You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2015

2015 Opening Balance = £1,520.48

21st January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P21 W11

£11, P3 W2

Total = P24, W13, L11

Profit/Loss on day £1.50 (includes losing £5.50 in an MTT)

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P 212, W120 (57%)

£11, P 58, W33 (57%)

Total, P295, W167, Game-Count 57%

Closing balance £1,567.54

Profit/Loss on Month £47.06

Profit/Loss per game = £0.16
  • edited January 2015

26th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P20 W9

£11, P6 W4

Total = P26, W13, L13

Profit/Loss on day £6.00 

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P 232, W129 (56%)

£11, P 64, W37 (58%)

Total, P321, W180, Game-Count 56%

Closing balance £1,561.54

Profit/Loss on Month £41.06

Profit/Loss per game = £0.13
  • edited January 2015

28th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P15 W9

£11, P7 W5

Total = P22, W14, L8

Profit/Loss on day £30.50

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P 246, W138 (56%)

£11, P 71, W42 (59%)

Total, P343, W194, Game-Count 57%

Closing balance £1,592.04

Profit/Loss on Month £71.56

Profit/Loss per game = £0.21
  • edited January 2015

Undecided about playing tonight. The GUKPT @ THe Vic, has a £150 PLO 4/5/6 Tourney at 6pm. VERY tempted to go play that......

I played one of these at The Vic last year, & ended up 2nd, though it took until 5am.

When we got Heads Up, we were on the 6 Card Level (it's one level per 4, 5 or 6 card, in rotation), & I really had no idea what hands I could fold in 6 card Heads up - there are not many really. Anyway, I got my pants taken down, & ended up in 2nd. Doubt I'll run as good again if I do play, but these are huge fun.

I played the UKIPT PLO @ Hippodrome on Sunday, & had a whale of a time, eventually finishing 12th of 50 odd.

Typical PLO exit, too, on a flop of 9-5-5, I was holding A-5-10-10 DS & I got it in v a "punter" (smashing bloke, great fun) who was holding the Macacgirl-tastic 2-5-6-8 (it was a Raised pot pre & this was "High Only" PLO!), so I had him proper crushed. He housed up on the turn, & again on the river. Poo.
  • edited January 2015
    Always good to read your updates.

Ger asked about you last night, wondering if you had retired !

I told him you don't frequent the £3 tables much these days.

Good luck at the Vic if you decide to go.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Always good to read your updates. Ger asked about you last night, wondering if you had retired ! I told him you don't frequent the £3 tables much these days. Good luck at the Vic if you decide to go.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha, no, not retired, but please pass on my best regards to Ger.

I like to experiment, tinker, fiff & faff, & for January, I decided I'd try & drive liquidity @ £5.50 & £11. Amazingly, I'll have played around 400 games at those levels in January by c-o-b tonight. Could never have dreamed of such a number a year or so ago, & I'm chuffed to bits.

If only there were enough demand for a £22 version, but I fear there is not. On AVERAGE, just 3 or 4 games @ £11 run every night at present, though there were 8 or more last night.

I went to The Vic on Thursday, & had a wonderful evening, but came home empty handed.

5 & 6 card PLO is such wonderful fun. 

There can't be too mant games where, on a flop of K-9-2, it is right to get ALL your chips in with Q high, but thats exactly what I did. And won the hand. (Had 7-8-10-J-Q).

I twice flopped the nut flush & lost both times.

I got the lot in with Q high again on a flop of 9-7-2 & won. (Had 6-8-10-J-Q). 

Never had so much fun, & my stack was swinging & swonging all over the shop, started with 10k, got to 19k, down to 6k, up to 24k, down to 9k. Blinds were now 200-400, & I lost the vital one to send me packing.

Good game, good game.   
  • edited January 2015

30th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P22 W12

£11, P8 W4

Total = P30, W16, L14

Profit/Loss on day £9.00

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P 268, W150 (56%)

£11, P 79, W46 (58%)

Total, P373, W216, Game-Count 58%

Closing balance £1,583.04

Profit/Loss on Month £62.56

Profit/Loss per game = £0.17
  • edited January 2015

Big session last night, but it was always uphill, & I struggled to get ahead all evening.

Won the game count 16-14, but lost £9 along the way. (The Reg Fees came to £19).

Lost the first 3 @ £11, but managed to end up all square, 4-4.

In the first, I hit the flush to win the hand, & the game, but was surprised to see the chips go the other way - my man hit a straight flush. Not much you can do about those spots, but it was that kind of evening.

In the first £5 game, I made a fearful strategic error, & got counterfeited on the river to do the lot. My bad, I should never have been in the hand.

A couple of regulars have developed the habit of trying to get the lot in pre, in Levels 1 & 2, with good "low" hands. I lost 3 games, all-in pre, with Aces in these spots. Wish I could run those match ups 10,000 times, I'd be a vey rich man, but variance, as we know, is fickle. Still, I'm in credit with variance at the moment, I think.

Great evening, really tried hard all session despite some run-bad, & held my discipline well.

Someone commented that I never play hands without an ace in them. I'd say that, "shove spots" late on excepted, thats probably true. Maybe I need to widen my range a bit, but I can't convince myself that we should ever, in PLO8, go to war without an Ace in our hand, as it counts for both ends, it is SUCH a powerful card. There can't be many hands, if any, in the top 1,000 PLO8 hands that don't contain an ace.

My last January session tonight, & I head into it £62 up on the month, plus £22.20 of Reward Points on top. Really hoping to have a winning session tonight to end the month with a nice profit, but you know what poker is like, when you most want a good session, it generally gives us a slap round the chops.  

The glorious uncertainty of poker.

See you later.

• edited February 2015

31st January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P23 W10

£11, P7 W6

Total = P30, W16, L14

Profit/Loss on day £16.50

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P 291, W160 (55%)

£11, P 86, W52 (60%)

Total, P403, W230, Game-Count 57%

Closing balance £1,599.54

Profit/Loss on Month £79.06

Profit/Loss per game = £0.20
  • edited February 2015

As the month has now ended, I'll add in the Reward Points money due to me, although this is not actually in the account yet.

I earned 2,405 Reward Points, so the amount due is £24.05.

So the final January numbers are.....

• edited February 2015

January total numbers are;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P 291, W160 (55%)

£11, P 86, W52 (60%)

Total, P403, W230, Game-Count 57%

Closing balance £1,623.59

Profit/Loss on Month £103.11

Profit/Loss per game = £0.26
  • edited February 2015

Very pleased with that.

I began this challenge 16 months ago, with £200, so I've made around £1,400, just shy of £100 per month, & only had 1 losing month in that time. Can't begin to tell you the enjoyment the game has given me, & so many friends made.

I'm way too tight & nitty, of course, & just try to avoid, where possible, confrontation. Late on, I'll fold good hands if someone raises in front of me, but shove lesser hands if I'm first to open.

My "edge" is tiny, & not so much that I play well, rather that some players do make some terrible mistakes, & by sitting quietly, we can profit from those things.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but some players don't seem to take notice of stack dynamics. Even if I have good aces, if a big stack attacks me 4 handed, & I have plenty of chips, I'll snap fold it - I don't NEED to go to war, I can wait it out, sat quietly in the corner, & attack the short stacks. I'm often the short stack, of course, & I EXPECT the Big stacks to attack me. That's their job.  

In one game last night, two of us had 10,000 chips between us, another guy had 1,300, & the shortie had 700 - with Blinds at 300-600.

The two shorties folded, & the other big stack was Small Blind to my Big Blind. And he MADE UP THE SMALL BLIND!

Why would he EVER do that, in a million years? A guy is sat there with One Big, another has 3 Bigs. Why would the other big stack EVER take me on?!

In another game, again, 2 of us had 10,000 between us, & I tried to attack a shortie who had 2 bigs. (The other shortie, also with 2 Bigs, had folded). The shortie folded, but the other Big Stack called with abso garbage, no ace, 2, or King in his hand. 

Why defend in such circumstances? Apart from anything else, a PLO8 hand without an A, 2 or K is not ever playable. We can RAISE with poo like that, to nick the Blinds, but we can NEVER call with that sort of stuff.

The difference between hands we can RAISE with, & hands we can CALL with, is immense.

And that sort of thing is where much of my profit has come from, not from playing good poker, but just by "thinking".

Anyway, all very enjoyable.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha, no, not retired, but please pass on my best regards to Ger. I like to experiment, tinker, fiff & faff, & for January, I decided I'd try & drive liquidity @ £5.50 & £11. Amazingly, I'll have played around 400 games at those levels in January by c-o-b tonight. Could never have dreamed of such a number a year or so ago, & I'm chuffed to bits. If only there were enough demand for a £22 version, but I fear there is not. On AVERAGE, just 3 or 4 games @ £11 run every night at present, though there were 8 or more last night.   I went to The Vic on Thursday, & had a wonderful evening, but came home empty handed.   5 & 6 card PLO is such wonderful fun.  There can't be too mant games where, on a flop of K-9-2, it is right to get ALL your chips in with Q high, but thats exactly what I did. And won the hand. (Had 7-8-10-J-Q).   I twice flopped the nut flush & lost both times. I got the lot in with Q high again on a flop of 9-7-2 & won. (Had 6-8-10-J-Q).  Never had so much fun, & my stack was swinging & swonging all over the shop, started with 10k, got to 19k, down to 6k, up to 24k, down to 9k. Blinds were now 200-400, & I lost the vital one to send me packing.   Good game, good game.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Why dont sky put £16.50 and £22 in the lobby and see tikay cant hurt nowt 

and im sure a few would fill every evening even more so if your sat at the table
  • edited February 2015
    Very pleased with that. I began this challenge 16 months ago, with £200, so I've made around £1,400, just shy of £100 per month, & only had 1 losing month in that time. Can't begin to tell you the enjoyment the game has given me, & so many friends made.   I'm way too tight & nitty, of course, & just try to avoid, where possible, confrontation. Late on, I'll fold good hands if someone raises in front of me, but shove lesser hands if I'm first to open.   My "edge" is tiny, & not so much that I play well, rather that some players do make some terrible mistakes, & by sitting quietly, we can profit from those things. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but some players don't seem to take notice of stack dynamics. Even if I have good aces, if a big stack attacks me 4 handed, & I have plenty of chips, I'll snap fold it - I don't NEED to go to war, I can wait it out, sat quietly in the corner, & attack the short stacks. I'm often the short stack, of course, & I EXPECT the Big stacks to attack me. That's their job.     In one game last night, two of us had 10,000 chips between us, another guy had 1,300, & the shortie had 700 - with Blinds at 300-600. The two shorties folded, & the other big stack was Small Blind to my Big Blind. And he MADE UP THE SMALL BLIND! Why would he EVER do that, in a million years? A guy is sat there with One Big, another has 3 Bigs. Why would the other big stack EVER take me on?! In another game, again, 2 of us had 10,000 between us, & I tried to attack a shortie who had 2 bigs. (The other shortie, also with 2 Bigs, had folded). The shortie folded, but the other Big Stack called with abso garbage, no ace, 2, or King in his hand.  Why defend in such circumstances? Apart from anything else, a PLO8 hand without an A, 2 or K is not ever playable. We can RAISE with poo like that, to nick the Blinds, but we can NEVER call with that sort of stuff. The difference between hands we can RAISE with, & hands we can CALL with, is immense.   And that sort of thing is where much of my profit has come from, not from playing good poker, but just by "thinking".   Anyway, all very enjoyable.         
    Posted by Tikay10

nice work tikay! 
    keep it up.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Why dont sky put £16.50 and £22 in the lobby and see tikay cant hurt nowt  and im sure a few would fill every evening even more so if your sat at the table
    Posted by bluffulot6
    Hi Tony,

Unforch, it CAN hurt, or do damage, because what it may well do is spread the same liquidity wider. Sometimes, more means less. It's a shame, as you know I'd LOVE it to happen, but I'm pretty sure the Suits would say "no, it will just spead the same liquidity over more games".

If we really want bigger games in the PLO8 DYM format, it is in our hands, the players - we have to try & drive more traffic to the £5 & £11 versions. We can help do that by regging for them as soon as they spawn in the Lobby.

Last night was busy, & I quit early, around 9pm, but only 10 @ £11 ran in a 4 hour period on a very busy night. That number needs to treble (imo) before they would consider £16.50 & £22 versions, I suspect. 

I agree on the last bit though, if I sat in, it would attract more players. Players love a bit of valoooooooo.

• edited February 2015

February opening balance = £1,623.59*. (*Includes £24.05 Reward Points payment not yet received).

February 1st

£5.50, P18, W10 (55%)

£11, P10, W8 (80%)

Total - P28, W18 (64%)

Profit on Day = £51.00

Profit on Month = £51.00

Profit/Loss per game = £1.82

Balance* = £1,674.59  
  • edited February 2015

Oioi, heater time.

Won 8 from 10 @ £11, which was a monster night for me.

Few things are certain in poker, but we can rest assured that rate of return is unsustainable. I must have a variance overdraft now.

Played OK, but one of those sessions where everything just dropped nicely into place, most of my hands held, & I did not get outdrawn as much as I might reasonably expect.

The games were good, but the ranges were wayyyyyyyyy too wide. Lovely.

If it were a greyhound race, my February interim report might read.....

"Very fast away, early pace, well clear by 1st bend"

Shame it's an 8 bend race.

• edited February 2015

Family pot last night, flop came 10-3-3.

"I have the 3" says one guy in the chat box, he then bets, & everyone folds.

Poker players never cease to amaze me, in so many ways. You'd not think people would fall for that sort of thing, but they do.

The guy is a good player - VERY good - too. He does not need to do that to beat us fair & square.

Bleurgh.

February will be awkward for me, maunly due to UKPC, & 3 Shows, so not many sessions, but I'll play all this week, except Thursday, when I'm booked for the Show. Fingers crossed I can get a good weekend in, (including Friday) as they have Double Points all weekend. Yes please mister, yes please.     

• edited February 2015
    I hear you Mr t but at what point do the suites say Ok we will add more buying levels I'm sure even at the NLH tables the bigger buy in don't run that often 

But in sure some players don't as plo8 due to the fact the buying are so low for some of the sites regs
  • edited February 2015
    Same with plo heads up, not enough play it so they don't offer above £10.50 games. Having said that barely anyone plays Omaha heads up sit & gos yet you can register up to £52.50 games which is strange and if someone could explain that to me it would be much appreciated.
  • edited February 2015
    Same with plo heads up, not enough play it so they don't offer above £10.50 games. Having said that barely anyone plays Omaha heads up sit & gos yet you can register up to £52.50 games which is strange and if someone could explain that to me it would be much appreciated.
    Posted by Hotwheals
    No, I can't explain that Hotty.

Well I could, but I'd get in a whole heap of trouble if I did, lol.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : No, I can't explain that Hotty. Well I could, but I'd get in a whole heap of trouble if I did, lol.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Oooooo interesting, a conspiracy theory ;) where is poirot when he is needed.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oooooo interesting, a conspiracy theory ;) where is poirot when he is needed.
    Posted by Hotwheals
    Never mind that - don't forget there is a "Double Points" weekend starting on Friday (tomorrow) at 5pm.

Be there, or you'll be in trouble.

Am hoping there will be plenty of £11 games going, so we can boost the Reward Points, & I aim to play 3 big sessions on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.  

I don't actually know how these things work, but I assume if the game ENDS after 5pm tomorrow, we get Double Points? If so, I'll start playing at around 4.45pm.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Never mind that - don't forget there is a "Double Points" weekend starting on Friday (tomorrow) at 5pm. Be there, or you'll be in trouble. Am hoping there will be plenty of £11 games going, so we can boost the Reward Points, & I aim to play 3 big sessions on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.   I don't actually know how these things work, but I assume if the game ENDS after 5pm tomorrow, we get Double Points? If so, I'll start playing at around 4.45pm.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think you should reconsider and make that 4.59pm
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I think you should reconsider and make that 4.59pm
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Just be there, 4.45-ish, right?

BIG session planned tonight.

Can't remember the last time we had Double Points weekend for DYM's, & in February we have FOUR of them. And I have to miss the last 3 due to UKPC. BOO!

So, planning for three big sessions this weekend, if I could manage 250 x 2 Points each session, that'd be incred. Be quite handy if I could do so without losing money, too...... 

I'd best Update my numbers for this week before I start the Big Weekend. Just been treading water really, but I'll take that.

I'm neither hot nor cold right now, not in an upswing or a downswing, no swing, no swong. More sort of swang.

• edited February 2015

February opening balance = £1,623.59*. (*Includes £24.05 January Reward Points payment received Feb 6th)).

February 2nd

£5.50, P13, W7 (53%)

£11, P7, W3 (43%)

Total - P20, W10 (50%)

Profit/Loss on Day = £18.50

MONTH TO DATE

£5.50 P31, W17 = 55%

£11 P17 W11 = 65%

OVERALL P 48, W28 = 58%

Profit on Month = £32.50

Balance = £1,656.09
  • edited February 2015