You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In The Well, #1. Wacko 90.

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat

I have explained what "In The Well" is HERE

Our first ITW is Wacko90.

He's a young player - scarily young - who has transformed his game from out & out serial loser, to one of the most formidable MTT'ers on Sky Poker.

Famous for raising 8 times every orbit, & 9 times on Sundays, Wacko hails from Brough, but is currently studying something obscure at Northampton University, I believe. 

I have spoken to Wacker, & he's agreed to be our first ITW.

We do not pay any fee to ITW's, but we'll ship him a TSP Classic Entry or something similar when he's finished his ITW tenure. It might last 2 days, it might last a week. It might not even last an hour, if not, blame me.

OK, let's batter him with questions, & see how he does.

Comments

• edited March 2011

Hi Dave,

Could you tell us how much you started your BR with and how much you are up overall so far on Sky? I think your rise through the MTT's has been an inspiration to us all and I do respect your game (but not your shoves on me, obv!). If you do not wish to state specific amounts, no problem, but give some ball park figures or %'s if you wish.
    One more thing.....you got any piccys of the g/f? :))

Cheers,

Alan
  • edited March 2011
    Get in there great choice Tikay. I was observing a FT you both played last week whilst Wacko was also on another FT at the same time. All of the time I was thinking, "what is this guy's secret?". So that's my question. Tikay is always saying how your game has improved, so what have you done?
  • edited March 2011

When did you realise that being serial aggro was the way forward for you?

Were you always like that?
  • edited March 2011
    +1 to pics of the missus.

How serious are you about playing cash poker?

Why do you always buy inn short? - Have you studied the short stacking strategy?
  • edited March 2011

Girlfriend's name?

Plans to marry, where, when, ideal honeymoon venue?
  • edited March 2011

Do you consume alcohol whilst playing?
  • edited March 2011

Why call yourself "Wacko90"?
  • edited March 2011

What computer set up do you use to play on Sky Poker?

How many Tables you play at a time?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90.:
    Get in there great choice Tikay. I was observing a FT you both played last week whilst Wacko was also on another FT at the same time. All of the time I was thinking, "what is this guy's secret?". So that's my question. Tikay is always saying how your game has improved, so what have you done?
    Posted by JohnConnor

+1  Great Question John.  Really can't wait to read the answer 

• edited March 2011
    Hi Wacko90 and good luck with your dip into the murky waters of Tikay's well!!!!!!

A few nice easy questions for you to start with

1. Why did you choose that poker alias??

2. do you prefer playing MTTs, SNGs or cash and at what levels??

3. How many years younger than tikay are you??

4. Will you be at SPT Leeds?? If so, introduce yourself to the TKP

5. University???? Is it just to pass time or a genuine course?? Why do all you studebnts trash Trafalgar Square???

6. What do you put your recent improvement and great results down to??

good luck with the Q&A, pity i wont be around for 3 weeks after today

• edited March 2011
    Posted by JohnConnor
    That'd be the one he absolutely owned me Heads-Up, yeah? Marv.
  • edited March 2011
    What is your stance on man bags in the 21st century?

Which other players on Sky do you respect the most in terms of their standard of play?

If you could point out one common leak in most MTT players, what would it be?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : That'd be the one he absolutely owned me Heads-Up, yeah? Marv.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lol, sorry mate :S
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Dave, Could you tell us how much you started your BR with and how much you are up  overall  so far on Sky? I think your rise through the MTT's has been an inspiration to us all and I do respect your game (but not your shoves on me, obv!). If you do not wish to state specific amounts, no problem, but give some ball park figures or %'s if you wish. One more thing.....you got any piccys of the g/f? :)) Cheers, Alan
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Alan,

Do you mean whn i first started playing poker? If that's the case then i didnt have one! I just deposited when i needed it, however, i quickly realised that this wasnt the way to go about it so worked on smaller tournies and improved. Now, i generally keep £300 always in, obviously because im an mtt player maninly i dont need as much!

My overall mtt profit on sky is currently $12,670 (not sure how much that is in pounds)

And to your second question.... No comment. ;)
  • edited March 2011

I LOVE Plopper's questions - he's got the idea perfectly. Almost.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Alan, Do you mean whn i first started playing poker? If that's the case then i didnt have one! I just deposited when i needed it, however, i quickly realised that this wasnt the way to go about it so worked on smaller tournies and improved. Now, i generally keep £300 always in, obviously because im an mtt player maninly i dont need as much! My overall mtt profit on sky is currently $12,670 (not sure how much that is in pounds) And to your second question.... No comment. ;)
    Posted by Wacko90
    If you are checking this info on S/scope, you can change the preferences in options to give you GBP pounds.

Would you like to buy some of me??   £6k normal £12k risky ones :))

Cheers for your answers.

• edited March 2011
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Hi John.

Okay so this could be a long one. When i first started playing for real money i guess i came in with the attitude that id just win. So naturally i lost some money so decided to really try and work at my game. At first i wasn't so aggressive, pretty passive, tried the odd bluff etc. Now the change in my game came when i started playing the 2.20 @2.20 deepstack. 

I started to "experiment". So i played one tourney very tight and then played the next one very aggressive, so i found out which style of play i was suited too and which styles of play were most effective. So i began to bluff, i began to get reads on players, i found out how much power there was in the raise, i realised how essential the bluff was. 

Then came the stage where i maybe got too aggressive, so i worked hard on raising in position, but mostly on trying to read players and read the boards so i wasn't bluffing on a board where an opponent had obviously hit! I also narrowed my starting hand range, and the position in which i raise.

So to answer you question. I basically experimented with my game, i felt that it was important to play my own game and not be influenced by others. I played alot more aggressively, picking up a lot of uncontested pots. I now have good reads on alot of players, if i bluff, i tell a story, iv also learnt how to use my loose image as a way to get more chips. So overbetting some pots with strong hands for example. I learnt about position and how important late position is. But most of all, i feel as if im able to capitalize on situations where a player is weak, therefore i can pick up easy chips. Raising into any pot gives you control. 

There is no secret. Just alot of thinking, and alot of playing. One thing i will say, the best way to learn, is to lose. That's how i did it, as long as you LEARN from your losses, you cant go wrong.

• edited March 2011
    Hi mate,

What would you say has turned you from "serial looser" to formidable MTTer?
    Is there one major factor? Is it a number of things?
    What would be your one piece of advice to someone who wants to go on a similar poker journey and end up in TK's glorious well?

Regards
    Dan
  • edited March 2011
    When did you realise that being serial aggro was the way forward for you? Were you always like that?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay

I found out early on that playing passively wasn't how i wanted to play. Unless i was playing 5 or 6 tables i wouldn't be able to do it. Also I felt that passive players could only go so far in the game, playing aggressive could take you much higher or much lower depending on how you used it.
  • edited March 2011
    Hi mate, What would you say has turned you from "serial looser" to formidable MTTer? Is there one major factor? Is it a number of things? What would be your one piece of advice to someone who wants to go on a similar poker journey and end up in TK's glorious well? Regards Dan
    Posted by djgrevo
    It won't just be "good", or "winning" players ITW, it'll be losers, & bad players, too. I have got Blandy on my ITW List. 
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : It won't just be "good", or "winning" players ITW, it'll be losers, & bad players, too. I have got Blandy on my ITW List.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not so sure I like the 'Blandy' part being so close to 'the losers' here, Kendall ;) 
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Alan, Do you mean whn i first started playing poker? If that's the case then i didnt have one! I just deposited when i needed it, however, i quickly realised that this wasnt the way to go about it so worked on smaller tournies and improved. Now, i generally keep £300 always in, obviously because im an mtt player maninly i dont need as much! My overall mtt profit on sky is currently $12,670 (not sure how much that is in pounds) And to your second question.... No comment. ;)
    Posted by Wacko90
    Pics of your boyfriend?? :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Hi John. Okay so this could be a long one. When i first started playing for real money i guess i came in with the attitude that id just win. So naturally i lost some money so decided to really try and work at my game. At first i wasn't so aggressive, pretty passive, tried the odd bluff etc. Now the change in my game came when i started playing the 2.20 @2.20 deepstack.  I started to "experiment". So i played one tourney very tight and then played the next one very aggressive, so i found out which style of play i was suited too and which styles of play were most effective. So i began to bluff, i began to get reads on players, i found out how much power there was in the raise, i realised how essential the bluff was.  Then came the stage where i maybe got too aggressive, so i worked hard on raising in position, but mostly on trying to read players and read the boards so i wasn't bluffing on a board where an opponent had obviously hit! I also narrowed my starting hand range, and the position in which i raise. So to answer you question. I basically experimented with my game, i felt that it was important to play my own game and not be influenced by others. I played alot more aggressively, picking up a lot of uncontested pots. I now have good reads on alot of players, if i bluff, i tell a story, iv also learnt how to use my loose image as a way to get more chips. So overbetting some pots with strong hands for example. I learnt about position and how important late position is. But most of all, i feel as if im able to capitalize on situations where a player is weak, therefore i can pick up easy chips. Raising into any pot gives you control.  There is no secret. Just alot of thinking, and alot of playing. One thing i will say, the best way to learn, is to lose. That's how i did it, as long as you LEARN from your losses, you cant go wrong.
    Posted by Wacko90
    Great answer mate, really appreciate the effort, cheers. JC
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. :  ....., i began to get reads on players....... . I now have good reads on alot of players
    Posted by Wacko90

Hi Wacko,  This is an area of the game that I find the most interesting.  Can I ask you.. do you keep notes on the players.  Is it simply that you classify them as e.g. TAG, LAG etc. or do you look into more detail

Cheers

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Hi Wacko,  This is an area of the game that I find the most interesting.  Can I ask you.. do you keep notes on the players.  Is it simply that you classify them as e.g. TAG, LAG etc. or do you look into more detail Cheers  
    Posted by Mod_JockBM
    I put notes on players in the same catogory as my ex-girlfriends - Easy - Loose - Tight - Steer Clear - Aggro

What works for you?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : I put notes on players in the same catogory as my ex-girlfriends - Easy - Loose - Tight - Steer Clear - Aggro What works for you?
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Sorry Trev, this just confuses me more now............as EVERY woman i know can be categorized under all 5 within 10 minutes!!!! :(
  • edited March 2011
    Do you bluff a bluffee?? ;)

nice thread this wacko interesting stuff keep up the good work
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Wacko, A few questions for you.

Apart from poker, do you gamble ? Like bet on the horses, or play the fruit machine in your local ? Or do you only invest your money where you have control of the outcome ,like poker ?

Do you actually compute odds when faced with a tough decision, or just trust your experience and instinct to come up with the answer ?

When you get to the last 12 in a tournament, do you watch the other table ?

• edited March 2011
    Great thread and very interesting....
    Do you multi table in mtts?
    Do you have the tv on, people chatting to you etc while your playing? or is 100% concentration on every hand?

Whats best.. PS3 or Xbox?

• edited March 2011
    Great thread and very interesting.... Do you multi table in mtts? Do you have the tv on, people chatting to you etc while your playing? or is 100% concentration on every hand? Whats best.. PS3 or Xbox?
    Posted by GoodReads

DUDE  Dont waste the guys time with silly questions........  PS3 ALL THE WAY ;o)