You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......

Comments

• edited October 2010
    1, what will happen if the winner of this does not like/want to play live? can thy still have cash for points x2 for 3 months?
    2, This will be frowned upon by many, How did sky pick the 4 players that have been picked already? (redmond, james, dan and wayne). One of these players has rearly played on sky over the past few months.  I and im sure many others would like to know why these players where picked?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......:
    1, what will happen if the winner of this does not like/want to play live? can thy still have cash for points x2 for 3 months? 2, This will be frowned upon by many, How did sky pick the 4 players that have been picked already? (redmond, james, dan and wayne). One of these players has rearly played on sky over the past few months.  I and im sure many others would like to know why these players where picked?
    Posted by freechips1[/QUOTE

1 have thet actullay said what being on team sky does for you?

2 yes would be nice if they explained why those 4 not going to say any more but it dont seem right
  • edited October 2010

I would have expected Dan, Nutter and Sparce to be the first 3 on the list? (maybe the other 2 were approached and weren't interested?)

Surely they earnt the right to have a shot by finishing 1,2, and 3 in total player?

They would also represent all 3 disciplines of the league perfectly. (Nutter sng, Sparce cash, Dan everything.lol)

Then maybe lolufold as a wild card pick due to his effort out in Vegas......?

Are there any 'deets' of when these guys r gonna be playing then? 

GL to them all ! 

• edited October 2010
     so dohhhh 

this means total player that was going to be yearly has now been scrapped

so no offence ment to dan hes a top guy but hes getting a second chance after a fairly average  year

i agree with you the other may have said no

lolufold yes to have a famous player on the team helps

i agree with wayne (glitterbabe)  hes allways at spts top guy and a great cash player deserves his chance

but maybe they should have started with just the 2 presenters and put a wild card in each time

if they want these people

• edited October 2010
    1, what will happen if the winner of this does not like/want to play live? can thy still have cash for points x2 for 3 months? 2, This will be frowned upon by many, How did sky pick the  4  players that have been picked already? (redmond, james, dan and wayne). One of these players has rearly played on sky over the past few months.  I and im sure many others would like to know why these players where picked?
    Posted by freechips1
    This is a fair point. I`m interested to know why the 5 were picked for the team. As there are many good players on here that could easily have been added. Not a knock at those 5 picked already just interested to know why in particular these 5.
    For example do they have specific qualities/abilities etc?  If so, what are they that put them in the first 5? Thanks xx
  • edited October 2010
    Well, lolu is an absolute shoe-in after his vegas efforts, and dan as total player totally deserves it- no idea what the critera is but there's no real questioning the pedigree of gliter or james (though I haven't seen james play much, if I'm honest).

Ultimately though, team sky can pick who they like to put on their team.... I guess the simple fact is who the presenters and analysts feel, based on their viewing of the players, will succeed best at the events they're sending them to. I'd have quite liked to see offshoot and sparce get a place, personally... they really impress me when I watcht hem play.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... :
    1, what will happen if the winner of this does not like/want to play live? can thy still have cash for points x2 for 3 months? 2, This will be frowned upon by many, How did sky pick the 4 players that have been picked already? (redmond, james, dan and wayne). One of these players has rearly played on sky over the past few months.  I and im sure many others would like to know why these players where picked? Posted by freechips1[/QUOTE 1 have thet actullay said what being on team sky does for you? 2 yes would be nice if they explained why those 4 not going to say any more but it dont seem right
    Posted by sara36dd08
    being on team sky gets you dble cash for points, you get paid half your points as normal and the other half is put aside.  Sky will buy you into live mtt events with a max value of £1000.  The cash for points that is put aside will pay part of or in full of this £1000 mtt entry. 
    If your cash for points put aside is £3000 then you will/might be put in a few mtt.
  • edited October 2010
    Here's an idea for you all.... rather than moan/b!tch about who has been picked we say well done and good luck to them.

Ask constructive questions about what you are not sure of by all means but some of those comments just seem out of order and not fair on the players picked
  • edited October 2010

Obv all Tikay's 'favourites' have been chosen but there wasn't quite enough room for Browndog & Doh....lol lol lol < I bet I will get slated for that one!!

On a more serious note, best of luck to all of you on the Sky poker Team and future team members. I genuinely wish you all the best.
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Here's an idea for you all.... rather than moan/b!tch about who has been picked we say well done and good luck to them. Ask constructive questions about what you are not sure of by all means but some of those comments just seem out of order and not fair on the players picked
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Tbf I haven't seen anyone criticise any of the players who were picked. Just that it would be nice, in the interests of fairness, to find out how these players were picked over many other equally good players such as sparce, coxylboro, offshoot etc.
  • edited October 2010
    Obv all Tikay's 'favourites' have been chosen but there wasn't quite enough room for Browndog & Doh....lol lol lol < I bet I will get slated for that one!! On a more serious note, best of luck to all of you on the Sky poker Team and future team members. I genuinely wish you all the best.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Genuine lol @ this and a "sigh lol" at the old "stop moaning, start bum licking" line - was only a matter of time till someone pulled that 1 out.

Its rigged Alan!

How can they overlook a player of my calibre, with all my live experience and enthusiasm!! lol

Not sure about brownndog tho ;-)

I'll settle for free entry into the Thursday night BOUNTY HUNTER once every 3 months !!!! that ok TK? :)

• edited October 2010
    total player was better imo.

i have to play a stupid amount to get in the top 30 its more volume than skill. Even if I do grind for 3 months I could just get huge cooler and be out of the tournament anyway.

I understand the need to tie it in with points but shouldn't it be mixed in with profit relative to your level (maybe nl30 up) Or even a series of tournaments over a month?
  • edited October 2010
    Here's an idea for you all.... rather than moan/b!tch about who has been picked we say well done and good luck to them. Ask constructive questions about what you are not sure of by all means but some of those comments just seem out of order and not fair on the players picked
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Why has a player who rearly plays on the site been picked? (given upto £1000 mtt entry and dble cash for points for 3 months)
  • edited October 2010
    Posted by FlashFlush
    i think your wrong here flash ,
    peeps on here are entitled to fair comment on who
    they think should be considered for team .

i personally think browndog has played a lot of high stakes poker &
    is a very very good loyal skypoker player .

he would defo have been my 1st choice .

but well done to all who were picked & great idea by skypoker to create a team.

on a side note i think skypoker are silly not to sponsor lolufold ,
    before some other poker site beats them to it .

• edited October 2010
     so dohhhh  this means total player that was going to be yearly has now been scrapped so no offence ment to dan hes a top guy but hes getting a second chance after a fairly average  year i agree with you the other may have said no lolufold yes to have a famous player on the team helps i agree with wayne (glitterbabe)  hes allways at spts top guy and a great cash player deserves his chance but maybe they should have started with just the 2 presenters and put a wild card in each time if they want these people
    Posted by sara36dd08

Thanks for the top guy bit, but could you define a 'FAIRLY AVERAGE YEAR' please, and also how you know how my year has gone?

I would take a guess that you have no idea what this year has been like for me poker wise?

It has without doubt been the best year in my poker career, for live tournament cashes/wins, online tournament wins, and for serious grinding of the cash tables online.

It has been a sick year for me to be honest and all the hard work i have put in is being rewarded.

Getting a second chance??? at what? I never blew my first chance did i?

Anyway, i am really looking forward to this idea. I know people will be against it because thats just the nature of poker and poker forums, each to their own and thats fine with me.

But please dont make statements like the one above, when you could not possibly justify the comment. It couldnt be farther from the truth.

GL to all who participate, and GL all at the tables!

• edited October 2010
    Couple of typos on the Team Sky Poker page.  In the blurb about James and Redmond, the figures look odd.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Thanks for the top guy bit, but could you define a 'FAIRLY AVERAGE YEAR' please, and also how you know how my year has gone? I would take a guess that you have no idea what this year has been like for me poker wise?   It has without doubt been the best year in my poker career, for live tournament cashes/wins, online tournament wins, and for serious grinding of the cash tables online. It has been a sick year for me to be honest and all the hard work i have put in is being rewarded.this idea. I know people will be against it because thats just the nature of poker and poker forums, each to their own and thats fine with me. But please dont make statements like the one above, when you could not possibly justify the comment. It couldnt be farther from the truth. GL to all who participate, and GL all at the tables! Getting a second chance??? at what? I never blew my first chance did i? Anyway, i am really looking forward to
    Posted by dantb10
    Well said Dan! 

Many congrats to you, Wayne, James and Redmond, all very well deserved places.

I love the idea of this team sky poker thingy and with tikay and lml involved it will be mega fun!

Good  luck all

• edited October 2010

dan didnt mean any offence at all

ive talked to you at every spt ive been to yes you deserve every chance you get

very true i dont know how your year has been 

i wish you and all the others the best off luck in everything you venture into

i just bealive in giving everyone a chance 

i have nothing against you our anyone ealse who was picked you are some off the best players on the site and in poker in england as general

think in a way im jealous and would love the chance to be you 

• edited October 2010
    Yeah apparentyl ljamel had won 0,000 :D
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah well said Dan

Anyone who has played or watched him play can testify how good he really is!!
    Everytime you look at the cash tables from 100nl - 300nl you will see how he plays and builds his stack quickly and mantains it whilst boosting his BR on a regular basis. In mtt's, when the DS was on the Sunday Evenings at £55 a pop - Dan was probably the biggest winner in terms of ROI in that event so that shows his class in that format as well where it had fierce competition with the quality of runners in it. Dan states that this is his most succesfull year - you only need to look at his stats to confirm this - they go through the roof and not only on this site but others as well where he has binked some impressive results this year!!

He was the winner of TP and now we are picking the best of Sky to begin Team Sky so this has been an incredible year for him and long may it continue so for that I wish Dan and the rest of them the very best of luck and look forward to supporting them in their exciting journey!!
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Thanks for the top guy bit, but could you define a 'FAIRLY AVERAGE YEAR' please, and also how you know how my year has gone? I would take a guess that you have no idea what this year has been like for me poker wise?   It has without doubt been the best year in my poker career, for live tournament cashes/wins, online tournament wins, and for serious grinding of the cash tables online. It has been a sick year for me to be honest and all the hard work i have put in is being rewarded. Getting a second chance??? at what? I never blew my first chance did i? Anyway, i am really looking forward to this idea. I know people will be against it because thats just the nature of poker and poker forums, each to their own and thats fine with me. But please dont make statements like the one above, when you could not possibly justify the comment. It couldnt be farther from the truth. GL to all who participate, and GL all at the tables!
    Posted by dantb10
    Hi Dan and congratulations on being chosen as one of the members of the Sky team. I hope you do well.

With regards what I have highlighted, what do you know that people will be against? I ask this as I have not seen as of yet anyone post that they are against the idea. Thanks xx
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Hi Dan and congratulations on being chosen as one of the members of the Sky team. I hope you do well. With regards what I have highlighted, what do you know that people will be against? I ask this as I have not seen as of yet anyone post that they are against the idea. Thanks xx
    Posted by candi
    Hi candy, ty for the well wishes.

When i say 'people will be against it' i am not implying that people who have already posted on the subject are against the idea. I merely envisage that the concept will not be liked by all, because it is in our nature to form opinions on subjects. Which i am all for.  

Its generally what happens when sites bring in new concepts. Some people dont like change, others do. Its all personal preference. 

There are no reasons from a personal point of view why i would be against it, but i obviously cant speak for others who will have their own views.

Hope this explains what i meant.
  • edited October 2010
    I would just like to make it clear that i am not having a go at any of the 4 lads that have been picked, they are all great players and all own me, lol.

I dont see it as being fair that a vey good player who untill the past week has rearly played on the site, he is now getting a £1000 mtt entry payed for him.  Surley it would be far beter and more fair to have given this place to a player who plays sky on a regular basis. 
  • edited October 2010
    I would just like to make it clear that i am not having a go at any of the 4 lads that have been picked, they are all great players and all own me, lol. I dont see it as being fair that a vey good player who untill the past week has rearly played on the site, he is now getting a £1000 mtt entry payed for him.  Surley it would be far beter and more fair to have given this place to a player who plays sky on a regular basis. 
    Posted by freechips1
    i thought all 4 were regulars

• edited October 2010
    I would just like to make it clear that i am not having a go at any of the 4 lads that have been picked, they are all great players and all own me, lol. I dont see it as being fair that a vey good player who untill the past week has rearly played on the site, he is now getting a £1000 mtt entry payed for him.  Surley it would be far beter and more fair to have given this place to a player who plays sky on a regular basis. 
    Posted by freechips1
    I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING M8,

BUT JUST ONE POINT ,

THE PLAYER YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HAS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS 

CONTRIBUTED A LOT OF LOT OF

RAKE TO SKYPOKER .

BUT SAYING THIS I KNOW YOU ALSO HAVE .

ITS VERY DIFFICULT FOR SKYPOKER TO PICK A FEW PLAYERS OUT OF 

A POOL OF OVER 100 GOOD PLAYERS .

• edited October 2010

Good evening.

I'll try & deal with the questions, please bear with me while I sift through the thread.
  • edited October 2010

I'll start with an easy one.

"....this means total player that was going to be yearly has now been scrapped...."

"....total player was better imo....."

Total Player is studio & Production intensive, & with the Channel 865 Studio move currently in the late stages of extremely complex technical planning, it was felt wise to defer any decision on if & when Total Player will return. It needs a multi-month run, & they cannot comtemplate it during the studio move period, & until the new Studio has been bedded in. 

For what it's worth, I would think it almost certainly will return, but that's not the official line, it's just my view. 

I spoke with Rich Milner earlier this evening, (he is responsible for allocating the funding) who was, like most of us, a bit taken aback at the tone of this Thread, & he used the Total Player comments as an example. He reiterated what I already knew - no decision has been taken to abandon Total Player.

In the Press Release I wrote this afternoon, & sent up to Jack & Richard @ Head Office for approval, & which will be in the print media & all over the internet shortly, I said.....

SkyPoker.com continue to build their poker community, and the latest offering is “Team Sky Poker”, which will be entirely composed of Sky Poker regulars.   The existing features of Sky Poker will all remain – the Forum, Community, Freerolls, PremierShip Freerolls, Sky Poker Tour, Play The Presenter, Total Player, the TV Channel, and now, Team Sky Poker has arrived.

Total Player has NOT been scrapped. Can someone tell me where anyone ever said it was, please?
  • edited October 2010
    as a small  time poker player i feel this new setup will only benefit online pros and players with money to waste. even if u get into this 30 player torni and win i for won cant go up and down  the country playing in big tornis as much as i would love to but work and family commitments come first. sky poker seems to becoming a site pampered to thier high rollers which is fine but remember your small players as well we contribute to your site as well. one question has the top 10 players in the league lost the chance to win league money hope not.
  • edited October 2010

"....so no offence ment to dan hes a top guy but hes getting a second chance after a fairly average  year....."

I will, shortly, outline the criteria by which the founding five were selected, & how the initial three month period is being used to set the standard for everyone who aspires to be part of Tam Sky Poker. 

For now, I would say this.

Dan has been a quite magnificent Ambassador for Sky Poker. He conducts himself with dignity, makes himself available for various promotional stuff, does not have an enemy in the game, is a quite superb player, & in the view of Sky Poker, he's had an excellent year.

He has often gone beyond the call of duty, & that's a 2 way street, as Sky Poker have delivered what they were committed to deliver to him, & then some more on  top.  

I would have been extremely disappointed if Dan had not been a founder Member of Team Sky Poker, & to be honest, I think many others would echo that. It was the players, after all, who voted for Dan as Total Player.

Dan will have the full support of myself, & everyone at Sky Poker.

I have no idea how long he will remain in Team Sky Poker - to a degree, that's up to him. Personally, I hope it's for a goodly while.
  • edited October 2010
    Right then first of all i cannot argue with the picks that have been made,all quality imo even tikay haha,only problem i have is with the top 30 process so many players are going to miss out on this chance and so are sky.because you play at a higher  level therefore gain more league points does not make you a better player imo.however clearly a good marketing idea and good luck to all involved.