You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER

Comments

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER:
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : So in short,you would have folded pre in both the hands i've posted?Am i correct in saying this?
    Posted by igimc
    You write nonsense love..xxx
  • edited January 2012
    igimc - Ever wonder the reason people spend their valuable life reading and replying to posts in Area51 when they have no doubts

On the Area51 theme have you ever sought out an alien discussion forums to tell them its all a figment of their imagination?!
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : So in short,you would have folded pre in both the hands i've posted?Am i correct in saying this?
    Posted by igimc
    i dont know the dynamics of the game but i would have to say no you should of shoved with the ak if you were not going to let it go therefore maybe taking the pot down uncontested.
    aq 7bb = shove (i think but ive never been down to 7bb)

gl,dave
  • edited January 2012
    My opinion on the 2 igmics hands....

I think the guy the 43 v AQ both players played ok.

Unless igmic is a massive nit, he's gonna be opening some hands that he wont be happy to go all in with.

The 43 guy has an awful hand, but he has a great stack size, 25xbb has plenty of fold equity which he needs when bluffing. If called he probably has like 30% equity against igmics calling range. Add in the times he takes the pot down uncontested n it's not THAT bad.....

But yea, it's sick n just shows how little edge there is in poker no matter that skill advantage you may have.

------

2nd igmic hand (AJ v AQ) the guy with AJ played his hand much worse than the guy with 43 in the previous hand imo. 

When he opens so big (4xbb @ 100/200) igmic (or anyone else) with 12xbb is never shoving over a massive open with worse than AJ. Because he/we know the open raiser is never folding. So we can't re-shove bluff to get a fold.........

This means the ONLY hands we are continuing with are ones which we believe are ahead of the 4x open. 

Obv not goood news for the 4xer. 

Both igmics plays r fine, (imo)

Don't love the 43o jam, but don't really hate it too much unless igmic is a mega nit. 

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : i dont know the dynamics of the game but i would have to say no you should of shoved with the ak if you were not going to let it go therefore maybe taking the pot down uncontested. aq 7bb = shove (i think but ive never been down to 7bb) gl,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Do you ever, and I mean ever! do anything but stick up for sky.Jesus open your eyes, at some point you must think someones hand and run is dodgy.
    Brainwashed or what, think for youself at some point.It's ok defending something but FFS not everyone can be wrong. 

I would hazzard a guess you stack shelves or something.Well maybe at the peak of your career.

Open your mind,pay attention and look.  
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : Do you ever, and I mean ever! do anything but stick up for sky.Jesus open your eyes, at some point you must think someones hand and run is dodgy. Brainwashed or what, think for youself at some point.It's ok defending something but FFS not everyone can be wrong.  I would hazzard a guess you stack shelves or something.Well maybe at the peak of your career. Open your mind,pay attention and look.  
    Posted by snorky
    the problem with players like you is that the cant take the rough with the smooth.
    try taking a look at your game and fixing leaks(it really does work)

for every hand you post that is a 80% favourite and loses i could post one that holds up.

I dont stack shelves for a living,but i certainly dont look down on those that do!

I infact wash wheelie bins for a living :(

but as i own the business and get £50 per hour and friday saturday and sundays off it aint all bad...

gl,dave
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : the problem with players like you is that the cant take the rough with the smooth. try taking a look at your game and fixing leaks(it really does work) for every hand you post that is a 80% favourite and loses i could post one that holds up. I dont stack shelves for a living,but i certainly dont look down on those that do! I infact wash wheelie bins for a living :( but as i own the business and get £50 per hour and friday saturday and sundays off it aint all bad... gl,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    I don't look down on people, people get what they deserve it is usually directly proportional to the effort they put in.
    I have little sympathy for people who wasted their time at school nor for the parents who allowed them to do so.
    But i do beleive in odds,I do beleive that if someone wins the lottery they will not win it again in their lifetime because the odds say they will not.
    And the problem with players like me is lol, is we beleive in odds and the odds do not stack up.We calculate the odds and base our decisions on likelyhood and data.I am not a nasty person and i am sure you're not but you do seem very certain that everything is cosher and my alarm bell and calculations tell me it is not.

Best of luck davez and sorry if i had a go.Frustration happens to everyone but whilst the game upsets me i wish no i'll feeling towards you. 

Good luck, know doubt my luck will change tommorrow.

appologies   
  • edited January 2012
    Hate the slurs in this bit of the forum towards pplz personal lives.

Obv u get everyone playing on sky from ppl who r signing on to professional sportsman, n everything inbwteen.

I don't get how calling someone a "shelf stacker" or a "binman" is any different to insulting someones intelligence.

Several times I've justified what I'm 'trying' to achieve, to people who accuse me of being a dole scrounger etc, when really they know nothing.

Is an aspiring poker pro any different to an aspiring musician? actor? sportsman? etc?.....

Obv most of us will fail and end up stacking shelves or whatever, but we understand that when we take on the challenge, why feel the need to slate people like that?

Not singling anyone out, but no doubt ppl on the forum are shelf stackers, or more unfortunately, unemployed, through no fault of their own,  and when they read such nonsense it can't go down well with them. 

It's a poker forum, why not stick to poker?
  • edited January 2012
    Hate the slurs in this bit of the forum towards pplz personal lives. Obv u get everyone playing on sky from ppl who r signing on to professional sportsman, n everything inbwteen. I don't get how calling someone a "shelf stacker" or a "binman" is any different to insulting someones intelligence. Several times I've justified what I'm 'trying' to achieve, to people who accuse me of being a dole scrounger etc, when really they know nothing. Is an aspiring poker pro any different to an aspiring musician? actor? sportsman? etc?..... Obv most of us will fail and end up stacking shelves or whatever, but we understand that when we take on the challenge, why feel the need to slate people like that? Not singling anyone out, but no doubt ppl on the forum are shelf stackers, or worse, unemployed, and when they read such nonsense it can't go down well with them.  It's a poker forum, why not stick to poker?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Because all of us are falible DOH.Sometimes it is easy to vent ones frustrations on a forum rather than let frustrations build up to something unhealthy.My appologies to all if i upset anyone.My personality is like my poker far from perfect but then again least i know, so it is a start.

Dofs Cap

glows red with shame

snorky
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : I don't look down on people, people get what they deserve it is usually directly proportional to the effort they put in. I have little sympathy for people who wasted their time at school nor for the parents who allowed them to do so. But i do beleive in odds,I do beleive that if someone wins the lottery they will not win it again in their lifetime because the odds say they will not. And the problem with players like me is lol, is we beleive in odds and the odds do not stack up.We calculate the odds and base or decisions on likelyhood and data.I am not a nasty person and i am sure you'r not but you do seem very certain that everything is cosher and my alarm bell and calculations tell me it is not. Best of luck davez and sorry if i had a go.Frustration happens to everyone but whilst the game upsets me i wish no i'll feeling towards you.  Good luck, know doubt my luck will change tommorrow. appologies   
    Posted by snorky
    ty....poker is the most frustrating game i know!,you can do everything right
     and still lose or everything wrong and still win!

you say you believe in odds but what are the odds of winning the lotto?(14m to 1) yet somebody wins it most weeks,so nearly every week a 14m/1 shot comes in!
    my belief is the odds on here do stack up its just at the mo they are not holding for you personally...how many hands are played on here every minute?..across the board i believe they even out.

not much help when it screws you/me though.

gl,dave

p.s...i also believe you are "not a nasty man"..:)
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : ty....poker is the most frustrating game i know!,you can do everything right  and still lose or everything wrong and still win! you say you believe in odds but what are the odds of winning the lotto?(14m to 1) yet somebody wins it most weeks,so nearly every week a 14m/1 shot comes in! my belief is the odds on here do stack up its just at the mo they are not holding for you personally...how many hands are played on here every minute?..across the board i believe they even out. not much help when it screws you/me though. gl,dave p.s...i also believe you are "not a nasty man"..:)
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Txs Daveyzz, sometimes i just lose it. I'm an idiot and i sincerely appologise.

BOL on the tables, i may have to take a break (well maybe not from the tables) but from the forums :)

snorky 
  • edited January 2012
    ..i also believe you are "not a nasty man"..:)
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

+1. far from it. 

Apologise if the rant seemed like it was aimed at you. T'wasn't.

N whoooooo cares anyway  eh? ;)

Al get bak to doing my roll :(
  • edited January 2012
    Do any of those who say sky poker is rigged ever play or watch live poker ?? If they did then they would see bad beats/bad play (call it whatever you like) on a regular basis. Then just multiply those bad beats etc 10 fold due to online playing that many more hands and hey presto theres your answer !!

Poker is a game of luck with a bit of skill thrown in. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Thats in my humble opinion anyway.

John

PS Love Dohhhhhhs posts and always learn something from him. 
  • edited January 2012
    Do any of those who say sky poker is rigged ever play or watch live poker ?? If they did then they would see bad beats/bad play (call it whatever you like) on a regular basis. Then just multiply those bad beats etc 10 fold due to online playing that many more hands and hey presto theres your answer !! Poker is a game of luck with a bit of skill thrown in. Just enjoy it for what it is. Thats in my humble opinion anyway. John PS Love Dohhhhhhs posts and always learn something from him. 
    Posted by JPW33
    Like most I couldnt disagree more.

Youre descibing speed dating
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : I don't look down on people, people get what they deserve it is usually directly proportional to the effort they put in. I have little sympathy for people who wasted their time at school nor for the parents who allowed them to do so. But i do beleive in odds,I do beleive that if someone wins the lottery they will not win it again in their lifetime because the odds say they will not. And the problem with players like me is lol, is we beleive in odds and the odds do not stack up.We calculate the odds and base our decisions on likelyhood and data.I am not a nasty person and i am sure you're not but you do seem very certain that everything is cosher and my alarm bell and calculations tell me it is not. Best of luck davez and sorry if i had a go.Frustration happens to everyone but whilst the game upsets me i wish no i'll feeling towards you.  Good luck, know doubt my luck will change tommorrow. appologies   
    Posted by snorky

A friend of mine, Mel, has won the Jackpot twice (2.6 and 3.2 million)- when I had the lottery installed in one of our shops, as a joke, I asked him to come to the shop and ''bless'' the machine and he duly obliged. Four weeks later we had the 8.1 million jackpot win to the 8 Wrexham nurses.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : A friend of mine, Mel, has won the Jackpot twice (2.6 and 3.2 million)- when I had the lottery installed in one of our shops, as a joke, I asked him to come to the shop and ''bless'' the machine and he duly obliged. Four weeks later we had the 8.1 million jackpot win to the 8 Wrexham nurses.
    Posted by elsadog

Seriously?  Odds plz :p
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : Like most I couldnt disagree more. Youre descibing speed dating
    Posted by AMYBR
    Never done speed dating so wouldnt know !! LOL Poker however has a massive amount of luck attached to it, and I cannot think of another game off hand where a poor player could actually beat the world champion on a given day. I realise over time the world champion would come out on top, but still illustrates the luck attached to poker.
    I may be exaggerated the luck part a little but Ive not seen "most" disagree. Having said that I am only a mediocre player so what do I know ??

The point I was making was that bad beats happen live and they are not rigged.
  • edited January 2012
    JamieGoldJamieGoldJamieGold.

:)

IMO you have the skill/luck ratio reversed but each to their own sir :)
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : Seriously?  Odds plz :p
    Posted by AMYBR

Yes seriously

The odds were 14 million to one - on both occasions.

Doesn't matter how many tickets you buy it's still 14 million to one.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : Seriously?  Odds plz :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    6/49 x 5/48 x 4/47 x 3/46 x 2/45 x 1/44 x 1!

= 13,983,816/1 to win the national lottery once, if you only buy one ticket. Obviously becomes more likely as you buy more tickets.

Depends how many tickets were purchased. If someone buys 50,000,000 tickets, they're bound to win the jackpot a couple of times, but if they only buy 100 tickets, then it's unlikely.

I think the chance of winning twice within a given period of time =

(1/13,983,816)^2 x (13,983,815/13,983,816)^(n-2) x (n(n-1)/2)

Where n is the number of tickets purchased within that time?
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : Yes seriously The odds were 14 million to one - on both occasions. Doesn't matter how many tickets you buy it's still 14 million to one.
    Posted by elsadog

Is he your friend because he bought the tickets in your shop?

Friend definately worth keeping :p
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : 6/49 x 5/48 x 4/47 x 3/46 x 2/45 x 1/44 x 1! = 13,983,816/1 to win the national lottery once, if you only buy one ticket. Obviously becomes more likely as you buy more tickets. Depends how many tickets were purchased. If someone buys 50,000,000 tickets, they're bound to win the jackpot a couple of times, but if they only buy 100 tickets, then it's unlikely. I think the chance of winning twice within a given period of time = (1/13,983,816)^2 x (13,983,815/13,983,816)^(n-2) x (n(n-1)/2) Where n is the number of tickets purchased within that time?
    Posted by EvilPingu
    I have no idea on the accuracy of this Pingu,,,,,,,   but it looks damned impressive anyways,, great work !
  • edited January 2012
    The odds are 14 million to one (approx) regardless of how many tickets you purchase - I was told that by the head statistician at Camelot a few years ago. All terminal holders undergo a training course at Camelot.

The only way to beat the odds is on a rollover draw. There is an anti-syndicate programme run in the event of a rollover.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : Is he your friend because he bought the tickets in your shop? Friend definately worth keeping :p
    Posted by AMYBR

He didn't buy them from me, but he's my neighbour. All shops that sell a jackpot ticket get the same commission - 5p

• edited January 2012
    JamieGoldJamieGoldJamieGold. :) IMO you have the skill/luck ratio reversed but each to their own sir :)
    Posted by AMYBR
    do not understand jamie gold thing, please explain. but yes a good player such as yourself probaly thinks its more skill than luck. As I said Im not a good player...........................yet !!!!
  • edited January 2012
    It's a skill game but luck plays it's part.

There are online players who have consistently shown a profit for many years. This applies to all formats - mtts, cash, and stts. If it was predominently down to luck almost everyone would be a loser over time.
    Winning and losing would be spread equally between players and the rake would take it's toll on everyone.
    The only winners would be those lucky enough to win a big tournament. As there are players who regularly win big tournaments, luck must be a minor factor.
  • edited January 2012
    The odds are 14 million to one (approx) regardless of how many tickets you purchase- I was told that by the head statistician at Camelot a few years ago. All terminal holders undergo a training course at Camelot. The only way to beat the odds is on a rollover draw. There is an anti-syndicate programme run in the event of a rollover.
    Posted by elsadog
    thats what i thought only six numbers can come out so each ticket is 14m /1.

if you bought all 14m combinations you must have (personally) an even? chance of winning.
    although whichever ticket wins still does so at odds of 14m/1?

what is an anti-syndicate rollover btw?

dave
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : thats what i thought only six numbers can come out so each ticket is 14m /1. if you bought all 14m combinations you must have (personally) an even? chance of winning. although whichever ticket wins still does so at odds of 14m/1? what is an anti-syndicate rollover btw? dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

Buying 14 million tickets won't work - buying all 14 million combinations will obviously, but it has to be a seriously big rollover to be profitable - even then it's not certain because someone else could also have the winning numbers and so it would be a split jackpot.

Syndicates have tried in the past to take advantage of rollovers (mostly in the early days when the pool was much bigger, Camelot have a programme that kicks in on rollovers to look for syndicates covering all the combinations. Every terminal in every shop is linked directly into the Camelot server via the telephone system. Buying up all combinations is against the rules.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : thats what i thought only six numbers can come out so each ticket is 14m /1. if you bought all 14m combinations you must have (personally) an even? chance of winning. although whichever ticket wins still does so at odds of 14m/1? what is an anti-syndicate rollover btw? dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    If you bought all 14 million combinations you wouldn't have an even chance of winning (even chance is 50-50), you would have 100% chance of winning. Unfortunately, you would never win enough to get your investment back unless it was a double or triple rollover and there were no other winners that week.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SHOULD SKY POKER CHANGE ITS NAME TO SKY JOKER : Buying 14 million tickets won't work - buying all 14 million combinations will obviously, but it has to be a seriously big rollover to be profitable - even then it's not certain because someone else could also have the winning numbers and so it would be a split jackpot. Syndicates have tried in the past to take advantage of rollovers (mostly in the early days when the pool was much bigger, Camelot have a programme that kicks in on rollovers to look for syndicates covering all the combinations. Every terminal in every shop is linked directly into the Camelot server via the telephone system. Buying up all combinations is against the rules.
    Posted by elsadog
    yea buying 14m tickets to win the average 3/4m is defo -ev :)

interesting about the syndicates though