You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level.

124»

Comments

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level.:
    ive been made aware of this thread by someone on twitter and have been asked to post some thoughts. im gonna re read the whole thread coz i cant believe its got this long so i dont want to say too much just now. all i will say just now is, i am a massive winner at this level over a long period so i guess i know a thing or 2 in how to beat it. and what dohhhhh said above i finished march around £750 up just at nl4
    Posted by TINTIN
    Over what period was the £750 made?

No doubting you, i see you winning constantly on the tables, just curious as i start to build my own roll up at this level.

• edited April 2012

from looking at the hands don posted, most of it isnt unusual. there is a couple played horribly but others have already mentioned about them so no point going over it again.

i do think don tries to over analyze things too much for this level. sometimes you just gotta take the beat n move on to the nxt hand.

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level.:
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Over what period was the £750 made? No doubting you, i see you winning constantly on the tables, just curious as i start to build my own roll up at this level.
    Posted by Pipunch
    that was just in march
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : that was just in march
    Posted by TINTIN
    Wow. That is phenomenal. I know you win cause every game i see you in you're sat there with £6+ but i didn't think it was that much!
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Wow. That is phenomenal. I know you win cause every game i see you in you're sat there with £6+ but i didn't think it was that much!
    Posted by Pipunch
    i was running good as well, you take heaters when you get them, that was an exceptional month i will admit it. a usual month is normally between £200-£300 for the grind. it sounds a lot but so is the amount of hands i play
  • edited April 2012
    play super nitty and it will come i suppose if u play loose aggro you wont get far at this level maybe im wrong
  • edited April 2012
    I literally don't have any idea what more can be said on this topic that hasn't been said again and again for 12+ months.

Bet big hands, fold small ones, don't semi-bluff draws, just check/call (if you have the odds), make your hand, pile in the money. Sometimes you get bad beated, put note on player saying 'idiot called my shove with a gutshot', then rinse and repeat.
  • edited April 2012
    I literally don't have any idea what more can be said on this topic that hasn't been said again and again for 12+ months. Bet big hands, fold small ones, don't semi-bluff draws, just check/call (if you have the odds), make your hand, pile in the money. Sometimes you get bad beated, put note on player saying 'idiot called my shove with a gutshot', then rinse and repeat.
    Posted by Lambert180
    you pretty much nailed it.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : i was running good as well, you take heaters when you get them, that was an exceptional month i will admit it. a usual month is normally between £200-£300 for the grind. it sounds a lot but so is the amount of hands i play
    Posted by TINTIN
    Aside from all this moaning abuot 4NL being unbeatable... I'd say 95%+ of us know that's nonsense but I must say TinTin, that is a mighty fine month's worth of profit from 4NL!!

How many tables do you play and how many hours dya do a day/week/month if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I always said that it was virtually impossible to get anything meaningful from C4P via 4NL but if you've played 300k in 2012 alone, you must have earned a few points along the way... what's an average number of poker points for you at 4NL in a month?
  • edited April 2012

Ok hope not to bore you. I had a session before. I had £13 in account and spoke to dohhh, i said id short multitable giving me some leeway. He suggested just play 3 tables with the max. i reluctantly accepted on the basis that he'd watch via team viewer. this way we could discuss as we go.

Ill post some hands, as i still finnished down, although i think these are all pretty standard but would still like some discussion.

Hand 1) Not actually happy with my play pre but i knew one oppo would likley pay me if i hit. Although still not happy with it.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Brode Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.28
    The_Don90 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.07
     Your hole cards
    • Q

daviddev17 Fold     
    lowlife Fold     
    MARYBOBBIN Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £1.83
    Brode Call  £0.10 £0.28 £3.18
    The_Don90 Call  £0.08 £0.36 £2.99
    Flop

• K

Brode Bet  £0.04 £0.40 £3.14
    The_Don90 Call  £0.04 £0.44 £2.95
    MARYBOBBIN Call  £0.04 £0.48 £1.79
    Turn

• Q

Brode Bet  £0.04 £0.52 £3.10
    The_Don90 Raise  £0.46 £0.98 £2.49
    MARYBOBBIN Fold     
    Brode Call  £0.42 £1.40 £2.68
    River

Brode Check     
    The_Don90 Bet  £1.05 £2.45 £1.44
    Brode Call  £1.05 £3.50 £1.63
    The_Don90 Show
    • Q

Brode Muck
    • J

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, Queens and 10s £3.23  £4.67
    hand 2) Id been having a pretty bad session to be fair. When i seen this hand decided just to go with it so i wasnt sitting around with 25BB any more. There was no reload back.
    padzmac Small blind £0.02 £0.02 £3.24
    jbpoker Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.80
     Your hole cards

The_Don90 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £0.92
    clubhammer Fold     
    padzmac Fold     
    jbpoker All-in  £2.80 £3.06 £0.00
    The_Don90 All-in  £0.92 £3.98 £0.00
    jbpoker Unmatched bet  £1.72 £2.26 £1.72
    jbpoker Show
    • K

The_Don90 Show

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, 7s and 5s £2.09  £2.09
    Hand 3) Early in the session and a common problem. This was my third biggest hand profitwise the other 2 are above. Flop i checked back as i dont think opponents are hitting that flop much, plus other than gutshots its pretty safe. The turn my bet sizing i feel was a little out.
    clemo1980 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.08
    Wilhelm Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
     Your hole cards

jbpoker Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £7.26
    The_Don90 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £3.84
    clubhammer Fold     
    clemo1980 Call  £0.10 £0.40 £1.98
    Wilhelm Call  £0.08 £0.48 £3.88
    Flop

clemo1980 Check     
    Wilhelm Check     
    jbpoker Check     
    The_Don90 Check     
    Turn

• Q

clemo1980 Check     
    Wilhelm Bet  £0.30 £0.78 £3.58
    jbpoker Call  £0.30 £1.08 £6.96
    The_Don90 Raise  £1.34 £2.42 £2.50
    clemo1980 Fold     
    Wilhelm Fold     
    jbpoker Fold     
    The_Don90 Muck     
    The_Don90 Win  £1.27  £3.77
    The_Don90 Return  £1.04 £0.11 £4.81
    Hand 4) Last winning hand im going to show. This particular villian was calling bigger and bigger openings, so much so i increased my open every hand. By this time he was actually getting short and i decided just to set him in pre, almost double what my previous raise size had got to but felt it was correct.
    The_Don90 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.36
    daviddev17 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.66
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

greenace Fold     
    MARYBOBBIN Fold     
    Brode Call  £0.04 £0.10 £0.70
    The_Don90 Raise  £0.74 £0.84 £3.62
    daviddev17 Fold     
    Brode All-in  £0.70 £1.54 £0.00
    The_Don90 Unmatched bet  £0.02 £1.52 £3.64
    The_Don90 Show
    • A
    • K

Brode Show
    • J
    • Q

Flop

• K
    • K

Turn

River

The_Don90 Win Three Kings £1.40  £5.04
    Hand 5) Just a cooler i think. AQ looks pretty safe most of the time on this board. but im open to discussion
    chelseashe Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £0.57
    Slider73 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.11
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

The_Don90 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £4.03
    jbpoker Fold     
    clubhammer Call  £0.20 £0.46 £5.10
    cloon Fold     
    chelseashe Fold     
    Slider73 Fold     
    Flop

• Q

The_Don90 Bet  £0.35 £0.81 £3.68
    clubhammer Call  £0.35 £1.16 £4.75
    Turn

The_Don90 Bet  £0.87 £2.03 £2.81
    clubhammer Raise  £2.32 £4.35 £2.43
    The_Don90 All-in  £2.81 £7.16 £0.00
    clubhammer Call  £1.36 £8.52 £1.07
    The_Don90 Show
    • Q
    • A

clubhammer Show

River

clubhammer Win Three 2s £7.88  £8.95
    Hand 6) Think i actually got away light here. When i seen the action i was still 3 tabling and had 3bet and thought the opponent was all in hense the flat. Obviously once no cards where flipped i was curing then missing i was cursing even more. Upon seeing cards i think i got away cheap. Open for discussion again.
    mike1959 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.18
    Wilhelm Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.44
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

jbpoker Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £6.75
    The_Don90 Raise  £0.44 £0.62 £4.34
    azukira Fold     
    clubhammer Raise  £1.72 £2.34 £4.15
    mike1959 All-in  £1.18 £3.52 £0.00
    Wilhelm Fold     
    jbpoker Fold     
    The_Don90 Call  £1.28 £4.80 £3.06
    Flop

The_Don90 Check     
    clubhammer Bet  £2.40 £7.20 £1.75
    The_Don90 Fold     
    clubhammer Unmatched bet  £2.40 £4.80 £4.15
    mike1959 Show

clubhammer Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

clubhammer Win Two Pairs, Kings and 9s £4.44  £8.59
    Hand 7) Final hand ill post. When i 3bet here i decided i was calling off any bets due to my stack. When the short stack called i decided that i was going to set him in on any safish looking flop. I know an over gna land most of the time but hes only got £1 back with a £1 pot. Q anded and felt the board was safe enough. Sighhh
    The_Don90 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.71
    Wilhelm Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.03
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

LethalBen Fold     
    ben170583 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £1.40
    jbpoker Call  £0.12 £0.30 £5.70
    The_Don90 Raise  £0.42 £0.72 £2.29
    Wilhelm Fold     
    ben170583 Call  £0.32 £1.04 £1.08
    jbpoker Fold     
    Flop

• Q

The_Don90 All-in  £2.29 £3.33 £0.00
    ben170583 All-in  £1.08 £4.41 £0.00
    The_Don90 Unmatched bet  £1.21 £3.20 £1.21
    The_Don90 Show
    • J
    • J

ben170583 Show
    • A

Turn

River

• Q

ben170583 Win Flush to the Ace £2.96  £2.96

Please discuss these. I know most look like BBY and coolers, but that session i felt showed massive improvement, despite being 1.75BIs down. The main issue i had which isnt highlighted here was the lack of ability to get to flops with big hands, i think i had AAs and KKs a few times and never got more than 6p once. :(
  • edited April 2012
    1 fold pre readless, postflop fine
    2 fold to 3bet
    3 bet flop
    4 nh
    5 meh I would fold readless, might be a call at 4NL
    6 fold pre to cold 4b, obv jam better than flatting
    7 fine with stacksizes, I might sometimes check to him, but its going in
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Aside from all this moaning abuot 4NL being unbeatable... I'd say 95%+ of us know that's nonsense but I must say TinTin, that is a mighty fine month's worth of profit from 4NL!! How many tables do you play and how many hours dya do a day/week/month if you don't mind me asking? Also, I always said that it was virtually impossible to get anything meaningful from C4P via 4NL but if you've played 300k in 2012 alone, you must have earned a few points along the way... what's an average number of poker points for you at 4NL in a month?
    Posted by Lambert180
    i dont mind you asking at all,

i play 6 tables but i have a computer thats badly needing updating, its around 5 yr old n 6 tables i suffer some lag or i would be trying 8, 10 or 12 tables.

my usual routine is play from around 11 in morn thru to 2 2:30 then start again around 5:30 n play thru til midnight, some nights its 2 or 3am depending if things are going well n im not tired. i do this most days.

the recent reduction in points per raked hand at nl4 has hit me harder than most if im truthfull as before 31st jan i could earn 4000 points in a couple of weeks. in march i hit 4200 for £67ish for a full month of playing, i cant remember missing a day of playing but there was a couple where i only played for a couple of hours. february i earned just over 3000 n jan under old system it was over 4000. this month im only on 2350 n in truth im not going to be playing the rest of the month. i need a break as ive been hammering it for the last 7 weeks. i will start again when i receive my nxt c4p payment. i need to recharge my brain

ive said before on other threads that i only play when im out of work hence why ive been logging so many hours in last few months
  • edited April 2012
    hand 5 against unknowns i'd call. not in this hand

hand 6. your opponent has bashed the 4x button after your 3 bet. as good as typing his hand in the chat box.
  • edited April 2012
    1 fold pre readless, postflop fine 2 fold to 3bet 3 bet flop 4 nh 5 meh I would fold readless, might be a call at 4NL 6 fold pre to cold 4b, obv jam better than flatting 7 fine with stacksizes, I might sometimes check to him, but its going in
    Posted by grantorino
    Thanks for good responce mate. in regards to the AK hand where i flatted a 4b i genuinely thought he was all in. Ummm, may i ask, you said in a previous thread you didnt like the 3b fold of AK. So im a little confused.
  • edited April 2012
    hand 5 against unknowns i'd call. not in this hand hand 6. your opponent has bashed the 4x button after your 3 bet. as good as typing his hand in the chat box.
    Posted by TINTIN
    Being honest i think my table selection was a little off, maybe youll be able to answer that much better than others.

Just to confirm your folding the AQ ???

Thanks for feedback
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Being honest i think my table selection was a little off, maybe youll be able to answer that much better than others. Just to confirm your folding the AQ ??? Thanks for feedback
    Posted by The_Don90
    in that specific hand yes im folding.

yeah table selection could do with a little working on
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : in that specific hand yes im folding. yeah table selection could do with a little working on
    Posted by TINTIN
    thanks mate. Been a while so alot of the regs have moved on and are replaced with different ones. People i once thought where fish are now actually half decent etc.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : thanks mate. Been a while so alot of the regs have moved on and are replaced with different ones. People i once thought where fish are now actually half decent etc.
    Posted by The_Don90
    There are plenty of new ones on me after a couple of months. I start at the bottom of the table list and scroll up looking for softer tables and noting who's sitting at several tables with a full stack.

Bum hunting at nl4 does seem wrong somehow though. lol
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Thanks for good responce mate. in regards to the AK hand where i flatted a 4b i genuinely thought he was all in. Ummm, may i ask, you said in a previous thread you didnt like the 3b fold of AK. So im a little confused.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Well, its a bit different when you get cold 4b, esp at 4NL. If the guy who opened 4bets, I dont think you can fold without very specific reads on his ranges for calling/4betting as you obv wanted action when you 3bet. However in this case you 3bet an utg open and a guy behind cold 4bets you are usually in big trouble readless
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: why i cant beat nl4. Sigh. some BBY but want advice. sick of losing at this level. : Well, its a bit different when you get cold 4b, esp at 4NL. If the guy who opened 4bets, I dont think you can fold without very specific reads on his ranges for calling/4betting as you obv wanted action when you 3bet. However in this case you 3bet an utg open and a guy behind cold 4bets you are usually in big trouble readless
    Posted by grantorino
    ah thanks mate great explination.