You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2015

2015 Opening Balance = £1,520.48

11th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P12 W7

£11, P5 W3

Total = P17, W10, L7

Profit/Loss on day £9.00

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P53, W33 (62%)

£11, P17, W12 (71%)

Total, P95, W59, Game-Count 62%

Closing balance £1,608.54

Profit/Loss on Month £88.10

Profit/Loss per game = £0.93
  • edited January 2015
    Bursting through the £1600 barrier for the first time!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Bursting through the £1600 barrier for the first time!
    Posted by FCHD
    Hi Barny,

Yes, it took me long enough!

I did not do any chest thumping, because on previous occasions, after breaking particular thresholds or resistance points, I then immediately went on a downswing, & it'd take a month to recover.

So, the downswing is expected....

I've been tweaking a few things in my game (again), which, so far, seem to be working.    

I've also, for the first time ever, just played £5.50 & £11 games the last few days. It's rare there is enough traffic at those levels, so I took it whilst I could.  

The games on Saturday seemed relatively easy, whereas yesterday, they seemed extremely tough, & there were very few value spots, so I upped stumps quite early.

How are you doing at the moment?

• edited January 2015

A lad typed this in the chatbox yesterday.....

"Oh God, playing these is so painful, & boring".

He had been having a bit of a general chunter all game. When we were 4 handed, it was all a bit tactical & tight, & so yeah, it was taking a while. None of us could afford to make an edgy call as the blinds were so big, & we all had level stacks. I found it quite enjoyable actually, but maybe I'm an odbod.

And he might have a point, too, I'll not argue with that, each to their own & everything.

Anyway, the game eventually ended, & guess what he did?

Yup, Registered for the next one.
  • edited January 2015

12th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P11 W8

£11, P4 W2

Total = P15, W10, L5

Profit/Loss on day £15.50

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P64, W41 (64%)

£11, P21, W14 (67%)

Total, P110, W69, Game-Count 63%

Closing balance £1,624.50

Profit/Loss on Month £103.60

Profit/Loss per game = £0.94
  • edited January 2015
    Your closing balance needs updating on last your post Tikay and very well done on the recent results ;-)
  • edited January 2015
    Your closing balance needs updating on last your post Tikay and very well done on the recent results ;-)
    Posted by a00rock
    Ooh, good spot, thank you, will edit it. Should be £1,624.04.

After being becalmed for months, I seem to be making progress now.

I'm still not sure if this is.....

1) Due to the tweaks I've made recently, which are a bit wider than just ranges. 

2) Variance. 

3) Playing better generally. We ALL think improved results are because we are playing better, of course, & bad results are because we are "running bad". The truth is probably a bit of both.

4) The (temporary) move to £5.50 & £11 games only.

5) Too small a sample size to make a judgement. This is certainly true. 

6) The presence in many of the games recently of one particulary bad player, which may be skewing my results. In a 6 player DYM, with 50% of the field being paid, one value spot can make a lot of difference.  

One thing which is definitely true is that, at the moment, I'm really enjoying my "new approach", and so, every day, I can't wait to start my session. "Enjoyment" is a much under-rated part of why we play the game, & is often taken for granted.   

As you can see, despite this only being relatively small ball, £10 or £20 per night either way, I'm a bit fixated with it all.

Sadly, I won't be playing much in February. I've just checked my Diary, & what with UKPC & other stuff, I'm unavailable 19 of the 28 days. Boo! 
  • edited January 2015
    teeks

I've got some bad news for you. 
    Your sky poker account has been hacked. 
    Someone using your tikay1 account was playing hilo dyms
    i know it wasn't you as he was paying all sorts of hands
    Hi only
    A2 only
    whatever. 

Maybe skypoker will let you change your login
    to ricorford2 perhaps

• edited January 2015
    And sorry teeks
    sitting to your right
    i have no intention of letting you limp into a pot

• edited January 2015
    Some great results over the past few days MR T  

I know seem to be getting the hang of these DYM  now  onwards and upwards in 2015 

• edited January 2015
    teeks I've got some bad news for you.  Your sky poker account has been hacked.  Someone using your tikay1 account was playing hilo dyms i know it wasn't you as he was paying all sorts of hands Hi only A2 only whatever.  Maybe skypoker will let you change your login to ricorford2 perhaps
    Posted by GELDY
    There is a player called ............TIKAYSUCKS !!!
  • edited January 2015
    Some great results over the past few days MR T   I know seem to be getting the hang of these DYM  now  onwards and upwards in 2015 
    Posted by bluffulot6
    Morning bluffy,

Thank you, & yes, I'm running pretty hot right now.

Great news that you are becoming a regular, I've enjoyed tussling with you the last few days, & I fancy you'll be a worthy addition to the Plopper Crew, especially as you seem to take the beats in good heart, like a proper grown up. In PLO8, there is no such thing as a bad beat, we just move on, "next case".

By way of introducing you to my friends in Team PLO8, Here's a post Bluffy made last Saturday, his first ever Post on SkyPoker Community.....

"football bet for today

under 2.5 goals

southend v plymouth

notts forest v sheff weds

wins for

birmingham

burton

newport

£15 WINS £373.27...."

Now, personally, whilst I do a good deal of Sports Betting, & make around 4% long term (over a 6,000 bet sample), I avoid "accas" like the plague, I'm a low-variance nit, & I don't like the added risk that accas bring.

But that bet DID get home, & returned over £370 for £15. BOOMIO! 

Welcome aboard bluffy, hope to see you tonight.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : There is a player called ............TIKAYSUCKS !!!
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha!, I know.

According to S/S, played one SNG 3 years ago, won it, & never been seen since. Proper hit & run job, that.  

There were far - FAR - worse "tikay" variants than that, but the powers that be deemed them so offensive that the names were changed to protect the "innocent". (?)

All part of the territory, I suppose.

• edited January 2015
    And sorry teeks sitting to your right i have no intention of letting you limp into a pot
    Posted by GELDY
    Morning Gelders,

Not sure what that means, to be honest. "sorry" for what?

I'm perfectly happy for you to serial raise all day & night, & I never once complain, you do my work for me! Give me a table of raisers over a table of stations all day & twice on Sunday please. We shared 3 games last night, & both cashed in all three. LIKE. I, obviously, adapt my strategy for you, I'm not one for banging heads together early doors unless I can help it. "Help yourself" sorta thing.

You were, as I noted in the chat box last night, rampant, & I was very happy to stay out of your way whilst you busted all & sundry.

Don't think I can ever recall being 4 handed when one player - you in this case - had over 9,000 chips.

Incred!

You are chameleon like, the way you can change your game style so frequently & successfully. Great to see, different is good.  
  • edited January 2015

13th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P6 W4

£11, P0 W0

Total = P6, W4, L2

Profit/Loss on day £7.00

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P70, W45 (64%)

£11, P21, W14 (67%)

Total, P116, W73, Game-Count 63%

Closing balance £1,631.04

Profit/Loss on Month £110.60

Profit/Loss per game = £0.95
  • edited January 2015

Very short session last night, as I had to, well, you know, walk the dog.

6 games, won 4, lost 2.

So just £7 profit.

"just"?

Well it equates to over a quid a game. If I could keep that win rate up (I can't), I could pack up work & play full time, be easy to play 1,000 games per month.

Then again....sample size. Sigh.

Quite an action packed session, too, with Geldy in full attack attack attack mode.

I so nearly won 5 from 6, which would make quite a difference, but I could just as easily have split the games 3-3 I suppose.

So that is 5 winning sessions on the bounce, & £80 of profit from them.

Time to pay my variance overdraft looms, so the winning run must be close to an end.

Whatever, I'll be back tonight, eager & hungry, & I don't plan to walk my dog tonight.

• edited January 2015
    Very short session last night, as I had to, well, you know, walk the dog. 6 games, won 4, lost 2.   So just £7 profit.   "just"? Well it equates to over a quid a game. If I could keep that win rate up (I can't), I could pack up work & play full time, be easy to play 1,000 games per month. Then again....sample size. Sigh. Quite an action packed session, too, with Geldy in full attack attack attack mode.   I so nearly won 5 from 6, which would make quite a difference, but I could just as easily have split the games 3-3 I suppose.   So that is 5 winning sessions on the bounce, & £80 of profit from them.   Time to pay my variance overdraft looms, so the winning run must be close to an end.   Whatever, I'll be back tonight, eager & hungry, & I don't plan to walk my dog tonight.   
    Posted by Tikay10

May join you later as i've just paid mine :-)
    Had a good start to the year but can't win a flip over the last few days.

Had my final CT scan this morning and just wearing a soft collar now, so on the mend.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Morning bluffy, Thank you, & yes, I'm running pretty hot right now. Great news that you are becoming a regular, I've enjoyed tussling with you the last few days, & I fancy you'll be a worthy addition to the Plopper Crew, especially as you seem to take the beats in good heart, like a proper grown up. In PLO8, there is no such thing as a bad beat, we just move on, "next case". By way of introducing you to my friends in Team PLO8, Here's a post Bluffy made last Saturday, his first ever Post on SkyPoker Community..... "football bet for today under 2.5 goals southend v plymouth notts forest v sheff weds wins for birmingham burton newport £15 WINS £373.27...." Now, personally, whilst I do a good deal of Sports Betting, & make around 4% long term (over a 6,000 bet sample), I avoid "accas" like the plague, I'm a low-variance nit, & I don't like the added risk that accas bring. But that bet DID get home, & returned over £370 for £15. BOOMIO!  Welcome aboard bluffy, hope to see you tonight.  
    Posted by Tikay10

I'll be there tonight mate 

teams picked for saturday already ...... accys  are the future  winning 3 of the last 4 going in.... 

£244
    £208 cashed out could have had £352
    £373 

so a great end and start to the year in the relentless battle against the bookies 

As for the beats you can stand there and stamp your feet but there are never going to go away looool so embrace it and move on to the next game 
  • edited January 2015
    You were, as I noted in the chat box last night, rampant , & I was very happy to stay out of your way whilst you busted all & sundry.   Don't think I can ever recall being 4 handed when one player - you in this case - had over 9,000 chips. Incred! You are chameleon like, the way you can change your game style so frequently & successfully. Great to see, different is good.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    yes it was fun, and thanks. 

can't chat much these days cos i'm either on my mobile, or playing too many types of game at the same time. 

meanwhile my new style now seems to be transfering to the hilo mtts. starting to get 1sts & 2nds more often and cashed in >50% of those played this year. long may it continue.
  • edited January 2015
    Good evening Tikay.

Dohhhh has started posting some interesting PLO hands in his diary if you have a moment.

I am no PLO expert - pretty much no expert at anything, but I love a good debate. Always helps to take the time to declare your thoughts on a hand and have others hit you with alternative views. I am even delighted when I am wrong as its a lot cheaper to change a view on a forum post than it is repeating the same mistake umpteen times on the tables.

I have invited him to try out a few PLO8 dyms - Geldy and Doh pot r/r war that would be fun.
  • edited January 2015
    Geldy and Doh pot r/r war that would be fun.
    Posted by Phantom66
    hah - we've had a few of those at NLHE cash - would be fun to try it at PLO8
  • edited January 2015
    Good evening Tikay. Dohhhh has started posting some interesting PLO hands in his diary if you have a moment. I am no PLO expert - pretty much no expert at anything, but I love a good debate. Always helps to take the time to declare your thoughts on a hand and have others hit you with alternative views. I am even delighted when I am wrong as its a lot cheaper to change a view on a forum post than it is repeating the same mistake umpteen times on the tables. I have invited him to try out a few PLO8 dyms - Geldy and Doh pot r/r war that would be fun.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Thanks Phantom.

I saw them, yes, I read his Diary every day, but I fear our views would not coincide very often.

I'll comment on a few of them later today.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : yes it was fun, and thanks.  can't chat much these days cos i'm either on my mobile, or playing too many types of game at the same time.  meanwhile my new style now seems to be transfering to the hilo mtts. starting to get 1sts & 2nds more often and cashed in >50% of those played this year. long may it continue.
    Posted by GELDY
    Excellent news. You don't mention "which" new style, you seem to have several.....;)

It's particularly true in PLO & PLO8 that IF you can build a stack early, you really can bully the table to bits. You almost always have reasonable equity, lots of spots you can't be worse than 40-60, so you can apply pressure, because for you, if you lose, it is a flesh wound, but fort the average or short stacked oppo, it's his Tournament life.    
  • edited January 2015

14th January.

£3.30, P0, W0

£5.50, P12 W7

£11, P4 W2

Total = P16, W9, L7

Profit/Loss on day £0.00

Month to date;

£3.30, P25, W14 (56%)

£5.50, P82, W52 (63%)

£11, P25, W16 (64%)

Total, P132, W82, Game-Count 62%

Closing balance £1,631.04

Profit/Loss on Month £110.60

Profit/Loss per game = £0.84
  • edited January 2015

The winning streak came to an end - but I never lost.

Incredibly, after investing £110 in 16 DYM's last night, I broke EXACTLY even, to the penny. 

Not ideal, but could have been worse.

The games seemed to be very tough last night, or it felt that way to me.

MOTHER was being outrageously disrespectful & lucky. Pfft.

We have a few interesting faces lately. Yammy has returned, as has _kagawa_ (very good), & "bluffulot6" has been very active, he's got a good game too.

Not seen "hotwheals" for a few days, hope he is ok, he has had some health issues. Fingers crossed.

I'd like to say I've missed MacacGirl, but I've not, so I can't.

• edited January 2015

A somewhat fortuitious win in one £11 affair.

The early stages had been a bit crash bang wallop, so I'd just sat & watched the carnage for a few Levels.

When the dust settled, the stacks were 4,000, 4,000, 3,000 & me with 1,000.

I maintained that stack for a few orbits by some well timed shoves, but nobody wanted to call me, so I could not get the double-up I needed.

And then, the daftest thing went off.

Mr 4,000 chips went to war with the other Mr 4,000 chips. Whilat I sat & watched with my 3 Bigs.

On the river, one shoved, the other dwelt for ages, then called with "2nd 2nd", neither of which was good, & so he busted.

Go figure.

Still, I'm not complaining......

I know one thing, if me & A N OTHER both have 4,000 when 4 handed, & someone has 1,000, I won't be going to war with 4,000 man. Why on earth would I?

Why do they do that?
  • edited January 2015
    Afternoon tikay,

really really starting to enjoy these games now still would'nt class myself has a top player at these games

played 7 games last night 

£11  played 3 won 3 

$5 played 4 won 1

£19.50 profit not bad hey for someone still leaning the game :)))))))

if i'm  still enjoying the games come feb may spend the month exclusively to plo8 MTT'S DYM CASH if every a games runs 
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Bluff,

Sat on a few tables with you now and enjoyed our little joust HU in a recent MTT.

There is a PLO8 MTT league organised by Hitman and Churchy, 4 events at different buy in on Thursday night (ie tonight ;-))

Come along and get involved

Neil

sorry to hijack your diary Tikay....when are you going to make another appearance or are you retiring after winning the first one?
  • edited January 2015
    The winning streak came to an end - but I never lost. Incredibly, after investing £110 in 16 DYM's last night, I broke EXACTLY even, to the penny.  Not ideal, but could have been worse.   The games seemed to be very tough last night, or it felt that way to me. MOTHER was being outrageously disrespectful & lucky. Pfft. We have a few interesting faces lately. Yammy has returned, as has _kagawa_ (very good), & "bluffulot6" has been very active, he's got a good game too. Not seen "hotwheals" for a few days, hope he is ok, he has had some health issues. Fingers crossed.   I'd like to say I've missed MacacGirl.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ah Thanks!
    I'll be back soon enough.
    Bit under the weather at the moment, I've only got Chicken Pox!
    I wouldn't wish it on anyone, the fever I had before the spots emerged, was without a doubt the worst I've ever had!