You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I have for quite some time now been disappointed by some of the things ive seen in the chat and on the forum....................lots of over-the-top criticism and slagging of people and not just for their play...............there is a fine line between banter and yobbish rudeness.

I totally agree with Hurst and the others that the "call call" was out of order, however all credit to sim for accepting responsibilty and admitting his shame.

You've been playing well Hurst and fully deserve the chance, I hope you qualify next month...............if not maybe sim will take you as his +1

Please though guys, less bad-beat stories, less "wat a donk" stories, and more smiles!!!!!

I've given up poker now and taken up pofunker. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Come on Sky Poker what have you got to say on this matter ??????? Yes simuk has said he is sorry for what he did.
       Im sure im not the only one who wants to know what if anything Sky Poker are going to do about it, and what they are going to do to stop this type of thing happening again.
                                                      Regards  Mick.
  • edited February 2011

Several Posts asking Sky Poker to comment.

I'm afraid you'll have to write to Customer Care if you want them to reply, there is no mechanism whereby the Suits monitor this Community, Customer Care exists for that purpose, & it makes no sense to duplicate their role.

I'm happy to reply to any or all questions on the thread, however, if you wish, but it'll be based on my understanding of the various scenarios, & be my own opinions. I would be able to explain a number of things, though, & I'm happy so to do, if you wish.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft.:
    Several Posts asking Sky Poker to comment. I'm afraid you'll have to write to Customer Care if you want them to reply, there is no mechanism whereby the Suits monitor this Community, Customer Care exists for that purpose, & it makes no sense to duplicate their role. I'm happy to reply to any or all questions on the thread, however, if you wish, but it'll be based on my understanding of the various scenarios, & be my own opinions. I would be able to explain a number of things, though, & I'm happy so to do, if you wish.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay once again you find yourself in the unenviable position of taking the brunt of peoples varying points of view, on what is let's face it a hot topic at the moment.

One of the things I see again and again in this thread is the question of whether chat should be banned on all ins.

My question to this is  Would it be possible to start a thread on the forum with a poll attached to discuss this very point and pass on the result to the Sky Suits to look at and discuss / implemt any actions based on that poll.

• edited February 2011
    Have just seen a thread on Facebook with people saying that I will get away without a chat ban because Sky will give me some sort of preferential treatment. 

I personally am expecting to get chat banned... so please do it if it is common practice in cases such as these.

As TK suggests... it would take Hurst to make a formal complaint to customer care...
  • edited February 2011
    Why should you b chat banned you didn't break any rules.

• edited February 2011
    Well whatever is common practice. 
  • edited February 2011
    Why should you b chat banned you didn't break any rules.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 even tho it may not have been the wisest thing to do, an apology has been offered and reasons given, and as you rightly say Dohhhhhhh no rules IMO have been broken. Just hope all this can be sorted
  • edited February 2011
    i have never reported anyone nor shall i until the day arrives i recieve really personal abuse, i appreciate sims apology and that the heat of the moment gets to everyone but the chat in question was not derogatory or offensive just plain bad etiquette which sim has acknowledged, and i have to live with. i dont think it warrants a chat ban personally, just for people to be aware of it in the future VLV finals or any other big game for that matter. 

i dont think TK is taking any flak here nor do i wish him to, the man gets more than enough as it is. hes a great guy and ambassador for the game but i would however find it interesting to hear his views on scenarios like this and any similar hes seen in the past...

Hursty
  • edited February 2011
    Sim i dont think theres ever been a case like this. On Sky that i know of anyways.

Youve been decent enough to come out and say "it was me" and appoligise. I dont know if youve spoke to hurst and i can understand why he is upset.

Ive also not seen the thing on FB, and i think maybe going onto facebook about it and having a thread there aswell might be a little harsh. It gives not only sky a bad name but yourself aswell and in my experiance youve been a pretty decent guy, and been decent enough to own up and admit youve made a mistake, Not alot of people can do that.

I just hope this matter is resovled without the need of any hard feelings between ourself and Hurst as i think it would hurt this community if it isnt.
  • edited February 2011

Iv seen much worse from players actually sat in the game, and even taking part in the hand.

Like your rep shouldnt save you from a ban, just because it was a "big game" shouldn't influence the decision to give you one either.

It's not even clear what the chatbox rules are. it's left to "common sense" - so sky have no right to ban anyone for breaking rules until they actually publish a list of what is and is not accptable.

The prob was with etiquette.

I would be gutted and feel abit cheated if I was in Hursts position.

I'd have done the same as you in your position - as theres nothing there to stop you.

If they suddenly put rules in place as a result of what happened, this will be a good thing.

Punishing you for breaking the rule before it was even in place would be out of order.

• edited February 2011
    I have for quite some time now been disappointed by some of the things ive seen in the chat and on the forum....................lots of over-the-top criticism and slagging of people and not just for their play...............there is a fine line between banter and yobbish rudeness. I totally agree with Hurst and the others that the "call call" was out of order, however all credit to sim for accepting responsibilty and admitting his shame. You've been playing well Hurst and fully deserve the chance, I hope you qualify next month...............if not maybe sim will take you as his +1 Please though guys, less bad-beat stories, less "wat a donk" stories, and more smiles!!!!! I've given up poker now and taken up pofunker. :)
    Posted by JAEGERBOMB
    +1 - Voice of sense!!

Reading further down I don't see any reason for chat bans etc, surely this discussion has run to a natural end now and if customer care had reason to act if requested then so be it, we don't need to badger on to TK about it.

Players always have and always will have the freedom to play any 2 cards they wish and make any value call they want on marginal holdings, it is the beauty of the game!
  • edited February 2011
    i have never reported anyone nor shall i until the day arrives i recieve really personal abuse, i appreciate sims apology and that the heat of the moment gets to everyone but the chat in question was not derogatory or offensive just plain bad etiquette which sim has acknowledged, and i have to live with. i dont think it warrants a chat ban personally, just for people to be aware of it in the future VLV finals or any other big game for that matter.  i dont think TK is taking any flak here nor do i wish him to, the man gets more than enough as it is. hes a great guy and ambassador for the game but i would however find it interesting to hear his views on scenarios like this and any similar hes seen in the past... Hursty
    Posted by hurst05
    Excellent, mature post
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft. : Excellent, mature post
    Posted by SolarCarro
    +1
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft. : +1
    Posted by scouse_red
    +2
  • edited February 2011
    Several Posts asking Sky Poker to comment. I'm afraid you'll have to write to Customer Care if you want them to reply, there is no mechanism whereby the Suits monitor this Community, Customer Care exists for that purpose, & it makes no sense to duplicate their role. I'm happy to reply to any or all questions on the thread, however, if you wish, but it'll be based on my understanding of the various scenarios, & be my own opinions. I would be able to explain a number of things, though, & I'm happy so to do, if you wish.
    Posted by Tikay10

Tikay,

Why no opinion? You arrived on the rail after lJamesl text you, well before this happened, then you typed well played at the very end so you were clearly still around, my gf was railing. Did you close the chat box in between? It would be very convenient for you if you had.

If I or indeed the vast majority of us had done this I am sure you would have had an instant opinion and rightly so, but this appears to be a case of Sim's me mate etc, etc, so contact customer care. You often refer to the suits but you sit in the meetings with them, if you're not a suit you look very much like one, I have a strong feeling you are more than capable of getting things done on here when it suits you.

Sim may well have apologised, i'm sure hurst05 feels soooooooo much better, I have a feeling he's being very polite. If sim's truly sorry he can wire hursty05 £9,500 by way of penance, it's the least he can do in light of such classless behaviour.

I may not be everyone's cup of tea but this is beyond anything even I could be accused of doing, this behaviour at the very end of a Vegas final where such a huge prize is at stake was a disgrace.

• edited February 2011
    Thanks Hurst, very mature post. 

Like I said, I was excited in the heat of the moment and hope this is now all resolved.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft. :   Tikay, Why no opinion? You arrived on the rail after lJamesl text you, well before this happened, then you typed well played at the very end so you were clearly still around, my gf was railing. Did you close the chat box in between? It would be very convenient for you if you had. If I or indeed the vast majority of us had done this I am sure you would have had an instant opinion and rightly so, but this appears to be a case of Sim's me mate etc, etc, so contact customer care. You often refer to the suits but you sit in the meetings with them, if you're not a suit you look very much like one, I have a strong feeling you are more than capable of getting things done on here when it suits you. Sim may well have apologised, i'm sure hurst05 feels soooooooo much better, I have a feeling he's being very polite. If sim's truly sorry he can wire hursty05 £9,500 by way of penance, it's the least he can do in light of such classless behaviour. I may not be everyone's cup of tea but this is beyond anything even I could be accused of doing, this behaviour at the very end of a Vegas final where such a huge prize is at stake was a disgrace.
    Posted by stien
    1) I am sure I didn't influence the guys decision. He did not say a single thing in the chat box throughout the tournament, even when he won. If he had been active in the chat box, no way I type what I did...
    2) To say I did definitely influence his opinion is insulting to Terrell68 saying that he cannot make this decision without the help of a railbird. He got to the top 3 didnt he?!
    3) If it had been a well known player making the call, or if he had called with 43 none of this would be an issue and I am not going to stand here and be insulted like this  Stien no matter how out of line I was initially.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Appauling chat etiquette on the bubble on VLV ft. :   Tikay, Why no opinion? You arrived on the rail after lJamesl text you, well before this happened, then you typed well played at the very end so you were clearly still around, my gf was railing. Did you close the chat box in between? It would be very convenient for you if you had. If I or indeed the vast majority of us had done this I am sure you would have had an instant opinion and rightly so, but this appears to be a case of Sim's me mate etc, etc, so contact customer care. You often refer to the suits but you sit in the meetings with them, if you're not a suit you look very much like one, I have a strong feeling you are more than capable of getting things done on here when it suits you. Sim may well have apologised, i'm sure hurst05 feels soooooooo much better, I have a feeling he's being very polite. If sim's truly sorry he can wire hursty05 £9,500 by way of penance, it's the least he can do in light of such classless behaviour. I may not be everyone's cup of tea but this is beyond anything even I could be accused of doing, this behaviour at the very end of a Vegas final where such a huge prize is at stake was a disgrace.
    Posted by stien
    Matter resolved, Hurst05 felt that an act of bad etiquette had been committed, Sim agreed, apologised and explained it was heat of the moment in support of his friend and Hursty has accepted this, no need for any further action.

Why you feel the need to then personally attack Tikay is irrelevant, whether TK was there or not, whether TK is friends with Sim (he is friends with Hursty as well!) is neither here no there, there is no case for the suits to answer to.

I have requested the thread be closed
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by stien
    Once again stien you cross the line. The matter has been resolved and the thread should be closed.
  • edited February 2011
    I have watched the final stages of every VLV last year and this year and been appalled at some of the lack of etiquette in the chatbox. Particularly from people who have had no involvement in the tournament at all and are just trying to be controversial. When I played in one last year I switched it off for a while and I suspect Terrell may have done the same thing.

So although Sims action was no doubt illjudged, it is debatable whether it had any influence on the outcome. With all of the nonsense that goes on in the chatbox, it is easy to get carried away.

I am glad to see his prompt and unequivocal apology, not that I expected anything less. And personally I hope that is the end of the matter. Although like Hursty I am interested in hearing Tikays views.

Despite my making no contribution in the chatbox at the time I was rooting for Hursty and Rosjim throughout. Both are always great to play against. I would have loved to see the two of them get through, and was sad to see them both go out in unusual circumstances. Particularly as they had both struggled on so well after being so short, and have taken the outcome with dignity.

We have all got more chances to get on that plane, and I hope Hursty gets there, but in all this the fact that we have two worthy winners mustnt be forgotten. I will certainly be railing Coxy and Terrell in July, although it will probably be from a distance of thousands of miles !

• edited February 2011
    Well said Penguin.
  • edited February 2011
    I have watched the final stages of every VLV last year and this year and been appalled at some of the lack of etiquette in the chatbox. Particularly from people who have had no involvement in the tournament at all and are just trying to be controversial. When I played in one last year I switched it off for a while and I suspect Terrell may have done the same thing. So although Sims action was no doubt illjudged, it is debatable whether it had any influence on the outcome. With all of the nonsense that goes on in the chatbox, it is easy to get carried away. I am glad to see his prompt and unequivocal apology, not that I expected anything less. And personally I hope that is the end of the matter. Although like Hursty I am interested in hearing Tikays views. Despite my making no contribution in the chatbox at the time I was rooting for Hursty and Rosjim throughout. Both are always great to play against. I would have loved to see the two of them get through, and was sad to see them both go out in unusual circumstances. Particularly as they had both struggled on so well after being so short, and have taken the outcome with dignity. We have all got more chances to get on that plane, and I hope Hursty gets there, but in all this the fact that we have two worthy winners mustnt be forgotten. I will certainly be railing Coxy and Terrell in July, although it will probably be from a distance of thousands of miles !
    Posted by penguin7
    very well said
  • edited February 2011
    sim,

"1) I am sure I didn't influence the guys decision. He did not say a single thing in the chat box throughout the tournament, even when he won. If he had been active in the chat box, no way I type what I did..."

1. You were excited that was your excuse wasn't it. So let me get this right, excited as you were you were aware of his ability/inability to see what you wrote, but obviously unable to stop yourself from making said remarks, this gets better.

2. nor relevant, all ifs and buts........ you did end of.

3. I am not going to stand here and be insulted like this...well don't write classless stuff in a public chat box....as you did tough not that I'm sure I insulted you, I can if you want me to.

• edited February 2011
    I have watched the final stages of every VLV last year and this year and been appalled at some of the lack of etiquette in the chatbox. Particularly from people who have had no involvement in the tournament at all and are just trying to be controversial. When I played in one last year I switched it off for a while and I suspect Terrell may have done the same thing. So although Sims action was no doubt illjudged, it is debatable whether it had any influence on the outcome. With all of the nonsense that goes on in the chatbox, it is easy to get carried away. I am glad to see his prompt and unequivocal apology, not that I expected anything less. And personally I hope that is the end of the matter. Although like Hursty I am interested in hearing Tikays views. Despite my making no contribution in the chatbox at the time I was rooting for Hursty and Rosjim throughout. Both are always great to play against. I would have loved to see the two of them get through, and was sad to see them both go out in unusual circumstances. Particularly as they had both struggled on so well after being so short, and have taken the outcome with dignity. We have all got more chances to get on that plane, and I hope Hursty gets there, but in all this the fact that we have two worthy winners mustnt be forgotten. I will certainly be railing Coxy and Terrell in July, although it will probably be from a distance of thousands of miles !
    Posted by penguin7
    Great post Tony. And i think it also voices the opinion of the vast amount of the community.
  • edited February 2011
    ...I can if you want me to.
    Posted by stien

Probably not the best idea.

All,

What happened in the chat box during last night's VLV Final is something which certainly goes past the boundaries of poker etiquette. Simuk has come onto to the forum to apologise for his actions which were certainly in the wrong and hurst05 has accepted that. There are some very mature posts in this thread and others which are a little less productive.

Regarding those who want to hear the offical Sky Poker line, Simuk has acted well beyond what is expected of Sky Poker's players. However any actions that are taken will be conducted in exactly the same way as any other customer - in private. We expect all players to act with good manners and respect towards other players. Simuk didn't do that in the chat box last night and that was misguided. Let's not see the same errors compounded on this thread though.

The best of luck to Coxy and Terrell and commisserations to hurst05. I for one appreciate the class you've shown.
  • edited February 2011
    IMHO while any hand is in play , all chat should be banned , full stop.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by stien
    For goodness sake.

You have confused two completely seperate matters here, Stein.

For the record......

I opened up the Final Table as soon as it began, & I remained on it throughout. I was, however, doing other things - private matters, nothing to do with Sky Poker - elsewhere, at the time. I was not working, but I just thought it'd be nice to Rail the players home. 

I said "hi" to all the Railers who acknowledged me, & I said "Good Luck" guys to each player. I commented, several times, including to "terrel", "gl m8" or "unlucky" as appropriate.

I commented directly to lJAMESl several times on a completely unrelated matter. If you must know, I had not much appreciated a series of texts from him between Midnight & 1am, I feel that at that time of night, I want to have some privacy & respite from texts, MSN Messages, PM's, etc. He often contacts me at 6am & 7am, & I just wanted him to realise I do not always appreciate it. It was not the time & place to discuss it, & I said as much in the chat Box. No more, no less, & I like James very much because I can speak my mind to him, & he takes it like a man. My exchange with James on the Rail was not connected to the VLV Final.

I genuinely never saw the "call" comment which I now gather was made by Simmy. The Chat box whizzes up the screen when 20 or 30 people are on it, & I was busy trying to say "Hi" to each Railer who spoke directly to me. You need to be aware that a failure to do exactly that had resulted in a tirade of abuse against me a few weeks ago, when I accidentally failed to acknowledge someone's greeting in the Chat Box, & I feared a repeat of that. (Which is why I have not been on the Site much since, except when working).

So no, it was not "convenient", it just panned out as above, no more, no less. 

I have already said I'm happy to give my opinions, see my previous Post. But I never saw the "call" comment at the time it happened, or I would have commented there & then.

Simmy is NOT a "mate" of mine, for the record. I have probably met him, though, but I can't clearly recall. A lot of players here are "mates".

I DO sit in Management Meetings, & sometimes I CAN & DO contribute to decisions. But I am NOT a spokesperson, & I would not presume to be. I am the "Relations Manager", not a Spokeperson, & I'm not permitted to act outwith my specific brief.

I will record my views as to the questions which have been asked by others, shortly.

May I ask a question of you, now? Why do you so frequently assume I do not, or would not, be wholly honest & truthful in these, or other, matters? Instead, you make repeated slights against me, such as "how convenient" etc. I don't do dishonest, and anyone who knows me will know that. What's with all the hate?

Had I seen the comment, I would have replied, there & then. I did not.
  • edited February 2011
    sim, "1) I am sure I didn't influence the guys decision. He did not say a single thing in the chat box throughout the tournament, even when he won. If he had been active in the chat box, no way I type what I did..." 1. You were excited that was your excuse wasn't it. So let me get this right, excited as you were you were aware of his ability/inability to see what you wrote, but obviously unable to stop yourself from making said remarks, this gets better. 2. nor relevant, all ifs and buts........ you did end of. 3. I am not going to stand here and be insulted like this...well don't write classless stuff in a public chat box....as you did tough not that I'm sure I insulted you, I can if you want me to.
    Posted by stien
    That chat box almost seemed to be a place for the rail to banter around as there were no players commenting, hence what I said.  

You seemingly seem to have a problem with me, even way from this thread. You were in no way involved last night yet feel the need to come on here and spark things up. Not forgetting the utterly trollish comments made on my latest blog post.

• edited February 2011

The reported comment was bang out of order - wrong wrong wrong. No fudging that.

But I believe it was said in the heat of the moment. Simmy has apologised, & I think Hursty has accepted it.

I have no idea if Simmy has been censured, as that is not within my area of authority, & is nothing to do with me. Management works in "lines", & I'm not in that line.

I would have thought his fulsome apology would suffice personally. I have seen far worse things go unpunished.

The "go, on, calllllll" thing is something mates do - me included - in small-ball poker, when we are having a bit of a laugh. That's fine & dandy, this was not. From what I now gather, terrell never saw it.

It seems to have been forgotten that I am as much an admirer of Hursty as I am of, for example, Simmy. Re-Run the last 4 Shows I have done, & you will find that on each Show, I specifically mentioned three young players who have a wonderful future in Poker, as their games have improved immensely of late. Two of then are Hursty, & Wacko.

In all this noise, the performance of Hursty, to fight back from less than 300 chips is being ignored. You do him a disservice. It was an amazing fightback, well done him. But Poker can smack us in the chops, too, & he got one of those last night. It had nothing to do with inappropriate comments, but they made it seem worse. I feel for him, in some ways, though I think "beats" in poker need to be kept in perspective. I shall be writing to him today, & hope to do something on behalf of Sky Poker which will ease his pain a little bit.

Should the Rail be closed? No way! It's there for everyone to use & enjoy. Just because a poor comment is made - & it was - is not reason to close it. It's not a problem we have ever had before, to the best of my knowledge. I will defend a "free Rail" as long as I am able.

Should chat be disabled during "all-ins"? Yes yes yes, it should. But I don't think it's that easy to implement, & they are currently working on a lot of more important stuff which needs doing. I'm sure, in time, chat WILL be disabled during all-ins. The oddity is the "sort it out, Sky" comment we see so often. Players ALSO have to take responsibility for their actions. Some seem to have forgotten that.

Simmy was wrong. He's apologised. He made a bad mistake in the heat of the moment. There but for the grace of God go I, if not you.

Hursty was unlucky, in some ways, but I don't think the inappropriate comment made a dot of difference.

Well done terrell & Coxy.

The next VLV Final will be on March 27. I will not be Online that night.