You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!)

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Come on Waller. If he goes to Larson for 4nl advice, he'll be busto before he can say quad aces ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Update from last night....

I thought it was going to be one of those nights where absolutely nothing went my way. I entered the mini BH and was going well until I flopped the straight on my bb in a multiway pot. One of the players shoves, I'm sat there with the nuts so happily snap him off, he turns over a set and rivers the fh.......grrr

In the 7.15 deepy I never built a stack and ended up losing in a blind v blind confrontation with GaryQQQ (the hand is posted in his diary).....coolered, 2 pair v  bigger 2 pair. This hand happened literally 2 mins after the hand in the mini and at this point I had to take a minute or two away from the laptop (even though I still had 2 other tables open!).

This did help me calm down though and I went on to win the 7.45 £1.10 deepy. I got fortunate in certain spots, my AQ beating fellow TPTer Red_king's AK.......but you don't win an MTT without a bit of luck along the way, besides I think I was due a bit after the previous mtts!
    waller02 5950001£33.26
    I also played some forum cash, which was as fun as ever. I ended up a couple of quid down but had a good laugh.......I eventually had to stop playing due to severe intoxication!!

Drinking whilst playing. I hear people say all the time...don't play whilst drunk. BUT, I disagree with this. I always seem to play better after a few drinks, some of my best results have come whilst being under the influence. However I do think there is a fine line between being drunk and playing well and being leathered and playing badly......be interested to hear any other views on this.

BR = £169.53
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!):
    Come on Waller. If he goes to Larson for 4nl advice, he'll be busto before he can say quad aces ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    hahaha, I'm sure there are worse players to ask, maybe. You would also be a good person to ask, your backdoor strat is particularly strong.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : hahaha, I'm sure there are worse players to ask, maybe. You would also be a good person to ask, your backdoor strat is particularly strong.
    Posted by waller02
    I feel its my finest quality on the tables. I also warn people I have backdoors, but they dismiss it. More fool them!
  • edited August 2013
    Drinking whilst playing. I hear people say all the time...don't play whilst drunk. BUT, I disagree with this. I always seem to play better after a few drinks, some of my best results have come whilst being under the influence. However I do think there is a fine line between being drunk and playing well and being leathered and playing badly......be interested to hear any other views on this.

Actually agree with you here Ryan. Some of my best (including my best ever result in the primo) has come while I have had a few, so to speak. It does make you play better sometimes being more relaxed through drink, but totally agree that being blind drunk is not optimal! (ask Doh when he plays cash!, lol)
  • edited August 2013
    Drinking whilst playing. I hear people say all the time...don't play whilst drunk. BUT, I disagree with this. I always seem to play better after a few drinks, some of my best results have come whilst being under the influence. However I do think there is a fine line between being drunk and playing well and being leathered and playing badly......be interested to hear any other views on this. Actually agree with you here Ryan. Some of my best (including my best ever result in the primo) has come while I have had a few, so to speak. It does make you play better sometimes being more relaxed through drink, but totally agree that being blind drunk is not optimal! (ask Doh when he plays cash!, lol)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    just to prove my point.......I'm stone cold sober

Fudgee77773006Entry to £10k Primo SemiQUEEN_KING07£9.60waller0208
    a few drinks and I would have got the seat I'm sure haha
  • edited August 2013
    Having an early finish tonight. Played a primo sat (see above) and bubbled it :( Played a £250 BH, got off to a great start taking an early head only to lose a 90bb pot all in pre KK<JJ.....jack on turn sigh!!

Had a cash in the £25 GTD finishing in 2nd.

waller0202£7.50
    CBA with any more poker tonight.

BR = £170.68
  • edited August 2013
    Well done on the win on Friday night!

Just playing our fave tournie just now lol

Edit: Oot lol

Glad to see another win, things are going sweetly, just waiting for the next win now...;)
  • edited August 2013
    Pleased to see you won the £1.10 deepie last night after earlier bad runnage, well played.

I'm with you and Maxally. Playing in a relaxed frame of mind after a few drinks is totally cool as far as I'm concerned. I'm another whose biggest ever bink came whilst moderately under the influence. I think it can open up your game somewhat and bring in a little risk aversion that is perhaps more profitable than your normal style.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!):
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : Hi. Thanks for the post. Starting a diary is definitely a good way to try and improve your game, you can post any hands that you are unsure of and there are plenty of people here who give great advice. A diary can also help with things such as bankroll management etc.. If you have 4/5 weeks off then a few games of poker is a great way of passing the time. If you need any advice on playing 4nl then the likes of craigcu, larson7 and tintin are the best people to ask. They regularly play and easily beat that level. Gl mate.
    Posted by waller02

I'll get one started either tonight or tomorrow! I'm probably going to set up an excel document too to keep track of my bankroll - although I guess I can always add to it if need be. (Where it's currently at, I'm probably going to have to!) Thanks for the pointers too, I'll be running in their direction when things go belly up! Hopefully they won't though. It's not about building up a big bankroll for me, I'd rather focus more on trying to improve my game at this stage so I'll not be too fussed if I mess things up to start with so long as I improve from my mistakes.

Well done in the £1.10 deep stack the other night by the way!

As for drinking while playing poker, strangely enough I don't drink at all. That's bound to change though seeing as I'll be going to uni come September, I don't think anyone can stay sober through that! I can imagine it helps sometimes though, changing your mind set and style of play slightly. I can imagine a few people have blown their whole bankroll after a session too after they've had a few - that can't be nice to wake up to!

• edited August 2013
    Well done on the win on Friday night! Just playing our fave tournie just now lol Edit: Oot lol Glad to see another win, things are going sweetly, just waiting for the next win now...;)
    Posted by LARSON7
    Ul m8.........DTD tonight though you playing?
  • edited August 2013
    Pleased to see you won the £1.10 deepie last night after earlier bad runnage, well played. I'm with you and Maxally. Playing in a relaxed frame of mind after a few drinks is totally cool as far as I'm concerned. I'm another whose biggest ever bink came whilst moderately under the influence. I think it can open up your game somewhat and bring in a little risk aversion that is perhaps more profitable than your normal style.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Cheers Gary. I do enjoy the deepys as the fields are quite soft and there is always plenty of play.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to  Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : I'll get one started either tonight or tomorrow! I'm probably going to set up an excel document too to keep track of my bankroll - although I guess I can always add to it if need be. (Where it's currently at, I'm probably going to have to!) Thanks for the pointers too, I'll be running in their direction when things go belly up! Hopefully they won't though. It's not about building up a big bankroll for me, I'd rather focus more on trying to improve my game at this stage so I'll not be too fussed if I mess things up to start with so long as I improve from my mistakes.   Well done in the £1.10 deep stack the other night by the way!   As for drinking while playing poker, strangely enough I don't drink at all. That's bound to change though seeing as I'll be going to uni come September, I don't think anyone can stay sober through that! I can imagine it helps sometimes though, changing your mind set and style of play slightly. I can imagine a few people have blown their whole bankroll after a session too after they've had a few - that can't be nice to wake up to!
    Posted by ItzJosh
    This will definitely change once you start uni haha.

I will keep a look out for your diary then, best of luck.
  • edited August 2013
    Gotta love the Athletics World Championships............10 METRES TO GO SHE WASN'T THERE, 5 METRES TO GO SHE WASN'T THERE, 3 METRES TO GO SHE WASN'T THERE........go on Christine!!! Amazing finish!!

More Golds to come I'm sure.
  • edited August 2013
    Gotta love the Athletics World Championships............10 METRES TO GO SHE WASN'T THERE, 5 METRES TO GO SHE WASN'T THERE, 3 METRES TO GO SHE WASN'T THERE........go on Christine!!! Amazing finish!! More Golds to come I'm sure.
    Posted by waller02
    So in poker speak, she was behind pre, flop, and turn but binked it by the river?
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : So in poker speak, she was behind pre, flop, and turn but binked it by the river?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    It was the equivalent of hitting a one outer, she won by 4/1000ths of a second.
  • edited August 2013
    Well it is safe to say that I won't be troubling the DTD leaderboard tonight. Didn't play well as well as running quite bad too. Queens constantly let me down, always overcards on the flop and often in a multiway pot.

Made a big error in DTD 1. I had 88 in a 3 bet pot, prob should have folded pre but ended up shoving 30bb on the 9 high flop because the oppos c bet was almost pot sized. It looked like a bet that didn't want a call so I shoved over the top thinking he had AK.........wrong, he had JJ.

Had a deep run in DTD 2 finishing 8 off the money. I shoved my 13bb pre in the CO with KJ after there had been a limper, button re shoves......ooops, he had KK, game over!!

Never got going in DTD 3, really didn't play well tbh. Just one of those nights!!!

BR = £163.58
  • edited August 2013

Haven't played much during the past couple of days. Last night I had one sat attempt for the main then called it a night.

Tonight I have just played the 2 biggies. The 35p £25 BH and the 55p £50 Velocity......bigtime poker haha. I did cash in both though and even managed to win the velocity.

35p BH
    waller0205£0.95 + £0.71 Head Prizes4 
    A reasonable roi I guess.

50p Velocity
    waller021380001£18.50
    A nice return for a 50p buy in.

Not playing anymore tonight as I'm about to watch England destroy Scotland 3-0.

BR =£180.44

• edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
    In yer dreams pal.

"Super Frank" will sort your lot out :)
  • edited August 2013
    2-1 Scotland
    Posted by LARSON7
    Was a good game mate. Football was the winner tonight.......oh and England!
  • edited August 2013
    Sigh....horrid start to the evening. Thought I would play a £3.60 direct sat for the BH tonight. Bubbled it in a bad way.
    potsize280001£12k Sky Sports BH
    MRBURNS402£13.20
    waller0203
    Here is the hand......wounded. Run like burns :)
    MRBURNS4 Small blind  600.00 600.00 8280.00
    potsize Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 7610.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

waller02 All-in  10310.00 12110.00 0.00
    MRBURNS4 All-in  8280.00 20390.00 0.00
    potsize Fold     
    waller02 Unmatched bet  1430.00 18960.00 1430.00
    MRBURNS4 Show
    • Q
    • K

waller02 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• K
    • A

Turn

River

MRBURNS4 Win Pair of Kings 18960.00  18960.00
    Will have a go at a £1.60 sat now then give up if I don't make it :(
  • edited August 2013
    Every cloud has a silver lining......I have won £15 on the Golden Tickets. Ty sky :)
  • edited August 2013
    how do they update you on the golden tickets?
  • edited August 2013
    how do they update you on the golden tickets?
    Posted by Batkin88
    good shout! don't keep us in suspense waller! how much are me and Kalie gettin:D
  • edited August 2013
    I just noticed I had 15 quid extra in my account so I did a quick history search and it said Golden Tickets £15.

I imagine the full results list will be posted shortly.
  • edited August 2013
    lol no joy for me then, i guess
  • edited August 2013
    i`m same just noticed I have extra £10 quid not complaining would have been nice to see extra £500 in my account instead lol.
  • edited August 2013
    Whoop extya £20 for me!
  • edited August 2013
    Nice one liamboi and kalie....free money is always nice. I only played one forum cash game and 30 mins of 10nl so surprised to have had 2 winning tickets :)

I also got through the sat into the BH semi......I really wanna play the main!!

waller028882.504Entry to £12k Sky BH Semi