from 100nl - 300nl you will see how he plays and builds his stack quickly and mantains it whilst boosting his BR on a regular basis. In mtt's, when the DS was on the Sunday Evenings at £55 a pop - Dan was probably the biggest winner in terms of ROI in that event so that shows his class in that format as well where it had fierce competition with the quality of runners in it. Dan states that this is his most succesfull year - you only need to look at his stats to confirm this - they go through the roof and not only on this site but others as well where he has binked some impressive results this year!! He was the winner of TP and now we are picking the best of Sky to begin Team Sky so this has been an incredible year for him and long may it continue so for that I wish Dan and the rest of them the very best of luck and look forward to supporting them in their exciting journey!!
    Posted by dylan12
    Just wanted to say, Dyl, I really appreciated the text you sent me this evening, supporting the Team. I had, in fact, expected it, & you did not disappoint.

I had to go to a bit of a function thingie this evening, & James Hartigan, Lisa-Marie, & Sky-Mandy were all there, along with the great & good of the poker world, including Joe Beevers, Barney Boatman, Neil Channing, & many many more.

An odd sort of evening, really, highs & lows & all that.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great weekend.

• edited October 2010

Just wanted to get the 100th post on this thread!!!

Thank you for your replies so far Tikay, it is much appreciated.
  • edited October 2010
    This is an excellent addition to the site.

Obviously the selection process is gonna be heavily weighted to those who can put in some serious hours, however there is no other poker site that can put the 'dream' of being a sponsered poker player within reachable grasp.

All of the chosen line up are regular Sky Poker players.  I used to play with LJamesL on here over 2 years ago...

I look forward to the progress of this, and it is excellent for Sky Poker in general.  This is something that will bring in a lot of new players, not just from casual players who will now see the Sky Poker logo at some major live events, but also because of the structure of the selection process does mean that anyone who puts the work/hours in has a fairly decent chance of becoming a member of Team Sky Poker.

EDIT:  This also couldn't come at a better time, as the download client will really make a big difference and it really is coming soon guys.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : JUST BEING AN 3.5K POT TO LOL !
    Posted by IRISHROVER

10k on table now .

• edited October 2010
    iv read every post but not sure iv got it right i havnt been on here long. theres goin to be a 3 month qualifying league to determine who gets in to team sky? but they have hand picked the stating 5? yet even if this 5 do not perform they may still be kept in the team if they do somthing else right? so sky could stop joe blogs who had a good run for 3 months joining the team as he/she is not a known player?
    this is more like a goverment picking who they want to do a job over somone who would be better at that job in favour of friends....
  • edited October 2010
    The "technical questions" as to qualification for the next draft will have to wait, I'm afraid, as I don't really know enough "in-depth" about it personally, but I'll have a read up, & get back to you on them. One more before I retire for the night. Sky Poker have deliberately "gone against the grain" as to Online Poker Rooms in quite specifically selecting ONLY players who are well-known & established Sky Poker regulars. Rooms such as 'Stars pay huge sums of money to recruit complete "outsiders" to their Team, such as Boris Becker, & Liv Boeree, etc, & I am delighted for them both, I really am. But just imagine, given this Thread, the reaction if Sky Poker had gone outside the existing Community & regular players to sign up some big name Pro. I shudder to think what the reaction might have been, given some of the comments in this Thread. We all "know" all of these players, & I hope we all get right behind every one of them now. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,

You`re not wrong!! ; ) xx

Our community is solid and united.  Long live Skypoker and our community!
    It is my belief that we all ARE behind the players and wish them all the very best on their journey. We are behind each and every one of them 110% as we were with Total Player.
    I think it was just a matter that some points needed a little clearing up and that is all xx
  • edited October 2010
    I wasn't going to reply as I feel I didn't really need to explain myself because the people that need to know already do. But because the person complaining about me being picked because "I rarely play on the site" clearly isn't in the know. Hello Freechips ;-). So you think I haven't played that much on Sky in the last few months and you might be right in thinking that, but like everything in life there is always another story to be told so you really shouldn't jump to any conclusions.

From June to August I was in Las Vegas playing the WSOP I stayed there for a period of 2 months I only took my laptop with me where I played live most days I had very little success as did many other players and the buy-ins were pretty hefty. I'd been saving for a long time for that Vegas trip and things didn't go to plan unfortunately the only thing I racked up was food bills, hotel bills and tournament buy-ins. I did have a fun time even though it was a bit depressing to lose. Losing isn't something I'm not very good at.

When I got back from Vegas I instantly turned my computer on ready to grind poker to earn back my losses and remind myself of the real world, because Vegas truly is a fantasy land. It can be the place where dreams are made and also nightmares :).

I switched on my computer and immediately windows wouldn't load I had problems with it before but nothing like this, anyway to cut a long story short.. My computer had broken It was only 8 months old (well within warranty) and it cost me a lot of money I bought the best thing I could find as I take poker very seriously and am a serious multi-tabler.
    Anyway after phoning up the company who I wont mention as legal action had to be taken. They claimed they could fix it on the phone after failing 8 times they sent out a hardware engineer who replaced the hard-drives, motherboard and memory. Within 10 minutes of use the computer wouldn't start again. After loads of phone calls and complaints, they said If I paid they would send me a software engineer out pretty cheeky but I was desperate and just wanted my computer up and running. 
    Another week goes by the software engineer does everything tells me personally it needs replacing and says he's not sure how long it will work for after sorting all the drivers and re-installing the operating system. It instantly fails as he leaves I ring and complain more, the company claim its a software issue and still claim they can resolve it on the phone. I literally couldn't take any more of there bs so I got a solicitor involved with a threatening letter 2 weeks later they got in touch and have now replaced me with a brand new computer. They messed me around for about 2 months before anything was done. I will never be purchasing anything from them ever again.

Now all the people (Suits) that needed to know about this already did, I didn't feel the need to post it on the forum and I don't want to play on my laptop that can only handle 4 tables at a time that overlap and I can't play on mini-view. That tilts me and I'd rather not play if I'm going to play badly. I'd rather just wait till my computer was replaced and start grinding properly again. That's my story right there 100% genuine.

I'm also pretty sure I've been on this site longer than almost everyone who posts on this forum. I've been dedicated to Sky for many years and find it a bit of an insult that you would question my loyalty to the site but I guess you wasn't to know?!

I also think the selections in the team are really good the players are all great and good in there own ways and anyone that doubts that is pretty foolish or simply jealous. As it clearly states their are chances for others to join so If you are good enough I have no doubt that you will be given a chance.

Gl all and see you on the tables

lJAMESl

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : 10k on table now .
    Posted by IRISHROVER

just being a 5.5k pot to kate !
  • edited October 2010
    iv read every post but not sure iv got it right i havnt been on here long. theres goin to be a 3 month qualifying league to determine who gets in to team sky? but they have hand picked the stating 5? yet even if this 5 do not perform they may still be kept in the team if they do somthing else right? so sky could stop joe blogs who had a good run for 3 months joining the team as he/she is not a known player? this is more like a goverment picking who they want to do a job over somone who would be better at that job in favour of friends....
    Posted by amanda1983
    No, that is not correct.

Three new players will join the Team in January.

I have no idea if the existing 5 will all retain their places in the Team - but I hope they do.

The Founding Five are here to get Team Sky Poker started with, we hope, a bit of a bang, & to show those trying to make the Team what it's all about. In fact, in my personal view, they all thoroughly deserve their initial selection. I cannot begrudge any one of them their selection.

The January Draft will be transparent, & visible to all. Whoever qualifies will get in the Team, and I hope Sky Poker may even consider another "Wild-Card".

• edited October 2010
    as a small  time poker player i feel this new setup will only benefit online pros and players with money to waste. even if u get into this 30 player torni and win i for won cant go up and down  the country playing in big tornis as much as i would love to but work and family commitments come first. sky poker seems to becoming a site pampered to thier high rollers which is fine but remember your small players as well we contribute to your site as well. one question has the top 10 players in the league lost the chance to win league money hope not.
    Posted by CHILLIE
    So basically you want a competition where you dont have to put any work in cos you dont have the time and the prize should be something that doesnt inconvenience you?

Nothing about this is exclusive. If you want to win it youve got to put in the effort, they arent pandering to anyone. They want the winners to be the best players. Its fine saying "what about us small stakes players." Well do you think you really deserve it just as much as someone whos worked hard enough to make it to the top levels and plays on the site a lot more?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : No, that is not correct. Three new players will join the Team in January . I have no idea if the existing 5 will all retain their places in the Team - but I hope they do. The Founding Five are here to get Team Sky Poker started with, we hope, a bit of a bang, & to show those trying to make the Team what it's all about. In fact, in my personal view, they all thoroughly deserve their initial selection. I cannot begrudge anyone of them their selection. The January Draft will be transparent, & visible to all. Whoever qualifies will get in the Team. and I hope Sky Poker may even consider another "Wild-Card".  
    Posted by Tikay10
    thanks for clearing that up for me tikay.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Hi candy, ty for the well wishes. When i say ' people will be against it' i am not implying that people who have already posted on the subject are against the idea. I merely envisage that the concept will not be liked by all, because it is in our nature to form opinions on subjects. Which i am all for.   Its generally what happens when sites bring in new concepts. Some people dont like change, others do. Its all personal preference.  There are no reasons from a personal point of view why i would be against it, but i obviously cant speak for others who will have their own views. Hope this explains what i meant.
    Posted by dantb10
    Hi Dan,
    Sorry only just saw your post and Thanks for your reply. Yes I see now what you meant was that some people may not like the idea. I gotcha hun. 
     The very best of luck to you Dan and I hope you go a long way. xx
  • edited October 2010
    as a small  time poker player i feel this new setup will only benefit online pros and players with money to waste. even if u get into this 30 player torni and win i for won cant go up and down  the country playing in big tornis as much as i would love to but work and family commitments come first. sky poker seems to becoming a site pampered to thier high rollers which is fine but remember your small players as well we contribute to your site as well. one question has the top 10 players in the league lost the chance to win league money hope not.
    Posted by CHILLIE
    So basically you want a competition where you dont have to put any work in cos you dont have the time and the prize should be something that doesnt inconvenience you?

Nothing about this is exclusive. If you want to win it youve got to put in the effort, they arent pandering to anyone. They want the winners to be the best players. Its fine saying "what about us small stakes players." Well do you think you really deserve it just as much as someone whos worked hard enough to make it to the top levels and plays on the site a lot more?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Well said Dan!  Many congrats to you, Wayne, James and Redmond, all very well deserved places. I love the idea of this team sky poker thingy and with tikay and lml involved it will be mega fun! Good  luck all
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Well said Greg!  Many congrats to Dan, Wayne, James and Redmond, all very well deserved places. I love the idea of this team sky poker thingy and with tikay and lml involved it will be mega fun! Good luck all

• edited October 2010
    Ive been watching all the K88 v Lol' HU games lately, but was offline last night.

How id it end up Irish-Man? was there a clear winner??
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Well said Greg!  Many congrats to Dan, Wayne, James and Redmond, all very well deserved places. I love the idea of this team sky poker thingy and with tikay and lml involved it will be mega fun! Good luck all
    Posted by aussie09
    DITTO !!!!!!!!!!

• edited October 2010
    Congrats to Dan, Redmond, James, LisaM and Wayne, 5 really worthy picks and none of them has to justify their selections, as Tikay says earlier SP could have just gone out and brought a big name player in to promote the site and wear the Sky Poker logo, this way they have kept the community identity and I personally feel to get Redmond on board is a major coup as he must have had offers from others after WSOP.

I'm not convinced over the League, the best players don't get to the top because it is not an average of the games you play, lets face it, if Blackpool played 100 games and Chelsea et al played 20 Blackpool would win the Premier League, I see many "table toppers" sitting in small tournaments where there are 2 or 3 runners and 10 league points awarded for beating the mighty 2.  You also get 8 points for winning a small stakes DYM, and points for winning Russian Roulette games! The League points should IMO be an average of points gained vs games played, more points awarded for more runners and less points for luck SNG's.

I would much rather just see Sky Poker pick their team and I would support it all the way, I am sure lots of people will set goals to make team SP and I just hope they don't play outside their bankroll in desperation of doing so, this selection criteria should increase site traffic and will make for good TV when the qualifiers face off in the tournament so I see it from Sky's business point of view, so, in essence I really support this but still have reservations about manipulation of the League.

D
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : So basically you want a competition where you dont have to put any work in cos you dont have the time and the prize should be something that doesnt inconvenience you? Nothing about this is exclusive. If you want to win it youve got to put in the effort, they arent pandering to anyone. They want the winners to be the best players. Its fine saying "what about us small stakes players." Well do you think you really deserve it just as much as someone whos worked hard enough to make it to the top levels and plays on the site a lot more?
    Posted by offshoot
    What he said!!

I think you will find most of the high roller players started playing poker at the very lowest limits, James often says he started playing 5c/10c  cash games, and look where he is now. I don't know about the others but i'm sure it's a similar story.

I personally am (and always have been) on a low income, and with 3 children to look after I don'thave a lot of spare cash. So for me personally to have built up from a small deposit and alot of hours to be in a situation where I can push for a top 30 spot is a massive personal achievement.

Its rare you see a rich guy come staright in and start playing at the high levels without building their bankroll with many hours hard work (unless your name is joegibbo LOL!!) and if they do, they don't last long.

I never came onto the site expecting to be given everything on a silver platter, and as for "Sky are just pampering the high rollers" well thats just LOL, there are soooo many freerolls, competitions and give aways to help players get started its nice to see the big rake builders are getting rewarded.

The 4 picks are still a long way ahead of me and I really admire them all, but my aim is to keep putting in the hours, and I hope 1 day my name will be used in the same breath as some of those guys.

Best of luck to you all and hopefully soon I'll join you
  • edited October 2010
    Congratulations to those selected and good luck to everyone who attemps to win a place on Team Sky. I will be trying hard to earn a place through the STT league.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : What he said!! I think you will find most of the high roller players started playing poker at the very lowest limits, James often says he started playing 5c/10c  cash games, and look where he is now. I don't know about the others but i'm sure it's a similar story. I personally am (and always have been) on a low income, and with 3 children to look after I don'thave a lot of spare cash. So for me personally to have built up from a small deposit and alot of hours to be in a situation where I can push for a top 30 spot is a massive personal achievement. Its rare you see a rich guy come staright in and start playing at the high levels without building their bankroll with many hours hard work (unless your name is joegibbo LOL!!) and if they do, they don't last long. I never came onto the site expecting to be given everything on a silver platter, and as for "Sky are just pampering the high rollers" well thats just LOL, there are soooo many freerolls, competitions and give aways to help players get started its nice to see the big rake builders are getting rewarded. The 4 picks are still a long way ahead of me and I really admire them all, but my aim is to keep putting in the hours, and I hope 1 day my name will be used in the same breath as some of those guys. Best of luck to you all and hopefully soon I'll join you
    Posted by FlashFlush

+1

Sky Poker are trying to build and improve their status in the poker community.  To do this they have come up with a great concept and gone to 'their own' - meaning us, the players and not outside celebs.  They also want to build the numbers and give us all a chance of achivieving something...........cant see the 'big' sites doing promos like this for their players!

• edited October 2010
    i would like to wish all the players the best of luck in this.
    James i was not complaining about you being in this i just wanted to know why you was picked over, erm lets say sam1986, browndog, offshoot or ajs4385 and a few others.  As we both know these players over the past few months have been playing the site on a regular/daily basis.
    I thought sky would want to reward these players.
  • edited October 2010
    i would like to wish all the players the best of luck in this. James i was not complaining about you being in this i just wanted to know why you was picked over, erm lets say sam1986, browndog, offshoot or ajs4385 and a few others.  As we both know these players over the past few months have been playing the site on a regular/daily basis. I thought sky would want to reward these players.
    Posted by freechips1
    All future members of Team Sky Poker imo

perhaps by the "wild card (s)" that tikay mentioned before...
  • edited October 2010
    How have I missed this thread until now?

First and foremost, many congratulations to the founding five members.  They are all very worthy picks, great players (in terms of ability and class at the table) and I'm sure they will be a credit to Team Sky.

I welcome change like this.  As I have stated on a number of different topics, I play regularly on SkyPoker because it is different to every other cookie-cut sites out there.  I really like the fact that they are constantly trying new and innovative ideas.  I think the fact that most of these actually work really well is a credit to everyone from the techs to the suits.  I look forward to seeing how this latest venture pans out over the coming months and (hopefully) years.

Good luck to everyone hoping to qualify and once again, well done to the founding five.