You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I hope that most of the relatives can find peace and closure from this verdict. Their family have been formally cleared of any wrongdoing and the truth is now out and irrefutable. I dare say some will carry on until those responsible for the events and the cover up are held to account, which needs to happen of course.

On top of the human tragedy of loss of life, the pain and suffering brought about be the lies, in official circles and the press added so much unnecessary hurt and extra suffering over a ridiculous length of time.

I remember being at my cousins wedding on that day. News started filtering through as people tuned into their car radios after the ceremony but didn't really get the extent of what happened until we saw the news pictures on tv at the venue.

I didn't know any real Liverpool fans at the time and it wasn't until I moved up north and spoke to people from Liverpool that I began to realise some of the facts and questioned what I had read.

JFT96
    RIP
  • edited April 2016
    Just about the end of the month so time for look at results against goals.

Be a good Dad
    Not spent as much time as i should have done with Harry this month. And there was Shoegate.

Be happy
    Happyish

Post less on here and be positive when i do.
    Big tick there, if we just ignore Spamgate and maybe a couple of other minor discretions :)

Watch Derby in Premier League (It is Premier League, not this EPL rubbish)
    Still a chance i guess

Make priority at least 6 times
    Fail so far. Bit frustrating that i didn't put enough volume in on double points weekends. Going to end up with about 8k this month.

Play 95% Dyms
    Not quite but we're going back to that plan

Not one hand of online cash
    Huge fail

Have a 10k year
    Stalled ths month. One of my worst months for a long time. £361 down at mtts. Had a terrible run in them. £130 down at cash online. Up £191 at dyms. Won £180 at live cash when i played with the fat lad. Going to be around £210 in rakeback for the month. So still in profit for month but not much at all. Still on track although i've lost my buffer.

A lot of new players across the stakes at Dyms right now. Putting some of them on a hand is proving difficult. Got a read right in 1 £20 dym last night. Guy was pretty wild. First level i raise in sb with AQ and he flats in bb. A 3 2 flop. I can't remember getting it in with AQ in the first level for a very long time but i felt confident i was ahead. I cbet and he shoved. He had A6 and it was gg me by the river. It was that kind of night.
    Took me back 10 years that hand :)
  • edited April 2016
    Playing at Derby again on Sunday night. Hopefully be able to get May off to a good start.
    From a decent sample of 3 live mtts this year, I've had a first, a second and just missed the cash in the other one.
    2/2 winning cash sessions as well.

I'm a pretty rubbish online player but a pretty rubbish online player is generally better than a pretty rubbish live player :)
  • edited April 2016
    A drunk woman thinking she had a straight when she only had T high is the sole reason you left Genting in profit. I think that needs to be clarified.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    A drunk woman thinking she had a straight when she only had T high is the sole reason you left Genting in profit. I think that needs to be clarified.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Is this also the reason you pulled that night?
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Is this also the reason you pulled that night?
    Posted by MattBates
    Matthew, I'd been drinking for 15 hours, I couldn't even pull my socks off when I eventually got back to the hotel at almost 5.30 in the AM.
  • edited April 2016
    Frustrating day at dyms 
    Ran pretty well this morning when I had a spare 90 minutes and won £37. Played tonight and lost £32. Ran really badly at times. Just regular stuff but they do seem to come like buses. Space of 2 minutes KK on button v bb Aces and QQ on button v sb KK.

Had a lot of games going at most times and i tend to ignore most chat. Was very surprised by a comment after 1 hand from a very experienced player. It left me pretty perplexed. I'll never change unfortunately. It's all I've thought about for the last hour.

Got up to 2132 points for week and so 20% rakeback. I'll have a couple of days off online now. Not really making any headway at the moment and not playing well either. Golf tomorrow night and then a few pints and then the rebuy at Derby to look forward to on Sunday night.

Derby on tv on Monday but I think I might miss it. Not too bothered at the moment. Just waiting for the playoffs and more pain.

• edited April 2016
    Frustrating day at dyms  Ran pretty well this morning when I had a spare 90 minutes and won £37. Played tonight and lost £32. Ran really badly at times. Just regular stuff but they do seem to come like buses. Space of 2 minutes KK on button v bb Aces and QQ on button v sb KK. Had a lot of games going at most times and i tend to ignore most chat. Was very surprised by a comment after 1 hand from a very experienced player. It left me pretty perplexed. I'll never change unfortunately. It's all I've thought about for the last hour. Got up to 2132 points for week and so 20% rakeback. I'll have a couple of days off online now. Not really making any headway at the moment and not playing well either. Golf tomorrow night and then a few pints and then the rebuy at Derby to look forward to on Sunday night. Derby on tv on Monday but I think I might miss it. Not too bothered at the moment. Just waiting for the playoffs and more pain.
    Posted by Jac35
    Illuminous balls?
  • edited April 2016
    Thank you.

Good luck tomorrow.
  • edited May 2016
    Thank you. Good luck tomorrow.
    Posted by day4eire76
    pre bok?

Good start to the rebuy
    Fold for 2 orbits and then get QQ in bb. 4 limpers and I raise 
    First limper pulls the old 1996 move of 'back raising'
    I peel 
    J high board all the way to river. Check call all the way.
    Pretty sure he's got aces but want to prove myself right.
    I was wrong
    He had KK
    "CHIPS"

Even more annoying is that you get an extra 5k chips if you're there at the start
    So only for 15k for the rebuy

It better news, my 2nd pint has just arrived
  • edited May 2016
    Game seems quite good though. 
    It's like being sent back in time to 1996. 

3 more all in hands since.
    Q8 v A5 on 8 5 10 on flop

AK v 910 on J 5 2 
    4bet hand pre and 9 10 shoved the flop

Limped hand and then a 7x raise. 4 callers and Q9 beats QJ for a full double up on Q x x flop
  • edited May 2016
    Trebled up :)

Set of 6s v AK and 54!
    On
    6 K 4 Q
  • edited May 2016
    That was awkward

A lad called Ribs has this really annoying habit of sitting too close. As I try to squeeze into my seat he lifts his arm to take a sip from his coffee. I catch his arm. He now has a very wet lap.

Cig break
  • edited May 2016
    Heater
    139k with avg at 42k
  • edited May 2016
    Bah
    Busto 11th
    2 limps and I shove 
    A2 snaps and it's GG 
  • edited May 2016
    Well, up £175 at cash so far,so profit on the night 
    Plenty of time though 
    Beer count is impressive
  • edited May 2016
    Bah Busto 11th 2 limps and I shove  A2 snaps and it's GG 
    Posted by Jac35
    No mention of your hand....qas A2 good pre?
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : No mention of your hand....qas A2 good pre?
    Posted by MattBates
    It was
    KQdd for me
  • edited May 2016
  • edited May 2016
    Wide awake at 11am wasn't really what I wanted.
    Feel just a little rough.
    Checked my pockets and I'm pleased to report that I have £80 more in them than I did at the start of last night. Was down around £200 for the night at one point but then had two nice hands.
    Had Aces after putting the £4 straddle on. Got looked up by one player after I'd raised. He caught a bit of it and I got a full double up them for about a £380 pot. Got Kings a few minutes later and won another £140 or so.
    Skill game!

I may have mentioned this before but I really am too old for getting in at 6am. Off work next Monday as well so no doubt i do it all over again next Sunday. I'll never learn :)

• edited May 2016
    Played for 7 hours yesterday in total while the sun was shining outside.
    £45 in rakeback and lost £47.
    Had a ball

Pokered out.
    Going to watch Liverpool tonight and golf tomorrow 
  • edited May 2016
    I remember reading a post not too long ago about you talking about cheering for other English teams in European competitions and how you can't understand how many people don't.

My personal view is: Yes, they're English teams in the sense they play in England and in the BPL. However, the majority of the teams we have in europe have far too many foreign players (as well as foreign managers) for me to really consider them as English teams. From a selfish point of view, I want the clubs that I have no direct rivalry with to do well - so for me; Liverpool, City, United, Leicester so that the BPL doesn't lost it's 4th CL spot. But cheering Arsenal? No thanks :) Although like most people I do like underdogs so whenever they play Barca/Real/Bayern - part of me wants them to do well - as long as it's not the final!
  • edited May 2016
    I remember reading a post not too long ago about you talking about cheering for other English teams in European competitions and how you can't understand how many people don't. My personal view is: Yes, they're English teams in the sense they play in England and in the BPL. However, the majority of the teams we have in europe have far too many foreign players (as well as foreign managers) for me to really consider them as English teams. From a selfish point of view, I want the clubs that I have no direct rivalry with to do well - so for me; Liverpool, City, United, Leicester so that the BPL doesn't lost it's 4th CL spot. But cheering Arsenal? No thanks :) Although like most people I do like underdogs so whenever they play Barca/Real/Bayern - part of me wants them to do well - as long as it's not the final!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Whats the BPL?
  • edited May 2016
    Barclays premier League?
  • edited May 2016
    Incredible scenes

Wasn't going to play but after the football i fancied a few games and I won a few Dyms tonight. Up to the dizzy heights of £5.43 up for the month now and an avg profit of 5p.
    Short chat with DEVILPOKER who is in a lot of my games. Seems a really nice guy. Good to see his hard work starting to show with some good profits recently.

Dyms have been interesting this year. With all the promotions a lot of cash and mtt players have put in volume.  A few have taken to them like a duck to water. Dtm for example just came in and crushed straightaway which was impressive.
    A few others who are succesful at other games have had a bit of a disaster and there are some staggering results.
    Enjoyed the Liverpool game. Would love to go to Anfield on one of the big nights.
    Went into Derby this afternoon to sort out a new mortgage deal as the present one is just about to end. Never go into the city centre during the day normally.
    It was awful. Within two minutes of stepping out of the car two people just walking along had asked me pretty aggressively for money. The centre of Derby has moved with the new massive shopping centre. What used to be the heart of the city is now run down with most of the big businesses moving. Opposite the bank there was a lad who looked no more than 16/17 sleeping in a doorway with a bottle of whiskey next to him.
    It was all pretty sad,

• edited May 2016
    Going into the city centre sounds pretty grim Paul, sad times indeed. How did you deal with the money request? Quite frightening really when you see on the news how these things can escalate pretty rapidly, I honestly don't know how I would deal with it if I was alone, I know in my younger more carefree days I would have given them a mouthful, nowadays not so sure...l
  • edited May 2016
    It is a weird juxtaposition of original town centre and that Westfield behemoth plonked in the middle of it.  The 'haves' shopping inside and the 'have nots' living in an almost separate world outside it.

I've been to a lot of places around the UK with work and Derby was the only one where I saw a full on fight sparking off in broad daylight (about 11am on a Monday morning) which was very bizarre.  Even more so when another kicked off with different people about half an hour later.

Then sat getting a coffee and logging footfall while a conference was taking place on the table next to me around how to maximise benefits claims.

Still, it is by far the most important location in the country for my company.  The 'haves' seemingly still make up the overwhelming majority of the city.

The violence was odd and unique, but sadly the general feel around St Peters Street is far from unique in being quite a depressing place in terms of the down-at-heel and desperation that seems to be seeping through an increasing number of high streets in the country. I include my hometown of Swindon in that. Main centre is grim.

WP on turning the month into a profit.  Hope the good run continues while those slower DYM learners continue to offer you softer spots!
  • edited May 2016
    It is a weird juxtaposition of original town centre and that Westfield behemoth plonked in the middle of it.  The 'haves' shopping inside and the 'have nots' living in an almost separate world outside it. I've been to a lot of places around the UK with work and Derby was the only one where I saw a full on fight sparking off in broad daylight (about 11am on a Monday morning) which was very bizarre.  Even more so when another kicked off with different people about half an hour later. Then sat getting a coffee and logging footfall while a conference was taking place on the table next to me around how to maximise benefits claims. Still, it is by far the most important location in the country for my company.  The 'haves' seemingly still make up the overwhelming majority of the city. The violence was odd and unique, but sadly the general feel around St Peters Street is far from unique in being quite a depressing place in terms of the down-at-heel and desperation that seems to be seeping through an increasing number of high streets in the country. I include my hometown of Swindon in that. Main centre is grim. WP on turning the month into a profit.  Hope the good run continues while those slower DYM learners continue to offer you softer spots!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Yes, it was St Peters Street. Debenhams in Victoria Street next to it was where everyone met up when we went into town. Debenhams is now at the Intu and is now Silly Sids!
    Derby is very different these days to when I grew up.

• edited May 2016
    The sun is shining already.
    What to do?
    Golf, followed by a few beers on the terrace?
    Stay in and watch the football all day?
    Nah
    Thomas Land at Drayton Manor Park :)