You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [new update]

Comments

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead]:
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : And you've got Tommd to contend with now as well! ;-)   p.s. I'm loving the Sub!! New or flea-bay? ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    Lol, that guy is giving me a headache. 

Hehe, it's a datejust. New and from a real retail shop - now there's a surprise. 
  • edited September 2012
    Ive haven't posted on this but I have spent a lot of time on the tables with Pat recently.  £5 and £10 DYM's seen to be both our games of choice at the moment.  

Pat I have read your thread with interest and I have to say that it is always a dilema for me, emotionally, when you are on the table.  

On one side you're a great person on the table, always willing to have a chat and a banter which makes the game all the more pleasurable for me.

On the other side you're a bloody good player and a pain in the nexk to play most of the time. ;o)

Anyway Pat,  keep these posts coming.  They are a  great read and lets hope we keep meeting at the final 3 of the DYM's ;o)
  • edited September 2012
    n Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead]:
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : I mean in terms of the hardest you've come across. I myself have a lot of respect for Jac's game, and a certain evil pingu when he decides to play.  Good work on moving up. All I can suggest is game selection, play when the game isn't full of regulars and you'll be crushing in no time.  Best of luck Lee
    Posted by patwalshh
    You are obviously wise beyond your years
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead]:
    n Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : You are obviously wise beyond your years
    Posted by Jac35

I had to say someone, so it might as well be a loyal reader haha. 

Ive haven't posted on this but I have spent a lot of time on the tables with Pat recently.  £5 and £10 DYM's seen to be both our games of choice at the moment.   Pat I have read your thread with interest and I have to say that it is always a dilema for me, emotionally, when you are on the table.   On one side you're a great person on the table, always willing to have a chat and a banter which makes the game all the more pleasurable for me. On the other side you're a bloody good player and a pain in the nexk to play most of the time. ;o) Anyway Pat,  keep these posts coming.  They are a  great read and lets hope we keep meeting at the final 3 of the DYM's ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    This post really means a lot Pete, so thank you. We've battled in some fairly difficult games recently and it's always a pleasure. 

On a side note, I can assure you that I have more than a 'one word note' on you. Your game has really progressed within a fairly short period of time. Keep it up, and I'll have to be moving down in stakes. 

All the best

--

Games have been very tough on me recently. When someone's previously complained about being stressed, or used it to compensate for something, I've always thought it to be an excuse. But with the stress of the SNG challenge, running bad, connection problems and needing the money, I can truly say that I have an idea of where people have been coming from all these years. 

I was about to say that I've never had such a dire breakeven/losing period in my Poker history. But, when I first properly started playing again earlier this year in March, I initially went on a massive heater. Around half way through the month (6 months to this date, I went on a very long and monotonous break even period) - 

And here's this weeks graph (bear in mind that it doesn't include £30 worth of refunds I recieved from Sky for the connection problems I faced - which may I just add, is very good of them to do so) -

--

Fortunately after March, I ran hot in April and the tough break even period became a distant memory. 

'The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work' - Harry Golden

• edited September 2012
    hi Pat,
    i always look forward to reading your posts as clearly we both enjoy playing DYM's,and as you are playing a level or two above me,it is always interesting to hear some of your thoughts on this great game that we are all playing and still looking to improve at.

it is interesting you talking about long periods of play being either 'massive heaters' or 'break even periods'.

do you think that long term this is possibly how it is likely to be,either one or the other?,as

due to the very nature of DYM's being either win/lose and with many variants,many being 'out of your hands' so to speak.

ps;
         i have also just posted in my dym thread a few questions for you specifically Pat.
    hope you don't mind m8,and can maybe help an 'old fella' out.
    best wishes.
    :)
    dev
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to  Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : I had to say someone, so it might as well be a loyal reader haha.  In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : This post really means a lot Pete, so thank you. We've battled in some fairly difficult games recently and it's always a pleasure.  On a side note, I can assure you that I have more than a 'one word note' on you. Your game has really progressed within a fairly short period of time. Keep it up, and I'll have to be moving down in stakes.  All the best -- Games have been very tough on me recently. When someone's previously complained about being stressed, or used it to compensate for something, I've always thought it to be an excuse. But with the stress of the SNG challenge, running bad, connection problems and needing the money, I can truly say that I have an idea of where people have been coming from all these years.  I was about to say that I've never had such a dire breakeven/losing period in my Poker history. But, when I first properly started playing again earlier this year in March, I initially went on a massive heater. Around half way through the month (6 months to this date, I went on a very long and monotonous break even period) -  And here's this weeks graph (bear in mind that it doesn't include £30 worth of refunds I recieved from Sky for the connection problems I faced - which may I just add, is very good of them to do so) - -- Fortunately after March, I ran hot in April and the tough break even period became a distant memory.  'The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work' - Harry Golden
    Posted by patwalshh
    Great quote - if it makes u feel any better, looks like I'm gonna donk off my entire roll chasing this stupid s&g promo.
  • edited September 2012
    hi Pat, i always look forward to reading your posts as clearly we both enjoy playing DYM's,

it is interesting you talking about long periods of play being either 'massive heaters' or 'break even periods'. do you think that long term this is possibly how it is likely to be,either one or the other?,as due to the very nature of DYM's being either win/lose and with many variants,many being 'out of your hands' so to speak. 
    Posted by devonfish5

I'm not 100% sure what asking about the variance, but I'll try my best. I think a lot of it, is what goes around comes around. Think of it this way, in Poker if you think really really long term, we're all ultimately put in the same dilemmas, set over set, AK losing to AQ, flush over flush etc - The edge we have comes from the times we outplay/steal/get max value from a hand/lose the least from a hand. So in that sense we can take solace in making the right decision, even if we get unlucky. 

Over time I believe variance basically irons out, but it can take thousands of games to do so.

Nice Watch.
    Posted by JingleMa

tyty

In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : Great quote - if it makes u feel any better, looks like I'm gonna donk off my entire roll chasing this stupid s&g promo.
    Posted by JingleMa

Stop playing games with 5 other regulars you're just at the mercy of variance to, and you're at least just losing 10% to rake! For such a clever person, your so stupid when it comes to simple things like game selection! Take with a pinch of salt, hard love.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : I'm not 100% sure what asking about the variance, but I'll try my best. I think a lot of it, is what goes around comes around. Think of it this way, in Poker if you think really really long term, we're all ultimately put in the same dilemmas, set over set, AK losing to AQ, flush over flush etc - The edge we have comes from the times we outplay/steal/get max value from a hand/lose the least from a hand. So in that sense we can take solace in making the right decision, even if we get unlucky.  Over time I believe variance basically irons out, but it can take thousands of games to do so. In Response to  Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : tyty In Response to  Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : Stop playing games with 5 other regulars you're just at the mercy of variance to, and you're at least just losing 10% to rake! For such a clever person, your so stupid when it comes to simple things like game selection! Take with a pinch of salt, hard love.
    Posted by patwalshh
    Alrite love, don't get your knickers in a twist!

But yeah, I think deep down I just love getting spanked.

I really should see a therapist.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - "Poker's a cruel game" [Huge September Ahead] : Alrite love, don't get your knickers in a twist! But yeah, I think deep down I just love getting spanked. I really should see a therapist.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Sorry, I'm just saying what you already know. Must be great for your game playing solid(ish) players though. 

--

In all honesty, I'm unbelievably tired. I'm used to playing 3 and a half hours a day and suddenly this week it's bumped up to 10 hours+. It's safe to say that this has become somewhat of a personal challenge, a test of will - as opposed to the monetary benefits. This is the hardest I've ever worked in my life. The energy drinks are in the fridge, and I'm counting down the hours. 

Wish me luck. I need it.

Patwalshh

• edited September 2012
    Hi m8.Havent posted yet on this thread until now but here goes.You,re a young kid with massive ability from what I've read so far.Its a no brainer that you'll have the ups and downs somewhere along the way.Thats just being realistic.But from my point of view you seem to be beating yourself up(if I'm wrong then apologies man) a bit too much.You keep goin the way you are at the moment and you'll be fine in the long run.Dont get yorself too down m8.Aint good for your health.
    Be good n run good.
    Cheers.
    Paul
  • edited September 2012
    Hi m8.Havent posted yet on this thread until now but here goes.You,re a young kid with massive ability from what I've read so far.Its a no brainer that you'll have the ups and downs somewhere along the way.Thats just being realistic.But from my point of view you seem to be beating yourself up(if I'm wrong then apologies man) a bit too much.You keep goin the way you are at the moment and you'll be fine in the long run.Dont get yorself too down m8.Aint good for your health. Be good n run good. Cheers. Paul
    Posted by bignoise10
    Hi Paul means a lot for you to post that. I just like to push myself and sometimes I make things a bit dramatic for the thread. After this week, I'm going to have a break with some serious time away from the tables. 

All the best

• edited September 2012
    Hi Pat,

Your blog is a very intresting read.Good luck with your DYM challenge.I have been on a few tables  at the £5 games with you.10 hours a day is really tough going so I wish you luck.

Pat
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Pat, Your blog is a very intresting read.Good luck with your DYM challenge.I have been on a few tables  at the £5 games with you.10 hours a day is really tough going so I wish you luck. Pat
    Posted by day4eire76
    Hi Pat thanks for your comments. Hopefully see you on a few more dyms in the future.

--

I finally ran okay yesterday. Profit wise, a great day. But ROI, is only at 6%, so definitely something to improve on. Had some funny games with my fair share of coolers, got top set all in vs 2 players on a Qxx board only to hit a full house and it to lose to a straight flush lol. On the contrary, I had 150 chips with 5 players left in an £11 DYM, at either 150/300 or 200/400, everyone else had a full stack+, it went limp, limp utg, sb shoves with AQ, origional limper calls with 1010, second limper calls with QQ and takes it down!!!

Secondly, sharkscope seems to have implimented a new feature for DYM streaks, which I have a nice star for. Lets see how long it lasts:

Lets do this.

--

patwalshh

• edited September 2012
    Really enjoying reading this Pat, for some reason imagined you as an older player, not one of us uni students ;) 
    Good luck with the rest of the SnG champ challenge!
  • edited September 2012
    Really enjoying reading this Pat, for some reason imagined you as an older player, not one of us uni students ;)  Good luck with the rest of the SnG champ challenge!
    Posted by WWFCBlue
    Ahh thank you man, yeah I'm only 19. Where abouts do you study? 
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah I'm 19 too, going back for 2nd year at De Montfort Uni in Leicester, studying Accounting and Finance (fun!).
    Don't grind anywhere near as much as you - more of an MTT player, play a bit live in Leicester as well, and managed to bink a seat for the 6-max SPT so got that to look forward to
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah I'm 19 too, going back for 2nd year at De Montfort Uni in Leicester, studying Accounting and Finance (fun!). Don't grind anywhere near as much as you - more of an MTT player, play a bit live in Leicester as well, and managed to bink a seat for the 6-max SPT so got that to look forward to
    Posted by WWFCBlue
    Ahh yeah, I know the place. Some of our modules must be fairly similar. Haha, I really want to cut back as soon as this promotion is over and get back to normality. Nice work on the seat and best of luck. 
  • edited September 2012
    Yeahh fairly similar courses. Cheers, and good luck getting through the rest of the week!
  • edited September 2012
    Yeahh fairly similar courses. Cheers, and good luck getting through the rest of the week!
    Posted by WWFCBlue

Ty mate!

--

Less than 24 hours left... 

• edited September 2012

Swingy last day to finish the SNG challenge. I'll write a big review tomorrow/tuesday. Fingers crossed, I've made it, but I've got a bit of a sweat. It would be a pretty insane achievement to make top 6 from 98% £10 and £5 DYMs. 

Satellited into the Primo and I'm currently attempting to grind a stack up. Feel free to rail me! 

Peace
  • edited September 2012
    Scrap that just ran KK into aces for top 3 stack to finish 50th FML!
  • edited September 2012
    Wow I see you made it Tuesday well done

I will be watching/railing(no chat) remember everything I've taught you!!

Don't play AJ b4 the first level!!!  hope you get some good cards

Good luck

Lee
  • edited September 2012

congratulations Pat on making 'the final 6'

hope you play well and run well tomorrow

good luck m8

(* *)
       ^
    dev

• edited September 2012
    Swingy last day to finish the SNG challenge. I'll write a big review tomorrow/tuesday. Fingers crossed, I've made it, but I've got a bit of a sweat. It would be a pretty insane achievement to make top 6 from 98% £10 and £5 DYMs.  Satellited into the Primo and I'm currently attempting to grind a stack up. Feel free to rail me!  Peace
    Posted by patwalshh
    VWD Pat!  Will def rail.
  • edited September 2012
    well done Pat on making the top 6. Now go win it!

Jamie
  • edited September 2012

Saturday 11th September  SPT Final, Dusk Til Dawn Nottingham 

3:25pm  All in I announced. A snap call and the flashing of two red aces was all that was needed to seal my fate.  

Sunday 12th September - Nottingham 

Half asleep, I lay in bed at my budget hotel - watching as the end credits of the film I’d been subconsciously viewing for the last hour rolled across the screen, ironically, almost a tribute to my very hope of cashing a big tournament under my Skypoker sponsorship package - another opportunity I’d let split through my fingers 

In my sombre state, I attempted to piece together the damage that was the night before. Not only was I suffering from a crippling headache, the result of all too many vodka lemonades - but an equally crippled bank balance, a mixed result of my sobriety, wish-wash of emotions and the cruel sting that was hard luck at the devil’s wheel. I trudged to the bathroom for one last glass of water, turned the lights off. 20 seconds after my head hit the pillow; I was fast asleep, dreaming of what could have been. 

Pat , Pat’. I rose up from a deep sleep, dazed and confused. It was PJ, my fellow roommate for the SPT, and notorious DYM grinder ‘JingleMa’. I tried to focus, ‘....Challenge....SNG... TV was all I heard as I tried to gather my bearings.  

Monday 13h September 

Bemused, and not fully familiar with the previous night’s conversation, I asked. “Wait, so you’re telling me, there’s actually a promotion for sit and go players on Skypoker”. ‘Yes, didn’t you listen to anything I said’? As I heard the full details of the promotion, the idea got more and more humorous. “Oh how brilliant it’ll be to watch 6 high stakes DYM grinders battle it out”. I sarcastically chimed. “We don’t stand a chance”.  

As I began my 3 hour solo drive back to Bath, my mind pondered on the opportunity that lay before me. I thought to myself, with an insane work ethic, and an equally insane mental frame of mind, ‘anything is possible’ 

Wednesday 12th September 

Just like a new relationsh... Oh wait I won’t go there. Let me start again. 

Wednesday 12th September 

Just like a diet, or saving money - at first the prospect of working towards and achieving something is new, challenging and exciting all at once – but ultimately, as you’re forced to put the work, effort and will into it, it becomes harder and harder to carry on. Not even mid way through the week, and I was exhausted. Just like my energy, my results had been nothing short of a downward spiral. Seemingly, the only thing moving in the right direction was my Poker points. Could I actually do this I asked myself? It’d be one unbelievable achievement if I could.  

-- 

Gradually, game by game, poker point by poker point, time passed. Just to have a glimmer of hope to make it, I’d put everything on hold - to have that small chance of success, I’d had to isolate myself, ignore my emotions and mental fatigue – and push through it. The challenge wasn’t about the money, it was about proving that I could push myself through the hard times, the difficulties, and achieve something I could be proud of - and if I didn’t make the top 6, I'd be able to look myself in the mirror and not think of the week or myself as a failure, but be happy that I’d worked harder than I ever had done before and put everything I possibily could into it. 

Monday 17th September 2012 

In autopilot mode I awoke at 9am, booting up the computer, ready for another gruelling day of DYMs. It soon dawned on me that this day was different, the deadline had been passed and the hardest mentally straining week of my life was over. The Sng challenge grind was over! I quickly packed and by 9.30am my things were loaded in my car and I was on my way back to Devon to take some well deserved time off poker, unwind and be with those I have recently neglected, my faithful family, dog and true friends.  

-- 

4:43pm – ‘Hi is this Patrick..... I’d just like to inform you that you’ve made the final 6 for the SNG Championship tomorrow at 7:15pm – Congratulations. 

-- 

Final thoughts

After this week, I feel as though I’ve learnt more about true hard work and dedication, than I ever have done in my life. Regardless of the outcome. I can say, that for me, it’s not about the destination, it’s what I've truly learnt about myself, others’, my abilities and ultimately, my possibilities along the way. With my 2nd University year fast approaching, I definitely have something to apply this to. (Just think, it only took me 7 gruelling days and 850 DYMs to learn that)  

I thank you for reading my journey so far.  

Patrick Walsh 

• edited September 2012
    I envy a young man with our ability in poker. Good discipline.
    CONGRATS ON YOUR ENTRY.
    Well deserved.

Regards Alan

EDIT...your ability....lol
  • edited September 2012
    Well done Pat great effort and great result.
    Also impressed you managed to break even/win a little over the course off the challenge.
    P.s. sent you pm a few days ago that doesn't really matter now
  • edited September 2012

Congrats mate & nice story lol, it's almost like I was there... ;-)

C u 2nite!