You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Hey Paul

How is wee man doing? Plenty of late night poker at the mo?:P

Still playing live, or less so now?

I'm thinking about playing live a bit more in the next week or too. 
  • edited March 2014
    Andy Reid obviously doesn't get any stick for being fat, from Derby fans, Mike :)

Ketsbia - best/weirdest goal celebration ever?

Mollby was a genius. Same team, John Barnes (might have become fat a bit later)

Gazza

Steve Bruce, nose must have been broken a fair few times.

Franny Lee - fat and probably best football fight ever, stay with it

Other football fights? Football hooligan films? Old ones are best for me. ID and The Firm

Just realised. I'm Joey Kinish. Wanna be Mike McDowell 

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Agree Many people say our problems started when Mclaren went to Man United. For me it was selling Carsley at around the same time. Got £3 million for him and signed useless Seth Johnson for more money. Silver lining was that Dirty Leeds were stupid enough to take him off us for £9 million!
    Posted by Jac35
    Love the story of when Leeds signed him. Shows how messed up their financial dealings were....Seth Johnson sits in the office discussing personal terms with I assume Risdale and others but not sure. Apparently SJ was looking to double his basic Derby wage, but this hadn't been brought up, just a hopeful thought he kept to himself. Leeds offer him £25k a week, which is way way more than he earnt in the midlands. SJ and his advisor sit there so shocked that they can't speak. Leeds take this as them holding out for more and offer him an extra £5k a week.

Wp Leeds, gg.
  • edited March 2014
    Ruddock was a quality porker, used the weight to his advantage (though probably again not too heavy til the end).

'super' Claus Jensen another great baldie

Possibly not yet in the great player bracket but Shelvey has a shiny bonce and is at a nasal advantage.

Surely bonus points for filling in the centre of the Venn...??
  • edited March 2014
  • edited March 2014
    I had a fabulous time at the match yesterday.

Beating Forest is great.
    Beating Forest 5-0 is super great.
    Beating Forest 5-0 and Billy Davies being their Manager is super, super great. (Super super great is better than just great I hear these days)

A couple of weeks ago it looked as though this match would be huge as we were going for automatic promotion. After recent results it was still huge but for a slightly different reason. I think most Derby fans were a little concerned that we could end up missing out on the play offs. I believe we'll be fine now for that. Burnley appear to have 2nd locked up. Good luck to them. I'd much prefer them to get promotion than QPR. Also, with Burnley being the Bromleys team, it's all good.

I imagine that everyone watched our magnificence on the box yesterday. Chelsea v Arsenal couldn't possibly be a bigger draw for armchair fans.

The Sng promotion is wonderful. There's so much to take into consideration for it and it's totally inclusive. I've noticed that some of the players who have set the early pace have dropped back a bit after playing more games. What a decision to make. Do we think we've done enough and stop playing after posting a good score? Or are we confident that we can improve it further and take the risk of playing more?

I think it's still really difficult to judge what would be enough to make the top 6. There are going to be plenty of people holding back from completing their 30 games until right towards the end. The last day could be really fascinating.

I had a good start. After 12 games I was at 67%. After 23 games that's fallen to 48% which still leaves me in contention if I have a good finish but still disappointing to drop back. 6 tabling them was prolly a bit silly.

I need a good finish and if I have that I will most likely stop and see if it's enough. I have a number in mind and  will follow it closely to see if I'm right.
  • edited March 2014

Well I'm done with the SNG challenge.

Had a decent run tonight in them. Played 7, 3 wins, 2 2nds and 2 no cashes. It's got me up to 61.8% which I think may be a bit short in the final reckoning.

Frustrating last game where heads up I checked back AJ on a Ace high board heads up. He got there with runner runner flush and I finished 2nd. Could be costly. Happy it was right play, he'd called all ins preflop with Q8 etc and I think would have gone with his hand if he'd hit any piece of the board. Hindsights always great. Should have just 'mashed' (popular word it seems) the bet button on flop I suppose.

• edited March 2014
    Well I'm done with the SNG challenge. Had a decent run tonight in them. Played 7, 3 wins, 2 2nds and 2 no cashes. It's got me up to 61.8% which I think may be a bit short in the final reckoning. Frustrating last game where heads up I checked back AJ on a Ace high board heads up. He got there with runner runner flush and I finished 2nd. Could be costly. Happy it was right play, he'd called all ins preflop with Q8 etc and I think would have gone with his hand if he'd hit any piece of the board. Hindsights always great. Should have just 'mashed' (popular word it seems) the bet button on flop I suppose.
    Posted by Jac35
    Give u 20 quid for 10% of the 'final' sng action. If you don't make it, u keep the 20!

I won my 1st sng. I felt like I was half way there.

I bricked my next 11, not even a 2nd!

Then gave up.

I reckon 62% will be plenty. Impressive stats, wp.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Give u 20 quid for 10% of the 'final' sng action. If you don't make it, u keep the 20! I won my 1st sng. I felt like I was half way there. I bricked my next 11, not even a 2nd! Then gave up. I reckon 62% will be plenty. Impressive stats, wp.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks Dohhhh
    Really? that confident? Not sure, I hope so.
    It'll be a bit frustrating if I don't make it as I can't play any Dyms for the rest of the month now :)

I've just played the speed rebuy tonight, no good

Disappointed the thread I started regarding Spt's has been moved to a distant part of the forum.

Billy Davied sacked. That's a shame! It must really hurt that it was following losing to the Mighty Rams as well. Poor little mercenary.
  • edited March 2014
    Didn't you drop out of the top 6 of the Skill and Go? Either way I've seen you're back in it now. One of the top 6 people must have took your advice and carried on playing :)

Vwp, I'd hold on for as long as possible and only play another game until/if you drop out of the top 6.
  • edited March 2014
    Didn't you drop out of the top 6 of the Skill and Go? Either way I've seen you're back in it now. One of the top 6 people must have took your advice and carried on playing :) Vwp, I'd hold on for as long as possible and only play another game until/if you drop out of the top 6.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Paul
    Yeah, it's interesting

What tactics to employ?
    Sit tight and hope people may shoot themselves in the foot?
    Play 1 game at a time to try and nudge up the top 6 slightly but risk dropping out of it?
    Instinct is to try and hold my nerve and see how it's looking on Sunday.

Thoughts would be appreciated?

I'm hopeless with the maths. Now I've got a decent ROI. Let's say I play 1 Dym and win, what would that do for my %
    Flipside, play 1 Dym and lose. How many do I then need to cash in to recover?

Help!

• edited March 2014
    At this stage a loss would be FAR more detrimental than a win would be good. Not 100% sure on the exact figures but I suspect if you lost 1 DYM, you'd probably need to win 3 in a row just to get back where you started.

I'd sit tight, no point risking it for no reason. If you drop out the top 6 then you'll have plenty of time, it's not like you'll ever be more than a couple of wins from catching up (and if you lose a few then it's probably gg anyway), so even if you left it till like 5 hours before the end date you'd be able to play enough games if you needed to. So no rush imo, just hope to cling on and play the it 1 game at a time as and when necessary.
  • edited March 2014
    Have you tried chickmelt's spread sheet? Anyway, definitely best to just wait it out for now. Plenty of time left still and if you drop out before the end then you can try and work out whether you'll need to play a DYM or six max to try and get back in.
  • edited March 2014
    Forum ban for using the phrase 'Dirty Leeds' imo!

Seth Johnson. Sigh.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Thanks Paul Yeah, it's interesting What tactics to employ? Sit tight and hope people may shoot themselves in the foot? Play 1 game at a time to try and nudge up the top 6 slightly but risk dropping out of it? Instinct is to try and hold my nerve and see how it's looking on Sunday. Thoughts would be appreciated? I'm hopeless with the maths. Now I've got a decent ROI. Let's say I play 1 Dym and win, what would that do for my % Flipside, play 1 Dym and lose. How many do I then need to cash in to recover? Help!
    Posted by Jac35

here you go - use the orange downlaod button on the right, the rest are adverts.

it looks like a loss will bring you down about 6%, and a win will put you up 0.6% lol. If you want to increase your ROI a decent amount last minute, then you need to be playing regular 6max SNGs imo - a win in one of those would boost you by 6%.

• edited March 2014
    n1 Paul
    gl with the Skill seat
    shame so much english football junk in your diary
    used to enjoy reading it
  • edited March 2014
    n1 Paul gl with the Skill seat shame so much english football junk in your diary used to enjoy reading it
    Posted by GELDY
    Thankyou Geldy
    Direct as ever
    Inspire me, interaction is good. 
    What would you like me to talk about?
    Would be disappointing to lose your contributions to the thread
  • edited March 2014
    hey - peeps seem to like it so don't change just for me. i'm happy to pick over the ashes to look for still-glowing embers & little nuggets of gold.

as for me - well a 
    "JACs guide to crushing stts" wouldn't go amiss a la Tikay's hilo DYM thread
    "JACs guide to bring up a baby" to laugh along with (those memories)
    all your live poker current & nosta is great
    and if you must talk football how about what went wrong with english football, and what you need to learn from the Spanish & Germans

and stop setting me difficult questions - i've just gone out a stt hh because it was under my browser and i forgot about it. another nail in the skill challenge coffin

• edited March 2014
    hey - peeps seem to like it so don't change just for me. i'm happy to pick over the ashes to look for still-glowing embers & little nuggets of gold. as for me - well a  "JACs guide to crushing stts" wouldn't go amiss a la Tikay's hilo DYM thread "JACs guide to bring up a baby" to laugh along with (those memories) all your live poker current & nosta is great and if you must talk football how about what went wrong with english football, and what you need to learn from the Spanish & Germans and stop setting me difficult questions - i've just gone out a stt hh because it was under my browser and i forgot about it. another nail in the skill challenge coffin
    Posted by GELDY

The people paid 100's of thousands a year to try and answer this question still haven't a clue Geldy, give him a chance!
  • edited March 2014
    Geldy

Obv really
    England got rid of the finest Manager in all of the world. Mighty Mac!
    World Cup would have been a doddle with him in charge.
    And if only Conor Sammon was English

Just for you as well. Coming soon, Jacs alternate strategy guide to 6max Sng's, (WITH PICS) Will be concentrating mainly on table position. Will be one for the purists.

A sneak preview for you all

The cut-off

Much fun can be had playing from this position

Played 2 comps tonight, was a bit bored

£2 rebuy, was a dunce and missed the addon
    Came 4th. Pretty decent considering I chopped AA v AQ, lost 10's v Ace 7 and bust QQ v KJ. All in preflop in each case

£11Bh Bubbled, grrr. 3 bet all in with AK and got called by KJ. Apologies to RedArrows. I childishly tapped in 'nice call' in the chatbox. Let myself down a bit there. Just a bit frustrating when you bubble but regardless, stupid comment from me.
    Someone else wrote 'bubbleboy' to which I replied 'ta for that, didn't realise'. I think I'm ok in not apologising for that one :)

Some decent advice folks. Thanks for that. Yep, think you've confirmed for me that it will be right to wait it out and see where I am after the weekend. Dyms also look like a bad idea. If I have to play it will be the 6-max and i'll just see if my usual shove and hope tactics work their usual magic.
  • edited March 2014
    UL bubbling, I remember thinking what a good spot it was as you'd expect to be called only by the peak of the range but then, if he knows you know that he could give you credit for a much more marginal hand. Let's also not forget that a £6 bounty is also quite attractive when the next 10 pay jumps only cover £3 or whatever (but then if he knows you know he's attracted to the bounty you're narrowed down again, errr, i dunno).

I bust the hand after A9s < A7o, one of them, innit.

Underrated English players. Saw Gary Pallister on Question of Sport tonight. Him and Bruce as a centre-back partnership in the day, not sure how they got so few caps between them.
  • edited March 2014
    UL bubbling, I remember thinking what a good spot it was as you'd expect to be called only by the peak of the range but then, if he knows you know that he could give you credit for a much more marginal hand. Let's also not forget that a £6 bounty is also quite attractive when the next 10 pay jumps only cover £3 or whatever (but then if he knows you know he's attracted to the bounty you're narrowed down again, errr, i dunno). I bust the hand after A9s < A7o, one of them, innit. Underrated English players. Saw Gary Pallister on Question of Sport tonight. Him and Bruce as a centre-back partnership in the day, not sure how they got so few caps between them.
    Posted by bbMike
    Pretty sure  Bruce didn't ever get a cap.
    Very, very good premier league defender. Think he was just a big unlucky that Adams was around at the time. They were very similar players and Adams was arguably just a little bit better.
    I rarely write anyything uncomplimentary in chatboxes Mike. You always seem to be around when I do it! Must think I'm a right gobby xxxx :)
  • edited March 2014
    Not sure why anyone thinks you're a nice guy tbh. Must just be a crowd pleaser, Cantona-esque.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Thanks Dohhhh Really? that confident? Not sure, I hope so. It'll be a bit frustrating if I don't make it as I can't play any Dyms for the rest of the month now :) I've just played the speed rebuy tonight, no good ... Disappointed the thread I started regarding Spt's has been moved to a distant part of the forum. ... Billy Davied sacked. That's a shame! It must really hurt that it was following losing to the Mighty Rams as well. Poor little mercenary.
    Posted by Jac35
    Hi Paul,

Yes, I can understand why you would feel that.

It's been sent upstairs, though. I can't really add to Tighty's reply, at the moment, & I feel bad that I can't say more right now, as I like to think we are mates. The clash between mates & business is an awkward line. 

Soon, though....

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Hi Paul, Yes, I can understand why you would feel that. It's been sent upstairs, though. I can't really add to Tighty's reply, at the moment, & I feel bad that I can't say more right now, as I like to think we are mates. The clash between mates & business is an awkward line.  Soon, though....  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay

Thought you'd joined Geldy in abandoning this thread.  :)

Understandable really. I do appear to be more of a grumbling old man rather than a rambling old man these days. Can I get away with saying I'm a bit more tired? 

in truth,  I didn't really understand why the thread was moved. Cynically, I guessed that it was because it would get less exposure over there. 

I do realise though that i'm only looking at it from a personal point of view regarding the Spt's.I am no expert on what is the best way to go for Sky.

I think that a little bit more information would be good regarding plans for this year. I believe that there are plenty of forum regs who are really keen to find out the pkans.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Hi Tikay Thought you'd joined Geldy in abandoning this thread.  :) Understandable really. I do appear to be more of a grumbling old man rather than a rambling old man these days. Can I get away with saying I'm a bit more tired?  in truth,  I didn't really understand why the thread was moved. Cynically, I guessed that it was because it would get less exposure over there.  I do realise though that i'm only looking at it from a personal point of view regarding the Spt's.I am no expert on what is the best way to go for Sky. I think that a little bit more information would be good regarding plans for this year. I believe that there are plenty of forum regs who are really keen to find out the pkans.
    Posted by Jac35
    Abandoned this thread? No way! I read it every day. I just have so much on my plate right now. Exciting stuff, too, but not enough hours in the day. I wear a lot of hats, & spin a lot of plates.

I can't really comment on why the thread was moved, as I don't know, but I suggest it was moved to the right board, rather then the reasons you understandably suspect. It is awkward, for all manner of reasons. 

It might seem that nothing is happening, but thats not true. LOTS going off at Sky Poker right now as to various future initiatives. Think of the duck, serenely floating along the river, with no visible signs of propulsion, but under the water, his ickle-lickle legs are going 13 to the dozen. In the areas you were discussing, a LOT is being discussed & formulated right now. Whatever is decided, it won't please everyone, nothing ever will, but as the Business grows, it needs to constantly re-evaluate everything. 

Personally, I would also love that more info was made known, but the Business has to balance it's plans, priorities, & information dissemenation with great care.

When we did UKPC, I would LOVE to have blogged all the ins & outs, behind the scenes, everything, & in fact I kept a private log & diary of the whole 18 month story. But these sort of things can't ever be published, really, as they involve all sorts of delicate & discrete convos, agreements, disagreements, plans, da de da. 

Anyway, enough of that. How is the family?      

• edited March 2014
    Family are good thanks. 
    Slightly concerned the other day that Harry could be a bit ginger. Penny didn't appreciate my comments that he would have to be sent back.
    Been given the okay to do a skydive in a couple of months.  Seemed a good idea at the time. 
    Pass out to go to Dtd tomorrow night. Only 2nd live outing of the year. 
    Annual leave next week. Very happy about that
    Thinking of growing a pair as they say and playing the roller on Sunday
  • edited March 2014
    Family are good thanks.  Slightly concerned the other day that Harry could be a bit ginger. Penny didn't appreciate my comments that he would have to be sent back. Been given the okay to do a skydive in a couple of months.  Seemed a good idea at the time.  Pass out to go to Dtd tomorrow night. Only 2nd live outing of the year.  Annual leave next week. Very happy about that Thinking of growing a pair as they say and playing the roller on Sunday
    Posted by Jac35
    rofl

• edited March 2014
    now that's more like

skydiving eh? nothing like starting a family to instill a little responsibility into one's life. 

I suppose if you aren't going to be able to send Harry back then maybe removing yourself from the equation is the next best thing. (joking, obv). but seriously surprised you were given the ok for that. most new mums have an aversion to the father playing russian roulette.
  • edited March 2014
    The cut-off - rotfl
    not what i was expecting
    but nice nonetheless
    have to say she has lost the baby fat pretty well