You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited July 2015

Little Steps

It's remarkable, really, how just winning a few quid each week adds up over time.

£83 in a week - almost as good as I've ever achieved - does not sound like a fortune, & I can't imagine Tom Dwan & Co will exactly be looking over their shoulder. Even so, it all adds up over time, & is very satisfying.

I could not begin to tell you how much I love the game, & the people that play it, I look forward to my session every bit as much as when I first began playing all those years ago. 

It's a lovely game when played in the right spirit.

• edited July 2015

Want some help?

I certainly don't profess to be the best PLO8 DYM player here by any means, far from it, but I do make a steady if small profit, so if any of you are losing money in these PLO8 DYM's, & want as little help with your game, please don't hesitate to ask.

It's amazing to see some of the little technical errors people make in these, cut these out & you can soon turn a loss into a profit. 

Not saying I can help, but I can try.

• edited July 2015

Connection Issues

Guess I should really mention this matter, given that I played 261 SNG's here last week. 40 or 50 per evening means 6 Tabling, so if that's possible for me, on a steam driven laptop, it can't be that bad.

It's so intermittent, & seems to affect us all in different ways, at different times.

I had one bad night, Tuesday I think, where I has to keep logging off & back on again, but that was the only bad night.

On both Saturday & Sunday, it took me 45 minutes or more to get (successfully) logged in. After that, it was as smooth as a tarmacadam motorway, not one problem, it worked perfectly.

If it helps, when that spinning circle has kept spinning for more than 30 seconds, in my experienced it is gonna stay like that forever. So I just log off, close the site down, & start again. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 attempts, but once I'm in, it seems (for me) 100% stable. Fingers crossed the Techie guys will get to the bottom of it soon.

• edited July 2015
    Great too have you back on the tables tony much prefer losing too you than eddie2 :@}
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Great too have you back on the tables tony much prefer losing too you than eddie2 :@}
    Posted by churchy18
    Thanks Brian, it's great to be back.  
  • edited July 2015

This week's target?

I find I do better if I set myself some realistic targets, so for this week....

500 points, as that gets me the £5 Reward Money, plus entry into the daily Freerolls.

A profit of £0.10 per game.

I won't be playing as much this week, will be AWOL on Friday & Saturday, so that seems realistic.

Last week's profit of  £0.32 per game which partly due to some run good, bit of a heater, & I can't expect to repeat that. 57% of games won & £0.10 profit per game would do nicely. I should be so lucky......

If any of the other regulars fancy setting a personal target, be it large or small, go ahead, post in the thread, & let's see how we get on.  

• edited July 2015
    Can you offer any freeroll advice?

Specifically, how to play AQ with about 45bb behind and facing a button raise and a SB call..... :)
  • edited July 2015
    Can you offer any freeroll advice? Specifically, how to play AQ with about 45bb behind and facing a button raise and a SB call..... :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yes yes, of course, I've played in excess of 4 of these, lifetime, so I know what I'm talking about. 

Villain was on the button? They never have it. 

They might turn up with the aces, of course, but that's about as likely as Man City winning something this season.

PS - It was fun sharing tables with you until the beautiful union was abruptly terminated by that fella on the button who had the Aces.

• edited July 2015
    Can you offer any freeroll advice? Specifically, how to play AQ with about 45bb behind and facing a button raise and a SB call..... :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    ;-)
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes yes, of course, I've played in excess of 4 of these, lifetime, so I know what I'm talking about.  Villain was on the button? They never have it.  They might turn up with the aces, of course, but that's about as likely as Man City winning something this season. PS - It was fun sharing tables with you until the beautiful union was abruptly terminated by that fella on the button who had the Aces.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Pretty sure someone good with numbers could prove that chances of aces on the button are far higher

that bluff is never getting through

Great to see you back on the tables Tikay, and the numbers are proving it......obviously people smell value ;-)))

Neil
  • edited July 2015
    good with numbers - tick
    Man City winning something this season - whirly thing keeps go round and round - does not compute

personal target - well after regging for the dtd games i've got £1.81 left behind - so if i want to play some plo8 dyms guess i need to find a cash somewhere
  • edited August 2015
    This week's target? I find I do better if I set myself some realistic targets, so for this week.... 500 points, as that gets me the £5 Reward Money, plus entry into the daily Freerolls. A profit of £0.10 per game.   I won't be playing as much this week, will be AWOL on Friday & Saturday, so that seems realistic.   Last week's profit of  £0.32 per game which partly due to some run good, bit of a heater, & I can't expect to repeat that. 57% of games won & £0.10 profit per game would do nicely. I should be so lucky...... If any of the other regulars fancy setting a personal target, be it large or small, go ahead, post in the thread, & let's see how we get on.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Those were the targets......
  • edited August 2015

Week ending 2nd August.

Results?

Monday P29 W16, L13 = 55% of games won.

Tuesday P24, W16, L8 = 67% of games won

Wednesday P 27 W16 L11 = 59% of games won

Thursday P27, W17, L10 = 63% of games won

Sunday P26, W15 L11 = 58% of games won

TOTAL P133, W80 L53 = 60.1%

Opening Balance = £2,037.81

Closing Balance = £2,115.34

Profit = £77.53

Profit per game £0.58

Those numbers include £3 profit from the Rewards Freeroll, & £5.01 Rewards Payment earned in the week, & paid today.
  • edited August 2015

Summarising July, up to & including 2nd August.

P 525, W 317, L 208 = 60.3% games won.

Total profit - £197.91

Profit per game = £0.38

Those numbers include £6 from the Rewards Freeroll, & £24.82 in Rewards Payments. So those bonuses came to £0.06 per game in total.

Current balance = £2,115.34

• edited August 2015

Hand of the week

Has to be this one, against "philrafs".

I was holding A-2-4-K

The flop came.....

4-4-4.

That'll be quads, then.

I bet small, hoping to get paid off by A-A, K-K, Q-Q, those sort of hands.

One caller, philrafs.

Turn 9

I bet small again, philrafs calls again.

River 9. I bet a bit bigger this time - he must have A-A.

He shoves, I snap him off, oioi.

He shows 9-9-x-x.......

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think, after the flop, I was a 99.88% favourite.

Take a bow philrafs, what an incredible hand.

We had a good laugh about it afterwards, but imagine that coup for big money? (It was just a £2.25 jobbie).

What a great game poker is. You think you've seen it all, then a hand like that comes along.
  • edited August 2015
    Nice results Tikay. My PLO8 results improved this week - maybe beacuse I dont think I sat with you once (not that I would avoid you of course - quite the opposite).

One stat that amazes me is that you played 133 games and got 501 pts

I smashed the 500 barrier and I bet I played a lot less (only 5 PLO8dyms) so it just goes to show how valuable those x2 x3 x4 points boosts are as I took full advantage yesterday.

Got plenty more in August and x2 SNG double points weekends too.

Nice!
  • edited August 2015
    Nice results Tikay. My PLO8 results improved this week - maybe beacuse I dont think I sat with you once (not that I would avoid you of course - quite the opposite). One stat that amazes me is that you played 133 games and got 501 pts I smashed the 500 barrier and I bet I played a lot less (only 5 PLO8dyms) so it just goes to show how valuable those x2 x3 x4 points boosts are as I took full advantage yesterday. Got plenty more in August and x2 SNG double points weekends too. Nice!
    Posted by Phantom66
    Well done.

I just went for 100 points per session this week (5 sessions) made up of £2.25 (3 points for those), £3.30, £5.50 & about half a dozen @ £11. I never qualified for any points boosts as I don't play on mobile.

I'll give the Double Points weekend a good go this coming weekend, but I can't do the second one as it clashes with UKPC.

I know it affects us all in different ways, but the new Rewards System actually benefits me slightly, plus, of course, I could bink a decent cash (in theory....) in the Rewards Freerolls.

I've really enjoyed getting back into these, it's not cost efficient as such, making maybe £10 per night or whatever, but it's free fun, & the PLO8 players are a great bunch to share tables with.

I have a sort of secret (well not so secret now....) pipedream that if I finished work, I'd just sit & play these full time, all day every day, & maybe nick a little pension. Beats watching TV, imo.  

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Well done. I just went for 100 points per session this week (5 sessions) made up of £2.25 (3 points for those), £3.30, £5.50 & about half a dozen @ £11. I never qualified for any points boosts as I don't play on mobile. I'll give the Double Points weekend a good go this coming weekend, but I can't do the second one as it clashes with UKPC. I know it affects us all in different ways, but the new Rewards System actually benefits me slightly, plus, of course, I could bink a decent cash (in theory....) in the Rewards Freerolls.   I've really enjoyed getting back into these, it's not cost efficient as such, making maybe £10 per night or whatever, but it's free fun, & the PLO8 players are a great bunch to share tables with.   I have a sort of secret (well not so secret now....) pipedream that if I finished work, I'd just sit & play these full time, all day every day, & maybe nick a little pension. Beats watching TV, imo.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    The August points boosts are for any platform - so last week there was a mobile one midweek (last one of the July ones) which I missed and an any platform on Sunday (1st of the August ones) which I made.

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : The August points boosts are for any platform - so last week there was a mobile one midweek (last one of the July ones) which I missed and an any platform on Sunday (1st of the August ones) which I made.
    Posted by Phantom66
    The SNG ones, yes, but there is also an "Accelerator" which is for Cash Games only.

I did not even realise there was a SNG Double Points thing in August, so thanks for the nudge, looks like a big weekend in prospect for me this weekend.

• edited August 2015

This week's Targets

I seem to do better when I set myself goals & targets, so I'd best set out my stall for this week.

I can't play Tuesday, so 6 sessions this week.

With the Double Points weekend, think I'll try for 1,000 points this week, which boosts my Rewards by 25%. Ought to be able to get 600 points from Friday to Saturday, so that means 133 points on each of Monday, Wednesday & Thursday.

Profit per game? Be a bit more ambitious this week, & go for £0.15 per game. I've been doing better than that, but I don't think it's sustainable. 

% of games won? Again, 60% is not sustainable for me, but I'll aim for 59%. That's a decent profit if I can do it, so that's OK.

So....

1,000 points

£0.15 average profit per game. 

59% of games won. 

There you go, set myself up for the fall.....

• edited August 2015

Guess I'd best try & update this, after a monster week last week. "Monster" in that I played a lot of games.

Quick reminder first of where I was, & my targets for last week.

• edited August 2015

This was BEFORE last week.

Summarising July, up to & including 2nd August.

P 525, W 317, L 208 = 60.3% games won.

Total profit - £197.91

Profit per game = £0.38

Those numbers include £6 from the Rewards Freeroll, & £24.82 in Rewards Payments. So those bonuses came to £0.06 per game in total.

Current balance = £2,115.34

• edited August 2015

And this was the target for last week.......

"With the Double Points weekend, think I'll try for 1,000 points this week, which boosts my Rewards by 25%. Ought to be able to get 600 points from Friday to Saturday, so that means 133 points on each of Monday, Wednesday & Thursday.

Profit per game? Be a bit more ambitious this week, & go for £0.15 per game. I've been doing better than that, but I don't think it's sustainable. 

% of games won? Again, 60% is not sustainable for me, but I'll aim for 59%. That's a decent profit if I can do it, so that's OK.

So....

1,000 points

£0.15 average profit per game. 

59% of games won. 

There you go, set myself up for the fall....."
  • edited August 2015

Monday 3rd August, 35 games, W 20, = 57%, profit £0.75, = £0.02 per game

Wednesday 5th August, 37 games, W 24, = 65%, profit £17.35, = £0.47 per game

Thursday 6th August, 30 games, W 19, = 63%, profit £19.55, = £0.65 per game

Friday 7th August, 57 games, W 28, = 49%, loss £28.85, = £0.51 per game

Saturday 8th August, 48 games, W 22, = 46%, loss £21.65, = £0.45 per game

Sunday 9th August, 45 games, W 22, = 49%, loss £18.80, =£0.42 per game.

All figures INCLUDE winnings from the Rewards Freeroll (£10 + £4 = £14) & this week's Rewards payment of £24.30.

Closing balance was £2,083.99, including the Rewards Payment received Monday 10th August.  

• edited August 2015

Summary of last week;

Played 252, W 135, = 54%, loss on week £31.35, = £0.12 per game

Reward Points earned 1,620

• edited August 2015

Summarising July, up to & including 9th August.

P 777, W 452, L 325 = 58.2% games won.

Total profit - £166.56

Profit per game = £0.21

Those numbers include £16 from the Rewards Freeroll, & £49.12 in Rewards Payments. So those bonuses came to £0.08 per game in total.

Current balance = £2,083.99
  • edited August 2015
    Looking forward to you and Twiggy going at it over the next few days :-)
  • edited August 2015
    Looking forward to you and Twiggy going at it over the next few days :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    Bring it on.

Funny enough, terrible as those figures are, it's revved me up to play again, so I might play a few sessions tonight & over the weekend.
  • edited August 2015

Last week's targets then.....

1,000 points - SUCCEEDED

£0.15 average profit per game - FAIL

59% of games won - FAIL

There you go, set myself up for the fall..... SUCCEEDED
  • edited August 2015

Well that went well. Not.

Was going along nicely until the Double Points weekend, & then the wheels went in all directions.

Too many games over the weekend? Maybe. Don't think so, but maybe.

Run bad? Well we always think we run bad when we lose. It felt that way at times, but 150 games in a low variance format is a reasonable sample size. I certainly run bad in the £11 games, which skew the numbers, but I ran good in plenty, too.

Lack of effort? Not at all - I prepared well, & really concentrated.

No excuses really. Long term, the figures are good, but that was a BAD week by any standards.

Since I returned, I've hardly had a losing day, & my stats were as good as they have ever been, maybe I was running good & then, as always, variance caught up with me.

I had always wanted to try a full weekend, playing a stack of games, & I don't regret it, I really enjoyed it.

Guess I'd better try & repair the damage. 

Tonight, then.