You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was he right to call?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    As lolraise said I am not here to be your friend batkin, you are a fish and it shows every time you post. It seems you are in the poker clinic to give advice rather than learn - when the advice you give is so flawed it's untrue.

I read the poker clinic to give advice where I see fit - and learn from others who have a better understanding of the game. My advice to you is post if you like, but when people try and help you, instead of arguing back and trying to fight a losing corner, accept you might be wrong.

I'll say it one more time - based on a wider range you have the odds to make this call - fine. But I'm telling you now, no-one on Sky re-raises to 1500 with 1700 behind with a hand worse than TT or AK, and that's being generous. I would go as far to say his hand is basically either AA or KK. Obviously he should be shoving but he didn't. Calling here is just throwing money and chips away for lols in the hope u bink some miraculous flop.

Luckily for the fish this time he won - but do this 100 times and I guarantee you will lose money.

And if playing poker is your 'job' (dole ftw), I doubt that's something you really want to be doing.

Fwiw I'll sit at your table any time you like.
  • edited October 2010

villain in the hand posted has played the hand poorly.  obviously he won but in the long run the way he played this hand would suggest that he is leaking chips in spots where he really shouldnt.  the raise pre flop is at best questionable and not something i would personally do. 

the call on the flop only makes sense because of the bad decisions made beforehand - this imo is what is causing arguments. 

the odds on the call make it mathematically explainable but again as has now been very clearly pointed the hero in the hand has shown a lot of strength in the way he played the hand pre flop and the 10 9 can expect to ahead a very small % of the time. 

the best possible result when holding the 10 9 in this hand is to be shown AK.  more often than not the 10 9 does not win this hand. 

• edited October 2010

for the record i am not on the dole you arrogant monkey i own my own valet company which runs without me. And notice how u didnt comment back on Talons post.

Ur problem is with me and you cant get over the fact that there is more than one way to play this hand. If u want to learn maybe u should take both sides of the coin.
    I dont argue back i question everyones advice thats how u improve ur game!!!!!

Now please go back and read Talons post above and from that you will realise if your tiny brain allows it to happen that the call isnt a bad call! It may well be optimistic but not a bad call.

And i aint a fish sonny boy i would of been ahead on the flop on this hand and stayed ahead!! (is that fishing?)

You have made my day today with ur childish primary school insults!!
    I will be playing nl30 upwards tonyt so come and find me please i will be happy to teach u a lesson

xx

Kalie

xx

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: was he right to call?:
    villain in the hand posted has played the hand poorly.  obviously he won but in the long run the way he played this hand would suggest that he is leaking chips in spots where he really shouldnt.  the raise pre flop is at best questionable and not something i would personally do.  the call on the flop only makes sense because of the bad decisions made beforehand - this imo is what is causing arguments.  the odds on the call make it mathematically explainable but again as has now been very clearly pointed the hero in the hand has shown a lot of strength in the way he played the hand pre flop and the 10 9 can expect to ahead a very small % of the time.  the best possible result when holding the 10 9 in this hand is to be shown AK.  more often than not the 10 9 does not win this hand. 
    Posted by huuuuume
    like i said pre flop should of been a higher bet but it didnt register my click...after that i he was obv gona follow because of the up down...

this is old news now anyway lol
  • edited October 2010
    shocking call, give up the game. well said pryce.
  • edited October 2010
    villian won .... well played
  • edited October 2010
    for the record i am not on the dole you arrogant monkey i own my own valet company which runs without me. And notice how u didnt comment back on Talons post. Ur problem is with me and you cant get over the fact that there is more than one way to play this hand. If u want to learn maybe u should take both sides of the coin. I dont argue back i question everyones advice thats how u improve ur game!!!!! Now please go back and read Talons post above and from that you will realise if your tiny brain allows it to happen that the call isnt a bad call! It may well be optimistic but not a bad call. And i aint a fish sonny boy i would of been ahead on the flop on this hand and stayed ahead!! (is that fishing?) You have made my day today with ur childish primary school insults!! I will be playing nl30 upwards tonyt so come and find me please i will be happy to teach u a lesson xx Kalie xx
    Posted by Batkin88
    I did respond to Talons post. He assigned a fairly wide range to villains 3 bet. I have stated many times his range is almost always overpairs here.

Indeed, in fact there are many ways to play any hand...

Stop being so results orientated. As people have stated, over time this will not happen.

Sigh. I've tried hard not to insult you. It is difficult though.

Good luck 'tonyt'.

• edited October 2010
    right obviously all in pre is correct move here, but what im saying pryce is with those odds might aswell play any two  only reason villain has called is thinks i could outdraw him and getting good money i doubt they actually think 10 9 is the nuts. I probably have never called a re-raise with 10 9 unless suited but still not everyone plays the same, its not good calling with the hand in question but u dont always have to play to the book

enough said im not going to bother with the slanging match just you obviously havent played batkin she is very good and consistent reads the game well so can call with any 2 she pleases

re point about shouldnt advice people to play 10 9 she isnt! shes just saying that you can narrow op hand down so easy to go with after flop or not
    regards
  • edited October 2010
    right obviously all in pre is correct move here, but what im saying pryce is with those odds might aswell play any two  only reason villain has called is thinks i could outdraw him and getting good money i doubt they actually think 10 9 is the nuts. I probably have never called a re-raise with 10 9 unless suited but still not everyone plays the same, its not good calling with the hand in question but u dont always have to play to the book enough said im not going to bother with the slanging match just you obviously havent played batkin she is very good and consistent reads the game well so can call with any 2 she pleases re point about shouldnt advice people to play 10 9 she isnt! shes just saying that you can narrow op hand down so easy to go with after flop or not regards
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    You can have the post flop skills of Phil Ivey, but you're not going to be able to outplay someone out of position in a 3 bet pot with a grand total of 2/3 of a pot size bet left.  

Is Batkin some kind of gimmick account?  I don't understand how he can argue so vehemently in favour of an absolutely terrible play.  Surely he must know that he really has no idea about the game.
  • edited October 2010
    Btw I've never really felt the need to post before, but some of the views put forward in this thread really do destroy my faith in humanity.
  • edited October 2010
    Lolol too good. You guys actually provoked a first time poster :)
  • edited October 2010
    lol mum, firstly batkin is a woman

secondly not that she can outplay anyone fwiw just read it back the villain could easily get away from the hand and will know exactly where they are cant see op play high pp this way could have low pp or overcards so with the call which is just under 3 -1 so could think hey ill take my chances
  • edited October 2010
    lol mum, firstly batkin is a woman secondly not that she can outplay anyone fwiw just read it back the villain could easily get away from the hand and will know exactly where they are cant see op play high pp this way could have low pp or overcards so with the call which is just under 3 -1 so could think hey ill take my chances
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I think this is a lost cause.
  • edited October 2010

In Response to Re: was he right to call? : I think this is a lost cause.
    Posted by pryce6
    i think u need to get a life robot
  • edited October 2010
    lol mum, firstly batkin is a woman secondly not that she can outplay anyone fwiw just read it back the villain could easily get away from the hand and will know exactly where they are cant see op play high pp this way could have low pp or overcards so with the call which is just under 3 -1 so could think hey ill take my chances
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    We should assume villain has no intention of folding post flop after putting half their stack in pre.  I don't even understand the rest of this post.
  • edited October 2010

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i give up trying to explain why the odds are correct for the call.
    However the pre raise isnt gr8 UTG but once thats been made you have to call implied odds and all.

Pryce i think u are 50-50 here in scaring off a 1st poster.
    Like i said at the start when i offered my opinion and didnt say anyone else was wrong and didnt pick anyone elses posts to pieces i agree with the call and its one i could and would make in BH or most MTT's considering stack sizes. I may have come across the wrong way in some posts but hey ho i am not a rude person im just blunt.
    U have insulted me trying to tell ppl im on the dole whereas im actually a mum of 1 who owns her own company.
    I would like to apologise to the original poster as this has ruined his thread and like to thank eagles for his apology and hope he recieved mine back.
    Pryce u need to realise to be a winnnig player and to help others your way isnt always correct and it has been proven with good solid facts in Talons thread.
    If u honestly think every re raise pre is overcards then fair enough but he could be stealing or anything here as short stacked. (bet if u had small stack like that u would shove here with AK)

And for the record this isnt me calling in the post it is a different player.
    If there is a right way to play everything then whats the point in playing poker?
    Odds say call... Implied odds say call... Pryce says fold

What would u do???

• edited October 2010
    Pryce6 is right on this one I'm afraid Batkin.  When all's said and done, your not calling that pf. Also, I saw pryce on total player, and he is actually very attractive, in sort of a greek/italian way. I enjoyed this thread though, well done everyone. xx
    Posted by mattm88
    are you a guy matt? please say yes.
  • edited October 2010
    imo pryce is right although he was a tad callous... but oh well its the poker clinic and thats just the way he appears to come across online.
  • edited October 2010
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    this explains a lot...

im only joking, dont get offended/go crazy, just messin :)
  • edited October 2010
    this thread is depressing

batkin quit while your 10ft underground you're talking nonsense, go back to watching dwan on youtube and stop insulting people like pryce who actually seem to have a clue
  • edited October 2010

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i give up trying to explain why the odds are correct for the call. However the pre raise isnt gr8 UTG but once thats been made you have to call implied odds and all. Pryce i think u are 50-50 here in scaring off a 1st poster. Like i said at the start when i offered my opinion and didnt say anyone else was wrong and didnt pick anyone elses posts to pieces i agree with the call and its one i could and would make in BH or most MTT's considering stack sizes. I may have come across the wrong way in some posts but hey ho i am not a rude person im just blunt. U have insulted me trying to tell ppl im on the dole whereas im actually a mum of 1 who owns her own company. I would like to apologise to the original poster as this has ruined his thread and like to thank eagles for his apology and hope he recieved mine back. Pryce u need to realise to be a winnnig player and to help others your way isnt always correct and it has been proven with good solid facts in Talons thread. If u honestly think every re raise pre is overcards then fair enough but he could be stealing or anything here as short stacked. (bet if u had small stack like that u would shove here with AK) And for the record this isnt me calling in the post it is a different player. If there is a right way to play everything then whats the point in playing poker? Odds say call... Implied odds say call... Pryce says fold What would u do???
    Posted by Batkin88

yep cool. like i said to ya its not personal i just disagree with what your sayin lol. opinions vary.

I aint been on sky for a while but gotta say reading through some of the threads/posts it seems lately its the blind leading the blind lol. but there are some v good players here who offer some great advice (ironically players who in the past ive argued/disagreed with on occasions believing i know better - when infact i didnt have a clue!) but tbh u really should listen & try to understand it because its sound advice.

as for this hand my advice would be to listen to the advice pryce has given or certainly dont just dismiss it because imo what he is saying is pretty much spot-on. but at the end of the day its your money & you can play the game how you wish - but if so many ppl are disagreein with your thought processes, ask yourself why?

gl at the tables

• edited October 2010
    Batkin88 you seem like a decent enough woman BUT i have to agree with nearly everything pryce has said in all his posts, he states some very important facts !!

Shocking call & shove pre = Simples

Ps...I think you two would make a lovely couple, reminds me of me & the misses :)
  • edited October 2010

i didnt disagree with pryce i think his way is absolutely fine its probably how i would play it in a cash game but the whole point of the clinic is to get different opinions and both sides of the coin.
    As its a new day im going to end this debate cause its not going anywhere at the end of the day there are ppl agreeing with me aswell as pryces its LAG V'S TAG at the end of the day.
    Quite enjoyed the debate apart from the insults

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: was he right to call? : are you a guy matt? please say yes.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Did you find pryce cute on the  total player clips too mate?

:)
  • edited October 2010
    Btw I've never really felt the need to post before, but some of the views put forward in this thread really do destroy my faith in humanity.
    Posted by hi_mum
    Either that or this account was set up by a reg on here who wants to remain annoymous? ;)
  • edited October 2010
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i give up trying to explain why the odds are correct for the call. However the pre raise isnt gr8 UTG but once thats been made you have to call implied odds and all. Pryce i think u are 50-50 here in scaring off a 1st poster. Like i said at the start when i offered my opinion and didnt say anyone else was wrong and didnt pick anyone elses posts to pieces i agree with the call and its one i could and would make in BH or most MTT's considering stack sizes. I may have come across the wrong way in some posts but hey ho i am not a rude person im just blunt. U have insulted me trying to tell ppl im on the dole whereas im actually a mum of 1 who owns her own company. I would like to apologise to the original poster as this has ruined his thread and like to thank eagles for his apology and hope he recieved mine back. Pryce u need to realise to be a winnnig player and to help others your way isnt always correct and it has been proven with good solid facts in Talons thread. If u honestly think every re raise pre is overcards then fair enough but he could be stealing or anything here as short stacked. (bet if u had small stack like that u would shove here with AK) And for the record this isnt me calling in the post it is a different player. If there is a right way to play everything then whats the point in playing poker? Odds say call... Implied odds say call... Pryce says fold What would u do???
    Posted by Batkin88

I wonder if thats gonna stop dohhhhhhhhh from perving at ya now lol.
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    fwiw batkin the villain's call would be better in a cash game than in this spot, at least then stack sizes would be a lot bigger compared to the blinds so he'd have a lot better implied odds against premium hands.

Talon's logic is flawed because underpairs must be heavily discounted given hero has put half is stack in the middle rather than shoving. And an overpair is more likely than overcards tbh so the villain is just going to lose more chips when he hits most of the time as has already been said. Also he won't get to realise all his equity against overcards anyway as hero is shoving any flop.

In hero's position I'd just shove pre given that most randomers on sky raising utg aren't folding w/e we make it. Obv the call with T9 is shocking though.
  • edited October 2010
    coming back and re rereading all this is hilarious YB i fully understand ur point as do i understand pryce's i just can see why he has called i dunno maybe im a fish lol
    i dunno if i PM u back but cheers for them tips helped loads
  • edited October 2010
    imo pryce is right although he was a tad callous... but oh well its the poker clinic and thats just the way he appears to come across online.
    Posted by BlackFish3

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

this thread is depressing batkin quit while your 10ft underground you're talking nonsense, go back to watching dwan on youtube and stop insulting people like pryce who actually seem to have a clue
    Posted by zing

NH

In Response to Re: was he right to call? : Either that or this account was set up by a reg on here who wants to remain annoymous? ;)
    Posted by donkeyplop

fwiw this player has been on Sky for a while.

Batkin I meant no offence to you as a person honestly. Your opinions and posts were just so flawed and tbh everything you've said in this thread has been ridiculous. What I said is right, you should never play this another way. Btw I would be 100% more likely to make this call in a cash game where your opponents stack gives you some sort of implied odds. The point people are trying to make is given his short stack a move like this is almost always a monster - as in he wants to give you the odds to call.

Btw I meant nothing by the dole comment. I just assumed when you said this was 'your job' that you were a fish that had lucked their way to a few hundred - and actually believed that this was some kind of career. If you actually own a company I do apologise, just don't confuse people by trying to claim fishing on sky poker is some kind of lucrative full time job for you.
  • edited October 2010
    lol still no need to post this debate is over my friend cant be bothered with your silly remarks either gl at the tables and would be nice to play u some tym