You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ivano's TSP binkage variance galore

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: F_Ivanovic 20nl to 100nl reg by the end of 2013 (+ skypoker/lifestory):
    haha! Was so annoying though. The bet sizing wouldn't work properly I was trying to type it in and it wouldn't work. So at the last second I tried to use the 2x BTN for 4bet size but it was too late and I folded! It was vs someone who a 4bet/gii definitely was profitable as well. And cheers! I was so annoyed at getting 3 outered but then I remembered I only got to that spot in the first place by 3 outering someone to stay in the tourney :P
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    really annoying when that happens - next few orbits tend to be button clicking only - although it´s worth it when it all goes in after you and its AA vs KK and you realize how lucky you have been (has happened to me)
  • edited November 2013
    Entered main, mini + deepstack tonight. Busted both main and mini and 5/17th in deepstack. Had an ugh exit in the main. Aggro player raises my BB I defend with A4s. Flop an A and he c/min-r me I think he's either drawing or just bluffing with something weird. So I call and call turn and he flips A8.

This beaut happened in the mini:

• edited November 2013
    This is somewhat irritating that every time I post a hand history in this thread it fails and ends up cluttering up the thread with garbage!! Basically in that hand history from last night I got it in 5 ways with JJ. Was up against AT, QJ, A5 and some garbage hand. Q hit on the flop to take it down for QJ!! Would have made me close to chip leader i imagine.

Anyway not updated for a while so will have a quick update now. Recently played a few DYM's and so far have a 100% success in them. 4/4 I think in PLO8 and 3/3 in NLH. I dunno if I see value in grinding them long term but it's a good profit builder if I'm having a downswing on cash/tourneys!

So tonight I'll probably be doing the usual of main/mini/deepstack and some PLO. I entered a £5 BH tourney by accident before - it was a £750 GTD and I just assumed it was the £22 deepstack. I said in chatbox that I entered this by mistake. and then first hand I got dealt AK. In case anyone saw the chat and wanted an easy head thinking I was shoving light I decided to shove. Alas, only got folds. Then next hand I picked up JJ in the BB. Thought it was a great spot to do the same and even more so when the SB raised into me. He pretty much snapped me off with AT and I smiled as the flop came down AKQ!
  • edited November 2013
    So been a while since an update again. Just got back from a 3 day stay in Portugal with Alicia. Had an absolute mare booking the holiday though - we saw it online for £123 and so with transfers expected it to be £150-160. So Alicia rang up to book it on Sunday evening. Then once it was booked they said they would phone back with more details - anyway, they phoned back and informed us that the flights advertised weren't available. So they had to book us seperate flights - she then asked how much the holiday will be now and they informed her it would be £460 between us! So almost double the cost of the advertised price. She told them we weren't happy with that and wanted to cancel the holiday but then they say it's £250 to cancel!

Anyway, she gets off the phone at this point and we look online into the company we booked under "Deal of the day Holidays" (Heaven knows why we didn't do this before booking - in our first holiday last year we looked into everything!) - and saw loads of complaints on trip advisor about them. Most of them reporting similar tactics that they used to increase the price, although some complainees also had problems on their holiday. (including one who had to spend 200 euros on taxis and travel to 2 hotels because their original hotel hadn't got a booking under them)

The next day her Dad gets on the case and is phoning around/emailing the company to get to the bottom of this. Whilst he is doing this we also ring up again to see if we can cancel w/o paying a charge - Alicia rings up first but the person on the other end (indian call center) is pretty rude to her and just says it's not possible to cancel anymore. So then I ring back and get on the phone and tell him I want to speak to the people in charge (I have their names as her Dad found out for me) but he just tells me that's not possible. So I speak to him and explain that they have broken their T+C's. And as soon as I say this he just asks me if I'm the card holder. I say no, that I'm speaking on behalf of my girlfriend because she doesn't feel as comfortable talking especially when he's being rude to her. At which point he just hangs up!!!

Alicia's dad got back to us later on and has managed to get somewhere with it - but basically nothing could be done because the guy had tricked Alicia into saying ok's and yes' at the right times so that it looks like she has agreed to the extra costs - even though the guy was incredibly unclear on the phone.

So we end up doing the only sensible thing and just accepting it and going on the holiday. Thankfully, everything is fine. Transfers to the hotel were fine and the hotel was great. Weather was also very good for November with it being 23 degrees in daytime! Only downside is it was far too short in the end!

Anyway because of the holiday and the drama before I've barely played the last week! Had a short session on Tuesday night after I'd finished packing but that was about it. Might play the Primo tonight for only the 2nd time since I started this diary! My brother actually finished 3rd in last Sundays mini-primo as well. So I need to go one better in a big tournament soon!
  • edited November 2013
    Book on credit card, if travel company pulls a fast one and tries to lump extra charges on, ring bank and block their charges citing suspicious activity on their behalf
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: F_Ivanovic 20nl to 100nl reg by the end of 2013 (+ skypoker/lifestory):
    Book on credit card, if travel company pulls a fast one and tries to lump extra charges on, ring bank and block their charges citing suspicious activity on their behalf
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    This ^^^

Always book stuff like that on a credit card for your own safety, then obv insta pay it off from your bank account.
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah been told a few times that booking on a credit card is always safest!! None of us have a credit card though! Will have to make sure to get one soon. We did ring a number the bank gave us but they said they couldn't do anything anyway until the transaction had actually gone through.

Anyway, thought about adding something new to my diary and doing a Q+A with anyone that wants to ask me any questions at all, whether it be poker related or life related. Also to get going with I'm just going to post a bit more about myself so if anyone wants to ask anything life related they'll know a bit about me first!

Name: Wes
    Playing poker: Since I was 18 on skypoker but my sixth form days were filled with gambling! Will mention some more about this in a bit!
    Hobbies apart from poker: Pool, chess, reading, tennis, badminton, football. 

I've played pool since the start of Uni 4 years ago. I was semi-competent (probably pretty rubbish compared to now) to begin with having played a bit of snooker with my brother whenever we could. I also won a pool competition when we were on holiday which won us another holiday so I could play in the "finals" but we never went on it. Can't even remember the reason we didn't go on it now. I think it might have been in school term and my dad being a teacher just meant it wasn't possible! It wasn't much of an achievment though - there were hardly any people entered and none of them were any good! I now play for Flintshire County in the B team - again, not that great considering we're one of the worst county teams out there :P I think if I started playing at a younger age I might be quite good at snooker, but alas that never happened!

Chess - I played the odd few games growing up but never really interested me too much. When I was about 16/17 my younger brother was going to this chess club where I live (parents 'forced' him too) - I decided I wanted to go along. Plus my brother hated that it was mostly just made up of older people! I was pretty bad and my brother was better than me. We both stopped going eventually. Then in 2/3 years ago I rediscovered Chess. I signed up to Chess.com and begin to find how addictive it can be. I'm now a reasonably good player but have sort of hit a plateau in terms of improvement.

Reading - Probably favourite authors are Chris Ryan and James Patterson but then I haven't diversified myself too much. Tend to enjoy crime novels. I go in spells of reading a lot and then not reading for ages though. If I have the internet available I find it difficult to sit down and read a book!

Tennis/badminton - Used to play badminton a lot when I was younger and was pretty good. Fitness was always an issue though and what stopped me from becoming very good. Tennis I only ever played when I went down the park in the summer with my brother. Then at Uni I joined the tennis society and began to play a lot more. I love watcing tennis aswell. Best sport by far to sit down and watch when you're watching the top players!

Football - Am a Spurs fan and have been since about 8 (before then I supported United for maybe a year!!) - I live in Cheshire so no way near London and none of my family really have a connection down there. So why do I support them? Well, I've never been one to be a sheep. I've always liked trying to be unique in one way or another. I went through a craze of buying different couloured jeans in Uni (red, yellow, green, white) - this was before they were 'popular?' - I don't know if I would say they are popular now but you see a lot more people wearing coloured jeans these days and as a result I've gone off them! So anyway, nobody supported Spurs so that was 1 good reason to support them. The second was I liked the name. And the third but possibly BS reason was that I liked the way they played (At that age I don't think I understood too much the way Spurs played) And also I liked an underdog - and back then we were somewhat of an underdog. Oh the other reason is that I hated the name Arsenal and gunners. Which worked out well considering the rivalry of Spurs and Arsenal!
  • edited November 2013
    Is it ok to limp the button with >13bb in an MTT?
  • edited November 2013
    Just the same for me with reading. Used to read loads but the internet has changed things.
    A few authors they you may not have tried.
    Daniel Silva - Mossad stuff
    Vince Flynn - CIA stuff
    Duncan Falconer - SAS stuff
    Jack Higgins - different stuff
    Assuming you've already tried Andy Mcnab

Wild card picks
    Harlan Coben - clever and funny crime stuff
    Frederick Forsythe
    John Grisham - particulary his early stuff
  • edited November 2013
    haha, well played sir :P

I actually read something a couple days ago about limping which made similar points to the ones I was making back in that thread. It talked about how min-r the BTN just doesn't acclompish anything in a HU game when your opponent is defending every min-open. I mean you really need to analyse each situation and ask yourself what you are trying to acclompish when you raise. I'm going to list all these reasons below that I can think of

- To isolate to a HU/3-way pot or win the pot right there
    - To take the initiative and put money in when we have an equity advantage
    - To reduce the SPR so we can get more money in post flop when we hit (preferably stacks if possible)

Between 13bb and 22bb we do not need to reduce the SPR since we will be able to get stacks in post-flop if we just limp in. So that takes care of the third reason. The second is to take the initiative. Firstly, the importance of initiative depends on the opponent. Against an aggressive villain initiative is good. Against a passive villain iniative becomes rather meaningless - they are just looking at their cards and playing their hand. Now they might be really tight and fold too much in which case a c-bet and take it down is going to be really profitable, or they might be somewhat stationary in which case we can go to value on them whenever we hit a piece. So that leaves the first reason I listed - and by far the most important for deciding what to do.

So if we are on the BTN and it's folded to us, how important is isolating? Well, it would be preferable to go to HU but 3 way is still pretty good if both opponents are passive. If they are tight-passive we can c-bet a lot for cheap and take it down. If they are loose (like to station post) passive then we can check to realise equity and just value bet when we have it. Winning the pot right there is always a good result except when we have the very top of our range in which case action would be nice. So how often will a min-r win the pot? If villain is defending almost every time, then a min-r is just not going to win the pot enough.

So what do we end up doing when we min-r these guys? We end up in a situation where we just reduce the SPR post flop and thus reduce our skill edge against our opponents. Ask yourself: How profitable is it to play a hand like 9Ts in position vs passive villain when the SPR post-flop will be 8? This is what happens when we limp the BTN and SB folds, BB checks and we have 20BB eff. Now what about the same hand but with a SPR 4.5? This is what happens when we min-r and BB calls. It might still be +ev but it's going to be much harder to show as good a profit. Since in low SPR situations we want hands which can flop TPGK a lot. 

I can give a hypothetical example to that T9s. eg. We min-r, SB folds, BB calls. Flop is 742. BB has defended with A2o and SPR is only 4.5. SPR is now so small that he can profitably c/shove on this flop. But if SPR was 8, then they would be much less inclined to c/shove and can probably only call. Turn is then an 8 which gives us an open ender. We bet again and now their 2 doesn't look so good so they decide to fold. 

Now, even though I've talked about this strategy before it's sometimes hard to know when it can be employed in a tournament because we will often not be on the same table when we started as when we are down to 13-22bb's. Thus we often don't know our opponents post flop play well enough to justify limping OTB when we can take down 1.5bb uncontested by putting in a min-r. But, if the situation does arise where you think it can be profitable then it can be a gold-mine. You can often cruise through the mid-late stages of the tournament by rarely ever putting your stack at risk just by playing lots of BTNs vs passive blinds.

• edited November 2013
    Yeah I've read a couple books by some of them authors. Vince Flynn, Jack Higgins and Andy Mcnab are the ones I recognize and I seem to recall I enjoyed their books. Might have a look at some of the other authors you have listed. In my early teens I began writing a book - I wrote about 3 chapters in total but sadly I never went on to finish it. I also don't think I have a copy anymore of it as I wrote it on our old computer and don't believe I saved it anywhere :(

There was a short spell in my teens where I wanted to be an author when I grew up. I think part of that was due to the Harry Potter novels - and dreams of being able to get that rich just by writing a few novels enticed me! In fact I did consider doing a degree alongside Maths in creative writing but decided against it in the end. I was never brilliant at English but creative writing was certainly my best asset. I remember in year 9 in English we read Goodnight Mister Tom, and one excersie our teacher gave us one time was to write a chapter 0 on that book. And my English teacher gave me 3 merits for what I wrote - by far the most amount of merits I ever got for a piece of work! I wish I still had that somewhere now but I'm pretty sure I binned all my school books a long time ago thinking "when will I ever need them again?!"

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: F_Ivanovic 20nl to 100nl Q+A welcome:
    haha, well played sir :P I actually read something a couple days ago about limping which made similar points to the ones I was making back in that thread. It talked about how min-r the BTN just doesn't acclompish anything in a HU game when your opponent is defending every min-open. I mean you really need to analyse each situation and ask yourself what you are trying to acclompish when you raise. I'm going to list all these reasons below that I can think of - To isolate to a HU/3-way pot or win the pot right there - To take the initiative and put money in when we have an equity advantage - To reduce the SPR so we can get more money in post flop when we hit (preferably stacks if possible) Between 13bb and 22bb we do not need to reduce the SPR since we will be able to get stacks in post-flop if we just limp in. So that takes care of the third reason. The second is to take the initiative. Firstly, the importance of initiative depends on the opponent. Against an aggressive villain initiative is good. Against a passive villain iniative becomes rather meaningless - they are just looking at their cards and playing their hand. Now they might be really tight and fold too much in which case a c-bet and take it down is going to be really profitable, or they might be somewhat stationary in which case we can go to value on them whenever we hit a piece. So that leaves the first reason I listed - and by far the most important for deciding what to do. So if we are on the BTN and it's folded to us, how important is isolating? Well, it would be preferable to go to HU but 3 way is still pretty good if both opponents are passive. If they are tight-passive we can c-bet a lot for cheap and take it down. If they are loose (like to station post) passive then we can check to realise equity and just value bet when we have it. Winning the pot right there is always a good result except when we have the very top of our range in which case action would be nice. So how often will a min-r win the pot? If villain is defending almost every time, then a min-r is just not going to win the pot enough. So what do we end up doing when we min-r these guys? We end up in a situation where we just reduce the SPR post flop and thus reduce our skill edge against our opponents. Ask yourself: How profitable is it to play a hand like 9Ts in position vs passive villain when the SPR post-flop will be 8? This is what happens when we limp the BTN and SB folds, BB checks and we have 20BB eff. Now what about the same hand but with a SPR 4.5? This is what happens when we min-r and BB calls. It might still be +ev but it's going to be much harder to show as good a profit. Since in low SPR situations we want hands which can flop TPGK a lot.  I can give a hypothetical example to that T9s. eg. We min-r, SB folds, BB calls. Flop is 742. BB has defended with A2o and SPR is only 4.5. SPR is now so small that he can profitably c/shove on this flop. But if SPR was 8, then they would be much less inclined to c/shove and can probably only call. Turn is then an 8 which gives us an open ender. We bet again and now their 2 doesn't look so good so they decide to fold.  Now, even though I've talked about this strategy before it's sometimes hard to know when it can be employed in a tournament because we will often not be on the same table when we started as when we are down to 13-22bb's. Thus we often don't know our opponents post flop play well enough to justify limping OTB when we can take down 1.5bb uncontested by putting in a min-r. But, if the situation does arise where you think it can be profitable then it can be a gold-mine. You can often cruise through the mid-late stages of the tournament by rarely ever putting your stack at risk just by playing lots of BTNs vs passive blinds.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

interestig points, I had never considered limping the button as being the most profitable play in some spots... may have to reconsider!  ...I think people are also less likely to defend when the pot is smaller and they have put in less. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: F_Ivanovic 20nl to 100nl Q+A welcome : interestig points, I had never considered limping the button as being the most profitable play in some spots... may have to reconsider!  [b]...I think people are also less likely to defend when the pot is smaller and they have put in less.[/b] 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Yeah this is true too. Something I do when playing in the blinds in limped pot and I have a garbage hand is just to imagine that I have folded pre to a raise. So any action that happens I can just pretend I have already folded without looking to see if I have hit a piece (unless of course I hit a big piece!)

Also, with 13bb to 22bb eff the blinds are often in an awkward situation when limped to with any semi-decent hand because shovng seems somewhat too big (especially 15bb+ with no antes) and if they just raise they face the possibility of being shoved on. As an example - say we min-r OTB with A8 with 17BB's and BB has KJ. BB can now shove and we're faced with a difficult decision with A8 where we have to call off when usualy in tournaments we want to be the one shoving so that we have 2 ways to win the pot. Now turn it around and say we limp with A8. BB with KJ makes a raise and we shove - now they're the one facing the tough decision. As a result of this, people will often just let you limp along (unless ofc they know your limping range just consists of weak/speculative holdings) - so you do need to make sure you have a balanced limping range if you are playing vs good players and want to adopt a limping strategy against them as well as against the passive fish.

• edited November 2013
    Yeah been told a few times that booking on a credit card is always safest!! None of us have a credit card though! Will have to make sure to get one soon. We did ring a number the bank gave us but they said they couldn't do anything anyway until the transaction had actually gone through. Anyway, thought about adding something new to my diary and doing a Q+A with anyone that wants to ask me any questions at all, whether it be poker related or life related. Also to get going with I'm just going to post a bit more about myself so if anyone wants to ask anything life related they'll know a bit about me first! Name: Wes Age: 24 Playing poker: Since I was 18 on skypoker but my sixth form days were filled with gambling! Will mention some more about this in a bit! Hobbies apart from poker: Pool, chess, reading, tennis, badminton, football.  I've played pool since the start of Uni 4 years ago. I was semi-competent (probably pretty rubbish compared to now) to begin with having played a bit of snooker with my brother whenever we could. I also won a pool competition when we were on holiday which won us another holiday so I could play in the "finals" but we never went on it. Can't even remember the reason we didn't go on it now. I think it might have been in school term and my dad being a teacher just meant it wasn't possible! It wasn't much of an achievment though - there were hardly any people entered and none of them were any good! I now play for Flintshire County in the B team - again, not that great considering we're one of the worst county teams out there :P I think if I started playing at a younger age I might be quite good at snooker, but alas that never happened! Chess - I played the odd few games growing up but never really interested me too much. When I was about 16/17 my younger brother was going to this chess club where I live (parents 'forced' him too) - I decided I wanted to go along. Plus my brother hated that it was mostly just made up of older people! I was pretty bad and my brother was better than me. We both stopped going eventually. Then in 2/3 years ago I rediscovered Chess. I signed up to Chess.com and begin to find how addictive it can be. I'm now a reasonably good player but have sort of hit a plateau in terms of improvement. Reading - Probably favourite authors are Chris Ryan and James Patterson but then I haven't diversified myself too much. Tend to enjoy crime novels. I go in spells of reading a lot and then not reading for ages though. If I have the internet available I find it difficult to sit down and read a book! Tennis/badminton - Used to play badminton a lot when I was younger and was pretty good. Fitness was always an issue though and what stopped me from becoming very good. Tennis I only ever played when I went down the park in the summer with my brother. Then at Uni I joined the tennis society and began to play a lot more. I love watcing tennis aswell. Best sport by far to sit down and watch when you're watching the top players! Football - Am a Spurs fan and have been since about 8 (before then I supported United for maybe a year!!) - I live in Cheshire so no way near London and none of my family really have a connection down there. So why do I support them? Well, I've never been one to be a sheep. I've always liked trying to be unique in one way or another. I went through a craze of buying different couloured jeans in Uni (red, yellow, green, white) - this was before they were 'popular?' - I don't know if I would say they are popular now but you see a lot more people wearing coloured jeans these days and as a result I've gone off them! So anyway, nobody supported Spurs so that was 1 good reason to support them. The second was I liked the name. And the third but possibly BS reason was that I liked the way they played (At that age I don't think I understood too much the way Spurs played) And also I liked an underdog - and back then we were somewhat of an underdog. Oh the other reason is that I hated the name Arsenal and gunners. Which worked out well considering the rivalry of Spurs and Arsenal!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    SPERZ !!!! I know Man Utd fans come from south london and all that, but of all the teams to pick away from your home town, come on ! 

Was it anything to do with spurs being pants when you went to school and you just felt sorry for them. In those days they used to be sponsored by pony, surely this should have been enough to put you off!

I guess the one saving grace was there cant have been many gooners around in cheshire to remind you about the times we used to win trophies (sigh we are working on it !).

BTW if you want to experience londons riot culture a trip down to WHL is highly recommended ;).   

• edited November 2013
    Only ever been a home game once but planning on going down again this season at some point! 

Had a quick session late last night after getting home from playing pool (brag: beat an ex-england international :P) Late regged a BH tourney doubled up, lost with KQs vs 88 then beat AK with A2 but shortly went out anyway. Played 2 50NL one omaha, one holdem. Holdem went well and Omaha was a disaster. I built up a nice stack to almost 200bb's in a short time. Then I had a hand where I 3-bet with JJ only to face a jam (190bb's eff) and readless I thought a call was good - my only other read is that he had made the same move a few hands ago when he jams over a raise, call-3bet. Up against KK but I manage to hit a J and get the double up.

However, my luck on omaha was much much worse. No good starting hands and when I did get involved I was missing the flop massively. One hand I flopped a set and got in vs NFD and lost. Hit 2 pair a few times and got rivered by a flush. So despite winning almost 300bbs in holdem I found myself BE. Then final hand of the night I picked up AA23ss. Action before me went raise/3-bet/4bet and I ofc stick it in. 2 calls and I find myself a 48% favourite 3 way. (QQT8ss and K9T2ss) - I had one of the suits covered as well. Unfotunately flop came T8x... I needed a paired card OTR (that didn't give a FH) or an A to win but it came an 8!
  • edited November 2013
    Only ever been a home game once but planning on going down again this season at some point!  Had a quick session late last night after getting home from playing pool (brag: beat an ex-england international :P) Late regged a BH tourney doubled up, lost with KQs vs 88 then beat AK with A2 but shortly went out anyway. Played 2 50NL one omaha, one holdem. Holdem went well and Omaha was a disaster. I built up a nice stack to almost 200bb's in a short time. Then I had a hand where I 3-bet with JJ only to face a jam (190bb's eff) and readless I thought a call was good - my only other read is that he had made the same move a few hands ago when he jams over a raise, call-3bet. Up against KK but I manage to hit a J and get the double up. However, my luck on omaha was much much worse. No good starting hands and when I did get involved I was missing the flop massively. One hand I flopped a set and got in vs NFD and lost. Hit 2 pair a few times and got rivered by a flush. So despite winning almost 300bbs in holdem I found myself BE. Then final hand of the night I picked up AA23ss. Action before me went raise/3-bet/4bet and I ofc stick it in. 2 calls and I find myself a 48% favourite 3 way. (QQT8ss and K9T2ss) - I had one of the suits covered as well. Unfotunately flop came T8x... I needed a paired card OTR (that didn't give a FH) or an A to win but it came an 8!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Which pool player??

Used to be a regular on the pool circuit. Retired now :)

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: F_Ivanovic 20nl to 100nl Q+A welcome : Which pool player?? Used to be a regular on the pool circuit. Retired now :)
    Posted by iGoWaWa
    Bali Jans. Granted it was only a best of 3 though (I won 2-1) so it's not really that impressive, although he was unbeaten in the league up until that point. I then got beat in the next game though 2-1 against someone I should really be beating!

• edited November 2013
    Thursday night

So I entered the usual 3 tourneys (main, mini, deepstack) - and all three I failed to cash in. Can't remember how I went out in any of them but I didn't play, or run particularly great. I fired up a couple cash tables and entered an £11 BH £2K gtd. Had a good start where I trebled up with A5 when I hit 2 pair on the turn against a worse 2 pair and just TP. Then a while later I flopped middle set and got tricky by checking the flop - only for my opponent to hit a gutshot on the turn. Money went in and I bink a full house on the river! Then a few hands later I hero call a big river shove with 99 on KQxxx in a 3bet pot and win. So you get the gist - I was running and playing well. Then I got card dead for a while but I was happy to sit on my stack. Managed to get into the money and sitting nicely on 30k when this beaut happened: I raise with Q5s UTG. Call a c/r on a 592 two tone flop and a shove on a J turn. GG me as I run into a slow played AA. What a horrible blow up.

I was so annoyed with myself that I began tilting for the first time in ages on the cash tables. Not massive tilt but I was doing dumb stuff like 3betting "just cause and just being in general somewhat spewy. I ended up £150 down and went to call it a night. But 10 minutes later I decided to see if there was any good omaha running - I fired up 1 table of that and 2 of NL30. Couple hours later I had recouped my losses and was £100 up! But by the end of the night I'd lost that profit and finished virtually BE.

Tonight

So spent yesterday and today with Alicia and not too up for playing poker! Then tonight I watched Rounders; film was v enjoyable (for those don't know it's a film about poker!) and I decided after the film I was in the mood for some poker! Fired up 1 PLO and 2 NLH tables and began to just play terrible for 25 minutes, specifically on omaha. One NLH table I played OK on and got a double up but then made a terrible call on the other NLH table that cost me a buyin. Was going to call it a night but then a well known - UN-NAMED regular joined the PLO table and it was obvious they were on tilt/drunk or something from the get-go. Anyway, in less than an hour I was up to £400 on there. Table broke though unfortunately and after a few more orbits of NLH I've called it a night. So a +£350ish profit or so on the night.

If I can ever figure out posting HH's again I mght post a few of them in my next update! Also, please feel free to ask some more questions! Even post some hand histories if you want me to review them!
  • edited November 2013
    Thursday night So I entered the usual 3 tourneys (main, mini, deepstack) - and all three I failed to cash in. Can't remember how I went out in any of them but I didn't play, or run particularly great. I fired up a couple cash tables and entered an £11 BH £2K gtd. Had a good start where I trebled up with A5 when I hit 2 pair on the turn against a worse 2 pair and just TP. Then a while later I flopped middle set and got tricky by checking the flop - only for my opponent to hit a gutshot on the turn. Money went in and I bink a full house on the river! Then a few hands later I hero call a big river shove with 99 on KQxxx in a 3bet pot and win. So you get the gist - I was running and playing well. Then I got card dead for a while but I was happy to sit on my stack. Managed to get into the money and sitting nicely on 30k when this beaut happened: I raise with Q5s UTG. Call a c/r on a 592 two tone flop and a shove on a J turn. GG me as I run into a slow played AA. What a horrible blow up. I was so annoyed with myself that I began tilting for the first time in ages on the cash tables. Not massive tilt but I was doing dumb stuff like 3betting "just cause and just being in general somewhat spewy. I ended up £150 down and went to call it a night. But 10 minutes later I decided to see if there was any good omaha running - I fired up 1 table of that and 2 of NL30. Couple hours later I had recouped my losses and was £100 up! But by the end of the night I'd lost that profit and finished virtually BE. Tonight So spent yesterday and today with Alicia and not too up for playing poker! Then tonight I watched Rounders; film was v enjoyable (for those don't know it's a film about poker!) and I decided after the film I was in the mood for some poker! Fired up 1 PLO and 2 NLH tables and began to just play terrible for 25 minutes, specifically on omaha. One NLH table I played OK on and got a double up but then made a terrible call on the other NLH table that cost me a buyin. Was going to call it a night but then a well known - UN-NAMED regular joined the PLO table and it was obvious they were on tilt/drunk or something from the get-go. Anyway, in less than an hour I was up to £400 on there. Table broke though unfortunately and after a few more orbits of NLH I've called it a night. So a +£350ish profit or so on the night. If I can ever figure out posting HH's again I mght post a few of them in my next update! Also, please feel free to ask some more questions! Even post some hand histories if you want me to review them!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

guilty of that soo much this month!

I really need to get good at PLO - I think I've played a couple of short session at PL50 - and not done great - I'm way too nitty for those games at the moment. where did you get your skills from? any learning material you can recommend?...or maybe we can swap some PLO for MTT help (if you want it)

I'm a little suprised you havent done a bit better at the £22 deepstacks - I have come across you a few times and you are definately one of the better players! love that touney, such a good structure. shame it doesnt get more runners really.
  • edited November 2013
    To be honest you can get away in PLO with playing on the nitty side since there are a lot of players that will just give you action regardless of how nitty you're playing. I read a book on PLO and some articles online to give me the basics and then just tried to figure things out from there. Recently I watched some videos on pokertube about PLO that were really good - will have to go back and rewatch them soon though to refresh my mind about them!

Last night when I played was an example of just me waiting for the cards and letting my opponents do the betting for me - in one hand I had AAss and raise/flat a 3-bet. Flop was 344 and I c/c. Turn was a Q bringing me a nutFD and I c/c again. I still thought I was easily ahead at this point and raising just seemed pointless as I was prepared to call a bet on any river card (since opponent was playing extremely aggro/spewy) - river was an A though which was nice and I shoved over their pot bet (they had £7 more to call into a £150ish pot so decided to call with J high lol) - they had 26J9 and was drawing almost dead the entire hand!

As for swapping MTT/PLO help I'm a bit undecided on it. Obviously I don't want another good/competant player at the PLO games but if it increases liquidity at the games and means more REC's give it a shot then that would be a good thing! 

About the £22 deepstacks - I've gone 4/5 in a row without cashing I think but in my first 5 games of them I had around 3 cashes coming second twice iirc. Been on a pretty bad downswing in MTT's in general in the past couple weeks - kind of annoying since before then I thought I had MTT's sussed again and was playing really well in them. The thing is I know some of my main leaks in MTT's so it shouldn't be too hard to adress them and fix the problem. One of the reasons I like cash is that you tend to play with the same players and so can pick up a lot of reads - but in tourneys you often have to play readless, which I don't like! But that can be OK if I'm only playing 2 tables since I can pick up reads much quicker. As it is I often end up playing 4 tables and end up in autopilot in tourneys which never seems to get me anywhere.

I'm going to give the sunday roller a shot this sunday (prob buy in direct) and I think I'll be 1 tabling it and see how it goes - I believe though unless I run terrible I probably have a v good chance of running far in it if I'm only playing that 1 table!
  • edited November 2013
    So as I said I played the super roller tonight although I ended up playing 2 tables with the 7.30 deepy aswell. That didn't go too well - I shoved over someone's flop raise (which I thought looked bluffy) only to find myself run into a set. oops!

So the super roller - had a steady start and it looked to be a really good table but then I got moved to a table that seemed much more tricky. I value cut myself when I picked up AA and bet the river quite large on KJTxx two tone but ran into KT. So I was down to 7.5k after that. Gradually worked it up again with some blind stealing and little resistance but then I just couldn't win a hand for ages. Got down to 6k and limp the BTN with QJs only for the SB to then make a 4x raise! I kind of tilt a bit at this point and decide to call that, but also his POT (standard sizing from him) on an AJ9 flop - Q turn I call his shove with AT. He doesn't hit OTR and I double up. So after that awful hand I'm back in it.

From then on it was plain sailing for a while. I gradually kept building my stack up without ever putting it at risk and was managing to keep myself on average stack size for a long time. I moved tables again and had gadgerno1 sat on my right. In one hand I limp UTG with AKs (inducing a raise from a late position) which comes in and then gadgerno1 3-bets to 5500. Was a bit worrying at this stage now but I figure there's a fair bit out there and if I shove I can get him to fold a lot of hands. So I do just that and I do get it through. I then got AK another 3 times and took down small pots/lost 1 small pot and had reached 40k. Then I flat a CO open with AT and c/c 3 streets (small bets) on AK3QA only to run into AQ. Next hand I try a steal and get 3-bet by a player. Very next hand I pick up AA and get 3bet by the same player. I flat and they c-bet a 443 flop. Turn brings a club (I have no club) and they shove all in after my check. It's a cooler - AA vs KK. They have a flush draw and hit on the river - unfortunately for them it's also an A giving me a FH.

So I'm back up to 50k now. I raise with AK UTG, get a flat from UTG+1 and then BTN 3-bets and for pretty much the first time ever I decide to fold AK! BTN said they had KK after the hand. I was pleased with that fold. Then 2 hands later I pick up AQs on the SB and only flat gadgerno1's open because I'm hoping BB with their stack size will make a shove; which is exactly what happens. However, then gadgerno1 calls pretty quickly!! I should just fold I think but I convince myself that I have fold equity if I shove because he can be flatting 77+, AJ+ and he's probably only calling a shove with QQ+ and AK. Instead he was trapping with AA. GG me! Was so so annoyed at the time with that... just no need to take the gamble! arghh. Nevermind.

• edited November 2013
    Had a somewhat interesting afternoon today. Got absolutely destroyed by Lambert playing HU @ NL30 where he finished around 4BI up on me. If Lambert sees this, hopefully he can post some interesting hands on his diary (as I can't seem to get the HH to work on my diary) - Basically nothing went right in the session for me! In the beginning it took me a long time to get used to it because I was playing 4 tables total with HU here and a HU/then 3 way Omaha and I didn't feel comfortable at all. In addition to this I was getting some lag and found it hard to type in the bet-sizes I wanted! I think Lambert's downswing has definitely ended though :P

Eventually I dropped down to 3 tables and the lag issues went and I could concentrate a lot better. But the damage had already been done in the HU match! However, I faired much better on my other tables overall. 

+£10 on a 50NLH
    +£75 on a 50PLO
    +£133 on a 40NLH
    +£56 on a 20PLO

Played really well in the most part apart from some bad decisions when I was playing too many tables! I honestly don't know how people play more than 4 on sky, it's beyond me! Especially when they're playing HU sometimes as well (like Lambert did against me - don't know how many tables he was playing aswell as that) - it's a skill in itself though to be able to mass multi-table.
  • edited November 2013
    spurs fan u say 6-0   :)
  • edited November 2013
    i used to play pool aswell was a very good player used to play for sussex qualified for great yarmouth to play the big boys most years

i used to clear up of the break alot done it twice in a row which is some acheivement for me :)
  • edited November 2013
    Yo Ivan!

I had a pretty horrific morning before playing with you, mostly 6max but my HU opponent before you came did exactly what I did to you, just hit every single flop or got there with every draw, got every bluff through etc etc. They took nearly as much off me as I did off you so ended up only being like +£10 for the morning. I assure you the downswing is still in full swing and my BR is lower now than it has been for a very long time.... bring on C4P day to help me out a little!

You were very unlucky today, as you said, just everything went my way. Will post some hands in my diary later for ya but I've already posted 1 in the clinic. Anyone who reads this and that will now know you're the villian but w/e.  Be interested to hear your thoughts in the clinic on it.... I think I can jam for value (dunno if u even remember what I did do)
  • edited November 2013
    No worries I don't mind anyone knowing it was me so long as you don't give any specific reads! (I guess even then I don't mind as I can adjust :P )

I do remember the hand. Was torn in 2 minds whether or not I should go for a thin value bet but given how aggressive I'd been playing I would probably bluff there a lot so I figure I really needed to be going for the thin value. Just knew though I would end up value-cutting myself!! As for value jamming the river I'm not sure. Probably a little thin given QJ got there. I'm only value betting river with good 9x, Tx, JJ, QQ that lose to you and I may not call of them. (prob call QQ, JJ, Tx) and there's a lot more value hands which I'm ahead of. So yeah I think just flatting river is best.

@IDCU: Was it you that challenged me one time to a game of pool if we met each other at an SPT? Was a long time ago now but I seem to remember it was you! Could be wrong though. I've broke and dish only once twice in a row! Had about 6/7 good oppertunities for it twice in a row but then always scuppered it somehow.
  • edited November 2013
    think it was if i ever go to a spt lol  would be good dohhhh has challenged me aswell but he never leaves the house so that wnt happen ha
  • edited December 2013
    Quick update tonight. After about 6 7.30 deepstacks with me getting noway near the cash have managed to find myself HU tonight! In the main aswell I cashed, finishing around 31st with 2 heads. I barely played any hands all tourney tbh but somehow found myself in the money. Annoyingly my internet went down on the bubble and whilst I was in the FT of the deep. Took me 5 mins to get it back on! Made the biggest dent in my BH stack as I was chip leader on the deep.

Cash tonight I had a very small loss of about £25 playing PLO. Got it in good just didn't run well!

edit: Just got beat HU in the end. 2nd or 3rd time that's happened now in the deep stack and HU I rate myself pretty well at! I had a good handle on my opponent. He'd literally call every min-r pre so I ended up limping a lot. He was also just jamming it in a fair amount. Last hand of the match (effectively) I picked up AJ and raised it up to 9k and get shipped on for 110k (stacks pretty much equal). I was contemplating folding because I thought I really did have a big edge but I figure AJ is just too strong to fold there and I dominate a lot of Ax hands. So I called it off to see myself up against A6. 6 on the river!

Can't complain though I had my one piece of luck earlier on when I jammed 10bb's with 55 only to run into 77 and hit a flush.
  • edited December 2013
    OK so tonight I was in a "do I, don't I" conundrum about entering the super roller. I managed to enter a couple of all in satellites that had overlay but got no luck in any of them. Could have tried some ones after the tournament started to find some more overlay but in the end decided to buy in direct! 
  • edited December 2013
    Oh no that was a disaster. I made a "hero fold" with AK on a K72 flop when I bet out strongly and get pot-raised and cold called. Turns out I was up against KQ and the nut FD and they got it in on a blank turn. Flush missed as well. Then I picked up JJ, raised it up and got 2 calls. c-bet a 889 flop and got raised on a blank turn by one of the players in that first hand. I should have folded but ended up calling + calling blank river. 

So that's taken a blow to my BR from yesterdays nice profit. Please sky; no more deep stack tournaments with hefty buy ins! Crippling my roll :(