You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In The Well, #1. Wacko 90.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Hi Wacko

Its been a while since our heads up sng duels, seems like you have built quite a roll with your primo sucesses! I must say one thing that struck me allbeit from online chat was your maturity given your a whipper snapper!

My question to you is what is your favourite poker variant, MTT, STT or cash. Or do you like to mix it up to keep the boredom factor at bay.

Its seems as though Tikay has taken you under his wing which from a bankroll perspective is really good to see. We all see how the best players go bust and no doubt you will listen to what the great man has to say.

Keep up the good work.

PS Hull City where always doomed when tango man tried karoake last game of the season a few years back. Come on you gunners !
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90.:
    Hi Wacko Its been a while since our heads up sng duels, seems like you have built quite a roll with your primo sucesses! I must say one thing that struck me allbeit from online chat was your maturity given your a whipper snapper! My question to you is what is your favourite poker variant, MTT, STT or cash. Or do you like to mix it up to keep the boredom factor at bay. Its seems as though Tikay has taken you under his wing which from a bankroll perspective is really good to see. We all see how the best players go bust and no doubt you will listen to what the great man has to say. Keep up the good work. PS Hull City where always doomed when tango man tried karoake last game of the season a few years back. Come on you gunners !
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    In fact, the total opposite! I'd die to have Wacko's game, but I'm too old to change, & so I just do my thing, & I though I don't lose any money, I don't make much, either.

The only advice I've ever given Wacko was to balance his Raising a little bit. I get by in poker solely due to serial-raisers, especially in Live Poker, where I can succesfully re-pop with air every few orbits whilst waiting for Kings or Aces.

He probably ignored me, & he was probably right to, too.

It's a young man's game.

I do have a tremendous regard for Wacko's potential, though, & have no need to be coy or shy about it.

In fact, here's something you can shoot me down with one day.

As to "emerging young talent", here's my three to watch.

Wacko

Hursty

Jamielou.

Now I'll get mullered for saying they are my "friend", or faves, but hey-ho, it is what it says on the tin - I'm immensely proud that all three make Sky Poker their main poker home. They are all very fine prospects indeed, mark my words.

So are plenty of others, of course...... 

• edited March 2011
    I've tried to post this like ten times...here we go again...

My questions:

Obv it seems to be all aggro aggro aggro, raise raise raise. But I've seen you float a couple of times out of position in weird spots (no draws) and then check it down once you hit a pair. I'd like to know what kind of situations you look to float in and is it purely to set up big plays on later streets? Would you have bluffed had you not hit your card(s)?

Also, what does your girlfriend think about you playing poker? Is she supportive? Does she complain at all? Do you take her to Nandos when you win a decent tourney? Is it weird that she likes you more after you won some monies? :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : In fact, the total opposite! I'd die to have Wacko's game, but I'm too old to change, & so I just do my thing, & I though I don't lose any money, I don't make much, either. The only advice I've ever given Wacko was to balance his Raising a little bit. I get by in poker solely due to serial-raisers, especially in Live Poker, where I can succesfully re-pop with air every few orbits whilst waiting for Kings or Aces. He probably ignored me, & he was probably right to, too. It's a young man's game. I do have a tremendous regard for Wacko's potential, though, & have no need to be coy or shy about it. In fact, here's something you can shoot me down with one day.   As to "emerging young talent", here's my three to watch. Wacko Hursty Jamielou. Now I'll get mullered for saying they are my "friend", or faves, but hey-ho, it is what it says on the tin - I'm immensely proud that all three make Sky Poker their main poker home. They are all very fine prospects indeed, mark my words. So are plenty of others, of course......   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay,

Even I'm not going to muller you for these 3 picks.
  • edited March 2011
    What an absolutely fantastic thread,every post has had great Q's and A's and he (wacko) is quiet clearly gonna go far in poker with his ability.

Right then my question is how long on average do you spend playing poker each week? xx
  • edited March 2011
    hi wacko

Intresting stuff, keep up the good work!!!

A few questions for you.

How many major mtts have you won on sky poker?

When you first started playing did you lose much?

Has varience affected your game at all?

regards......karl......19juvenile

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : In fact, the total opposite! I'd die to have Wacko's game, but I'm too old to change, & so I just do my thing, & I though I don't lose any money, I don't make much, either. The only advice I've ever given Wacko was to balance his Raising a little bit. I get by in poker solely due to serial-raisers, especially in Live Poker, where I can succesfully re-pop with air every few orbits whilst waiting for Kings or Aces. He probably ignored me, & he was probably right to, too. It's a young man's game. I do have a tremendous regard for Wacko's potential, though, & have no need to be coy or shy about it. In fact, here's something you can shoot me down with one day.   As to "emerging young talent", here's my three to watch. Wacko Hursty Jamielou. Now I'll get mullered for saying they are my "friend", or faves, but hey-ho, it is what it says on the tin - I'm immensely proud that all three make Sky Poker their main poker home. They are all very fine prospects indeed, mark my words. So are plenty of others, of course......   
    Posted by Tikay10
    When I said mentor I meant from a bankroll perspective as much as anything else. Im 42 been playing for 7 years now, it took 6 years to find my niche game (racking up losses along the way!) and realise that I could play this game.

I hear a lot of people say its a young mans game, but for me its because they dont have the pressures of a mortgage, wife kids etc. Therefore, they can play without fear. It doesnt mean that older people who have a  grasp of the fundamentals of poker, the ability to read your opponent and understand the maths of the game cannot succeed.

Unless you are 105 of course, sorry tikay!

• edited March 2011
    il catch up with all the Q's a little later guys :)
  • edited March 2011
    Hi mate,

Some great questions, 5 pages of them is a lil much for me to catch up on in one go, so appoligies if this has been asked, i think i read to bottom of page 3 will do 4 and 5 in a while.

I know you fully respect your routes in the low stake mtts, and i also know you do play these still as and when you can.

In a tournament like the 2.20 deepie, are their players who you feel could follow you up the levels to stardom and profits? And also what advice would you give them for moving up the MTT ladder and when should they start to move up the chain?
  • edited March 2011
    Posted by Tikay10

Pardon? Does this warrant one of those man-bag slaps?
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Wacko Its been a while since our heads up sng duels, seems like you have built quite a roll with your primo sucesses! I must say one thing that struck me allbeit from online chat was your maturity given your a whipper snapper! My question to you is what is your favourite poker variant, MTT, STT or cash. Or do you like to mix it up to keep the boredom factor at bay. Its seems as though Tikay has taken you under his wing which from a bankroll perspective is really good to see. We all see how the best players go bust and no doubt you will listen to what the great man has to say. Keep up the good work. PS Hull City where always doomed when tango man tried karoake last game of the season a few years back. Come on you gunners !
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Hi ace!

I do play all forms of the game, not alot of cash though. MTT's are my favourite, and i make a nice profit on them! I do love my sng's too though as you know, geneally HU if i do play, DYM's are just too boring for me! Ahhhh tikay has advised me yes ;) lol and hull were always doomed with him haha ;)
  • edited March 2011
    I've tried to post this like ten times...here we go again... My questions: Obv it seems to be all aggro aggro aggro, raise raise raise. But I've seen you float a couple of times out of position in weird spots (no draws) and then check it down once you hit a pair. I'd like to know what kind of situations you look to float in and is it purely to set up big plays on later streets? Would you have bluffed had you not hit your card(s)? Also, what does your girlfriend think about you playing poker? Is she supportive? Does she complain at all? Do you take her to Nandos when you win a decent tourney? Is it weird that she likes you more after you won some monies? :)
    Posted by pryce6
    It depends. If iv just joined a table il often float, just to see how other players react. Also, if i have a monster on an aggessive table then il limp and hope for a raise. Sometimes its just to see a cheap flop ;) Oh and my gf has just joined the site so she will answer you herself ;)
  • edited March 2011

Semi pro cricketer????

Who do you play for? - Who was your Junior team? 

Do you bat/bowl or both?

Have you ever hit 6 6's in an over like me Herchelle Gibbs and Sir Viv Richards? ;) 

Why is Trott batting at 3 for England in ODI's?

Are you the only person in the world that agrees with me, that he should retire from limited overs cricket?
  • edited March 2011
    What an absolutely fantastic thread,every post has had great Q's and A's and he (wacko) is quiet clearly gonna go far in poker with his ability. Right then my question is how long on average do you spend playing poker each week? xx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Hi debs,

If your going to go by hours its hard to say as it will depend some nights, on how long im going to last in the tourney! But on average id say about 30 hours a week. ish. 
  • edited March 2011
    hi wacko Intresting stuff, keep up the good work!!! A few questions for you. How many major mtts have you won on sky poker? When you first started playing did you lose much? Has varience affected your game at all? regards......karl......19juvenile
    Posted by 19juvenile

Hi,
    It depends on what you class as an major mtt?! If your going by 8pm mains that would be 2! (both primo) Iv had 2nd in the wednesday main and a 3rd in the friday rebuy main a few weeks back :)

I wouldnt say i lost alot when i first started, i was only playing small mtt's. Lets just say i never lost more than i could afford! At one point i was a few hundred pound down, then i turned it around.

Variance affects everyones game, though more so when i first played. I think now it affects me less, purely because of my decision making. So im now able to get off the sort of hands that i would of gone bust on before. Variance definitly affects me and there are times when i can go quite a while not cashng, but there are ways in which you can limit the effect variance has so this is what youve got to try and do!
  • edited March 2011

Hi Wacko, good thread this!

When you first won Primo, did you buy in direct or satellite in?

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Hi Tommy, thanks mate :) 1) I dont agree with people when they say you should sit tight at the start of a tourney because often being aggressive will pick you up more chips! So why not do it? For me its almost totally dependant on the players, i generally ask the questions myself by being aggro, or just let someone else on the table do it if im card dead. I also target a player on the table that i feel will be easiest to get chips off. Once youve got a weak player identified its easy to bet 2 or 3 streets and get them off it really is. Now obvs if i get raised when i bluff constantly, or theyre all calling stations then i sit tight and wait for my hands, it really just depends. One of the most important things i think you should do is, PLAY THE PLAYER, not the cards. You dont need good cards to win a hand, just tell a story and youl get it through. 2) Hull City :S 3) Definitly one horse sized duck! One opponent, and its a duck!
    Posted by Wacko90
    Good replies.  Please allow me to retort.

1)  Good thought process.  Keep the heat up for as long as you can.  I like it.  I still think there is an argument for sitting tight in the very early going just because you are generally up against random players and barrelling into the unknown can lead to headaches.  I can see both sides of the argument though.

2)  Hull City.  You could not be more neutral, who's your main rival?  The only thing I know about the fans is some get a little shirty if you just call them Hull.  'That's the rugby team you southern pansy!' is what they say, I imagine.

3)  But it's the size of a horse.  And it's a duck!!!  It's beak could hold a boy band...
  • ybyb
    edited March 2011
    Semi pro cricketer???? Who do you play for? - Who was your Junior team?  Do you bat/bowl or both? Have you ever hit 6 6's in an over like me Herchelle Gibbs and Sir Viv Richards? ;)  Why is Trott batting at 3 for England in ODI's? Are you the only person in the world that agrees with me , that he should retire from limited overs cricket?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    and bring in who? With Morgan out injured there really isn't anyone else to bring in. Anyway, Collingwood's form is a lot more of a worry imo, at least Trott is scoring some runs (albeit without ever looking like scoring more than a run a ball).

I agree that Trott shouldn't have a long term future in ODI's though.
  • edited March 2011
    Am I correct in thinking that Trott has just equalled the record for being the fastest to score 1000 runs in ODIs ?

Perhaps we should be looking to build a batting lineup around him rather than Pietersen with all his technical flaws and mental frailty ?

• ybyb
    edited March 2011
    Am I correct in thinking that Trott has just equalled the record for being the fastest to score 1000 runs in ODIs ? Perhaps we should be looking to build a batting lineup around him rather than Pietersen with all his technical flaws and mental frailty ?
    Posted by penguin7
    Morgan, Strauus, Pietersen and Bell are all far better limited overs players imo. Trott doesn't have the ability to take a game away from a top quality attack, I think it would be a big mistake for England to keep him at number 3 in the longer term.
  • edited March 2011
    One thing........................why is Collingwood still in the 1 day team??

He sucks!
  • edited March 2011
    Hi mate, Some great questions, 5 pages of them is a lil much for me to catch up on in one go, so appoligies if this has been asked, i think i read to bottom of page 3 will do 4 and 5 in a while. I know you fully respect your routes in the low stake mtts, and i also know you do play these still as and when you can. In a tournament like the 2.20 deepie, are their players who you feel could follow you up the levels to stardom and profits? And also what advice would you give them for moving up the MTT ladder and when should they start to move up the chain?
    Posted by The_Don90

Hi Don! The £2.20 made me who I am! There are definitely players that can move up, and this is what I feel they need, and what they need to do.

Ability- This is essential. Example,- you can have 2 footballers, one has loads of talent and trains once a week ( is a very good player but has serious weaknesses that could be improved), the other is a less talented player who trains 5 times a week ( he has a more consistent game but will never be as good). So a natural ability is important, you’ve got to have instinct in certain situation.

Balls- You cant be scared of losing your money, so make sure your playing at a BR you comfortable with. Not just that though, you’ve got to be prepared to risk your tourney with poor cards, you’ve got to have the balls to fire 3 streets with nothing, if your sure you can get a player to fold.

Brains- Assessing the hand and your game. Making the right decision fast isn’t an easy thing. Not just this but you’ve got to assess your own game and realise what mistakes your making! Then have the mindset to improve on your game. Not easy.

There are players that can do this don but whether they have the ability to be great and whether they want to work at their game is a totally different thing! But its obviously possible. As to moving up, stick within a BR, id say at least 20 buy in level! :):)

• edited March 2011
    Semi pro cricketer???? Who do you play for? - Who was your Junior team?  Do you bat/bowl or both? Have you ever hit 6 6's in an over like me Herchelle Gibbs and Sir Viv Richards? ;)  Why is Trott batting at 3 for England in ODI's? Are you the only person in the world that agrees with me , that he should retire from limited overs cricket?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Doh i play for Hull 1st team in the Yorkshire League Have played for them since i was a kid! I bat! Used to bowl a bit but not anymore, bat at 3 or 4 usually! Hahahaha i wish! my best is 28 i think, but obvs not as good as you ;)
    And i agree and disagree with you, trott is definitly a test player, but then i can see why hes there, its a toughie. Collingwood shouldnt be in!
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Wacko, good thread this! When you first won Primo, did you buy in direct or satellite in?
    Posted by christiann
    Sattellited in for £12 pounds mate :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Hi Don! The £2.20 made me who I am! There are definitely players that can move up, and this is what I feel they need, and what they need to do. Ability- This is essential. Example,- you can have 2 footballers, one has loads of talent and trains once a week ( is a very good player but has serious weaknesses that could be improved), the other is a less talented player who trains 5 times a week ( he has a more consistent game but will never be as good). So a natural ability is important, you’ve got to have instinct in certain situation. Balls- You cant be scared of losing your money, so make sure your playing at a BR you comfortable with. Not just that though, you’ve got to be prepared to risk your tourney with poor cards, you’ve got to have the balls to fire 3 streets with nothing, if your sure you can get a player to fold. Brains- Assessing the hand and your game. Making the right decision fast isn’t an easy thing. Not just this but you’ve got to assess your own game and realise what mistakes your making! Then have the mindset to improve on your game. Not easy.   There are players that can do this don but whether they have the ability to be great and whether they want to work at their game is a totally different thing! But its obviously possible. As to moving up, stick within a BR, id say at least 20 buy in level! :):)
    Posted by Wacko90
    Ah thats where ive being going wrong, BRM yet again lol.

Thanks very good and constructive reply that will help all low stake players as well as myself.

P.S. Im deleting every note i ever wrote on you lol. Im sure it was useless anyways most of my notes are lol.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Ah thats where ive being going wrong, BRM yet again lol. Thanks very good and constructive reply that will help all low stake players as well as myself. P.S. Im deleting every note i ever wrote on you lol. Im sure it was useless anyways most of my notes are lol.
    Posted by The_Don90
    what were your notes don? :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Ah thats where ive being going wrong, BRM yet again lol. Thanks very good and constructive reply that will help all low stake players as well as myself. P.S. Im deleting every note i ever wrote on you lol. Im sure it was useless anyways most of my notes are lol.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Btw sorry it took me so long mate, i wrote a longer and better one that took over an hour then it got deleted ffs!
  • edited March 2011
    At one point i was a few hundred pound down, then i turned it around.

I know this feeling way too well lol

Glad to see you are making a huge success from MTT's although my question is not sure if its been asked when you hit a downswing is there any specific way you cope with it do you just do your thing and play through it or is there something you specifically do for a couple days or so to take your mind off the game then come back fresh ??

also nice to share a table with you on monday in one of the deepstacks

see you on the tables monday maybe in the forum dtd and hopefully in the bigger mtts someday soon when i can get rid of my downswing lol
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well, #1. Wacko 90. : Hi, It depends on what you class as an major mtt?! If your going by 8pm mains that would be 2! (both primo) Iv had 2nd in the wednesday main and a 3rd in the friday rebuy main a few weeks back :) I wouldnt say i lost alot when i first started, i was only playing small mtt's. Lets just say i never lost more than i could afford! At one point i was a few hundred pound down, then i turned it around. Variance affects everyones game, though more so when i first played. I think now it affects me less, purely because of my decision making. So im now able to get off the sort of hands that i would of gone bust on before. Variance definitly affects me and there are times when i can go quite a while not cashng, but there are ways in which you can limit the effect variance has so this is what youve got to try and do!
    Posted by Wacko90
    thanks for your reply buddy
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Wacko, some great questions and answers on here.

I see you're studying at Northampton Uni, so have you ever been to watch Northampton play?

And who do you think should be our new manager?