You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2015

Someone related a tale to me last night of the poor chap who ran his KK into AA. It's not nice, but it happens. If it has never happened to you, you ain't been playing long.

So, as per, he claimed Sky Poker was "rigged".

The Tournament? The Birthday FREEROLL.

Can't make this stuff up.
  • edited February 2015

Quick shout out to HENDRIK62, who busted me about 6 times (or it felt that way) last night.

Marv.

He seems to have converted to PLO8 lately, & is getting great results consistently. His hand ranges seem spot on, & he "gets" the strategy of PLO8 perfectly.

Long may it last. Preferably, not on my Tables, mind.

• edited February 2015
    I'll see you at the tables in a while. Moving tomorrow into a flat and awaiting internet connection. Thought it best to let you know. Wouldn't want you to have trouble sleeping thinking I was ill or anything. I know how distraught you'd be at an unexplained absence. Fretting, off your game, eyes welling up with tears unable to see your screen.
    Rigged, rigged? I love the 'IT'S RIGGED!' threads. Funniest reads on the internet!  Please stop explaining variance. Let them get on with it, you massive spoilsport you.

ps. Do him Hendo!
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I'll see you at the tables in a while. Moving tomorrow into a flat and awaiting internet connection. Thought it best to let you know. Wouldn't want you to have trouble sleeping thinking I was ill or anything. I know how distraught you'd be at an unexplained absence. Fretting, off your game, eyes welling up with tears unable to see your screen. Rigged, rigged? I love the 'IT'S RIGGED!' threads. Funniest reads on the internet!  Please stop explaining variance. Let them get on with it, you massive spoilsport you. ps. Do him Hendo!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    SHUT........
  • edited February 2015
    I'll see you at the tables in a while. Moving tomorrow into a flat and awaiting internet connection. Thought it best to let you know. Wouldn't want you to have trouble sleeping thinking I was ill or anything. I know how distraught you'd be at an unexplained absence. Fretting, off your game, eyes welling up with tears unable to see your screen. Rigged, rigged? I love the 'IT'S RIGGED!' threads. Funniest reads on the internet!  Please stop explaining variance. Let them get on with it, you massive spoilsport you. ps. Do him Hendo!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    More seriously, hope the temporary relocation goes OK, & you are soon (albeit briefly) back with us.
  • edited February 2015

February opening balance = £1,623.59.

February 9th

£3.30, P17, W12 (71%)

£5.50, P10, W6 (60%)

£11, P6, W3 (50%)

Total - P 33, W21 (64%)

Profit/Loss on Day = £14.90

MONTH TO DATE

£3.30, P69, W41 = 59%

£5.50 P152, W95 = 63%

£11 P60 W35 = 58%

OVERALL P 281, W171 = 61%

Profit on Month = £184.30

Profit/Loss per game = £0.66

Balance = £1,807.89
  • edited February 2015

February Sessions

1st +£51.00

2nd -£18.50

3rd +£19.40

4th +£1.20

6th + £24.80

7th + £68.10

8th +23.40

9th + £14.90

Month to date Profit/Loss = + £184.30
    (excludes Reward Points)
  • edited February 2015

Longest heater ever, this.

Solid, if not spectacular, numbers last night, & so the heater is extended by another day. When Lady Variance wakes up & sees what has happened, her vengeance will be mighty.

Never mind, it's tremendous fun when we have these little runs.

Mixture of good & bad run last night, as always.

Lost an £11er in bizarre circumstances to the oddest play.

Minutes later, won an £11 one in equally odd circumstances. Two BIG stacks, plus me & A N OTHER both clinging on desperately with 2 Bigs each. And you know what happened - the 2 big stacks went to war, & the bigger one busted the other.

• edited February 2015
    I see you laughed in the face of £1,700 and moved quickly on to dispatching £1,800. Not too shabby for an old dog!
  • edited February 2015

I feel a bit uncomfortable reporting these numbers at the moment, it sounds a bit "chirpy", but I report ALL my daily Results, every single day, no matter how good or bad. And there have been plenty of bad.

A lot of the good numbers come as a result of daft play by others, rather than good play by me. 

You need not just "play your hands", but LOOK AT THE STACK SIZES of the other players, too.

If you have 5,000 @ 300-600, & the other Big Stack raises into you, do you really need to take him on? FOLD! 

It feels intuitively wrong to pass up a good hand, but it's Omaha, & you are NEVER that far ahead.

In one game last night, 4 handed & with a ton of chips, I twice folded A-A-2-x pre-flop. Why get involved?

In another game, Blinds were a monsta 400-800, I had over 5,000 chips, & the Big Blind had TWO Big Blinds. I had A-A-2-K, & was, quite obviously, attacking the mini-stacked Big Blind, & potted it. (2,800). 

And then.......the Small Blind, playing 3,000 moved all in. WHAT?!

The BB, obviously, folded, & high-fived the Small Blind.

Mr Small Blind had A-10-10-4. Did he REALLY think I'd open with worse, in those circumstances?

• edited February 2015
    I see you laughed in the face of £1,700 and moved quickly on to dispatching £1,800. Not too shabby for an old dog!
    Posted by Enut
    Thanks Tuney.

It was only days ago I glimpsed £1,700 for the first time, & now it's £1,800. Incred scenes.

It's happened before though, many times, & I can easily hit the downswing & dip back beneath £1,700 if I hit a few bad nights.

Have to admit, considering my age, it does please me that I can still hack it, PLO8 is quite a complex game, & I generally 5 or 6 table. It might actually be that the intense mental activity is helping me keep my brain in good order. It's like a muscle, if you stop using it, it goes flabby, & is less effective. Maybe.

How are you getting on at the moment? 

• edited February 2015
    Quick shout out to HENDRIK62, who busted me about 6 times (or it felt that way) last night. Marv. He seems to have converted to PLO8 lately, & is getting great results consistently. His hand ranges seem spot on, & he "gets" the strategy of PLO8 perfectly. Long may it last. Preferably, not on my Tables, mind.  
    Posted by Tikay10

It's really nice of you to say that Tikay, I really enjoy the challenge in PLO8, any improvement in my game can be traced back to involvement with the plopper community here. watching and learning from better players is invaluable. Being consistently ouplayed drives you on to look at how improvements can be made.

And above all else its great fun

ps Thanks for getting me on the secret RNG list ;-)))  #riverforthewin #conspiraciesrus #onlyjoking

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Tuney. It was only days ago I glimpsed £1,700 for the first time, & now it's £1,800. Incred scenes. It's happened before though, many times, & I can easily hit the downswing & dip back beneath £1,700 if I hit a few bad nights. Have to admit, considering my age, it does please me that I can still hack it, PLO8 is quite a complex game, & I generally 5 or 6 table. It might actually be that the intense mental activity is helping me keep my brain in good order. It's like a muscle, if you stop using it, it goes flabby, & is less effective. Maybe.   How are you getting on at the moment?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay, I'm fine, thanks for asking. Work is very busy and hence poker is limited atm. Running pretty poorly at MTTs for the last few months (sort of treading water with no decent cashes). Yesterday was a prime example - got to the bubble in the main event (£33 BH) with a couple of bounties, in the BB with only about 12 bigs and the big stack button raised into me with an obvious button steal against a bb with a short stack.  Anyway I had A9 and decided to 'ship it'. I did let the timer go right down though, trying to string out the hand as much as possible, but I had no intention of folding. Anyway he called and turned over A8. Oh God I was dominating him - I HATE that, seriously I do, give me a race any day at least I expect to lose those! Sure enough I was right, he flopped an 8 and I was out. On the plus side my time wasting did get me into the first cash position so a small profit was made. Out with a dominating hand though, sums up the MTTs at the moment.  

PLO8 is my saving grace at present. I think I have done quite well recently and think I am over 60% in the last 100, which were pretty much all at £5.50 or £11. I was even about 65% for the £11's so made a bit of profit (I may even be a 'profitable' PLO8 STT player, which is not too bad as I know I often don't play it as well as I could/should). Anyway those are from my records so I am sure someone with 'Sharky' access will put me right if I'm wrong!

Sorry for the waffle, bet you wish you didn't ask now!   
  • edited February 2015
    teeks 
    stop potting me
    you know i always have it :-)

• edited February 2015
    But what's with macac
    and her straight flushes 
    give us a chance

• edited February 2015
    I have a startling revelation to share.
    Without prompt, without humour involved whatsoever, TK just told us that he like to cross dress on Tuesday nights! Genuine chat-box jaw-dropping moment!
    He prefers to be known as Petulia on Tuesdays. Couldn't make it up!
    Happens a lot I guess, a way of coping with stress and whatnot.
    Lord willing, next time TK is on a Tuesday night Sky Poker TV show, Petulia will emerge in all her glory.
    Be strong TK.
    You are amongst friends.
  • edited February 2015
    I have a startling revelation to share. Without prompt, without humour involved whatsoever, TK just told us that he like to cross dress on Tuesday nights! Genuine chat-box jaw-dropping moment! He prefers to be known as Petulia on Tuesdays. Couldn't make it up! Happens a lot I guess, a way of coping with stress and whatnot. Lord willing, next time TK is on a Tuesday night Sky Poker TV show, Petulia will emerge in all her glory. Be strong TK. You are amongst friends.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    DENIED.

Any further such scurrilous allegations shall be strenuously strenuoused, & shall be forwarded to my Legal Team forthwith, or even threewith.

You have been warneded.
  • edited February 2015

Meanwile, at the tables last night......

• edited February 2015

February opening balance = £1,623.59.

February 10th

£3.30, P8, W1 (13%)

£5.50, P27, W13 (48%)

£11, P9, W4 (44%)

Total - P 44, W18 (41%)

Profit/Loss on Day = £54.60

MONTH TO DATE

£3.30, P77, W42 = 55%

£5.50 P179, W108 = 60%

£11 P69 W39 = 57%

OVERALL P 325, W189 = 58%

Profit on Month = £129.70

Profit/Loss per game = £0.40

Balance = £1,753.29
  • edited February 2015

February Sessions

1st +£51.00

2nd -£18.50

3rd +£19.40

4th +£1.20

6th + £24.80

7th + £68.10

8th +23.40

9th + £14.90

10th - £54.60

Month to date Profit/Loss = + £129.70
    (excludes Reward Points)
  • edited February 2015

That was the perfect storm, you can look at those numbers as long as you like, you won't find a single decent stat there, & all my monthly metrics & graphs got destroyed.

I got battered, battered again, & then battered once more just for rubs. 

5 games from home, I had just had 4 wins in a row, & a chance to get out of it, but then I lost the next 4 to get me right back in the jolly old hole. 

Marv. 

Just one of those nights. 

Amazingly, the busiest ever Tuesday I can ever recall on the Site, with plenty of games going, & on paper, they looked beatable. Not my me though. 

I got Jodded more times than enough, but that was nowhere near as painful as being Gelded. Now that does bring a tear to the eye.

Move on, nothing to see here. 

Tonight, I shall mainly be trying to do better.

• edited February 2015
    That was the perfect storm, you can look at those numbers as long as you like, you won't find a single decent stat there, & all my monthly metrics & graphs got destroyed.   I got battered, battered again, & then battered once more just for rubs.  5 games from home, I had just had 4 wins in a row, & a chance to get out of it, but then I lost the next 4 to get me right back in the jolly old hole.  Marv.  Just one of those nights.  Amazingly, the busiest ever Tuesday I can ever recall on the Site, with plenty of games going, & on paper, they looked beatable. Not my me though.  I got Jodded more times than enough, but that was nowhere near as painful as being Gelded. Now that does bring a tear to the eye. Move on, nothing to see here.  Tonight, I shall mainly be trying to do better.      
    Posted by Tikay10

And they say dym's are a low variance form of the game!  Onwards and upwards.  Grind hard and look forward to your well deserved UKPC break.

• edited February 2015
    That was the perfect storm, you can look at those numbers as long as you like, you won't find a single decent stat there, & all my monthly metrics & graphs got destroyed.   I got battered, battered again, & then battered once more just for rubs.  5 games from home, I had just had 4 wins in a row, & a chance to get out of it, but then I lost the next 4 to get me right back in the jolly old hole.  Marv.  Just one of those nights.  Amazingly, the busiest ever Tuesday I can ever recall on the Site, with plenty of games going, & on paper, they looked beatable. Not my me though.  I got Jodded more times than enough, but that was nowhere near as painful as being Gelded. Now that does bring a tear to the eye. Move on, nothing to see here.  Tonight, I shall mainly be trying to do better.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ooops indeed sir !
    I had Geldy (mode 14) and jod on a table last night.
    Was fun to watch :-)
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : And they say dym's are a low variance form of the game!  Onwards and upwards.  Grind hard and look forward to your well deserved UKPC break.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Yes, & PLO8 DYM's are the lowest variance form of DYM.

It's extraordinary how powerful variance is. 

All weekend, I could not do a thing wrong.

Last night, I swung the other way. 

These things tend to go in runs - or they SEEM to - so might be a bit more of that incoming.

A "break" at UKPC? In some ways, yeah, but not all.

How many times do you think I'll be told bad beat stories, or a chap will wander up & say "so the flop came", or the even worse "and guess what he called me with?"

I'll set the line at 100.  

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ooops indeed sir ! I had Geldy (mode 14) and jod on a table last night. Was fun to watch :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    There were some great games last night, to be fair, I've rarely enjoyed a session so much.

Saw a nasty, horrible, slowroll though.

Board had paired 6's, (J-10-6-6-2), a kid bets, Villain repots it, & the kid then shoved the few chips he had left over the line.

Mr Villain then types "quad 6's?" as the clock slowly wound down, then just as it hit the red bit, calls with his Jacks full. 

We all knew EXACTLY his hand, he does it every time, so often you'd think he'd be bored with it by now.

Do meet some weird sorts in poker, eh? Try that in a Live game & you'd get offered outside.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes, & PLO8 DYM's are the lowest variance form of DYM. It's extraordinary how powerful variance is.  All weekend, I could not do a thing wrong. Last night, I swung the other way.  These things tend to go in runs - or they SEEM to - so might be a bit more of that incoming.   A "break" at UKPC? In some ways, yeah, but not all. How many times do you think I'll be told bad beat stories, or a chap will wander up & say "so the flop came ", or the even worse " and guess what he called me with ?" I'll set the line at 100.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Go as Petulia, you'll be left alone !
  • edited February 2015
    Can an Old Dog Back up his Sky Poker Mates??

Big 'Away' Game, we need our 'Top Boys'............
    You Free Tony??

""A Sporting Challenge!!!

The Rumble in The Poker Jungle!!

Fighting out of Sky Poker, .....in The Blue Corner,
    THE SKY HITSQUAD!!

Fighting out of Poker Stars, .....in the Red Corner,
    Ace High Poker!!

This Weds 18th Feb 8pm on Poker Stars
    Ace-High Poker V  Sky HitSquad
    A Poker 'Friendly'!!

A One off Tournie with our Friends in Ace-High Poker Group
    All Available Squaddies/Guests are Invited to represent Us.

Top Ten Finishers will score as per 'Old DTD' points system
    [ie 10pts Win, 1pt 10th]

Tournament Details:
    Name : Ace-High Team Vs Sky Hitsquad
    Date : Wednesday - 18/02/2015
    Start : 8PM GMT/WET
    Tournament I.D : 1140739607
    Buy In : $5.50
    Starting Stack :$5000 chips
    Blind Levels : 10 Minutes
    Breaks : 5 minutes every hour at 55 minutes past the hour.

Home Game joining details

Club name on Pokerstars is... 'Ace High Poker Groups'...
    Club i.d...927220
    Invite code...ACEHIGH5

Squaddies oe Guests available with Poker stars account, PM me if you able to play, with Your PS 'table alias' pls!!
    We will have a return Leg on Sky Poker ASAP!
    [our friendship with Ace High Poker has brought 10+ New Players to Sky Already!!]

"We are away from home, so keep ya Nut Down, be Poker tooled up, lets get in Their End & Take it Propa", Lol!!

GWAN COMRADES!!
    Lets do Sky Poker Proud!!""

• edited February 2015
    Can an Old Dog Back up his Sky Poker Mates?? Big 'Away' Game, we need our 'Top Boys'............ You Free Tony?? ""A Sporting Challenge!!! The Rumble in The Poker Jungle!! Fighting out of Sky Poker, .....in The Blue Corner, THE SKY HITSQUAD!! Fighting out of Poker Stars, .....in the Red Corner, Ace High Poker!!   This Weds 18th Feb 8pm on Poker Stars Ace-High Poker V  Sky HitSquad A Poker 'Friendly'!! A One off Tournie with our Friends in Ace-High Poker Group All Available Squaddies/Guests are Invited to represent Us. Top Ten Finishers will score as per 'Old DTD' points system [ie 10pts Win, 1pt 10th] Tournament Details: Name : Ace-High Team Vs Sky Hitsquad Date : Wednesday - 18/02/2015 Start : 8PM GMT/WET Tournament I.D : 1140739607 Buy In : $5.50 Starting Stack :$5000 chips Blind Levels : 10 Minutes Breaks : 5 minutes every hour at 55 minutes past the hour. Home Game joining details Club name on Pokerstars is... 'Ace High Poker Groups'... Club i.d...927220 Invite code...ACEHIGH5 Squaddies oe Guests available with Poker stars account, PM me if you able to play, with Your PS 'table alias' pls!! We will have a return Leg on Sky Poker ASAP! [our friendship with Ace High Poker has brought 10+ New Players to Sky Already!!] "We are away from home, so keep ya Nut Down, be Poker tooled up, lets get in Their End & Take it Propa", Lol!! GWAN COMRADES!! Lets do Sky Poker Proud!!""
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

Tony!!!

HitSquad got thrashed 40-9, we were well outnumbered in a 62 runner tournie!!

A Record for them!!

The Return on Sky is this weds 25th 7.30pm FOSP Tournie, they are bring 50ish Runners to challenge us on Sky, so FOSP, Friends of Sky Poker will take them on for Sky to get numbers more even!

As was massive success for them, we may have a Doulbe tournie Both Sites, Home & away leg, will post up

PLEASE PLAY FOR FOSP SKY POKER IF YOU FREE, even just in Home leg on Sky!!
    that would be tremendous

All Sky Players welcome to join in Fun!

[ PS,I know this may go ttowards a grey area for Sky, and I hope they OK & take this in the Sporting Spirit that it started in!
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Tony!!! HitSquad got thrashed 40-9, we were well outnumbered in a 62 runner tournie!! A Record for them!! The Return on Sky is this weds 25th 7.30pm FOSP Tournie, they are bring 50ish Runners to challenge us on Sky, so FOSP, Friends of Sky Poker will take them on for Sky to get numbers more even! As was massive success for them, we may have a Doulbe tournie Both Sites, Home & away leg, will post up PLEASE PLAY FOR FOSP SKY POKER IF YOU FREE, even just in Home leg on Sky!! that would be tremendous All Sky Players welcome to join in Fun! [ PS,I know this may go ttowards a grey area for Sky, and I hope they OK & take this in the Sporting Spirit that it started in!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Now you know how it feels ;)

See you soon Tikay.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Now you know how it feels ;) See you soon Tikay.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    True Mate!!

Was like that for Us, when Forum DTD Team League started as well!!

Yup we got Thrashed by Greater Numbers in an Excellent Team, But we sportingly congrajulated The Worthy Victors, thanked them for the Invite & Fun, and just Move on to the Next Challenge...

;)

Now TK, this weds?? You Free?