You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary"

Comments

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Please beat the sh*te out of your doctor and get him to treat you seriously.  It's an easy excuse to blame things on excess alcohol and often is correct. But the new you negates all that. Life is tough enough as it is without having to suffer unnecessarily. Insist absolutely that they sort you out now. Agree to a billion tests if necessary.  Do it Now Please
    Posted by GELDY
        ^^^^
          +1
  • edited August 2015

Dohhhhhhhh,

This is not a good place for any of us to dispense medical advice, but.......

It's just wrong that a young man should be so tired, so often, something is definitely wrong there, & you ought to (try to) get it sorted.

Also, one typical piece of advice from me to what should be a sprightly young man - how often do you get out of the house, for a bit of exercise & fresh air? As a regular reader of this Diary, you very rarely mention going out. Fresh air & exercise might sound yawn-worthy advice from a grumpy old so & so, but it's solid.

A good balanced diet is important, too, with plenty of fruit, & maybe cut down on "pop" & fizzy drinks. Water, even flavoured water, beats pop by a mile.

Best regards,

Marjorie Proops.

• edited August 2015
    Dohhhhhhhh, This is not a good place for any of us to dispense medical advice, but....... It's just wrong that a young man should be so tired, so often, something is definitely wrong there, & you ought to (try to) get it sorted. Also, one typical piece of advice from me to what should be a sprightly young man - how often do you get out of the house, for a bit of exercise & fresh air? As a regular reader of this Diary, you very rarely mention going out. Fresh air & exercise might sound yawn-worthy advice from a grumpy old so & so, but it's solid. A good balanced diet is important, too, with plenty of fruit, & maybe cut down on "pop" & fizzy drinks. Water, even flavoured water, beats pop by a mile.   Best regards, Marjorie Proops.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Daily Mirror Agony Aunt I think. Pretty sure it was Dear Deidre in the Sun. Think the Sun thread was a little racier.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Daily Mirror Agony Aunt I think. Pretty sure it was Dear Deidre in the Sun. Think the Sun thread was a little racier.
    Posted by Jac35
    Correct, & something of a celebrity in her time. Got a gong, too (OBE).

Oddly, her first name was actually Rebecca.

Back in the pre-internet days, people like Marj were huge stars, as Newspapers were so much more important then.  

• edited August 2015
    Hi, sorry if this thread has become overly dominated by the tiredness stuff. Recent replies suggest it may have.

I don't mean to blag on about it but it's hard to write up how poker is going without mentioning it abit when it has such a big impact. 

TK all the things you mention above have improved alot over the last 4 months. 

I don't drink fizzy pop at all. Haven't had a fizzy non alcoholic drink for 10 years, have cut out all suger in teas/coffee etc completely and I must drink >8 litres of cold water a day.

Have had 1 single takeaway in 4 months when it used to be a weekly thing. 

I've tried all the so called super foods, even started drinking green tea and eating stuff like chia and flaxseeds as well as trying vitamin B and numerous other supplements. 

My exercise both in and outdoors has increased out of sight over that period too.

I can honestly say I've tried everything I can possibly try myself to improve things and if anything it's getting worse. 

If anyone has any ideas of other things I can eat or buy from the chemist that might help, please lmk!

I know the doctors will 'snap' put it down to alcohol withdrawl, (despite me having Zero withdrawl symptoms since day 1) or some other thing but I will give them another ring this week and try. 

fwiw I've been keeping a diary recently of my food and drink intake and I think eating eggs may be making me feel worse. 

Or it could just be fatigue variance. 

Either way, gg eggs. 

-------

Had a decently productive day at poker yesterday.

I watched some videos, and then did a skype call for a couple of hours with friends playing some 10/20nl.

Did some work on ranges and discovered some pretty alarming stuff about how we can play big hands pre flop in cash games. :o

A friend of mine who is also a very good player shared the data from his spreadsheet too.

Over decent samples, he's a big winning player on skypoker at 4nl, 20nl (over 10xbb/100), 30nl, and 50nl. 

He's a very slight losing player at 10nl. 

I was both surprised and also releived to hear that. 

It just shows how much the rake impacts your results at that level. Although of course the samples are still small enough for there to be lots of variance. 

I wont be playing 10nl here again. 

Plan is to get the roll to £1k using t'other sites and go to 20nl on SP.com from there. 

-----

MTTs again yesterday for abit.

Fun hand.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    AJStranger Small blind  40.00 40.00 949.00
    darryn1973 Big blind  80.00 120.00 7403.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

DOHHHHHHH Raise  240.00 360.00 3365.00
    britbull01 Fold     
    yelvy All-in  1635.75 1995.75 0.00
    ulsterfr30 All-in  2166.00 4161.75 0.00
    AJStranger Fold     
    darryn1973 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  3321.75 7483.50 43.25
    DOHHHHHHH Unmatched bet  1395.75 6087.75 1439.00
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    • A
    • A

yelvy Show
    • A
    • J

ulsterfr30 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• K
    • Q

Turn

River

ulsterfr30 Win Full House, Queens and 10s 6087.75  6087.75
    HOLD FOR 2 HEADS.

OK HOLD FOR 1 HEAD.

'AYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH' :(

I cba to convert balances in other currencies to £.

But may have lost about 7 quid.

So roll into today = £925ish.

----

Off to ring the Quacks!

GL all playing today.

• edited August 2015

Hi JJ,

You wrote.....

"...Hi, sorry if this thread has become overly dominated by the tiredness stuff. Recent replies suggest it may have.

I don't mean to blag on about it but it's hard to write up how poker is going without mentioning it a bit when it has such a big impact. 

TK all the things you mention above have improved a lot over the last 4 months. 

That's all great news, & I'm very glad to hear it. All the more reason, then, to persist with proper medical consultations. It's just not right, this tiredness is nature's way of trying to tell you something. At my age, we can expect to feel tired, at your age, no way. 

As to the Diary being "dominated by tiredness", it might be just me (very likely is) but I cant & don't read "poker only" Diaries, they bore me (& I suspect a few others) to tears. I like better balance to diary & conversation. I've never once commented on this Diary as to whether a play with AK in early position or whatever was right or wrong, it does not interest me one dot, unless of course it is to assist a newbie to the game, in which case yes, I'm all over that.  There's a whole lot more to life than the silly, but wonderful, game of poker.

Anyway, listen to Grandad, & go see Mr Quack again.

• edited August 2015
    :)

In a weird way bringing it up in here has made me feel abit better about it too. Even though I know it isn't, it's nice to be told it's not normal and something can be done about it. Also feels good that it's 'out there' and not just in my head 24/7. Meh. 

Reception guy has left a message with my GP asking her to contact me when she's back in surgery tomorrow. 

Best possible result. 

Feels like I've done something about it and if it doesn't end up getting me anywhere, at least I don't feel dejected until tomorrow :)

-----

'On the negatives'. Just lost 6 Euros on Unibet 10nl without playing a pot above €0.50c.

Games r fun :/ 

In Response to Re::
    as to whether a play with AK in early position
    Posted by Tikay10
    This was part of yesterdays 'work' 

We can gii w/ AK for 100 blinds, if opponent is willing to get QQ in for 100 blinds. 

So, we can't gii for 100 blinds :)

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re::
    :) In a weird way bringing it up in here has made me feel abit better about it too. Even though I know it isn't, it's nice to be told it's not normal and something can be done about it. Also feels good that it's 'out there' and not just in my head 24/7. Meh.  Reception guy has left a message with my GP asking her to contact me when she's back in surgery tomorrow.  Best possible result.  Feels like I've done something about it and if it doesn't end up getting me anywhere, at least I don't feel dejected until tomorrow :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Stopped reading after that bit. I'm chuffed to bits. The little team of well meaning naggers on here may have helped a bit.

You do the poker advice, we'll look after the more mundane matters of life & death, ok?

• edited August 2015

Literally a 'yawn update'. 

Doc been in touch, gotta go to DRI for (yet another) full set of bloods. 

If it is anything physical causing the problems then it 'should show on the results'.

If there is nothing Dennis Amiss, it could be depression. I find that hard to believe.

If it is I blame the 10nl regs. 

• edited August 2015
    Literally a 'yawn update'.  Doc been in touch, gotta go to DRI for (yet another) full set of bloods.  If it is anything physical causing the problems then it 'should show on the results'. If there is nothing Dennis Amiss, it could be depression. I find that hard to believe. If it is I blame the 10nl regs. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    :D I've been around guys with depression before, and if you do have it, then, well... you deal with it remarkably well! GLGL

+1 to TKz life / poker comment. Keep life coming 
  • edited August 2015

Aight well poker for now, as I seem to be updating hourly today. 

Just played 1k 5nl zoom hands. (it isnt as easy as it sounds!!!!)

http://i.imgur.com/uCSgK2l.png

Gonna post the big hand that thwarted my comeback.

Villain is a regularrrrrr in these games, plays 12/10 over 750 hands but has a high 3b of 8%.

I've just paid him off 3 streets when I peeled bb v his btn with KJ and called all the way on K6x86 to lose to his 86. 

So gameflow not great to attempt this bluff but other than that, I think it's ok? 

I got all the sets and the straight and he is probably limited to overpairs when he 3bets btn v utg. 

Thoughts?

"lol trying to make overpairs fold at 5nl" ? 

Seat 1: blandik ( $9.31 )
    Seat 6: DOHHHHHHH24 ( $8.67 )

AlysaG0p posts small blind [$0.02]
    zheka656 posts big blind [$0.05]

** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to DOHHHHHHH24 [ Th, Tc ]

DOHHHHHHH24 raises [$0.15]
    NutFloppo folds
    0Singularity folds
    blandik raises [$0.35]
    AlysaG0p folds
    zheka656 folds
    DOHHHHHHH24 calls [$0.20]

** Dealing flop ** [ 6h, 5s, 3c ]

DOHHHHHHH24 checks
    blandik bets [$0.60]
    DOHHHHHHH24 calls [$0.60]

** Dealing turn ** [ 2s ]
    DOHHHHHHH24 checks
    blandik bets [$1]
    DOHHHHHHH24 raises [$2.35]
    blandik calls [$1.35]

** Dealing river ** [ 7d ]
    DOHHHHHHH24 bets [$5.37]
    blandik calls [$5.37]

** Summary **
    blandik shows [ Ah, Ac ]
    DOHHHHHHH24 shows [ Th, Tc ]
    blandik collected [ $16.39 ]

• edited August 2015
    Hello Dohhhhhhh I to get tired in fact had to reduce my hours of work and did have about 18 months off work, does your body  ache in lots of places and does your skin tingle if so you might have fibromyalgia although some people just get the tiredness. Some doctors don't believe this is a condition and just think you are a malingerer which I know not to be true I have been to a clinic for this and also chronic fatigue which has similar symptoms but there is no test for it they just come to this conclusion when they have ruled everything else out. You have to make lifestyle changes so you can lead a reasonable life without being tired all the time at poker I play mostly cash and if I play for 2 hours that is a long game for me. I also use this as an excuse as to why I am so poor at tournaments but I think the real problem is that I am just bad, if I do play tournaments it will only be 1 or 2 very rarely 3 at a time but I can be quite happy playing just one. I do lead a good life thanks to my wife and the medication I take so please don't anyone feel sorry for me and one of the reasons I got into poker was to fill some of the day while off work because its not to strenuous and if you pick the right type of game you can play as you like and it's a great game. Ask your doctor about these conditions and I hope your better soon.
  • edited August 2015
    the bluff is not so great

reason 1) you only have 6 combos of 44, and he might even have some A4s combos, so it's not like you have significantly more 4x than villain. Villain still has a range advantage ott despite hero having slightly more 4x simply because he has so many overpairs, so it's not a spot we can go crazy.

reason 2) you probably raise sets otf a decent %, well, I think you should be, and even if you're not, villain might be thinking this, making your bluff less successful.

reason 3) the flush draw missed. It's simply too easy for villain to reasonably think, ok, flush draw missed, he hasn't got very many 4x, he might raise sets otf, I call. Also, not that it's hugely relevant in these games, but bluffing with an overpair like this means you're bluffing significantly too much. I would only make this move if I was so sure villain overfolds vs aggression, and I'd really have to be positive because if you're not, then it's total spew. 

** your actual line is fine, but not with this hand **

*** one more edit - I'm very willing to rail you playing zoom for a short while and make notes to help you. I won't talk while you're playing because that's a distraction, and when you've finished I'll type them to you/chat about it***
  • edited August 2015
    How can u be depressed and tired all the time with your bankroll lolz just joking as u know i suffer with bad anxiety and depression for several years now i hate it i find going out the house a major effort :( u will get there m8 coming of the drink is a big help u just need to find some activities to do to keep u occupied not just play poker find some balance to your life do other things aswell as play poker go for a walk is good :)
  • edited August 2015
    Hi DOHHH, 
    Thought I'd just pop in as you mentioned that eating eggs might be making it worse. Your other symptoms don't match up with this (I don't think) but have you got any history of gall stones in the family? 
    Both my mum and one of my brothers have had to have their gall bladders removed. Earlier this year I started getting awful pains around thirty minutes after eating (without ever actually getting diarhrea or vomiting). It took a while because at first I thought it was an allergy to something but I managed to narrow it down to eggs and when I did some research I found this to be a symptom of gall bladder disease and/or stones. I've since cut eggs from my diet and I'm dramatically better so far, touch wood! I've also read that sometimes gall stones can appear/grow/cause problems when a dramatic healthy change is made to your diet, depressing I know! So perhaps your health kick could have triggered this. Although if your not in any pain perhaps feel free to discard all of this! 
    I haven't been to a doctor so all of this is self diagnosis so don't take it as gospel but might be worth mentioning the egg thing to the doctor :)
    GL on and off the tables x
  • edited August 2015
    Hi Dohhhhhhh

Your symptoms are similar to my father in law's. I'm assuming you can go to bed, have a good 8hrs sleep and still feel exhausted in the morning??

He suffered for months before he was eventually diagnosed with sleep apnoea. He now sleeps with a mask on to maintain his airflow during the night and he says he feels like a new man.

Google the symptoms for yourself and if they sound familiar then demand a test. My father in law spent the night in hospital hooked up to various monitors in order to be diagnosed. It's all good and well getting 8hrs sleep but with sleep apnoea you are rarely having a good quality deep sleep that the body and mind require.  Might be worth looking into.

Whatever it is, I hope it gets sorted soon and it's good to see you back on the forum.
  • edited August 2015
    Ive been telling my brother for two years to go to the doctors about his SMOKERS cough,he kept brushing it aside,even a friend booked him in the doctors about 18 months ago,he didnt turn up
    hes been diagnosed with lung cancer on monday tommorw he,ll find out what stage the progression is(personnally im expecting the worse) hes 46 ffs
    hes not just me bro,hes my work partner and my best friend
    idk if he was just affraid of going the docs fearing the worst but now its too late,thats why if your not feeling right get down the docs
    anyway there ive said it :(
  • edited August 2015
    Sorry to hear that stokefc :(
  • edited August 2015
    Ive been telling my brother for two years to go to the doctors about his SMOKERS cough,he kept brushing it aside,even a friend booked him in the doctors about 18 months ago,he didnt turn up hes been diagnosed with lung cancer on monday tommorw he,ll find out what stage the progression is(personnally im expecting the worse) hes 46 ffs hes not just me bro,hes my work partner and my best friend idk if he was just affraid of going the docs fearing the worst but now its too late,thats why if your not feeling right get down the docs anyway there ive said it :(
    Posted by stokefc
    Really sorry to hear this news mate, It seems  harder when it is someone you love, I would rather anything happen to me than any of my family, selfish I guess but as I said it is heartbreaking when its someone in the family. My best wishes to your brother and all your family in this difficult time, keep fingers crossed for better news from the tests.
  • edited August 2015
    Dohh my good man, follow the advice given re hounding docs, I was lucky that I saw a new Doc and she sent me for blood tests and I was found to have prostate cancer, I am not suggesting for a moment that your symptoms are the same as mine just that a different approach can make all the difference. Ps, me being lucky means I was stage 3 and able to have brachytherapy and radiotherapy and I am having on-going treatment and may have a chance of a few years ahead and I am enjoying life on a daily basis ( apart from being grumpy and emotional some days which I can blame on the treatment - happy days :)

Oh and I fin 2nd in rewards freeroll tonight #alwaysfinishwithabrag
  • edited August 2015
    Ive been telling my brother for two years to go to the doctors about his SMOKERS cough,he kept brushing it aside,even a friend booked him in the doctors about 18 months ago,he didnt turn up hes been diagnosed with lung cancer on monday tommorw he,ll find out what stage the progression is(personnally im expecting the worse) hes 46 ffs hes not just me bro,hes my work partner and my best friend idk if he was just affraid of going the docs fearing the worst but now its too late,thats why if your not feeling right get down the docs anyway there ive said it :(
    Posted by stokefc
    Sorry to read this. I've sent you a PM mate.
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by stokefc
    Very sorry to hear this Stoke, and I wish him and your family all the best tomorrow. 

I hope you get some encouraging news. 
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by stokefc
    Oh my Stokey, that's dreadful news.

Fingers crossed it's not as bad as you understandably fear.
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks to everyone who's posted recently, I really do appreciate people taking the time and effort to offer encouraementand also ideas as to what might be going on.

Even when Lambo suggested vit B tabs. And all they did was turned my pee green and make me feel 10 x worse and £19.99 (+ delivery) poorer.

Still appreciated the effort! :D

@Rik, when I spoke to the doc yesterday 1 of the things she mentioned was sleep apnoea. So I assume if theres nothing obvious in my blood results she will probably try and eliminate that as a potential cause afterwards.

Signs of OSA while you are awake can include:
    • not feeling refreshed after waking up
    • feeling very sleepy during the day
    • poor concentration
    3/3! :(

@Tomo, thanks for posting Sir. It's quite inspirational that you can have such a positive attitude in the circumstances. 

The recent posts from you and Stoke have been quite harrowing. I'm normally fairly strong minded and try to take the positives and be optimistic where possible as it has helped me deal with the downs of the last 5/6 years, but there's no doubt that recently with how I've been feeling I've let that slip abit.

Although I'm not in the best place mentally/physically right now things could easily be much worse, and who knows next week when I get the blood results, they might be. So theres really no excuse for the poor attitude and feeling sorry for myself like I've had in recent weeks.

On a more positive note, congrats on the freeroll score.

It's a criticism often fired @ Bates. 

Yes it's all well and good winning the mains and super rollers, but can he cut it at the toughest level and crush the freerolls?

The answer, so far, unfortunately for him and his reputation as a potential 'Total Player', is no. 

@MrsDuck, no history that I'm aware of. I did get quite alot of pain in my lower right back when I stopped drinking alcohol. But I put that down to playing alot of darts, because I have a really awkward stance :). I stopped playing darts, and it went.

gg alcohol, darts, and now eggs. pffft. whats left :(

I will definitely mention the egg thing to the doctor. And hope she has a Voila moment :D

fwiw, I also noticed on the food diary that I felt better the days after eating cod (fish) too. 

How do you eat breakfast without eggs???   :'(

@doylebrun, Welcome to the thread buddy. I've just read up on Fibromyalgia. Some of it fits, some of it really doesn't at all. I don't have any sort of pain, no headaches or stomach pain. Aching body is only after exercise and is no different to how I felt after exercising when I was 15/18/20/22 etc so that all seems standard.

It sounds a really tough thing to deal with though, and far from ideal for an online poker grinder! 

If you're looking for tournaments that last under 2 hours and start pretty much 24/7, there are some 180 and/or 90 player sit n gos on pokerstars. They start and end within 2 hours easily. Might be worth checking out if you want a break from the 10nl grind.

Thanks again for posting, see you at the tables again soon :)

--------

That's alot of replies!

I'm not just saying this, but the recent activity on here has made me feel alot more positive.

Just talking about it abit, even in a place as obscure as an online poker diary has made me more determined to a) 'get better' and b) if that's not possible in the short term, at least deal with things as best I can. 

------

Poker....

Rubbish @ mtts yesterday. I think my brief flirtation with them will now be over. 

Cash, better.

Roll @ £945, nearing that 20nl shot. 

Looking forward to a decent amount of poker today, and the RLODC QF live on sky as Yorkshire travel down to fortress Chelmsford.

In for the blood tests tomorrow and then out to spend the day watching a local cricket match on Saturday.

Good luck all on and off the table this weekend :)

P.S, I forgot to mention I hit 4 months off booze today  'vamosssss' :D

• edited August 2015

Always keep an eye on this diary JJ. Really hope you get the cause sorted out, and things turn for the better. Easier said than done, but try not to stress/worry about stuff too much. You have done the right thing and confronted it now and hopefully these 'overpaid doctors who do hardly any hours of work' can diagnose you correctly and come up with a solution for you promptly.

My thoughts and best wishes are also with Sean & his family. 

• edited August 2015
    Long time silent reader wishing you all the best.
    Mick
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks for the reply Dohhhhhhh I can play longer in tournaments but usually 1 or 2 at a time and with Sky I would not be playing all night but usually don't have that problem as I get knocked out of them pretty early, just can't seem to play them. Hope you get to the bottom of your problem soon so it can be sorted out half the problem for me was not knowing what was wrong with me.  
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks for the reply Dohhhhhhh I can play longer in tournaments but usually 1 or 2 at a time and with Sky I would not be playing all night but usually don't have that problem as I get knocked out of them pretty early, just can't seem to play them. Hope you get to the bottom of your problem soon so it can be sorted out half the problem for me was not knowing what was wrong with me.  
    Posted by DoyleBrun
    Hi Doyle,

Just a suggestion, but have you considered playing SNG's or DYM's? They only last around 40 minutes, tops.

In fact, for some players - Jac35 & Macacgirl spring readily to mind - they barely last 5 minutes.

• edited August 2015

From my recent experiences battling with doylebrun in the 10nl games, I feel he would be a formidable DYM opponent ;)
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Hi Doyle, Just a suggestion, but have you considered playing SNG's or DYM's? They only last around 40 minutes, tops. In fact, for some players - Jac35 & Macacgirl spring readily to mind - they barely last 5 minutes.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    You can't give me a tap in like that, Tikay!