You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary)

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Nice1!

Imagine when you FT the SPT, the monies.

Good luck! Do you live nearby ?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary):
    Nice1! Imagine when you FT the SPT, the monies. Good luck! Do you live nearby ?
    Posted by LARSON7
    I think youre jumping ahead a bit!

I've not even qualified/entered yet.... let alone final tabled!

It would be nice though.  Need to russel up some money.  Don't really want to commit a large chunk of my BR for one MTT.  Think ive definitely got to look at staking if I cant sat in.  Thats if I can find 4/5 people who actually want to.

I live near Oxford so Nottingham is probably about an hour and a half away... something like that anyway.  Not too much distance but its still petrol and hotel money...  Man it all really does add up - just for one live tournament.  I need to fall on the motherload if im going to be able to go.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary) : I think youre jumping ahead a bit! I've not even qualified/entered yet.... let alone final tabled! It would be nice though.  Need to russel up some money.  Don't really want to commit a large chunk of my BR for one MTT.  Think ive definitely got to look at staking if I cant sat in.  Thats if I can find 4/5 people who actually want to. I live near Oxford so Nottingham is probably about an hour and a half away... something like that anyway.  Not too much distance but its still petrol and hotel money...  Man it all really does add up - just for one live tournament.  I need to fall on the motherload if im going to be able to go.
    Posted by gazza127
    I'm sure there will be plenty of interested parties!

Good luck
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah let us know if you need a backer Gaz.
  • edited October 2013
    Ran deep in the main but just missed out on cash.

I think i lost every single flip in the world.  I was up in the top 10... then get dealt AKs... guy open min raises.  Guy on button flats.  Im in the big blind and notch it up a few more bbs.  initial raiser folds and button decides to shove for 20bb.  I insta call and he flips over 22 and holds.

I mean im never folding... does he really think hes in good enough shape to shove.... when pretty much any two cards hes against hes not in great condition especially if i have an overpair.

Lost a flip 44 v KJ.  He played it like the nuts but i got it in good and was outdrawn.

Other tournament beats include JJ<AJ,  KK<AK,  1010<98 (all all-in pre), 77(set)<10J(rivered straight).  KK<A3.

And the worrying thing is I actually think thats only about half of them.  Ran bad... then played bad in some other tournaments i decided to enter.  Pfft.  What a rubbish day.  Need to go and watch family guy before I sit on NL500 or do something else really stupid.
  • edited October 2013
    Lets have a graph shall we?  Graphs are always pleasant to look at (unless they are going in the wrong direction)

Here is my graph since I started my diary... and my stats to go alongside.

Add that alongside a min cash at SPT Notts and it doesnt look too bad.

As you can see, its been messy - i mean just look at that horrid downswing I had 750 games in... but im getting there this past few weeks (not tonight but lets forget about it).

Not really any point in this post tbh.  I just wanted a graph on my diary.... everyone else seems to have one. :)
  • edited October 2013
    Well that was an interesting hour or two on cash!

No seats available on 50nl.... so i went on 100nl.  Sigh.  Should have played 20nl.

I decided to join one of the many 100nl HU games.  I saw someone on there who I thought I had an edge over.

We played something like 5 hands.  On the 5th hand we get it all in on the turn after I turn a set.  Turns out he turned the straight and I lost.  He then left - sigh.

So I stood up and saw him on another table.... so naturally I sat down again.  He played one hand - nicked my BB... then left.  Mega sigh.  I stood, but still had the table open - 2 seconds later he sits again.... so I sit.  Same thing happens.  I stand.... he then sits down.  Rinse and repeat.  The one hand he did play in this game of cat and mouse, he again turned a straight and got near enough £60 from me.... then he left again.  Urgh.  He then refused to play me at all.  Irritated.  Why sit down and refuse to play?  So that was like 10 hands total and I was -£160.

Still no seats available on 50nl.  I sit on a 100nl 6max game.  3rd hand I pick up Q10s on the button.  So its raised UTG... call call, then a smallish raise from a guy who just loves a 3 bet.  I decide to call in pos.  Other players make up.  Flop comes...flopped the flush - woop woop.  UTG checks.  Middle position checks... 3 bettor checks.  I stick in a bet.  UTG shoves.  Then initial raiser thinks about it and goes all in too.  I call.  UTG turns over middle set.  initial reraiser turns over K7s for a higher flush... -£260 for the session. SIGH.

I continue to play however... and after an hour of play (now on two tables), having made the most of a 2 pair hand and bottom set, whilst also running a rather risky bluff or two against players who loved a draw,  I managed to claw it all back.  +£10 for the session.

Thats enough for me today on cash!
  • edited October 2013
    If the £'s you are winning or losing start to affect you emotionally then your playing too high

good luck though, when I open this thread idk if your gonna lose or win a load :)

fun thread

would be intrested ion % if your selling for SPT
  • edited October 2013
    If the £'s you are winning or losing start to affect you emotionally then your playing too high good luck though, when I open this thread idk if your gonna lose or win a load :) fun thread
    Posted by rancid
    They didnt really affect me emotionally the loses - yeah they sucked big time, but i was more irritated with the HU guy who basically cut... and well didnt run, just sat there.

I could have gotten away from the second we played - paid him off way too easy, but as long as im doing the right things overall I'm not going to be toooo unhappy.

Perhaps I should have folded the Q10s hand pre too, but I knew 3 bettor was usually light.  Sigh when he turns over the better flush though.  I was fist pumping when I saw the flop.

Bit swingy yes.... but I have an aggressive BRM which overall has worked long term.  I know those who stick to a rigid BR probably look at my thread and sigh, but as said before I don't depend on poker to provide any kind of income so Im happy to take the odd shot once in a while at the higher stakes.... although I much prefer playing 50nl.  I very rarely pop on 100nl as im doing OK on 50nl at the minute.

Glad you enjoy the thread.  Definitely the swingiest (thats definitely not a word) diary on the forum - for better or worse.

• edited October 2013
    Had no idea you lived in/near Oxford Gazza, I live close to Oxford myself. You've probably heard of it, I live very close to Chipping Norton.

Anyways, I'm sure there will be loads of people up for staking. Reckon you could easy got 4 people to each take 10% and that's £132... then you just need to stump up the £198 and you basically just got that in C4P :)

I might take 10% myself, let me know if you decide to sell.
  • edited October 2013
    If the £'s you are winning or losing start to affect you emotionally then your playing too high good luck though, when I open this thread idk if your gonna lose or win a load :) fun thread would be intrested ion % if your selling for SPT
    Posted by rancid

Just seen this.

How does backing usually work?  I know there are many types of backing people can do, but whats the norm would you say?

Very kind of you to offer.  I will definitely be interested in taking that offer should I decide to go.
  • edited October 2013
    Had no idea you lived in/near Oxford Gazza, I live close to Oxford myself. You've probably heard of it, I live very close to Chipping Norton. Anyways, I'm sure there will be loads of people up for staking. Reckon you could easy got 4 people to each take 10% and that's £132... then you just need to stump up the £198 and you basically just got that in C4P :) I might take 10% myself, let me know if you decide to sell.
    Posted by Lambert180

Oh Chipping Norton is less than an hour away from me.  Thats funny.  How come you've just realised now where I live?  You haven't been stalking me have you?

Nice to know theres a few offers that might be on the table for SPT!  Will definitely consider them.   Same question asked of Rancid.  Is it just back someone at a particular %, then anything back is split up accordingly?  I know theres staking such as stake back and mark ups on price etc etc and i don't know what the norm is...
  • edited October 2013
    Looool cos you mentioned about 4 posts up that you live near Oxford!

Ya average staking is very basic. It's not a long term deal, it's not like there's make up or anything. You're generally not gonna charge a mark up so you're gonna be selling at 1:1.... i.e. I pay 10% of the BI for you (£33) and I get 10% of whatever you cash for, that's it.
  • edited October 2013
    Looool cos you mentioned about 4 posts up that you live near Oxford! Ya average staking is very basic. It's not a long term deal, it's not like there's make up or anything. You're generally not gonna charge a mark up so you're gonna be selling at 1:1.... i.e. I pay 10% of the BI for you (£33) and I get 10% of whatever you cash for, that's it.
    Posted by Lambert180

Ahhh.... I did do that.  Lol.

Seems incredibly simple then.... no hard feelings if I brick?  Haha.
  • edited October 2013
    Lol nah no hard feelings. It's like any MTT innit, you go in it cos you think you have an edge but you know that most of the time you're gonna brick it. If you have sense you only buy action in people that you think have an edge over the field/is a decent player and you obv will do/are.

You're buying action, knowing a lot of the time you won't get anything back just like when you BI to an MTT but one time they go and win it and my 10% (£33) will be 10% of the like £15k 1st prize so I'll have made £1467 profit :)
  • edited October 2013
    Lol nah no hard feelings. It's like any MTT innit, you go in it cos you think you have an edge but you know that most of the time you're gonna brick it. If you have sense you only buy action in people that you think have an edge over the field/is a decent player and you obv will do/are. You're buying action, knowing a lot of the time you won't get anything back just like when you BI to an MTT but one time they go and win it and my 10% (£33) will be 10% of the like £15k 1st prize so I'll have made £1467 profit :)
    Posted by Lambert180

High hopes eh?

Cheers for the clarity.  I'll let you and others know if I do decide to go down this route closer to the time.  Seems to make a whole bunch of sense if I cant sat in.
  • edited October 2013
    Had a horrible horrible night on cash last night.

Was playing 50nl and just got myself into a number of silly spots where essentially I was guessing the strength of the opponents hands and pure gambling.... I played terribly and ergo lost a bit of money.  Ended the session last night losing a £120 pot HU 1010 v QQ.  I just decided to stack off on an 8 high board in an already big pot pre.  Worse thing was is that he checked the river and I just decided to ship the rest in - what the hell was I thinking?  Im only getting called by better!

Worse thing was is that noted villain had been giving me mouth on the tables.  We have a bit of history as hes a reg on 50nl... and hes the type to celebrate a hand after winning a pot in the chat.  I saw him slowroll the absolute nuts the other day against another player who shoved the river.... when I queried him on why he said 'HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED'.  Not a nice guy.... and when im playing with not nice people i'm very rarely nice to them.  I should really ignore guys like this but when I see 'FISHY FiSH FISH' in the chat box directed at another player I can't help but perk up.

Anyway, ignoring that I decided to play a bit today and again jumped on a 100nl table for a change of pace.  I was on one table which got thinned to only 3 players which made for a lot of interesting plays.  Both players were very aggressive pre, lots of 3 betting and a bit of 4 betting and I had to adjust accordingly.  I hit a very nice hand only 20 mins in and get the absolute maximum value.  Why am I calling the reraise pre I hear you ask?  Well im in position for one.  Villain had been aggressively 3 betting OOP since the table dropped to 3 and depending on the board texture I know I can take the pot away from him in pos...  Im not going to get attached to a single pair, however when the flop came I was loving life.
    XX Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £120.40
    jimmynoleg Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £111.24
      Your hole cards
    • A

gazza127 Raise   £3.00 £4.50 £169.40
    XX Raise   £10.50 £15.00 £109.90
    jimmynoleg Fold        
    gazza127 Call   £8.00 £23.00 £161.40
    Flop

• A

XX Bet   £17.00 £40.00 £92.90
    gazza127 Call   £17.00 £57.00 £144.40
    Turn

XX Bet   £42.75 £99.75 £50.15
    gazza127 Call   £42.75 £142.50 £101.65
    River

XX All-in   £50.15 £192.65 £0.00
    gazza127 Call   £50.15 £242.80 £51.50
    XX Show
    • A
    • K

gazza127 Show
    • A

gazza127 Win Full House, 8s and Aces £241.00   £292.50
    So yeah quite lucky to get into this situation but im confident enough in my play in position that I can get away from hands/bluff off bigger hands depending on the board.

Got my loses back from last night so all is good.
  • edited October 2013
    Just bubbled main.

Fantastic.

There were like 20 people behind me on stacks but I had 13bb and saw 77... jammed into AJ.  Four card flush.  NH GG.

Starting to think that cause it was seriously unlikely i could get back into it, i should have tightened and seen min cash.

Guess its just not the way I play.
  • edited October 2013
    Ul, nah I still go for it, you can definitely get back into it, win that flip and with the BB and SB included you're not far off 30xBB, that's tons.
  • edited October 2013
    Min cash is only like £43 quid tonight, so still probably better going for it. £43 will only last 4 mins on 50nl with you ;)

Oh, I'm still in by the way ;)
  • edited October 2013
    Aaaand I'm out the mini too 9 before cash.  rivered trip kings on a AKKxx board.

Guy slowplayed aces.

So down on mtts tonight.  Mega sigh.

The hand before i got knocked out... two players were playing an aggressive flop.

The flop was all low diamonds.  Initial raiser bets.  A guy reraises.... the initial raiser 4 bets and the other guy shoves.

Its something like 7k to call into a 50k pot and he folds.

I asked him surely he has to call the remaining 7k with whatever he has- he was big stack and could afford to pay it off.

He said naaa... i was probably behind.... and then calls me an idiot.  Nice guy.

Sigh.
  • edited October 2013
    Just bubbled main. Fantastic. There were like 20 people behind me on stacks but I had 13bb and saw 77... jammed into AJ.  Four card flush.  NH GG. Starting to think that cause it was seriously unlikely i could get back into it, i should have tightened and seen min cash. Guess its just not the way I play.
    Posted by gazza127
    & quite right not to - with your track record you now want to freeze on the bubble just to min-cash - I think not. You got it in good.
  • edited October 2013
    What the hell??

Was in the middle of playing some cash a few tables then out of nowhere the tables close and dissapear off the lobby.  No 50nl.  No 100nl.  Just two 20nl games and some 4nl.

Just randomly... a full table too.  Surely they arent supposed to do this?

Just as well as it happens.  I was running like utter poo.

Example hand no 1 of a possible 4/5 I could post:
    salmonish Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £114.88
    gazza127 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £121.11
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

nwolcmub Fold        
    X Raise   £2.00 £2.75 £54.51
    MOOCH Fold        
    salmonish Fold        
    gazza127 Call   £1.50 £4.25 £119.61
    Flop

• J
    • Q

gazza127 Check        
    X Bet   £3.19 £7.44 £51.32
    gazza127 Raise   £8.00 £15.44 £111.61
    X All-in   £51.32 £66.76 £0.00
    gazza127 Call   £46.51 £113.27 £65.10
    gazza127 Show
    • J
    • Q

X Show

Turn

River

X Win Three 4s £111.47   £111.47

Villain is less than good.  I saw him reraise on a AKx board with AJ for value and stack off as easy as day.  So dont blame me for wanting to get in a pot with him and dancing around the room when he shoved the flop.

Pfft.  Cash eh?
  • edited October 2013
    At least you can smile about it.

But yeah, it sucks when the one time you call what you are fairly sure is a reckless all-in, they actually have the goods.
  • edited October 2013
    I give up on cash.

I really do.  Its more swingy than MTTs for me and im hating it at the minute.
    gazza127 Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £99.81
    Rightolrac Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £125.02
    UEA_pro Sit out     
      Your hole cards
    • Q

kcxyz Fold     
    launder Fold     
    XX Raise  £3.00 £4.50 £99.70
    gazza127 Raise  £10.00 £14.50 £89.81
    Rightolrac Fold     
    Slim1805 Call  £7.50 £22.00 £92.20
    Flop

• Q

gazza127 Bet  £13.00 £35.00 £76.81
    XX Call  £13.00 £48.00 £79.20
    Turn

gazza127 Bet  £36.00 £84.00 £40.81
    XX Call  £36.00 £120.00 £43.20
    River

gazza127 All-in  £40.81 £160.81 £0.00
    XX Call  £40.81 £201.62 £2.39
    gazza127 Show
    • Q

XX Show
    • J

XX Win Straight to the Queen £199.82  £202.21
  • edited October 2013
    Slim is playing 100NL now? Just seen him on the tables now.... argh, the temptation to sit down and join is so strong but I'm not going to be tempted!
  • edited October 2013
    JQo in bb = fold
    Q9 board is soaking but prefer betting smaller. No worse made hands are ever calling you with that sizing, your effectively bluffing vs most players.. Small gives them a chance to bluff + your still going to be able to get stacks in on good rivers. Obv here it might of been ok vs this player
  • edited October 2013
    JQo in bb = fold Q9 board is soaking but prefer betting smaller. No worse made hands are ever calling you with that sizing, your effectively bluffing vs most players.. Small gives them a chance to bluff + your still going to be able to get stacks in on good rivers. Obv here it might of been ok vs this player
    Posted by RyanC7
    I should have probably removed the name... but damage is done.

Any other player I just fold this in the blinds but I had position on the loosest player on the table (admitidly not in this hand) but i knew if I flopped anything I could just go to value town.  They just dont fold any pair.... like ever.  So although the river completed 2 draws I was confident enough that villain could still call with a whole bunch worse than my 2 pair.

Both hands are played only in the manor they are cause of the villains in question.

If I do do this against another player I bet smaller on the turn, or even check/call.
  • edited October 2013
    Well this double guarentees week has been utter rubbish.
    spear80 Small blind   20.00 20.00 1525.00
    robyoung Big blind   40.00 60.00 1695.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

cfcno1 Call   40.00 100.00 1985.00
    GIVEITSOME Fold        
    SHIRLEY457 Fold        
    gazza127 Raise   120.00 220.00 760.00
    spear80 Call   100.00 320.00 1425.00
    robyoung Fold        
    cfcno1 Call   80.00 400.00 1905.00
    Flop

• J

spear80 Check        
    cfcno1 Bet   120.00 520.00 1785.00
    gazza127 Call   120.00 640.00 640.00
    spear80 Fold        
    Turn

cfcno1 All-in   1785.00 2425.00 0.00
    gazza127 All-in   640.00 3065.00 0.00
    cfcno1 Unmatched bet   1145.00 1920.00 1145.00
    cfcno1 Show
    • J

gazza127 Show
    • A

River

• J

cfcno1 Win Full House, Jacks and 5s 1920.00   3065.00

Out already
  • edited October 2013
    Out of mini too.

Got mega aggro when i flopped two pair.  Villain flopped flush.

Disaster