You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ah got a feelin

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Last night in the orfie, 35-40 left, I have aces and a 20k stack, blinds are 400/800.

Get it all in preflop versus kings for a 40k pot, opponent has me covered by a few hundred.

First card out was a K, this was pot was for 2nd chip lead. Chip leader had 52k.

Seems this stuff is happening all the time in MTT's just now, I've never had such a bad run in MTT's before, no idea how to shake it off!

-----------------------------

Looking for some thoughts on these 2 hands,
    Gaby423 Small blind  200.00 200.00 6710.00
    TREMAYNE Big blind  400.00 600.00 12960.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

COFFEENCRM Fold     
    mattprawn Fold     
    mjb221 Fold     
    topbowler Call  400.00 1000.00 9557.50
    THEOCALOT Raise  1200.00 2200.00 43486.25
    TENTENTEN Fold     
    LARSON7 All in 9742
    Gaby423 Small blind  300.00 300.00 21630.00
    nicola83 Big blind  600.00 900.00 14215.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

TREMAYNE Fold     
    COFFEENCRM Fold     
    mattprawn Call  600.00 1500.00 10958.75
    mjb221 Fold     
    Danny46 Fold     
    THEOCALOT Raise  1800.00 3300.00 34376.25
    TENTENTEN Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  1800.00 5100.00 18584.74
  • edited January 2014
    This month has been really swingy.

I ended up losing over 2 bi's at 50nl last night.

1st one the hand played itself really, I had a set of 3's and opponent had  a straight flush draw from the flop. He played it really passive. Opponent has 4s6s, flop was 3s5s x. I was on the button it checked round to me, I bet quite big, opponent just called. Turn was a brick, I bet again to set it up to ship the river. Opponent just called again.

River was a 7, all flush draws had missed. Opponent checked. Only draw that came in was 46. I was thinking he could have that, tho 46 os, never putting him on a flush draw. I don't know if the river was a check behind for me. It's hard for anything worse than a set of 3s to call, I suppose. I shoved. Don't know if this is a check behind?

The rest, was just a lot of small pots from spew.

I've done a fair bit of moaning over the last 2 weeks. Must say I have ran pretty bad in MTT's, but still we all know it's just part of the game. Going forward no more moaning about bad beats, totally pointless in fairness!

I wasn't really "bankrolled" to play 50nl, so wont be doing that again in a hurry until I've built up enough of a roll to justify playing it.

I think the biggest thing is I was sitting down at 1/2 tables, and the whole thing with that is I get bored and probably play to many hands. With a bankroll of £2.5k at least you can quite comfortably 4 / 5 table. Not that I think you need that amount of bi's it's more psychological, as in if you lose it doesn't really matter. But if you lose from a smaller bankroll, then it's more of a "hit".

I've withdrawn quite a lot last month and this month, it was an expensive month, tax to be paid, and my car broke down at the start of the week, which was another £220 to get fixed.

I think for the time being i'm not going to withdraw money, and build up to about £1500-£2k of a "bankroll".

I say that, but things change all the time (in poker) so we will see!

So no more moaning, and just get on with it.
  • edited January 2014
    This was the hand here; I know it sounds bad but this might be a check behind, it's hard for anything worse to call. Thoughts?
    zinfan Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £104.33
    xBig blind  £0.50 £0.75 £77.89
      Your hole cards

F_Ivanovic Fold     
    hhamza162 Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £114.16
    LARSON7 Call  £1.50 £3.75 £38.13
    zinfan Fold     
    Call  £1.00 £4.75 £76.89
    Flop

xCheck     
    hhamza162 Check     
    LARSON7 Bet  £3.56 £8.31 £34.57
    xCall  £3.56 £11.87 £73.33
    hhamza162 Fold     
    Turn

• Q

xCheck     
    LARSON7 Bet  £8.90 £20.77 £25.67
    xCall  £8.90 £29.67 £64.43
    River

Check     
    LARSON7 All-in  £25.67 £55.34 £0.00
    jx Call  £25.67 £81.01 £38.76
    xShow

LARSON7 Show

xWin Straight to the 7
  • edited January 2014
    No way you can check behind here. Its a shove all day long.  Dont let him turning up with a hand beating yours on this one occassion sway yourthinking.
  • edited January 2014
    Poker suicide to check back here. 
  • edited January 2014
    Regarding hand above I think it's too nitty to check behind given he has just called all the way. He could have a fair few hands he is 'Bluff catching' with. Had there been more action I think we can find a just call or check but from the passive line, no, I don't think you can get away. It's just a case of he's lucky you are as strong as you are. 
  • edited January 2014

I wasn't sure last night.

I was thinking what's he calling with 2 streets, 4 6 sprang into my head. I was thinking surely can't be a set/ 2 pair, has to be a draw. Really hate how villain played the hand. He flopped the world lol

But definatly agree I had to shove the river, that was always the plan, so  stuck to the script!

After a bad day yesterday I've made just under £50 today, another 10 days like this please :)

Played another 4mtts tonight, didn't do anything in any of them apart from 3 bounties, run bad in mtts has to finish sometime!

It's been about 2/3 weeks since I've had a deep run/ Final tabled in anything. Hopefully MTT run good is coming back soon... 

• edited January 2014
    Larson, in that hand you should also be considering what range the villain might be putting you on. You bet your set on the button, all good, but this can also look like you are either taking a stab in position after 2 checks or can be semi bluffing with a draw. Obviously in this instance it's flopped set vs flopped monster draw and the money was always going in at some point, but another time the villain can quite easily pay you off potentially quite lightly on the river if they put you on any number of missed draws. This is why I think it is always a shove for maximum value.

• edited January 2014

Last couple of days have been really good.

I played the main tonight, and ended up 25th for a smallish cash, exit hand was A5 with <10 bigs on the button, into the big blinds AQ.

Got lucky in a hand just before the bubble, AJ all in over a short stack shove, guy in the small blind also shoves all in.

Shortie had Ace 7, sb had Ace Ace, flop 910qx, river a K!

Really like this tournie, it's a good laugh. Hadn't played it in ages till Diminuendo twisted my arm into playing it last week!

Got a free seat into next weeks game as well through the show, always nice!

Played cash for 2 hours aswell and ended up about 6 BI's up. Over the next few weeks, i'm going to try and build up £500 profit, and have a go again at some higher games, to hopefully move things along a bit. 

This was my favourite hand of the night against a total maniac

CuppaT Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £14.71
    Wakey_S Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.80
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

corRaise  £0.60 £0.75 £12.33
    big_andy18 Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  £0.60 £1.35 £24.04
    Scratville Fold     
    CuppaT Fold     
    Wakey_S Fold     
    Flop

• Q

cor Bet  £1.01 £2.36 £11.32
    LARSON7 Call  £1.01 £3.37 £23.03
    Turn

corBet  £1.69 £5.06 £9.63
    LARSON7 Call  £1.69 £6.75 £21.34
    River

cor All-in  £9.63 £16.38 £0.00
    LARSON7 Call  £9.63 £26.01 £11.71
    corShow

LARSON7 Show
    • A
    • Q

LARSON7 Win Pair of Queens £

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ah got a feelin:
    Might do a HU Challenge! Seem to be more interested in HU games, than 6 max cash or MTT's at the minute
    Posted by LARSON7
    You put any thought into this? If we can get a few forum regs i would most certainly be interested.
  • edited January 2014
    I was just bored with other games at the time and decided I was goin 2 play hu sit and go turbos lol. Was thinking about playing 1000 to find out what my roi was. after about 150 I stopped playing them as intensively.

When I said HU challenge I meant a personal one.

I did really well over the games I played, my roi was about 8/10%, however they stopped been fun when I was "grinding" them.

Plus from a money perspective, I make way more money playing cash.

If you were interested in doing something mate, why don't you make a post of what you want to do?

• edited January 2014
    Just out of interest what stakes were you playing for that roi and yeah ill have a think about it over the next couple of days.
  • edited January 2014
    £5 games mate
  • edited February 2014
    January was a funny month.

I wasn't really that keen on cash at the start of the month so thought MTT's would be fun for a change.

I don't know if i just ran bad or played bad, but i couldn't really get anything going in MTT's. The deepstacks i used to crush and FT for fun didn't go well. I was running bad, and in turn that resulted in bad play, tilt i suppose!

I then decided i had enough with MTT's so was going to play a lot more HU games, sit and go's and cash.

It went really well, my ROI for fiver sit and go turbos was about 8%-10%. I played over 100 games over a 3/4 day period. But it was a lot of "grinding" for not a lot of profit.

So i ended up going back to cash the last 2 weeks of January.

I played some really big games (for my bankroll).

Firstly i played 2 £110 sit and gos against nosebleed_, it was just before i played the 100plus fiver sit and gos. Basically i was playing a lot of £1 games to try stuff out, i was playing with my game, seeing what would work not work. For example, i wasn't continuation betting as much, stuff like that. Small stuff.

I seen a game in the lobby so i clicked register thinking it was a £1 game, not realising it was a £100 game. Luckily i won both these games.

I also played a bit of 50nl, i lost 2 bi's in a night of madness. Basically i had a bit of a cooler with a set of 3s over a rivered straight. Lost 1 full buy in and tilted away another £50.

Cash went really well last week, i was 20plus bi's up at 10nl. I thought this is an easy game! But i was running awesome.

The last week has been a bit swingy, up and down. I've not been playing my best.

I ended up withdrawing a lot of money at the start of the month/ lat December.

My bankroll currently is about £800ish on sky. I don't know yet if i will be playing much on sky this month.

I also have a bankroll of £500ish on another site aswell. Might give that site a go this month, just to see how it compares, and try and get that up to about 1k.

Not really decided yet.

This month if playing on sky, i'll prob be playing more 20nl over 10nl.

Thank you for reading!
  • edited February 2014

Not a lot has been happening with poker in the last few days. I'm up a small amount, but nothing to write home about.

I won the 7:45 deepstack on Tuesday night as well, know it's only a small one but great feeling taking down a MTT. 3 handed i had 85% of the chips in play! The other 2 players were folding way 2 much/ not willing to get their chips in the middle, so my stack just kept growing and growing.

Cash hasn't been going brilliant, i don't think i've been playing my best, and the cards havn't been great for me either.

In the last 2 days, i got up to over £100 on a HU 20nl table, Tuesday was £140 at it's highest, yesterday was £110 at it's highest. On both occasions i managed to throw away a lot of this and left the tables with 75-80 and 60. Still a profit, but feels like a massive loss. I guess similiar to when we play a session end up down 5 bi's, then when them back.

To me that feels like a big win! With these 2 examples, i feel like a threw money away.

If i get up to 80 plus in future i'll probably just stand, and resit with £20 again. 

I'm at the stage now where i'm going to be playing mostly 20nl. Going to start later on this week/ weekend. Wish me luck!
    ------------------------------------------

The other site i'm on, not a big fan of their software. I've not put much volume in at all. There also seems to be a lot of nitty reg's! A lot more so than sky, it seems at any1 table there is 4 if not 5 players hardly playing a hand. On there i'm down about a tenner, will give it a few more chances and if it's not for me, i'll try else where. 

• edited February 2014
    Recap (Short but sweet)

I played 4nl for the longest time ever. Pretty much all my time on the site until Oct November last year. Then i started playing 10nl. From June/ July last year to November i made quite a lot of money playing poker to give me a sizeable bankroll (for the stakes i was playing), it was the plan to play 20nl from December, i had over 100bi's for 10nl. I hadn't much experience of 10nl, so thought i'd be better playing this for a bit before moving up 2 20nl.

During the summer of last year to November i had won quite a few £££ in MTT's which definatly helped bankroll.

About December time (and before) i had started to make withdrawels. I was making withdrawels pretty much every day. Or every 2nd day at worst. Basically i kept my roll at a certain level and withdrew any profit i made.

Eventually i decided i didn't need anywhere near the amount of money in my account and with drew down to £500, this was also after i had a stupid £100 losing day.

I've decided i', not going to withdraw for a while and build things up.

The future

I'm now well rolled for 20nl.

The plan is to make 80-100 bi's at this level, and at this point look at playing 50nl.
  • edited February 2014
    Nice going Larson
    It doesn,t seem 2 minutes ago since you were mutli-tabling NL4

GL
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks MP

Yeah i think i played 4nl forever!

It was a good training ground lol
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Larson,

Often read this diary but rarely post - those are some really impressive numbers!

Given that you are essentially at the place I aspire to get to in poker - able to make a few reasonable withdrawals and comfortably play NL10 / mid-sized MTTs with the occasional shot at higher cash tables - can I ask what sort of time per month you have been dedicating to poker and what sort of split of time you take between playing : studying?

While I could carry on playing NL10, I was just about holding my own there although not with a win rate like you, I've stepped back to the NL4 tables this year (albeit 8 of them, which sends my laptop mental at times) and am trying to avoid the temptation of MTTs so that I can try to focus on relearning cash from the very bottom.

Also playing with a free trial of the pokersnowie software to try and spot some of my more daft leaks. Shame it can't pick up hand history from Sky (that I'm aware of), but playing the CPU has already highlighted a few issues which I credit with keeping me +ve since the drop to NL4.
  • edited February 2014
    Aint posted/read this for ages, but seems like you're doing really well Larson.

Fwiw Shakin, pokersnowie is all about learning to play GTO which imo won't even be close to the most optimal way of playing at microstakes. It's better to focus on exploiting the (big) mistakes that others will be making.
  • edited February 2014
    Hey Shakin and Lambert, thanks.

Shakin, i play a few hours most days. Main way I "study" is really posting hand histories or discussing hand histories with others. Always interesting reading others hands as well.

Fwiw, you have a good game, better than most of the 10nl "regs".

I took up the freetrial on pokersnowie, really interesting piece of kit, loved playing poker snowie heads up, forgot my password after 2 days and havn't been on it sinse lol

Agree with Paul that the biggest thing at 4nl or 10nl is exploiting the mistakes most people make and going for maximum value. Have a look at some of your winning hands, did you get max value from those hands?

Have a look at (big) losing hands also and see what went wrong/ any mistakes you made, or was it just a cooler?

Good luck with cash
  • edited February 2014

Yesterday was really good was a £100 plus day.

Started terrible i was down £40 in the 1st 10 mins at HU 50nl, got it in with the nut set on the turn versus opponents flush draw, which got there on the river!

Yesterday, Profit at 10nl, Profit at 20nl, profit from HU 20nl, losses at 50nl HU, and 50nl capped games (£15)

This was my last hand of the session, love this 1,

pinocchio1 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £55.53
    darryl1976 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £37.98
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

LARSON7 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £49.44
    ness4 Fold     
    bbbeau Call  £0.60 £1.50 £4.07
    jcleggy24 Call  £0.60 £2.10 £19.40
    pinocchio1 Call  £0.50 £2.60 £55.03
    darryl1976 Fold     
    Flop

• A
    • K

pinocchio1 Check     
    LARSON7 Bet  £1.95 £4.55 £47.49
    bbbeau Fold     
    jcleggy24 Call  £1.95 £6.50 £17.45
    pinocchio1 Fold     
    Turn

LARSON7 Bet  £4.88 £11.38 £42.61
    jcleggy24 Raise  £9.76 £21.14 £7.69
    LARSON7 All-in  £42.61 £63.75 £0.00
    jcleggy24 All-in  £7.69 £71.44 £0.00
    LARSON7 Unmatched bet  £30.04 £41.40 £30.04
    LARSON7 Show
    • A
    • K

jcleggy24 Show
    • A

River

• J

LARSON7 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Kings £39.60
  • edited February 2014
    Sunday and Monday were really bad days, especially Sunday!

I played a lot of HU games, i had my worse ever run in HU games.

I've never experienced anything like it in HU games, i was on a downswing. The amount of times i got it in with a big ace against raggy ace for the rag to hit. This happened a lot. Don't get me wrong, i bit of bad play got involved as well, but over all i was just running terrible. Definatly my worse losing period at these games.

In total, i dont even want to look just now, but in total i must have lost 8-10 games overall, which is a massive loss playing HU. Has never happened before, hopefully it stays that way.
  • edited February 2014
    Sunday and Monday were really bad days, especially Sunday! I played a lot of HU games, i had my worse ever run in HU games. I've never experienced anything like it in HU games, i was on a downswing. The amount of times i got it in with a big ace against raggy ace for the rag to hit. This happened a lot. Don't get me wrong, i bit of bad play got involved as well, but over all i was just running terrible. Definatly my worse losing period at these games. In total, i dont even want to look just now, but in total i must have lost 8-10 games overall, which is a massive loss playing HU. Has never happened before, hopefully it stays that way.
    Posted by LARSON7
    MASSIVELY standard mate.

if you've never had a spell like it then you've run golden.

lots of these games end up coming down to 55/45 flips.  70/30 if you are lucky. doesn't take much negative variance to tip you into a 10 game losing streak - no matter how well you have played.

throw in a few JJ v AA coolers and it feels like you'll never win another game lol.

some people are different in how they react to these swings, i just embrace it and grind through till i [hopefully] show a profit for the session. volume is your friend if you can stay tilt free. if not then definately have a break and reset your mind.

remember that all those sessions where you win 60-70% of your games are fuelled and pretty much dependent on you winning MORE than your fair share of these psuedo-flips. your edge as a good player will see you have a win rate of around 54-58% in low-mid stakes turbos. outside of that lies variance - good and bad.

sounds weird and new age, but if you can do some simple breathing excercises after a beat and be aware of you're breathing and heartbeat you can definatley bring yourself out of any feelings of fustration / entitlement / rage whatever.

ride it out, and run better mate.
  • edited February 2014
    Great post Teddy and good advice. It happens larson just need to ride it out
  • edited February 2014
    Yeah agreed great post Teddy, had so many horrid losing streaks over my thousands of games of HU started to realise one of the keys to being a winning player long term HU is not letting tilt turn a normal losing streak into an awful losing streak, just review the games remain consistent and the results will always come eventually.
  • edited February 2014
    Just noticed you have snuck into the sng profit leaderboard nice work!
  • edited February 2014
    Hey Teddy Nick Ben

Yeah 1st time ive really experienced it playing heads up, to this extent anyway!

I remember reading posts by both of you during downswings playing HU. Now i know what it feels like:P

lol Yeah Ben got a silver star, don't know how much longger for tho!

Going to take a break from HU games for a bit.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm going to be playing 20 £11 MTTs on sky over the next few weeks. Looking forward to it,

Hoping to cash in 40/50% Ft 4 and win 1, that's the goal!
  • edited February 2014
    It's all well and good setting goals, but to FT 20%? And an outright victory?

Why not just say you're gonna play 20 £11 MTT's to the best of your ability, and whatever happens, happens. You could play perfect poker and have zero cashes, you could play awful yet get 7 final tables. 

With MTT variance being so high, seems bizarre to set targets on such a ridiculously small sample size.

Good luck regardless.
  • edited February 2014
    It's all well and good setting goals, but to FT 20%? And an outright victory? Why not just say you're gonna play 20 £11 MTT's to the best of your ability, and whatever happens, happens. You could play perfect poker and have zero cashes, you could play awful yet get 7 final tables.  With MTT variance being so high, seems bizarre to set targets on such a ridiculously small sample size. Good luck regardless.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Killjoy.

Thought you'd bei in a good mood as you didn't lose tonight