You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2014

Let's not forget, we want these types of play against us, because, over time, we must beat them.

Personally, I'd love to be able to help them to understand ranges, & the sort of hands which are playable, or not, simply because....

1) They will all go busto sooner or later.

2) Playing the game properly is so much more satisfying, so we end up with a bigger PLO8 playing pool. If that reduces our (perceived) edge, so be it.

• edited December 2014
    Agreed

I'm tempted to give advice in the chat box, but never sure how they will take it, so i just keep quiet.
  • edited December 2014
    I absolutely love it vesp! Never enjoyed it more.
    There's one particular player in the tournaments who will not fold to a raise pre-flop. As I find it impossible not to, I'm raising into him every time I can with a good hand. I wish I'd kept a proper track of his calls (never comes over the top) but at the moment, it's between 50 and 60. I'm going to reset that to 50 to be sure and try and reach a straight 100 with him!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I absolutely love it vesp! Never enjoyed it more. There's one particular player in the tournaments who will not fold to a raise pre-flop. As I find it impossible not to, I'm raising into him every time I can with a good hand. I wish I'd kept a proper track of his calls (never comes over the top) but at the moment, it's between 50 and 60. I'm going to reset that to 50 to be sure and try and reach a straight 100 with him!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    How many did you win?
  • edited December 2014
    Agreed I'm tempted to give advice in the chat box, but never sure how they will take it, so i just keep quiet.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Have to say, I agree, giving advice via the chat box, no matter how well-intended, tends to come across badly, unless specifically asked to do so.
  • edited December 2014
    More than I've lost vesp, because I'll c-bet if I've missed or not. Only time I won't c-bet is when the flop comes 79J, those type of hands. You know then you are invariably losing as they've hit a set, 2 pair or a straight, or drawing to straight and they ain't folding.

I was on the receiving end of a lovely chat-box comment yesterday. I flopped the nut lo and top 2 pair, so I pot pot pot 
    Opponent had a bag of spanners (789 type hand) and turned a straight, so ultimately I just chop.
    Comment to me?
    "A2 Mong!"

• edited December 2014
    I absolutely love it vesp! Never enjoyed it more. There's one particular player in the tournaments who will not fold to a raise pre-flop. As I find it impossible not to, I'm raising into him every time I can with a good hand. I wish I'd kept a proper track of his calls (never comes over the top) but at the moment, it's between 50 and 60. I'm going to reset that to 50 to be sure and try and reach a straight 100 with him!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    There are 2 DYM regulars - both lovely chaps - who limp, or flat-call, EVERY SINGLE HAND of DYM's. It does not matter what action takes place before it gets to them, or their stack size. CALL. They'll call a 5 Bigs raise out of a 6 Bigs stack, too.

And no matter how bad that is, it makes you really concentrate, because you have to be able to read flop textures in these spots so that you can c-bet, whether we have hit the flop or not. AS a general rule, the "peelers" are on some sort of low draw, almost never a High Only draw. So a K-Q-8 flop means we can easily bet again, & generally TID.

As poker players, of course, we are supposed, when facing resistance, to assign a range to our opponent.

I can assign ranges to most profitable players, but I can't even guess at the serial callers & peelers likely hands, except that it is almost certainly a low draw.

It's huge fun trying to find the best ways to play these different spots.

• edited December 2014
    You missed a starting hand in your range Macacgirl

Any double suited hand.

Got notes on one player who will literally play ANY 2 ds cards, limp or calling a pot raise doesnt matter

9955ds

Q973ds

its all good
  • edited December 2014
    I know what you mean Phantom and I know who you mean!
    It's a funny old game some times!

Just had a wonderful thought, can you imagine what the games would be like if Sky brought in the 5 or 6 card Omaha variants!
  • edited December 2014
    I know what you mean Phantom and I know who you mean! It's a funny old game some times! Just had a wonderful thought, can you imagine what the games would be like if Sky brought in the 5 or 6 card Omaha variants!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    5 or 6? please no - that thought is worse than TKs head on a sexy elf body (well not quite worse)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : 5 or 6? please no - that thought is worse than TKs head on a sexy elf body (well not quite worse)
    Posted by Phantom66
    I had occasion recently to end up "Heads Up" in a 6 card PLO8 MTT, in "Live" Poker.

This was a new experience for me, never happened before.

I mean, really, even for Nitty Mc Nit like me, there is just about no hand that you should or can fold pre when Heads Up in 6 Card PLO8. We were playing pretty deep, too.  

It was incred. I lost, obv.

• edited December 2014

I wonder how long a DYM would take to finish if it were No Limit.
    6 Card, NLO8!
    Given right players, I'd guess 4 minutes would be the average.

Sky! Get on the case. It's a cash cow for you waiting to happen!
    Heck, there's just about enough cards to make it 7 card NLO8.
    That should bring the average game time down by another 90 seconds, to a nice trim 2 and a half minutes

• edited December 2014
    "Hotwheals" returned to the £11 PLO8 DYM's last night after a lengthy absence, & promptly won all 5 games @ £11, which takes a bit of doing I'd say.    He has such a great game, everything he does makes sense, & is technically correct. I doubt many PLO8 players on Sky Poker are as profitable as he is, & certainly, from what I've seen, nonr play the game so well. His strategy is so, so, simple, but so so good. Essentially, it's all about starting hand ranges, & he has them completely sussed. Play good starting hands &, over time, you'lll win, play bad starting hands & eventually you'll knock it all in, it's that simple. Anyway, I welcomed him back, & he told me had had been very unwell lately - firstly he had a heart attack, & then a cancer scare (test results awaited). You probably know that his alias is because he has a wheelchair, or so I understand. Just wanted to say, if he is reading this, very best of luck with those tests, & hope all is soon well again. Top, top, bloke.
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks mate :)

• edited December 2014
    I missed TKs post, what with my current fun regarding daft starting hand ranges.

All the best Hotwheals, positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

xx
  • edited December 2014
    @Hottie

Welcome back to the forum and the tables even though that has just put a dent in my EV on PLO8.

WP in the Sunday roller too.

Wishing some rungood on those test results
  • edited December 2014
    I missed TKs post, what with my current fun regarding daft starting hand ranges. All the best Hotwheals, positive thoughts, positive thoughts. xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Thanks Macacgirl and phontom66 :)
  • edited December 2014
    c'mon Hottie
    was trying to think of something deep to say but not very good at these things
    so i'll just say glgl
  • edited December 2014
    c'mon Hottie was trying to think of something deep to say but not very good at these things so i'll just say glgl
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks GELDY :)
  • edited December 2014
    May I add my best wishes to hot wheals,and fingers crossed for good news with the test results.
  • edited December 2014
    You missed a starting hand in your range Macacgirl Any double suited hand. Got notes on one player who will literally play ANY 2 ds cards, limp or calling a pot raise doesnt matter 9955ds Q973ds its all good
    Posted by Phantom66
    Wow you have posted my list of best starting hands! I'm rumbled ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Hi all, just wanted to let you know that tonight will be my last night at the tables until the New Year, I'm off to the sun for two weeks!!

Please treat Mr K with the respect at the tables that he deserves!!

Have a great festive season, and i wish you all health and happiness for 2015

Best wishes

Mother

xxx
  • edited December 2014
    May I add my best wishes to hot wheals,and fingers crossed for good news with the test results.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Thanks mate :)

• edited December 2014
    Hi all, just wanted to let you know that tonight will be my last night at the tables until the New Year, I'm off to the sun for two weeks!! Please treat Mr K with the respect at the tables that he deserves!! Have a great festive season, and i wish you all health and happiness for 2015 Best wishes Mother xxx
    Posted by Amarie
    Have a good one Anne
    See you in the New year x
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Tony
    I have not played much recently but when I have I have played badly and coupled with a very small amount of run bad I have run up a rather impressive loss in a short space of time. That was until tonight........ I was not picking on you , I know you know that , but playing two £11 games I got the cards at the right times and knocked you out of both.
    Do you think you need to play regularly to play optimally? I have found myself too eager to play and have ended up in hands when I know I should not be in them. Inevitably that ends up in pain financially.
    I have also noted a depressing lack of chat, especially in regards to your favorite time of year,carols and party foods.
    I myself love the festive period and will be spending a lot of time with family so am unsure how much I will be able to play.
    May I take this opportunity to wish you and all ploppers a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and enjoyable poker playing New Year
    Nick
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Tony I have not played much recently but when I have I have played badly and coupled with a very small amount of run bad I have run up a rather impressive loss in a short space of time. That was until tonight........ I was not picking on you , I know you know that , but playing two £11 games I got the cards at the right times and knocked you out of both. Do you think you need to play regularly to play optimally? I have found myself too eager to play and have ended up in hands when I know I should not be in them. Inevitably that ends up in pain financially. I have also noted a depressing lack of chat, especially in regards to your favorite time of year,carols and party foods. I myself love the festive period and will be spending a lot of time with family so am unsure how much I will be able to play. May I take this opportunity to wish you and all ploppers a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and enjoyable poker playing New Year Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    BOOMIO!

In the one where you had the Aces, I'm not sure I should have done the old 4 bet - generally, I try to avoid confrontation with good players, who understand ranges, until the Blinds are big & we are obliged to take our chance. Thing is, when I 4 bet, you are the sort of guy who is good enough to fold, as you have on many occasions. It just happens you had the absolutes this time. Think my hand was something like A-Q-2-5 or similar. If the Blinds were 150-300 or bigger, I'm never folding that unless facing a 4 bet before it gets to me. (The Blinds were much smaller on this occasion). Think, perhaps, I should have let go this time. 

It's a minor inconvenience ("outrage" is the current poker-speak) that the Table closes so quickly after we go busto, as it takes me a while to untick "Hide Full Tables", find the particular game, & then load the table again to say "wp, good luck", but I did do so last night, hope you saw it.

Have a great Xmas & New Year Nick, & in 2015, I certainly hope you enjoy better health than in 2014.

I love seeing how much your game has improved in 2014, I really do.   

• edited December 2014
    Hi Tony I have not played much recently but when I have I have played badly and coupled with a very small amount of run bad I have run up a rather impressive loss in a short space of time. That was until tonight........ I was not picking on you , I know you know that , but playing two £11 games I got the cards at the right times and knocked you out of both. Do you think you need to play regularly to play optimally? I have found myself too eager to play and have ended up in hands when I know I should not be in them. Inevitably that ends up in pain financially. I have also noted a depressing lack of chat, especially in regards to your favorite time of year,carols and party foods. I myself love the festive period and will be spending a lot of time with family so am unsure how much I will be able to play. May I take this opportunity to wish you and all ploppers a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and enjoyable poker playing New Year Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Yes.

When I return after a short break, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop, I can't help myself.

As you know, I missed much of November, but now my hunger for the game has re-doubled, & I'm making a few mistakes, so I need to calm down a bit.

I called down a guy to the river last night just because I had a low-draw, though it did have several other improvers. They all missed, & I think it was maybe the worst play I have made in 2015. 

• edited December 2014
    Hi all, just wanted to let you know that tonight will be my last night at the tables until the New Year, I'm off to the sun for two weeks!! Please treat Mr K with the respect at the tables that he deserves!! Have a great festive season, and i wish you all health and happiness for 2015 Best wishes Mother xxx
    Posted by Amarie
    Have a lovely break Mother, your Blinds will be much missed.
  • edited December 2014

Apologies Mother, I mean't YOU will be much missed. As well as your Blinds.
  • edited December 2014

Come on now Tikay, you are just doing it to test us now.
  • edited December 2014
     Come on now Tikay, you are just doing it to test us now.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Morning Dragon.

I'm not at all sure what that means, but I'll take a stab in the dark.

Is it Vicky Coren related?