You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS????

Comments

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS????:
    Well to be fair nobody has any right to criticize or question his record... because it speaks for itself. Surely any criticism should have been said in private and not displayed on an open public forum. I can't see how it tilted you that much you had to shut off your computer.... that is ridiculous. Why don't people understand Sky Poker is a business first and a community second. It is a facility they are not required to provide, yet do so to gain support and popularity amongst its users. It appears that many now are suffering from dented ego's, due to their lack of consideration to be put forward for team selection. 
    Posted by ChirpyChip
    I don't think he actually criticises him though does he? That's the whole point! :-)
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : - 1 000 000
    Posted by ChirpyChip
    Ok Chirpy, you obviously dont agree with my comments, but if as many people say poker is a sport, how many people at the top of any sport brag about there achievements. An example of this is Rodger Federer. He dooesn't look to ram his achievements down peoples throats, why because he has more dignity and doesnt need to brag, about his results or friends.
    The same should be appllied to James or any big named player on this site. His remarks do show a lack of respect for the majority of Sky players.
    It is, in my opinion, one of the paramount requirements of any of the TSP. We should have a team who will win and lose with humilty and grace, if not then are we putting the correct public face of Sky Poker to the masses.
    I firmly believe that if your good enough your actions and deeds should speak for themselves and you should not rise to any bait, just be above it.

James, I am truly sorry your name is/has been used in this way as your results DO speak for themselves, but maybe if you and a few of the "better" players engaged in the forum on a more regular basis, ie giving advice etc, then we may get to know you all a bit better.

col
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : Ok Chirpy, you obviously dont agree with my comments, but if as many people say poker is a sport, how many people at the top of any sport brag about there achievements. An example of this is Rodger Federer. He dooesn't look to ram his achievements down peoples throats, why because he has more dignity and doesnt need to brag, about his results or friends. The same should be appllied to James or any big named player on this site. His remarks do show a lack of respect for the majority of Sky players. It is, in my opinion, one of the paramount requirements of any of the TSP. We should have a team who will win and lose with humilty and grace, if not then are we putting the correct public face of Sky Poker to the masses. I firmly believe that if your good enough your actions and deeds should speak for themselves and you should not rise to any bait, just be above it. James, I am truly sorry your name is/has been used in this way as your results DO speak for themselves, but maybe if you and a few of the "better" players engaged in the forum on a more regular basis, ie giving advice etc, then we may get to know you all a bit better. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    A more eloquent version of what I was trying to say.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? :  maybe if you and a few of the "better" players engaged in the forum on a more regular basis, ie giving advice etc, then we may get to know you all a bit better. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    this forum is for when you bust ur account tho
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : this forum is for when you bust ur account tho
    Posted by hotpotato
    Sorry i dont get what you mean
  • edited October 2010
    He got a bit cross, because he felt he was being picked on--simples-- so now he is accused of disrespect, bragging about his achievements and friends, being ungracious and big headed--- and to top that, you now want him to come on the forum more often to give us all some advice??---hmmm--- something amiss there me thinks?
  • edited October 2010
    I don't see where he has disrespected anybody. He is quite simply standing up for himself as he is becoming subdued by personal attacks.

I haven't personally seen the part where James "looks to ram his achievements down people's throats." What he is doing is saying if you want to criticize my game, I will show you exactly why I deserve to be selected for this team, which he does not have to prove anyways.

I have no doubt that James, or any other member of the Sky Team will act with nothing but complete grace and humility regardless of their achievement's playing on the team.

I don't seek to argue with you, you are free to your opinion's obviously.... but I completely disagree that James has shown a lack of respect to any Sky Players, let alone the majority of Sky Players... that is an outrageous accusation

• edited October 2010
    Personally I likes James' shirts, despite what anyone else says.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : There is a post earlier in this thread from tikay (10.32am) where he says that Sky are looking at the tournament schedule so I am guessing that will include some new games as well.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    I hope so.

I think by doing TSP Sky are obviously looking to attract more players to the site and increase traffic and quality. It would be a huge shame if new players coming to the site take one look at the tournament schedule and just...leave.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? :  An example of this is Rodger Federer. He dooesn't look to ram his achievements down peoples throats, why because he has more dignity and doesnt need to brag, about his results or friends.
    Posted by mr_mbro
    meh nitpicking here but the little gold cup with a '5' on it inscribed on the back of his gold shoes is clearly showing off, he does seem a pretty nice guy though.
  • edited October 2010
    Last time I was chatting to Federer, all he could talk about was that he was better than me at tennis, blooming braggart.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't see where he has disrespected anybody. He is quite simply standing up for himself as he is becoming subdued by personal attacks. I haven't personally seen the part where James "looks to ram his achievements down people's throats." What he is doing is saying if you want to criticize my game, I will show you exactly why I deserve to be selected for this team, which he does not have to prove anyways. I have no doubt that James, or any other member of the Sky Team will act with nothing but complete grace and humility regardless of their achievement's playing on the team. I don't seek to argue with you, you are free to your opinion's obviously.... but I completely disagree that James has shown a lack of respect to any Sky Players, let alone the majority of Sky Players... that is an outrageous accusation
    Posted by ChirpyChip

I gather from this, that that episode on the bellagio 100/200 table on Saturday morning was a wind up??
  • edited October 2010
    i am almost 100% sure when i say s tsp members all play a lot of mtt's
    only not on this site..........why play in a £20 fast structured tourny when they are winning/losing £200 per hand.
    all they need is a bigger buy-in better value tourny....
  • edited October 2010
    i am almost 100% sure when i say s tsp members all play a lot of mtt's only not on this site..........why play in a £20 fast structured tourny when they are winning/losing £200 per hand. all they need is a bigger buy-in better value tourny....
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    i agree.the thing is tho sky wont put a £500/1000 bi tourney with a £20,000 gtd cuz they wont get the runners,there is not enough big hitters on here it would only get 6 or 7 people playing..perhaps this is why sky are doing the pst so they can entice the bigger players to dump their BR on sp which is a good thing
  • edited October 2010
    i am almost 100% sure when i say s tsp members all play a lot of mtt's only not on this site..........why play in a £20 fast structured tourny when they are winning/losing £200 per hand. all they need is a bigger buy-in better value tourny....
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Yes, but there is another argument that the MTT schedule is letting the quality players down. Sky understandably want to choose the best players for team sky, but conversely the schedule as it currently stands means that these best players hardly play any MTT's on the website and choose to play their tournaments elsewhere. You end up with a bit of a paradox - a team sky poker that plays all their "serious" tournaments away from Sky Poker?? (James has even said that flagship tournaments on here and the live SPT's are a bit of fun to him, given the level of buy-in) This doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me. Either improve the schedule so that they do play, or choose players from a rung lower on the ability level, who are more reflective of the schedule currently offered. It can not be both ways?! :-)  
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : Yes, but there is another argument that the MTT schedule is letting the quality players down. Sky understandably want to choose the best players for team sky, but conversely the schedule as it currently stands means that these best players hardly play any MTT's on the website and choose to play their tournaments elsewhere. You end up with a bit of a paradox - a team sky poker that plays all their "serious" tournaments away from Sky Poker?? (James has even said that flagship tournaments on here and the live SPT's are a bit of fun to him, given the level of buy-in) This doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me. Either improve the schedule so that they do play, or choose players from a rung lower on the ability level, who are more reflective of the schedule currently offered. It can not be both ways?! :-)  
    Posted by darich
    i agree with you the team should play in skys main tournaments

and as for the point before why should they play in a £20 tourny when they can play in a £200 one

which site is sponsering them

surely they have to play a vast amout of tournements on sky if your in team sky

as there only getting £1000 in tounamententries in 3 months this defeats that point as there going to be entered into £100 our £200 tournys

so for james this is just a bit off fun

sorry james nothing personal and you stats are amazing

if your in blackpool will buy you a drink and listern to everything you say with the hope of learning from you
  • edited October 2010
    What makes me laugh more than anything else?

Its the fact that the 'BETTER and HIGHER STAKES' players can squabble on a forum just as much as the rest of us.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : Yes, but there is another argument that the MTT schedule is letting the quality players down. Sky understandably want to choose the best players for team sky, but conversely the schedule as it currently stands means that these best players hardly play any MTT's on the website and choose to play their tournaments elsewhere. You end up with a bit of a paradox - a team sky poker that plays all their "serious" tournaments away from Sky Poker?? (James has even said that flagship tournaments on here and the live SPT's are a bit of fun to him, given the level of buy-in) This doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me. Either improve the schedule so that they do play, or choose players from a rung lower on the ability level, who are more reflective of the schedule currently offered. It can not be both ways?! :-)  
    Posted by darich

Again, you are not thinking this through. When the Sky Team play live events, they will be playing bigger buyin, longer and better structured tournaments. Why would it be beneficial to them playing £20 tournaments on Sky?

Also why would it be beneficial for the team to be comprised of Team Members who play on the "lower ability levels"? The Sky Team is designed  to advertise Sky on the Live Circuit to attract players to the site.... and obviously to make a positive return on investment! 

The current Team will be of better Tournament standard than players that play those buyins, its not an insult or a rub down.... just makes sense really.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : i agree with you the team should play in skys main tournaments and as for the point before why should they play in a £20 tourny when they can play in a £200 one which site is sponsering them surely they have to play a vast amout of tournements on sky if your in team sky as there only getting £1000 in tounamententries in 3 months this defeats that point as there going to be entered into £100 our £200 tournys so for james this is just a bit off fun sorry james nothing personal and you stats are amazing if your in blackpool will buy you a drink and listern to everything you say with the hope of learning from you
    Posted by sara36dd08

They don't have to play a vast amount of Sky Tournaments! They play a vast amount of high stakes cash tables! They generate thousands of rake for the site monthly, so not as if they don't pay for their entries they are being given. In relation to lower stakes players who do not rake nowhere near as much as they do! Sky is a business, forum is a luxury... cannot emphasize this more 
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : Again, you are not thinking this through. When the Sky Team play live events, they will be playing bigger buyin, longer and better structured tournaments. Why would it be beneficial to them playing £20 tournaments on Sky? Also why would it be beneficial for the team to be comprised of Team Members who play on the "lower ability levels"? The Sky Team is designed  to advertise Sky on the Live Circuit to attract players to the site.... and obviously to make a positive return on investment!  The current Team will be of better Tournament standard than players that play those buyins, its not an insult or a rub down.... just makes sense really.
    Posted by ChirpyChip
    Incorrect - I just hold a different opinion. How many other site's sponsored pro's play their "serious" tournaments on other websites?? Not many I would imagine

Sky needs to choose if it wants:

a) to be a major site that attracts big players to big tournaments and improve its schedule or
    b) to be the "most fun place" to play poker on the internet, and "where poker comes alive"

We have had a PR campaign that it was b) for 2-3 years, and I can only summise that it is shifting towards a) because the TV channel and all the uniqueness that comes with it is not proving profitable

As it has advertised itself as having the best online poker community to differentiate itself from its opposition since its inception, then I don't think anyone should dimiss its community as being worthless either.

We're not going to agree on this anytime this century, so I think we should just agree to disagree and leave it at that :-)
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : Incorrect - I just hold a different opinion. How many other site's sponsored pro's play their "serious" tournaments on other websites?? Not many I would imagine Sky needs to choose if it wants: a) to be a major site that attracts big players to big tournaments and improve its schedule or b) to be the "most fun place" to play poker on the internet, and "where poker comes alive" We have had a PR campaign that it was b) for 2-3 years, and I can only summise that it is shifting towards a) because the TV channel and all the uniqueness that comes with it is not proving profitable As it has advertised itself as having the best online poker community to differentiate itself from its opposition since its inception, then I don't think anyone should dimiss its community as being worthless either. We're not going to agree on this anytime this century, so I think we should just agree to disagree and leave it at that :-)
    Posted by darich

You couldn't be more incorrect. It is a well known fact that most online sponsored pros play on other sites under different names for obvious reasons. For example many of the FT pros play the Stars WCOOP events each year under known and unknown aliases. Even Phil Ivey played the Stars $5k WCOOP main event in September.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : You couldn't be more incorrect. It is a well known fact that most online sponsored pros play on other sites under different names for obvious reasons. For example many of the FT pros play the Stars WCOOP events each year under known and unknown aliases. Even Phil Ivey played the Stars $5k WCOOP main event in September.
    Posted by BrownnDog
    I imagine they play the majority of their tournaments on the sponsored site though - I never mentioned the word exclusivity!
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: SHOULD TSP BE PLAYING MORE TOURNYS???? : I imagine they play the majority of their tournaments on the sponsored site though - I never mentioned the word exclusivity!
    Posted by darich
    If they are sponsered by fulltilt or pokerstars yeah. All the players that are sponsered by other sites most definately play the big fulltilt and pokerstars tournys (online series)
  • edited October 2010
    god this has gone of on one!

I just would like to put again love team sky poker and all players are brilliant, i personally like [James] comin on here to defend himself which he doesnt need to but shows his confidence. personally if it was me i'd do the same and whether people like it or not most on here are c r ap shoots other then the deepies

TEAM SKY POKER FTW GL ALL
  • edited October 2010
    god this has gone of on one! I just would like to put again love team sky poker and all players are brilliant, i personally like [James] comin on here to defend himself which he doesnt need to but shows his confidence. personally if it was me i'd do the same and whether people like it or not most on here are c r ap shoots other then the deepies TEAM SKY POKER FTW GL ALL
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    penguin,james and all the other tsp i think you are all great players,i really mean that i have watched alot of you not just online but live and you all have great games,but i dont believe you should be at eachothers throats this isnt good for the community to see as we do have a great one at that.gd luck to you all
  • edited October 2010

A brief Update.

I mentioned ealier that the entire Tourney Schedule is being revamped to coincide with the introduction of of the DC.

Yesterday, I sat in on a Meet where the new Schedule was pretty much finalised, & if I recall correctly, the new Schedule will commence on Monday November 1st - about 2 weeks hence.

I think it addresses many of the points raised in this thread about the availability of Tournaments which have.....

Better structures.

Bigger Buy-Ins.

Bigger Guarantees.

The new 8pm Main Event schedule is particularly pleasing, imo, as it addresses all of the above.

But better still are some really excellent Tourneys, with superb structures, & at a range of prices that should cover "something for everyone". These will have a lot more "play", which, I think, is what many want to see. 
  • edited October 2010

DC?  Downloadable Client or Dealers Choice??
  • edited October 2010

The schedule also includes provision for the TSP-ers to be on the Site & playing certain Tourneys. More details on that soon, as first a "player roster" has to be organised, rather similar as we currently do with PTP.

In effect, a sort of Team Sky Poker version of Play The Presenter.

But we need to sort some stuff out with the Team first, so bear with us as to dates & details, but I expect/hope it will commence 1st November.
  • edited October 2010
    tikay

any chance of some razz tournys?
  • edited October 2010

There will also be a dedicated Team Sky Poker thread, which will probably start in the next 24/48 hours, where anyone can fire poker-based questions at the Team, from "in-play" hand advice, to how they started, & progressed, in poker, that sort of thing.

I just need to sort one or two more little details, & then that will start, almost certainly in the next 2 days. I wrote to them all to propose this, & they enthusiastically said they'd love to do it, so it sits with me to finalise a few bits now, then we can press the start button.

The dates & venues for where the TSP-ers will start playing Live Events between now & the end of December is pretty much sorted now, too.

I've also been asked by Sky Adam to explain in more detail exactly how the whole TSP thing works, & I'll try to grasp that little nettle tomorrow. I think, & hope, that it will explain a lot of things which have hitherto been a little confusing as to the who's, why's, & wherefores.