You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Life In The Middle Lane

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat

Hope this diary is to include some Kendall rub-downs!

Comments

• edited April 2013

I thought I'd start a diary. I've not done one before but I figure it'll help motivate both my online & live sessions as it's gonna start to tire if I'm constantly posting that I kind of just showed up & went through the motions.

We're all just back from Easter holidays in Dublin & somehow or other there's still another week of half-term to navigate, a notoriously expensive time in any parents calendar.

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Julian Thew, I'm the Sponsored Sky Poker Pro & I play as 'yoyo' on here. Been married nearly ten years now & myself & Amanda have four boys aged 2, 4, 6 & 9. Rarely a dull moment.

I'm not a great one for posting hand histories but I played an amazing pot last week in the 800 side event at the Irish Open. In short, I had red aces & my opponent flopped a straight, turned a straight flush & somehow I managed to river a full house.

He had 5c-3c & the board ran out 4c,6,7c,6c,6. Yes, yes, yes, I paid him off, tbh I didn't even see the straight flush, in my mind I was only losing to a six.

So there you go, I doubt any hand I post will quite match that one for amusement but hopefully there'll be some decent content amongst the inevitable lows & occasional highs of an old school MTT grinder.

Do please feel free to question or mock as you see fit.

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Fast/Middle Lane:
    You can change thread titles after the event by clicking "edit post" on the original post and changing the title of that post... if you like. I'm not sure why you couldn't get the slash to work, though.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    ah tx but i took it out altogether as i was gettin in a right old mess...
  • edited April 2013
    I look forward to reading more Julian. I think its great for the forum that you have decided to do this.
    I know everyone takes the mick about how good it must be to run like Julian Thew but I was wondering if you have ever  been on a really bad downswing?
  • edited April 2013
    Really looking forward to reading this Julian.

I won't be able to make SPT Dublin, but will you be making an appearance at Birmingham or is it way too far in the future for you to plan?

Any ideas when we might get to see you on 861 again? It's always good to see you on the show.

@Jonjo - would be pretty crazy/nigh on impossible for anyone to have played poker as long as Julian to have not had a really bad downswing.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Fast/Middle Lane : ah tx but i took it out altogether as i was gettin in a right old mess...
    Posted by yoyo
    FWIW I love this title (much better without the Fast/ IMO).

Should be an interesting read, especially from a guy who is now where a lot of people on the site aspire to be, and who is also always credited with being a thoroughly nice chap. Similar to TommyD for me too, always interested in what he has to say for the same reasons.

Four kids, and of those ages wow! 

Looking forward to following it all. GL, Mike.
  • edited April 2013
    Julian,

Great to see you have a diary, there is so much so many can learn from your experiences as a full time pro. So many players get one or two big results and think they are a world beater! Seeing you continue to get results shows real ability in my opinion.

So to get the questions/interactions going, you have played a fair bit both online and live. Have you found you have had spells in form live but not online (or vice versa) or do you find the two go hand in hand and either you are crushing both or neither. Do you find form has a big impact on the way you play?

Matt
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane:
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    hmm, my memory ain't what it used to be but i'm sure some golden moments will rear their heads over time ;o)
  • edited April 2013
    I look forward to reading more Julian. I think its great for the forum that you have decided to do this. I know everyone takes the mick about how good it must be to run like Julian Thew but I was wondering if you have ever  been on a really bad downswing?
    Posted by jonjo75
    tyvm jonjo,
    to be fair, i'd run pretty good in my poker career for many years which meant i was totally unprepared for a brutal two year stretch around 2009/2010.
    up to 2007/2008 my yearly winnings had pretty much increased year on year & i guess i fell into the trap of, albeit conservatively, extrapolating future earnings.
    looking back, it was a pretty stressful time in our lives, we were undergoing a big renovation of the house, we had a third baby to manage, i had the taxman on my back, things with my then sponsor william hill weren't looking as rosy as they once were & my game was very much on autopilot.
    back then i was travelling the european circuit full time & i guess i just fell out of love with the game, i'd bust an event & just want to get home pronto, whereas to be successful as a live pro you really do need to stick around & grind the sides.
    it was a pretty humbling experience & i count myself as very lucky to have had some good friends there when i needed them.
  • edited April 2013
    Subscriped! 

Will go off and think of loads of annoying questions for you now :) 
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    He had better not even THINK about it.

For every one he has on me, I have three on him.

Be afraid.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : He had better not even THINK about it. For every one he has on me, I have three on him. Be afraid.
    Posted by Tikay10
    It's against forum rules to disrespect our sponsored pro so be careful :)
  • edited April 2013
    Really looking forward to reading this Julian. I won't be able to make SPT Dublin, but will you be making an appearance at Birmingham or is it way too far in the future for you to plan? Any ideas when we might get to see you on 861 again? It's always good to see you on the show. @Jonjo - would be pretty crazy/nigh on impossible for anyone to have played poker as long as Julian to have not had a really bad downswing.
    Posted by Lambert180

hey mr,

the plan is to play all the SPTs & birmingham is an old stomping ground of mine so i'll be looking forward to that one.

& yes, i'll definately be on 861 again as a guest from time to time...i was offered & trialled the analyst spot for a few shows last year but really wasn't comfortable in that role; i'm not a big talker & used to dread any form of public speaking so co-hosting a live show for five hours straight wasn't really an experience i relished lol...i sure do admire the likes of tikay & ryan who have put in the time & effort, it really shows now & without doubt is a great skill set to possess.

i can still remember the first time tikay did a show, pre-blonde locks, i think it was on channel 425, myself & amanda tuned in & i think in unison, sat up &  said, 'OMG, get some make-up on the poor man!'

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Fast/Middle Lane : FWIW I love this title (much better without the Fast/ IMO). Should be an interesting read, especially from a guy who is now where a lot of people on the site aspire to be, and who is also always credited with being a thoroughly nice chap. Similar to TommyD for me too, always interested in what he has to say for the same reasons. Four kids, and of those ages wow!  Looking forward to following it all. GL, Mike.
    Posted by bbMike
    tx for the kind words mike!

• edited April 2013
    planning an online session tonight, i really do enjoy turbo tuesdays...it's weird, live, i can grind a short stack for days but online i seem to have a much lower boredom threshold & def favour the pacier events #punter

i was going to play last night but we had a long day unpacking, getting the roofbox & bars off the car & hey, i even gave the lawn it's first cut of the year. 

i'm off out with the boys this morning, there's a great walk in nearby radcliffe, the next town downstream from here, it's got a good hill & hugs the trent with a great playground along the way...it takes like 30 mins to even get out the door & at least half will be protesting but once there they'll love it.

will bring crisps.

• edited April 2013
    Julian, Great to see you have a diary, there is so much so many can learn from your experiences as a full time pro. So many players get one or two big results and think they are a world beater! Seeing you continue to get results shows real ability in my opinion. So to get the questions/interactions going, you have played a fair bit both online and live. Have you found you have had spells in form live but not online (or vice versa) or do you find the two go hand in hand and either you are crushing both or neither. Do you find form has a big impact on the way you play? Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    cheers mr bates,

i def consider myself a live player...i think i'm ok online but tbh i find it more of a guessing game as i struggle to religiously follow all the action on even 2 or 3 tables. live, it's all there in front of you & for me, decisions are based on so much more solid information.

i don't think my live form creeps over to my online game, buts there's no doubt form is a beautiful thing for an MTT player; confidence can be so fickle & i find a result or two really helps give you your self belief back.

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : cheers mr bates, i def consider myself a live player...i think i'm ok online but tbh i find it more of a guessing game as i struggle to religiously follow all the action on even 2 or 3 tables. live, it's all there in front of you & for me, decisions are based on so much more solid information. i don't think my live form creeps over to my online game, buts there's no doubt form is a beautiful thing for an MTT player; confidence can be so fickle & i find a result or two really helps give you your self belief back.
    Posted by yoyo

So true, the confidence dwindles when not winning - the winning just reinforces your own self belief that your game does work )

Looking forward to an intresting read

Intresting you say live you feel more concentrated on the action and picking up tells - but online you get bored.
    For most online players they get very bored playing one table live.
    Do you think online players who make the switch to live are more likely to blow up and/or make plays just out of boredom.

• edited April 2013
    Subscriped!  Will go off and think of loads of annoying questions for you now :) 
    Posted by dylan12

we call it 'subscribing' on this side of the border son

• edited April 2013
    Really lookin forward to this read.Have followed a lot of your play in the past.Goin to dub with the wife on the spt weekend.Tryin to sat there atm.If I dont get there to play,will still deffo show my face to meet a lot of the forum regulars.Only a 3 hr train journey from where I live.
    Be good
    Paul
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : So true, the confidence dwindles when not winning - the winning just reinforces your own self belief that your game does work ) Looking forward to an intresting read Intresting you say live you feel more concentrated on the action and picking up tells - but online you get bored. For most online players they get very bored playing one table live. Do you think online players who make the switch to live are more likely to blow up and/or make plays just out of boredom.
    Posted by rancid

hey rancid,

yeah i think alot of onliners struggle with pace of a long live game & many spots that are deemed standard online might not apply in a live setting...the transition shouldn't be that tough if you can find a way to handle the pace without immersing yourself in distractions; i've been working on my posture at the table over the past couple of months; it's a really small detail but it's really helped improve my concentration & (hopefully) table presence.

• edited April 2013
    Hi Julian, look forward to reading this. 

I was always curious as to how poker players with families manage. Do you find when your touring it puts a strain on your family life? 

I'm sure i read somewhere you stopped doing alot of events, - is this true, and was this for family reasons? 

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : we call it 'subscribing' on this side of the border son
    Posted by yoyo
    Sigh, I was in a rush at the time! 

Really enjoying this thread, great read for anyone suffering from insomnia 
  • edited April 2013

Nice result tonight Julian!

• edited April 2013
    Really lookin forward to this read.Have followed a lot of your play in the past.Goin to dub with the wife on the spt weekend.Tryin to sat there atm.If I dont get there to play,will still deffo show my face to meet a lot of the forum regulars.Only a 3 hr train journey from where I live. Be good Paul
    Posted by bignoise10
    hey paul,
    tyvm sir, yeah def say hello...have only played at SE once before, it's in a great location with plenty of decent watering holes close by, be sure to say hello!
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Julian, look forward to reading this.  I was always curious as to how poker players with families manage. Do you find when your touring it puts a strain on your family life?  I'm sure i read somewhere you stopped doing alot of events, - is this true, and was this for family reasons? 
    Posted by The_Don90

hey don,

having a family coupled with being comfortably middle aged def means i've been more conservative with my money management than if i were a young whipper snapper with dreams of taking on & beating the best...i play to make a living.

i used to travel way more but have pretty much limited my travelling to the uk & ireland over the past 3 years; overheads are lower & there's less time spent travelling.

just before easter i was offered a spot representing the UK in cyprus this weekend for the IFP european nations cup, with a chance to qualify for the finals in rio in november...it was an all expenses paid for trip for 3 or 4 nights but it's a 5hr flight, the dep times from london were awful & in short i just couldn't face 2 long days of travelling for such a short trip.

the younger me would have snapped it up #gettinold
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : Sigh, I was in a rush at the time!  Really enjoying this thread, great read for anyone suffering from insomnia 
    Posted by dylan12

can you just totally avoid me anytime i'm even near a FT in future pls #bokcentral

• edited April 2013
    Nice result tonight Julian!
    Posted by MattBates
    tx matt,

i still think i need to find a way to get into your slipstream tho lol.

an excellent night online for me, i don't think i've had a win on skypoker yet this year but i sneaked a 2nd & a 3rd in the 9pm & 10.30pm turbos.

KJ getting there v gerrad9's QQ & a 2-8 shove hitting runner/runner 88 were the most memorable suck-outs, other than that it was a fairly clean fight ;o)

should have done better at the business end, tried to rush it a bit & (finally) got what i deserved.

gonna play live tonight, it's only a £25 comp but hey, it's all practice right?
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : can you just totally avoid me anytime i'm even near a FT in future pls #bokcentral
    Posted by yoyo
    Weeeeeeeeeeee!! 

Dinner paid for tho:)  
  • edited April 2013
    played live at dtd on wednesday & thursday.

the events start at 7pm now which can be a bit of a struggle but at least you can late reg til 8.

the 25+1 on wednesday was over very quickly; the midweeks have aggressive structures with 20 mins clocks which means that by level 4 you're playing 200/400/25...which to cut a long story short means that i was back home late regging the skypoker 8-9pm's...i'd have been better having a night off as i bricked all four that i played.

last night was more fun, a 6 max 50+1 & i managed to squeeze into the money in 9th after blowing-off a double-average stack when a 10 flush draw couldn't get there vs J3 on a K33 flop; oh yeah, you should never chase flushes on paired boards btw.

i'm off tp play the 500 GUKPT at didsbury this morning....it's near manchester apparently, i'm not sure it'll get a great deal of runners so value-wise it's probably not the best choice but will be good practise for the TSP monte carlo outing next week.
  • edited April 2013

so i played gukpt didsbury over the weekend...had a good day1, no big double ups but i was fortunate enough to catch a few bluffs;

there's a raise, call, i call AJs on the button, blinds call...AQx flop, checked to me, i bet, SB calls.

brick on the turn, chk/chk...10 on river, i bet, SB tanks for 2, maybe 3 minutes which is a really really long time & raises big, prob a 1/3 of his remaining stack.

i actually laughed out loud as no one ever takes that long to raise, it just really sniffed of a move, i called & i think he was pretty surprised saying i thought you would fold A-10...err, no sir, you got the wrong guy ))

so i finished on a very decent 93k & built up to about 110k during the first session on day 2...i had a pretty solid image at this point so obv did 20k trying to barrel someone off a hand, followed by making an iffy call w A-8 on the button v a 20bb re-shove from the SB.

had to then tread water with a below average stack for a few levels, lost AK v 67 to cripp1e me & then shoved 15bb SB v BB w Q7 losing to A2 to go out a few places before the money.

so some good, some hmmm. 

it's the 1k monte carlo this friday, really looking forward it, i think most of the TSP gang are out for a few beers & eats on thursday night in nottingham, just to steady the nerves you understand.

• edited April 2013
    so i played gukpt didsbury over the weekend...had a good day1, no big double ups but i was fortunate enough to catch a few bluffs; there's a raise, call, i call AJs on the button, blinds call...AQx flop, checked to me, i bet, SB calls. brick on the turn, chk/chk...10 on river, i bet, SB tanks for 2, maybe 3 minutes which is a really really long time & raises big, prob a 1/3 of his remaining stack. i actually laughed out loud as no one ever takes that long to raise, it just really sniffed of a move, i called & i think he was pretty surprised saying i thought you would fold A-10...err, no sir, you got the wrong guy )) so i finished on a very decent 93k & built up to about 110k during the first session on day 2...i had a pretty solid image at this point so obv did 20k trying to barrel someone off a hand, followed by  making an iffy call w A-8 on the button v a 20bb re-shove from the SB. had to then tread water with a below average stack for a few levels, lost AK v 67 to cripp1e me & then shoved 15bb SB v BB w Q7 losing to A2 to go out a few places before the money. so some good, some hmmm.  it's the 1k monte carlo this friday, really looking forward it, i think most of the TSP gang are out for a few beers & eats on thursday night in nottingham, just to steady the nerves you understand.  
    Posted by yoyo
    Who are you trying to kid???

Im probably going to play the online day 1 (won a seat last night) so hopefully see you Saturday