You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2015

2015 Opening Balance = £1,520.48

20th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P22 W13

£11, P5 W3

Total = P27, W16, L11

Profit/Loss on day £14.00

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P 191, W109 (57%)

£11, P 55, W31 (56%)

Total, P271, W154, Game-Count 57%

Closing balance £1,571.54

Profit/Loss on Month £51.06

Profit/Loss per game = £0.19
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    When I Posted the line below, the Forum Software forced me to insert a space between the "P" & the "1"...... as without a space, it was prohibited. It's like they know I have a leak. £5.50, P 155 , W93 (60%)
    Posted by Tikay10

:)

60% still looks pretty good Tikay. Onwards and upwards!
  • edited January 2015
    When I Posted the line below, the Forum Software forced me to insert a space between the "P" & the "1"...... as without a space, it was prohibited. It's like they know I have a leak. £5.50, P 155 , W93 (60%)
    Posted by Tikay10

;)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Not finished yet. It may get better. Or worse. Only 1 more to do. You are right about the Community though. Did you ever see so much bickering, "digs" & general angst on what is supposed to be a place we come along to so that we can have a bit of fun, & relax?  It's very sad, imo. It's not restricted to this Forum, of course, it's the way things are these days, people behave very oddly Online, & quite different (& pleasant) in real life.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Getting more like a school playground every day !
    Used to like reading the forum posts in the mornings, but don't bother anymore, apart from this one obv :-)

Heaven knows what a new player must make of it all after hearing so much of the great community on the show.

Cutting down on the DYM's for a while and trying a few cheap PLO8 mtt's in the evenings, just for a change.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Not finished yet. It may get better. Or worse. Only 1 more to do. You are right about the Community though. Did you ever see so much bickering, "digs" & general angst on what is supposed to be a place we come along to so that we can have a bit of fun, & relax?  It's very sad, imo. It's not restricted to this Forum, of course, it's the way things are these days, people behave very oddly Online, & quite different (& pleasant) in real life.  
    Posted by Tikay10

• edited January 2015

So, yesterday's session.

After Monday's bloodbath, I was curiously nervous & lacking confidence. Which is pretty dumb, really. I've played the game for 15 years, can roll with the punches, handle them beats, & am playing £5 & £10 games from a £1,500+ roll, all of which I won playing these DYM's. And yet, one bad night & my head is in tatters. It's ridic, really.

Anyway, it went ok-ish, & I turned a small profit, so that felt better. In fact, as the session went on, I felt more & more confident, & the cards seem to start falling nicely, too. I do need to improve a few things though, the results are just not good enough.

My last session tonight for a few days. Doing the Show tomorrow, am unavailable Friday & Saturday, & might just play the UKIPT PLO @ The Hippodrome on Sunday. Lol @ me fretting about £5 DYM's, then considering playing a £220 Live Event stuffed full of Pros & Grinders. I must be mad. 

Will play again on Monday, do the Show on Tuesday, then maybe play the GUKPT 4/5/6 PLO @ The Vic on Thursday which is a £165 Single Re-Entry, so will play a bit fast early. That'll be another £330 then.

I've not played "Live" for months, & I miss the feel of riffling chips, & the "snap-snap-snap" or real playing cards.

Meanwhile, I'll have a little fret about tonight's £5 & £10 DYM's.

Epic scenes, it's complete madness. 

• edited January 2015
    good luck tikay sure you'll crush
  • edited January 2015

Thanks lads, appreciate the Posts, never realised anyone still read this Diary.

Anyway......

"_kagawa" has been playing some of the PLO8 jobbies, he's a cracking lad, very amiable & pleasant, & has a great game. Think he's usually a HU player, but good to see him here.

Another player joined us late last week, too, new to Sky Poker I think. Won't name him, as we have not spoke (he does not respond in the chat-box) so it's a bit indiscrete to give the game away.

He was a bit wobbly at first, but since then he has battered the Tables. He must be winning close to 70% of his games.

And he does everything just right, never ever limps beyond Level 3 or 4, & his ranges are impeccable. Very hard to beat, & another welcome addition.

The more of these guys the better, imo. 

"Eon", the oldest player on Sky Poker, has been in amazing form, too, might just br the most improved PLO8 player on Sky Poker in the last year.

Even MOTHER has been beating the Tables up.

All good to see. Except MOTHER, obv.   

• edited January 2015
    Glad you are playing tonight Mr. K
    Inbetween pouring Calamine lotion over my head, I might just try to find the time to play properly and get right on your wick!
  • edited January 2015

Nice to see you posting again Tikay. Look forward to seeing you on the tables this evening.

Run well at the live events, not this evening obviously, I'd like to have a winning session!

I have sent you a pm on an unrelated matter rather than clog up your thread with such things.

Cheers

Tuney

• edited January 2015
    Glad you are playing tonight Mr. K Inbetween pouring Calamine lotion over my head, I might just try to find the time to play properly and get right on your wick!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Bring it on Lady Spite, bring it on!

Calamine lotion, there's a memory from my childhood.

I was allergic to all sorts of bites & stings, & was forever covered in calamine lotion.

I was 7 before I realised that it was not my natural skin colour.

Love pink, me.

• edited January 2015
    Nice to see you posting again Tikay. Look forward to seeing you on the tables this evening. Run well at the live events, not this evening obviously, I'd like to have a winning session! I have sent you a pm on an unrelated matter rather than clog up your thread with such things. Cheers Tuney
    Posted by Enut

Thanks Tuney,

Have replied.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Bring it on Lady Spite, bring it on! Calamine lotion, there's a memory from my childhood. I was allergic to all sorts of bites & stings, & was forever covered in calamine lotion. I was 7 before I realised that it was not my natural skin colour. Love pink, me.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Small typo there Mr K !

"I was 71 before I realised that it was not my natural skin colour".
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Tuney, Have replied.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay and I agree with your pm.

Onwards and upwards!
  • edited January 2015

Quick (welll not so quick) story about variance, as it seems topical right now.

A few kindly souls explained the "clusters" (of variance/luck) theory on here the other day.

I do a bit of betting. Not big, usually average £20 or £30, but make around 4% over a 4,000 bet size sample, so it does not cost me anything except time, I make a little bit of money, but mainly, I enjoy that betting buzz. Exactly what I enjoy aboiut poker actually, the buzz. There is a buzz every hand we are dealt, every street.

Anyway, SPT-Rich, aka Tighty, gives me most of my bets. (I never pick the bets). He is an abso genuis on NFL for example. (SPAM ALERT - he will be on the Super Bowl Betting Preview next Tuesday on 861, alongside Mr Ambo).

So, in last weeks Golf from Dubai, we were on Kaymer to win, at 14/1. Its a 4 day affair, so you get a nice long sweat for your money.

It was Televised Live, & was on Sky Sports on Sunday morning.

Kaymer was about 8 shots clear starting his final round, so I had 5 hours to cheer him, & my 14/1 bet, home.

He then birdied 4 of the first 5 holes. BOOMIO.

Soon, he was 1.01 on Betfair.

And then, somehow, he managed to implode, & lost the thing, not even pipped on the post, he effectively lost wth 2 holes to spare. Never mind, next case.

In the evening, I had Green Bay Packers to win the NFL "semi-Final" (Conference Final) to get into the Super Bowl.

4 long months ago, Tighty gave me Green Bay Packers, & we've sweated it every single week, huge fun. The Packers were huge dogs on Sunday, but no matter, we were EW. 

As a bonus, we had them to win the Super Bowl, too, also at fancy prices, 16/1 I seem to recall.

Finally, we had a little bet on "UNDER 45 points".

Remarkably, Packers took the lead early, increased it, increased it, & increased it again. Wowzer. They led after the 1st, 2nd & 3rd quarters, & were comfortably ahead with 3 minutes remaining. Once again, we had 14/1 about a 1.01 (1/100) shot on Betfair.

After a series of errors, bad errors, in the last 2 or 3 minutes, Packers managed to lose. 

So, in ONE day, I had 2 x 14/1 shots, both trading @ 1.01, & both lost. Not something that we see very often, that, never mind happen to us. C'est la Vie. Both were EW, so I made a bit of money in both cases, but I left a bit on the table, too.....

But wait - I had that "UNDER 45 points" bet, too. The score at the end of regular time was.....22-22, so 44 points. BOOOOOOOMIO, we are out of it.

No no no. In NFL - unlike Football - "overtime" COUNTS for Total Points. And to win in Overtime, someone HAS to score. So the 44 point scoreline has to be exceeded. And so that bet went down the pan, too. 

Welcome to clusters.    

• edited January 2015
    mmmm honeynut clusters.
  • edited January 2015
    Feller has this all worked out on p. 325 of An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications, 3rd Edition, equation 7.11: qn∼1−px(r+1−rx)q⋅1xn+1 where qn is the probability of no success run of length r in n trials, p is the probability of success, q=1−p, and x is the root near 1 of 1−x+qprxr+1=0 *formulae don't paste well into the forum - best go to the source for the equations
    Posted by GELDY
    I would like to run some calcs in a spreadsheet, found the source but still stuck on the bold bit

• edited January 2015
    i use solver to calculate a value of x that zeroes the equation. You could do it iteratively i suppose but I'm happy using solver.  Start with an x at 1 or similar (ie result of previous solution) and it will always find the correct root. 
  • edited January 2015
    of course you could ask teeks how he did it longhand. Just get that calomine lotion ready for when he throws you into a bed of nettles. Where would we be today without calomine to soothe the journey. 

• edited January 2015
    my bad
    it really is calamine
    could have sworn it was calomine :-(
  • edited January 2015
    Stevie Wonder and Jack Nicklaus are in a bar. Nicklaus turns to Wonder and says, "How is the singing career going?"
    Stevie Wonder says, "Not too bad, the latest album has gone into the top 10, so all in all I think it is pretty good. By the way how is the golf."
    Nicklaus replies: "Not too bad, I am not winning as much as I used to but I'm still making a bit of money. I have some problems with my swing but I think I've got that right now."
    "I always find that when my swing goes wrong I need to stop playing for a while and think about it, then the next time I play it seems to be all right," says Stevie.
    "You play golf!?" asks Jack.
    Stevie says, "Yes, I have been playing for years."
    "But I thought you were blind; how can you play golf if you are blind?" Jack asks.
    " I get my caddie to stand in the middle of the fairway and he calls to me. I listen for the sound of his voice and play the ball towards him, then when I get to where the ball lands the caddie moves to the green or further down the fairway and again I play the ball towards his voice," explains Stevie.
    "But how do you putt?" Nicklaus wondered.
    "Well," says Stevie, "I get my caddie to lean down in front of the hole and call to me with his head on the ground and I just play the ball to the sound of his voice."
    Nicklaus says, "What is your handicap?"
    "Well, I play off scratch," Stevie assures Jack.
    Nicklaus is incredulous and says to Stevie, "We must play a game sometime."
    Wonder replies, "Well, people don't take me seriously so I only play for money, and I never play for less than $100,000 a hole."
    Nicklaus thinks it over and says, "OK, I'm up for that. When would you like to play?"

"I don't care - any night next week is OK with me."
  • edited January 2015
    Good start, you played well on the table I was on. Amazing how many times you get AA or KK though!
    Posted by FCHD
    nothing amazing about that hes employed by sky what do you expect
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : nothing amazing about that hes employed by sky what do you expect
    Posted by shepspaul
    Been complaining for over a year and still here!
    Jeez how many pages back did you find that?
    Too much time on your hands leads to the mind playing tricks.
    Get a hobby!!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Been complaining for over a year and still here! Jeez how many pages back did you find that? Too much time on your hands leads to the mind playing tricks. Get a hobby!!
    Posted by VespaPX
    Agree with you vespa totally, how can anybody worry or get upset playing poker in the 1st place but PL08 at this level or any level?
     I swear my 3rd hand ever playing PLo8 was 4 aces, which i know 4 of a kind in hand is bad but kept betting and won before show down.

Anyway sorry to go off what was going to be my original post......

I have been off work since the start of the year and have finally caught up on this thread from about page 42! in the last week or so! So hope you(vespa/mick) are well on target recovery from your accident which involved the head scaffolding,i hope tikay finally escapes the £1400 ish barrier that has held him back for a year, and i cant believe macagirl(Karen) with all the food talk hasn't convinced tikay of the calorific value and taste sensation that are twiglets! 

Oh, i also want to know if Macagirl like me also stocks up with twiglets at xmas? I have about 14 of those cylinder twiglet packs stored up from xmas offers of buy 1 get 1 free. 

Cheers Dave.

P.S Have played a few of the omaha tourneys and dyms and have won 1 mtt tourney and cashed the few dyms i have played.Good thread will play more regularly when back in work. 
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Agree with you vespa totally, how can anybody worry or get upset playing poker in the 1st place but PL08 at this level or any level?  I swear my 3rd hand ever playing PLo8 was 4 aces, which i know 4 of a kind in hand is bad but kept betting and won before show down. Anyway sorry to go off what was going to be my original post...... I have been off work since the start of the year and have finally caught up on this thread from about page 42! in the last week or so! So hope you(vespa/mick) are well on target recovery from your accident which involved the head scaffolding,i hope tikay finally escapes the £1400 ish barrier that has held him back for a year, and i cant believe macagirl(Karen) with all the food talk hasn't convinced tikay of the calorific value and taste sensation that are twiglets!  Oh, i also want to know if Macagirl like me also stocks up with twiglets at xmas? I have about 14 of those cylinder twiglet packs stored up from xmas offers of buy 1 get 1 free.  Cheers Dave. P.S Have played a few of the omaha tourneys and dyms and have won 1 mtt tourney and cashed the few dyms i have played.Good thread will play more regularly when back in work. 
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Cheers Dave
    All going well with my recovery thanks, can finally drive again!
    Treated myself to a new car yesterday :-)
    Good luck on the job front.
    Hope to see you at the tables soon.
    Mick
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Agree with you vespa totally, how can anybody worry or get upset playing poker in the 1st place but PL08 at this level or any level?  I swear my 3rd hand ever playing PLo8 was 4 aces, which i know 4 of a kind in hand is bad but kept betting and won before show down. Anyway sorry to go off what was going to be my original post...... I have been off work since the start of the year and have finally caught up on this thread from about page 42! in the last week or so! So hope you(vespa/mick) are well on target recovery from your accident which involved the head scaffolding,i hope tikay finally escapes the £1400 ish barrier that has held him back for a year, and i cant believe macagirl(Karen) with all the food talk hasn't convinced tikay of the calorific value and taste sensation that are twiglets!  Oh, i also want to know if Macagirl like me also stocks up with twiglets at xmas? I have about 14 of those cylinder twiglet packs stored up from xmas offers of buy 1 get 1 free.  Cheers Dave. P.S Have played a few of the omaha tourneys and dyms and have won 1 mtt tourney and cashed the few dyms i have played.Good thread will play more regularly when back in work. 
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Cheers Dave
    All going well with my recovery thanks, can finally drive again!
    Treated myself to a new car yesterday :-)
    Good luck on the job front.
    Hope to see you at the tables soon.
    Mick
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Cheers Dave All going well with my recovery thanks, can finally drive again! Treated myself to a new car yesterday :-) Good luck on the job front. Hope to see you at the tables soon. Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    other than the double vision?

o/w good to hear it glgl
  • edited January 2015
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Now we're talking!  Very sensible of you Dave, very sensible.
    With the exception of a couple of national disasters, I never run out of Twiglets. We usually get them by the boxful from a cash and carry, but I am prone to the odd supermarket panic multi-buy too.
    You can never have enough Twiglets. And clean Knickers.
  • edited January 2015

Was unable to play much the last week, what with work & other stuff, but I've had a few sessions, so I'd best Post some numbers & get up to date.