You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a new year..a new game...CASH...still playing

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
cool, post plenty of hands dev ;), you have a great roll for nl10 mate, hope you do well.

Comments

• edited July 2013

Hi all,
    'happy new year to everyone'

after last months priority dym grind,i've decided that i need a change.
    so have decided to play some nl cash.

with a starting b/roll of £331.82) that i've given myself,(my loose change)
    i'm starting at nl10 probably 2/4 tables to start off with and see how it goes.
    i am no cash player so i have no real expectations.
    if i lose this money,which i know is very likely,then it's back playing DYM...again.

this is not a challenge as such,just something different for me, as i've been playing dym's for the past 8/9 months or so.
    i know i am only playing with 31 buy-ins for nl10 which is far from ideal for me,being such a b/roll nit,but as i've said,when it's gone...it's gone.
    i suppose if i did drop down to around the £100/£150 i would have to consider dropping to nl4,which would seem
    to make the most sense.
    i could start at nl4 i know,but as it's very likely i might be there at some point anyway,so i feel i am giving myself the best possible starting place at nl10.

i don't want to post every day and bore you all,and this is certainly not intended as a place for me to come and 'brag' to you all,should the unlikely happen.if anything it's more than odds on that i could be back playing dym again very soon.  lol
    as with all the new year challenges just starting up and of course any old ones from last year,they are all very personal to the players concerned,as this one will become,hopefully,to me.
    good luck and best wishes to all of you with your challenges and goals for this year, and to everyone in general here at Sky poker.
    lets hope 2013 is a lucky one for us all.

'be lucky'
    :)
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year...a new game..CASH.:
    cool, post plenty of hands dev ;), you have a great roll for nl10 mate, hope you do well.
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    ty buddy,
    you too mate
    dev

night off tonight...i'll get crackin tomorrow. lol
  • edited January 2013
    good luck mate
  • edited January 2013
    The roll seems fine to me i generally like 30BIs at whatever stake i am playing in cash. If i remember from back in my nl4 days you were a competant reg there once upon a time. Nl10 standard is slightly better but avoid regs and value town loose cally players. Im sure you will do well. Good luck
  • edited January 2013
    31bi`s plenty for this level I mainly play 10/20nl and played with you before a while back you will be fine at this level.

like others have said avoid the regs and focus on getting value from other unknowns m8.

also could have bumped into you this month but going to take a break from cash and online poker in general for a wee while totally burned out atm been playing a lot last 6mths and done well on cash tables just need a time off but hopefully see ya soon on the tables.
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck dev m8.
  • edited January 2013
    good luck devonfish
  • edited January 2013
    good luck mate
    Posted by TINTIN
    ty tintin
  • edited January 2013
    Ity jams
    n Response to Re: a new year...a new game..CASH.:
    The roll seems fine to me i generally like 30BIs at whatever stake i am playing in cash. If i remember from back in my nl4 days you were a competant reg there once upon a time. Nl10 standard is slightly better but avoid regs and value town loose cally players. Im sure you will do well. Good luck
    Posted by jams88
    ty jams
    thanks for the advice.going to use table selection as i'm sure it will help,and lets be honest i'm going to need all the help going.  lol
  • edited January 2013
    31bi`s plenty for this level I mainly play 10/20nl and played with you before a while back you will be fine at this level. like others have said avoid the regs and focus on getting value from other unknowns m8. also could have bumped into you this month but going to take a break from cash and online poker in general for a wee while totally burned out atm been playing a lot last 6mths and done well on cash tables just need a time off but hopefully see ya soon on the tables.
    Posted by liamboi11
    ty liam,
    enjoy the time off.hope to still be there playing when u return
    best wishes
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck dev m8.
    Posted by bignoise10
    ty Paul,
    u2 m8.
    happy new year.
  • edited January 2013
    good luck devonfish
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    ty steve,
    good luck with your plans too mate...
    and remember 1 day at a time.
  • edited January 2013
    GL with your latest game choice Dev - may change my own mind about playing a greater number of cash tables now and stick to playing the DYMs now there will be one less quality reg!!

Sure you'll see a slow and steady profit from this venture.
  • edited January 2013
    GL with your latest game choice Dev - may change my own mind about playing a greater number of cash tables now and stick to playing the DYMs now there will be one less quality reg!! Sure you'll see a slow and steady profit from this venture.
    Posted by shakinaces
    ty shakinaces,
    don't get to comfortable there i could soon be back you know. lol
    gl :)
  • edited January 2013
    Best of luck to you Ian.
  • edited January 2013
    A change is as good as a break, keeps your brain tickin over.
    Tried to get on one of your tables but there was 360 waiting..LOL
    Poker is poker once you get used to the change in play.
    GOOD LUCK.
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck!

Your number of tables seems to make no sense to me at all. DYMs at times take more concentration than cash tables so I don't understand how you can go from 18 tables of DYM and only 2-4 on cash. You should easily be able to play at least 6 cash tables probably 10.

FWIW if you played less DYM tables  I think you would be a lot more successful at them. I played some £5 ones last month when on a super downswing and I noticed you timed out nearly every time it was your go! lol
  • edited January 2013
    Best of luck to you Ian.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thanks Gary,
    you too mate...
    another tough challenge you have given yourself.BIG RESPECT when you achieve it...
    perphaps have a catch up,over a cold beer...my round of course.
    ian
  • edited January 2013
    A change is as good as a break, keeps your brain tickin over. Tried to get on one of your tables but there was 360 waiting..LOL Poker is poker once you get used to the change in play. GOOD LUCK.
    Posted by rusty_ring
    lol
    ty rusty_ring.
    yes it all starts today...
    so come and find me.  lol
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck! Your number of tables seems to make no sense to me at all. DYMs at times take more concentration than cash tables so I don't understand how you can go from 18 tables of DYM and only 2-4 on cash. You should easily be able to play at least 6 cash tables probably 10. FWIW if you played less DYM tables  I think you would be a lot more successful at them. I played some £5 ones last month when on a super downswing and I noticed you timed out nearly every time it was your go! lol
    Posted by FlashFlush
    hi flasflush,
    ty m8,
    i'm only starting off playing 2-4 tables and i have another plan up my sleeve also,to go with it.
    as i've not played cash properly for the best part of a year now,i thought i'd start off slowly and if successful,which is by no means any more than 50/50 imo,gradually crank it up.

you could well be right regarding playing less dym tables being more successful.
    last month was an exception though as i was going for priority for the 1st time,simply for the challenge.
    i don't normally play 20+ tables as i did all last month.
    i usually play between 12 and 15 sometimes as many as 18.
    i was also aware of the timing out and trust me it was very deliberate.
    if my cash adventure doesn't work out,then i'm sure i'll be back playing dym's again and will probably go back to playing 12-15 tables again.
    if in the future auto-seat and resizable tables are introduced,then i honestly think that using the timing out method that i have just been experimenting with,it could well be possible to play up to as many as 40 tables.
    i'm not sure if i will ever try it,knowing me though....yes is probably the answer.
    as to whether i could win or even come out level over a month and therefore earn some decent c4p reward,is another question.
    hope that explains.
    dev
  • edited January 2013

day 1

lost £33.09

cash b/r £280.53

c4p 156  total 389

played nl10  4 tables  7 hours.

went pretty much as i expected and losing was no surprise for me.
    thought i played ok just not well enough,i guess.
    i know it's all about position and agression and i'll do my best to keep on working at it.

probably play later on today now,once i've had some sleep and been to work.
    feeling tired and a bit down atm,but it's not like i've not been here before.  lol

i'm no good at posting hands so i don't think i'll even try.
    with just 28 buy-ins left i know i can't afford to keep losing sessions,even though this is only the first session.
    i'm expecting a similar result for the next 2 or 3 sessions for sure,maybe even worse.
    if it comes across as being a bit negative,i'm sorry,but i'm just being honest and that's how i'm feeling atm.
    i'm sure once the next session begins i'll start feeling better and more optimistic,well hopefully.

time for bed,
    night all,or possibly good morning even.
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Dev i know you have set yourself targets and all, but try playing a mtt low level, but play it like a cash game.
    There are a lot of cash players who play this way and are successful.In saying that DONT i have let the cat out the bag lol.
    But you know where i'm coming from.
    DYMs you have to play defensive and it's a big change to cash, anyway just a sugestion.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Dev first time ive posted on your thread but i do follow them all, just thought id show a bit of support as you seem a bit down in your last post. I think fwiw if you just stick with the plan don't play to many tables you will find things pick up as you said you have already written off the £313 allocated to your cash venture so i know its not perfect brm but just keep to 5/10 where your getting to know who is who and im sure you will find yourself adapting good luck with this and stick to the plan!
  • edited January 2013
    After a year grinding multi-table DYMs a disappointing start was pretty much a dead cert imo. It would take anybody a while to adapt to a very different type of game and change style accordingly.

If I were you Ian I'd spend time looking through yesterdays hand histories trying to learn how you can improve before starting the next session. Good luck.
  • edited January 2013

GL Dev. would help you alot if you could post some hands, it's really not that difficult.......
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Dev i know you have set yourself targets and all, but try playing a mtt low level, but play it like a cash game. There are a lot of cash players who play this way and are successful.In saying that DONT i have let the cat out the bag lol. But you know where i'm coming from. DYMs you have to play defensive and it's a big change to cash, anyway just a sugestion.
    Posted by rusty_ring
    hi rusty,
    thanks for the advice mate,
    any suggestions as to which mtt's to play?
    yes,cash is certainly is a more aggressive looser game and totally different to how i'm used to playing dym's.
    i have always struggled playing cash but am going to give it my best shot here, even if it means losing £300
    or so in the process.
    i'm sure it is more of a mental barrier as much as anything,also i need to make the necessary adjustments to my game,which clearly i haven't been able to do so far.

one of the main problems i seem to come up against,time and time again is when i have a big hand and run into another big hand and i lose an all-in,in this case now £10. which therefore becomes a £20 swing.it does seem to happen a lot and these seem to
    determine how i end up for each session.
    i'm not sure what if anything i can do about this,or is it simply 'all part of the game'
    i guess i could always 'back down' from going all-in,but with money already in the pot and with a descent hand that seems a bad play also.

anyway,that aside,i am quite happy with how i played last night and will give it my best as always again later tonight.
    don't think i'll be playing for 7 hours though.
    also 4 tables seems enough for the moment i think.

best wishes,
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Dev first time ive posted on your thread but i do follow them all, just thought id show a bit of support as you seem a bit down in your last post. I think fwiw if you just stick with the plan don't play to many tables you will find things pick up as you said you have already written off the £313 allocated to your cash venture so i know its not perfect brm but just keep to 5/10 where your getting to know who is who and im sure you will find yourself adapting good luck with this and stick to the plan!
    Posted by Russ76
    ty russ,
    yes i was a bit down after y'days session,but i was expecting the loss as i have already mentioned.
    posting straight after a session is probably not the best idea,especially when you have just lost,i guess.
    i'm over it now and looking forward to another session later.
    thanks for posting mate and the support.very much appreciated.
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    After a year grinding multi-table DYMs a disappointing start was pretty much a dead cert imo. It would take anybody a while to adapt to a very different type of game and change style accordingly. If I were you Ian I'd spend time looking through yesterdays hand histories trying to learn how you can improve before starting the next session. Good luck.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thanks Gary,
    yes i'll deffo go through some hands.i've never done it before so it should make interesting if painfull reading.
    gl with your challenge too.
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    GL Dev. would help you alot if you could post some hands, it's really not that difficult.......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    hi DOH
    thanks mate,

it is for me mate,trust me,i've spent hours in the past trying to get it right.sometimes well occasionally it would come out right,but mostly not.

i might give it another go,but at the moment i've messed up my mouse...somehow,as it now clicks using both sides as i'm now playing right handed instead of my usual left due to being in pain still after last months grindathon.

i will try and sort it out though,as i do need help.
    it does kind of feel like cheating though asking for opinions on hands i've played,but i guess it's common practise amongst poker players to get their views.it's something i've not done and i guess i'm just an old duffer and i like to try and work things out for myself.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    How hard can it be, transfer you early stages DYM game to cash -

play tight aggresive and win money

so shhhhhhh and win

gl