You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    No Mac to nudge what am I to do. Nudge Nudge Tikay
    Posted by eon1961
    Ha, you want my money!

How's the liquidity at the moment? Many running at £5.50 or £11?

You still getting the lot? I see you won Brian's Hi Lo MTT League jobbie, well done.

I gather Mac sent me a parcel, it arrived at Sky late last week, but I can't trace it yet, it has got lost somewhere in the internal mail system. No idea what it may contain - a pack of Twiglets probably.

I keep meaning to start playing again, every day I think "right, I'll start again tonight", but I seem so tired all the time, especially in the evenings. The Community has been a bit niggly & tetchy of late, too, so come the evenings, I just want to relax & chill, & avoid all that. Poker is just something I do for fun, so all the unpleasantness sits badly with me.

• edited May 2015
    Hi Tony

Have a safe flight, I get there on 27th, hope to run into you while Im there.

Cheers

Ian
  • edited May 2015
    Hi Tony Have a safe flight, I get there on 27th, hope to run into you while Im there. Cheers Ian
    Posted by MacMonster
    Thanks Ian.

Guess you'll be playing the Colossus?

If so, I'll try & come find you, & post an Update & pic on the Community if possible. Might be tricky, mind, the field will be HUGE.  
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha, you want my money! How's the liquidity at the moment? Many running at £5.50 or £11? You still getting the lot? I see you won Brian's Hi Lo MTT League jobbie, well done. I gather Mac sent me a parcel, it arrived at Sky late last week, but I can't trace it yet, it has got lost somewhere in the internal mail system. No idea what it may contain - a pack of Twiglets probably.   I keep meaning to start playing again, every day I think "right, I'll start again tonight", but I seem so tired all the time, especially in the evenings. The Community has been a bit niggly & tetchy of late, too, so come the evenings, I just want to relax & chill, & avoid all that. Poker is just something I do for fun, so all the unpleasantness sits badly with me.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    The liquidity on the £11 games has all but gone.Register every night but very rarely any takers although the £3.30 & £5.50 games are running ok.
    Could do with your return to bolster it.Not so many daft calls are made at the higher buy ins.Probably run at about 60% although thats only a guess.
    If your in contact with Mac wish her all the best please.
    Maybe see you later ?. Anyone who gets nasty in the chatbox I just turn them off so it never need be a problem.Previously I would rise to the bait but thats just the reaction they want so best just to ignore them.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : The liquidity on the £11 games has all but gone.Register every night but very rarely any takers although the £3.30 & £5.50 games are running ok. Could do with your return to bolster it.Not so many daft calls are made at the higher buy ins.Probably run at about 60% although thats only a guess. If your in contact with Mac wish her all the best please. Maybe see you later ?. Anyone who gets nasty in the chatbox I just turn them off so it never need be a problem.Previously I would rise to the bait but thats just the reaction they want so best just to ignore them.
    Posted by eon1961
    Top man, thanks, & yes, I'll pass on your best wishes to Mrs Chatterbox.

I do remember that player baiting you for a bit, you dealt with it perfectly I thought, but yeah. best to just ignore. I rarely - almost never - got unpleasantness in the chat box to be fair, other than the occasional bad loser, which is pretty standard I guess. It's just a bit coals to Newcastle at the mo, plenty of poker & forum based work on my hands here & elsewhere, (I'm pleased to say), so I'm just taking a bit of time off in the evenings. 

I do miss it though, so don't be surprised if I show up tonight or any other night sometime soon. 

I have a little (very little) bucket list item, which is that when I part company with Sky Poker, be it the tin tack or just time to retire, I'd love to just sit & play online all day, 5 or 6 days a week, & try & earn a little pension. I'd probably fall flat on my face, but it is a little pipedream of mine, no worries or responsibilities except to myself, I think it'd be huge fun to try. 

I just love the game, the challenge, the fun. All the bad blood, not so much.       
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Ian. Guess you'll be playing the Colossus? If so, I'll try & come find you, & post an Update & pic on the Community if possible. Might be tricky, mind, the field will be HUGE.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Yes Ill be in the Colossus, but for how long Im not sure :)
  • edited May 2015
    Hi Tikay,

Any idea when you will be hitting the tables again? After Vegas? Would be a shame for this diary to fizzle out as it is always an enjoyable read.

Enjoy Vegas anyway. I still have a faint hope of making it, having my second attempt at a semi final on Saturday. They are tough fields though so whoever bags a package has certainly earned it! I have a feeling that at least one of the package winners will be on for a huge score this year.
  • edited May 2015
    Hi Tikay, Any idea when you will be hitting the tables again? After Vegas? Would be a shame for this diary to fizzle out as it is always an enjoyable read. Enjoy Vegas anyway. I still have a faint hope of making it, having my second attempt at a semi final on Saturday. They are tough fields though so whoever bags a package has certainly earned it! I have a feeling that at least one of the package winners will be on for a huge score this year.
    Posted by waller02
                            +1
  • edited May 2015
    Come on Ploppers, what's this nonsense about the DYM action slowing down?
    Just because T(walking ATM for us all)K has stopped playing, doesn't mean we have to.
    I'm in Blighty for one more night. Will help to bolster needy BRs today.
    Come and have a go!
  • edited May 2015
    Come on Ploppers, what's this nonsense about the DYM action slowing down? Just because T(walking ATM for us all)K has stopped playing, doesn't mean we have to. I'm in Blighty for one more night. Will help to bolster needy BRs today. Come and have a go!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I'll be there too

• edited May 2015
    Yep i'll be around later to play
  • edited May 2015
    Yep i'll be around later to play
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha!
    I said I was willing to lose money, not win it!
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! I said I was willing to lose money, not win it!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Would you prefer a split?
  • edited May 2015
    Hi Tikay, Any idea when you will be hitting the tables again? After Vegas? Would be a shame for this diary to fizzle out as it is always an enjoyable read. Enjoy Vegas anyway. I still have a faint hope of making it, having my second attempt at a semi final on Saturday. They are tough fields though so whoever bags a package has certainly earned it! I have a feeling that at least one of the package winners will be on for a huge score this year.
    Posted by waller02
    Hi waller (& _kagawa_), apologies for the late reply, I've only just seen these. 

I'm off to Vegas shortly, so it won't be before then, though I might just have a dabble this Thursday. All being well, I'll resume playing when I return post-Vegas.

I did enjoy writing this Diary, too. I was a bit fatigued generally after the February UKPC, the UKPC stresses me to bits, so I needed a little break, but I had not intended it to be this long. It's also, sometimes, a bit of a busmen's holiday for me. As you know, there was a fair bit of negativity around after the 861 changes, too, so I just decided to chill for a bit, & turn the computer off in the evenings, & do a lot more reading, as I very much enjoy reading books.

For me, forums are places where I come to enjoy myself, relax, have a bit of a laugh. There's more than enough aggro in real life, without arguing about the game we all enjoy so much. We live in strange times.

Hope you are both still enjoying your poker.     

• edited May 2015

Quick update whilst I'm here.

I'm off to Vegas this Friday (29th), & I've never been so excited, like a little boy looking forward to Christmas Day.

This years trip will be a sort of triple header, as I don't expect to be going to Vegas again after this trip. 

I'm playing a whole bunch of Tourneys, all PLO & PLO8, but no NLH, & I'm playing at The Rio (2 or 3 WSOP events), Venetian, Golden Nugget, Binions, PH, & maybe one or two others. 

I'm also having a little non-poker adventure for 10 days, including a trip to Los Angeles, Oceanside & San Diego, the centrepiece of which will be a ride on the famous Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, which runs right along the Pacific Coast in places, & a short stay in a place called Oceanside, where I've got a hotel booked for one night right on the beach. The flight from Vegas to LA ($99), the train down to San Diego ($70, Business Class), & the flight back to Vegas ($80), & the overnight stay in Oceanside ($120), totals around £240, which is an incred bargain.

Then, on June 28th, I start "work", with Dan & Sam from Sky Poker, doing interviews & updates. I'll be doing plenty of Blogs, too.

That's the plan, anyway. We shall see.

PS - Five more sleeps.........

• edited May 2015
    Hope you have a great time Tony
    Looking forward to your stories from across the pond.
  • edited May 2015

Thanks Mick.

You still bashing up the PLO8 DYM's?
  • edited May 2015
    Quick update whilst I'm here. I'm off to Vegas this Friday (29th), & I've never been so excited, like a little boy looking forward to Christmas Day.   This years trip will be a sort of triple header, as I don't expect to be going to Vegas again after this trip.  I'm playing a whole bunch of Tourneys, all PLO & PLO8, but no NLH, & I'm playing at The Rio (2 or 3 WSOP events), Venetian, Golden Nugget, Binions, PH, & maybe one or two others.  I'm also having a little non-poker adventure for 10 days, including a trip to Los Angeles, Oceanside & San Diego, the centrepiece of which will be a ride on the famous Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, which runs right along the Pacific Coast in places, & a short stay in a place called Oceanside, where I've got a hotel booked for one night right on the beach. The flight from Vegas to LA ($99), the train down to San Diego ($70, Business Class), & the flight back to Vegas ($80), & the overnight stay in Oceanside ($120), totals around £240, which is an incred bargain.   Then, on June 28th, I start "work", with Dan & Sam from Sky Poker, doing interviews & updates. I'll be doing plenty of Blogs, too. That's the plan, anyway. We shall see.   PS - Five more sleeps.........      
    Posted by Tikay10

That statement alone sure to open a can of worms Tikay!! Have a good un.

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That statement alone sure to open a can of worms Tikay!! Have a good un.
    Posted by joesman1
    Ha, behave Neil.

Nothing sinister, just age.
  • edited May 2015
    Very best of luck Tikay! Have a great time.

Ger
  • edited May 2015

Thanks Ger.

Sorry if I'm out of date, but have you  - well your wife - had that "special delivery" you were awaiting?

• edited May 2015
    Oh yes a little girl, Orla, shes 7 weeks old now! Hard work as we have another girl 6 and a boy 2 so Im being kept on my toes, still managing to get poker in though :D.

I'm taking a week off work this week to help out more the night feeds etc!

Heading off to football coaching now for my little boy its his first coaching session but he is football mad! 
    Watch this space Messi! lol

Ger 
  • edited May 2015
    Oh yes a little girl, Orla, shes 7 weeks old now! Hard work as we have another girl 6 and a boy 2 so Im being kept on my toes, still managing to get poker in though :D. I'm taking a week off work this week to help out more the night feeds etc! Heading off to football coaching now for my little boy its his first coaching session but he is football mad!  Watch this space Messi! lol Ger 
    Posted by gerardirl
    Oh my, congrats, that's awesome news.

"Orla", that's (to me) an unusual name. Is it Gaelic?
  • edited May 2015

Answering my own question......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orla_(name)

"Golden Princess", how lovely.

• edited May 2015
    Yes gaelic....not sure she will have golden hair though.....our oldest does ...hard to tell at this stage !
  • edited May 2015

On which subject, I watched the repeat of an old HIGNFY last night, dating from 2011, & it was hosted by a young lady by the name of Sharon Horgan. (No, I'd never heard of her).

I checked her out on Wikipidea - I do that with so many people, it's a grand resource - & it seems she has a baby daughter named "Sadhbh". And it's pronounced "Sive", (pronounced like "Clive").

Wonder how often, as she grows up, she'll have to explain to others how her name is spelt?

• edited May 2015
    Thanks Mick. You still bashing up the PLO8 DYM's?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Getting bashed up more like !
    Doing ok in the Thurs night PLO8 tournaments though.:-)
  • edited May 2015
    Haha yes Sadhbh love that name.

We had a few names we liked but with the world becoming as it is they will most likely be interacting with alot of people in their lives that are not Irish and yes their names will be mispronounced alot!

Other common female names here are Niamh and Siobhan, Caoimhe......I can only imagine how these names are pronounced by people that arent familiar with them!

Heading now , good luck in Vegas .....

Ger

• edited May 2015
    Have a great time in Vegas Tikay! I bet you can win a tourney or two whilst there as well :)
    GL!
  • edited May 2015
    Have a great time in Vegas Tikay! I bet you can win a tourney or two whilst there as well :) GL!
    Posted by mrsduck
    Thank you.

I generally do OK, I made a profit every year from 2010 until 2013, but last year, I knocked the lot in, & could not do a thing right.

There's always the niggle in the back of the mind that my game has "gone", & I have to be realistic. Whatever happens, I'll enjoy it though.