You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!)

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!):
    Good read and glad to see you have turned things around. It seems you have finally found a winning fomula. What I would say as abit of advice after reading this blog will help playing at the SPT. There seems to be a few spots that you have highlighted that live you will have more time to think about, so you will have more time to analyse the hand and get away from it if needed. Its never a good idea to risk your tourny life on a marginal hand in a flip. I have played you a few times in sats recently and your play seems pretty solid. Just know when to take a break and finish for the night. I have many times played too long and lost money I shouldn't have. I wish you all the best for the SPT and look forward to reading more of your diary. Watto84 - Glenn
    Posted by watto84
    Cheers for your post and advice. Yeah I certainly won't be rushing with any tough decisions. Not sure how will get on playing live though as my missus can always tell when I'm lying (although I guess she has known me for 12 yrs).

Yeah your name does ring a bell. I'm sure I saw that you cashed in one of the mains?? If so wd, if not my apologies!!!
  • edited August 2013
    Nights poker is over.

Never got going in the Premiership game and busted in the mid stages 77<A9. Same in the mini BH never built a stack which is crucial when playing a turbo.

In the deepy I had a great start and was sitting 3/30 with 9 cashing. As the blinds increased I lost 2 crucial hands that I feel I could have played better. They were both against short stacks and each time I missed the flop but committed myself with my c-bet. This left me with 15bb which I managed to recover slightly before busting out 2 short of the money after open shoving Q9 on the button into A10 in the small blind........apart from the 2 hands that I mentioned I'm reasonably happy with how I played.

The SPT dream could be over before it has began. The person who was giving me the seat has now been informed by Sky that the seat is non transferable.........IDCU has already sold a seat to Larson so not sure why they have said this. I have just got to wait as it is being chased up again tomorrow. The way I see it is, the bloke can't play, I am giving half of any winnings to charity, plus DaveyZZ has come out and said that he will donate 25% of his winnings if we both cash.............not sure what the problem is tbh.

Will be having a few nights off now and will probably be back on the tables on Saturday as I am busy until then. Gl at the tables all.

BR = £324.20
  • edited August 2013
    I am playing tonight because I forgot it was the Premiership game.

I have had a couple of sats for tonights 12k BH and got my seat by outplaying the field (in an all in sat!)

waller02120001Entry to £12k Sky Sports BH
    Also playing the mini, the 7.15 deepy.

If I'm unsuccessful tonight then I will knock the minis on the head for a while as my roll is still struggling to recover from slightly abusing the UKOPS sats. Still have not got a clue what's happening regarding the SPT which is getting frustrating as I need to know in order to book a room and get time off work.......dunno if the whole thing is a wind up now!!

Full update later.
  • edited August 2013
    I am playing tonight because I forgot it was the Premiership game. I have had a couple of sats for tonights 12k BH and got my seat by outplaying the field (in an all in sat!) waller02 12000 1 Entry to £12k Sky Sports BH Also playing the mini, the 7.15 deepy. If I'm unsuccessful tonight then I will knock the minis on the head for a while as my roll is still struggling to recover from slightly abusing the UKOPS sats. Still have not got a clue what's happening regarding the SPT which is getting frustrating as I need to know in order to book a room and get time off work.......dunno if the whole thing is a wind up now!! Full update later.
    Posted by waller02

Hey Waller,

No idea if it is or not, hopefully he is genuine.

Was just weird he posted his original post 2 weeks ago, then there was not a word for 2 weeks when the new thread appeared again stating "i need to give away my spt seat".

But like i said, hopefully he is genuine, and it comes through ok.

All he needs to do is contact customer care and tell them to transfer the seat into your name.

Good luck tonight
  • edited August 2013
    Making bad folds AND bad calls is never great but it pretty much sums up tonight!! Have certainly played better!

2 hands from tonight....

1. I didn't 4bet pre because I'm not loving life if I'm 5bet and don't wanna get it in pre this early. Can I 4 bet/fold or is this BAD?? Oppo can 3 bet light but in all honesty I have only really played him in forum cash games so not 100% sure of his "serious" 3 bet range. As played what am I doing on the flop. I have harry's permission to leave his name in.
    hhyftrftdr Small blind  15.00 15.00 2062.50
    Tsaaaar Big blind  30.00 45.00 1865.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

Hoff92 Fold     
    GLASSBOY Fold     
    unbpower Fold     
    waller02 Raise  90.00 135.00 1895.00
    hhyftrftdr Raise  195.00 330.00 1867.50
    Tsaaaar Fold     
    waller02 Call  120.00 450.00 1775.00
    Flop

hhyftrftdr Bet  280.00 730.00 1587.50
    waller02 ??
    2. How is my play here? No notes or history with oppo.
    harper1983 Small blind  50.00 50.00 3595.00
    plater Big blind  100.00 150.00 2525.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

waller02 Raise  250.00 400.00 5360.00
    femboss69 Fold     
    hhyftrftdr Fold     
    BigManch Fold     
    harper1983 Call  200.00 600.00 3395.00
    plater Fold     
    Flop

• Q

harper1983 Check     
    waller02 Bet  350.00 950.00 5010.00
    harper1983 Call  350.00 1300.00 3045.00
    Turn

• A

harper1983 Check     
    waller02 Bet  750.00 2050.00 4260.00
    harper1983 Call  750.00 2800.00 2295.00
    River

harper1983 All-in  2295.00 5095.00 0.00
    waller02 Fold     
    harper1983 Muck     
    harper1983 Win  2800.00  2800.00
    harper1983 Return  2295.00 0.00 5095.00
    Anyway, not the greatest of nights. Must try harder!! Going to stop with the £5 buy ins until things improve!!!

BR = £309.70
  • edited August 2013

Hand 1 posted in the clinic;

Hand 2 just fold pre from UTG, you have just done 1000 plus chips in a hand you shouldn't really be involved with in my opinion. If you were on the button then would have been fair enough.

On the river, easy fold.

• edited August 2013
    Hand 1 posted in the clinic; Hand 2 just fold pre from UTG, you have just done 1000 plus chips in a hand you shouldn't really be involved with in my opinion. If you were on the button then would have been fair enough. On the river, easy fold.
    Posted by LARSON7
    I'm happy to raise pre, the table had been quite soft (harry had only just sat down) and generally had been easy to push off hands with the 1 cbet. As played perhaps I should be checking the turn now that have some showdown value???
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : I'm happy to raise pre, the table had been quite soft (harry had only just sat down) and generally had been easy to push off hands with the 1 cbet. As played perhaps I should be checking the turn now that have some showdown value???
    Posted by waller02
    We've hut our gin card, we need to bet the turn. Otherwise we are betting a bluff and checking when we think we have the best hand.

If oppo checks on the river, i probably check behind or put in a small value bet. Others might reckon you need to put in a decent size value bet.

I think it's a mistake playing this hand UTG, its a junk hand. Even when hitting our ace we have no idea where we are. In MTT's i'm always going to try and preserve chips as much as possible, all the way through, and avoid marginal hands, especially out of position. 
  • edited August 2013
    I didn't play great tonight! lol I did have the best hand in hand 2, I felt I might have best hand at the time and it was a BH with me having him covered.......should have gone with my gut but the way things had been going for me in other games had been affecting my general play! Certainly don't think it's a snap fold. Oppo had a pair of 9's (he did tell me his hand first and said shoving was the only way he could win the pot.......I believed him).
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : We've hut our gin card, we need to bet the turn. Otherwise we are betting a bluff and checking when we think we have the best hand. If oppo checks on the river, i probably check behind or put in a small value bet. Others might reckon you need to put in a decent size value bet. I think it's a mistake playing this hand UTG, its a junk hand. Even when hitting our ace we have no idea where we are. In MTT's i'm always going to try and preserve chips as much as possible, all the way through, and avoid marginal hands, especially out of position. 
    Posted by LARSON7
    disagree here. If I check the turn the pot stays at 1300 and the oppo is not as likely to shove on the river, then any bet that is pot sized or less is easier to call. IMO

I know I did bet the turn but I posted these hands both for others opinions and to see how I could have played them differently.

How's it going with you anyway mate.......still crushing??
  • edited August 2013
    I think checking back that A is absolutely fine. Not only does it give the impression we're weak, and thus can get value from weaker hands/ induce a bluff on the river, it also keeps the pot modest should we be behind to a random 2 pair or set, maybe even a slightly bigger Ace.

I also think it's fine to raise it pre UTG. Usually I'd fold, but if like you say the table has been passive and you've been stealing loads of pots then go for it. Key element of MTT's is adjusting to the table dynamic Larson, gotta be able to mix it up to go deep.
  • edited August 2013

I think checking back that A is absolutely fine. Not only does it give the impression we're weak, and thus can get value from weaker hands/ induce a bluff on the river, it also keeps the pot modest should we be behind to a random 2 pair or set, maybe even a slightly bigger Ace. I also think it's fine to raise it pre UTG. Usually I'd fold, but if like you say the table has been passive and you've been stealing loads of pots then go for it. Key element of MTT's is adjusting to the table dynamic Larson, gotta be able to mix it up to go deep.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    So you want to bluff when we don't have a hand, and then check when we do?

The key element of a MTT is mantaining chips for when we double up. This hand here, i cant remember the exact stacks, if we have 5k, and this hand has cost us 1 k we're down to 4k. The next hand we double up off a large stack so were now at 8k, that extra 1k would have us at 10k. Take that leak of chips over a few hands and has a significant impact on our run on a tournie.

Playing a marginal hand UTG is never going to be profitable, if we get 2 calls ahead of us, we are playing a junk hand out of position. If that's the table dynamic you want to exploit it in late position.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : So you want to bluff when we don't have a hand, and then check when we do? The key element of a MTT is mantaining chips for when we double up. This hand here, i cant remember the exact stacks, if we have 5k, and this hand has cost us 1 k we're down to 4k. The next hand we double up off a large stack so were now at 8k, that extra 1k would have us at 10k. Take that leak of chips over a few hands and has a significant impact on our run on a tournie. Playing a marginal hand UTG is never going to be profitable, if we get 2 calls ahead of us, we are playing a junk hand out of position. If that's the table dynamic you want to exploit it in late position.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Waller bets that ace on the turn, then gets jammed on. What do you do? 
  • edited August 2013
    Fold, i'd also fold pre.

All the above is just in my opinion of course!
  • edited August 2013
    Fold, i'd also fold pre. All the above is just in my opinion of course!
    Posted by LARSON7
    I think it would be a fold. And we might well be folding the best hand.

If we check back that A, it disguises the strength of our hand. It looks like we've had a stab at the pot and given up on the turn. This can induce a bluff from villain on the river. It could also lead villain to putting in a 'value' bet with a decent Q, or c/c a bet on the river from us with an inferior hand. There is also the smallish chance we are actually behind, so checking the flop and calling a villain lead on river limits our liability should we be beat.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : So you want to bluff when we don't have a hand, and then check when we do? The key element of a MTT is mantaining chips for when we double up. This hand here, i cant remember the exact stacks, if we have 5k, and this hand has cost us 1 k we're down to 4k. The next hand we double up off a large stack so were now at 8k, that extra 1k would have us at 10k. Take that leak of chips over a few hands and has a significant impact on our run on a tournie. Playing a marginal hand UTG is never going to be profitable, if we get 2 calls ahead of us, we are playing a junk hand out of position. If that's the table dynamic you want to exploit it in late position.
    Posted by LARSON7
    I also disagree with this somewhat.
  • edited August 2013
    lol please do disagree with me somewhat, but atleast elaborate on why!
  • edited August 2013
    The key element of a MTT is mantaining chips for when we double up.

This would be true were we playing a sub 20bb stack towards the business end of the tournament. This is when chip preservation is essential, when we have to play perfect poker, when every chip is precious for us, when fold equity (or lack of it) can make or break us. This is a time when it would be an instamuck UTG with A6s.

In the example I think Waller is playing 50bb give or take, and is on a passive table. This is a great opportunity to chip up whilst we have a 'soft' table and a decent stack. If we get caught out then it doesn't suddenly crip-ple us. With 50bb, which I imagine is around average or slightly better at 50/100, we aren't looking for a double up. We should be looking to maintain our stack vs the blinds increasing and the average stack slowly growing. Picking up lots of small pots on a passive table allows us to do this relatively simply and risk free. If during a tournament, we always hover around an average stack or higher, we avoid the shove or fold poker until the very late stages when most players are shallow. 

Sorry to hijack your thread Waller! 
  • edited August 2013
    hand 2 i check turn for pot control nad they ya hand is under repped  with the big size bet barreled on the turn think u have to call on the river getting 2/1 on a call think u have to call 

but i like a check on the turn disguises ya hand alot and rather win a small pot then lose a big 1 
  • edited August 2013
    HHYFTRFTDR NEVER HAS IT. 

Shove it in hand 1!  He probably has 99
  • edited August 2013

I'm glad hand 2 resulted in some debate. I still stand by my raise pre given the way the table had been playing. I think my mistake was on the turn, I def should have checked........(sorry Larson, best option imo).

Hand 1..........there have been some comments in the clinic. The overall opinion was that calling the 3 bet was the best option. My mistake here was on the flop, I should have just called. I raised and ended up with the chips in the middle......harry had 10 5. He said at the time that I should have 4 bet and he would have snap folded but that is just being results orientated slightly. I have only played harry in forum cash games and they are pretty crazy so in general I wasn't sure of his 3 bet range (I know now though)!!

STILL no news regarding the SPT............looking like I aint going!!! :(

• edited September 2013
    Firstly, as posted on another thread, I am going to the SPT in Newcastle. Can't wait!!! It's the first time I have ever played live so not expecting to do that well but it should be a great experience whatever happens.

Friday night I won the £400 Megastack. This really is one of the best mtts on the site and sky should take note of Dale's thread and add a couple more to the schedule!!

waller0212700001£177.48
    Didn't play last night. Not sure what I will be playing tonight, prob a sat for the primo.

BR = £480.34
  • edited September 2013
    Firstly, as posted on another thread, I am going to the SPT in Newcastle. Can't wait!!! It's the first time I have ever played live so not expecting to do that well but it should be a great experience whatever happens. Last night I won the £400 Megastack. This really is one of the best mtts on the site and sky should take not of Dale's thread and add a couple more to the schedule!! waller02 1270000 1 £177.48 Not sure what I will be playing tonight, prob a sat for the primo. BR = £480.34
    Posted by waller02
    That was Friday wasn't it?? Anyhow, well done closing it out - I made a big mistake going after your chips in a couple of spots when we were 4 handed with 8 left. Agreed, good tournament with good structure and is obviously popular.
  • edited September 2013
    I really hope you enjoy Newcastle mate.
    Go there to meet some people and simply enjoy yourself.
    You will be nervous but don't worry, others will be too.
    One bit of advice. Just announce your intention and then do it. Things are a bit different live and things like meaning to raise but only putting in one chip (eg someone calls 100 and you mean to raise to 500 and put in the 500 chip) would be deemed a call.
    Anything you're not sure about, ask. The dealers and the other players will happily help. Don't be embarrassed.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!) : That was Friday wasn't it?? Anyhow, well done closing it out - I made a big mistake going after your chips in a couple of spots when we were 4 handed with 8 left. Agreed, good tournament with good structure and is obviously popular.
    Posted by bbMike
    Yeah was Friday.....lost track of the day!!!
  • edited September 2013
    I really hope you enjoy Newcastle mate. Go there to meet some people and simply enjoy yourself. You will be nervous but don't worry, others will be too. One bit of advice. Just announce your intention and then do it. Things are a bit different live and things like meaning to raise but only putting in one chip (eg someone calls 100 and you mean to raise to 500 and put in the 500 chip) would be deemed a call. Anything you're not sure about, ask. The dealers and the other players will happily help. Don't be embarrassed.
    Posted by Jac35
    Cheers for the advice Jac. I will be asking questions if I'm unsure as well as watching what everybody else does!!! lol
  • edited September 2013
    Excellent progress, well played.
  • edited September 2013
    BR = £480.34
    Posted by waller02
    Looks like I will have to go to China more often if this is what happens when I am away!
  • edited September 2013
    Nicely done Waller! Wasn't it only a few weeks ago that your were down to £15 or so? Cracking turnaround. More than enough in your roll to splash about with 10 5s now ;)
  • edited September 2013
    My SPT is a non starter. Proper pi55ed off!!!!! Spoke to my boss today and I have been told that it is too late for me to book any time off work.....to cut a long story short I have to be at work at 8am on Saturday and if I don't like it then I can quit!

I have gone to all that trouble to sort the seat out and book my room for nothing. Gutted.

FLASHJONNY check your pm's........can't think of another alternative :(. Sorry to bridboy as well.