You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 23rd Played 23 games. £3.30, P7, W5, L2 £5.50, P8, W4, L4 £11, P7, W8, L3 Total for day, P23, W12, = 52% Reward Points on night= 146 (-4 on target) Opening balance £1,486.77 Closing balance £1,480.91 Profit/Loss on day = £5.86 Month To date £3.30 P321, W179, L142 (56%) £5.50 P196, W104, L92 (53%) £11.00 P102, W55, L47 (54%) TOTAL = P619, W338, L281 (55%) Reward Points = 2,970 (+120 on target) Profit Loss to date on Month £15.34
    Posted by Tikay10
    Line check !!

£11, P7, W8, L3
  • edited December 2014

So, some poor numbers there.

It was going so well, too. Won 10 of the first 15, & was £19 up & I was really going well.

And then........I lost 6 on the bounce, crash bang wallop, 3 @ £11 & 3 @ £5.50, before rescuing the last 2 games.

In truth, I played awfully, as I was all over the shop, quite embarrassing really.

Then the site issues arose, & so I lost track of everything.

Earlier, it had been a bit much for me to cope with PLO8 DYM's at the same time as playing that Xmas Cracker thing, doing 2 phone calls to the Show, & trying to chat with the lads who were after my Bounty in the Xmas Cracker.

The phone calls sound easy, & I suppose they are, but it's all a bit much for me when I'm 4 or 5 tabling. First I get, & have to reply to, an IM from the Producer, then the phone call comes in, & you get placed on hold for 5 minutes. During this time, I can listen to Lord Smirk in the Studio waffling, & need to prepare my own waffle. All the time, the tables are binging & bonging, & folks asking questions. I seem to have lost a bit of mental dexterity of late, & it flusters me a tad. And, of course, we don't get Sync breaks in DYM's anyway, though it's hardly an irritation. The real world is a bit tougher than that.

Cliffs; - excuses, excuses, excuses

Back for more punishment tonight. 

One good thing is that I'll make the 3,000 Reward Points with a bit to spare. Ship me the £45+.   
  • edited December 2014
    Quick question Tony.

Do you plan a nights play beforehand?

i.e.
    I will play x amount of £3 games, x amount of £5 games, x amount of £11 games.

Is it worth considering?

Edit
    I know its not always possible as its traffic dependant.

Also as an aside, how did you sleep last night knowing that there would be a few unhappy punters this morning?
    Don't know how you do it but all credit to you sir.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Line check !! £11, P7, W8, L3
    Posted by VespaPX
    Oops.

Edited now.

I'll edit the "subsequents" when I do tomorrow's Report.

It was a BAD night, lol.
  • edited December 2014
    Quick question Tony. Do you plan a nights play beforehand? i.e. I will play x amount of £3 games, x amount of £5 games, x amount of £11 games. Is it worth considering? Edit I know its not always possible as its traffic dependant. Also as an aside, how did you sleep last night knowing that there would be a few unhappy punters this morning? Don't know how you do it but all credit to you sir.
    Posted by VespaPX
    I wish I could plan like that, but there is not enoiugh trwffic to do so yet.

I'd happily have a £3 night, a £5 night & an £11 night. That would work better, as the players in each bracket are different, & I could judge their ranges better if I were only playing one level.

But this month;'s goal was to get 3,000 Reward Points, which required 20 nights @ 150 per night, so I had to play whatever was available to get my nightly 150.

Did I sleep OK, knowing the likely complaints & hoohah this morning? Nothing stops me sleeping, I'm afraid, but yeah, it really was a big disappointment to me personally, & I was quite down about it all last night. I'd just had a great run in the Xmas Cracker, was going well in my games, everything was fine & dandy, then, just ike that, it all went belly up.

I decided to stay off the Forum & deal with it all this morning, though I secretly hoped The Business would deal with it.

I got up at about 5.30 am, went & got a coffee & a paper, then opened the site, dreading what I'd see. It was not as bad as I feared, actually.

I intended to start it at about 7am, but then I saw threre was a scheduled oiutage for an hour, so I went & did my shopping up Tescos, then came back & got stuck in.

2 other poker matters (not Sky Poker matters, just poker) exercised me first thing this morning, too, & I wanted to deal with those, too. More on that later, maybe.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oops. Edited now. I'll edit the "subsequents" when I do tomorrow's Report. It was a BAD night, lol.
    Posted by Tikay10

May need new beads on your Abacus !
    Still not right :-)
  • edited December 2014

I played the Xmas Cracker thing last night.

I gave up NLH a while back, & only play it now when asked to do so, to support 861, or whatever. I'm hopeless at it, or think I am, though I've never been long on self-confidence.  

It does not help knowing that my mistakes will be shown on TV, & Lord Smirk & Ryan will be analysing my every play. There's no level 5 with me, I just sort of nit up, play position, & steal the blinds now & then. Early doors I pretty much sit out in fact.

Anyway, off we go, I say "hi & gl" to everyone, nice table in that respect. 

And I know straight away I've got a problem, as the kid to my left is very aggro, & good. ("poker75757").

And he starts pushing me around, lol. I find 8-8, & pop it up, he comes along, & I know he plans to get me off. Flop was 7-7-5, & I lead out, & he reraises me! I should have stuck it back in his eye, of course, but I might look really silly on TV, & I want, for pride & ego reasons, to do as well as the other "Guest" players, Channing, Thewy, Anna, Ross etc. And I have a phone-in scheduled for 9pm, Lord Smirk will rip me a new one if I'm out before that. 

I call (lol) his re-raise, the turn was a Q. He bullies me off, sigh. 

Then I found A-Qcc, & get looked up by a lad I know from PLO8, & I know he's a bit loose. Nice flop please.....

It came K high (ugh), but 2 clubs. Bet, raise, call.

Turn is another club, I have the abso nuts, & it all goes in. He has a decent king, no clubs, I'm doubled up, yay. As it happens, the River came a 4th club.

Oohh, now I have chips, & can calm down for a bit, & stop fretting.

Then I find J-J, pop it up, 3 callers, marv. 9 high flop, I c-Bet, they all fold like good little children. Phew.

Next orbit, J-J again, & I get re-popped this time. I 4 bet him - me, 4 betting! & he calls. We see an 8 high flop (how good do I run?) & I bet again, he folds. Some sort of Ace, I guess. 

Then I find K-K & get set in by A-9, but I hold.

I'm cooking now, so exciting!

Now I start nicking a few blinds, & calling the shorties when they jam. I was ahead every time, & held every time.

Late stages now. I take off with A-5, & get looked up by A-6, but I get a lucky chop. 

Then I find A-6 & run into A-7, lol. He hits his 7, but that gives me an unlikely straight & I bust him, too.

As you can gather, not much skill involved, just play my hands & see how it pans out. 

Aces now. Guy raised in front of me, I click it back, then a kid round the back shoves on me! I make the Hero Call, he has 7-7 & does not improve. I'm 4th of around 30 remaining now, happy days.

Meanwhile, I'm doing the phone-in to the Show, & juggling 4 PL)8 DYM's. The two games (NLH & PLO8) do NOT mix well, nor do the 2 formats (MTT late stages & shallow DYM's), & my head is getting in a bit of a tizz.

Anyway, I have 65k @ 2,000-4,000, so it's crash bang wallop time.

Lad jams on me, I have A-K, & make the call for 90% of my stack. Think that's standard. He has the dream match-up for me, KQ. This is for the chip lead.  

No queen, no queen, no queen I mutter.

And there was no queen. Even better, I flopped my ace, BOOM!

Only then did I click - the flop, without a queen, was A-J-10, & he'd flopped perfect.

The dream was over, & I exited a few hands later.

No idea where I finished, Sharkscope does not seem to have reported it. Think it was 20th or somewhere around there. 

Huge fun, really enjoyed it, & my adrenelin was racing, & I was buzzing, love the game.

Carried on for a bit with my DYM's, did another phone-in, & then the outage happened. 

It was like a balloon that had been burst, I went from a high to a low in seconds.

Silly really, it's only poker, but it does have an amazingly powerful effect on our minds.

Getting busted in unlikely fashion, losing 6 straight DYM's, (the pride hurts..), the site outage, bla bla. Deffo a game where you need a bit of mettle. But the real world is the thing that puts in it perspective, & a game of poker means nothing. 

Watched "Wild Scotland" on Nat Geo for an hour, then the U2 Documentary about Joshua Tree, & then went to bed, & read my book for an hour.

Awoke bright & early this morning, plum forgotten about the KQ affair, but decided I had best face the outage music.

And tonight, we get back on the poker bike, just like that, yesterday's memories all erased, hope springs anew.

What a great game, & life.        

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : May need new beads on your Abacus ! Still not right :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    Lol. I just don't have time to correct all the numbers.

As long as the closing balances are correct, really, in the long term, thats all that matters, though I do prefer the numbers to be accurate, obv.

If time permits, I'll have a proper look tomorrow.
  • edited December 2014
    Enjoyed your diary Tikay and hope you keep it going through 2015.

I've already wished you Merry Xmas three times but I don't think one more could hurt.  Merry Xmas!

Best Wishes,  

James
  • edited December 2014
    As always a gent .

Have a great holiday and thanks for all you have done between the suits and community .

Have a great new year
  • edited December 2014
    Had a couple of books for Xmas.

1. Moormans

2. 24/7 by Stewart Reuben... never heard of him, but i've had a quick flick and it looks like a few story's of his poker career.
    He does mention The Vic a lot and the characters he has come across... will you be in there??
  • edited December 2014
    Had a couple of books for Xmas. 1. Moormans 2. 24/7 by Stewart Reuben... never heard of him, but i've had a quick flick and it looks like a few story's of his poker career. He does mention The Vic a lot and the characters he has come across... will you be in there??
    Posted by VespaPX
    I would doubt that, I never played at The Vic for some 6 years, after they messed us (APAT) about with a Tourney we ran there. They could not have been less welcoming to my players, & I never forgave them for a long time.

I returned to The Vic a year or so ago for the first time since, & I must say, the place is much better now, although the Reception Staff are still very unfriendly & unwelcoming. Great cardroom  now, though.

Stewart Reuben? He's actually a Chess Grandmaster, very clever chap, & is on all the Chess Governing bodies. Has written numerous books on poker, including one on PLO, co-authored with Bob Ciaffone.

From what I hear, Stewart is a bit of a grumpy so & so, in common, I tend to find, with many old people.   
  • edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 24th

Played 26 games.

£3.30, P10, W2, L8

£5.50, P8, W3, L5

£11, P7, W3, L4

Total for day, P26, W8, = 31%

Reward Points on night= 150 (on target)

Opening balance £1,480.91

Closing balance £1,417.91

Profit/Loss on day = £63.00

Month To date

£3.30 P331, W181, L150 (55%)

£5.50 P204, W107, L97 (52%)

£11.00 P109, W58, L51 (53%)

TOTAL = P645, W346, L299 (54%)

Reward Points = 3,120 (+120 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £48.34
  • edited December 2014

No further words needed - this was how the session panned out.......

£5.50 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£3.30 WON

£5.50 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£5.50 WON

£11.00 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£5.50 LOST

£3.30 LOST

£11.00 LOST

£5.50 LOST

£11.00 LOST

£11.00 LOST

£5.50 LOST

£11.00 LOST

£11.00 WON

£5.50 WON

£11.00 WON

£5.50 WON

£11.00 WON

• edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 25th

Played 15 games.

£3.30, P3, W2, L1

£5.50, P6, W3, L3

£11, P6, W5, L1

Total for day, P15, W10, = 67%

Reward Points on night= 99 

Opening balance £1,417.91

Closing balance £1,451.01

Profit/Loss on day = £33.09

Month To date

£3.30 P334, W183, L151 (55%)

£5.50 P210, W110, L100 (52%)

£11.00 P115, W64, L52 (56%)

TOTAL = P660, W356, L304 (54%)

Reward Points = 3,219 (+219 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £10.25
  • edited December 2014

You ended the session in the middle of a 5 game winning streak??? :o

That's a big momentum sacrifice TK. 

You must've been very tired, the action must've been really slow, or you must've needed your monitor to 2-screen grind the test matches. 

Those are the only acceptable explanations :)

Good luck on the felt and in the bookies over the NY! 
  • edited December 2014

A short, profitable & most enjoyable session on Xmas Day, very grateful to repair half of the damage from the previous night's debacle. Cracking atmo on the Tables, everyone seemingly enjoying themselves.

No play today, & very little now for the rest of December, I'm about done, as I have some real-life stuff to attend to, so not much poker until New Years Day.

Will be playing UKOPS Everts tomorrow & Sunday, & doing Skype calls to the Studio, so may play a few PLO8 DYM's alongside those.

On Monday afternoon, there is a little UKOPS Omaha jobbie, which I may play. It starts at 2pm I think, so if I do play it, I'll probably play Rainman's £2.20 @ 2.20 alongside it. He is such a good man, & it's time I played that again.

Have a lovely Boxing Day, all of you. No poker for me today, just chilling, & watching the KG from Kempton. Would quite like to see Cue Card run well, but I don't have a strong fancy.    

• edited December 2014
    You ended the session in the middle of a 5 game winning streak??? :o That's a big momentum sacrifice TK.  You must've been very tired, the action must've been really slow, or you must've needed your monitor to 2-screen grind the test matches.  Those are the only acceptable explanations :) Good luck on the felt and in the bookies over the NY! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ha!

Thanks JJ.

Yes, bad timing, but the games just dried up, just as I found my winning mojo. I rather fancy myself as ther new "StickyRice" actually.....

I noted you were hoping Neil C would stick his KG thoughts up. He has already done so elsewhere (you know where to look, in his emporium), but fingers crossed he'll do so on here, too. He's staying with relatives, with a dodgy wifi, so it's not guaranteed.

Good luck to you, too.
  • edited December 2014
    No further words needed - this was how the session panned out....... £5.50 LOST £3.30 LOST £3.30 LOST £3.30 WON £5.50 LOST £3.30 LOST £3.30 LOST £3.30 LOST £3.30 LOST £3.30 LOST £5.50 WON £11.00 LOST £3.30 LOST £5.50 LOST £3.30 LOST £11.00 LOST £5.50 LOST £11.00 LOST £11.00 LOST £5.50 LOST £11.00 LOST £11.00 WON £5.50 WON £11.00 WON £5.50 WON £11.00 WON
    Posted by Tikay10
    I was at some of those losing streak tables and they were brutal Tikay. I know I and I suspect some of the other regs were literally cringing every time you got it in good as we knew it wouldn't hold!

I think I mentioned it at the time but I had a 14 game run going at about the time yours was ending that was the EXACT opposite. I had 9 wins (thought it was 8 but actually it was 9) in a row when I couldn't do anything wrong, and I certainly tried, including 'losing' one table for about 10 minutes and only finding it again when down to about 2 BB I think and still managing to cash.

That was then followed by 5 games when I just couldn't win. I ran pretty card dead and then, when I did get a hand, it would get beaten by classics like 799J. Oh the joy!

I finished with one win to break the sequence and didn't play on Christmas day so looking forward to hopefully playing some this evening.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I was at some of those losing streak tables and they were brutal Tikay. I know I and I suspect some of the other regs were literally cringing every time you got it in good as we knew it wouldn't hold! I think I mentioned it at the time but I had a 14 game run going at about the time yours was ending that was the EXACT opposite. I had 9 wins (thought it was 8 but actually it was 9) in a row when I couldn't do anything wrong, and I certainly tried, including 'losing' one table for about 10 minutes and only finding it again when down to about 2 BB I think and still managing to cash. That was then followed by 5 games when I just couldn't win. I ran pretty card dead and then, when I did get a hand, it would get beaten by classics like 799J. Oh the joy! I finished with one win to break the sequence and didn't play on Christmas day so looking forward to hopefully playing some this evening.
    Posted by Enut
    9 in a row? BOOMIO, well done Tuney.

My debacle 2 nights ago? Incred scenes, incred. 

I really don't wqnt to be one of those Diaries that are endlessly moaning, & posting hand after hand.

If I hold in this hand, I go on to win it sorta thing.

That's how poker works, it just is, groen-ups need to get used to it.

It was all rather comical though, time after time. I'm sure I made a few mistakes, but mostly I was getting it in good. As long as I play the hand sensibly, logically & correctly, I don't mind, variance will take care of me.

There was an £11er where there was a lad who, not to be rude, was not really a PLO8 player, & was just making some very odd plays with an eclectic range of hands. He was to my immediate right.

"I can catch this lad", I thought.

Folded to him in the SB, he pots it. I have A-A-2-K DS, BOOM.

In go the chips, & his 2-2-6-9 (!) gets the scoopio when it comes running sixes.

I had a beaut of a hand which fitted the flop perfectly against my mate Eon. He was (something like) A-2-6-9 v my all-broadway, & spades. Flop was all broadway, & 2 spades, I had top two, NFD, gutterball. How could I lose? Running nines did the job, next case. 

Amazingly powerful, this variance affair.

Yesterday was the bang opposite, for the first 12 games, I could not find a way to lose a game, it was a win-fest.

Love the sheer unpredictability of this game.  
  • edited December 2014
    Just dropping by to send my best wishes this festive season Tikay. Good luck in 2015! I'd love for you to 'grind' priority one month just for the 'lols' as the kids call them. Here's to a stellar year

• edited December 2014
    Been inspirational reading your "journey" this year.   Also enjoyed playing on your PLO8 tables.  I've learned a LOTT about poker this year but more about myself.

GL in 2015.
  • edited December 2014
    I would just like to wish you & the fellow ploppers a happy & healthy new year
  • edited January 2015

Thanks Pat, Pads & Tuney.

HNY to you & yours, too.

Have to say, I've really enjoyed my poker in 2014, & writing the Daily Updates, whilst often painful, & a little embarrassing, has definitely helped.

The main thing though is the feedback, replies & questions. Without those, I'd have stopped it a very long time ago.

I think these threads need a bit of balance, so, in 2015, I hope to tell a few more "tales from the Tables".

I saw a Post by Thewy the other day, about my (alleged) snoring. I'll start with a few tales around the travels & adventures Thewy & I had back in the day.

But first......I need to finalise my December, & 2014, numbers.

• edited January 2015
    Just dropping by to send my best wishes this festive season Tikay. Good luck in 2015! I'd love for you to 'grind' priority one month just for the 'lols' as the kids call them. Here's to a stellar year
    Posted by patwalshh
    You know what, Pat? I might just try & do that.

I'd have to move away from PLO8, as there is just not enough traffic, but I'm pretty sure I could make Priority (just once) if I put my mind to it. I'd probably knock my Bankroll in, getting there, mind.....

Be pretty neat for someone of my age to make Prio though, I reckon.

Yes, might just be tempted......

Won't be this month, & deffo not February, as I'll be up at DTD for the UKPC for over 2 weeks, but maybe March.   
  • edited January 2015

My final "Game Count" numbers for December were as follows.

My worst month in 2014, I fancy.

£3.30 P334, W183, L151 (55%)

£5.50 P210, W110, L100 (52%)

£11.00 P115, W64, L52 (56%)

TOTAL = P660, W356, L304 (54%)
  • edited January 2015

Since the last Daily Update (25th December), I've fiffed & faffed about, played a few Tourneys & some odds & ends, and as at COB 31st December, my Account Balance was £1,468.98, so I "made" around £16 along the way since 25th December.

That means my December profit was about a fiver. Incred scenes. 

In ADDITION, my Reward Points ended the month at 3,500, so we can add £52.50 to the month's P & L, meaning I end the month £58 up.

So, the opening balance in December was £1,462.26, & the closing balance £1,520.48.

So.....

Closing balance December 31st, 2014, was....

£1,520.48

• edited January 2015
    Tuesday 31st December Played 40 Won 25 Lost 15 Split.... £2.25 - Played 5, won 2, Lost 3 £5.50 - Played 30, won 20, lost 10 £11.00 - Played 5, won 3, Lost 2 PROFIT / LOSS on Day £29.00 PROFIT/ LOSS per game £0.73 REWARD POINTS = 213 BANKROLL at close of Play = £855.69 REWARD POINTS at close of play = 5,006 (= £100.12)
    Posted by Tikay10
    BUMPED.

That was my closing balance on December 31st, 2013. (£955.81 incl December 2013 Reward Points).

• edited January 2015

...and Finally.

So, my poker P & L for 2014 was.....

Operning Balance £955.81

Closing Balance, incl Reward Points due but not yet paid = £1,520.48

I have not Deposited or withdrawn in 2014, so......

2014 Profit = £565.29
  • edited January 2015

Not as good as I had hoped, but given how much fun I had, & friends I made at the Tables, that's a great freeroll really, & I am really pleased.

I think I ought to do better, but the fact is, my mental powers are declining with age, & I think I ought to be happy with that really. And I am.

Happy New Year to you all.