You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

c/f an overpair @ NL4

Comments

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4:
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : What are you not following?

From your end,

why is lambert btn limping range 22-99?

Why does he only call the flop with a set?

If so, why bet?  Why is the 3 a bad turn card? 

Why is c/f turn best?

Do you c/f 33/44 on turn if his range is a flopped set?
    Posted by grantorino
    right ive broken this up in quot to make it easier to respond to best as i can

More i think about it the less i think 99 is in his range tbh. Less because i believe at NL4 as many regs including myself believe its pointless to raise small pairs then miss set and have to shut down. Most of us would just limp call. Im not sure if Lambert is similar, i probably havent played him enough to know for sure. on the whole i know hes better than most of the players at NL4 so i dont see value in playing him.

If he flats he probably get another street of value. imo anyways.

the cbet was because i knew he had other hands in his range on the flop that dont have sets.

Tbh i wouldnt have cbetted 33 and 44 id probably not be comfortable about getting it in.

Again i play 33/44 completely diff as id have checked.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : right ive broken this up in quot to make it easier to respond to best as i can More i think about it the less i think 99 is in his range tbh. Less because i believe at NL4 as many regs including myself believe its pointless to raise small pairs then miss set and have to shut down. Most of us would just limp call. Im not sure if Lambert is similar, i probably havent played him enough to know for sure. on the wholei know hes better than most of the players at NL4 so i dont see value in playing him. If he flats he probably get another street of value. imo anyways. the cbet was because i knew he had other hands in his range on the flop that dont have sets. Tbh i wouldnt have cbetted 33 and 44 id probably not be comfortable about getting it in. Again i play 33/44 completely diff as id have checked.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Nearly all 4nl regs who post here advocate opening on the btn with pps. When he limps why cant he have 87s, KTo or A4s as well as pps?

If he only calls flop with a set betting is terrible

Why would you not cbet 44, if you cbet JJ?
  • edited December 2011

my point is GT i would have checked 44 so yes i would have lead.

A4s v a range i have oop. I dont see alot of regs calling off A4s for 8bb

• edited December 2011
    If he only calls flop with a set betting is terrible.
    Posted by grantorino

Why ??
  • edited December 2011
    If he only calls flop with a set betting is terrible. Posted by grantorino
    Why ??
    Posted by stien

Nothing worse calls, our hand is too strong to bluff with
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : Why ?? Posted by stien
    Posted by grantorino

but hands such as KJ/A9/AT might also be in his range and do we wnat to give him a free card?
  • edited December 2011
    so when he calls your bet on the flop your saying he has a set most of the time ermmmm ok 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : Nothing worse calls, our hand is too strong to bluff with Posted by grantorino
    but hands such as KJ/A9/AT might also be in his range and do we wnat to give him a free card?
    Posted by The_Don90

Thought he didnt limp those? :)

If he does they have ~7% to beat you on turn. I would bet for value here all day, but if you think only sets call and hands with 7% equity that can improve to worse top pair hands will fold I think checking is much better than betting, unless you think he never ever puts in more money unless he turns a bigger pair than a J

EDIT: Even if you give 2 free cards its still going to be only something like 12-14% to outdraw you
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : Why ?? Posted by stien
    Posted by grantorino

We are not bluffing w/ over pair to the board. Is getting worse hands to call our only reason for betting? There are plenty of hands that have equity v us here and you think we should check. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are not bluffing w/ over pair to the board. Is getting worse hands to call our only reason for betting? There are plenty of hands that have equity v us here and you think we should check. 
    Posted by stien
    I already said I bet all day here

Don says range pre is 22-99, and thinks villain only calls flop with sets. Why bet?

Anyway hands with decent equity v JJ never fold so we just bet for value. And yes betting for value would be pretty much the only reason to bet JJ on that board. Better never folds
  • edited December 2011
    Lambert ive seen you post fairly regularly in the Clinic, why the hell are you still limping the button? Probably every winning player in this forum will testify to it being a terrible play, even at nl4.

Don - i think you generally assign too tight ranges to players. Especially in a hand like this where the player limped. I think his range has to be wide enough to at least call turn, although betting is the better option.
  • edited December 2011
    Lambert ive seen you post fairly regularly in the Clinic, why the hell are you still limping the button? Probably every winning player in this forum will testify to it being a terrible play, even at nl4. Don - i think you generally assign too tight ranges to players. Especially in a hand like this where the player limped. I think his range has to be wide enough to at least call turn, although betting is the better option.
    Posted by offshoot
    Sometimes I doubt my own sanity when posting advice on this forum, maybe above is the voice of reason !

• edited December 2011
    Wow, this has become a popular one. I'll reply to what I can remember people saying

GT - Don has my range pretty much spot on. At 4NL the only hands I'm gonna raise  with (if I'm first into the pot) are 22+, AT+, and KQ. Once a solid player like Don has raised before me, I'm 3 betting with JJ+ and AK, flatting all lower pairs and *MAYBE AQ* but probably not against Don, everything else I'm folding. So none of the hands like 78s,K9 etc are in my range. Don had it spot on and it was that fact that allowed me to bluff him off the overpair, cos I knew he'd put me on a small PP and most of them by the turn are either a set or an open ended straight draw at worst.

I know how most of the solid players at this level play, especially Don thanks to clinic posts lol, and as Don said earlier, when he makes this raise pre I know for a fact he only has TT+ or AK. I also know that he will think I'm mostly flatting with low/medium PPs to set-mine. So when I get a flop that doesn't help a single hand in his range and looks like it's all over my range, I play it like a set because I know I can make him fold an overpair on this board (as I did).

Offshoot - I know what you're saying about limping the button and clearly you're a much better player than me, but as I said above, I know for a fact that Don has one of the above mentioned hands, so by raising I'm just gonna create a massive pot when I'm flipping or a big underdog. Against most opponents I'm doing this because 95% of players at this level stack off so easily that I know I can get best part if not all of their stack even when I limp as long as they hit even a tiny bit of the flop, and if I miss (as I very often will), I've saved about 4-5BBs. I do know what ya mean though, I only do it against really bad players and in this case I did it because of what I know of Don's play.
  • edited December 2011
    Offshoot - I know what you're saying about limping the button and clearly you're a much better player than me, but as I said above, I know for a fact that Don has one of the above mentioned hands, so by raising I'm just gonna create a massive pot when I'm flipping or a big underdog.

Can you just explain this bit Lamby, how can you know he has one of these hands when you have to act first? Fwiw 77 has to an auto raise on the button even for me. 
  • edited December 2011
    Hand history:

Lambert: ooh I have a pretty hand but an overcard might come and I am afraid to play poker even ip, lets limp

Don: Ihave a really pretty hand , raise it the fcuk up

Lambert: I has a pair I call

Don: mmm,  Lambert only has 22-99 and he folds anything that hasnt made a set so I will turn my overpair into a bluff and bet

Lambert: Pretty good flop for me, I still has a pair, I calls

Don : uhoh Lambert called a flop which misses my range completely, the bastid flopped a set. And if he didnt he turned one, I checks

Lambert: oooh,Don has AQ lets bet to make him fold it

Don: I ruuuun  so baaaaaaaaaaad, he deffo has a set, he never vbets worse or bluffs when I play my hand like air, lets fold
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, this has become a popular one. I'll reply to what I can remember people saying GT - Don has my range pretty much spot on. At 4NL the only hands I'm gonna raise  with (if I'm first into the pot) are 22+, AT+, and KQ. Once a solid player like Don has raised before me, I'm 3 betting with JJ+ and AK, flatting all lower pairs and *MAYBE AQ* but probably not against Don, everything else I'm folding. So none of the hands like 78s,K9 etc are in my range. Don had it spot on and it was that fact that allowed me to bluff him off the overpair, cos I knew he'd put me on a small PP and most of them by the turn are either a set or an open ended straight draw at worst. I know how most of the solid players at this level play, especially Don thanks to clinic posts lol, and as Don said earlier, when he makes this raise pre I know for a fact he only has TT+ or AK. I also know that he will think I'm mostly flatting with low/medium PPs to set-mine. So when I get a flop that doesn't help a single hand in his range and looks like it's all over my range, I play it like a set because I know I can make him fold an overpair on this board (as I did). Offshoot - I know what you're saying about limping the button and clearly you're a much better player than me, but as I said above, I know for a fact that Don has one of the above mentioned hands, so by raising I'm just gonna create a massive pot when I'm flipping or a big underdog. Against most opponents I'm doing this because 95% of players at this level stack off so easily that I know I can get best part if not all of their stack even when I limp as long as they hit even a tiny bit of the flop, and if I miss (as I very often will), I've saved about 4-5BBs. I do know what ya mean though, I only do it against really bad players and in this case I did it because of what I know of Don's play.
    Posted by Lambert180
    First of all, obv my above post is over exagerated, dont take it too seriously, but I think you both played your hands badly

You obv dont open 22+ when first in the pot

Are you seriously saying you floated flop because you knew Don c/f his overpairs on the turn?

How do you know Don has TT+, AK when he hasnt even acted yet? That range sounds too tight anyway

Raising a few bb wont create a massive pot as a big underdog

Sounds to me like you are playng your hand after results are seen
  • edited December 2011
    Hand history: Lambert: ooh I have a pretty hand but an overcard might come and I am afraid to play poker even ip, lets limp Don: Ihave a really pretty hand , raise it the fcuk up Lambert: I has a pair I call Don: mmm,  Lambert only has 22-99 and he folds anything that hasnt made a set so I will turn my overpair into a bluff and bet Lambert: Pretty good flop for me, I still has a pair, I calls Don : uhoh Lambert called a flop which misses my range completely, the bastid flopped a set. And if he didnt he turned one, I checks Lambert: oooh,Don has AQ lets bet to make him fold it Don: I ruuuun  so baaaaaaaaaaad, he deffo has a set, he never vbets worse or bluffs when I play my hand like air, lets fold
    Posted by grantorino
    This made me lol!

excellent work GT
  • edited December 2011
    Hand history: Lambert: ooh I have a pretty hand but an overcard might come and I am afraid to play poker even ip, lets limp Don: Ihave a really pretty hand , raise it the fcuk up Lambert: I has a pair I call Don: mmm,  Lambert only has 22-99 and he folds anything that hasnt made a set so I will turn my overpair into a bluff and bet Lambert: Pretty good flop for me, I still has a pair, I calls Don : uhoh Lambert called a flop which misses my range completely, the bastid flopped a set. And if he didnt he turned one, I checks Lambert: oooh,Don has AQ lets bet to make him fold it Don: I ruuuun  so baaaaaaaaaaad, he deffo has a set, he never vbets worse or bluffs when I play my hand like air, lets fold
    Posted by grantorino
    This is exactly how this hand went down, all this BS from lamb saying he's repping a set on the turn, he bet because don checked, so obvious. Made me lol anyhow.
  • ybyb
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : This is exactly how this hand went down, all this BS from lamb saying he's repping a set on the turn, he bet because don checked, so obvious. Made me lol anyhow.
    Posted by stien
    this

theres no way lambert was betting 50p on the turn to get the don to fold an overpair imo
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : this theres no way lambert was betting 50p on the turn to get the don to fold an overpair imo
    Posted by yb
    He bet small so he could fold to a shove.
  • edited December 2011
    Lambert: you have misread the hand. You openlimped on the button then Don raises from the big blind. There is absolutely no reason ever to openlimp the button. Especially if you do it with a specific range like small pocket pairs. You will become ridiculously easy to play against.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry I did mis-read it and made a mistake with my earlier posts...

I meant to say that when he 3bet to that amount this was the range I could put him on. With the board that came out, and bearing in mind the bet he made pre, he was only ever gonna have an overpair or 2 big overcards. He's gonna c-bet against me in this situation practically 100% of the time so I call knowing that he's probably gonna put me on a set cos the way I play at this level doesn't involve bluffing/floatiing so when I call, he knows I defintely have something.

No offence to the knowledgable people on here but frankly, you're wrong in saying that I didn't intend to play it as a set, that was exactly my plan cos I reckon I have a good handle on how Don's mind works. He's quite negative and is VERY quick to jump to the conclusion that his over pair (for example) is beaten and that the villian always has the nuts.

Offshoot - It makes it easy to play against when I'm playing people who keep track of how I've been palying my hands but that doesn't apply to 95% of the opponents at this level. The only people who are gonna pick up on this are the people I don't generally sit on a table with/play hands against.

• edited December 2011

"You're only exploitable if you're being exploited"  ;)

-----------------------

Think ppl are being harsh on Lambert, I love how he's played the hand, other than the limp pre.

How can you say he didn't know what he was doing with the turn bet?

He said he did, and it looks like he did, therefore you've got to trust that he really did. Don't think he's the kinda guy who would lie and "claim it" just to make himself look good, it's obv he's keen to learn. Lying wouldn't help him do that.

wp imo, but I agree, raise pre.

• edited December 2011
    "You're only exploitable if you're being exploited"  ;) ----------------------- Think ppl are being harsh on Lambert, I love how he's played the hand, other than the limp pre. How can you say he didn't know what he was doing with the turn bet? He said he did, and it looks like he did, therefore you've got to trust that he really did. Don't think he's the kinda guy who would lie and "claim it" just to make himself look good, it's obv he's keen to learn. Lying wouldn't help him do that. wp imo, but I agree, raise pre.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1
  • edited December 2011
    Lambert, Don didnt 3bet pre

I'm not sure you are being completely honest with yourself on what your plan for hand was, but only you know that so will take your word for it.

What exactly is your plan for future streets at each stage? When you call pre, and when you call flop? If he calls turn?

I dont think I like the line anyway, but if you answer those questions will tell you why (also might like it better with clear answers to those)

On the whole exploiting thing, Don should be able to exploit you, even if most 4nl players wont. Kudos to you for at least thinking about a way of exploiting him.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : this theres no way lambert was betting 50p on the turn to get the don to fold an overpair imo
    Posted by yb
    ofcourse not, the bet is "I have pr and outs + little FE"

q1. Why no raise on flop if you bluffing

q2. do you raise turn if don leads

q3. why do you always advocate "never limping" then you limp button :D
    The funny thing about this is I advocate limping in certain situations in another thread, and you jump in saying I am talking nonsense !! Kinda upsets me )
  • edited December 2011
    can i just state im rarley foldin an overpair at this level. However one thing i actually forgot to mention and i think JJ does to is the bet sizing Lambert makes sets up a river pot shove, whicch made me think he was doing it for value.

tbh more i think about this i probaly did play it badly.
  • edited December 2011
    Lambert, Don didnt 3bet pre I'm not sure you are being completely honest with yourself on what your plan for hand was, but only you know that so will take your word for it. What exactly is your plan for future streets at each stage? When you call pre, and when you call flop? If he calls turn? I dont think I like the line anyway, but if you answer those questions will tell you why (also might like it better with clear answers to those) On the whole exploiting thing, Don should be able to exploit you, even if most 4nl players wont. Kudos to you for at least thinking about a way of exploiting him.
    Posted by grantorino
    Well when I call pre I know I have two ways of winning, either hitting my set, or being able to outplay him on alot of flops because his range is so narrow.

When I call the flop, obviosuly I know on the turn I can either hit my set, hit my gutshot OR hit another blank (for his range) and continue the story of me having a set. In relation to this and in answer to Rancid, the reason I didn't re-raise the flop is because if I'd have genuinely flopped a set, I wouldn't have re-raised because as I said what Don's range is, I think the best way to get value from him is to flat and let him to lead out again on the turn.

If he calls the turn then I'm pretty certain he's gonna check the river to me because there is just no hand he has here to bet for value (short of rivering a set) and when he does, I'll be shoving. If it goes this far, then I will have played the entire hand exactly as I would if I'd flopped a set.

I know what ya mean about me becoming exploitable by Don and other regs but that's why I don't play my complete normal 4NL against the regs. There's no way I'd have been making plays like this against most of the players at this level, like the people who would NEVER fold an overpair or TPGK so granted against most people this doesnt work, but I know Don has a fold button.

As I said earlier, I think because Don is a very good tournament player he often makes what would be 'good lay downs' and is correct that he's beat in that particular case (although not necessarily good long term against their whole range), but surely in cash that is why putting people on range's is all the more relevant. I.e. if he knows that there are 10 possible hands in my range, 6 of which he beats and 4 of which he doesnt he should surely carry on but I think sometimes the Don can have that attitude of 'making good lay downs and finding better spots' which is good when you have one tourney life but not always the best way in a cash game (if you can deal with some swings).

Hope that answers everything GT... be glad to hear your thoughts.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: c/f an overpair @ NL4 : First of all, obv my above post is over exagerated, dont take it too seriously, but I think you both played your hands badly You obv dont open 22+ when first in the pot Are you seriously saying you floated flop because you knew Don c/f his overpairs on the turn? How do you know Don has TT+, AK when he hasnt even acted yet? That range sounds too tight anyway Raising a few bb wont create a massive pot as a big underdog Sounds to me like you are playng your hand after results are seen
    Posted by grantorino
    Post of year awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    I come back after 3 months and this is what i am presented with????? DONALD!!! Bet turn, shove turn but deffo never folding EVER with this flop. If you are scared of a setr then you are going to B/F more money than you lose by betting

even vs lambert who is v good for this level we should never ever be folding an over pair to the board here, unless Lambert actually says, i have a set, in the chat box.