You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Seen as Doh is crying, I'll join in and say of course 4NL is beatable. I used it to build my roll up quite a bit a while ago. As people have said, it's about patience and solid ABC poker. Yes it can feel sick when you're running bad and you keep losing when you're 70%+ favourite but I'm sure this is true at any level and it will never last.
  • edited April 2012

to put it simply, you're not good enough. and if you're asking proven winning online players for advice, and then ignoring them, then I cannot see that changing
  • edited April 2012
    Ok im not saying ive ever played perfect poker at NL4 but i could pick you 000's of hand i have a monster outdrawn by any random two. NOT JUST AT NL4 but most of them well be. Everytime this happens, Everyone says folding these monster hands is bad because i beat so much of his range since his range is any two cards. As a result i look like a complete pleb losing the max.

Ive beaten much harder opponents consistantly yet i cant beat NL4, Im not saying im perfect, im just better than the players calling massive raises OOP with ATC and getting lucky. Im not saying that i should just find £200 out of nowhere and start playing NL20. But im telling you at least ill be allowed to 3bet fold my AK v a tight player. Ill be allowed to fold my aces on a board that reads T29K3 because im allowed to put them on a set or two pair as it now makes up a "massive" part of their range.

IMO micro stake poker isnt poker. Yes its the same game but no matter what hand you hold 3 - 6 way your odds are reduced massivley. As a result you get a player like me. Stuck unable to beat a level because hands that should be HU hand between me and one other person suddenly gets every guy in the world thinking "ohhhh ive hit bottom pair in a 9bet pre flop action i must go all in here" turn gives them to pair. Now im the fish.

Sighhhhhhhhhhh

Rant over.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level.:
    to put it simply, you're not good enough. and if you're asking proven winning online players for advice, and then ignoring them, then I cannot see that changing
    Posted by SHANXTA
    This a pop at me?  I dont think my posts on the matter could have been more balanced and fair and I'm pretty sure I dont deserve the tone your using.

But thats your choice.  I suggest you read a bit more before making a rude remark
  • edited April 2012
    It's obvious where you're going wrong you just need to look at it. I've only just started to show a minor profit at this level after playing them since July last year.

You're making so many mistakes pre and post flop IMO.

The key to breaking even at this level is to play strongly with your strong hands and fold anything where you're less than 100%. For instance, going all in with the JJ. With the re-raise coming you're only ever going to be behind, so shoving is horrendously bad i think (people may disagree). I've found with hands like this to see a flop, check for no scare cards and then gauge your opponents reaction - doing this in position is key also. If nothing comes then it's no shame to just bin them if you're getting bad odds to call given the pre-flop action. People at this level usually only bet when they've got it.

Another thing i've noticed about my own game - i've lost an awful lot on bad pre-flop cards when i've been allowed to limp in with them on the big blind and have caught a piece of the flop. "GREAT!" you think, when you've hit top pair. Only to find out you're outkicked. The thing about betting with anything less than massive premium pairs and face cards when you've been allowed to limp in is you have absolutely zero idea of what your opponent is holding. Now i will often fold top pair, mid-kicker when facing a large bet if i've been allowed to limp in. People might say this is crazy but it seems to be saving me money.

Some of the hands you posted are coolers and some are just plain unlucky but a fair few of them are down to bad play on your part.

I think you need to tighten up your range at this level also :)

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level.:
    It's obvious where you're going wrong you just need to look at it. I've only just started to show a minor profit at this level after playing them since July last year. You're making so many mistakes pre and post flop IMO. The key to breaking even at this level is to play strongly with your strong hands and fold anything where you're less than 100%. For instance, going all in with the JJ. With the re-raise coming you're only ever going to be behind, so shoving is horrendously bad i think (people may disagree). I've found with hands like this to see a flop, check for no scare cards and then gauge your opponents reaction - doing this in position is key also. If nothing comes then it's no shame to just bin them if you're getting bad odds to call given the pre-flop action. People at this level usually only bet when they've got it. Another thing i've noticed about my own game - i've lost an awful lot on bad pre-flop cards when i've been allowed to limp in with them and have caught a piece of the flop. "GREAT!" you think, when you've hit top pair. Only to find out you're outkicked. The thing about betting with anything less than massive premium pairs and face cards when you've been allowed to limp in is you have absolutely zero idea of what your opponent is holding. Now i will often fold top pair, mid-kicker when facing a large bet if i've been allowed to limp in. People might say this is crazy but it seems to be saving me money. Some of the hands you posted are coolers and some are just plain unlucky but a fair few of them are down to bad play on your part. I think you need to tighten up your range at this level also :)
    Posted by Pipunch
    I suggest you look at these hands where i am "limping" again. ALL OF THE LIMPS ARE CHECKS. This is obviously different.

The Q9 is a fold, suspect i was on tilt by that stage and the 84 i played badly post flop.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Myehh... Nice post bud.  Kind of humbled me. You could easily have been less pleasant about it, thankyou for such a balanced inciteful reply.  You prob know more about the inner workings of my game than anyone here - so might see why that level of grinding/patience may be beyond me. Your right about adapting being a key skill - and put it very well.  I suspect your totally right, but have to counter it with - how much effort would it be to adjust out of it?  But I imagine the correct answer is that that is another key skill. I didnt mean to imply that micro is worthless, which is probably how it came across.  What I was really trying to say is that if you have a winning game at micros, that same game would almost universally translate to higher levels being mid level.  So I question the value of grinding the micro when we can grind higher with the same game and less variance & rake.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I struggled when i moved up to NL8 and was suddenly the fish on the table which was full of decent NL4 rgs attempting to move up but with time and help in the clinic i got the hang of it and have won approx 15 BI's at NL8 after losing quite a few at the start. My NL8 game transfers well at NL10 and i havent had a go at NL20 yet although it doesnt hold many fears from what i have seen, although no doubt it will be tougher still.

I think adapting your game is vital in poker whether you are playing NL100 or NL4. If, for some unknown reason, i found myself on a table with the regs at NL4 when i was there (dudeskin, thedon, rancid, junglegeek,zedsdeadba, tintin, harding10 etc) i would know they would be good enough to lay down top pair on certain boards whereas if i am on a table of your 'kamikaze's' i would know i couldnt get them off and just wait for a better spot. I suppose when you play at a live event you will quickly realise the players who are unbluffable and adjust your game when heads up with them. Its the same at NL4/NL8/NL10. Some players are better than others and you have to know if they are capable of a big laydown or not. Thats your edge.

I know you were'nt implying micros are worthless but it does rankle slightly when some people say its unbeatable when it is probably the easiest level you can ever play. Whats not to like about people refusing to fold hands? Give me that every day of the week. One hand i remember from months ago was i had AA in the big blind and pretty much everybody limped (it was a 10 handed table), i shoved 100xbb in the middle and got called by 2,3 hearts. He obviously hit his flush but how good is that? Who doesnt want him on the table. He got there that time but let me tell you that he must have passed a fair amount to me over the few times i played him both before and after. I was actually quite happy about losing as it meant he carried on playing for a few more months. If they dont get lucky then they will never play again.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : I suggest you look at these hands where i am "limping" again. ALL OF THE LIMPS ARE CHECKS. This is obviously different. The Q9 is a fold, suspect i was on tilt by that stage and the 84 i played badly post flop.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Ok by limping in i meant being allowed in for free on the blind. Sorry for the incorrect terminology. There's no need for that tone. Whatever else is said, you've been playing marginal hands as if you had the nuts, despite evidence from your opponent that you're well beat, and then complain when you lose.
  • edited April 2012
    I actually played some NL4 today after seeing this post because i started to miss it. Its good fun, absolutely crazy, never knowing what they are going to turn over.

Just gonna post some hands, not for people to analyse really, just to show what people play like. These are the winning pots over 50p during my session. Hope you dont mind don! Sorry if its a bit hijacky, just thought i would post some ranges to be found at NL4.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DrSharp Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.59
    jwbrown Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.05
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

FlashHarry Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.51
    honestpaul Call  £0.04 £0.14 £1.66
    jackblack_ Call  £0.04 £0.18 £2.62
    DapperD4n Fold     
    DrSharp Raise  £0.36 £0.54 £4.23
    jwbrown Fold     
    FlashHarry Fold     
    honestpaul Fold     
    jackblack_ Call  £0.34 £0.88 £2.28
    Flop

• J

DrSharp Check     
    jackblack_ Check     
    Turn

DrSharp Check     
    jackblack_ Check     
    River

• K

DrSharp Check     
    jackblack_ Bet  £0.44 £1.32 £1.84
    DrSharp Call  £0.44 £1.76 £3.79
    jackblack_ Show
    • K

DrSharp Show
    • A
    • K

DrSharp Win Two Pairs, Kings and 10s £1.62
    jackblack_ Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.01
    DapperD4n Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.76
    helmutic15 Big blind  £0.04 £0.10 £2.36
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

DrSharp Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £5.21
    jwbrown Fold     
    helmutic15 Fold     
    FlashHarry Fold     
    honestpaul Call  £0.20 £0.50 £1.46
    jackblack_ Fold     
    DapperD4n Call  £0.16 £0.66 £4.60
    Flop

• J

DapperD4n Bet  £0.20 £0.86 £4.40
    DrSharp Raise  £1.00 £1.86 £4.21
    honestpaul Fold     
    DapperD4n Raise  £1.64 £3.50 £2.76
    DrSharp All-in  £4.21 £7.71 £0.00
    DapperD4n All-in  £2.76 £10.47 £0.00
    DrSharp Unmatched bet  £0.61 £9.86 £0.61
    DapperD4n Show

DrSharp Show
    • Q
    • Q

Turn

• A

River

DrSharp Win Pair of Queens £9.12
    helmutic15 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.48
    jackblack_ Sitout     
    DrSharp Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £9.76
      Your hole cards

jwbrown Call  £0.04 £0.10 £1.95
    helmutic15 Call  £0.02 £0.12 £2.46
    DrSharp Check     
    Flop

• K

helmutic15 Bet  £0.09 £0.21 £2.37
    DrSharp Raise  £0.39 £0.60 £9.37
    jwbrown Fold     
    helmutic15 Call  £0.30 £0.90 £2.07
    Turn

helmutic15 Check     
    DrSharp Bet  £1.00 £1.90 £8.37
    helmutic15 Call  £1.00 £2.90 £1.07
    River

helmutic15 All-in  £1.07 £3.97 £0.00
    DrSharp Call  £1.07 £5.04 £7.30
    helmutic15 Show
    • K

DrSharp Show

DrSharp Win Three 9s £4.66
    honestpaul Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.44
    DrSharp Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £11.92
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

jwbrown Fold     
    honestpaul Call  £0.02 £0.08 £1.42
    DrSharp Raise  £0.12 £0.20 £11.80
    honestpaul Call  £0.12 £0.32 £1.30
    Flop

• Q

honestpaul Bet  £0.12 £0.44 £1.18
    DrSharp All-in  £11.80 £12.24 £0.00
    honestpaul All-in  £1.18 £13.42 £0.00
    DrSharp Unmatched bet  £10.50 £2.92 £10.50
    honestpaul Show
    • Q

DrSharp Show
    • A
    • A

Turn

River

DrSharp Win Two Pairs, Aces and 6s £2.70
    Who doesnt want that?
  • edited April 2012
    I hear what your saying bud.  For me it is the multiple seats that wont fold that is the issue. 

As already said, its not an insult to micro players.  Its just that I think they can play the same game higher, still be profitable, likely experience less variance (& self lvling) and pay less rake.

If someone is making a profit at micros, despite the elements counting against it, then more credit to them.  As I said I know nl50 games that play farrrrrrrrrrrr worse.

I guess despite my efforts its obv coming off as insulting but didnt mean it that way.

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : This a pop at me?  I dont think my posts on the matter could have been more balanced and fair and I'm pretty sure I dont deserve the tone your using. But thats your choice.  I suggest you read a bit more before making a rude remark
    Posted by AMYBR
    this wasn't even aimed at you
  • edited April 2012

Another point i would like to make. It may come across as a bit braggish and maybe a bit of a dig at the don some of the things i have said/posted but me and don have spoken about this before. Don has a good game and he has a very good understanding of the game and he has said to me before that he may overthink things at NL4 and i do think thats his problem.

He once won a decent sized pot against me at NL4 (big regarding no of BB's) with something like 4,5 suited vs my A,Q. I dont think the don realises that playing 4,5 suited is spewy at this level. As DOHHHHHHH's strategy says, its all about getting value for your big hands. 4,5 suited, unless really priced in, should not be anywhere near our range when attempting to beat NL4.

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Ok by limping in i meant being allowed in for free on the blind. Sorry for the incorrect terminology. There's no need for that tone. Whatever else is said, you've been playing marginal hands as if you had the nuts, despite evidence from your opponent that you're well beat, and then complain when you lose.
    Posted by Pipunch
    OK lets look at the hands i checked

84hh flopped second pair + flush draw, 50% equity against most hands, Played turn terrible admitted.

TJo - flopped the nuts

67 - Flopped 2 pair potted, bet folded turn when i suspected i was behind.

Any more to comment on this?
  • edited April 2012
    Another point i would like to make. It may come across as a bit braggish and maybe a bit of a dig at the don some of the things i have said/posted but me and don have spoken about this before. Don has a good game and he has a very good understanding of the game and he has said to me before that he may overthink things at NL4 and i do think thats his problem. He once won a decent sized pot against me at NL4 (big regarding no of BB's) with something like 4,5 suited vs my A,Q. I dont think the don realises that playing 4,5 suited is spewy at this level. As DOHHHHHHH's strategy says, its all about getting value for your big hands. 4,5 suited, unless really priced in, should not be anywhere near our range when attempting to beat NL4.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Ive actually changed my raising range to AQ+ pre now. Trying to keep calling range to this too. The issue is with this is the seriousness and bordom.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : this wasn't even aimed at you
    Posted by SHANXTA
    In that case I apologise, just couldnt see who else they were aimed at?

Again my apologies.

Seemed oddly out of character for you.
  • edited April 2012
    Another point i would like to make. It may come across as a bit braggish and maybe a bit of a dig at the don some of the things i have said/posted but me and don have spoken about this before. Don has a good game and he has a very good understanding of the game and he has said to me before that he may overthink things at NL4 and i do think thats his problem. He once won a decent sized pot against me at NL4 (big regarding no of BB's) with something like 4,5 suited vs my A,Q. I dont think the don realises that playing 4,5 suited is spewy at this level. As DOHHHHHHH's strategy says, its all about getting value for your big hands. 4,5 suited, unless really priced in, should not be anywhere near our range when attempting to beat NL4.
    Posted by DrSharp
    This is a question, not an argument or debate starter.

I think mostly played @ NL 20 & 50 on sky & havent read dohs well received doc on NL4 strategy.  Its not an ego or snob thing, just that I need the amounts to be reasonable or I will just not play my game & will b a pure payoff wizard (even more so)

But from what you say about the 45 hand:

Are we just not going to play any hand of equity because its micro stakes?  I have replied in many threads talking about losing min vb max and creating windows of opportunity.  But is the range of hands we advocate playing at NL4 really that tight?  esp when we feel oppos will pay us off on favourable boards?
  • edited April 2012
    I hear what your saying bud.  For me it is the multiple seats that wont fold that is the issue.  As already said, its not an insult to micro players.  Its just that I think they can play the same game higher, still be profitable, likely experience less variance (& self lvling) and pay less rake. If someone is making a profit at micros, despite the elements counting against it, then more credit to them.  As I said I know nl50 games that play farrrrrrrrrrrr worse. I guess despite my efforts its obv coming off as insulting but didnt mean it that way.
    Posted by AMYBR
    No, its not coming across as insulting one bit. I like to think you and I can be fairly blunt with each other.

As for multiway pots, we need a really big hand to continue multiway, i'm talking flopping 2 pair +. As you see from the AK hand i posted, if you raise big enough, you will isolate. If you keep getting called multiway, bet even bigger. On certain tables i will just open shove 100xbb at NL4 with big pairs knowing the table is that loose i will get a call. Can i do it at NL8, no, it doesnt work, but at NL4 you will often find a call from any hand like pocket 2's upwards along with hands like J,10+ alot of the time.

Is it correct poker? No, not really, but its profitable against some of the opponents you are up against and then we are back to adapting to your surroundings.

Its been a very good learnng tool for me and to be fair i learnt alot from Dons original thread 'taking on NL4'. Loads of hand histories in there to disect, not necessarily Dons plays and the analysis given on them but also the ranges of a typical recreational player at NL4.

Honestly, the way it is sometimes described as unbeatable is laughable, i dont understand it. Don beat it once and maybe, just maybe moved up too soon but he may tell you different. Me and DOHHHHHHH disagreed on the amount of BI's needed to move up. He knows how to beat it, he just doesnt seem to handle the swings and beats so well.

(Sorry for talking about you as a third person on your thread Don)

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : In that case I apologise, just couldnt see who else they were aimed at? Again my apologies. Seemed oddly out of character for you.
    Posted by AMYBR
    i believe it was aimed at me,

Also shanxta i wa styping the very following post was getting typed as you posted so i hadnt seen it. was aimed in general.

May i ask when ive ignored people?
  • edited April 2012
    Currently playing nl4 again, and winning, after withdrawing in March and having a break from cash.

I was a better than break even player at mtt's and stt's before playing cash.

When I first started nl4 I was break even rather than profitable but took the view that it meant I had leaks in my game, worked at it and improved. I know that to move up will require more skills, but making moves on players atnl4 who aren't good enough to fold is setting fire to money

It is beatable, and once you can beat it you should always have something to fall back on.

The uber nitty play hasn't done my mtt results any good but the cash profit is more than covering that..

Hopefully will have a pop at moving up a bit come the Autumn, but not interested in putting any volume in at the moment. Don't currently have the BR to play higher and won't be depositing to attempt to move up.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Ive actually changed my raising range to AQ+ pre now. Trying to keep calling range to this too. The issue is with this is the seriousness and bordom.
    Posted by The_Don90
    lol. You've got it! :-D
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : OK lets look at the hands i checked 84hh flopped second pair + flush draw, 50% equity against most hands, Played turn terrible admitted. TJo - flopped the nuts 67 - Flopped 2 pair potted, bet folded turn when i suspected i was behind. Any more to comment on this?
    Posted by The_Don90
    I love people like you. I was trying to be constructive and let you know where i found i was losing money and yet you just attack me (okay you're not all out insulting me, but you're clearly having a dig).

You obviously don't need my thoughts or anyone elses on the matter as you just analysed your own play. Carry on losing and then whining that the players are bad.

Flopped top pair (the almighty 8) and also had a nowhere-near-the-nuts flush draw. You were in so good the only mistake you made is not re-mortgaging so you could get even more money in.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : No, its not coming across as insulting one bit. I like to think you and I can be fairly blunt with each other. As for multiway pots, we need a really big hand to continue multiway, i'm talking flopping 2 pair +. As you see from the AK hand i posted, if you raise big enough, you will isolate. If you keep getting called multiway, bet even bigger. On certain tables i will just open shove 100xbb at NL4 with big pairs knowing the table is that loose i will get a call. Can i do it at NL8, no, it doesnt work, but at NL4 you will often find a call from any hand like pocket 2's upwards along with hands like J,10+ alot of the time. Is it correct poker? No, not really, but its profitable against some of the opponents you are up against and then we are back to adapting to your surroundings. Its been a very good learnng tool for me and to be fair i learnt alot from Dons original thread 'taking on NL4'. Loads of hand histories in there to disect, not necessarily Dons plays and the analysis given on them but also the ranges of a typical recreational player at NL4. Honestly, the way it is sometimes described as unbeatable is laughable, i dont understand it. Don beat it once and maybe, just maybe moved up too soon but he may tell you different. Me and DOHHHHHHH disagreed on the amount of BI's needed to move up. He knows how to beat it, he just doesnt seem to handle the swings and beats so well. (Sorry for talking about you as a third person on your thread Don)
    Posted by DrSharp
    No worries.

Ive actually moved up on two occassions. Once getting as high as NL20. took a shot on a show table done brilliant and moved back to my normal NL20 the next night and ran bad, played bad, lost. Simply everything went bad.

The second time, i got to NL10 and i suspect this is the one youll be talking about. I managed to get to £230 ran bad and didnt move back down after a bad session. This was an obvious mistake.

The issue i have at NL4 is imo you have to be rolled. Thats something that i aint, and lets face it im not the tightest player in history. As i once stated nl4 makes me feel like a brain dead ape. I know it sounds strange but im a far better player when opponents are making me make a desision. Weather it be "am i good here/" or "how much should i be value betting".
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : I love people like you. I was trying to be constructive and let you know where i found i was losing money and yet you just attack me (okay you're not all out insulting me, but you're clearly having a dig). You obviously don't need my thoughts or anyone elses on the matter as you just analysed your own play. Carry on losing and then whining that the players are bad. Flopped top pair (the almighty 8) and also had a nowhere-near-the-nuts flush draw. You were in so good the only mistake you made is not re-mortgaging so you could get even more money in.
    Posted by Pipunch
    Right firstly im not having a dig. I believe you told me to tighten up my checking range, Im not sure on how im meant to do that so i asked for clarification. I then broguht the 3 hands up that i checked, and put my point asking if you wanted to add anything more to this. Youve taken it as an insult then so be it, but i believe thats because you dont know me or how i intend things to be taken.

Also i said 50% equity against most hands. I said i spewed on the turn. but i believe i got 2 callers with 2 worse hands no draw on the flop. One of which had one out.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : This is a question, not an argument or debate starter. I think mostly played @ NL 20 & 50 on sky & havent read dohs well received doc on NL4 strategy.  Its not an ego or snob thing, just that I need the amounts to be reasonable or I will just not play my game. But from what you say about the 45 hand: Are we just not going to play any hand of equity because its micro stakes?  I have replied in many threads talking about losing min vb max and creating windows of opportunity.  But is the range of hands we advocate playing at NL4 really that tight?
    Posted by AMYBR
    Yes it really is that tight.

At NL8 an NL10 i may play 4,5 in position but at NL4 i'd just fold. If i am playing 4,5 suited at a higher level i am not just hoping to hit 2 pair+ to continue but looking for the boards which will let me take the hand down at a later street in position. Thats fine if we are playing people who can read the dangers on the board. At NL4, the thinking is literally, 'i have pocket 8's, i have a monster, i will put all my chips in the middle' even if there is an Ah,Qh,10h flop. They dont even need the 8h mate. The other issue is that mostly players will not be 100xbb deep so the implied odds can be very poor for hands like 4,5suited. You cant turn your hand in to a bluff so there is just not enough value in speculative hands like this, even in position.

In all honesty AMYBR, just give DOHHHHHHH's thing a read, it doesnt matter if you dont play at these levels its just really well written and explains probably better than i ever will the way to beat NL4. It will take you 10 minutes at most. Pass it on to your mate.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-school/beat-small-stakes-cash-games-1?tracking=pokersleftnav

Obviously not forcing you to read it but it may explain better than i can.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : No worries. Ive actually moved up on two occassions. Once getting as high as NL20. took a shot on a show table done brilliant and moved back to my normal NL20 the next night and ran bad, played bad, lost. Simply everything went bad. The second time, i got to NL10 and i suspect this is the one youll be talking about. I managed to get to £230 ran bad and didnt move back down after a bad session. This was an obvious mistake. The issue i have at NL4 is imo you have to be rolled. Thats something that i aint, and lets face it im not the tightest player in history. As i once stated nl4 makes me feel like a brain dead ape. I know it sounds strange but im a far better player when opponents are making me make a desision. Weather it be "am i good here/" or "how much should i be value betting".
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yeah, this is what we have spoken about before. Interesting how you bring up being properly rolled. As you say, your not the tightest player (should be at NL4 lol) so the 20xBI level is, in my opinion, too small for your game. Your last effort at beating cash as you say ended when poor discipline let you down by not moving back down stakes fast enough when on a downswing. This brings up another point i would like to put to you, you seem to be in a rush to move up. I did the same and have learnt to just hang on a bit longer prior to moving up. This will make you laugh, i now sit with well over £500 in my skypoker account but i am still hanging around at NL8 and NL10 alot purely because when i had onl 20xBI for a level i felt under pressure not to lose a BI whereas now at NL8 i have approx 70xBI for NL8 and 54xBI for NL10 and i dont care if i lose a few BI's on a night. Also lets me multi table with ease at these levels. Might be excessive, but i feel my game is alot more relaxed and less forced now than when i had £50 at NL4.
  • edited April 2012
    Ok then no worries. I was just trying to say how i have lost money on the big blind not criticising your play specifically.

Anyway, i'm far from an expert but how i would get away from these hands:

84h - bin them once raised on turn.

QQ - depending on the opponent i fold in fear of the king but at this level probably call the all in.

JJ - insta fold to such a strong raise.

Q9 - insta fold, wouldn't even make up the small blind.
  • edited April 2012
    Ty again for feed back sharpy, but I've laid out my game to you (for my benefit aswell as yours) so you should know that that isnt the kind of NLHE I'm able to play.

Most of my game is disguising range with constant aggression.  I just dont think i could play a format where all my value comes from my oppos making constant mistakes and my strong hands holding vs draws.

I will read dohs thing as I hear its good.

The don, dont see a point where you've been out of line in this thread tbh, but I;ll look closer :p
  • edited April 2012
    Ty again for feed back sharpy, but I've laid out my game to you (for my benefit aswell as yours) so you should know that that isnt the kind of NLHE I'm able to play. Most of my game is disguising range with constant aggression.  I just dont think i could play a format where all my value comes from my oppos making constant mistakes and my strong hands holding vs draws. I will read dohs thing as I hear its good. The don, dont see a point where you've been out of line in this thread tbh, but I;ll look closer :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    Yeah, understand your stance on this. I think your view mirrors that of Dons and thats why he sometimes struggles with it. It really is a patience thing and multi tabling is a must. A mate at work plays one table at NL4, i dont know how he does it. I need at least 4 going just to keep the hands coming.

As usual, its good talking these things through.

At Don, are you giving NL4 a go again then or you finished for good?
  • edited April 2012
    Ok im not saying ive ever played perfect poker at NL4 but i could pick you 000's of hand i have a monster outdrawn by any random two. NOT JUST AT NL4 but most of them well be. Everytime this happens, Everyone says folding these monster hands is bad because i beat so much of his range since his range is any two cards. As a result i look like a complete pleb losing the max. Ive beaten much harder opponents consistantly yet i cant beat NL4, Im not saying im perfect, im just better than the players calling massive raises OOP with ATC and getting lucky. Im not saying that i should just find £200 out of nowhere and start playing NL20. But im telling you at least ill be allowed to 3bet fold my AK v a tight player. Ill be allowed to fold my aces on a board that reads T29K3 because im allowed to put them on a set or two pair as it now makes up a "massive" part of their range. IMO micro stake poker isnt poker. Yes its the same game but no matter what hand you hold 3 - 6 way your odds are reduced massivley. As a result you get a player like me. Stuck unable to beat a level because hands that should be HU hand between me and one other person suddenly gets every guy in the world thinking "ohhhh ive hit bottom pair in a 9bet pre flop action i must go all in here" turn gives them to pair. Now im the fish. Sighhhhhhhhhhh Rant over.
    Posted by The_Don90
    15k hands, 12bb/100 win rate here - fairly small sample size but shows that yes, 4NL is beatable. 

I seem to remember a while ago, you were posting 4NL hands in A51 and BBV all the time too? Withdraw a couple of 4NL buy-ins, download the free PC Kindle app, and buy "The Mental Game of Poker". Or buy the book itself for a couple of quid more and keep it in the toilet or something )

Seems like some "Hellmuth Tilt" going on here to me - when you get your money in ahead, you feel as if you're entitled to the pot, and you tilt when you don't win, or you see someone win a pot with 84o and think "That idiot shouldn't be in the pot and he's taken my money". Simple fact of the matter is that if you keep getting your money in as a favourite, you'll make money. It's the same at 4NL and 1000NL.

Imagine you and a villain both put £4 in the middle pre-flop, KK vs A6 for example, and you have 70% chance of winning the hand. Which also means your opponent wins the pot 30% of the time.
    Do that 100 times and you'll win the £8 pot 70 times. You've bet a total of £400 and won £560, so £1.60 for every time this happens. Therefore, instead of thinking "I've just lost £4 to this idiot calling all in with A6 and getting lucky", imagine you've actually won £1.60 every single time you get into that spot, and forget about the result altogether.

Embrace the bad beats, too. Bad players getting lucky is what keeps bad players playing. If you were playing a game with much less variance, where the bad player hardly ever wins, they'd lose their money and give up as they never win anything. The variance is what makes Poker attractive to fish as it allows them to win in the short term.

You also seem to have a massive lack of confidence with 4NL. I remember before you were asking to be staked for UKIPT Nottingham on the Facebook DTD page IIRC, you seemed a lot more confident than you do about 4NL - Look where that confidence got you. Weren't you chip leader at one stage? You can be chip leader in a £770 tournament but can't beat 4NL? You're good enough at Poker to beat 4NL, and much higher levels too, but the Mental side of your game needs some serious work IMO.
  • edited April 2012
    we all think we are good at poker no 1 admits they are bad shanxta thinks im a poor player but tbh i dnt care i seen lots of floors in hes game which i wnt mention my notes on him cant fit enuogh words on the yellow box loool