You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Life In The Middle Lane

Comments

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane:
    Hi Julian I've been playing just over two years mainly 2.20 deep stacks and recently some 200 gtd. I started keeping a simple results record the last few months and it has really helped me focus and keep track of profit and loss.  games   wins   final tables   cashes  no good Just wondered if you kept records of on line play, and also what                                  percentage of tournys you aimed to cash in or if it matters to you. I'm sure you would get a great welcome if you could ever find the time                             to play with the 7.15 gang. Thanks. Daggers.
    Posted by daggers747

hey daggers, sry for the very late reply!

i keep very detailed live records, online not so much...skypoker is the only site i really play on & by some miracle i think i've only deposited the once,

i also tend to make (modest) withdawls every couple of months & just keep enough in to work with.

being an MTT player with £100 being the biggest buy-in quite often i'll just have 30 buy-ins to play with.

so i don't really track my results on here, if i was to guess i'd say i maybe cash 1 in 8 & FT maybe 1 in 20, could be way off lol,

gl & hopefully cu on the tables sometime soon

• edited September 2013
    Been up in Manchester for most of the week for the gukpt, late reg'd the 300 at the last minute & busted within 2 revolutions, I opened AK, sb called & bb made what looked like a really transparent 3b meaning I 4b called it off only to find he had AA.
    The 6 max went better, 3 handed I had 20bb & the other two had 40bb each - was loving it when they both got it all in with 2 pretty marginal hands, couldn't get anything going heads up but a nice result all the same for 4k.
    We're 2 levels into the main event, annoyingly I've dribbled down to 16 from 20k but its a great structure so it's far from a problem yet...oh & there's a 75k overlay as we speak, very rare to see those sort of nos outside of dtd!
  • edited September 2013
    i ended up going quite deep in the main event but slowly petered out midway thru day 2, five spots off the lolly, got home saturday night & it was great to see everyone after being away for four nights.
    with the promise of good weather we went to chatsworth house on sunday...it was great & if you've never been it's well worth a visit, the grounds are amazing & the boys had a blast getting wet in the cascades & scrambling up & down the rockery.
    i got back just in time to late reg flight 5 of the grand prix at dtd, ran pretty good & bagged up a 140k stack for day 2 on saturday...i might go down again on thursday to try & garner some more chips but the nit in me is thinking how nice it is to be in for just one bullet...we shall see.
    played the main & mini last night after a week away from the online felt; in my defense we did get through a bottle of white prior to me sitting down...& hey i made the first break in both.
    i'm off to meet an old canoeing pal for a few pints tonight then i'll be back on the grind for wednesday nights £10 re-buy, one of my favourites!
  • edited September 2013
    i ended up going quite deep in the main event but slowly petered out midway thru day 2, five spots off the lolly, got home saturday night & it was great to see everyone after being away for four nights. with the promise of good weather we went to chatsworth house on sunday...it was great & if you've never been it's well worth a visit, the grounds are amazing & the boys had a blast getting wet in the cascades & scrambling up & down the rockery. i got back just in time to late reg flight 5 of the grand prix at dtd, ran pretty good & bagged up a 140k stack for day 2 on saturday...i might go down again on thursday to try & garner some more chips but the nit in me is thinking how nice it is to be in for just one bullet...we shall see. played the main & mini last night after a week away from the online felt; in my defense we did get through a bottle of white prior to me sitting down...& hey i made the first break in both. i'm off to meet an old canoeing pal for a few pints tonight then i'll be back on the grind for wednesday nights £10 re-buy, one of my favourites!
    Posted by yoyo
    Hi Julian. Just a quick Q regarding your DTD stack. How does that 140k compare to the average? Car load of us heading down on Friday for the last day 1 and making a weekend of it regardless what happens poker wise. Hope to see you on day 2!

Might see you in the rebuy tonight, also one of my faves.

Cheers, 'Harry'.

• edited September 2013

Afternoon Julian! This diary certainly makes for interesting reading, and it's a wonderful insight into the world of someone who plays this game we love for a living.

Just wanted to say it was great to meet you at the SPT in Newcastle (I was at your table, wearing - how shall I put it - the brightly coloured shirt two seats to your left) and hopefully see you on the virtual felt soon. I will definitely be in the Rebuy Open tonight.

Regards,
    Brian

• edited September 2013
    wow - 75k overlay - Must be nice 

Interesting article with Ross Jarvis in Poker Player Mag btw  - 

GL

Paul
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : Hi Julian. Just a quick Q regarding your DTD stack. How does that 140k compare to the average? Car load of us heading down on Friday for the last day 1 and making a weekend of it regardless what happens poker wise. Hope to see you on day 2! Might see you in the rebuy tonight, also one of my faves. Cheers, 'Harry'.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

hey,

i think average for one stack will be somewhere between 150-180 & with the addition of a few merged stacks prob 180-220?

come & say hello on saturday yeah & i'll try & give you a break on the FT bubble if ur on for the jackpot tonight ;o)

• edited September 2013
    Afternoon Julian! This diary certainly makes for interesting reading, and it's a wonderful insight into the world of someone who plays this game we love for a living. Just wanted to say it was great to meet you at the SPT in Newcastle (I was at your table, wearing - how shall I put it - the brightly coloured shirt two seats to your left) and hopefully see you on the virtual felt soon. I will definitely be in the Rebuy Open tonight. Regards, Brian
    Posted by Slipwater

oh hey brian,

thanks for the kind words & yeah how could i forget that shirt :o)

glgl tonight

• edited September 2013
    wow - 75k overlay - Must be nice  Interesting article with Ross Jarvis in Poker Player Mag btw  -  GL Paul
    Posted by MP33
    tx paul,

yeah was happy with how the article read although maybe 'my fears for the younger pros' was slightly ott,

sounded like tikay, sigh
  • edited September 2013
    ahh the weekend & i can't believe the weather is still so good,
    the bad news is that i'm thru to the dtd grand prix with a decent stack so hopefully i'll be stuck inside all afternoon, the good news is that there's 50k up top so it ain't all bad.
    pretty sure there'll be a few sky regs there too, rosjim & neil are usually permanent fixtures at these events.
    will def be jumping in the roller tomorrow night if i'm out then it's down to london for the ukipt on tuesday evening, legend has it the streets are paved with gold...
  • edited September 2013
    really enjoyed playing the grand prix, despite poor cards my healthy stack meant i was able to hang around for a long while,
    i got fortunate squeeze jamming 10-6 from the SB v a late position open only for the BB to snap with AK - the A,3,5 flop didn't look so good, oh hold on, 2,4 run-out for a chop...
    hung around with 10-15bb for most of the day then managed to get some momentum during the last hr or two to bag up an average 2m with 36 left.
    day 3 didn't go so well & i eventually shipped 16bb from the button with KQ, didn't mind getting a call from 88 in the BB but bricked...it's a lot to just open-shove but i was really trying to get a super laggy/spewtard image going.
    cashed for 500.

jumped into the super roller & boy did i run good, i remember cracking KK with the nut flush & AA with the nut flush, both all-in pre, i'm sure there were many more but i don't think i lost a flip til 3 handed. 
    i had 1.2m from 2.9m chips in play at the start of the FT after a pretty sick spot w AK v AQ blind on blind 3 handed on the FT bubble, then i had 2m when we were 3 handed.
    lost a 40/60, then a flip to level it out & just 5b spewed 40bb w K10s v sam1986s JJ. gg sir.
    disappointed that i didn't mentally re-group after losing two pots, guess i thought i was invincible, but wow, 40bbs, so much play left!
  • edited September 2013
    Cracking FT and WP!

I look forward to seeing our hand that put me on Tilt!!

Congrats to Sam too!!
  • edited September 2013
    what did you have btw?
  • edited September 2013
    Great game last night guys - well done Julian (and watto)
  • edited October 2013
    tx brian,

nice playin with you again
  • edited October 2013
    off to london tonight,
    meeting a couple friends down there & will be late reg'ing the £80er at the vic.
    will play day 1b of the ukipt on thursday - i've got a 5% swap with scotty who plays 1a, how can i not make $$$ on this venture!
    there's a 500 satellite to the ept on friday night which i'll play if i've busted.
    i can't win online sats for nuts, used to think i was terrible at live ones but having played quite a few dtd events where you need to finish in the top 10% i'm feeling like i'll at least be competitive.
    i haven't played an ept for 3 years now, in fact the last one i played was in london & i hated every minute of it.
    it was pretty much the tail end of a 18 month downswing, confidence was rock bottom & i was just going through the motions.
    i dropped down in stakes & eventually things levelled out...that's still where i am today & i'm so much happier for it; if the stakes you play cause too much stress & unhappiness in your life you're playing too high.
    and there endeth todays lesson.
  • edited October 2013
  • edited October 2013
    Good luck Julian.
  • edited October 2013

It’s refreshing to hear someone of your experience and ability talk about ‘dropping down a level’, and being more comfortable there, because I think that too many poker players are of the mindset that they have to climb the ladder as fast and as high as possible or else it isn’t worth it. If you jump the gun there, all you’re really doing is losing more money faster.

Good luck in your games this week, Julian.

• edited October 2013
    Gl to both you and Ryan.
  • edited October 2013
    Good luck darn sarf Julian! And well done for making yet another Sky FT!

Was nice to meet you, albeit briefly, at DTD at the weekend. I know its a long day so didn't wanna keep you, and tbh there was a guy at the cash table happy to get K high all in pre for 100 of the Queens finest, so I couldn't stay away from him for too long ;)

If I make the Grand Final, I'll buy you a drink*

*water. Not sparkling.
  • edited October 2013
    tx for the kind words guys,
    i played the tuesday 80 at the vic & the 100 win the button at the connaught rooms - didn't get going in either but what a venue for the ukipt, in a great part of town & i dunno, it's just refreshing to be away from the edgeware road area.
    the main event went better, jumped in at the end of level 2, nothing happened for a level or 2 then hit a nice little patch;
    defended my BB w A8 v middle aged euro, he barreled K55xx board for 1k, 2k, 5k & ace-high was good v his Q10 to get me out of the blocks.
    i then got the rest of his stack when i binked with KK v his AA - from 20k starting i prob got up to 80 before i lost all traction & ended the day on 46k.
    i had two huge stacks on my left later on which didn't help & lost a fair chunk raising AQ, the big stack flatted & i check called three streets on an ace high board but he had AK - i like the way he played that.
    also lost some defending my BB w 910 - opponent had AA & made a nice check on the 344 flop, i then turned a nine, bet turn & river & paid off his river raise.
    average was 60 so was happy enough to return for day 2 with 30 bigs.
    new table was better, chipped up to 65k then got QQ in v AKdd & lost to a flush.
    i entered the 550 satellite for the ept, it was my sort of structure lol, 5k chips/20 min clock - it made 12x5250 seats with 50 for 13th, ouch.
    after about 2hrs average stack was 12-15bb for the rest of the evening & after getting AJ in v AA & getting there i had a 20-25bb stack which i managed to cruise home.
    on the bubble one guy kept on asking everyone to pull up 370 each to make 13 seats, an optimistic request given the variety of stack sizes...he ended up bubbling in an unforunate manner (wasn't me).
    i hadn't played a live satellite for yonks & it was very exciting, such a big bubble!
    anyways i'm back down tomorrow for day 1b, ryan plays today & we've swapped 3%...how can i not make £££ on this venture?
  • edited October 2013
    got the 10am train down & in true reggie perrin style we were 50 mins late due to an earlier derailment & works of somesort or another so by the time i checked into my hotel & wandered down it was midway thru level 2...w 8x75 min levels i was happy enough to shave some time off the day.
    table looked good intially but within 30 mins they'd moved 3 people & the 3 replacements all seemed decent.
    i had benny spindler on my left & tbh i just played super tight, folding stuff like A10/JQ unless i was in the c/o or on the button or defending my blinds.
    prob didn't help that i was very card dead, i got one premium, aces, which my 3bet took down...was tempting to flat as there were 2 squeezers behind me but i just didn't want to take too many risks.
    so given how nitty & unimaginatively i was playing i was v happy to bag up 61k, double starting stack.
    two interesting hands, the first got me from 30-36k, always sweet to start of well:

min raise, call, SB called, i called with 2s4s in the BB & the flop falls QsJs9s.
    checks round to the button (older italian guy who won ept prague a few years back, wears a pork pie hat), anyway he bets, i call, bets turn & river (both blanks) & tbh when he fires the river i'm really not loving it but station him off & i'm good vs a set of nines. 

about an hour later there's a raise to 500, call, i call with black tens & benny makes it 2k on the button.
    one call, one fold, i call & we see a KcQc9c flop - chk/chk, benny bets 2k, i call.
    turn is a Q, chk/chk, river is a Q, i check & he bets 9k.
    i've seen him blast people off pots on tv & know enough of his rep that for me, i just not gonna forgive myself if i fold there, i called fairly quickly & tens were good - he showed AJ,can't remember if he had a club.

was nice to see some old faces from the circuit & i actually got cornered for interviews with stars & pokernews.

need to book another room for tonight, in fact all this last minute dashing around is pretty stressful; i got a nice (small) single room near kings cross for £100 last night but looking on the net at the moment the prices are ridiculous, even the flea pits are nearing £200!

fingers crossed for a decent day ahead

• edited October 2013
    ...always great to hear your poker tales, Julian :)

I agree: I don't think I'd be too keen on my four high flush in that spot either!

Good luck.

Brian
  • edited October 2013

tx brian ))

had a wobbly kind of day, ok table to start, with high roller ole shemion & chaz chatta to my right.

raise, bet/folded AQ within the first orbit & the stack dribbled down to 50k when i took on a 15k shove; the pot had been opened, he shipped & i found 99 in the hijack...bit of an iffy spot as the opener had 120k but i just felt the need to get involved/gamble, so i flatted, the opener folded & i sucked out on his queens when i flopped a nine...eek.

i said it was wobbly & this kind of sums up the first half of the day, i was still very card dead & playing very tight - i opened K10s in the cut-off, button flatted; i checked & he bet 3k on the 458 flop - i raised to 9k - he flatted - i turned a 10 & led for 13k - he flatted; i had 35k back, bingo'd a king on the river & somehow decided a check was the best line - he checked back jacks & i really think i brain-farted myself out of a double up there.

table eventually broke & i moved 90k to a new tougher looking table with lots of moody big stacks all to my left...noah boeken was on my right, we used to play together a lot back in the day, anyway he'd been grinding a 20k stack, doubled up to 40k then opened the cut-off to 4k...i found AJs & made it 11k, he paused & shipped.

i'm pretty sure this is a fold given that we effectively swap stacks if i lose but once again i felt the need to try & make sh#t happen; when your card dead for what seems like ever it's very easy to upgrade the middling hands so yes, again, i gambled & again, got very lucky vs his AQ on a 891079 run out.

that got to me 130k, a tad above average & i was feeling good; even better when i found aces; i bet flop & turn on a Qd10dx,x board but didn't feel so great when another 10 hit the river & my opponent led for 3/4 pot - anyways, he had 200+, there were many missed draws so i called & he showed me J10.

back to 70k & at 1200/2400/300 that soon became 50k; i opened J-J, fabian quoss flatted & mike watson shipped AQ - i called but didn't hold.

was pretty devastating but i'm feeling better about it this morning...no doubt i learnt a thing or two, was good to play with some of the leading lights & def feel with a few adjustments here & there i could have given myself a slightly better chance.

the structure is excellent, when i used to play epts it was 60 min levels throughout, now it's 75 on days 1 & 2 & (apparently) 90 from day 3 on; this definitely gives a player lots of flexibility as to how they want to approach & play the tournament, & it's interesting, i talked to a couple of excellent players & they pretty much just played solid ABC, there's certainly no need to be going ballistic on day 1 & that's probably why someone like carlo is set to cash again in this event, altho (& i'm sure he won't mind me saying this) i wouldn't back him to close it out.

probably going to head up to edinburgh tomorrow for the gps

• edited October 2013
    Interesting read.

Certainly a couple of lucky hands in there but also unfortunate with the aces and the jacks - thats poker I guess!

General question - do you find it easier to play live or online?  For instance are there advantages to playing live such as tells etc that can make you take a slightly bigger risk for the DU, or incidentally get away from hands when you actually have time to think about the situation?  Or is it just player dependant on betting tendancies that can just as easily be interpreted online, if not easier, than playing live?

I've only played live once you see (and cashed- thin brag) but i was thinking of sticking a few more live games into my planning and was wondering if there was any advice you could offer about possibly altering your game for the live tables where dynamics can be a lot more interesting than online.

Cheers

• edited October 2013
    Fascinating read Julian, as always. Great memory to remember all those hands too... ;)

Gazza: not that you asked me, but playing live is fantastic. It is almost a different game. You really should get yourself out there.

Brian
  • edited October 2013
    Interesting in a few of your recent hands you talk about defending the BB.

Is that for long term image or is it important at any time - I.e. even early stages of a good structured tourney against random opponents? 

I really don't bother about defending at levels 1-3, means I am not playing oop with a marginal hand and I am developing a tight image. Once blinds increase really don't want to be seen as the stealing opportunity though. Equally don't want to be the stubborn defender either.

What factors your thoughts on whether and how to defend the BB?
  • edited October 2013
    I know you asked Julian but I wanted to say that in general a lot of players play too tight in the blinds. In most tournaments where ante's are involved you always get really good odds on defending your BB with any 2 and if someone is opening a wide range from late position you can't afford to be folding playable hands. Obviously if we're facing an early position opener though and have a hand like QTo even though we might still be getting a really good price, defending is just so much worse because we don't realise our equity and have a lot of RIO with a hand like this. Will let Julian add any more if he wants on this!

Anyway just like to add how good a read this thread's been! :)
  • edited October 2013
    Interesting in a few of your recent hands you talk about defending the BB. Is that for long term image or is it important at any time - I.e. even early stages of a good structured tourney against random opponents?  I really don't bother about defending at levels 1-3, means I am not playing oop with a marginal hand and I am developing a tight image. Once blinds increase really don't want to be seen as the stealing opportunity though. Equally don't want to be the stubborn defender either. What factors your thoughts on whether and how to defend the BB?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Was popping in to wish Mr Thew good luck should he be heading up to Edinburgh (what a life, sigh).

Regards to you Phantom, it gets trickier to defend your blinds the longer a tournament goes on. If it's a decent structured tournament (Roller or similar) and we pick up a reasonable blind holding (5 7s for eg), then we can certainly peel in these spots, or raise of course, in the first few levels. As the tournament progresses, we should try and avoid flatting in the blinds I feel. We just won't have a stack to play down the streets when the blinds start to get big. When the average is like 20bb, I don't think we should ever really be calling a raise in the BB, unless for deception with premium. Around the 20bb mark is where decisive poker comes into play, so we should never look to set mine with a small PP in the blinds (unless getting ridic odds like one raise and 4 callers, even then a squeeze shove would be better probably!).