You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    So, I'd better start getting up to speed. First & foremost, & WAY more important than anything else on this thread...... My very good (virtual) friend MacacGirl1, aka Karen, has retired, gone off on her USA jaunt, prior to taking up a new life in Corfu or somewhere equally dreadful. If ever I had an online kindred spirit, it was Karen. Love her to bits.   Takes her beats like a grown-up should, never moaned, whined or whinged, & started that amazing challenge last Autumn which attracted so many new players to PLO8. As a PLO8 player, if there were a way of "grading" a PLO8 DYM player for technical efficiency, I would say she was close to 100%. Never saw her put a foot wrong, except when she was messing about.    Her sharkscope graph is a thing of beauty, just a steady accumulation of profit over a 23,000 game sample. To make a profit of over nearly £3,000 playing mainly £3.30 DYM's takes some doing. She also had that stunning cash in the UKOPS High Roller, which she freerolled into, & finished 4th (?) for some £2,000+. Overall, according to Sharky, she made a profit of nearly £6,000 on Sky Poker. As a retired lady, let's say "middle-aged", who has never watched a coaching video or studied any poker theory in her life, that's some achievement, & she does not fit into any of the usual categories for an online winning player. I cannot tell you enough how much I respect her, & what she represented, a genuine recreational, who loved the game.   I'm going to miss her immensely, & I'll never forget her. My poker heroine, in so many ways. I can't think of anyone in poker I respect more. xx  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'll be first to second that (can you do that?)

Its the reason i play PLO8................Simples !
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'll be first to second that (can you do that?) Its the reason i play PLO8................Simples !
    Posted by VespaPX
    and if i may venture my services to be the second to second that
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : and if i may venture my services to be the second to second that
    Posted by GELDY
    I'll be the third to second that then.
  • edited March 2015
    Regged for a PLO hilow by mistake, 

I am now hooked will def be playing more

Thanks Hendrick for the bit of help you gave me
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'll be the third to second that then.
    Posted by Enut

5bet, all in.  She is a star and will return for a 1 week cameo appearance between hols and emigration.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :    5bet, all in.  She is a star and will return for a 1 week cameo appearance between hols and emigration.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    6 bet overshove, the Queen of the ploppers will be greatly missed.
  • edited April 2015
    Just thought i would give this thread a little nudge, and to let you know you missed a real treat tonight - it was Twiglets all round!!

Hope to see you soon

Mother

xxx
  • edited April 2015
    Oh is Karen back in the country?
    My BR could do with a boost :-)
  • edited April 2015

Oi.

Kendal.

Where art thou you big blouse?

What's this shocking news that you have stopped playing?
    Disappointed.
    Bitterly.
    Bitterly, bitterly, disappointed in you Sir.
    I never realised that you were such a big Jessie.
    I will try to check the lobby each night for a week and if you ain't playing, I will be driving ** to Derby or Wolverhampton, or wherever it is you live.

Secondly.
    Has Mr. Mop Hair, posing as an Ambo, been brave enough to play O8 yet?
    I very much doubt it.

Disappointed.
    Wth a capital d.

Can't believe you have stopped playing.

Can't

Believe

It.

So shocked, I may have to forgo the full English this morning and go for Cornflakes. Or a Cream Cracker. Maybe half of a Rich Tea biscuit if I can force myself to get it down.

So very, very disappointed in you. I understand you have other interests, like tarmac and whatnot to look at, but giving up the O8?

On a positive note, I found a shop in New Orleans selling Twiglets. Thought I'd let you know.

** That's a bit of a fib.
    a) I hate driving.
    b) I just about trust myself to get to Asda and back without incident.
    c) We've sold the cars.

• edited April 2015

Worried about you Mr. K. 
    Hope you are simply having a long overdue vacation, looking at bridges and carparks or other equally exciting structures.
    Apologies for last message if it came across as crass or insensitive.  I wasn't aware of forum 'difficulties' or the loss of Dave 'Devilfish' at the time of writing.  Sorry on all counts.  Both would have obviously affected you to a degree. Chin up big man.

We're moving on the 22nd, so I'll take this opportunity to bid thee bye bye. 
    We intend coming back to the U.K. for the winters (they're awful in Corfu) so I'm not gone from Sky forever, just for most of the year.

I consider so many of the PLO8 gang to be muckers of the highest order. Strange old world this internet thing.  I 'know' so many personally, but none, in reality, at all. I ain't gonna name names though, that ain't my thing. I'd only miss an obvious character I love! The gang know who they are though. My little cherubs all of 'em!  I'm gonna miss the gang for sure, none more so, than your good self Mr. K

I ADORE your spirit of play, your ability to understand who likes a bit of banter, your appreciation of bare roots, low stakes, bum on seats poker. You get it. I love what you do, how you conduct yourself, as such, I could just about bring myself to let you have a twiglet or two.
    Ok.
    One twiglet.
    If it was a small one.

Good luck in Vegas.

Love you.

Stick your bisto where the sun don't shine.

Hopefully seeya November time for a game or two

• edited April 2015
    Worried about you Mr. K.  Hope you are simply having a long overdue vacation, looking at bridges and carparks or other equally exciting structures. Apologies for last message if it came across as crass or insensitive.  I wasn't aware of forum 'difficulties' or the loss of Dave 'Devilfish' at the time of writing.  Sorry on all counts.  Both would have obviously affected you to a degree. Chin up big man. We're moving on the 22nd, so I'll take this opportunity to bid thee bye bye.  We intend coming back to the U.K. for the winters (they're awful in Corfu) so I'm not gone from Sky forever, just for most of the year. I consider so many of the PLO8 gang to be muckers of the highest order. Strange old world this internet thing.  I 'know' so many personally, but none, in reality, at all. I ain't gonna name names though, that ain't my thing. I'd only miss an obvious character I love! The gang know who they are though. My little cherubs all of 'em!  I'm gonna miss the gang for sure, none more so, than your good self Mr. K I ADORE your spirit of play, your ability to understand who likes a bit of banter, your appreciation of bare roots, low stakes, bum on seats poker. You get it. I love what you do, how you conduct yourself, as such, I could just about bring myself to let you have a twiglet or two. Ok. One twiglet. If it was a small one. Good luck in Vegas. Love you. Stick your bisto where the sun don't shine. Hopefully seeya November time for a game or two
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    +1 to all that.

Sent you a pm Tikay, hope you are OK.

Have fun in Corfu Maca and see you on the tables in the winter.

• edited April 2015
    Worried about you Mr. K.  Hope you are simply having a long overdue vacation, looking at bridges and carparks or other equally exciting structures. Apologies for last message if it came across as crass or insensitive.  I wasn't aware of forum 'difficulties' or the loss of Dave 'Devilfish' at the time of writing.  Sorry on all counts.  Both would have obviously affected you to a degree. Chin up big man. We're moving on the 22nd, so I'll take this opportunity to bid thee bye bye.  We intend coming back to the U.K. for the winters (they're awful in Corfu) so I'm not gone from Sky forever, just for most of the year. I consider so many of the PLO8 gang to be muckers of the highest order. Strange old world this internet thing.  I 'know' so many personally, but none, in reality, at all. I ain't gonna name names though, that ain't my thing. I'd only miss an obvious character I love! The gang know who they are though. My little cherubs all of 'em!  I'm gonna miss the gang for sure, none more so, than your good self Mr. K I ADORE your spirit of play, your ability to understand who likes a bit of banter, your appreciation of bare roots, low stakes, bum on seats poker. You get it. I love what you do, how you conduct yourself, as such, I could just about bring myself to let you have a twiglet or two. Ok. One twiglet. If it was a small one. Good luck in Vegas. Love you. Stick your bisto where the sun don't shine. Hopefully seeya November time for a game or two
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Karen!

I feel bad I never got round to replying to your previous note now, sorry. And no, your previous message never came across as insensitive, I know you too well.

I've just been a bit all over the shop, what with this that & the other, & resting up in the evenings. I keep meaning to start playing again, & then, it gets to the evening, & I fall asleep, lol.

Do you plan to have a night at the PLO8 DYM tables before you go in a few days time? If so, let me know, & I'll come join you & the guys. It might just be the kick-start I need to get going again. Failing that, & God willing, we'll resume battle when you come home for the winter, ok?

It might be tonight, but that's doubtful, as I am driving up to DTD in Notts today, to play the UKIPT PLO. That's the best part of a 3 hour drive each way, so unless I bust early, it won't be tonight. Mind you, it starts at 1pm....

Any estimates of what time I bust? Answers that state it will be earlier than 10pm will be disqualified, obv.

You are going to be SO missed around here.

xx
  • edited April 2015
    Just thought i would give this thread a little nudge, and to let you know you missed a real treat tonight - it was Twiglets all round!! Hope to see you soon Mother xxx
    Posted by Amarie
    Motherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Chat soon Dear, chat soon, & love to The Daughter, you know, the one that turned out a wrong 'un.

xx
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : +1 to all that. Sent you a pm Tikay, hope you are OK. Have fun in Corfu Maca and see you on the tables in the winter.
    Posted by Enut
    Thank you Tuney.

I replied this morning, (sort of, as you'll see), thank you. I've had 4 or 5 similar notes in the last few days, & appreciated them all.

Ploppers Rule, they are the greatest.
  • edited April 2015

Stop dithering and get playing!
    We're busy today, throwing a shindig in a hall. Big farewell party thingy.
    Will check Monday and Tuesday night to make sure you are playing.

• edited April 2015
    You home yet!!!

Of course not, you're gonna win this one gl gl gl

Mother
    xxx
  • edited April 2015
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Best post in weeks.
    Good luck on your new venture Karen.
    I will look forward to winter for the first time since I was a kid !
    Nothing like splitting your time between countries :-)

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Karen! I feel bad I never got round to replying to your previous note now, sorry. And no, your previous message never came across as insensitive, I know you too well. I've just been a bit all over the shop, what with this that & the other, & resting up in the evenings. I keep meaning to start playing again, & then, it gets to the evening, & I fall asleep, lol. Do you plan to have a night at the PLO8 DYM tables before you go in a few days time? If so, let me know, & I'll come join you & the guys. It might just be the kick-start I need to get going again. Failing that, & God willing, we'll resume battle when you come home for the winter, ok? It might be tonight, but that's doubtful, as I am driving up to DTD in Notts today, to play the UKIPT PLO. That's the best part of a 3 hour drive each way, so unless I bust early, it won't be tonight. Mind you, it starts at 1pm.... Any estimates of what time I bust? Answers that state it will be earlier than 10pm will be disqualified, obv. You are going to be SO missed around here.   xx
    Posted by Tikay10
    So how did it go?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : So how did it go?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Hi Mick,

Well, bla bla bla, da de da.

Cliffs - never troubled the judges. ;)

Fuller update, hands, faces, & all sorts of stuff, tomorrow.

PS - thanks for asking.
  • edited April 2015
    Played a game with Twiggy on her last night.
    Down to 4, she's sat to my left, both shortish.
    I decide to try and steal her BB (haven't learnt have i).
    Only goes and rivers Quad Aces to bust me.

What a fitting farewell.........grrrrr. :-0)
  • edited April 2015
    Morning Tony

Here's a little video i think you will enjoy.
    Just a few of my mates from back home meessing about :-)

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/news/classic-car-news/1504/watch-this-italian-job-recreation-in-a-railway-station/
  • edited April 2015
    Morning Tony Here's a little video i think you will enjoy. Just a few of my mates from back home meessing about :-) http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/news/classic-car-news/1504/watch-this-italian-job-recreation-in-a-railway-station/
    Posted by VespaPX
    Very good - & it has 86,000 views. Incred.

I assume you are one of the Mods on a scooter? (Vespa, not Lambretta, obv).

The Steam Loco featured is an ex GWR "Manor" Class, built at Swindon works. Looks a perfect picture.  
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Very good - & it has 86,000 views . Incred. I assume you are one of the Mods on a scooter? (Vespa, not Lambretta, obv). The Steam Loco featured is an ex GWR "Manor" Class, built at Swindon works. Looks a perfect picture.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    No, unfortunately i've had to give up my Scooter following my accident last year, but all the guys are from my Scooter club back home.
  • edited April 2015
    Tikay, I see from next door that you're flying out to Vegas on May 29th, same day as myself. Are you going BA or VA? Or maybe someone else?!

I'm sure we've discussed this before and your preference is VA, but if you are on the direct BA service out of Heathrow at 16.50, I shall see you on board!
  • edited April 2015
    Tikay, I see from next door that you're flying out to Vegas on May 29th, same day as myself. Are you going BA or VA? Or maybe someone else?! I'm sure we've discussed this before and your preference is VA, but if you are on the direct BA service out of Heathrow at 16.50, I shall see you on board!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

A transatlantic flight is tedious at the best of times. I’m sure the very last thing Tikay wants to do is listen to you rabbiting on about your inability to find a girlfriend, and/or the current Emmerdale storyline, all while breathing recycled air.

I reckon he’d rather pull the emergency exit, strap on a parachute, and take his chances that way, than have to spend any part of his holiday with you.

• edited April 2015
    Tikay, I see from next door that you're flying out to Vegas on May 29th, same day as myself. Are you going BA or VA? Or maybe someone else?! I'm sure we've discussed this before and your preference is VA, but if you are on the direct BA service out of Heathrow at 16.50, I shall see you on board!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Sorry for delayed reply, am a bit all over the shop right now.

I will be (I hope) on the Virgin Atlantic flight.

I prefer that flight as it effectively gives me an extra day, arriving, as it should, around 1.30pm Vegas time.

Rather worryingly, in the last 10 days, punctuality has been very poor, up to 4 hours late on more than one occasion. Sort it out, Virgin.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR43/history/20150429/1020Z/EGKK/KLAS

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sorry for delayed reply, am a bit all over the shop right now. I will be (I hope) on the Virgin Atlantic flight. I prefer that flight as it effectively gives me an extra day, arriving, as it should, around 1.30pm Vegas time. Rather worryingly, in the last 10 days, punctuality has been very poor, up to 4 hours late on more than one occasion. Sort it out, Virgin. https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR43/history/20150429/1020Z/EGKK/KLAS
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ha, they have a month to sort themselves out for you!

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer that we don't land until half 7 local time I think it is. Hopefully the airport is a tad quieter in the evening and we can 'breeze' through US immigration.

Only benefit for us is that when we depart, it's not until around 9pm, so I have ample time do to a few buy ins at the 1/2 tables before vacating Vegas :)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sorry for delayed reply, am a bit all over the shop right now. I will be (I hope) on the Virgin Atlantic flight. I prefer that flight as it effectively gives me an extra day, arriving, as it should, around 1.30pm Vegas time. Rather worryingly, in the last 10 days, punctuality has been very poor, up to 4 hours late on more than one occasion. Sort it out, Virgin. https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR43/history/20150429/1020Z/EGKK/KLAS
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just curious.. but on that link Tikay they show a flight on 19th April taking 7 hours 25 mins !!! That seems like a twister of a tail wind!?! I usually go direct with Virgin from Gatwick but that time does seem amazing. Any thoughts anyone apart from a misprint, because on unconfirmed times they put a ? mark.
  • edited May 2015
    No Mac to nudge
    what am I to do.
    Nudge Nudge Tikay
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Just curious.. but on that link Tikay they show a flight on 19th April taking 7 hours 25 mins !!! That seems like a twister of a tail wind!?! I usually go direct with Virgin from Gatwick but that time does seem amazing. Any thoughts anyone apart from a misprint, because on unconfirmed times they put a ? mark.
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Think that was a typo, Any2.

The flight the previous day, April 18th, was cancelled due to technical problems with the aircraft, so they scheduled an additional flight on the 19th. The software shows THREE flights on the 10th, but that's can't be right.

They do have a problem with punctuality, which was particularly bad in early April, but it has been reasonably punctual in the last week. (Averaging about 20 minutes late leaving the stand).

The problem they have is they use one 747 on "turn-round", so if any flight suffers delay, it's a struggle to get caught up. The outbound flight averages 10 hours, the inbound 9 hours, so they have, on average, 2.5 hours of turn round time, during which they have to disembark pax, clean & service the interior, refuel, & embark pax, so not much room for error or catch up there.

On the day I am scheduled to arrive, there is a little PLO Tourney at Binions I'd like to play, starts at 2pm, & has late registration for 4 levels (30 min levels) plus a 20 minute break, so I'd need to get there by around 4.15pm. That'll be touch & go, especially as Binions is 20 minutes away from The Rio, where I am booked to stay. Fingers crossed.