You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [new update]

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Another great post as per usual. Like the way you post sparingly in your diary but when you do you nail it!

Keep it up man.
  • edited January 2013

Superb comments from two players that I greatly respect. Thank you guys :)
  • edited January 2013

Safe to say that DYMs could have treated me a little kinder this month. Green line is inclusive of RB at 31%.. 

On the bright side, due to results on FTP and RB, still looking at a marginal 4 fig month..
  • edited February 2013
    And the nightmare continues. #notbrokeyetbutgettingthere
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [The most important lesson for 2013?]:
    And the nightmare continues. #notbrokeyetbutgettingthere
    Posted by patwalshh
    Sigh!

Hope it's not too bad Pat.
    Somebody somewhere must be winning at he moment, just not anybody I know.

I'm playing as badly as at any time ever for me at present.
    All I can suggest is obvious but does work
    ABC

Good luck mate, you're too good not to turn it around soon.

• edited February 2013
    Still loving this +1 great posts

Love your persepctive and how you step back and look at the bigger picture.

You mention focus, how true for everything.

I have to mention motivation, without this we do nothing.

run golden
  • edited February 2013

I thought it'd be good to add a little update, so here goes.

In all honesty, things really haven't been too great this year Poker wise. Ever since I had a little tournament success on FTP mid January, things just seemed to go into a downward spiral. It was as though no matter how well I played, I was always running into the top of my opponents range, or was getting outdrawn. After a few weeks of it happening, I just went into a really bad mindset of telling myself I didn't give a s***. Busted my roll playing cash etc. Redeposit. Busto. Redeposit. Busto. Rinse and repeat. It was as though I just wanted to lose because I just couldn't deal with Poker anymore. I felt as though I had nothing left to fight for. 

It's weird how we put pressure on ourselves as individuals. No matter how great things seem to be going in all other aspects, it can just take one small thing to throw everything else into disarray. I told myself one vital thing, I wasn't going to let a game effect me like it did this time last year. I wasn't going to let others sacrifice and suffer for my stupidity at the online felt. I stuck to this, no matter how I performed at the table -  I didn't let it effect me with others. My relationship with friends and especially my girlfriend blossomed despite me throwing away over a grand online. 

I had a week off University for a 'reading week', enjoyed valentines day, went home for the weekend and hung out with friends. I even threw away more money playing HU Hypers and turbos. But it didn't bother me. I didn't feel as though it mattered. I'd become basically mentally immune to monetary swings. The direct accumilation of money, at the end of the day never has been a great aspiration of mine. Instead I try to look at the bigger picture, instead viewing it as something you inevitably earn through your journey. Taking pride in your hard work, sacrifice and focus. 

I believe that as poker players, and indeed individuals we shouldn't set ourselves monetary targets - there's too much variance and unexpected obstacles to hinder that. A great example would be to set the goal of working hard to make Priority this month in +EV games. At the end of the month you reach your goal, you can be happy about your success. If you were happy about your play and kept tilt to a minimum, fantastic. If you made a grand along the way, better so. In my opinion, when you create monetary goals, you put unnessary pressure and stress on yourself. 

At the end of the day, all you can do is play to the best of your ability, you can't ask for any more. One of the worst things you can do is to chase your losses. Illogically chase what in your opinion you think you should have. Don't chase it, don't go for the easy route. Work hard for it. It was only once I fully realised this, I was insightful enough to go back to basics - back to what I've crushed, DYMs. Set myself a target and stick to it.

3 very different graphs for the year:

All games, all disciplines (Sky)

All SNGS all disciplines

All 6 Max SNGs

I've set myself a goal to hit 12,000 points for the month, which at 3+ months in Priority amounts to £420. Lets hit some targets, and hopefully print some money along the way!

Patwalshh

• edited February 2013
    "not too great" - until the last 200 games more like **** eh!

possibilities:

1. variance - keep playing & you'll get there
    2. tilt - sigh & pause
    3. development - i.e. you've developed some new techniques (ie cold 4 betting light for example) but need to gain experience of how to use it (continuing the example your cold 4 bet is called oop and post flop they donk bet into you - wtf to do next)

only you can know which of these has impacted your play. I've had a big downswing on mtts over the last few months, and was starting to fear I was losing it. But then I managed to take down a 5k BH. Focus on your A-game, and you'll be back, as long as you keep those tilt-demons at bay.

PS I sat down at a live cash £1/2 table this afternoon. But I just wasn't feeling it. I'm sure the button 3 bet was a steal but laid down my AJ. After half an hour stood up and went home having only seen one flop. i.e if it ain't working don't chase it - wait until the focus is back and then grind the tables.

You've got the maturity & game to make it work - don't let the demons take it away from you.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi,

Really enjoy reading your diary just dont post very often. Have seen you at the tables a little recently. I have a couple of Q's if/when you get time to answer?

How accurate do you find the site where your graphs from? I've been keeping a spreadsheet and the site appears to be out by some distance?

How many hrs do you have to play a month to make priority?

Run Good

Alex

• edited February 2013
    Another great post Pat if not a bit melancholy.

Stick at it, you know you've got the game to win, just stick to what you KNOW you're good at for a bit, get some confidence back and some roll. Rebuild and take another shot. Never built up as big as you but I've lost count how many times I've built my roll up, took a shot (or just run terrible and tilted), lost a load and had no choice but to go back to basics and rebuild.

My BR is like £600 now, a month ago it was £800, 2 months prior it was £100, swingaments :)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [The most important lesson for 2013?]:
    "not too great" - until the last 200 games more like **** eh! 

You've got the maturity & game to make it work - don't let the demons take it away from you.
    Posted by GELDY
    I really appreciate the words of wisedom Geldy. Great quote at the bottom, thank you. 

In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [The most important lesson for 2013?]:
    Hi, Really enjoy reading your diary just dont post very often. Have seen you at the tables a little recently. I have a couple of Q's if/when you get time to answer? How accurate do you find the site where your graphs from? I've been keeping a spreadsheet and the site appears to be out by some distance? How many hrs do you have to play a month to make priority? Run Good Alex
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa

1) I find them fairly accurate, not sure exactly how much though (but the graphs look pretty anyway).

2) I normally try to maximise the number of games I'm playing at a time, so optimally during a 'efficient' session, I'll have no less than 8 running at stakes between £5 and £22. It all depends on your average buyin-in and number of tables your playing. But for me, it's probably 2 and a half to 3 hours a day if I play most days in the month. Probably around 3 and a half if you're just playing £5.50-£11 games. Hope this somewhat helps. 

Feel free to shoot me any other Qs you have Alex.

In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [The most important lesson for 2013?]:
    Another great post Pat if not a bit melancholy. Stick at it, you know you've got the game to win, just stick to what you KNOW you're good at for a bit, get some confidence back and some roll. Rebuild and take another shot. Never built up as big as you but I've lost count how many times I've built my roll up, took a shot (or just run terrible and tilted), lost a load and had no choice but to go back to basics and rebuild. My BR is like £600 now, a month ago it was £800, 2 months prior it was £100, swingaments :)
    Posted by Lambert180

Balance in this thread haha. I can fully sympathise with your swings, some weeks you just feel as if you're going nowhere/backwards/were better off just not playing - All I can say is stick at it, keep trying to improve, find a game and crush it. Always chase a dream though, take shots in the high rollers every month or so as a reward for commitment. 

Best of luck

Pat

--

I previously said that I'm attempting to reach 12,000 points, something I've only ever acomplished once, due to the SNG Champ promotion. With Febuary being a short month, and me being WELL BEHIND Priority pace anyway, I need some encouragement - Hopefully I can find it through this thread. 

I'll be trying to include daily updates including current BR and current PPs:

Current BR: £502 (Started the week with £210)
    Current C4P: 6870 (Started the week with around 3200)

GOGOGOGOOGO 

• edited February 2013
    Well you got 5130 more points to go and 7 days to do it.

732 points per day.

Assuming an average game is £11 so on average you get 10 points per game (obv some are more, some are less)

10 tables = 100 points per round of games, and I reckon your average DYM is gonna be about 30 mins give or take, so 200 points per hour roughly

So.... just need to do 3.5 hours of 10 tabling every day for the next 7 days... easy :)

Gonna be tough mate but definitely do-able!
  • edited February 2013
    Current BR: £502 (Started the week with £210)
    Current C4P: 6870 (Started the week with around 3200)

More than doubling your roll since the start of the week is great form! keep it up and just put in the hours at the games you know you can crush and i'm sure you will easily hit your target. Good luck.

• edited February 2013
    Pat u are a machine at DYM's Im sure u'll make 12k points.
    Good luck
  • edited February 2013
    taking shots is fun, harsh when they don't work but just grind it back up and next time maybe the shots will work.

I think we all learn a little morre about our game and character to not make the same mistakes again.

good luck

• edited February 2013

Really appreciate the words of encouragement everyone, especially from Jamie and Paul who have been following this thread from the start. 

Today, wow. Stress levels went through the roof. Was -£100 at one point, but persistance paid off. Probably my highest ever day volume wise.

Graph says it all:

Current BR: £532.50 (+£30.50 for the day)
    Current C4P: 7960 (+1090)

--

Resting up for a long day tomorrow.

• edited February 2013
    Great work Pat. Always a great feeling when you turn round a session which starts out with a big loss even if it's only to get it back to break even.

C4P wise, you smashed what I said you need to get each day, keep that up and you can have a couple of days off  in Feb ;)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [Discipline, Endurance and a Goal]:
    Great work Pat. Always a great feeling when you turn round a session which starts out with a big loss even if it's only to get it back to break even. C4P wise, you smashed what I said you need to get each day, keep that up and you can have a couple of days off  in Feb ;)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Complete agree Paul, nothing like a big turn around :)

Not sure how much I'll play today as I plan to remain living some sort of a social existance, but 9k points would be nice.  

GOGOGOOGO
  • edited February 2013

Swingy day yesterday, little heater followed by a huge run of coolers to end break even. Decided to see the gf in the evening instead of playing. It was definitely worth skipping Poker for.

C4P as of this morning: 8550

--

Currently playing at the moment, so will update later with current points and BR.
  • edited February 2013

I woke up early yesterday and went to our final American Football game of the season. It was absolutely freezing, but we pushed through and stormed through to win 30-0. It felt great to end the season on a high. Because of the game, I didn't get to start registering in games until 5pm, but I buckled down and got in two big sessions for a productive day. Played mostly £11-£22 with a couple £5s when it got slow and a game selected £33. 

Current BR: £671.50 (+£139) (Started the challenge with £210)
    Current C4P: 9515 (+965)  (Started the challenge with around 3200)

--

I've finally achieved something I've long wanted to do - A positive ROI in DYMS over £3:

Noteable ROI's:

£11 DYMS 7.7% ROI - 3165

£22 DYMS 2.1% ROI - 413 

£33 DYMS 0.7% ROI - 45

£55 DYMS 8.5% ROI - 20 

Not the greatest sample size in the world. I've felt I've run particularly bad in the £20s over the relatively small sample, but I'd be happy with a long term ROI of around 3.5% in them. 

Interestingly, according to my calculations even at 2.1% ROI, the £22 DYMs are fairly lucrative - £20/100*2.1= 42p a game + 0.68p RB (@ 0.34 per point) = £1.10 a game. 

-

Around 2.5k points to go in 4 days. Also have a figure in my head I'd like to hit BR wise, but no point posting as I can't really control whether I hit it. 

GOGOGOOGOGOGO

• edited February 2013

Decided that I'm done early for the day. Going over to the gf's for some much needed. 

-
    Results wise, disappointing early afternoon session followed by a great evening session. Also finally hit Priority, 3 days left of the month to complete a little under 2,000 points. 

Current BR: £756 (+£84.50)
    Current C4P: 10,020 (+470)  

--
  • edited February 2013

massive respect to any winning dym player,its not everyones cup of tea but there an art form in there self, ive played loads in the past and i just cant master them at all,

great diary!!!

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [Discipline, Endurance and a Goal]:
    massive respect to any winning dym player,its not everyones cup of tea but there an art form in there self, ive played loads in the past and i just cant master them at all, great diary!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I appreciate your input. It's true that there is definitely an art form to them. Many players overlook the underlying strategy of DYMs, especially with reference to calling shoves too light/not light enough, being too active/passive in certain stages etc etc. 

Feel free to post any relevent questions you have. All the best.

Patwalshh

• edited February 2013

I've got to post updates on the bad days as well as the good. Yesterday was a complete nightmare. I've had major software issues with Sky and got kicked out of my games during a crucial time. Luckily for me, Priority team are fantastic and managed to refund me £33 because of it. Probably should be around break even EV wise, but instead I lost around £230. I played 2 £55 DYMs, and lost JJ < A10 aipf and a player in mp 100/200 and couldn't fold to a double barrell on Axxx and called me with A2!!!!!!!!!! 

Dabbled in 25p/50p for over 5 tables for around 30 minutes, and won around half a buy in. Even though I didn't play much at all, I was exceptionally happy with the way I played. I love how creative I can become in cash, and really love to put pressure on different players. Exploiting and merging ranges ftw!!

-29.6% ROI in the £11 DYMS for the day, which I continue to run bad at over a 1k game sample (out of nearly 4k played)

Current BR: £570.50
    Current C4P: 11,016

Looking to hit 12k points today, but I'll have to see how I run. 

Chin up and GOGOGOGOGOGOGO
  • edited February 2013
    Ouch!

I guess swings will be bigger if you're playing much higher stakes than before.
    You obviously know what you're doing but... £55 Dym's off a £570 BR?
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Patwalshh - My Ongoing Journey [Discipline, Endurance and a Goal] : I appreciate your input. It's true that there is definitely an art form to them. Many players overlook the underlying strategy of DYMs, especially with reference to calling shoves too light/not light enough, being too active/passive in certain stages etc etc.  Feel free to post any relevent questions you have. All the best. Patwalshh
    Posted by patwalshh[/QUOT

i try to play like a nit for the first 4 levels and then loosen up in position after that, i very rarely bust out early unless its a cooler so i think its my bubble play that needs attention ,im an mtt player there for im shoving a wide range when down to 10bbs in position, is this correct or should we tighten up with stacks being shallow for everyone in a dym?
  • edited February 2013
    Ouch! I guess swings will be bigger if you're playing much higher stakes than before. You obviously know what you're doing but... £55 Dym's off a £570 BR?
    Posted by Jac35
    It was off a £700 odd bankroll not £570, just a shot.
  • edited February 2013
    i try to play like a nit for the first 4 levels and then loosen up in position after that, i very rarely bust out early unless its a cooler so i think its my bubble play that needs attention ,im an mtt player there for im shoving a wide range when down to 10bbs in position, is this correct or should we tighten up with stacks being shallow for everyone in a dym?
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Sounds fine to be honest, as long as you don't play it like a BH and don't always go for the win/identify when to shove certain ranges, and when not to, you'll be fine. 

--

Unfortunately I never actually got around to playing yesterday - Don't even ask me why. Either way, I've got just under 1k points to earn today. Starting an afternoon session now, going to hit the gym after, do some work and then crack on for the afternooon from around 5.30. Rungood on the last day would be nice, so hopefully a quote from the Dalai Lama can put this into motion: 

'We need material development, but we need to understand that by itself it doesn’t bring peace of mind.'

Gogogogogogo
  • edited March 2013

Hugely disappointing end to Febuary and ended the last few days massively down just from DYMs. I've never ran so bad over such a large sample before. My closing bankroll was £360 odd, which was well down from a peak of nearly £800. But oh well. I hit 12,000 points so earnt £408 in rakeback, and hopefully have a birthday bonus coming my way towards the end of March.

All SNGs Feb (including a bunch of HU Hypers)

Just DYM Febuary:

Life wise, I had a very difficult past week. Fortunately I got my Rolex back on Friday since sending it off for repair (it just stopped working lol), luckily it was under warrenty so it didn't cost me anything. Since then my luck has completely changed. Had a great night out Friday. Crushed a tournament on FTP for the tune of $1k on Saturday. Perfect time for an influx of condifence given that I'm being backed to play the $7m gtd Sunday Million special on Stars for a 70/30 split on profit in backers favour.

My FTP graph is looking sexehh anyway:

Onwards and upwards

Gogogogogo

• edited March 2013