You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dym thread - Mon Morning.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    1st March!! The day I've been dreading!!!!

Going for the big 10k points this month, I dunno how realistic that target is.

I normally play every other day, for like 3/4 hours playing cash, and a few tournys and sngs....

And get 3-4k.....

If I double that (playing every day) and then put abit more effort in on top, I think I can get there.

Part of that will be playing dyms, starting at £10 - I'll be posting hands on this thread rather than cluttering up the clinic with new threads.

Appreciate the input of the regulasr dym guys at all levels.

In some hands, I'll post the results, and reasoning behind why I did what I did, starting with thisb first one....

First one happened on the bubble this mornning, dealt a PP on the BB facing what is basically a shove UTG from a regular player.

First thought. - Snap call.

Secoind thought - Fold.....I thought I would rather be shoving than calling off, and this guy is never making this pot committing raise with anything less than 66.

Thoughts?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    hammerdave Small blind  200.00 200.00 2212.50
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  400.00 600.00 1910.00
      Your hole cards

CHILLIE Raise  1200.00 1800.00 2700.00
    ukelvis Fold     
    hammerdave Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    CHILLIE Muck     
    CHILLIE Win  1000.00  3700.00
    CHILLIE Return  800.00 0.00 4500.00

• edited March 2011
    Yeah good luck mate.

I agree you can safely fold this first one. Personally, I would make sure to shove at least once the following orbit (barring someone getting crippled or something). 
  • edited March 2011
    Good Luck JJ my man!
  • edited March 2011
    Yh I'd fold here, best you can hope for is a race and when you shove next hand they can't call too light either.
  • edited March 2011

Next 2....

Wasn't sure what to do on this flop......

I hate bet folding it, I've picked up equity if he calls, but it's obv likely to hit his range.

No notes on him, but flatting pre from his stack is horrid, so I assume he's a donk who loves to see flops w/TJ, QJ/QT/J9 etc......and then he isn't folding if he connects obv.

What would you do? check/give up? bet call? (ugh) Jam?
    JAH66 Small blind  50.00 50.00 3495.00
    A-Ringer Big blind  100.00 150.00 2280.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • J

pieman6623 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  275.00 425.00 2025.00
    pascoD Call  275.00 700.00 950.00
    JAH66 Fold     
    A-Ringer Fold     
    Flop

• Q

DOHHHHHHH
    2nd one.....

Im kicking myself here. Im sat with 4k, and AJo utg on the bubble.

The guy on the buttonn has me covered, and the other 2 are short - so I open to 800 to send a message to everyoine really, if the big stack shoves, I can fold....He needs a premium hand, prob AA or KK only to re-ship.......

The other 2 know that I'm obviously not folding - so to them it's luike facing a shove.

I obv snap it off when he re-shoves....

Should I have just folded pre????? with my stack??????
    BananaDog Small blind  200.00 200.00 1800.00
    moses123 Big blind  400.00 600.00 1720.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • J

DOHHHHHHH Raise  800.00 1400.00 3290.00
    NorthSi Fold     
    BananaDog Fold     
    moses123 All-in  1720.00 3120.00 0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Call  1320.00 4440.00 1970.00
    moses123 Show
    • A
    • K

DOHHHHHHH Show
    • A
    • J

Flop

• K
    • K

Turn

• Q

River

moses123 Win Three Kings 4440.00  4440.00
  • edited March 2011

The KJs hand I wouldn't personally have opened there due to the guy on the button having a perfect reshoving stack (fine otherwise). As it is I definately think you're fine to stick him in. In fact I think you have to to be honest.

The second hand I don't think you've done a lot wrong at all. There's nothing wrong with taking steps to knock out the shorts stacks and end the game, especially with the blinds so high and a strong hand like AJ. What happened is something that will happen only very rarely so I wouldn't worry about it. Besides your still 3/4 in chips (albeit barely). FWIW I would raise it to 1000 to make absolutely clear everyone gets the message you're sending but w/e, it's probably just the same and your way you save 200 when the big stack reships.

• edited March 2011
    First hand with the 66 is a fold. Chips in first!

Your second thought needs to become your default in these Dohhhhhhh. You are right imo, having played 100s of dyms with Chillie i think he must have you crushed. He could have 55 i suppose or obv AK, AQ. But no point calling, just shove the next time you have an open spot.
  • edited March 2011
    On the KJ hand. I fold pre. Yes i know im a nit.
    You are in a tricky position on this flop. It is a stick him all in bet, or a check fold unless he makes a redic min bet or summit, then you can peel a turn card. Dunno what id do tbh.
  • edited March 2011

On the AJ hand I like your logic with the min raise, but i prefer a fold preflop because I want the guy on the button to put pressure on the blinds, not me. Alternatively, i want the sb and bb to clash. I am not in any immediate danger.

Edit* Its CLOSE again though and having read what JC has written after i wrote what i wrote i think you should listen to him!

Your posting some great hands Dohhhhhhh GOOD LUCK and keep it up!

• edited March 2011
    Interesting that you have chosen to add DYM's into your schedule.

Will be interested to hear how it matches up to your expectations.

Good comments from John as always and agree with him.

Fold 66

With the KJ. It's not the end if you shove and you lose to the expected call. You still have 10BB back and a double up will see you right back in it.

Nothing to be done about the AJ.

Good luck ... See you on a table I expect.
  • edited March 2011

Good run in the first hour this morning, 100% record over 5/6 games.....

Plain sailing for the most part, but had to suck out on 1 bubble in a cooler situation. So I expect they'll take that one back off me later.

3 hands....

Hand 1

This hand is just me being unsure really. I think it might be 1 of those where either a shove or a fold is ok. That happens alot in NLHE tournys too, I suspect this is as close to a marginal shoving spot as you will get in a dym?

Or is it an insta-shove?
    Or an easy fold?

Key note with this hand - the big blind is away.

It's not showing my stack, but I'm utg with about 2.2k, around 10xbb.
    Dollie Small blind  100.00 100.00 3090.00
    pmcginn67 Big blind  200.00 300.00 2310.00
      Your hole cards

DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    kes69 Fold     
    DEVIANTSD Fold     
    Dollie Raise  300.00 600.00 2790.00
    pmcginn67 Fold     
    Dollie Muck     
    Dollie Win  400.00  3190.00
    Dollie Return  200.00 0.00 3390.00
    Hand 2

Have a note that I'd seen this guy open the button at 15/30 with 8-5 suited, and c bet 2 streets with 2nd pair on a draw heavy board.

I think without that note, I can fold here quite easily, but I suspected he's abit of a plonker, so decided to make the re-shove, believing he could be opening with, and would stack off with, worse aces, and KQ, QJ, TQs maybe type hands.

Too loose?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancecasper20 Small blind  75.00 75.00 1005.00 4t9 Big blind  150.00 225.00 4091.25   Your hole cards A Q       akf1984 Raise  450.00 675.00 2498.75 CLUBCARDIA Fold     DOHHHHHHH All-in  1740.00 2415.00 0.00 casper20 Fold     4t9 Fold     akf1984 Call  1290.00 3705.00 1208.75

Hand 3

This is another re-shoving spot. If you didnn't like the first one (probably Hoggers) then you're gonna hate this one (definitely hoggers).

I can recall this guy being v aggressive in late position.

I had somewhere in the back of my mind that his open sizing is different with different types of hands, he min raises to induce, andn 3/4x's to steal.

This is by no means a solid read.....

However he had just taken a big hit to his comfortable stack, so I concluded he could be steam raising, and although I didn't think he was ever folding, I believed I was well ahead of his range.

Question - If I see he had TJo here, should I still re-ship??????

I've taken his name out, but shown the result, as you can see I made the right read on this occasion and held.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancetoro666 Small blind  100.00 100.00 1900.00 DOHHHHHHH Big blind  200.00 300.00 1715.00   Your hole cards A 9       docear13 Fold     LilDevil Fold     xxxRaise  600.00 900.00 762.50 toro666 Fold     DOHHHHHHH All-in  1715.00 2615.00 0.00 xxxAll-in  762.50 3377.50 0.00 DOHHHHHHH Unmatched bet  552.50 2825.00 552.50 DOHHHHHHH Show A 9    xxxShow 9 K    Flop    Q 10 5       Turn    A       River    8       DOHHHHHHH Win Pair of Aces 2825.00  3377.50
  • edited March 2011
    Re Weds AM 3 Hands:

Hand 1 - I think this is a more comfortable fold than what you have it down as. In my experience small pocket pairs do not play that well from early position for that many big blinds. Look for later position or fewer BBs. I know the BB is away and it looks fairly tight behind you but I still think it's a fold. Note that if the BB looks like he's away for the duration, you are now effectively on the bubble and should play accordingly. I've noticed so many opponents fail to recognise this in the past it's untrue.

Hand 2 - I think this is an absolutely fine re-ship against a player you consider could well be opening wide. With your stack you're loving it when this guy opens as you would much rather be re-shipping than opening here. As an aside, alot of players opening ranges will change as the levels progress so for this reason when I note down a specific tendancy I always include the level number (and often their remaining stack). I'm sure you already have the same thing in place so just adjust your notes now (I'm guessing he showed up with a hand this time?).

Hand 3 - Although you have zero fold equity, again I think this is a fine re-ship. You're comfortably ahead of his range at a time when you do need to accumulate chips. For this reason I would also (begrudgingly) call if I knew he had J-10o. Bear in mind if he is steaming he's also going to have the option to shove the next two hands before you act so I think this spot is as good as it gets and you cannot really afford to pass it up.  

JC
  • edited March 2011
    Hand 4

This was probably the most eventful dym I've played yet.

I made a complete h/ash of this, I thought it was the bubble. So I folded my hand......hoping the bb wud stack off and it be game over, and even if he folds, he's struggling.

It wasn't the bubble, but would my fold still be okay with my stack sizes and looking at the guy who's already shoved?

Or is folding too tight?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDOHHHHHHH Small blind  150.00 150.00 3610.00 kes69 Big blind  300.00 450.00 1090.00   Your hole cards 9 9       theniv Fold     18AND5TIME All-in  2025.00 2475.00 0.00 moses123 Fold     DOHHHHHHH Fold     kes69 Fold     18AND5TIME Muck     18AND5TIME Win  750.00  750.00 18AND5TIME Return  1725.00 0.00 2475.00

I jammed the very next hand from UTG +1, with AJo when I realised we weren't on the bubble, and the big blind did what I would consider a slow roll before calling me with Queens.

He typed AA/KK? in the chatbox, but hes obv a successful dym player, he was obv genuinely thinking about folding, fair enough.

That killed me, I tilt shoved 4 hands in a row and turned 1.2k into 3.1k, and was safe on the bubble, when this happened....

Explain the fold here by the big blind please...............

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDOHHHHHHH Small blind  400.00 400.00 3740.00 kes69 Big blind  800.00 1200.00 2560.00   Your hole cards 6 Q       theniv Fold     18AND5TIME All-in  1090.00 2290.00 0.00 DOHHHHHHH Fold     kes69 Fold     18AND5TIME Muck     18AND5TIME Win  2000.00  2000.00 18AND5TIME Return  290.00 0.00 2290.00
    290 more?????

FFS !

• edited March 2011

Thanx JC, appreciate ur input - and everyone else on the thread. 

Some replies could be influenced by results I guess, so I left his hand out of hand 2 - he had pocket 2's!...

I won the flip. 
  • edited March 2011

Ok hand 4 looks relatively simple to me, although I think you have confused the issue somewhat (no offence intended obv it's just that I'm a little confused.)

First you mistakenly thought it's the bubble. Fair enough, easy done. The fold is fine when you think you're on the bubble but I also think this is a fine fold regardless. I think the shover has enough chips to make you want to fold this comfortably. You're prob getting fed up of hearing this but you would much rather get your chips in first. With the stack you have you're extremely comfortable and can surely wait for spots to do this. On top of everything, against this shover you are in terrible shape here.

Then the next bit is what confuses me more than anything. (First of all I assume you mean 2 hands later not the next hand and that 18 was in the blinds?). I don't understand why you open jammed AJ for 3610 chips with the BB at 300 because you realised it wasn't the bubble. It's like all of a sudden you're in some great rush. Now, if you open jammed because everyone else had, say, 8BBs or less, then perhaps it's a sound move (I doubt it though to be absolutley honest). I sense that you may have underestimated your own stack here. Rather than 12 BBs, you should see 3610 chips as absolutely plenty at this stage. I would prefer to open to 750 and obv call the shortstack's shove, revaluate anyone else's (fold the vast majority of the time.) I think you get the same result by raising to 750 as you do by shoving. If you get called by 18 here, your dead (I would say QQ is the bottom of his calling range here.)

Regarding slow-rolling it's just plainly not. Like you said, the guy is a very solid DYM player and as I said QQ is the bottom of his calling range here. This was a very real decision for him. He was also comfortable on 2475.

The fold by the BB at the end is rediculous to be fair. Could have been a mis-click or something.

JC

• edited March 2011
    I'd be snapping it off with QQ there in his position, maybe I really am playing too loose.

Anyway, the AJ shove....

Yeh it must have been 2 hands later, 18 was the BB........When I shoved it wasn't because I realised it wasn't the bubble, more that I realised it was game on again, and there was still work to be done....

So I went back to playing "normally"........I would normally shove AJs in that situation, if I'm raise/calling off, I'm sacrificing fold equity - and as you said 18 struggles to call with QQ there, so the amount of times he's getting involved is almost never. Surely his calling range is narrower than his re-shoving range??.......He could fold AK here for example, whereas he wud prob shove it if I opened 2.2x.....

---------------------------------

Do you ever raise to induce? - 5 handed, at 100/200, and you have 2k on the button with JJ and then AKs in the very same position the following orbit.

I just jam........I think maybe I'm missing a trick.

7/7 today neway :D
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Dym thread - 3 hands added, Weds am.....:
    I'd be snapping it off with QQ there in his position, maybe I really am playing too loose. Anyway, the AJ shove.... Yeh it must have been 2 hands later, 18 was the BB........When I shoved it wasn't because I realised it wasn't the bubble, more that I realised it was game on again, and there was still work to be done.... So I went back to playing "normally"........I would normally shove AJs in that situation, if I'm raise/calling off, I'm sacrificing fold equity - and as you said 18 struggles to call with QQ there, so the amount of times he's getting involved is almost never.1) Surely shoving makes his calling range narrower than his re-shoving range? --------------------------------- 2) Do you ever raise to induce? - 5 handed, at 100/200, and you have 2k on the button with JJ and then AKs in the very same position the following orbit. I just jam........I think maybe I'm missing a trick. 7/7 today neway :D
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    1) I agree with this completely although a player like 18 may be an exception. I think the calling range would be QQ+/AK. I think the only difference in his reshoving range is that AQ may be added although I'm not at all sure about this to be honest.

2) This is an excellent question and I do believe a lot of money hinges on it. Having done both in the past I now never raise to induce a shove with these hands I just shove. I think it's better to let your oppenents make a mistake rather than risk making one yourself.

• edited March 2011
    Afew things come to mind about dym strategy that i will say now in the hope that some of it is of use.

The key to cashing in dyms is survival not winning.Using the early levels to accumulate chips without risking your stack too much trying to get to the magic number.

The magic number is 3000.This is the average stack size when on the bubble.So if you are near to or above this figure then you will be sat nicely to get your cash.

When approaching the bubble try to avoid clashing with the big stacks and use this time to attack the middle size stacks as they are the most likely to fold easily.

When raising into someone later on make sure you take into mind their stack size to see if they will feel committed to the pot regardless of their cards.
  • edited March 2011
    Nice one Talon, maybe I should start a new thread for general DYM discussion/questions.....

And leave this one for specific hands?

Im the one that's asking for help, so what would be easier for you guys to follow?????

I particuarly wanna ask about this point of a "magic number" .......I'll wait and see what people say, and pick up on it in the meantime......

But for now I have a couple of hands against the same player......A bad one.....

Hand 1

I have notes that this guy is bad.

Played him in another game today, and he min raised the button un-opened with J7o, at 15/30, didnt c bet the flop, then stabbed at it on the turn.

Bit of a strange situation, I'm 20xbb deep, but I don't really want to 3 bet/call......(I'm never 3b folding).  I don't really wanna call and see a flop either.

Is a fold too tight?

The HH shows what I did, I just jammed it all in.........

Thoughts?
    18AND5TIME Small blind  50.00 50.00 1153.75
    darryl1976 Big blind  100.00 150.00 2478.75
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

MASEACE Raise  200.00 350.00 2357.50
    gixxerk4 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH All-in  2155.00 2505.00 0.00
    Hand 2

Ugh this one just makes me feel sick when I look back at it.

Same villain. I've flopped quite well from the bb, and bet it.....

If I check fold this spot is it too tight????

There's hardly any flop/turn play in these, so when I get in a spot like this I'm pretty clueless.

In cash/normal MTT - it's going in, im leading and snap calling it off, with the eq I have in the hand.

So...

Check fold?
    Check call?
    Bet fold?
    Bet call?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDOHHHHHHH Big blind  200.00 200.00 1930.00   Your hole cards 7 8       pieman6623 Fold     18AND5TIME Fold     darryl1976 Call  200.00 400.00 2603.75 MASEACE Call  200.00 600.00 2132.50 DOHHHHHHH Check     Flop    4 5 8       DOHHHHHHH Bet  450.00 1050.00 1480.00 darryl1976 Fold     MASEACE Raise  900.00 1950.00 1232.50 DOHHHHHHH
    Thanx :)

• edited March 2011

Re 5 PM hands:

The first one is pretty horrible like you say and I think what you've done is fine against a player you believe to be considerably weak. I'm guessing you don't trust him to lay down his marginal hands to a 3 bet and I think I make the same play as you. Against other players, I think there is room to 3 bet/fold here.

The second hand I like the way you've played it, that flop figures to have hit you way harder than anyone else. Perhaps you could bet half the pot here I don't know, I'm usually a 3/4 man myself but half looks ok for this spot. Got to lay it down to the min raise I'm afraid mate in my opinion. Regarding your other options, you can't call it off I don't think, I hate check/folding this flop when it's so obviously all yours so the only other option for me is check/calling but I think you end up doing more chips with the worse hand here.

JC

• edited March 2011

Hand 1- snap folding the 66.

Hand 2- I like your reshove with AQ vs this villain, way ahead of his range.

Hand 3- not so keen on this one as A9 is in danger of being out kicked. But again you have a solid read so why not

• edited March 2011
    Hand 4, i am snap folding this 99 anyway due to the person shoving (18and5time) and the bb's small ish stack.

I am very interested in JC's comments about not shoving with AJ because I am comfortable with this shove. maybe this is where i need to develop my game.

• edited March 2011
    Re 5pm hands

Hand 1. Im happy to fold the AQ preflop with the blinds at that level. I may instead flat his min raise. Im happy to have position on the OR with a fairly strong hand that could flop well. If ive had a few ciders im reshipping it like you tho lol.

Hand 2. I prob dont let it go to the flop tbh. I am squeezing it preflop jamming the lot! The stacks are nice for this imo. pick up the dead money. This may surprise you, but with my image i can get this through enough times to make it profitable i think.
    as played you gotta let it go on the flop.
  • edited March 2011

How about this one?

On the bubble......

Should I hang my head in shame at being a total nit? Or is this a standard fold?
    CHILLIE Small blind  150.00 150.00 1690.00
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  300.00 450.00 5000.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

bluetoffee All-in  2430.00 2880.00 0.00
    ShaneReyAA Fold     
    CHILLIE Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    bluetoffee Muck     
    bluetoffee Win  750.00  750.00
    bluetoffee Return  2130.00 0.00 2880.00
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Dym thread - 3 hands added, Weds am / 2 more weds 5pm....:
    How about this one? On the bubble...... Should I hang my head in shame at being a total nit? Or is this a standard fold? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance CHILLIE Small blind   150.00 150.00 1690.00 DOHHHHHHH Big blind   300.00 450.00 5000.00   Your hole cards A Q       bluetoffee All-in   2430.00 2880.00 0.00 ShaneReyAA Fold         CHILLIE Fold         DOHHHHHHH Fold         bluetoffee Muck         bluetoffee Win   750.00   750.00 bluetoffee Return   2130.00 0.00 2880.00
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think this is a fine fold mate.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Dym thread - 3 hands added, Weds am / 2 more weds 5pm....:
    How about this one? On the bubble...... Should I hang my head in shame at being a total nit? Or is this a standard fold? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance CHILLIE Small blind   150.00 150.00 1690.00 DOHHHHHHH Big blind   300.00 450.00 5000.00   Your hole cards A Q       bluetoffee All-in   2430.00 2880.00 0.00 ShaneReyAA Fold         CHILLIE Fold         DOHHHHHHH Fold         bluetoffee Muck         bluetoffee Win   750.00   750.00 bluetoffee Return   2130.00 0.00 2880.00
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Snap fold, your virtually safe

you want the other stacks (all similar) to clash

• edited March 2011
    Dohh ma man !!!

Can you try & post some hands with difficult decisions lol.

Q. Why do you need advice, you cash in every flippin game you play ??

:)))
  • edited March 2011
    lol! goody, seriously???????

In most of these spots, I've been scratching my head thinking WTF!!!!

They're all alien to me, several times I've been going to snap a bet off and had to think twice.....

I'm seriously taking all advice on board, it's a pretty basic strategy to implement once you understand it, unlike cash (which is sooooooo player dependant and complicated) - I'm just trying to grasp it......

I wouldn't post em if I didn't need help.......

And I deffo wudn't post em if I cashed in every game ;)
  • edited March 2011
    K, try this one.

River is a snap fold obv.

What do u make of my play up to the turn, and shud I raise the turn?

I probably hero call the river in cash expecting him to have turned a black Ace into a bluff, then call myself a d*k ed n down a tin....
    DES99 Small blind  25.00 25.00 1665.00
    kes69 Big blind  50.00 75.00 2535.00
      Your hole cards

DOHHHHHHH Call  50.00 125.00 1830.00
    osama4pres Fold     
    madtim Fold     
    saasen Raise  100.00 225.00 1935.00
    DES99 Fold     
    kes69 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Call  50.00 275.00 1780.00
    Flop