You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft.

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
I'm gutted at finishing 6th so bubbling must feel horrible.  Didn't see chips before just the result so can't comment on the chat too much but i'm guessing he can't be far off insta calling any 2 cards after raising.
I know it feels sh%t mate but we get our seats next month.
I would say at least a monkey eases the pain but £500 or £10k pkg not really comparable.

See ya HU next time! :)

Comments

• edited February 2011
    as people know i bubbled for a package to vegas but the exit hand was truly appauling etiquette by someone i had respect for as a player and a professional. This isn't a moan or whine but what happened was NOT right, and im angered by it. i played a great game when down to 2 tables, pushed and folded in the perfect spots to get 3 handed, even come back from 297 chips when blinds were 400/800.

i had 44 on the sb with 15k in chips and terell08 min raises to 4k after which i jam. now he has a decision for a good chunk of his chips. the timer starts going down and said railer starts typing 'call, call, call, call, call' repeatedly egging the guy on to call. we are on the bubble for a 10k package to vegas, the dream deal for any poker player! and the guy with the decision is being influenced by a 'pro' into calling. i know coxy is good freinds with the railer concerned and he wants him to win the package but what he said in the chat box just isn't on. i believe if nothing was said in the box the guy folds, he only had 8 high!!!!!!!!

when a player is allin chat should be disabled! totally disgusted by the attempt at influencing a decision that has such a massive prize on offer. and the said railer might not be bothered about what i say and people may laugh at this thread but it was disgusting behaviour. if the positions were reversed and the railer was on the other end of this as i was then he would be fuming just as much as me. 

i feel sick to the stomach, this month has been a kick in the teeth and this just takes the biscuit. fuming isnt the word. i expect it from a random railer but not a respected 'pro' he should have known better about it. im not angry at bubbling im heartbroken, just angered at the situation that occured.

i will end by saying congrats to terell08 and coxylboro, good luck in vegas.

a dissapointed 

Hurst05

Hi Hurst,

I have amended your post slightly to delete the name of the offending railer as naming and shaming is against forum rules.  I have forwarded a copy of your original post onto the Sky poker team so they are aware of what happened.  I hope that this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of this great game and that you try again next time to get to Vegas.

Sky Mod4
  • edited February 2011
    It was a very sick hand and such a bad way to go.  Yes it was 'just a race' but IMO terral would have been far less likely to make the call had the rail been silent.

I only railed the action from the FT, so ofc don't have a solid read on terral, however he didn't seem like someone who would put a large portion of his stack in jepordy for a 10k package with 78o....if he calls and looses then basically you and him were even in chips and he's esstentially gonna be flipping for that seat.

Just my read, could be totally wrong (usually am tbf).
  • edited February 2011
    I'd be really suprised if the guy called just because the rail told him too, as he had raised doubt he was folding any two cards anyway. and targeting sim is pretty wrong, you obvioulsy feel gutted and probaly tilted not to get the 10k package which is understandable, but to make a thread about 'Appauling chat' is silly.  

Should of slept on it and then see if you still had the same opinion in the morning. 
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat on the bubble on VLV ft.:
    I'd be really suprised if the guy called just because the rail told him too, as he had raised doubt he was folding any two cards anyway. and targeting sim is pretty wrong, you obvioulsy feel gutted and probaly tilted not to get the 10k package which is understandable, but to make a thread about 'Appauling chat' is silly.   Should of slept on it and then see if you still had the same opinion in the morning. 
    Posted by gaza559
    nearly 3rd stack with 78 with a 10k package at stake lol. he wouldnt have took so long if he was always going to call no matter what. its not the call its the point! if this happened in a live game thered be uproar, no different just cos its online. chat is disabled during an allin on other sites for a reason. my opinion would be the same in a week nevermind tomorrow.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, VUL tonight Hursty...thought it was destined for you after that stunning comeback from 248 chips or whatever it was...

Never seen that in chat before..unless the hand involved TK or Orford obv. I just thought he was joking tbf, though if you think he was trying to influence the play then I can understand why you'd be upset...

Take it easy pal...GL in March

xx

• edited February 2011
    if that was the case, then its out of order, like you say most sites do have a chat ban on all in situations, with so much at stake it should be bought in. , i couldnt watch the final as i still felt sick i missed it by a couple of places in the semi.  hope you make it in the future, but im thinking thats no consolation to you at this moment in time. ul and good luck    phil
  • edited February 2011
    If you're not involved in the pot you shouldn't talk about the pot.  One of the simplest rules in poker.  I'm guessing that the person involved probably got over excited and sometimes that makes us all do stupid things but frankly it's no excuse.
  • edited February 2011
    You may be a Wednesday Fan Hursty urrrgh and someone who would who would gladly steal blinds if your oppo was disconnected HU, shame lol but I agree with you. He may have called anyway but that is not the point here, folks who play this game as so called professionals should know better than to try and influence someone else's decisions especially in such a crucial spot.
    One of the good things about this site IMO is that railers can chat and support their mates in the chat box even at crucial points in games and I would not like to see this changed personally but you have to draw a line somewhere and this kind of action crosses that line.

Better luck next time m8 Ray
  • edited February 2011
    Hurst.... Just saw you post on the Viva main thread.

You Sir are a top bloke.  To have endured that and still post on the thread to congratulate the winners.  

Well Played, and I'm not just talking about your Poker.  Good Luck next month
  • edited February 2011
     and simuk might not be bothered about what i say and people may laugh at this thread but it was disgusting behaviour.

Is this the so called offender hurst?????
  • edited February 2011
    As read that's completely out of order. Railers shouldn't be typing "call, call" in a 30p dym, let alone with a Vegas package at stake and on the bubble. If the railer is also good mates, as suggested, with one of the other players remaining then quite frankly it's even worse.

Players get chat banned for abuse, but doubtless no action will be taken for the above. As a player I'd rather be called a donkey every day of the week that be subject to the above!

• edited February 2011

He was chip leader with 5 left, and  4x raised/stacked off for 15k with King 5 suited claiming he was "committed" when lying 1st/5 in a "top 2" sattellite".

Someone in Vegas is going to get the "golden seat" on his left - hope it's coxy. lol.

Only the man himself will know if the chat influenced his decision. Maybe he can comment.......
  • edited February 2011
    I have to agree that the "call, call, call" chants from a highly respected cash player on here surprised and disappointed me.

The stacks as far as i recall did not warrant an automatic call. In fact, even in a standard sng this would be a fold imho. But fair play to terrell, its not his fault and very well done to him and coxy.

Commiserations Hursty, I know you will bounce back, you played a great game and did not deserve this. I thought you would bink a package, and i cant imagine how sick you feel this morning.

Whether the "call call call" influenced the decision is not the issue really, its that that player should know better! Much better, and at the very least he should apologise to Hursty privatly and explain his actions.
  • edited February 2011
    Completely irrelevant if the comments influenced him or not. You just don't comment about hands in the chatbox fullstop.  
  • edited February 2011

Is it a rule though?

Things like this just aren't clear - and they should be.

If you're leaving things down to "common sense" or "conscience", when it comes to £10,000 prizes, these soon go out of the window.
  • edited February 2011
    Well I know for a fact it must be. Two years ago I received a "warning" for discussing cards in the chatbox. Hand on heart I wasn't even aware that I had done so and it certainly wasn't during the actual hand. It was discussing a hand after it had played out. I never understood why I was warned, but on the basis that I was, then this is far, far worse imo
  • edited February 2011
    on all other sites when either player is all in,the chat box is suspended until after the hand has played out.
  • edited February 2011

The thing is,does it matter what people say in the chat box?

if he had 5k in a 10 k pot, if people said call,it is still upto the individual,to press call ...

everyone does get involved,as it is a big event,and its very hard bubbling,

..but unlucky hurst,44 lost to 78....

especially coming back from 283 chips with blinds at 600/1200

next time my friend next time...

think legendary last year......

also a little shout for rosjim,who managed to lose aa on flop of ak 3.....

to kk with a k on river....

but hey thats the nature of the game, like it or loathe it , its the nature of the beast...

good luck to you all,

ps i always go on mini view until the game is over now..thus avoiding distractions...
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft.:
    The thing is,does it matter what people say in the chat box? if he had 5k in a 10 k pot, if people said call,it is still upto the individual,to press call ... everyone does get involved,as it is a big event,and its very hard bubbling, ..but unlucky hurst,44 lost to 78.... especially coming back from 283 chips with blinds at 600/1200 next time my friend next time... think legendary last year...... also a little shout for rosjim,who managed to lose aa on flop of ak 3..... to kk with a k on river.... but hey thats the nature of the game, like it or loathe it , its the nature of the beast... good luck to you all, ps i always go on mini view until the game is over now..thus avoiding distractions...
    Posted by djblacke04
    I'm sorry, but you're totally missing the point imo.

Yes, with such an amount at stake, it shouldn't influence you, but it simply shouldn't be said. Whether or not it influences anybody is not really the point
  • edited February 2011
    Really bad form imo, comments should defo be suspended when someone is all in and esp if the guy is a so called respected pro then he should clearly know better. Online or live it is out of order but unless the chat box is changed then you are going to get this stuff keep happening so come on Sky sort it out! Ul again Hurst, I bubbled the 5pm semi as you know but you make me now feel slightly better knowing I only got £170 quid less than you for a lot less hours work! keep smiling and gl next month
  • edited February 2011
    perhaps the offending player would like to come on the thread and put his side ove the sittuation and his reason for saying why he said what he said and did he want it to prompt the call or what.anyway chin up jamie see you in luton m8 me and mick will help you spend that £500 lol.del
  • edited February 2011
    I have to agree with the suspension of chat when a player goes all in - good idea

It is a rule in live poker that you must not talk about a hand while it is in progress and you must not influence a player who is in a hand when you are not.

However any spectator can shout call, call, call as basically he doesn't know or suggest anything about the cards the guy is holding, if he were to shout "call if you have a pair, or call if you have an ace" I think it would be taken more as "influencing" a player.

I do agree it was inappropriate to put what he did in the chat box and the vast majority of us in there were letting the players play without any sort of message to them other than good luck wishes, I wouldn't have made that call after the jam, I think the jam from Hursty was a very good play and if I had my hand in the cookie jar with 78 there I would have folded but only one person knows if the rail influenced the call, I suspect not but that isn't the point, agree that chat needs to be disabled to observers in all in situations

Dave
  • edited February 2011
    I have no idea whats actually happened, I was snug in dream land at the time.

However reading from my understanding even a spectator influencing a desision is bad ettiquite (spelling).

I know in a number of events i play in, as a spetator you are requested not to speak during hand and expessially just an all in situation. I got a warning at a live game not that long ago actually. My mate goes all in, hes UTG with about 6BB, (everyone was 3-14BB with one guy as huge chip leader, the chip leader was on other table) i shouted nothing more than "c'mon Daz" which i dont think effects any desision what so ever. But i was kindly asked not to do it again, and if i did do it again i wouldnt be allowed in the card room.

Ok so that was a pretty strict event and was also on the bubble although the stakes where hugely different. £20 for the first guy that didnt bubble i think.

Looking at this situation though i think theres alot more to it than wht ive read so i cant really comment. However in my experiance if it has influenced the desision of the player surely that counts as 2 people playing the cards? Which i know is against the rules everywhere. I maybe wrong.

Id like to see a comment from sky to be honest.
  • ybyb
    edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft.:
    Hurst.... Just saw you post on the Viva main thread. You Sir are a top bloke.  To have endured that and still post on the thread to congratulate the winners.   Well Played, and I'm not just talking about your Poker.  Good Luck next month
    Posted by JockBMW
    +1

vwp sir, hope you run good next time.
  • edited February 2011

unlucky to bubble, must be a sick feeling in a tourney for Vegas..anyways i think chat should be banned when a player goes all-in then there cant be an issue as above happening. just out of interest, does this boarder on collusion???
    all the best for your next attempt.

• edited February 2011
    Unlucky Hurst, and I can totally understand your frustration at what happened.  I agree that it would be a good idea for chat to be turned off in such circumstances, but i'm not sure how easy it would be for Sky to impliment.  Hopefully Sky will take appropriate action against the offending player.

I am certain that you will bounce back from last nights incident and there will soon be a Vegas ticket with your name on it.
  • edited February 2011
    I thought someone else would have posted this thread anyway. Pretty sick to be typing call on the bubble of a 10k package but w/e - hope he's happy with himself.
  • edited February 2011
    Block all chat when a player is all-in, it works fine on other sites.

If the person (I've no idea who it was) who typed 'call, call, call' is a friend of someone at the final table who wasn't in the hand and stood to gain if there was an elimination then this is very unsavoury. Even if they're not it's still terrible etiquette. Hursty has every reason to feel the way he does. It's too late to do anything about this now, we'll never know if the decision to call was infuenced, but action could and should be taken to stop this happening again in the future. I hope the person involved is ashamed and an apology will be forthcoming.
  • edited February 2011
    As much as Sky are right to take my name off of Hurst's original thread... IT WAS ME WHO DID IT. 

And I am seriously embarrassed now...

Hurst, I am incredibly sorry and not that it is any defence but I was very excited at the thought of one of best friend's joining me in Vegas this summer. (Coxy I mean obv...)... and I just lost all control.

Certainly I should have had more respect for what was essentially a £9.5k flip for you. Especially after making a come back from half a SB!

Again not that this is any defence but Terrell had not said anything in the chat the whole night, not even when he won... not even when Coxy binked the one outer late on in the tournament... so I really don't think I influenced the call as his chat window was seemingly not open. But again I was way out of line and very sorry.

Sim

• edited February 2011
    I do also think that Terrell has to be given enough respect, in that, he had made it that far and very unlikely to listen to a rail bird in the chat who clearly wanted to see some action. Rather make his own decisions that had got him that far.