You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......

Comments

• edited October 2010
    i hope for team sky's sake that the top30 tournament has a very good structure
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE......:
    i hope for team sky's sake that the top30 tournament has a very good structure
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    i heard it was a roulette, 1 chip and a chair

just to give the cash players a chance:)

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : This started well AJ, i liked the 1st bit(weareontv quite funny) then it got redic... i think most of your comments are to be fair out or order... i agree you are in the top 5 players in the site you do crush 1/2 but saying things about James being Tikays mate and lolufold just playing 5 10 and a bit of 1/2 is quite wrong... this is nothing personal about you as we have chatted a fair bit as we play quite a lot of the same tables, but in this case you have the right to your opinion but i think you have got this one very wrong and your facts are quite p is s e d up......... Gibb
    Posted by the_gibb
    James and tikay are friends, thats what james told me. James assures me that it has nothing to do with tikay this team but in my original post I put what it looked liked to me as another reg raised his concerns about the situation. If I am wrong I am quite happy to admit it and apologise to all involved.

lolufold is sat at 5/10 hu and is playing the 1/2 tables as I type, I dont get what I put wrong there, he plays higher on other sites. He is a great player, I put originally about anyone can do well in one torny as there is loads of luck involved. I rate redmond because he plays great day in day out, not because he did well in this years wsop.
  • edited October 2010
    Question 

Pretty sure the answer is a yes but I'd like clarification :)

Can one player for example....

Nutter5932 get into more than one of the 30 player MTT's at then end of the three months.

Cash and SNG to be precise ... maybe even the MTT to !

Thanks,

• edited October 2010
    NUTTER5932 FTW

YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS AND BEEF AND RED WINE GRAVY TOO PLEASE...

PLUS BEING TIKAYS FRIEND...I CAN'T BEG BORROW OR STEAL MY WAY  INTO THIS LITTLE BAD BOY...TRIP5@GUTTED.COM

MAY THE MOST EXCELLENT OF ALL FANTBULOUS POKER GODS SHINE UPON TEAM SKY...YOU REPRESENT ALL OF US SO BRING THIS BAD BOY HOME...BTW TRY TO HAVE FUN DOING IT EH TEAM

XX
  • edited October 2010
    Hmm, I got nudged to this post, and am unsure whether i enjoyed reading it all or whether I wasted an hour of my life.  I found a lot of it very funny :)

First off: Cash players are the best players - Full stop ;)

Second - What a terrible idea this is for increasing the community.  Like sending 4 good players is going to make players come to the site when they get 0wned.  I think Sky should reward the 4 biggest losers on the site and send them to cash games with a few buy ins.  When they lose money people will be like "i should go and play on that site".

They further should invest in getting bored rich billionaires/millionaires etc to the site.  I am lacking ideas myself how to do this, but sure someone will have an idea!

What i lol'ed most at was the drinking part.  You should all feel disgraced!  Poker isnt something which should be enjoyed - you should not be allowed to have good fun with your friends. It should only be for professionals who take it very seriously.  If you want to be loud and sing songs, go to a football match and sit next to away fans (probably not at millwall).

I am now having a sarcasm overload, so i would like to finish by saying best of luck to the guys who made the cut.  Dont think sky could have picked a better bunch. 

Dan is a great ambassador of the game - is a family man, has a job, and plays poker successfully and is able to have a laugh too - for me a role model which people can aspire to. 
     James: rofl'ed at LML's line of poster boy - great player who we will see a lot of in the future I am sure. 
     Glitter: Great player, Great guy, Great Captain + he has a scary stare when your at his table. 
     Red- Furniture of sky poker.  Most successful player here who has a high level grasp of all aspects of the game.

In conclusion. Good choices, and this is a good idea which could be the start of many beautiful things.

Good luck to everyone who tries to break in, there r a lot of good players here to be considered (obviously talking about cash players re. first comment)

XXXXXXXXXX

ps. out of pure interest, what does this all work as as equivalent in % rakeback?

• edited October 2010
    PPS. as for role models : its not like they had lurid encounters with prozzies.
  • edited October 2010
    Hmm, I got nudged to this post, and am unsure whether i enjoyed reading it all or whether I wasted an hour of my life.  I found a lot of it very funny :) First off: Cash players are the best players - Full stop ;) Second - What a terrible idea this is for increasing the community.  Like sending 4 good players is going to make players come to the site when they get 0wned.  I think Sky should reward the 4 biggest losers on the site and send them to cash games with a few buy ins.  When they lose money people will be like "i should go and play on that site". They further should invest in getting bored rich billionaires/millionaires etc to the site.  I am lacking ideas myself how to do this, but sure someone will have an idea! What i lol'ed most at was the drinking part.  You should all feel disgraced!  Poker isnt something which should be enjoyed - you should not be allowed to have good fun with your friends. It should only be for professionals who take it very seriously.  If you want to be loud and sing songs, go to a football match and sit next to away fans (probably not at millwall). I am now having a sarcasm overload, so i would like to finish by saying best of luck to the guys who made the cut.  Dont think sky could have picked a better bunch.   Dan is a great ambassador of the game - is a family man, has a job, and plays poker successfully and is able to have a laugh too - for me a role model which people can aspire to.   James: rofl'ed at LML's line of poster boy - great player who we will see a lot of in the future I am sure.   Glitter: Great player, Great guy, Great Captain + he has a scary stare when your at his table.   Red- Furniture of sky poker.  Most successful player here who has a high level grasp of all aspects of the game. In conclusion. Good choices, and this is a good idea which could be the start of many beautiful things. Good luck to everyone who tries to break in, there r a lot of good players here to be considered (obviously talking about cash players re. first comment) XXXXXXXXXX ps. out of pure interest, what does this all work as as equivalent in % rakeback?
    Posted by Sparce

OR LEEDS OBV.

PROBABLY NOY WIMBELDON EITHER...OH WAIT...

• edited October 2010
    This is a great idea and all picks are 100% deserving. 

Just like anything there are always improvements that can be made. I honestly believe having just one tournament at the end of a three-month grind is terrible. I know that the standard of the players will be high anyway but the best player could be out in level one running Kings into Aces. 

Surely there is a better way to decide on sponsoring a player instead of a one-off donkament,
  • edited October 2010
    I have just read through all of this, blimey alot of jealousy although good points raised which have been answered

all the picks(other then LML ;o) ) are very deserved and i would just like to wish them luck in their exciting journey and hope they all luckbox there way through tourneys and bring 1000s here as sky is the best site and we just need to show people this. top 30 etc never going to happen as i dont put volume or got the role but maybe one day i will be there. I admit well jealous of TSP but 100% agree they all deserve it unlucky for few who missed out but at least you have a chance if your commited enough to get in it even if for 3 months only

regards
    John

• edited October 2010
    The people at sky seem to of missed Orford from the team sky list! :)

• edited October 2010
    This is a great idea and all picks are 100% deserving.  Just like anything there are always improvements that can be made. I honestly believe having just one tournament at the end of a three-month grind is terrible. I know that the standard of the players will be high anyway but the best player could be out in level one running Kings into Aces.  Surely there is a better way to decide on sponsoring a player instead of a one-off donkament,
    Posted by pryce6
    I agree with this..

The trouble is you can't really have a community vote, because some of the unknown players will never get picked. Possibly a league could be done from the top 90 with a number of tournaments and who ever is in the top 3 gets on the team.
  • edited October 2010

I just want to clear a few things up from my previous post.

As stated I originally posted because other players had contacted me regarding the poker team and had concerns. As I play the biggest (6 max) games on here and play against the players involved in the team, I know a bit about the best players on the site. I aimed to think of a reason why each player was picked, for three of the players I could think of a good reason. However, for lJamesl I could not as he plays mainly on other sites, dan and lol do this but they have been quite high profile recently (TP and 21st in wsop) and I felt there where more deserving players of the place (Browndog, Offshoot).

The conclusion I came to is WRONG. The reason I came to this conclusion is because lJamesl has told me a few times how he is friends with Tikay. However, in reality he has only met him 12 times whilst playing poker. Therefore Tikay is not good friends with James as I was led to believe. I would class their relationship more as a poker acquaintance. Also I was WRONG in my thinking how much involvment Tikay had in the selection of the team. He had NO involvement in the selection process. I want to retract what I posted about Tikay as again I was WRONG. I put 2 and 2 together and got 5. Tikay does mention lJamesl but he also metions other players a lot. The reason he mentions James is he is a great player.

May be it would be benefical for everyone for the decision makers of team sky to say why they picked lJamesl to clarify the situation. They dont have to, they can pick whoever they want, although I do think it would help the situation. I personally believe Offshoot and Browndog deserve a place in this team as they play a lot more poker at the highest stakes on Sky than 3 out of the four players who have been chosen.

Just want to apologise again to Tikay as I was WRONG, I was under the impression that he and lJamesl are good friends but this is not the case. As stated Tikay is a great asset to Sky and I enjoy watching him on the television. He does a lot for poker helping out players, being chairman of APAT, posting in numerous forums. Keep up the good work Tikay.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : I agree with this.. The trouble is you can't really have a community vote, because some of the unknown players will never get picked. Possibly a league could be done from the top 90 with a number of tournaments and who ever is in the top 3 gets on the team.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Yeah I thought a number of tournaments for the 90 with points (and perhaps small cashes to stop people losing interest towards the end if they are out of touch). Then top 3 go into TSP.
  • edited October 2010

Thanks Aiden.

I would clarify.

1) I am "poker friends" with James. I like him, quite a lot. I want him to do well, & get sponsorship. But exactly the same applies to any number of other Sky Poker players. I have probably bumped into James in Poker Venues between 10 & 20 times in my entire life. On every occasion, it was at a Poker Tourney. I have never met him outside of poker. He is a valued Member "next door", under a different alias.

2) I would never, as originally suggested, "show favour" to ANY player, ever, anywhere, because I was, or was not, friends with them. It's called honesty, integrity, & being fair, & it happens to mean a great deal to me. The suggestion that "tikay selected James because they are friends"is an outrageous one. I'm grateful to Aiden for correcting his original statement to that effect.

3) I repeat, for the xteenth time, I did NOT select the Team. Some 4 to 6 months ago, I was asked to draw up a TSP "shortlist". I put together about 12 names, all of everyone would fully expect to see on the List. I expect it included James, but in truth, I cannot exactly remember who I included. I sent it to the Head of Poker, Des Duffy. I had no other input to the Team Selection, though I was consulted about a month ago (the first I'd subsequently heard about SPT since I sent my shortlist back in the Spring) about the Pros & Cons of selecting LML. Other than the discussions about LML's inclusion or otherwise, I have had no other involvement in the Team Selection except that shortlist I assembled 6 months or so ago. I would imagine the "final" list of 5 were selected by a panel of Des Duffy, Rich Milner, & Adam Harmer, using the list of 12 I sent them, plus their own picks & ideas.

4) I am 100% in agreement with the decisions of Management (which does not include me) to include James - I think he's an excellent choice. I could, however, make a similar case for 6 or 7 other players. I do mention James a fair bit. And Dyl, Lewis, Chirpy, Sparcey, Alan, Dollie, Plopper, Offshoot, da de da. It's my default setting to like people, it just is. And to be straight & above board in all dealings. I'm astonished that anyone would suggest otherwise. I guess we cannot see ourselves as others see us.

5) I mentioned - a personal muse, if you like - the possibility of a "Wild Card" in future drafts. Given the negative reaction of many to the Founding Five picks, a Wild Card would clearly cause much bad blood, so I now abandon that view. So there goes the chance of a bit of fun for a regular.

6) Which just leaves the very odd question of why someone asked Aiden to Post on their behalf, & why. Which is, in fact, quite telling. However, please don't speculate who it is, & why, on the Forum, as it will serve no good purpose. 

7) Total Player is something in which the Community decide who is selected. Team Sky Poker self-selects from January 1st, no opinion, it just self-selects via qualification. The Founding Five were picked by Sky Poker, & it's entirely within their gift to award it to anyone whom they see fit.

8) I have, earlier in the Thread, listed the criteria which I believe Sky Poker used to select the Founding Five. I believe all 5 fit the bill, as the criteria are a basket of different things. The criteria did NOT include a proviso that the players had played exclusively on Sky Poker.

I'm grateful to Aiden for chatting with me on the 'phone this morning, & for his retraction.

A big up to Aiden for recognizing the need to correct his original Post. I hope he'll be at Blackpool for the SPT, & if he is, I'll buy him a drink.

I want to get back to TSP being fun, & I have some stuff I want to do which will involve everyone, & I'd intended to get the ball rolling today, but I'll leave it for a day or so now.

Lets move on now please.

• edited October 2010
    blimey, what a thread.
    well done and very good luck to those picked.
    no chance of me getting any where near the team this decade, but I'm hopeful for the next (century)!!! LOL!
    Hopefully at least some of the torunaments they are included in will be televised?

They are just the "first 5" people. Yes there are some more players who have a good enough record/play to be included but SP decided on 5. There is no guarantee that the 5 will stay on the Team. My understanding is that they have to perform to stay in. The other players mentioned as good enough to be in (like those picked) will have their chance. being as good as they are, they will be in the mix to be picked.

I'm sure those not in the Team currently will be determined to be in it and those in it determined to stay in. Should make the future months interesting in terms of play.

Well done SP for staying in house.
    Again, GOOD LUCK to those picked and good luck to those trying to get in the Team.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi All,

I really liked Tonys idea of a wild card pick and my only thing i would like if it were to happen, would be that it should include someone who does not have the bankroll to get included through the qualification process.
    As Tony has said that if this were to happen, whoever was chosen would not be the correct person.
    I for one would love to be part of the team but i don't have the bankroll to carry me to enough points(and im rubbish), although i've won live tournies in the past.
    I say this as i see this could lead to the situation becoming like theTP process where a lot of players were effectively excluded(and there are some good solid players in that group, who would represent Sky Poker in the correct manner.

col
  • edited October 2010
    blimey, what a thread. well done and very good luck to those picked. no chance of me getting any where near the team this decade, but I'm hopeful for the next (century)!!! LOL! Hopefully at least some of the torunaments they are included in will be televised? They are just the "first 5" people. Yes there are some more players who have a good enough record/play to be included but SP decided on 5. There is no guarantee that the 5 will stay on the Team. My understanding is that they have to perform to stay in. The other players mentioned as good enough to be in (like those picked) will have their chance. being as good as they are, they will be in the mix to be picked. I'm sure those not in the Team currently will be determined to be in it and those in it determined to stay in. Should make the future months interesting in terms of play. Well done SP for staying in house. Again, GOOD LUCK to those picked and good luck to those trying to get in the Team.
    Posted by walesboy
    Nice point, walesy. 
  • edited October 2010
    Hi All, I really liked Tonys idea of a wild card pick and my only thing i would like if it were to happen, would be that it should include someone who does not have the bankroll to get included through the qualification process. As Tony has said that if this were to happen, whoever was chosen would not be the correct person. I for one would love to be part of the team but i don't have the bankroll to carry me to enough points(and im rubbish), although i've won live tournies in the past. I say this as i see this could lead to the situation becoming like theTP process where a lot of players were effectively excluded(and there are some good solid players in that group, who would represent Sky Poker in the correct manner. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    its almost certainly possible to qualify for the top 30 in the STT league through £1/£2 sit n go's, and through the MTT league in £2 BH's etc
  • edited October 2010
    if i ever manage to donk my way through the 30 man donkament this place will go in2 uproar!!!!
  • edited October 2010
    Hi All, I really liked Tonys idea of a wild card pick and my only thing i would like if it were to happen, would be that it should include someone who does not have the bankroll to get included through the qualification process. As Tony has said that if this were to happen, whoever was chosen would not be the correct person. I for one would love to be part of the team but i don't have the bankroll to carry me to enough points(and im rubbish), although i've won live tournies in the past. I say this as i see this could lead to the situation becoming like theTP process where a lot of players were effectively excluded(and there are some good solid players in that group, who would represent Sky Poker in the correct manner. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Agreed Col, it was just an idea I had, & I thought I'd float it, but it won't happen now, no way.

Meanwhile, we are making plans this afternoon for the first Team Sky Poker Live Events.

I'm still excited about it, despite all the hoohah & nonsense, & I think most are, to be honest.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Agreed Col, it was just an idea I had, & I thought I'd float it, but it won't happen now, no way. Meanwhile, we are making plans this afternoon for the first Team Sky Poker Live Events. I'm still excited about it, despite all the hoohah & nonsense, & I think most are, to be honest.
    Posted by Tikay10

Where will these be? I might come along to some and play...
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Where will these be? I might come along to some and play...
    Posted by BrownnDog

Well I have heard a rumour that the 1st 'meet' is at the G casino, Blackpool on the week end of 29/30th October 2010. Just a rumour though.....just a rumour.......    :)))
  • edited October 2010
    lol you know what I mean
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: THE NEW POKER LEAGUE...... : Where will these be? I might come along to some and play...
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Hi Lewis,

If you & maybe a few others did that, it would be simply awesome!

We are finalising the initial Schedule this afternoon, or trying to, & hopefully we will know by the morning, then we can get on with planning, & organising, the Team Sky Poker peripherals.

I think the "first phase" Dates & venues are pretty much agreed, but it's best to just double-check everything. You know, measure twice, cut once, that sort of thing. 
  • edited October 2010
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Same as Lewis. Had some success since coming back from my very Unsuccessful few weeks at DTD and iv got all that back and then some, so location/buyin dependant I may join you all :-)

p.s No Sit N Go's after though!!
  • edited October 2010
    And well done to AJ for coming back and apologising for the original post. Takes a big man to come back and write such a lengthy apology.
  • edited October 2010
    I'll be thier !

Dan said something about holding his hand :v
  • edited October 2010

Now things have calmed down abit, I wanna pick up on something Freechips asked earlier, that got lost in the madness of the thread......

Is there any alternative prize/motivation for people to win this league, if they dont want to/cant/ haven't got the time to play live?

Maybe, sell the prize to someone else?

For example, if being a member of team sky means I would get £1k of live poker tourny entries, I could sell this prize, with priority to buy it going to whoever finished 2nd/3rd etc in the tourny I won.... (obviously for a knock down price.....maybe 70% or something?)

So they pay me £700, and for their money get £1k in tourny entries, and the prestige of being a team sky member?

Obviously a massive part of this is promoting SKY poker, so just getting the 1k directly off sky aint an option, as it defeats the whole point of them being represented at live events....(something that will be solved with my suggestion above)

Is there any room for negotiation?

Probably irrelevant for me atm, as Im never gonna be in the top 30 cash players with the time I put in/limits I play at now, but obviously within the next year I aim to move up the stakes, and will be pushing the top 50/40/30 before long, and I assume this TSP is gonna be a long term thing.

Thanx, JJ.

• edited October 2010
    Well done AJS - big man to step up like you did and not be a keyboard warrior. Much respect.

I'd love to come to the TSP live events - just make sure I know in advance so my Mrs doesn't double book our daughter's party on the same day again!!!!!!! (Blackpool, sighhhh)

Let's hope we can move forward and get the whole community behind the guys and gal involved.

PS - nice pic James on the home page ;)