You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Lovely pics mate.

Remember the winners MTT chart is a lot less smooth than the DYM one. Getting it in drawing dead is underrated anyway imo!
  • edited March 2014
    Nice photo's Jac ;)

Although I cant really relate to your choice of football club.

Where were you looking for the Northern Lights?  I went to Iceland a few years back and saw some incredible Northern Lights whilst I was there.

You see the pictures and think to yourself 'surely these look better than they actually are'.  But no, they are quite stunning to watch.  I'd love to go back some time.  Natures awesome.
  • edited March 2014
    Great pics mate :)

Dont beat yourself up about the call with 10's we've all been there.
    I personally think its a definite fold because i cant see them shoving a worse pair and then your flipping at best or more likely crushed :( .
    More importantly you said you were playing well and was very comfortable at the table this would lead me even more so to find the fold. I seriously don't tink you'd have given a second thought to folding 6's or 7's in this spot and at the end of the day they play very similarly to tens against the villians percieved range.

On the bright side your obviously playing well enough to get this deep with a stack in the first place. I'm sure the big cash is not too far off.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Nice photo's Jac ;) Although I cant really relate to your choice of football club. Where were you looking for the Northern Lights?  I went to Iceland a few years back and saw some incredible Northern Lights whilst I was there. You see the pictures and think to yourself 'surely these look better than they actually are'.  But no, they are quite stunning to watch.  I'd love to go back some time.  Natures awesome.
    Posted by gazza127
    +1.

Saw them in Reykjavic a couple of years ago. Taken out of the city centre on a bus about 10pm. Driven to a small church right next to a beach, absolutely bo11ock freezing but so atmospheric and when the lights made an appearance, its something that will always stay with me. Blue lagoon is also essential should you ever find yourself in Iceland. 

Lovely pics, sorry for the hijack ;)
  • edited March 2014
    Love the pics jac and congrats again on the new addition to your family..........and hope your other new addition (PS4) arrives soon.

Re: The call with the 10's, these are spots where I normally end up calling and regretting it. What would be the weakest hand where we call with 25bbs??? Dohhh mentioned JJ but if we are gonna call with that then surely 10's must be close??
  • edited March 2014
    Nice photo's Jac ;) Although I cant really relate to your choice of football club. Where were you looking for the Northern Lights?  I went to Iceland a few years back and saw some incredible Northern Lights whilst I was there. You see the pictures and think to yourself 'surely these look better than they actually are'.  But no, they are quite stunning to watch.  I'd love to go back some time.  Natures awesome.
    Posted by gazza127
    Northern Lights were wonderful.
    Photo is Kirkenes Airport near the Russian border. We did the North to South cruise down to Bergen in Norway.
    We saw the lights twice. The best time being at Tromso where it was jaw dropping..
    What's your team?
    From that hand
    Yeah, I think if he raises flop, I'm in trouble. He def got the min.
    Lucky for me. Managed to sneak 3rd in the end. Your nemesis from last week, TheRock, got me in the end.
  • edited March 2014
    The 10's hand.
    Is there any rational to thinking, why would he just shove here with a huge hand? I wouldn't be doing that, would just standard min. Probably a lack of awareness by me on other players thought processes. I prob have the only hand which he dominates, that can call here.

Funnily enough, these are spots where I normally do fold. Dym background probably an influence here. Just recently, I've had discussions with people where they've suggested that I need to take on these spots a bit more. 
    Frustrating that I went against my normal instincts, which would be, "I'm probably ahead but don't need to get involved at this stage"
  • edited March 2014
    The 10's hand. Is there any rational to thinking, why would he just shove here with a huge hand? I wouldn't be doing that, would just standard min. Probably a lack of awareness by me on other players thought processes. I prob have the only hand which he dominates, that can call here. Funnily enough, these are spots where I normally do fold. Dym background probably an influence here. Just recently, I've had discussions with people where they've suggested that I need to take on these spots a bit more.  Frustrating that I went against my normal instincts, which would be, "I'm probably ahead but don't need to get involved at this stage"
    Posted by Jac35
    Like you say though.........why would a huge hand shove there? I think a LOT of the time you're gonna be up against a small pair or someone with AK/AQ and doesn't wanna see a flop. But it is a gamble and the better players are saying it's a fold.....I bet some of them end up calling in game though!
  • edited March 2014
    Funny night

Decided that I wanted to play the main but would try and sat in. 3 goes, 3 failures.

Played 50Nl for 10 minutes and lost a buy in in a ridiculous hand. Love to know what opponents thoughts were during every stage of the hand.

Did sat into the 9.00BH but decided as it was going pretty badly I'd take the cash.

Played the £22deepstack for the 2nd time and maintained my 100% record in it of finishing 3rd. Made a hopeless play 3 handed which was pretty embarrassing. Cashed for £120. I like that tourney.

Played pretty grimly in some £15 and £20 Dyms as SjSpanky would confirm. Won them all though, I run good in Dyms. Fun one where I was down to 170 chips on the bubble and cashed with ease :)

Bust the mini roller in a standard flip AK v QQ

Finished +£94 which is great considering I played like a knob for most of the night.

Looks like play offs (hopefully) at best for us now. Guess we bust a lot of bets yesterday. With Burnley winning, it looks unlikely we can get 2nd now. Njce to see Paulo Wanchope back at Derby. He was a bit of a poor mans Asprilla. Was part of the best Derby team I've ever seen under Jim Smith. Good chant as well. "Wanchope, you've only come to see the Wanchope"

Hosted all the couples and babies from the NCT classes Penny dragged me to yesterday evening/night. Thought they might stay a couple of hours. 6 hours later the last of them finally sodded off! I had been at work at 6.00 in the morning after a couple of hours sleep Friday night and so it was a joy to have them all stay so long. Obviously Harry then decided against sleep last night. Got to bed at 6.00 this morning. Just a little tired right now.
  • edited March 2014
    Sigh Ivan

Give me run good every time. Played really well tonight. Didn't play much. Small profit in a few Dyms. Had a punt in the £2 Speed, couldn't be arrssed to rebuy and then.

Just bust 12th in the £2000Bh

2 consecutive hands.
    KK v 44 allin pre for chip lead and a £11 bounty.
    Next hand down to 7 bigs shove cut off with AceX. KQ calls, flop the Ace and he rivers a straight.

+£39 night
    Much prefer the playbad and get lucky stuff that I normally do!
    Really pleased that for the small volume of tourneys I'm playing, I'm having consistent deep runs. Just need to start converting.
  • edited March 2014
    Age thing?

Don't know, maybe.

10 years ago I was playing 5 nights a week at Gala Notts. Other than Wednesdays, they were all rebuys. Probably spending approx £400 a week on tournaments. 8 years ago, I was playing 4 nights a week at DTD, probably spending £500+ on tournaments followed by sitting with £300 at cash, when I bust the comp.

Nowadays, I'm hardly playing 'live' at all and am reluctant to buy in for more than £20/30 for a tourney. I'm in a much better position financially now than I was then,  so what is it?

Really don't know. I've always been a bit reticent about buying in for decent amounts online. Live, I always saw it as as a night out as I way to justify it to myself a little.

Do we just become a bit more responsible as we get older?  Haven't a clue.
    Confidence wise, I'm pretty ok. I've had a reasonable record in tournaments on here. 

I rail a few of the bigger comps and wish I was playing in them.

Sigh, I'll prob just plod along in the Dyms 
  • edited March 2014
    Small moan alert!

52 left in mini

I have 16000, average 26000

AJ in BB, button mins 1600  playing 18000.

I shove, he calls with ..... 6 3

gg mini

Help!

While I'm moaning
    I think I won a PS4 a while ago. Must have dreamt it.

Oh, Conor Sammon is still rubbish.

My knee hurts.

Bought a latte today. Stupid lid was cracked. Went everywhere
  • edited March 2014
    lol.

Can you think of a good footballer in recent years who has a bald head?

Can you think of a good footballer in recent years who is white, and has a bald head?

Things that make u go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • edited March 2014
    lol. Can you think of a good footballer in recent years who has a bald head? Can you think of a good footballer in recent years who is white, and has a bald head? Things that make u go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Easy

Zinedine Zidane
    Japp Stam
    Arjen Robben
    Fabien Barthez (fits the bald criteria anyway)
    and best of all, Derby's
    Lee Carsley
  • edited March 2014
    Stephen Ireland.
  • edited March 2014
    Stephen Ireland.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Good footballers, Fred

Looked at my post counts on here and wondered if there were any poker sites with those sort of numbers. To my surprise, there is.
    Downloaded it and not sure I'm keen
  • edited March 2014
    He was class a couple of years ago! Ireland is Superman.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Easy Zinedine Zidane Japp Stam Arjen Robben Fabien Barthez (fits the bald criteria anyway) and best of all, Derby's Lee Carsley
    Posted by Jac35
    I'd totally forgotten about asking that question, was waiting until the break to reply. hahahaha

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I've just lost 4 tables in 5 minutes, so I can reply now. yayyy.

It was midnight Friday after a lot of strongbow. What was I thinking. :/

Looks like the question was inspired by Connor Sammon.

I was obviously struggling to think of any, and whilst typing the question I thought of Dion Dublin.

Instead of deleting, I changed the criteria to white guys only.

Turns out there are even more of those!

Friday night brainfart. doh !

Have since raised the topic on Skype, and there doubts about the baldness of Zidane? Looks pretty bald to me.

Also a vote for Atillio Lombardo, and Andy Johnson.

Whatever happened to Stephen Ireland btw? He had a wonder season then went to Villa. People shouldn't go to Villa. Shay Given was awesome, then he went to Villa. RIP his career.

Look out for tonights brainteaser.

Trying to decide between good fat fooballers and footballers with big noses.

Prob go with noses, find big nose gags too amusing.
  • edited March 2014
    Good fat footballers.....Richard Dunne.

Big nosed footballers.....Andy O'Brian(?), ex Newcastle and Pompey I think. Assuming I have the right guy. He had a corker of a conk.

Superman? Yeah, he had a couple of good seasons, followed by that immense season under Hughes, then he got sacked, in came Bobby Manc and the rest is history. Mancini suggested that he was mentally unstable. Suppose he had a point. Maybe Hughes can get the best out of him again at Stoke. Shame really, he was one of my favourites and on course to be a City legend before it went belly up.

Vialli for good and bald btw? 
  • edited March 2014
    Good fat footballers.....Richard Dunne. Big nosed footballers.....Andy O'Brian(?), ex Newcastle and Pompey I think. Assuming I have the right guy. He had a corker of a conk. Superman? Yeah, he had a couple of good seasons, followed by that immense season under Hughes, then he got sacked, in came Bobby Manc and the rest is history. Mancini suggested that he was mentally unstable. Suppose he had a point. Maybe Hughes can get the best out of him again at Stoke. Shame really, he was one of my favourites and on course to be a City legend before it went belly up. Vialli for good and bald btw? 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Not sure about baldiness. Same applies to Nicholas Anelka.

Micky Quinn  fat and good
    Dave Mackay fat and genius
  • edited March 2014
    Ibrahimovic has a prize winning conk.

Quite a few quality players have got fat towards the end, but Andy Reid sticks out as someone who was always a bit of a porker but dream of a left foot. Neil Redfearn in that boat too I reckon (extra bouyancy aids required for that particular boat I reckon).
  • edited March 2014

Just a coincidence all Irish internationals. lol.

We all really taught Ireland had the world at his feet then grannygate and all that happened.

Ps Hope your PS4 arrives soon pal.

Good fat footballers.....Richard Dunne.

Big nosed footballers.....Andy O'Brian(?), ex Newcastle and Pompey I think. Assuming I have the right guy. He had a corker of a conk.

Superman? Yeah, he had a couple of good seasons, followed by that immense season under Hughes, then he got sacked, in came Bobby Manc and the rest is history. Mancini suggested that he was mentally unstable. Suppose he had a point. Maybe Hughes can get the best out of him again at Stoke. Shame really, he was one of my favourites and on course to be a City legend before it went belly up.
  • edited March 2014
    molby and the fat ronaldo come to mind

fat AND well nosed: le tissier.
  • edited March 2014
    Just a coincidence all Irish internationals. lol. We all really taught Ireland had the world at his feet then grannygate and all that happened. Ps Hope your PS4 arrives soon pal. Good fat footballers.....Richard Dunne. Big nosed footballers.....Andy O'Brian(?), ex Newcastle and Pompey I think. Assuming I have the right guy. He had a corker of a conk. Superman? Yeah, he had a couple of good seasons, followed by that immense season under Hughes, then he got sacked, in came Bobby Manc and the rest is history. Mancini suggested that he was mentally unstable. Suppose he had a point. Maybe Hughes can get the best out of him again at Stoke. Shame really, he was one of my favourites and on course to be a City legend before it went belly up.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Think the media went to town on him over this pretty unfairly. Ultimately, his girlfriend suffered a miscarriage, and that seemed to get lost amongst the sea of conjecture. He apparently wasn't sure that was a good enough reason to withdraw from the Ireland squad. Hence the Grandma story, and then the other Grandma story. But we've all been there where we tell a lie with good intentions, and then it spirals as you try to dig yourself out of trouble.

Just a shame that the tabloids then had a field day with him, when if he'd just been honest from the start, who knows what situation he'd be in now. Certainly one of the most naturally gifted footballers I've ever had the pleasure to watch.
  • edited March 2014
    molby and the fat ronaldo come to mind fat AND well nosed: le tissier.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Genius 2 boot!

Love "well nosed"

Have Diddi Hammann. Phil Thompson.

Scousers obv.

U get diff types of noses.

Admittedly the longer ones r the best, but that's pretty standard in life innit.

Will think on......
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Easy Zinedine Zidane Japp Stam Arjen Robben Fabien Barthez (fits the bald criteria anyway) and best of all, Derby's Lee Carsley
    Posted by Jac35
    Everton's Lee Carsley
    Possibly the most underrated player of the premier league era.
    Yes, he was THAT good.
  • edited March 2014
    Tommy Mooney was deadly in the lower leagues.
  • edited March 2014
    Temuri Ketsbia.
  • edited March 2014
    Thomas Graveson.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Everton's Lee Carsley Possibly the most underrated player of the premier league era. Yes, he was THAT good.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Agree

Many people say our problems started when Mclaren went to Man United.
    For me it was selling Carsley at around the same time.
    Got £3 million for him and signed useless Seth Johnson for more money.
    Silver lining was that Dirty Leeds were stupid enough to take him off us for £9 million!