You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Coming up LIVE on Sky Poker TV this week

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat

"....Plus, he’s carved it up on the British scene having won the GUKPT...."

In fact, I think he won TWO GUKPT's. Proper luckbox, him.

Comments

• edited March 2011

Howdy pardners!

All this month my mission is to draw your attention to our rather splendid broadcasts on Chanel No.865.

Just to clarify for newbies (and oldies who are a bit slow) this is the regular schedule for the live shows...

Every Thursday 8pm-midnight

Every Saturday 9pm-1am

and every Sunday 9pm-1am

If you don’t have Sky and can’t watch Channel 865 on your TV then you can always watch the streaming video of the show live from the homepage of skypoker.com.

For info on the very latest shows coming this week- check the latest posts on this thread!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So....what’s on- Thursday March 3rd?

Well, the show will be concentrating on the 8pm Sky Sports £15K Bounty Hunter and your show pilot will be a certain film-geek. I can’t decide whether to show the coolest photo of him from the internet...

Or the most embarrassing one...

So I’ll think I’ll do both. That’s fair. Yes, it's James Hartigan.

And in the cock-pit, with the emphasis on the first part of that phrase, is a certain Tony Kendall Esq...

Every photo of Tikay is embarrassing so I’ll just pick one at random...

And they have a very special guest with them for the whole show....

One of Britain’s most successful poker players ever, Julian Thew.

Julian, known affectionately as Yoyo, because his chip stack often goes up and down dramatically during tournaments, has won over $2.5 million in his career so far, including the Baden Event of the European Poker Tour for just shy of a million dollars and in total NINE EPT cashes- making him 8th on the all-time money list.

Not only that, but he’s also carved it up on the British scene having won the GUKPT.

To watch the man in action heads-up in the biggest win of his career (with Mr. Hartigan on commentary duties) click here.

A cracking show in prospect then. How often do you get the chance to grill a top pro? Make sure you don’t waste this opportunity to get your questions in to Julian because, unlike the vast majority of players, this man has walked the walk.

So that’s Thursday 3rd March at 8pm.

Meantime, if you have any questions/comments about the next show, please post them below and I will endeavour to answer them...or find someone who can!

• edited March 2011
    Definitely worth posting a regular link to this well hidden gem on the forum too.

TV Listings
  • edited March 2011
    Fantastic guest to have in - Proper down to earth gent and great ambassador for British Poker!! 

Question for Julian - What was worse years back; exciting from a tournament because of a bad beat or knowing that you had to go back and share a room with Grandad Tikay? 
  • edited March 2011
    Why should you watch every Sky Poker TV show just now?

Because of the guests. From the TSPers to all the British pros you've had on of late they've all been brilliant and add a new freshness to the show. Only been playing for a year and have learnt so much from the the sky regular experts but to now have all the differing views of so many professional players makes Ch.865 a must see for anyone serious about poker IMHO. I've so much to learn but Ch865 strikes me as being at least as good as any videos to be found on-line just now.

Particularly looking forward to Channing. Can we have a moan-off between him and Hartigan please? ;-)

And Rich, you're a top-notch "presenter". ;-)

Gutted I missed the one with Ray Winstone. When did he start playing poker? And why were you all calling him Ian Fraser?

Good luck keeping this thread on GPC during the current competition btw.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Why should I watch the next Sky Poker TV show?:
    Why should you watch every Sky Poker TV show just now? Because of the guests. From the TSPers to all the British pros you've had on of late they've all been brilliant and add a new freshness to the show. Only been playing for a year and have learnt so much from the the sky regular experts but to now have all the differing views of so many professional players makes Ch.865 a must see for anyone serious about poker IMHO. I've so much to learn but Ch865 strikes me as being at least as good as any videos to be found on-line just now. Particularly looking forward to Channing. Can we have a moan-off between him and Hartigan please? ;-) And Rich, you're a top-notch "presenter". ;-) Gutted I missed the one with Ray Winstone. When did he start playing poker? And why were you all calling him Ian Fraser? Good luck keeping this thread on GPC during the current competition btw.
    Posted by bandini
    Indeed Andrew. Threads are dropping off the front page faster than a recently evicted Big Brother contestant.

But it's a good thing, because there's some quality posting going on now and the forum's got it's mojo back :)

So Gawd bless her and all who sail in her.

And yes, I too think the addition of a proper poker guest on the shows has really given it an extra dimension these past few weeks and whilst in the past, some more advanced (some might say moany) players would have dismissed us as Fisher Price's My First Poker Show- nobody could accuse of us that now. 

As well as Thewy, we also have Neil Channing and James Dempsey appearing this month. Along with the likes of Sam Trickett who we've already had on the show, Nick Persuad and John Tabatabai, you'd be hard pushed to come up with better names in British poker who've been there, done that and bought the T-Shirt. Sam Trickett in particular is generally regarded across the world as Britain's number one player right now. So it's a little bit like getting Tiger Woods on as a guest on a small golfing show on Channel 877.

Cheers for the positive post mate. Glad people are still enjoying the channel :)
  • edited March 2011
    Hasn't Julian Thew recently been dropped by poker stars??
  • edited March 2011
    Please check back here regularly to get the advance lowdown on what's happening in the next show as I update this thread throughout the month with more guest news.

Over and out. For now.
  • edited March 2011
    Posted by donkeyplop
    I believe he has parted company with them, but don't know the ins and outs of it. 

This from Pokernewsdaily... 

"PokerStars signed Thew almost exactly a year ago, so one could infer that he had a one-year deal that expired, with one or both sides deciding not to renew it."Maybe you could ask him yourself tomorrow night!
  • edited March 2011
    This also from the same source, which gives a nice overview of why he is so rated...

"Thew is not well known in the United States, but he is over in the United Kingdom. The Nottingham resident ranks 16th on the Great Britain and Ireland all-time live tournament money list according to the Hendon Mob, having won just over $2.5 million lifetime. That puts him ahead of such names as Joe Beevers, Praz Bansi, Harry Demetriou, Mansour Matloubi, Peter Costa, and Ross Boatman. He ranks 43rd on the European money list.From 2001 through 2006, Thew grinded out a nice living on the tournament circuit, including a number of five-figure scores such as an $89,750 cash in the Main Event of the Grosvenor Grand Challenge in early 2005, but it wasn’t until 2007 that he really broke through.In September 2007, Thew won the Plymouth stop of the Grosvenor U.K. Poker Tour for his first six-figure payday of $119,984. The next month, he won the European Poker Tour’s Baden Classic and $947,806. He followed that up in January with another Grosvenor U.K. Poker Tour win, this time in Brighton."
  • edited March 2011
    Wow!

Thanks, Rich - you've just saved me the effort of starting a show thread :)

So, consider this the ***OFFICIAL*** live show thread for Thursday 3rd March.

You heard the oracle known as Orford: channel 865 is the place; 8pm is the start time; Hartigan & Kendall are your hosts - with special guest star Julian Thew.  So, post those questions for a genuine legend of the British poker scene NOW.

Stick 'em in this thread, or e-mail skyopen@bskyb.com

• edited March 2011
    Why should you watch every Sky Poker TV show just now? Because of the guests. From the TSPers to all the British pros you've had on of late they've all been brilliant and add a new freshness to the show. Only been playing for a year and have learnt so much from the the sky regular experts but to now have all the differing views of so many professional players makes Ch.865 a must see for anyone serious about poker IMHO. I've so much to learn but Ch865 strikes me as being at least as good as any videos to be found on-line just now. Particularly looking forward to Channing. Can we have a moan-off between him and Hartigan please? ;-) And Rich, you're a top-notch "presenter". ;-) Gutted I missed the one with Ray Winstone. When did he start playing poker? And why were you all calling him Ian Fraser? Good luck keeping this thread on GPC during the current competition btw.
    Posted by bandini
    Thanks for the positive feedback bandini..... plenty more new and exciting things coming to the channel over the next few months so keep watching!
  • edited March 2011
    A reminder that this now the official thread for tonight's live show...

So, please post your questions for Julian Thew and your play-my-hand requests from tonight's £15k BH.  It's also the ideal vessel for any mud you want to sling at Tikay.  Personally, I feel everyone's been far too nice to the old fella in the last 48 hours!

Finally, if you'd like to see where Orford half-inched that picture of me from (the first one, not the awful LBC publicity shot taken by a man who had the nerve to call himself a professional portrait photographer), click HERE.

• edited March 2011
    Ok can you ask the question I asked above please?

Why  has he left pokerstars?

Plus what were the benefits from being a pokerstars pro?

Cheers.
  • edited March 2011
    Ok Lets started the ball rolling with a Nice easy Question

" Julian, how did it feel when you got TOTALLY PAWNED by Ed Giddens when you played an Omaha Tournament on Sky Poker Recently"

Saying that you did beat every other player in the tournament ;o)

Ok Serious Question now......    Can I have Liv Burree's Telephone number 
  • edited March 2011
    Posted by donkeyplop
    I'm not sure I'd phrase it like that, if I were to ask him!

He had a 1 year deal, from Jan 2010, & as I understand it, both parties then went their own way, happily.
  • edited March 2011

Julian Thew  is often referred to as 'one of the nicest guys on the poker circuit...'.

This is very wrong IMO...... he is the nicest fellow on the scene.

Looking forward to this.

Question for Julian.... 

What factors does he consider when deciding which llive tournaments to include in his schedule?

• edited March 2011

Why should I watch the next Sky Poker TV show?, dont know, give us a clue Rich ;)

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Why should I watch the next Sky Poker TV show? : I'm not sure I'd phrase it like that, if I were to ask him! He had a 1 year deal, from Jan 2010, & as I understand it, both parties then went their own way, happily.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Fair point Tikay.

Maybe just ask what the perks of being a stars pro brings then? :)
  • edited March 2011
    Have to say that the guests have turned a good show into an unmissable one.

ps. I think James should use "that" photo as his avatar!
  • edited March 2011
    Drink & mixed grill at the local then an evening of watching and playing poker. mbn.

• edited March 2011
    Tonight's show is going to be AWESOME!! Can't wait to see Thewy in action! CANNOT WAIT!

Don't forget we have the Team Sky Poker Classic Tourney tonight also at 9pm :)

So far we have 21

AllIn2000  BADBOY2000  caligula792000  Cormach2000  DICEKERS2000  Dollie2000  FB6662000  Fortunatus2000  Gigi2000  jacklad9992000  Laxie2000  LML2000  MASSIE292000  mikejacque2000  PUCPOUND2000  rob2392000  scotty772000  sizzling2000  sponge202000  Stutncfc2000  Z3TA2000
  • edited March 2011
    Question for Julian...

What do you think of the WSOPE being moved from London to Cannes?
    Would you buy in direct to the WSOP ME if unsucesfull with satelliting in? 
  • edited March 2011

Question for Julian

In a large MTT what is th best way to play in the low level blinds, some people tell me to sit tight and wait for the wild players to knock themselfs out, but others say try and gain a large chip stack at this time, which is correct in your opinion

LIAM 5 KINGS

• edited March 2011
    i almost had a heart attack when i was seated at my table with redmond lee aka lolufold to my left! he got super unlucky with aces vs kj hitting a jh straight, shortly after, shortstacked he shoves ace 6 after i min raise with kj, its nothing too special but i hit kings on turn and river and id love a visual record of it if you could be so kind ;) never thought id play with someone like that let alone take their bounty albeit luckily

347908336 - wont hold my breath tho i know im being cheeky asking! lol sorry redmond very unlucky
  • edited March 2011
    HI mandy pandy, james tikay and julian

great guest i have really enjoyed playing against an ept winner at the tables recently..

Hand request.... ONLY SHOW THIS IF MY FOLD IS CORRECT PLEASE:)
     or it will be yet another nitty redic fold. i had the guy on aq i guess. actually it was prob an awful fold he prob had a worse ace... sigh

Hand History #347924325 (20:35 03/03/2011)
  • edited March 2011

Circus act - walking on his hands or something?
  • edited March 2011
    He looks like he enjoys a spot of pottery.
  • edited March 2011
    Was Julian into rock climbing ? I'm thinking dangling off rocks with your hands would stretch them a little.
  • edited March 2011
    Was Julian into rock climbing ? I'm thinking dangling off rocks with your hands would stretch them a little.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Lookin to heavy and not enough fit to move his a.. up :)