You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Life In The Middle Lane

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane:
    Very well played at Dublin Julian, and a great summary above. You gonna be playing Birmingham in a few weeks?
    Posted by Lambert180
    tyty & yessir i'll see you there!
  • edited May 2013
    so i played day1b of the sheffield GPS yesterday & managed to get through with what must be a nearly average stack of 67k.

we started w 25k & i managed to chip up to 45k within the first few levels, then the cards really dried up & i was happy to just maintain that stack.

after 4 or 5 hours of playing very few hands i picked up AK & barrelled a 258J9 board & was disappointed to get sigh-called by A5...down to 30k...then i didn't see a re-raise as A5 guy was recalling some complicated HH that i was doing my best to look interested in, so after flicking in 800 w 35s in the BB i now felt compelled to call the extra 2200 which resulted in me check folding some broadway flop & all of a sudden i'm feeling the red hot tingle of tilt as i look down at my depleted stack of 25k.

in short i get it in 4b shoving twice with KQss, the first time i run into AQ & the board runs out AsQx,10s,J, the second time i run into AK & flop a queen & all of a sudden i'm up to 80k.

inspiring stuff, i did peak at 110k but lost a big pot on the penultimate hand of the night when i called down w AQ on a Q105,7,K board only to see J9 had got there.

so no complaints at all, i would have played again today so it's nice to have a day off & have saved the extra £440

• edited May 2013
    so i went back for day 2 on saturday & managed to spin up to 100k/65bb quite quickly playing aggressive vs a good young player who i had position on.

then i limped AQs SB v BB & the BB (playing 40bb) raised, i 3b, he 4b...i'd been pretty aggro up to that point so it was an easy ship, alas he had KK & held; in hindsight his 4b looked pretty strong/pot committed...it's close, i think i can 3b fold or even just continue with the passive line & call the intial raise...the flop was Q high tho lol.
    bled down to 14bb & shoved Q-9s from mid position & ran into AK.

i watched the latest EPT show last week on C4, it was the barcelona leg & the feature table had john juanda on it...he had AK twice & both times lost the minimum when he was chip daddy:
    in the first hand someone raised, he flatted & someone else flatted QQ, low flop, easy fold.
    in the second a short stack shoved, he flats AK, someone tank raises & he just lets go, i think the 3b'er had KK.

simple, sensible stuff really, i was very impressed
  • edited May 2013
    so i went back for day 2 on saturday & managed to spin up to 100k/65bb quite quickly playing aggressive vs a good young player who i had position on. then i limped AQs SB v BB & the BB (playing 40bb) raised, i 3b, he 4b...i'd been pretty aggro up to that point so it was an easy ship, alas he had KK & held; in hindsight his 4b looked pretty strong/pot committed...it's close, i think i can 3b fold or even just continue with the passive line & call the intial raise...the flop was Q high tho lol. bled down to 14bb & shoved Q-9s from mid position & ran into AK. i watched the latest EPT show last week on C4, it was the barcelona leg & the feature table had john juanda on it...he had AK twice & both times lost the minimum when he was chip daddy: in the first hand someone raised, he flatted & someone else flatted QQ, low flop, easy fold. in the second a short stack shoved, he flats AK, someone tank raises & he just lets go, i think the 3b'er had KK. simple, sensible stuff really, i was very impressed
    Posted by yoyo
    I actually believe that John Juanda is, arguably, the most complete, & best, Tourney player I have ever played against. He reads situations uncannily well. I tried a few moves against him & he read me like a book. Pfft. 

You at Chelsea Flower Show this week? Lodgings available near Hampton Court at bargain prices. I'll do the cooking if you bring the food.    
  • edited May 2013
    oh thanks for the short notice mate, we'll take you up on it next year, pencil us in pls...i did say to amanda that she could go on her tod but she's working 3 days this week as we're off to ireland for half term on friday.

you tried a few moves on JJ eh, boy i'd sure like to read them HHs...

forget to mention in yesterdays post that i finalled the primo for the first time ever on sunday, comfortablly second in chips...& went out 6th;
    i doubt mr juanda would have suffered the same fate, the big stack 3x'd it UTG, i 3b A-K, he shoved, i called & lost to J-J - kinda knew he was strong but what in the blazes am i doing gambling there versus the only guy who can bust me??

my only defence is tiredness & as often happens after a serious mis-step i had a restless nights sleep dreaming of frittered opportunities

a new blog is imminent, the theme is, of course, vegas
  • edited May 2013

Morning JT.

I promise I am not here just to mention last night's 4K B/H :)

Was going to put this up for discussion in the clinic, but decided to post it here for your views (and any others who would like to chip in)

Sheffield GPS -  I too was watching the live stream.

Near or on the bubble, a player called Ian on the feature table folded AK. He got a little bit of grief from all the 'experts' in the chat box. He then went on to finish 6th ish (afaicr) for a considerable amount of money, for him.
    Here is the thing......I would of probably done the same and folded! I know pros like yourself go for the win always and can pick on those who you can identify as holding on for a min cash, but is folding in this spot, and in his position, that wrong?
     In your early days, would you of locked up a min cash 1st before going for the win?

I am so trying to improve my MTT game so I often rail yourself and others (tommyd etc) to pick up tips. The only one I have learnt so far....make sure you pot them off the ceiling :)

See ya in Brum for that pint you owe me. :)

• edited May 2013
    so i went back for day 2 on saturday & managed to spin up to 100k/65bb quite quickly playing aggressive vs a good young player who i had position on. then i limped AQs SB v BB & the BB (playing 40bb) raised, i 3b, he 4b...i'd been pretty aggro up to that point so it was an easy ship, alas he had KK & held; in hindsight his 4b looked pretty strong/pot committed...it's close, i think i can 3b fold or even just continue with the passive line & call the intial raise...the flop was Q high tho lol. bled down to 14bb & shoved Q-9s from mid position & ran into AK. i watched the latest EPT show last week on C4, it was the barcelona leg & the feature table had john juanda on it...he had AK twice & both times lost the minimum when he was chip daddy: in the first hand someone raised, he flatted & someone else flatted QQ, low flop, easy fold. in the second a short stack shoved, he flats AK, someone tank raises & he just lets go, i think the 3b'er had KK. simple, sensible stuff really, i was very impressed
    Posted by yoyo
    Yeah, I watched this too, and remember thinking at the time how impressive it was.
  • edited May 2013
    tx for the post maxally, struggling to remember last nights exit, i think KK lost to KQ? 

yeah i heard about that hand on the live feed while watching the final; i know neither the action or the table dynamics but i doubt i'm folding because it's the bubble (i bubbled ukipt cork 3b shoving 33 with virtually no fold equity vs a big stack who'd been pummelling me).

when i was starting out i always went for it, there was no financial pressure, i had very few real-life commitments & i was just very keen to put max pressure on whenever a situation arose.

it kinda boils down to how comfortable you are with the money & how you rate your chances...that ukipt bubble spot i referenced above was prob a bad play & i'm pretty sure if you sat me down there now i'd fold & wait for a better opportunity...then though, it was a week after my GPS win, i had a pep in my step & just gambled/went for it.

similarly, i'd probably tighten right up with a short stack on the WSOP ME bubble because the $20k min cash is a pretty significant boost to my wages.

i gather the AK guy got a lot of stick & this touches on something else that's been bugging me lately, the long run; we often hear about plays made that are profitable 'in the long run', & i agree, for multi-tabling onliners this is probably a good way to approach the game but i think in the live arena folk put way too much stock in it.

i think it's best to try & approach every live event you play as if it's your last...so yeah, make a ridiculous fold with AK, blind down to 6bb on the final table, whatever it takes...this event, this final table, this moment will never happen again so make the most of the opportunity.

who cares what the crowd say, it's your tournament & only you can take responsibilty for the hands you choose to play.
  • edited May 2013

Nice read julian

Once again big well done on your recent result in Dublin was a fun weekend and i was gutted when i had to leave whilst game was still going i heard you ran well with a few hands later on lol.
    I got in through a 5.50 sat last night to spt brum so il c ya there gl m8 . shall b keeping  an eye on this thread looks like a good en
  • edited May 2013

There is one thing about A-K which I believe is fundamentally inarguable.

The optimal way to play it, assuming we are both playing deep enough, is always to be the shover rather than the caller.

That gives us two ways to win.

I'm never scared to shove with A-K, but I'm rarely comfy calling with it, unless stack sizes suggest I must. It is, obviously, villain, table & situation dependent, but that, it seems to me, in the fundamental rule of A-K. Force the villain to make the decision.   

• edited May 2013

Cheers for the reply.

I am still unsure what I would do in that same situation TBH, but I guess it boils down to experience/volume of live games played.

Funny you should mention a 33 hand tho. A couple of years ago I bubbled a side event at SPT Blackpool when I shooved KQss in my BB after a min raise from another shortie.....who just had me covered. He went in the tank for ages, then called with 33 which held and KO'd me. I still think shooving with 33 is better than calling with 33.

The above situation though, influenced me at SPT Luton last year. I folded a big ace on or near the bubble as I was desperate for my first SPT cash! Now I have got that under my belt, I can play a little bit more freely at Brum.

You were very UL last night in two hands on the bounce in that 4K B/H. You had AQ v K9 on a Q10J flop i think, which crippled your stack, then I took you out with KQ v your JJ on a Q high flop. The only hand I have won against you all year TBF :)
  • edited May 2013
    "i gather the AK guy got a lot of stick & this touches on something else that's been bugging me lately, the long run; we often hear about plays made that are profitable 'in the long run', & i agree, for multi-tabling onliners this is probably a good way to approach the game but i think in the live arena folk put way too much stock in it."

Hi JT

As an online rec player who only ever plays more than 2 tables in the Monday night DTD and a few DYM's , this is something that has been bugging me too for ages.
    I only play as a hobby and just play each game as it comes.
    I play hands and situations as i feel fit at the time , be it right or wrong in the long term.
    BTW i joined SKY in Dec 2011 and haven't deposited since (albeit haven't made a big profit) , so i must be doing something ok :-)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
    Mick
  • edited May 2013
    Cheers for the reply. I am still unsure what I would do in that same situation TBH, but I guess it boils down to experience/volume of live games played. Funny you should mention a 33 hand tho. A couple of years ago I bubbled a side event at SPT Blackpool when I shooved KQss in my BB after a min raise from another shortie.....who just had me covered. He went in the tank for ages, then called with 33 which held and KO'd me. I still think shooving with 33 is better than calling with 33. The above situation though, influenced me at SPT Luton last year. I folded a big ace on or near the bubble as I was desperate for my first SPT cash! Now I have got that under my belt, I can play a little bit more freely at Brum. You were very UL last night in two hands on the bounce in that 4K B/H. You had AQ v K9 on a Q10J flop i think, which crippled your stack, then I took you out with KQ v your JJ on a Q high flop. The only hand I have won against you all year TBF :)
    Posted by MAXALLY

yeah, just as in tonys AK example, you can't really call with 3-3 as you're flipping at best vs anything other than 2-2.

well of course you can call, i mean you paid your money so do what you like, but it's a gamble.

hope you enjoyed last nights 'moment', hopefully not to be repeated anytime soon!

• edited May 2013
                           Nice read julian            Once again big well done on your recent result in Dublin was a fun weekend and i was gutted when i had to leave whilst game was still going i heard you ran well with a few hands later on lol. I got in through a 5.50 sat last night to spt brum so il c ya there gl m8 . shall b keeping  an eye on this thread looks like a good en
    Posted by goldenb238
    nice one colin,
    & yes, ran very well at the business end ;o)
    don't think i can do the friday night but will be there for the ME on saturday!
  • edited May 2013
    "i gather the AK guy got a lot of stick & this touches on something else that's been bugging me lately, the long run; we often hear about plays made that are profitable 'in the long run', & i agree, for multi-tabling onliners this is probably a good way to approach the game but i think in the live arena folk put way too much stock in it." Hi JT As an online rec player who only ever plays more than 2 tables in the Monday night DTD and a few DYM's , this is something that has been bugging me too for ages. I only play as a hobby and just play each game as it comes. I play hands and situations as i feel fit at the time , be it right or wrong in the long term. BTW i joined SKY in Dec 2011 and haven't deposited since (albeit haven't made a big profit) , so i must be doing something ok :-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    tx mick,
    & btw, i'm always super impressed when i hear that line!
  • edited May 2013
    tx for the post maxally, struggling to remember last nights exit, i think KK lost to KQ?  yeah i heard about that hand on the live feed while watching the final; i know neither the action or the table dynamics but i doubt i'm folding because it's the bubble (i bubbled ukipt cork 3b shoving 33 with virtually no fold equity vs a big stack who'd been pummelling me). when i was starting out i always went for it, there was no financial pressure, i had very few real-life commitments & i was just very keen to put max pressure on whenever a situation arose. it kinda boils down to how comfortable you are with the money & how you rate your chances...that ukipt bubble spot i referenced above was prob a bad play & i'm pretty sure if you sat me down there now i'd fold & wait for a better opportunity...then though, it was a week after my GPS win, i had a pep in my step & just gambled/went for it. similarly, i'd probably tighten right up with a short stack on the WSOP ME bubble because the $20k min cash is a pretty significant boost to my wages. i gather the AK guy got a lot of stick & this touches on something else that's been bugging me lately, the long run; we often hear about plays made that are profitable 'in the long run', & i agree, for multi-tabling onliners this is probably a good way to approach the game but i think in the live arena folk put way too much stock in it. i think it's best to try & approach every live event you play as if it's your last...so yeah, make a ridiculous fold with AK, blind down to 6bb on the final table, whatever it takes...this event, this final table, this moment will never happen again so make the most of the opportunity. who cares what the crowd say, it's your tournament & only you can take responsibilty for the hands you choose to play.
    Posted by yoyo

what great real world live play advice

i always wonder why my live play is so much better than my online results - and it isn't about live tells, that's for sure. but i do find myself doing things that i know aren't optimal "in the long run" but just seem right at the time. i'm guessing with online the shorter reaction time required, and multitabling negates any feel i pick up live, and leaves me at the mercy of my numerous leaks. live, i have even folded AK utg on the bubble (sorry Tikay) based on my view of the expected dynamic between the larger stacks. right or wrong decision "in the long run" up for debate, but i survived the bubble and took it down.

please keep up your posting Julien, this is excellent stuff, as well as your run good.

PS any other comments as to why my live play is better than my online play gratefully received (and yes i prefer to phrase the comparison this way round!)

• edited May 2013
    tyvm geldy,

forgive me & my poor memory but have we played together live? i must be the nut worst person to ask about someones online game as i struggle even to remember my own exit hands (see above), so unless it's something pretty whacky that we both got involved in good luck!

like you i favour my live game over my online one any day of the week; online i just find it nearly impossible to focus 100% on the screen & tables, there's just always too many distractions & temptations; i suspect i need a photo booth type structure in my office where all i can see is a screen with a table on to really maximise my potential #mighttrythis

& glad to hear i'm not the only one who likes the occasional non-opitmal line in a live game!

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Life In The Middle Lane : I actually believe that John Juanda is, arguably, the most complete, & best, Tourney player I have ever played against. He reads situations uncannily well. I tried a few moves against him & he read me like a book. Pfft.  You at Chelsea Flower Show this week? Lodgings available near Hampton Court at bargain prices. I'll do the cooking if you bring the food.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Found this gem from Tikay which backs up the Juanda comments, Thewy is also good but Dwan isn't!

In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious?:
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : You don't say whether Cash or Tourney, Live or Online. Let's discount all Online players first...... Live Tourneys? The odious Mark Telscher is half-tidy, so is Richard Gryko, James Akenhead, The Camel, Thewy of course, but I'd have to go for John Juanda. I need to think a bit more about that question, I may revise those answers. In fact, I'm sure I will. But it won't include any Online Cash players, because I don't play it much, or know them.  They are all disqualified because they are anonymous. And young. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited May 2013
    Hello Julian.
    Are you planning on playing the ISPT?
  • edited May 2013
    Hello Julian. Are you planning on playing the ISPT?
    Posted by jonjo75

hey,

no, i've a family wedding to attend in ireland on day 2a & it would just be way too much hassle to try & get back in time for day 2b

gutted i can't as it's sure to be the best value MTT we'll ever see on these shores for quite sometime,

glgl if you're in!

• edited May 2013
    Thats a shame you can't make it, as you said I think its going to be huge value.
    I have managed to scrape in with what will probably be one of the smallest starting stacks but still 69BB.
    I am hoping all my run good for the year comes in this tourney :)
  • edited May 2013
    Enjoying your diary Julian. You have a talent for it, i feel, almost as if your chatting to all as individuals and you seem to be 100% honest. Mind that could be a bluff,ha!!
    Ty for putting the effort in...cheers
  • edited May 2013
    Thats a shame you can't make it, as you said I think its going to be huge value. I have managed to scrape in with what will probably be one of the smallest starting stacks but still 69BB. I am hoping all my run good for the year comes in this tourney :)
    Posted by jonjo75
    ah good luck & remember not to waste energy on fretting about how many chips the other players have, 60 odd bbs is fine to start the day with & it's very possible to grind a short stack for days...just ask tikay #weeeee
  • edited May 2013
    Enjoying your diary Julian. You have a talent for it, i feel, almost as if your chatting to all as individuals and you seem to be 100% honest. Mind that could be a bluff,ha!! Ty for putting the effort in...cheers
    Posted by profman15
    hah, my bluffs usually get called so we shall see!
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Julian,

No we haven't played live, i'm only a rec player, our buyins don't overlap very much and I haven't been able to play any SPTs.

I remember two hands against you online. First one, you raised utg and i took you on with quite a weak hand (don't remember what) and managed to stack you, based purely on the assumption you would be raising light and i fancied the challenge. The second I tried to do the same, this time though I had QQ but you had KK #sigh #youwererunninglikeThewy

• edited May 2013
    Hi Julian, No we haven't played live, i'm only a rec player, our buyins don't overlap very much and I haven't been able to play any SPTs. I remember two hands against you online. First one, you raised utg and i took you on with quite a weak hand (don't remember what) and managed to stack you, based purely on the assumption you would be raising light and i fancied the challenge. The second I tried to do the same, this time though I had QQ but you had KK #sigh #youwererunninglikeThewy
    Posted by GELDY

so the score's 1-1? #runlikegeldy

• edited May 2013

Just seen you got R/U in last night's Main - congratulations. You obv got dis connected when H/U...:)

Could I ask why you didnt play the mini and go for the jackpot added prize? Was it so you could concentrate on just the one game?
  • edited May 2013
    tyty chap!

i nearly always play the mini, the 9pm & 10.30pm alongside the main...last night though, the wife was out so i had a free reign in the lounge; had some tunes on, a bottle of red, some great company (obv),

one table just fitted the bill, not too taxing when i'm chillaxing & hey i sure ain't complaining.

HU johny_e had a 2:1 lead which i didn't even even get close to overcoming #ggsir
  • edited May 2013
    Just seen this, Gratz on the 2nd place mate! 

Using all your run good up before Vegas I see, sigh ;) 

Alan, lol @ Thewy even coming close to winning the Jackpot, you need mad skillz to do that :) #weeeeeeee
  • edited June 2013
    Just seen this, Gratz on the 2nd place mate!  Using all your run good up before Vegas I see, sigh ;)  Alan, lol @ Thewy even coming close to winning the Jackpot, you need mad skillz to do that :) #weeeeeeee
    Posted by dylan12
    didn't you win that back in the day when no one could play?