You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 16th

Played 29 games.

£3.30, P13, W4, L9

£5.50, P8, W2, L6

£11, P8, W5, L3

Total for day, P29, W11, = 38%

Reward Points on night= 159 (+9 on target)

Opening balance £1,501.27

Closing balance £1,470.37

Profit/Loss on day = £30.90

Month To date

£3.30 P237, W131, L106 (55%)

£5.50 P141, W71, L70 (50%)

£11.00 P61, W35, L26 (57%)

TOTAL = P438, W235, L203 (54%)

Reward Points = 2,028 (+78 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £3.70
  • edited December 2014

That was Tuesday's numbers, which were an embarrassment really, hard to imagine a worse night, & that was despite winning 5 of the last 6, including 2 @ £11, so it could well have been far worse.

I don't recall the detail, except I am sure I made a good few mistakes.

Strange, but every month I seem to throw a couple of nights like this into the mix, almost as if I am testing myself to see if I can recover. The difference between good numbers & bad numbers is very thin, & if I am not at the vey top of my game, the ink soon turns red. 

It almost always happen after I overcome a "bankroll barrier", too.

On Monday, I popped my head over the £1,500 mark for the first time, yay, easy game this.

A day later I am back in the mid to upper £1,400's.

It's a bumpy road, this one.

• edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 17th

Played 33 games.

£3.30, P16, W9, L7

£5.50, P11, W7, L4

£11, P6, W2, L4

Total for day, P33, W18, = 55%

Reward Points on night= 163 (+13 on target)

Opening balance £1,470.37

Closing balance £1,455.07

Profit/Loss on day = £15.30

Month To date

£3.30 P253, W140, L113 (55%)

£5.50 P152, W78, L74 (51%)

£11.00 P67, W37, L30 (55%)

TOTAL = P471, W253, L218 (54%)

Reward Points = 2,191 (+91 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £11.60
  • edited December 2014

...and so it continues, that's a loss of £45 in just 2 sessions.

The monthly figues include £40 profit from a PLO8 MTT, too, so they are even worse than they look.

A month ago I managed 67% (?) over 100 games in that Maca challenge, now I'm struggling to beat 55% over a far larger sample.

Variance, downswing, or no longer able to beat the game?

I'll blame the first 2, we all do, but it might just be the last-named.

Got slow-rolled, too, first time I can ever recall it in all the PLO8 DYM's I've played. It fascinates me rather than bothers me (& the chap had the decency to apologise after), but it just makes me think why people like to do that sort of thing, what perverse pleasure is in it? Takes all sorts I suppose.

I got given a rubdown in the chat box too, after I lost a hand where I made a perfectly good play. It's good to tell people if we think they made a mistake, but after they get busted is probsably not the nut time, lol.

That aside, the harder the challenge seems to get, the more I enjoy it.

I'm nicely ahead of my Reward Points target (at least I'm ahead in something this month, lol), and I plan a big weekend on the Tables,  fingers crossed might manage 3 x 300 Reward Points sessions. A bit of profit would come in handy, too.

See you later. It's amazing, all things considered, but it's 8 hours until I start, & I can't wait.
  • edited December 2014

You'll have to pardon me, I'm a bit tired & grumpy this morning, & I daresay I'll regret this, but it's been a testing week one way & another.

Around 10 times this week, here & elsewhere, I've seen minor poker matters described as an outrage. Maybe it's the new poker buzz-word, & we are all copying it?

"outrage

An act of extreme violence or viciousness:. 2. Something that is grossly offensive to decency, morality, or good taste: ..."

To me, THIS is what I'd call an outrage.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-17/students-shot-point-blank-one-by-one-in-pakistan-school-horror.html

OK, I got that off my chest.

And breathe......
  • edited December 2014
    Swings & Swongs eh Tony?

I'll be back on the DYM tables later after a pretty poor night on the FOSP mtt league thingys.
    Still trying to apapt to all the limping in the Mtt's, doing my head in a bit.
    Not sure if its right to follow suit and limp with the rest (in position) or get aggro!!
    Tried both with little success last night, either wiffed the flops or got outdrawn.

Anyway its nice to have a new challenge to get my head around.

See you later.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Swings & Swongs eh Tony? I'll be back on the DYM tables later after a pretty poor night on the FOSP mtt league thingys. Still trying to apapt to all the limping in the Mtt's, doing my head in a bit. Not sure if its right to follow suit and limp with the rest (in position) or get aggro!! Tried both with little success last night, either wiffed the flops or got outdrawn. Anyway its nice to have a new challenge to get my head around. See you later.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha, yes, them swings & swongs. What a wonderful game we play, both on the tables, & in our minds.

There must have been a 1,000 moments in my poker journey where I think to myself "I've got this game sussed". And 2,000 where I say "yikes, I can't beat this game".  

• edited December 2014
    Well said Tikay (your post about outrage).

Many off us (me included) can get all caught up in the poker thing and start thinking it is way too important. It isn't. If you are a professional player then yes it's your job but for the vast majority of us it's a hobby and if you are using correct bankroll management then no one game should hurt you too much.

The whole religion thing gets me, I struggle to think of anything in this world that causes more unnecessary death and suffering than people with radical religious views. Dangerous hypocrites, all of them. The killing of children is abhorrent no matter what your views.

Back to the poker, you were missed at the Omaha HiLo MTT thingies last night. Entertaining but very frustrating at times. Some of the hands that people are willing to call off big chunks of their stacks were staggering, especially in the smaller buy in ones. It's certainly a challenge. 
  • edited December 2014
    Swings & Swongs eh Tony? I'll be back on the DYM tables later after a pretty poor night on the FOSP mtt league thingys. Still trying to apapt to all the limping in the Mtt's, doing my head in a bit. Not sure if its right to follow suit and limp with the rest (in position) or get aggro!! Tried both with little success last night, either wiffed the flops or got outdrawn. Anyway its nice to have a new challenge to get my head around. See you later.
    Posted by VespaPX
    +1

I haven't got a clue what to do, my exit hand in one was, I think, A2Kx ds 4 bet pre flop leaving me with less than pot bet on the flop. I lost to 779J.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : +1 I haven't got a clue what to do, my exit hand in one was, I think, A2Kx ds 4 bet pre flop leaving me with less than pot bet on the flop. I lost to 779J.
    Posted by Enut
    Ouch ul

I think its called "Balancing their ranges" , or some other poker tech speak ! :-)
  • edited December 2014
    Well said Tikay (your post about outrage). Many off us (me included) can get all caught up in the poker thing and start thinking it is way too important. It isn't. If you are a professional player then yes it's your job but for the vast majority of us it's a hobby and if you are using correct bankroll management then no one game should hurt you too much. The whole religion thing gets me, I struggle to think of anything in this world that causes more unnecessary death and suffering than people with radical religious views. Dangerous hypocrites, all of them. The killing of children is abhorrent no matter what your views. Back to the poker, you were missed at the Omaha HiLo MTT thingies last night. Entertaining but very frustrating at times. Some of the hands that people are willing to call off big chunks of their stacks were staggering, especially in the smaller buy in ones. It's certainly a challenge. 
    Posted by Enut
    They shot the children methodically. One after the other, at point blank range. In the head. The kids saw the others being shot, & had a few moments before they were shot. Can you imagine their terror?

So yeah, I do get a bit miffed when I see us moaning about poker freerolls or whatever.

Move on, before I get really revved up. 

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes. When I return after a short break, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop, I can't help myself.   As you know, I missed much of November, but now my hunger for the game has re-doubled, & I'm making a few mistakes, so I need to calm down a bit. I called down a guy to the river last night just because I had a low-draw, though it did have several other improvers. They all missed, & I think it was maybe the worst play I have made in 2015.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay
    I was referring to the above.
    You have recently got days and months wrong so I thought you were being mischievous by putting that in.
    I know you like your little jokes.
    It seems I was wrong.
    You have just lost all track of time.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Tikay I was referring to the above. You have recently got days and months wrong so I thought you were being mischievous by putting that in. I know you like your little jokes. It seems I   was wrong. You have just lost all track of time.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Yikes.

Did I really type "2015".

Maybe I can see into the future.......

Honestly, & I'm not joking, I do think I'm losing the plot. It creeps up on you, you know, this senility thing.

• edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 19th

Played 34 games.

£3.30, P14, W7, L7

£5.50, P13, W7, L6

£11, P7, W5, L2

Total for day, P34, W19, = 56%

Reward Points on night= 177 (+27 on target)

Opening balance £1,455.07

Closing balance £1,472.37

Profit/Loss on day = £17.30

Month To date

£3.30 P267, W147, L120 (55%)

£5.50 P165, W85, L80 (52%)

£11.00 P74, W42, L32 (57%)

TOTAL = P505, W272, L233 (54%)

Reward Points = 2,368 (+118 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £5.70
  • edited December 2014

The long haul back to the summit of £1,500 began last night, & made some progress, turning a £17 profit.

It all came from winning 5 of 7 @ £11.

In the two I lost, quite remarkably, given my game style, I busted both in the very first orbit, in one case the very first hand. You know my hand in each case, of course, & I ran into KKQQ & AKJJ, both of which setted up. Not sure there is much I could have doie different in either case.

Some unpleasantness in the chat box, with Eon (& 2 others) all being described as a "c*** by one sore loser. Some people do get a bit serious about a fiver DYM. Guess the guy was playing beyond his bankroll, but it's really all rather childish, & if we get that uppity when we lose, we ought to quit. 

We were introduced to a hilarious rub-down merchant, too, who played THE worst selection of starting hands you ever saw but kept somehow getting there, & then taunting the rest of us. I 'scoped him, & he loses an average of £1 a game, so when he proudly announced "I'm crushing these, they will be my bread & butter from now on", I was rather pleased.

He also announced "I'm only learning the game so far" it was tempting to reply "yeah, we can see"......

He also informed us that the strength of his game was in bluffing. Good luck bluffing in a PLO8 DYM mate....

Most enjoyable evening, really.

There was an odd break in traffic mid-evening at around 8pm. Usually, once I get up to 6 Tables, it's 6 tables all the way, but I ran out of games mid-evenimng, only for them to suddenly start again half an hour later. 7 games @ £11 is good, no complaints there. 

Today there should be plenty of traffic tonight, as there is a SNG Promo, top 50 Reward Points earners all get £100 each, so, fingersd crossed, it will be busy, if so, I'll play a longer session. That hay has gotta be made while the sun is shining.

Have a restful & enjoyable wekend, whatever you may do.    

• edited December 2014
    PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 17th Played 33 games. £3.30, P16, W9, L7 £5.50, P11, W7, L4 £11, P6, W2, L4 Total for day, P33, W18, = 55% Reward Points on night= 163 (+13 on target) Opening balance £1,470.37 Closing balance £1,455.07 Profit/Loss on day = £15.30 Month To date £3.30 P253, W140, L113 (55%) £5.50 P152, W78, L74 (51%) £11.00 P67, W37, L30 (55%) TOTAL = P471, W253, L218 (54%) Reward Points = 2,191 (+91 on target) Profit Loss to date on Month £11.60
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay you had a profit overall of £3 odd on the 16th so the £11.60p should read as a loss (red) just sayin :-(
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Tikay you had a profit overall of £3 odd on the 16th so the £11.60p should read as a loss (red) just sayin :-(
    Posted by a00rock
    Oops.

Thanks Mr Rockity Rock, I'll go back & edit accordingly.

Cooking the books ftw.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Tikay you had a profit overall of £3 odd on the 16th so the £11.60p should read as a loss (red) just sayin :-(
    Posted by a00rock
    Ugh.

Changed that, & of course each days subsequent figures.

I'm even worse off than I thought, now.......
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ugh. Changed that, & of course each days subsequent figures. I'm even worse off than I thought, now.......
    Posted by Tikay10
    I noticed you overstated your profit one day in May by 60p, sorry I should have brought it to your attention earlier, can you please go back and alter all of your subsequent posts to reflect this?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I noticed you overstated your profit one day in May by 60p, sorry I should have brought it to your attention earlier, can you please go back and alter all of your subsequent posts to reflect this?
    Posted by Enut

I think you will find it was only 56p. That explains......nope, not going there, lol.
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Tikay,
    I have  e-mailed you two documents that should help my titanic problem  again I would gratful for any comments or advice
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Tikay, I have  e-mailed you two documents that should help my titanic problem  again I would gratful for any comments or advice
    Posted by JCG45
    Thanks Bud, I'll take a look when I am back in the Office, probably tomorrow.
  • edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 20th

Played 30 games.

£3.30, P17, W6, L11

£5.50, P6, W4, L2

£11, P7, W3, L4

Total for day, P30, W13, = 43%

Reward Points on night= 151 (+1 on target)

Opening balance £1,472.37

Closing balance £1,442.27

Profit/Loss on day = £30.10

Month To date

£3.30 P284, W153, L131 (54%)

£5.50 P171, W89, L82 (52%)

£11.00 P81, W45, L36 (56%)

TOTAL = P535, W285, L250 (53%)

Reward Points = 2,519 (+119 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £24.40
  • edited December 2014

Another testing night & I knocked in £30. These are happening too frequently to be variance, I fancy.

Good fun though, but not as much higher value traffic as I had hoped or expected.

I enjoyed extremes of fortunes, having really good hands busted way more than we might expect, but busting Aces myself a good few times, including with flopped quad nines, which caused a little comment in the chat box, fair to say.......(I had called a raise early doors in position with A-2-9-9 DS).

I also hit quad two's on another table 5 minutes later but that was only a choppity-chop. 

Played OK, but not great. 

In one of the £11ers, we were 4 handed at 300-600, & the chap to my right LIMPED into my BB every single hand. So I potted it every time. And he folded every hand. He was playing, on average, a 5 BB stack. Some things are really hard to understand.

Having said all that, it's tough to beat these guys, it really is. Amazingly beautiful game, is POL8.

Batteries recharged, enthusiasm-o-meter at the max, I'll be back tonight, hopes high, full of optimism that I'll get the lot. Possibly.

See you later.  

• edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 21st

Played 31 games.

£3.30, P17, W11, L6

£5.50, P8, W5, L3

£11, P6, W3, L3

Total for day, P31, W19, = 61%

Reward Points on night= 151 (+1 on target)

Opening balance £1,442.27

Closing balance £1,452.17

Profit/Loss on day = £9.90

Month To date

£3.30 P301, W164, L137 (54%)

£5.50 P179, W94, L85 (53%)

£11.00 P87, W48, L39 (55%)

TOTAL = P567, W306, L261 (54%)

Reward Points = 2,670 (+120 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £14.50
  • edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 22nd

Played 29 games.

£3.30, P13, W10, L3

£5.50, P9, W6, L3

£11, P7, W4, L3

Total for day, P29, W20, = 69%

Reward Points on night= 154 (+4 on target)

Opening balance £1,452.17

Closing balance £1,486.77

Profit/Loss on day = £34.60

Month To date

£3.30 P314, W174, L140 (55%)

£5.50 P188, W100, L88 (53%)

£11.00 P94, W52, L42 (55%)

TOTAL = P596, W326, L270 (55%)

Reward Points = 2,821 (+124 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £20.10
  • edited December 2014
    PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 22nd Played 29 games. £3.30, P13, W10, L3 £5.50, P9, W6, L3 £11, P7, W4, L3 Total for day, P29, W20, = 69% Reward Points on night= 154 (+4 on target) Opening balance £1,452.17 Closing balance £1,486.77 Profit/Loss on day = £34.60 Month To date £3.30 P314, W174, L140 (55%) £5.50 P188, W100, L88 (53%) £11.00 P94, W52, L42 (55%) TOTAL = P596, W326, L270 (55%) Reward Points = 2,821 (+124 on target) Profit Loss to date on Month £20.10
    Posted by Tikay10
    Nice one Tony - back on track.

Oh and humbugs all round :-)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Nice one Tony - back on track. Oh and humbugs all round :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick.

Yeah, been running good & playing better, with much more confidence too.

What has helped is a change in the table dynamics in some off the games. We have, as you know, a few serial limpers, limp with 'owt, call with 'owt. We all know that's bad, & they'll all do their dough, but I do find it quite hard to play against them. 

When in a big pot, I always try to figure what the Villain has, "assign a range" as the serious heads call it. But with these limpalong Larry's, it could, literally, be anything. 

I potted it pre last night & my man, as expected, came along - he never folds ANY hand - & I thought the J-10-8 flop was pretty decent for my A-2-J-J hand, & I could not fugure he had any or much of that. His Q-9-8-8 was good enough, though. Not sure how anyone can call a raise pre with Q-9-8-8, but they do, & it is tough to put them on even an approx range. 

But EvilPingu has been gracing us with his presence, & he's really a NLH player, so his ranges are not conventional, BUT, he plays the game beautifully, raise raise raise (or fold), & it's much easier to play these lads even though they put us under a lot of pressure.  He does my work for me, in truth, I just sit & watch him bust everyone. ;) 

We had another rare visitor last night - Greg Hogg! Great to see him, not seen him in an age.

• edited December 2014

Last night's numbers are all over the place, because if the "issues" the site had. I was in several DYM's when the site went walkabout, so it's a bit awkward to know exactly how I ended.

So for reporting purposes, I'll use my Sharkscpe stats for the session & closing balance as the "actual". I did try looking at "My Account" to seee what was what, but it made my eyes bleed trying to figure that page out.

I'll also have to include the £15 odd I won in the Xmas Cracker thing, as I have nowhere else to allocate that. Over the long term, it does not make a lot of difference one way or the other.

Was a most peculiar evening though, more on which shortly. Certainly was a bit different......

Anyway, first, the numbers.... 

• edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 23rd

Played 23 games.

£3.30, P7, W5, L2

£5.50, P8, W4, L4

£11, P8, W3, L5

Total for day, P23, W12, = 52%

Reward Points on night= 146 (-4 on target)

Opening balance £1,486.77

Closing balance £1,480.91

Profit/Loss on day = £5.86

Month To date

£3.30 P321, W179, L142 (56%)

£5.50 P196, W104, L92 (53%)

£11.00 P102, W55, L47 (54%)

TOTAL = P619, W338, L281 (55%)

Reward Points = 2,970 (+120 on target)

Profit Loss to date on Month £15.34