You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    November Summary I have added in my Reward Points cash (not received yet) of £8.29.   The numbers also include a small sum (£45 I think?) I won in the UKOPS Omaha Tourney, which sort of flatters the figures a bit. TOTAL for the Month, P161, W99, L62 , = 61.5% November Opening Balance - £1,342.65 Closing Balance = £1,465.76 Profit/Loss for November £123.11 Profit/Loss per game = £0.76  ( reduces to approx £0.50 per game after netting off the Omaha MTT)
    Posted by Tikay10
    As much as that?  ;-) Would have expected a LOT more surely?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : As much as that?  ;-) Would have expected a LOT more surely?
    Posted by Glenelg
    Ha, not wrong.

I usually get around £50 or £55, but I was indisposed for much of November, & when I returned, I was only able to manage small volume at first.

I'll try harder in December.  ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Coulda-shoulda-woulda..... Better night, though I was more than a shade unforch two lose 2 of the £11ers in comedy circumstances, which makes a monsta difference to the night's numbbers. Anyway, overall not too bad a night, & most enjoyable.
    Posted by Tikay10

I saw those beats possibly responsible for one (felt guilty for 4 seconds)

But the worst one was when your raise was called by the phenominal 7744.

They will lose in the long run I've noted that player and may go to war against him with 10 J 2 7 offsuited
  • edited December 2014
    sent you a pm when u have time tikay thanks in advance
  • edited December 2014
    sent you a pm when u have time tikay thanks in advance
    Posted by churchy18
    Thanks Churchy.

I'll reply tomorrow, mate. (ditto Old Eon).

I've only just got online, had some business to attend to today, so I've only just opened up the Community. Yuk, what is the matter with everyone today? It's all arguing & moaning, lol.

I can't be doing with it, so I'm going to log off, make a cup of tea, & then go play some PLO8 DYM's with my mates, you included I hope. I always feel better when I'm actually playing the game. Even better when Spite Lady is not involved, we are well rid of her imo.I'm gunning for MOTHER next.  

I did just want to share with you one thing which really tickled me last night, when we were sharing a table. 

You were given a gentle "rub" by a player, & you replied, quick as a flash, "I'm a winner just for knowing you, Dave.....".

That really WAS a new keyboard moment!

• edited December 2014
    Talking of rubs....
    Had one unintentional one from Ger last night.....

Hi Vesp did you enjoy your break?... !!!
  • edited December 2014
    Talking of rubs.... Had one unintentional one from Ger last night..... Hi Vesp did you enjoy your break?... !!!
    Posted by VespaPX
    i loved it
    thought you two must be well cool with each other for him to say that. 
    But no, apparently not, just confused. 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :  I saw those beats possibly responsible for one (felt guilty for 4 seconds) But the worst one was when your raise was called by the phenominal 7744. They will lose in the long run I've noted that player and may go to war against him with 10 J 2 7 offsuited
    Posted by eon1961
    This is only to be expected, it is after all nearly as good as 8833, which is one of the top 10 HiLo hands. 7744 even has str8 possibilities!
  • edited December 2014
    Talking of rubs.... Had one unintentional one from Ger last night..... Hi Vesp did you enjoy your break?... !!!
    Posted by VespaPX
    oh dear! but am i so very wrong to be laughing?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : oh dear! but am i so very wrong to be laughing?
    Posted by Amarie
    Its all cool

I did post i was taking a break from the tables for a couple of days. :-)
  • edited December 2014

I got in trouble last night from Mother, for not Updating this Diary thing. Fair cop, Guv.

Been quite a testing few weeks at work for me, one way & another. I don't have any power, authority, or even an ounce of sway, which is a bit of a blow to the ego I suppose, but I sort of carry messages & get to do various jobs.

The UKPC was one of the things which occupied much of my time, first the anouncement a few weeks ago, then yesterday, the news that the Guarantee had been doubled.

An unbelievable amount of detail goes into these things. Even little things like the Banners at DTD can be a right pain to sort. Sky Poker have new "Branding", so that has to be used. I bet 25 or 30 e-Mails in respect of the Banners alone have passed through me.

I met with Rob Yong again last week, to finalise details of structures & Sideys, & it was then that the Doubled Guarantee thing happened. Of course that changed all sorts of things, including T & C's.

And these things all go back & forth. Rob Yong will say "can Sky do this?", & Sky will say "can Rob do that?", & so it goes on. 

Anyway, it seems to work, somehow, & the first 2 UKPC's were both stunningly successfully. You won't see my name on any credits, but privately, I'm very proud of my role in it all, which stems from a long & close personal friendship with Rob Yong which pre-dates DTD by some time.

Hopefully, long after I am gone, the UKPC will thrive, & to me, it'll always have my name on it. It's very satisfying to help to create successful new things, even if only as an intermediary.
  • edited December 2014

The arrival of Neil Channing, the new Ambo, has been all jolly exciting too, & it involved me in a lot of little behind the scenes bits & bobs. All quite enjoyable, really. 

I've been good pals with Neil as long as I've been in poker, so it all worked nicely, really, and I've enjoyed my tiny role in helping induct him, assisting with Press Releases & the like.
  • edited December 2014
    The arrival of Neil Channing, the new Ambo, has been all jolly exciting too, & it involved me in a lot of little behind the scenes bits & bobs. All quite enjoyable, really.  I've been good pals with Neil as long as I've been in poker, so it all worked nicely, really, and I've enjoyed my tiny role in helping induct him, assisting with Press Releases & the like.
    Posted by Tikay10

Do yourself an injustice Tony.
    Lots of people on here still regard you as the main man.
    I think it is a perfect fit having Neil onboard though.
  • edited December 2014

Then, of course, on Thursday, the new Takeover thing was announced.

None of us underlings knew, of course, though there were tell-tale signs galore that something was in the offing.

861, which is part of my remit, are a satellite office, well away from the Leeds HQ, just 4 of us, & we share an office with Oddschecker, who are all decent lads. (+1 pretty young lady).

So Mr Big Suit came down to tell us the takeover situation on Thursday, & go through the itty-bitty.

The permanent staff are just Dan, Chan & Louis, with me as sort of part-time water carrier. The "Talent" are all freelance, of course.

All a bit unsettling in some ways. A feather or two was deffo rustled by opening up the Community first thing on Thursday & seeing a thread titled "RIP Sky Poker TV"!

It was not, I know, intended to catch a nerve, but trust me, it did, lol, especially as the lads are quite young & this sort of thing is bound to worry them. For the thousands (?) who read the Community, it was an interesting thread, nothing wrong with it, but for the 3 lads who have full time jobs there, well, as you can imagine, it pinched a bit. I must stress that the OP is a friend, & intended no harm, & he later added his view that he hoped all would work out just fine for them.

There was a comedy sidey to it all, too. We all have Swipe cards at Osterley, with which we gain entrance to the offices, & for some reason, they would not work on Thursday morning.

Swipe cards not working, "RIP 861" thread, new takeover, & the paranoi hit like a hammer, lol. (The Swipe Card reader turned out to be faulty).

Then I went home & could not access my Company Lappie - "ACCESS DENIED" it said, & boom, in comes the paranoi again. Anyway, minutes later it was working fine, & all was well. 

The human mind works in strange ways.  

• edited December 2014

Meanwhile, the Community has been particularly negative lately, with all sorts of angsty stuff everywhere.

I'm all a bit non-plussed as to why people are so negative about so many things, even stuff which does not affect them, or has anything to do with them.

For example, Sky Poker spend a 6 figure sum every year on Freerolls.

Because they are nice kind people, up in Sky Poker?

Abso not!

Well they may be nice, most of them are, actually, but Freerolls are part of how an Online Poker site works, it is an incredibly versatile tool of the trade, which can be, & is, used in all sorts of ways.

It has become a very sophisticated model, in fact. They can evaluate, with startling accuracy, how much "return" every single £ of Freeroll Money earns the Business.

Believe me, every single £ spent is measured for anticipated & actual return. They know EXACTLY how it works, as they would with access to so much data. There are staff up in Leeds who do nothing else except measure these things.

And so a thread started which made a lot of assumptions about a current, invite only, Freeroll.

Of those assumptions made, about 1%, if that, were correct. But what can you say? If you suggest that this Business knows better how to monetise the site, or that their assumptions are mostly incorrect, it sounds rather rude. But they do.

It's standard, of course, to say Sky Poker are a bunch of idiots who have no idea. That applies to any poker player & any site. (See Amaya/Stars).

But the brighter guys would have read on Thursday, for the very first time, (in all the "Takeover" news in the wider media) of the startling annual earnings growth of SB&G. They are simply stunning numbers, & Sky Poker, whilst a very small part of the whole, played their part in that spectacular growth. I doubt any other Online Poker Site can match the growth of Sky Poker in the last year. Most of them are in decline.

Do we really think that Sky Poker have no idea of how to organise a Freeroll, & the exact expected Ev?

It's quite bizarre when you think about it.

If we exprience a bumpy landing on a Ryanair flight, I doubt the passengers tell the Captain what he did wrong. Because they can't possibly second guess a qualified pilot with all the facts at his fingertips.

We - note "WE" - poker players are a strange bunch, fo sho.  
  • edited December 2014

Then we had the - to me - extraordinary "we MUST have sync breaks in Satellites" thread.

Wow oh wow.

I've spent a good deal of time in West & East Africa, in areas where there is no running water or sanitaton. None. Nothing, just a stinky fly-infested hole in the ground.

So when a poker player tells me it is intolerable not to have a wee break every hour, it maybe catches me a bit wrong.

Of course, it would be nice if Sky Poker showed more consistency in these things, I don't argue with that at all. They deffo SHOULD be more consistent, & it annoys me a bit, but often there is a logical reason which is not immediately apparent to us. It was, in fairness, not an unreasonable question.

It does make me realise what a toasty life we all lead these
    days though. Well, those of us in "modern world" countries. Best not think about the others, eh? 
  • edited December 2014
    And to top it all off...........

Its nearly Xmas !! :-))
  • edited December 2014

Oops, I'm on the old high horse this morning, lol.

OK, back to Poker.

Am playing a lot at the moment, it is a huge relaxation from me, away from all the constant moaning, aggro & stress.

And I'm smack in the middle of a monster downswing, lol.

Will update the figures later, but I'll be surprised if I'm not at least £70 down after 150 games in November. They are BADDDDDD numbers. I've been Jod'd so much this week, it's awesome this variance thing.

I'm getting it in good though, & downswings are part of this wonderful game we play, so I'll play through it, & enjoy the inevitable & eventual upswing that always follows. Eventually.

PS - I was 6 Tabling last night & got asked to discuss Sky Poker having a "Hand Replayer". Good question Sir, but when I'm on 6 Tables, do you really think I can do justice to a question like that? Yikes!

See you a bit later, think I need to lie down for an hour. ;)
  • edited December 2014
    And to top it all off........... Its nearly Xmas !! :-))
    Posted by VespaPX
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You really hqve tipped me over the edge now Mick.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You really hqve tipped me over the edge now Mick.
    Posted by Tikay10

Good

Have a nice weekend !
  • edited December 2014
    Then we had the - to me - extraordinary "we MUST have sync breaks in Satellites" thread. Wow oh wow. I've spent a good deal of time in West & East Africa, in areas where there is no running water or sanitaton. None. Nothing, just a stinky fly-infested hole in the ground. So when a poker player tells me it is intolerable not to have a wee break every hour, it maybe catches me a bit wrong.   Of course, it would be nice if Sky Poker showed more consistency in these things, I don't argue with that at all. They deffo SHOULD be more consistent, & it annoys me a bit, but often there is a logical reason which is not immediately apparent to us. It was, in fairness, not an unreasonable question.   It does make me realise what a toasty life we all lead these days though. Well, those of us in "modern world" countries. Best not think about the others, eh?  
    Posted by Tikay10

At least its on the same level eh?
  • edited December 2014
    Oops, I'm on the old high horse this morning, lol. OK, back to Poker.   Am playing a lot at the moment, it is a huge relaxation from me, away from all the constant moaning, aggro & stress.   And I'm smack in the middle of a monster downswing, lol. Will update the figures later, but I'll be surprised if I'm not at least £70 down after 150 games in November. They are BADDDDDD numbers. I've been Jod'd so much this week, it's awesome this variance thing. I'm getting it in good though, & downswings are part of this wonderful game we play, so I'll play through it, & enjoy the inevitable & eventual upswing that always follows. Eventually.   PS - I was 6 Tabling last night & got asked to discuss Sky Poker having a "Hand Replayer". Good question Sir, but when I'm on 6 Tables, do you really think I can do justice to a question like that? Yikes! See you a bit later, think I need to lie down for an hour. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    And what about this month?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : And what about this month?
    Posted by dragon1964

Oops!

Apols.

I wish it were November, I made about £140 I think.

December, so far, however, is a different matter.....
  • edited December 2014
    what tables do u play on and when
  • edited December 2014
    Oops, I'm on the old high horse this morning, lol. OK, back to Poker.   Am playing a lot at the moment, it is a huge relaxation from me, away from all the constant moaning, aggro & stress.   And I'm smack in the middle of a monster downswing, lol. Will update the figures later, but I'll be surprised if I'm not at least £70 down after 150 games in November. They are BADDDDDD numbers. I've been Jod'd so much this week, it's awesome this variance thing. I'm getting it in good though, & downswings are part of this wonderful game we play, so I'll play through it, & enjoy the inevitable & eventual upswing that always follows. Eventually.   PS - I was 6 Tabling last night & got asked to discuss Sky Poker having a "Hand Replayer". Good question Sir, but when I'm on 6 Tables, do you really think I can do justice to a question like that? Yikes! See you a bit later, think I need to lie down for an hour. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    a bit dissapointed here tikay what happened too my peanut vending machine and bar in the lobby?:@}

• edited December 2014
    what tables do u play on and when
    Posted by reeler
    Hi reeler.

I play PLO8 DYM's mostly, £3.30, £5.50 & £11, 5 or 6 at a time, & I play most nights.

Great bunch of players there, & they are always welcoming & friendly to strangers or newbies.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : a bit dissapointed here tikay what happened too my peanut vending machine and bar in the lobby?:@}
    Posted by churchy18
    Ha! Behave yerself Brian, please.

;)

PS - I'll try & join in, & drum up some support, for your PLO8 League.
  • edited December 2014

Guess I'd better do the daily numbers for December, which wont exactly make exciting reading, but numbers have no credibility if thery are not shown in full, so 6 sets of numbers to follow.

Look away now.
  • edited December 2014

PLO8 Advent Calendar, December 1st

Played 36 games.

£3.30, P22, W8, L14

£5.50, P11, W6, L5

£11, P3, W3, L0

Total for day, P36, W17, = 47%

Reward Points = 151 (+1 on target)

Opening balance £1,465.67

Closing balance £1,467.57

Profit/Loss on day = £1.90

• edited December 2014
    I imagine you had a good day yesterday Tikay I think you cashed at every table I played with you.

Well done

Ger