You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a new year..a new game...CASH...still playing

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH:
    Good luck with this Dev. My advice at this level is, play tight, bet chunky with your big hands / when you make a hand (top pair or better), and keep betting until you get raised. When you get raised - panic! Check your hand versus the board, and, if you haven't got the niuts, or near nuts, fold - unless you have some specific info/history for the villain. Simples.
    Posted by jakally
    hi m8,
    i've noted that down...
    probably best advice yet...gold stars for you *****

thanks jakally
    :)
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Dev,
    Always read your diary's and challenges with interest, I have a great admiration for your commitment and dedication to the game and hats off to you for trying improve your game further by playing out your comfort zone (cash).
    Just thought I would add my 2pennys worth to the hands posted.

Hand1 J 10 -Pre Flop, Dont mind opening here UTG+1 especially if CO and Button are quite tight
    Flop- Would be betting this flop between 1/2 and 3/4 Pot
    Turn- Really bad card for us at it completes flush and also overcard to our pair.
    River-Fold.

Hand2 AK Pre-Flop Fine
    Flop must bet this board for value and protection, around 80p should do the job
    Turn complete blank bet once again for value
    River Tough spot, Like to think I can find a fold but its close!

Hand3 A2 100% Fold UTG with junk, as played cooler

Hand4 A9s Pre-flop Don't mind opening here but would make sizing bigger, Fold to 3 bet

Hand5 88 Pre-flop again bet sizing far to small, make all opens from all positions 40p
    Flop 100% bet never slow play at these stakes, Will get called here by overpairs, Flushes and straights
    Turn again bet big looking to set big river bet
    River- If bet sizing is correct we should be easily able to get our stack in by river

By now means an expert myself mate, but like I said just my thoughts.
    I know if you stick at this mate you will crack it, Just play good tight aggro style and im sure you will be fine.
    Good Luck
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH:
    Hi Dev, Always read your diary's and challenges with interest, I have a great admiration for your commitment and dedication to the game and hats off to you for trying improve your game further by playing out your comfort zone (cash). Just thought I would add my 2pennys worth to the hands posted. Hand1 J 10 -Pre Flop, Dont mind opening here UTG+1 especially if CO and Button are quite tight Flop- Would be betting this flop between 1/2 and 3/4 Pot Turn- Really bad card for us at it completes flush and also overcard to our pair. River-Fold. Hand2 AK Pre-Flop Fine Flop must bet this board for value and protection, around 80p should do the job Turn complete blank bet once again for value River Tough spot, Like to think I can find a fold but its close! Hand3 A2 100% Fold UTG with junk, as played cooler Hand4 A9s Pre-flop Don't mind opening here but would make sizing bigger, Fold to 3 bet Hand5 88 Pre-flop again bet sizing far to small, make all opens from all positions 40p Flop 100% bet never slow play at these stakes, Will get called here by overpairs, Flushes and straights Turn again bet big looking to set big river bet River- If bet sizing is correct we should be easily able to get our stack in by river By now means an expert myself mate, but like I said just my thoughts. I know if you stick at this mate you will crack it, Just play good tight aggro style and im sure you will be fine. Good Luck
    Posted by Moonlit81
    hi Moonlit81,
    thank you for the very kind words and your input.
    i feel like i'm beggining to know these few hands very well atm.  lol
    which is great as i am learning so much here from you all.
    it just goes to show myself and maybe any other newish to cash players that we are not quite as good as maybe we think we are.
    it is obvious now to me just how bad i am/have been playing cash for so long.
    just wished i knew how to post up hands earlier than y'day and taken the time and effort to do it.
    could have saved myself a lot of headaches and money too.  lol

yes you are pretty much spot on with all the hands...i know i played them all just about as bad as is possible.
    i was a little bit anoyed with myself on 2 or 3 but felt the other 2 the a9 suited & especially the 88 hand i  thought i was a lttle unlucky,but again i've only myself to blame for losing them,not my opponents,who did nothing wrong and i guess,everything right.

i'll certainly learn from all these mistakes though i'm sure,and hopefully turn things around,after all this is the reason i started this thread.
    ty again for your help, it is very much appreciated.
    best wishes,
    dev
  • edited January 2013

day 2

won £6.77

cash b/roll £287.30

nl10  2 tables  10-15 mins

c4p 5  total 394

taken everything on board....
     raising up 40p pre..... 3/4 pot flop bet,etc.

thought i'd book the win and have another night off and watch some tv.
    i'm still trying to take everything in and i know ur not supposed to book it,but getting something back tonight feels good.  lol

i'll play another session tomorrow and if i can book the win again i will.
    night all
    dev

• edited January 2013
    ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Canary11 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £13.57
    SPRING29 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £6.01
     Your hole cards
    • A

devonfish5 Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £9.50
    shaun09 Fold     
    GARY500 Fold     
    Canary11 Fold     
    SPRING29 Call  £0.30 £0.85 £5.71
    Flop

• K

SPRING29 Bet  £0.43 £1.28 £5.28
    devonfish5 Call  £0.43 £1.71 £9.07
    Turn

SPRING29 Bet  £1.28 £2.99 £4.00
    devonfish5 Call  £1.28 £4.27 £7.79
    River

SPRING29 All-in  £4.00 £8.27 £0.00
    devonfish5 Call  £4.00 £12.27 £3.79
    SPRING29 Show
    • K
    • Q

devonfish5 Show
    • A

devonfish5 Win Flush to the Ace £11.34  £15.13
    howz that  lol

only been playing a few minutes.
  • edited January 2013
    otBalance
    frank1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £3.06
    Fitz833 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.53
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • K

devonfish5 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £10.35
    banteca Fold     
    frank1 Call  £0.25 £0.70 £2.81
    Fitz833 Call  £0.20 £0.90 £9.33
    Flop

• K

frank1 Check     
    Fitz833 Check     
    devonfish5 Bet  £0.68 £1.58 £9.67
    frank1 Fold     
    Fitz833 Fold     
    devonfish5 Muck     
    devonfish5 Win  £0.83  £10.50
    devonfish5 Return  £0.68 £0.07
    pretty standard i know...but a small step in the right direction  lol
  • edited January 2013
    hope its going well mate, cant see much wrong with the couple hands above wp
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...hoooray,a small win.:
    hope its going well mate, cant see much wrong with the couple hands above wp
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    ty m8,
    my 1st win at nl10 so happy bunny tonight,even though i booked it.
    i've always said a win is a win,and it's deffo a better feeling than losing.  lol
    be nice to back it up again next session but i know poker doesn't always work like that.
    anyway,that's all for today,
    nite all
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    session 3

won £8.35

cash b/roll  £295.65  (down £17,97 total)

c4p  77  total 471

nl10  4 tables   5 hrs

wooohooo another win

just what i was hoping for.
    played ok i think mostly.messed up an AA all-in which i'll post up.
    apart from that i'm happy.
    not perfect poker by any means,but an improvement all round i think.
    played quite aggro and raised up a lot pre-flop either 30p or 40p sometimes more with limpers

anyway,i'll post up a few more hands tomorrow

nite all
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    kaleb1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £6.79
    graham1941 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £7.09
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

devonfish5 Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £9.60
    gragun Fold     
    legs200 Call  £0.40 £0.95 £8.27
    Fearless28 Fold     
    kaleb1 Fold     
    graham1941 Call  £0.30 £1.25 £6.79
    Flop

• K

graham1941 Bet  £0.63 £1.88 £6.16
    devonfish5 Call  £0.63 £2.51 £8.97
    legs200 Raise  £3.77 £6.28 £4.50
    graham1941 Call  £3.14 £9.42 £3.02
    devonfish5 All-in  £8.97 £18.39 £0.00
    legs200 All-in  £4.50 £22.89 £0.00
    graham1941 All-in  £3.02 £25.91 £0.00
    devonfish5 Unmatched bet  £1.33 £24.58 £1.33
    graham1941 Show
    • Q

devonfish5 Show
    • A
    • A

legs200 Show

Turn

River

legs200 Win Four 10s £23.18
    i should have folded after legs £3.77 raise on flop...shouldn't i ?
  • edited January 2013
    ladd02 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £21.79
    devonfish5 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £21.10
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

RAMBO611 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £24.06
    bowen05 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £6.64
    nu Fold     
    nufc475 Fold     
    ladd02 Raise  £0.15 £0.50 £21.64
    devonfish5 Raise  £0.50 £1.00 £20.60
    RAMBO611 Fold     
    bowen05 Call  £0.50 £1.50 £6.14
    ladd02 Call  £0.40 £1.90 £21.24
    Flop

ladd02 Bet  £0.50 £2.40 £20.74
    devonfish5 Call  £0.50 £2.90 £20.10
    bowen05 Call  £0.50 £3.40 £5.64
    Turn

ladd02 Bet  £0.60 £4.00 £20.14
    devonfish5 Raise  £2.90 £6.90 £17.20
    bowen05 All-in  £5.64 £12.54 £0.00
    ladd02 Fold     
    devonfish5 Call  £2.74 £15.28 £14.46
    devonfish5 Show
    • K
    • K

bowen05 Show

River

bowen05 Win Two Pairs, 9s and 8s £14.13
    bad play?  another mistake?   ps, should have raised the flop not just called,shouldn't i?
  • edited January 2013
    RAMBO611 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £23.91
    bowen05 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £13.93
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

nu Fold     
    nufc475 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £4.14
    ladd02 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £20.04
    devonfish5 Raise  £0.50 £0.85 £15.38
    RAMBO611 Fold     
    bowen05 Fold     
    nufc475 Call  £0.40 £1.25 £3.74
    ladd02 Fold     
    Flop

• J

nufc475 Bet  £0.10 £1.35 £3.64
    devonfish5 Call  £0.10 £1.45 £15.28
    Turn

• Q

nufc475 Bet  £0.10 £1.55 £3.54
    devonfish5 Raise  £0.30 £1.85 £14.98
    nufc475 Raise  £0.40 £2.25 £3.14
    devonfish5 Call  £0.20 £2.45 £14.78
    River

nufc475 Bet  £0.10 £2.55 £3.04
    devonfish5 Raise  £1.43 £3.98 £13.35
    nufc475 All-in  £3.04 £7.02 £0.00
    devonfish5 Call  £1.71 £8.73 £11.64
    nufc475 Show
    • J

devonfish5 Show
    • A
    • Q

nufc475 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 2s £8.07
    don't know what to make of this?
    not great is it?
    what should i have done?
  • edited January 2013
    these were my worst 3 losses of the night...
    could i and should i have got away from losing each time? and the ammounts i did?
    AA and KK  again????? lol
  • edited January 2013
    Hi devon

a couple of things that spring to mind for me in what you say about looking for players with smaller stacks so you can't get stacked yourself. True these are probably weaker players this can also mean that you are constantly getting it in pre in flips or marginal favourites against these stacks ak v 33  aq v j10 sort of thing this can lead to some dis heartening downsings imo. I would look for people that you know you are better than or unknowns with a full stack aswell as the shortys so you can try and get some nice paydays to :)

AA im getting it in there not feeling great about it but i think it is a must.

KK personally i would raise the flop lead, end result probably the same but whenever we get our opponant to put more money in the pot behind we have to think we are doing something right.

AQ make note of the minbet lead habit with 2 pair so now you can call villian sometimes on river when unsure of where you stand as he is making it dirt cheap. I would prefer a bigger raise on the the turn, try and think of your betting in rlation to the pot rather than his min donk lead. River is close between a flat and a raise for me depending on reads think you have to call his x/shove though seeing as how much you have commited even though you are fairly sure you are behind
  • _G__G_
    edited January 2013
    Hi Dev
    Can not give you any advice on you new challenge, as i am not good enough player to comment, just learning as i go.
    But i do enjoy your posts, and also pick up some tips from your hands and response from them.

So good look and keep going i am sure you get there in the end.

Glen
  • edited January 2013
    All prettry much standard bad calls and oppo getting lucky at this level.

Wouldn't worry about it too much, make a note of their play as your going to win back so much money of these players long term.

the AQ hand is where your just not listening to the message and maybe just call river
    message being, min bet/raise line lol
    Massive differance than someone just min bet/calling, where they are more likey just being a station and trying to get to showdiown as cheap as possible

Probably the most annoying hands you'll see at this level where some calls with K5o and hits 2 pr.
    The only think you need to consider is, will this player just station off with the worse hand more often than just calling and folding any pair they hit. More often they just do their stack when they hit top pair so,,,, all good in a funny kind of way. Even though at the time your cat is getting a kicking @+_)

Remember poker is really easy when you have the best hand.
    It's get's more diffcult when you possibly don't have the best hand or your being put to the test.
    Essentially versus bad players, poker is very easy.
    So figure out who the good players are )

o yeah raise the flop with the KK & AA
  • edited January 2013
    Hi devon a couple of things that spring to mind for me in what you say about looking for players with smaller stacks so you can't get stacked yourself. True these are probably weaker players this can also mean that you are constantly getting it in pre in flips or marginal favourites against these stacks ak v 33  aq v j10 sort of thing this can lead to some dis heartening downsings imo. I would look for people that you know you are better than or unknowns with a full stack aswell as the shortys so you can try and get some nice paydays to :) AA im getting it in there not feeling great about it but i think it is a must. KK personally i would raise the flop lead, end result probably the same but whenever we get our opponant to put more money in the pot behind we have to think we are doing something right. AQ make note of the minbet lead habit with 2 pair so now you can call villian sometimes on river when unsure of where you stand as he is making it dirt cheap. I would prefer a bigger raise on the the turn, try and think of your betting in rlation to the pot rather than his min donk lead. River is close between a flat and a raise for me depending on reads think you have to call his x/shove though seeing as how much you have commited even though you are fairly sure you are behind
    Posted by jams88
    hi jams
    thanks for the advice m8,
    my heads all over the place atm,trying to take in so much asap.
    my thinking with attacking the sm stacks seems to make sense,especially if i can raise big against them and get them to fold.
    if i need to go all-in myself i will,and they still have to call me,and if i'm racing or hopefully a slight favourite,i'm happy.
    yes,looking at the KK hand i shoiuld have raised the flop much bigger,but with 2 pair against me there already,i was in trouble.
    yes,bet to pot size needs more attention,rather then thinking about opponents bet sizes.

thanks again mate,
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Dev Can not give you any advice on you new challenge, as i am not good enough player to comment, just learning as i go. But i do enjoy your posts, and also pick up some tips from your hands and response from them. So good look and keep going i am sure you get there in the end. Glen
    Posted by _G_
    ty glen,

yes it's early days and i've learnt so much already.
    glad you are picking up some tips too.
    best wishes
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    All prettry much standard bad calls and oppo getting lucky at this level. Wouldn't worry about it too much, make a note of their play as your going to win back so much money of these players long term. the AQ hand is where your just not listening to the message and maybe just call river message being, min bet/raise line lol Massive differance than someone just min bet/calling, where they are more likey just being a station and trying to get to showdiown as cheap as possible Probably the most annoying hands you'll see at this level where some calls with K5o and hits 2 pr. The only think you need to consider is, will this player just station off with the worse hand more often than just calling and folding any pair they hit. More often they just do their stack when they hit top pair so,,,, all good in a funny kind of way. Even though at the time your cat is getting a kicking @+_)
    Posted by rancid
    hi rancid,
    ty m8
    looking at the hands now it's so much easier than playing them at the time,isn't it, and i could have/should have done this/done that.
    i'm never that happy at losing...who is?,but when someone out-plays me at anything i can except it,and respect it, and i try and learn something from it too.but when i'm making simple mistakes,as i am in some cases here,it can be harder to take and accept.but my only excuse is 'it's early days'

luckiily the cat (tilly) was in the kitchen at the time in her bed fast asleep,so she was quite safe.  lol
    (always makes me smile when i bump into 'tillytrots' at the tables.  lol)
    best wishes
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    All prettry much standard bad calls and oppo getting lucky at this level. Wouldn't worry about it too much, make a note of their play as your going to win back so much money of these players long term. the AQ hand is where your just not listening to the message and maybe just call river message being, min bet/raise line lol Massive differance than someone just min bet/calling, where they are more likey just being a station and trying to get to showdiown as cheap as possible Probably the most annoying hands you'll see at this level where some calls with K5o and hits 2 pr. The only think you need to consider is, will this player just station off with the worse hand more often than just calling and folding any pair they hit. More often they just do their stack when they hit top pair so,,,, all good in a funny kind Remember poker is really easy when you have the best hand. It's of way. Even though at the time your cat is getting a kicking @+_) get's more diffcult when you possibly don't have the best hand or your being put to the test. Essentially versus bad players, poker is very easy. So figure out who the good players are ) o yeah raise the flop with the KK & AA
    Posted by rancid
    all good points m8,
    yeah,you are right,i should have raised the flop with AA & KK hands...another lesson learnt.
    cheers
  • edited January 2013
    from what i see devonfish a few mistakes i think

from the hands u have posted

1st hand   A A  Raise big on flop to around £2  why call its a wetish flop u dnt wanna see another card really vs 2 opponents

2nd hand  KK   Same again i dont know why your not raising here on a low flop 2 diamonds raise it up to around £1.80 - £2 get max value out of your hand i dnt see what u acheive by calling dnt ever trappppppppp at this level never works

3rd hand   AQ i dnt mind the call on the flop as its cheap enuf to call once u call tptk   guy bets 10p u have to raise bigger 30p is just to small i am going atleast 60p -70p

My advice is bet bigger when u have the goods m8 dnt ever trap if u have kk etc comes low flop bet 3/4 pot each street if u get stuck on bet size i se u have a few lil leaks nowt major just think u need to bet more on ya good hands
  • edited January 2013
    from what i see devonfish a few mistakes i think from the hands u have posted 1st hand   A A  Raise big on flop to around £2  why call its a wetish flop u dnt wanna see another card really vs 2 opponents 2nd hand  KK   Same again i dont know why your not raising here on a low flop 2 diamonds raise it up to around £1.80 - £2 get max value out of your hand i dnt see what u acheive by calling dnt ever trappppppppp at this level never works 3rd hand   AQ i dnt mind the call on the flop as its cheap enuf to call once u call tptk   guy bets 10p u have to raise bigger 30p is just to small i am going atleast 60p -70p My advice is bet bigger when u have the goods m8 dnt ever trap if u have kk etc comes low flop bet 3/4 pot each street if u get stuck on bet size i se u have a few lil leaks nowt major just think u need to bet more on ya good hands
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thanks Steve,
    yeah,agree i need to be betting more and bigger with these hands.
    think i've already mentioned it.
    i'm sure it will come and also become easier and a standard part of my game,well hopefully.
    after playing DYM for so long where i was always trying to eek out chips from opponents...
    this cash malarky is going to take me a few more days to sort out.  lol

cheers m8...
    run good
    dev

• edited January 2013
    if in doubt m8 click the 3/4 pot bet button :) that way u dnt give away any tells in bet sizing
  • edited January 2013
    if in doubt m8 click the 3/4 pot bet button :) that way u dnt give away any tells in bet sizing
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thanks m8

i've only just spotted that button  lol

• edited January 2013

'time for lunch...back laters'

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited January 2013

Just a quick note to wish you my best Dev. I saw that you mentioned you've learnt a lot. I found that I learnt a ton from playing cash and I was even willing to sacrifice losing money to improve my game.

All the best

Pat
  • edited January 2013
    'time for lunch...back laters' (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Long lunch ! :-)
  • edited January 2013
    Just a quick note to wish you my best Dev. I saw that you mentioned you've learnt a lot. I found that I learnt a ton from playing cash and I was even willing to sacrifice losing money to improve my game. All the best Pat
    Posted by patwalshh
    ty Pat,
    same,i said i was willing to play with just over £300 but obviously not wanting to sacrifice that amount to learn.
    cash has never been my thing,and i just thought what the hell let's give it a proper go this time.
    just learning how to post up hands has been fantastic,and the feedback has also been fantastic too,which i am most thank-full for.
    i have learnt more in the last 3 or 4 days or so,by posting up my worst losing hands,  than i have in the last 2 to 3 years playing cash...
    and that is just amazing,i think.and  hard to believe even.
    gl mate,
    dev

dev
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...hoooray,a small win. : Long lunch ! :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    hi Mick...
    yes you're right....
    i was hungry.   lol

i did intend starting earlier tonight but started watching the poker channel,and mastercash came on...
    so i had to watch that,didn't i.  lol

playing 7pm freeroll atm.
    going to see what tables are going and take it from there i think.
    also,
            i'm not in any great hurry to play atm,as i'm trying to take in as much information away from the tables as i can,which i think is good and something new for me.
    anyway,
    that's all for now..gl buddy.

what have you been playing recently?

dev
  • edited January 2013
    Hi ya Ian
    still bashing away at the DYM's with the Monday night DTD Mtt's.
    been watching a few cash games too to see what i can learn.
    been running about break even this year so far so not too bad.

Run good buddy
    Mick