You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2014

October Final Summary, including Reward Points money

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 151 from 264 = 57%

£5.50, 82 from 157 = 52%

£11.00 27 from 44 - 61%

Played 464, W260 L204 (56%)

Reward Points money, 2,025 points = £20.25.

October Overall PROFIT/LOSS £95.95

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.21

Account Balance £1,342.65
  • edited November 2014
    Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly, hope things improve soon.  I'm hoping to get a few PLO8 games in over the next week so hope to see you at the tables.
  • edited November 2014

So, £95 profit, which is £0.21 per game, but just 56% of games won.

Hoped to do better than that, but overall I had 20 odd sessions of poker all of which I thoroughly enjoyed, & won just shy of £100, so deffo can't complain. To be paid £100 for 20 nights fun with my plopper friends can never be bad.

Good to get back to wining ways, to, after I had my first ever losing month in September.

Looks like I won't be able to voluntarily retire yet awhile then. But if they decide to retire me, well, who knows, I could play a lot more, & maybe earn £200 to £300 per month. Would not be the worst thing in the world, imo.

Love poker, love PLO8.  

• edited November 2014

Morning.

After a break, I resumed playing last night, so for completeness, I need to update the Results.

The "Account Balance" has increased slightly since I last played the PLO8 DYM's, as I played some UKOPS Satellites & the Omaha, & got a cash or two, so the DYM numbers don't quite tally, but the difference is pretty small, & overall I don't think it makes much difference.

I'm still pretty busy, so I doubt I'll get much volume in this month, but I should be able to manage 8 or 10 sessions.
  • edited November 2014

October Closing balance = £1,342.65

Current balance (before last night's session) = £1,415.28.

So I sort of start the November DYM's with £72.63 of "free" profit gained from non DYM play.

Bit awkward really, as my rule is always to report my Closing Balance, unadjusted, as an actual figure. 

So I've sort of "pinched" £73. ;) 
  • edited November 2014

17th November

£3.30, P4, W1, L3

£5.50, P3, W2, L1

£11,00, P1, W1, L0

TOTAL for the session, P8, W4, L4 = 50%

Opening Balance - £1,415.25

Closing Balance = £1,420.58

Profit/Loss for Session = £5.30

Profit/Loss for November £77.93
  • edited November 2014
    Welcome back, you've been missed.
  • edited November 2014

Was quite a relief to get my first session back out of the way, & make a small profit.

A few names I never recognized, including "the_hedge" who looked to be pretty useful.

Even though they are fairly small games, I was still nervous for the first hour until I "settled".

Nothing of note, really, though I threw away one £3 game when I had 4,500 4 handed due to un-necessary aggression. I could have folded pre, but my hand was half-decent & I sort of got myself a bit pot-stuck. Bad play really. 

I coolered poor Eon in an £11 game though. He potted it pre, I was in the BB with suited A-2-good-good (nut hearts) & I flatted. I have a weakness for suited aces with a deuce so I did not mind calling. 

Flop came all hearts, 5-8-9, well hello there....... 

I checked, pretty sure Eon was on the nut low too, & eventually it all went in on the river, & I three quartered Eon. Pure luck, no more, no less. Pretty much sat out from there in, & just maintained my stack, no aggro, no mistakes. 

There is a school of thought that says "big stack must be super-aggro", & that may be right, but it does not suit my game, so I just try & lock up.

Anyway, enjoyed it, & fingers crossed will be back online tonight.     

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Welcome back, you've been missed.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Thanks Karen.

I've missed it, too, but I've just been very busy of late, & a bit lacking in energy & oomph.

• edited November 2014
    Ooh you've been away, you've not been well? Had not noticed your absence at the tables at all, glad to hear you are on the mend and hope your missing oomph is not too far away, I'm sure you will find it somewhere around my big blind!!!

Mother

xxx
  • edited November 2014
    Ooh you've been away, you've not been well? Had not noticed your absence at the tables at all, glad to hear you are on the mend and hope your missing oomph is not too far away, I'm sure you will find it somewhere around my big blind!!! Mother xxx
    Posted by Amarie
    Thanks Mother, & worry not, I ALWAYS have enough oomph for your Big Blind.

Did you hear about Macac? Set me in when she had 8-8-3-3. And there was you & me thinking she could play, eh?

8-8-3-3!
  • edited November 2014

18th November

£3.30, P6, W5, L1

£5.50, P1, W0, L1

£11,00, P0, W0, L0

TOTAL for the session, P7, W5, L2 = 71%

TOTAL for the Month, P15, W9, L6, = 60%

Opening Balance - £1,420.58

Closing Balance = £1,425.38

Profit/Loss for Session = £4.80

Profit/Loss for November £82.73
  • edited November 2014

Another short session, as I try to ease my way back into the groove.

5 from 7 is OK, I ran well & played well, & when those 2 things coincide, then a winning session is inevitable. Especially the "run well" bit.....

Really enjoyable session, too, plenty of banter in the Chat Box, although Maca was being a pain with "interesting facts". Brings a whole new dimension to "interesting" & "fact". 

Sample Maca "Interesting Fact".

"Wrestler "Kendo Negasaki" founded the Harry Ramsden fish & chip restaurants".  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo_Nagasaki

In fact, the founder of Harry Ramsden was, remarkably, a chap named Harry Ramsden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Ramsden

She'll probably regale us with this story tonight.....

• edited November 2014
    Interesting fact #2.
    Bear Grylls, the survival chap got his nickname 'Bear' not from his military days, but from when he was a baby. He was born incredibly hairy, as hairy as a bear.
    As a child he had to undergo months of electrolysis treatment to remove the hair, yet the affectionate nickname has stuck.
  • edited November 2014
    Interesting fact #2. Bear Grylls, the survival chap got his nickname 'Bear' not from his military days, but from when he was a baby. He was born incredibly hairy, as hairy as a bear. As a child he had to undergo months of electrolysis treatment to remove the hair, yet the affectionate nickname has stuck.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

I can top that.

His three children are named Jesse, Marmaduke, & Huckleberry.

I've no idea if they are male or female though!

Bear was installed as Chief Scout at the age of 35, Lord Baden-Powell would have approved, I think. He is certainly a force for good.
  • edited November 2014

19th November

£3.30, P5, W4, L1

£5.50, P4, W3, L1

£11,00, P1, W1, L0

TOTAL for the session, P10, W8, L2 = 80
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P25, W17, L8, = 68%

Opening Balance - £1,425.38

Closing Balance = £1,449.78

Profit/Loss for Session = £24.50

Profit/Loss for November £107.23
  • edited November 2014

Great session last night, a clean sweep, winning at all 3 levels played, but of course a 10 game sample is meaningless.

THINK I played well, but I deffo ran well. We always think we play well when we win, & are unlucky when we lose, but the truth is, variance is such a fickle beast.

I bet I've played just as well on other occasions & lost 8 from 10.

Anyway, I seem to feel refreshed from my break, & I have changed a few things in my game, tweak tweak & all that. I've mostly changed my calling ranges. I loathe calling, I'm more of a bettor than a caller, always will be, but I've been burning equity by having a folding range that is too tight. I caught Macac well & truly at it 173 times last night, which deffo helped.

In 2 games (not involving Maca) I had extraordinary double ups or bust outs. 

In the first, I had the Aces, good ones, & matey Boy wanted to get it all in pre. He had K-10--10-9. I held.

In another, I've got the Aces again, & my man turned up with the Maca-tastic 9-7-7-3. He won, obv. 

What a great game this is, if we don't let beats get inside our little heads.

No poker for me tonight, I'm working, but I'll be back tomorrow, & hope to reach halfway in the 100 game challenge. I'm in good shape so far, what could possibly go wrong?

• edited November 2014

This isn't an "interesting fact" it's true. I met Bear and his wife at a military mess function. He was the guest speaker. Lovely guy, par for the course at these military things, Bear had a few drinkies and was doing standing backflips!

I'm at-it as you put it, because I find it almost impossible to play this properly anymore.
    I'm big enough to admit I'm left baffled by the calls/hands that are being played, so rather than think about it, I'm joining in! I know it's daft but I do find trying to win, less enjoyable than messing about.

• edited November 2014

Mac-At-It-Girl

Yup, that works for me.
  • edited November 2014

21st November

£3.30, P7, W6, L1

£5.50, P2, W2, L0

£11,00, P1, W0, L1

TOTAL for the session, P10, W8, L2 = 80
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P35, W25, L10, = 71%

Opening Balance - £1,449.78

Closing Balance = £1,460.68

Profit/Loss for Session = £10.90

Profit/Loss for November £118.13
  • edited November 2014

Proper heater this, won 8 from 10 for the 2nd session running, & have now won all 4 sessions played this month. THe problem with heaters is that they rarely last 5 sessions....

Anyway, am happy with the results at the mo, & I'll do well to turn a loss in November.

I monstered the £3's yesterday (6 from 7) & won both £5.50's, but wasted that by losing the only £11er that ran. Can't complain though, am running really good right now.

I maybe messed up the £11er by making a reshove too soon, though that is results orientated, as I lost the shove! I had a decent combo hand, & the deep stacked, serial opener had been opening every hand, & very wide indeed, but he had a corking combo this time, & had me completely wrapped up at both ends. Just one of those things, I think. 

In Maca's "Challenge" thing, I'm on 71% after completing 35% of the 100 games, but that's not sustainable for me, it's just not. On past experience, I'd be abso delighted to end the month with 60% won. 57% or 58% seems to be about my normal %.

So, 60% is the aim, & that will allow for variance to give me a slap round the chops after the current heater ends.

All good, enjoying my poker immensely.

Am never going to get rich winning £5 or £10 per day, but it sure beats losing, &, you know, it adds up over the weeks, months & years.     

• edited November 2014

22nd November

£3.30, P4, W3, L1

£5.50, P2, W1, L1

£11,00, P0, W0, L0

TOTAL for the session, P6, W4, L2 = 67
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P41, W29, L12, = 71%

Opening Balance - £1,460.68

Closing Balance = £1,464.48

Profit/Loss for Session = £3.80

Profit/Loss for November £121.93
  • edited November 2014

Another very short session, just 6 games. Had planned to play 20 or 30, but decided to de-reg after the first 6, as I was not feeling it. The idea was 60 games yesterday & today, so I could wrap up the 100 Game Challenge thing, but that's out of the window now, & will take a few more days to complete.

Still, 4 from 6 is not so bad. The profit was laughably small - £3.80 - but a profit is a profit, & that is now 5 winning sessions in a row, so I'm very very happy with that.
  • edited November 2014

23rd November

£3.30, P5, W3, L2

£5.50, P3, W2, L1

£11,00, P1, W1, L0

TOTAL for the session, P9, W6, L3 = 67
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P50, W35, L15, = 70%

Opening Balance - £1,464.48

Closing Balance = £1,478.48

Profit/Loss for Session = £14.00

Profit/Loss for November £135.93
  • edited November 2014

Another short session, just 9 games, won 6.

Threw away the very last game with a really weak, bad, play, which put me in a bad spot where I had to gamble, (fail)  on the exit hand.

That apart, in the other 8 games, I would not play a single hand differently.

Clean sweep, too, won @ all 3 Levels (£3.30, £5.50 & £11), & that makes it 6 winning sessions out of 6 in November.

Am still running embarrassingly well, but it'll turn soon enough.

In the very first game I got one-outered to leave me with 240 chips in Level One, but somehow scratched & fiddled my way to a rather fortunate win.

All good, though the downturn must be coming down the road any day now.

Great fun.
  • edited November 2014

24th November

£3.30, P7, W7, L0

£5.50, P2, W1, L1

£11,00, P1, W0, L1

TOTAL for the session, P10, W8, L2 =
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P60, W43, L17, = 72%

Opening Balance - £1,478.48

Closing Balance = £1,485.38

Profit/Loss for Session = £6.90

Profit/Loss for November £142.83
  • edited November 2014

BOOM!

Last night was my 7th winning session on the bounce, though the amounts won have been very small. It all adds up though. Can't beat a bit of run-good.

Bit bizarre to win 8 out of 10 @ £3.30, £5.50 & £11 & only win £7 quid though. Played 2 @ £5.50, broke even (after reg fee), but the key moment last night was losing the £11er, the only one I played.

We were 4 handed, jod67 had over 6,000 chips, & we three had around 2,000 each, so it was nip & tuck. 

Anyone who has played jod67 will know he is a bit of an unconventional player.....personally, I play very cagey against him, as he is unpredictable, & has his own ideas about starting hands. Very much a pre-flop "station", too, never ever folds, & bets every street. 

Anyway, jod had half the chips in play & was just potting it pre every hand, quite reasonably. (I'd have almost sat out in his spot, but thats another story). 

So, I find A-K-Q-2, DS, & I can never be in terrible shape here. Jod is SB & pots it, I was in the BB & so I went for it & re-potted. I knew he'd call, of course, so maybe an unwise play on my part. 

He showed up with the no-low-tastic Q-J-7-7! Yikes. Anyway, he flopped trip jacks, & turned quads for good meaure. GG me, & £11 down the swanee.  

I sort of thought afterwards I should have kept out of his way, but that's silly really. Just one of those things, but it produced a £20 negative swing on the night's numbers.

Anyway, I can't complain with the run-good I've had in November.

See you tonight.

• edited November 2014
    Hi Tikay Will these types of games ever be shown on 861 ? Reason i ask is because i read the diary quite alot but still havnt got the foggiest idea how to play it lol I understand how the high hand wins but dont understand how and when the low hand comes into play and which if any are the better to have GL
    Posted by gran23
    Gran!

I thought I never had any readers left, as I sort of abandoned the Diary whilst I was AWOL & unwell, & once you stop updating it daily, the readers melt away. So, thank you for posting, am pleased I still have at least one reader!

Will PLO8 ever be shown on 861?

No idea, but somehow, I'd not bet on it.

Every now & then they tell me they are working on a PLO "Console", which is needed to show the 4 card game, but then it goes all quiet again.

I saw a prototype of the PLO Console for 861 recently, it was quite good, but in PLO8, you need a LOT of graphics, & the screen gets a bit "crowded", so I'll be pleasantly surprised if PLO8 is ever shown on 861.

Shame really, it's such a lovely game.

If you want any tips on how to play PLO8, ask away, & I'll try to explain. It's a LOVELY game, it really is.  
  • edited November 2014
    I'm still peeping through the curtains and reading your fine bloggage most days, keep it up sir, most informative and entertaining. My pl08 score is summat like played 10 lost 20 ;) or so it seems, still most enjoyable game.

It does seem the starting hand ranges have varied quite dramatically, mind you I can be a bit "unpredictable" at times with my ranges. Makes it all the more interesting and keeps you on your toes ey.

I had a bit of a result in the other format last night, looks like the week off to rest is going to pay off :) dtd1, yet another deep stack cheap to enter with fine folk playing, and had a rail cheering us on at the end. Splendid stuff.
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Tikay Will these types of games ever be shown on 861 ? Reason i ask is because i read the diary quite alot but still havnt got the foggiest idea how to play it lol I understand how the high hand wins but dont understand how and when the low hand comes into play and which if any are the better to have GL
    Posted by gran23
    Hi gran

There is some good stuff in the poker school on this site

and Tikay started a PLO8 strategy thread in the clinic too.

In terms of a low... 

you need 5 cards 8 or under to make a lo hand

as with omaha you always have to play 2 of your own hole cards - the difference in this game being you can use any combination of your 4 to try and make a high and a low hand.

so there needs to be at least 3 different cards 8 or lower on the board, and you have to have 2 different low cards in your hand to have a low.

e.g. if board is KQ842 you have a low with A3 or even 57 in your hand - you dont if you have A2 (we could call that an orford low)

straights or flushes do not count in a low hand
    so A2345 is the nut low

If you read up on omaha starting hands and the advice threads and you have an understanding of dym dynamics then you should be ok (or at least not go broke).

I had no more than an understanding of the rules and a bit of dym experience and I (just about) hold my own - and I am definitely no expert. Just having fun learning the game.