You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [new update]

Comments

• edited November 2012

"The only way to beat hard luck is hard work" 

Before yesterday my month on Sky was very somber. Still in the red and running low on motivation, I not only wanted something to happen but needed it. 

Oh how so much can change in a day. Final tabled 3 tournaments and ended up taking down the £5k bounty hunter. I'll write a big update detailing it soon. 

Patwalshh
  • edited November 2012
    "This is your life. Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it"

Hi Pat

Enjoyed the read and will have a look at your linked posts. Life can be racing at a pace that doesn't give us time to stand back and assess and take pleasure from what is happening. If you get time, i found a book called 'One day my soul just opened up' by Iyanla Vanzant was good for putting me in that frame of mind. Have a look at the reviews on amazon ...you'll see what i mean. It can be a bit 'godified' in places. I'm not particularly religious and would say agnostic(sit on fence syndrome yes) but i would say you can replace it with any spiritual force from within yourself. Life is easy when things are going well. This book helped me when things weren't and i needed directions on how to go about feeling genuinely happy with my lot in life.
    GL with your 'stuff'.
  • edited November 2012
    Wow just read the opening post you put in this thread patwalshh and almost reducted me to tears literaly. My gf left me about a month ago she was seeing someone else and left me for him. Now I'm only 18 but we had been together for 2 years and 9 months so it wasn't just some little kid relationship. I was even living with her and her parents at the time. I considered myself a fairly average poker player at the time. However since this I moved back in at my Mums and have spent numerous hours and days studying my game and improving. I came second iun the £1,000 D/S for £155 then won a £3.30 B/H and came 5th in another. Her leaving me is a blessing in disguise as I have upped my game so much that it is now my main focus. 
  • edited November 2012
    thats life i was with my ex for 4 years altho she cheated on me i still love her maybe a mug but thats love but now i am single i focus solely on poker and has paid dividends after years of hard work 
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey (Kid takes down the £5k BH):
    thats life i was with my ex for 4 years altho she cheated on me i still love her maybe a mug but thats love but now i am single i focus solely on poker and has paid dividends after years of hard work 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yeah I love her to bits still see her and stuff and both think we will be back together.
  • edited November 2012
    Wow just read the opening post you put in this thread patwalshh and almost reducted me to tears literaly. My gf left me about a month ago she was seeing someone else and left me for him. Now I'm only 18 but we had been together for 2 years and 9 months so it wasn't just some little kid relationship. I was even living with her and her parents at the time. I considered myself a fairly average poker player at the time. However since this I moved back in at my Mums and have spent numerous hours and days studying my game and improving. I came second iun the £1,000 D/S for £155 then won a £3.30 B/H and came 5th in another. Her leaving me is a blessing in disguise as I have upped my game so much that it is now my main focus. 
    Posted by G_Emery
    Ouch :/ been with my gf for 1 n half now n would really hurt if she cheated or anything, I had trust issues but now I just think if she's going to do it then she'll do it, done alot for her and we done alot together :/ feel for ya man, I wouldn't even be able to play poker if that was me...
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey (Kid takes down the £5k BH):
    Posted by G_Emery

Hey mate, always good to have new people in the thread. Sorry to hear about your relationship, they can truly drag you down. You just have to hold onto the precious, memorable, good times you shared with her. 

Nice work on the Poker. I can thoroughly recommend "2+2 forums", for improving all aspects of your Poker game - just google it. This is from one of my posts in this thread:

In Response to Re: Patwalshh - September Review [?? Ahead]:
    It's funny, I've always felt as though everything I've done in life has lead me to where I am today. That everything eventually falls into place and that all the negativity we face along the way is for a reason. Sooner or later, the number of times I've tried and fallen short, just becomes meaningless - Because in the end, I get to where I need to be. Relate this very concept to yourself. How many times did things not work out for you? At the time you were upset or even devastated, but eventually you can see that it was a blessing that for whatever reason it didn't happen 
    Posted by patwalshh

--

Will try to write a big update tomorrow. For now, two I've got two assignments to finish before tomorrow. Hopefully will be playing the Primo later though. Best of luck to everyone!

• edited November 2012

--

At the very beginning of 2012, I wrote a list of Poker achievements that I wanted to make before the end of the year. I purposely wrote the list on a very small piece of paper so I could carry it unhindered in my wallet. Fast forward to March and I finally got started on working towards the list. 

That brings us to last week. After countless hours of hard work and an emotional roller-coaster, many of the boxes were ticked. From a sharkscope star, to a Rolex Datejust. But one remained elusive, it was something that'd evaded me since the very beginning playing Poker. A four-figure score. I'd tried, failed, tried again and fallen short, on countless occasions. Recently, I was chip leader with 100 left in the Roller - An hour of being card-dead and helplessly shoving a low pocket pair into aces blind v blind later, I bubbled. Just this month I bubbled a seat into the £500 UKOPS high-roller from a £50 satellite. 

Don't get me wrong, continuous DYM results kept me moving along nicely, but it just felt as though something was missing. Fast forward to last week and for the first time I was actually still down via DYMs midway through the month. Granted it was probably 'due', thanks to my results in October. But nevertheless it was unchartered waters for me to be in the red through DYMs on Sky, so late in the month. 

Friday 16th November: So far in the month, I'd hardly played Poker at all. A mixture of University, a girl in my life and other commitments had seriously impacted my volume. I had a lot of catching up to do. So began by loading some FTP tournaments, with the intention of playing DYMs on Sky alongside. I registered in a total of 4 tournaments on the newly re-opened site. Hours later, I'd not only cashed in all of them - but won the $4 'Rush' tournament for $200, and got 8th in the $2 rebuy thanks to AQ > 1010 > KK, for a further $240 dollars. So close once again.

Mentally, I was exhausted. All I wanted to in the evening was go out with friends and enjoy myself. With 2 major University assignments due Friday and a wish-wash of people going home for the weekend, I had no option but to stay in. An hour or so later, I was bored out of my mind. The time was 9:50 and the £100+10 £5k GTD BH still had the option for late registration. With my other tournament cashes, and a variety of PLO wins, I was up around £400 for the day. Not bad at all. I really felt as though I was playing my A game and thus, the result could be so much better. Before I knew it, I'd registed in the BH and was sat down with a starting stack of 4,000 chips and a table full of unknowns.

The very first hand, I found myself awkwardly check shoving the turn with 2nd pair. My opponent tank folded and I was on average chips. A short break later and I took my first head prize after flatting 77 in the sb pre and calling a short stack's shove on a 622 board - Now I could loosen up. I piled on the aggression. My stack was fluctuated but my composure didn't. I felt 100% focused.

Players were going crazy for the bounties and it created a very interesting dynamic. I found myself on the losing side of a couple flips and I was the lowest stack with 20 remaining players. One individual's limp call with J3 on the button was not enough to crack my shove with KQ. Perseverance paid off and with a the help of a couple bounties I was sitting on average chips. 12 remained with the top 8 getting paid - Now I could really turn on the aggression.

Before I knew it we were down to the final table and I held the chip lead. My cards were cold, but numerous steals preserved my chip stack. I can't recall much of the final table, right up until we were 3 handed. It consisted of an unknown fish, me and Haysie. 3 handed was a real grind, chips weren't fluctuating too much and fatigue started to effect me. Finally Haysie took the fish's last chips and we were heads up.

Personally, there was an interesting dynamic between me and Haysie. Essentially on the bubble, I'd shoved 89suited into his JJ in the SNG Championship for a min-cash of 4th. After working so hard, grinding like I never had done before, I was devastated by the hand. I had to win this one. 

Heads up was enjoyable for me and I truly didn't care about the money. Just the very experience of being heads up for a semi-major tournament was enough for me. I believe Haysie began with around 175k chips to my 125k. My aggression caused my stack to fluctuate, and before I knew it, Haysie held a 2:1 chip lead. One hand, gave me a real insight into Haysie's playing style: 

After that hand, I realised that I could push my opponent around and really put the decision on him. So I went for a semi-suicidal bluff that I wouldn't consider vs most:

After Haysie time bank folded, I gained more confidence. I began to 3-bet and double barrel light. I created an unbalanced range and must have got into my 'tight' opponents head. Haysie was unlucky to run into a strong part of my range, and as they say, the rest is history:

I can't really say whether the 'score' has sunk in yet. But what I can say, is that I'd probably get a forum ban for describing how I celebrated on the Saturday. For now the money is safe in my bank. What I eventually decide to do with it however, is another story. 

Patwalshh

• edited November 2012
    Well done on your recent bink sir.  Sometimes all it takes is a big injection like that to send you on your way :)

BTW for all the girl talk recently in this thread...watch the movie Swingers.  An incred film and really will help you on your way :)

Heres a clip.  Blackjack too

• edited November 2012
    Well done on your recent bink sir.  Sometimes all it takes is a big injection like that to send you on your way :) 
    Posted by scotty77
    Would be nice! Thanks Ryan
  • edited November 2012
    Nice bink Pat!
    Your not only tearing up DYM's you've now started on tournaments! Soon we'll be seeing you on sky poker as an expert :)

PS sent you a pm
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey (Big Update pg 20):
    Nice bink Pat! Your not only tearing up DYM's you've now started on tournaments! Soon we'll be seeing you on sky poker as an expert :).  PS sent you a pm
    Posted by thomas87
    Haha it would be nice! I guess every fish has their day. Although there's so much variance in tournaments, I'd probably only play them on a regular basis if I had a backer. 

PM received and responded. 

--

Patwalshh
  • edited November 2012
    Well played on the win pal. Been playing quite a few tourneys myself recently on another site, very stressful, but a brilliant feeling when you take one down.
  • edited November 2012
    Well played on the win pal. Been playing quite a few tourneys myself recently on another site, very stressful, but a brilliant feeling when you take one down.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Cheers Josh, it's probably because you weren't there to doomswitch me haha. Only messing man, I guess it just comes down to persistance, persistance, persistance. Hope you're well man. 
  • edited November 2012

I really feel as though I'm playing my A game at the moment, even in the constraints of DYMs. As a result, I posted a last minute package for the £400+£30 Sheffield leg of the Genting series. To my surprise I'd sold all 50% within an hour or so (30% on the page and 20% from others). Unfortunately the event was completely sold out and I had to return the money to backers. Next time I'll be more organised and do it a week or so in advance. 

Will hopefully play some tournaments and grind some DYM tonight to get back on track for Priority (I'm only on 6,000 points at the moment). But women issues might cause me to alter my plans. Reminds me of a quote I once read:

"The poor long for riches, the rich long for heaven, but the wise long for tranquility"

DYM results last 3 or so days:

--

Patwalshh
  • edited November 2012
    Will hopefully play some tournaments and grind some DYM tonight to get back on track for Priority (I'm only on 6,000 points at the moment). But women issues might cause me to alter my plans. 
    Posted by patwalshh
    I just returned to Bath after a lovely couple of days away near Southhampton with my girl. Gave me a real chance to re-evaulate some important things and I feel great and really motivated.

Big day ahead and huge guarenteed tournaments everywhere. Priority pace to catch up with as I'm only on 6.5k points at the moment. Peace.

Patwalshh
  • edited November 2012

MIN CASHED THE ROLLERRRRRR. Feels so much better than bubbling it last month ahha. 
  • edited November 2012

Priority pace

With the re-opening of FTP and taking a lot of days off, I never thought I'd catch up with Priority. In an effort to not only make Priority (something I don't actually care that much for) and to continue to push myself, I've increased my average buy-in - Which is invariably causing me to sustaint some swingy sessions. It can be quiet mentally strenuous to see your bankroll fluctuate. 

A few thoughts on table selection: 

(THIS APPLIES TO OTHER SNG FORMATS AND CASH TOO)

It's all too easy, to register in DYMs or join a cash table and forget about it. In my opinion, numerous regulars would go from either break even/slight losing players (pre-rakeback) to marginal winners if they simply table selected and kept an eye on the lobbies. Playing a 15p/30p or £33 DYM with 5 other regulars will NOT BE PROFITABLE, even if your opponents have an average ROI of -8 to -2%/bb! 

The number of 'unknown' or weaker players will fluctuate between times of the day and buy-in. Some days, £5.50 DYMs might have more competent regulars in relation to a £22 DYM. It just simply depends. My rule of thumb varies between the buy-ins, but I will not play in a game with 3 other regulars, that I believe are competent (unless I'm seriously struggling for volume). There are always options, move down in stakes, move up in stakes, play a different variation. For example, last night the DYMs were loading slowly so I browsed the lobby of 6 max 25p/50p and found a deep stacked game with a few very exploitable players in.

Right now, I'm playing between £11 and £55 DYMs. I believe I'm only playing in games that I have a pre-rakeback edge over (all be it very small in the £33/£55 DYMs). Yes it sometimes means that I de-register from games, but in the long run this will pay off and save me the headaches of bigger swings. After all, the smaller the edge, the greater the variance. Just look at how much people struggle with the swings in hyper turbo sngs for example. 

Ultimately Poker is about maximising EV (expected value). A great analogy is someone betting on the results of a FAIR coin flip. Every time it lands on heads you get £1.10, but every time it lands on tails, you give them £1. In this game you have a 10% expected ROI. Over the course of 100 games you might win or lose larger sums of money but over an infinate amount of time, you will slowly make 10% of your stake every flip. BUT, if you only got £1.01 when it landed on heads, and you had to pay £1 every time it landed on tails. Your edge (1%) would be very small. This can be the difference in your expected ROI (YES YOU) if you don't table select. 

Yesterdays swings:

--

patwalshh

• edited November 2012
    ^ Great post that. Enjoying the diary so keep it coming!
  • edited November 2012
    great post and nice result on the super roller cash. Ive been following this and railing your play a fair bit to pick up some pointers. One Q tho - your exit hand from the roller. I have to ask dude, why did you make that play? It seemed out of character. I remembered you played the same hand SB vs BB earlier on and got looked up (very light) and got unlucky. Just intrigued really. GL and run good
  • edited November 2012
    ^ Great post that. Enjoying the diary so keep it coming!
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    TY.

In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey (Maximising EV):
    great post and nice result on the super roller cash. Ive been following this and railing your play a fair bit to pick up some pointers. One Q tho - your exit hand from the roller. I have to ask dude, why did you make that play? It seemed out of character. I remembered you played the same hand SB vs BB earlier on and got looked up (very light) and got unlucky. Just intrigued really. GL and run good
    Posted by mj8bs

Firstly, thanks for the comment and well wishes I really appreciate it. Secondly, the exit hand. I'd had like 3 hours sleep the night before, hungover and been playing poker for the last 12 hours. I either wanted to go on to FT or finish in 40th. Plus there's not all that many hands he calls with. But it's obviously a terrible steal attempt and I'd never normally make it.

Pat
  • edited November 2012
    Fair enough dude, am Im not judging...Im certainly in no position to do that. Ive done worse anyway! GL
  • edited November 2012
    Excellent post Patrick.

I believe the second most important thing when playing poker (beside the fun and enjoyment)game is making a profit. Playing against regulars at any level won't bring you any profit back.

Table selection at some levels is a MUST.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey (Maximising EV):
    Fair enough dude, am Im not judging...Im certainly in no position to do that. Ive done worse anyway! GL
    Posted by mj8bs
    Not at all man, it was a weird one. Best of luck 

Excellent post Patrick. I believe the second most important thing when playing poker (beside the fun and enjoyment)game is making a profit. Playing against regulars at any level won't bring you any profit back. Table selection at some levels is a MUST.
    Posted by GreekWay

Exactly this. Ultimately (whether you like it or not) making money, or indeed losing the minimum is a big part of the enjoyment aspect. 

Hopefully catch you at the SPT mate. 
  • edited November 2012
    Out of interest, who would you regard as the best regs at the DYMs we play and try to avoid? I have a few opinions of who are good/not good. You can just send me a PM if you don't want to write on here (if you even want to answer that at all lol)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey (Maximising EV):
    Out of interest, who would you regard as the best regs at the DYMs we play and try to avoid? I have a few opinions of who are good/not good. You can just send me a PM if you don't want to write on here (if you even want to answer that at all lol)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Will gladly answer, but PM'd as to not cause controversy.
  • edited November 2012

Hi Pat,
    got a question for you regarding ROI,if you don't mind answering for me,please.

i think i'm right that ROI,stands for your return on investment.
    although i have not been interested in my own,up until now ,that is.
    i have always just though that as long as i am winning,that's fine.

as i don't have sharkscope,which i think will give you it,(-rakeback)i was thinking about how i could work it out for myself.

would this example be correct...

if in a month if i earned say; 5000 c4p i think that works out to £5000 invested.(£1 per c4p point)
                                           then there is the 10% rake to add on,which we lose...making it £5500
    so would i need to make a profit of £550 for the month(and i could also include c4p rake back here)
    giving me an ROI of 10% for the month?

thanks Pat,
    (* *)
       ^
    dev

• edited November 2012
    Will reply when I get a few minutes free later today Dev. 

--

Turbulence

Yesterdays results were fun......... Normally I deal with it by getting a bit low, somewhat taking it out on others and buying a bag of cookies from the local Sainsburies (The 4 pack if you know it. They've gotten me through some difficult times ahha). But for once I actually decided to man up, get over it and get ready to come back fighting the next day. 

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu -69.7% ROI at the £22 DYMs!!!!
  • edited November 2012
    ty Pat,

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited November 2012

I've got the last push before hitting Priority, 354 points to be exact (It's crazy to think that this is how many points some struggle to earn in a month - including my housemate) It'll be a relief once I do make it as I'm looking forward to some time off. Back to back best months results and I still feel 'so, so'. Poker can be very draining for me.

'It's a hard way to make easy money'

Hi Pat, got a question for you regarding ROI,if you don't mind answering for me,please. i think i'm right that ROI,stands for your return on investment. although i have not been interested in my own,up until now ,that is. i have always just though that as long as i am winning,that's fine. as i don't have sharkscope,which i think will give you it,(-rakeback)i was thinking about how i could work it out for myself. would this example be correct... if in a month if i earned say; 5000 c4p i think that works out to £5000 invested.(£1 per c4p point)                                        then there is the 10% rake to add on,which we lose...making it £5500 so would i need to make a profit of £550 for the month(and i could also include c4p rake back here) giving me an ROI of 10% for the month? thanks Pat, (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Anyone can actually use sharkscope you get 5 free searches per day. You just have to sign up to get advanced options and extra searches. Just type it into google man. But it can be worked out manually as so:

Profit(or loss)/buy-in amount x 100

Say you make £100 profit from 100 £5.50 dyms. It'd be:

100/550 = 0.1818 
    ans*100= 18.18%