You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2014

Some really great questions for me here, thank you very much, I'll reply to them all later this morning, I hope. I've got to do some "work" first, UKOPS & a bunch of other stuff, but I'll reply after I've done those.

I missed playing last night, as I went to the "Moormans Book of Poker" Book Launch up at The Vic, with a camera crew from Ch 861. Quite an evening! We interviewed Chris, & 8 or 9 other poker "faces".  I was told - told! - I had to do a "selfie" for Anna, too, so she could diss me on the Show. Can't wait......

(I actually got confused recently between a "selfie" & a "onesie", amazing how these new words gain currency so quickly).

The good news - not sure it has been officially announced - but Chris Moorman, "the man, the legend" as the kids say, will be appearing on a "Special" on Sky Poker NEXT THURSDAY, called "Moorman MasterClass".

We managed to get him to sign some copies of his book, too, which Sky Poker will give away as prizes. BOOMIO!

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I have not forgotten the questions, I love them, & will reply later.

It's so nice when the regular Ploppers come on here with questions & feedback.

I've been playing poker at at every level & format for 15 or 20 years now. I can honestly say, I've never enjoyed my poker more than I do at present, just small-ball stuff, but the regulars here are so much fun to play with, & I can't wait to get started every session. Best poker fun ever.

It was 10.30pm when I got back home last night, & I logged on to get my "fix", but there was very little traffic, so I gave up. Boo!

OK, I need to go sort out the UKOPS thread & some other stuff. BRB.
  • edited October 2014
    Since i could not chat a bit of outing myself! Tbf i was only blind stealing and then this (odds in brackets)nevr expected you in the pot then i had double suited and a good lo hand so just felt i had too call it!
    tikay1 Small blind   150.00 150.00 1707.50
    stanwasgod Big blind   300.00 450.00 1812.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q

Jangles594 Fold        
    churchy18isGOD Raise   1050.00 1500.00 1790.00
    bearace Fold        
    tikay1 All-in   1707.50 3207.50 0.00
    stanwasgod Fold        
    churchy18isGOD Call   807.50 4015.00 982.50
    tikay1 Show
    • Scoop: (45.25%)
    • 10 Hi: (59.92%0 Hi Tie: (6.81%)
    • 4 Lo: (32.08%) Lo Tie: (6.52%)
    • A

churchy18isGOD Show
    • 4 Scoop: (19.90%)
    • Q Hi: 33.27%) Hi Tie: (6.81%)
    • 2 Lo: 14.79%) Lo Tie: (6.52%)

Flop

Turn

• A

River

churchy18isGOD Win high Straight to the 6 2007.50   2990.00
    churchy18isGOD Win low 5-low 2007.50   4997.50
    you could have given my raise more respect in the 1st place so in my defense it was your own audacious reraise that got you in trouble  after all you know my fold button hardly works:@).......... seriously vul you know i just reinvest it anyway :@}
  • edited October 2014

I'm 2 days behind with my daily numbers, but I'll catch up on them later, or tomorrow, as I want to reply to a few of the questions first.

Been a bit distracted by other stuff the last few days, as the Community has been a bit hot!

For now, though, on Wednesday I lost £4.70, & last night I lost a whopping £34.20 over 39 games. Details later. (Stop yawning...).

Have to say, playing these evening sessions is THE most therepautic & relaxing thing, & I sort of forget all the aggro & noise that is going off when I'm playing. Love it.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Since i could not chat a bit of outing myself! Tbf i was only blind stealing and then this (odds in brackets)nevr expected you in the pot then i had double suited and a good lo hand so just felt i had too call it! tikay1 Small blind   150.00 150.00 1707.50 stanwasgod Big blind   300.00 450.00 1812.50   Your hole cards 4 Q 2 3       Jangles594 Fold         churchy18isGOD Raise   1050.00 1500.00 1790.00 bearace Fold         tikay1 All-in   1707.50 3207.50 0.00 stanwasgod Fold         churchy18isGOD Call   807.50 4015.00 982.50 tikay1 Show 3  Scoop: (45.25% ) 10 Hi: (59.92%0 Hi Tie: (6.81%) 4 Lo: (32.08%) Lo Tie: (6.52%) A       churchy18isGOD Show 4 Scoop: (19.90%) Q Hi: 33.27% ) Hi Tie: ( 6.81%) 2 Lo: 14.79% ) Lo Tie: (6.52%) 3       Flop     6 6 5       Turn     A       River     3       churchy18isGOD Win high Straight to the 6 2007.50   2990.00 churchy18isGOD Win low 5-low 2007.50   4997.50 you could have given my raise more respect in the 1st place so in my defense it was your own audacious reraise that got you in trouble  after all you know my fold button hardly works:@).......... seriously vul you know i just reinvest it anyway :@}
    Posted by churchy18
    Ha! God bless you Churchy.

You know me, I play volume, & the long game, I lose 10 or 20 games per session, so one more or less never bothers or upsets me, & I'm always happy to lose to you, you are a good guy. 

I was a bit surprised at your hand though, I have to admit!

It's not that I do not respect your raises, I just try & get it in in spots where I think MY range is beating my opponents range, which, in this case, I got spot on. My range is quite opponent specific, I have different "get it in" ranges v different players.

We can't help how the cards fall, & it never troubled me. Your hand did surprise me though! 

Sorry to hear you are currently "non-chat", hope you are soon back chatting. Drink more. Ovaltine. ;)

• edited October 2014
    Generally I am winning (over a small sample at the moment and only at £3 level) Notes is key imo Take today I had 3 unknowns on my table. Alot of pf limp.calling and alot of post flop action where you just dont know where you are. Twice I had to lay down sets to heavy action. In one hand I even had "2 sets" but unfortunately in PLO8 that doesnt mean jack. In fact it's worse as it meant I had no low. Opponent calls my flop pot bet then pots the turn and then river and the board is getting scarier with an orford straight. I have to lay down to river bet. They may well have been hammering with just the nut low or 2 pair as a high but I couldnt risk it without reads. To some players its an easy call and to some its an easy fold. When I get down to 11BB utg limps on this passive table with another caller so I POT with AKJ6ds utg calls so does other player. Benign looking flop 447 I am put all in by utg and middle player folds. I sigh call with the few bigs I have left. UTG had AA which holds with a higher 2 pair and their 3 also gets them there with the lo. I mean limp calling with AA37 and one suited Ax combo? Anyway long term - if they keep playing like that I'll pick them off when I can read them well enough. The other adjustment I try to make on those tables is to hold on to the pot raises until it really hurts if called - save the early raises for when I am raising over a tighter reg when I have a really strong hand. Hint don't call my reraises readers - I always have it - just like tikay ;-)
    Posted by Phantom66
    Agree with all that.

As to going to war early, I rarely do so, I prefer to wait until any caller is putting his DYM on the line if he calls - & anyway, by then, the game may be over!

I'm deffo not a fan of getting imvolved early. I don't sit out, but I may as well, as my range early in a DYM is super tight. I'd need A-A-2-x with a suit to raise in Levels 1 or 2. I still get called, of course, but I'm always happy to take my chance in those spots.   
  • edited October 2014

Before I reply to the other questions, first, (& through gritted teeth) I must congragulsate Macacgirl who won the Twiglet v Team Concrete Chalenge by, I think, something like 100 - 94 (?).

I was 20 games down at one stage I seem to recall, so I was actually quite pleased to cut the defecit a bit. Must add, though, that the original Challenge was "first to 50", & Macac graciously allowed me to extend it to 100. Not that it helped.....

In truth, if she won 100-94 or similar, I think that probably accurately reflects her ability v me. She is VERY good.

So, congrats to Macac on winning the inaugral challenge.

If anyone else fancies something similar, I'm up for it.

Having said all that, I can guarantee that if Macac & I did it again, I'd win next time....... not that I'm challenging her, like, as I know she'd bottle it.

• edited October 2014
    Hello fellow ploppers I have not been around much lately, I have been snowed under at work after all my time off ill and by the time I get back home I can only play the odd game here or there. As a result my play has suffered and I start chasing the game and probably playing hands I should not. That leads to losing games,not large amounts ,but when you are only playing a few games it starts to eat away at the "fun" side of things (lets be honest no one likes losing) Excited to see a PLO8 tournament in the UKOPS events. I hope we can provide a decent turnout and maybe entice sky to put on a regular big money game. As to the conversation about the different styles of play on show, I have tried to adjust a little myself,but have struggled a bit,  as others have suggested, with some of the more "flamboyant hand ranges" I wonder if I should just play my game and stop worrying about other people or is that too simplistic? I think Tony would like a £22 or £33 Dym and I wonder just what style of play that would entice to the tables? Anyway good luck to all who play and I hope to play a bit more myself  in the coming weeks Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nick,

Yes, I'd suggest sticking to what you understand best as to hand ranges. The maths tells us that if, over time, you are getting it in good more often than getting it in bad, you WILL win.

£20 & £30 games? If only! I'm not sure the play would be much different though, or that it would be any easier to win. For me, personally, I give much better focus to bigger games, because the bigger sums do hurt a bit.

• edited October 2014
    Enjoyed playing your peculiar little game again last night Tony. Nice people playing it. I noticed that you let me do all the work again!
    Posted by Jac35
    What?

Do behave.  

And yes, they are a grand bunch.

Of course I let you do all the work, that's your job. I just do the lazy thing, & wait until the time is right.

Two things stuck in my mind from that game.

There is a chap who NEVER folds ANY hand that contains 4 low cards. Ever. Anything.

I raised, he called. I had something like A-K-2-3.

It came 8-9-10, which was no help to me, but I c-bet, as I know he has probably missed the lot. He calls.

Turn is no good, either, it is now 8-9-10-J.

I shove all-in, he insta calls.

With 2-3-4-6!

So I've got him nicely wrapped up.

Until he pinged the 6 on the river, lol. Epic scenes.

Then I tangled with you. We were in the Blinds, you SB, me BB, & it came all clubs.

You bet. I just decided that I would click it back. I've seen Toby, Cody & them boys go 3 4 5 6 bet with pure air, so I'll try it, & I clicked it back.  You then clicked it back, too. I was about to do it again, when my bottle failed, sigh.

Anyway, we both cashed, & I appreciated you doing all the work for me. ;)
  • edited October 2014
    I would like to echo Pompeynic comments. I would had loved to have seen a PLO8 tournament in In the UKPOS series. Being a small buy in recreational player a micro or mini side event would have been perfect.   I really only play PLO8 now, mainly because of Tikay, his sheer enthusiam and love of the game are infectious. He is much appreciated for all his effort in raising the profile of the game for all the community of Ploppers who play on the site. Pete  
    Posted by retropete
    That's very kind of you to say, Pete, thank you.

Why are you named "Retro"? Do you dress like Orford?

Always love to see you on the Tables, & you always wish everyone "good luck". I've generally got too many tables open to chat much, but I do try to thank you, & respond in kind.

See you tonight.
  • edited October 2014
    funny game this for the first month of my aggression approach i was doing ok then i try to be a bit smarter and it all goes pear shaped so is blind aggression better than thoughtful aggression?  i hope not.  Anyway managed to stem the bleeding last night and we'll have to see what tonight brings.  Meanwhile my nlhe results continue to improve. Another qqq win last night and a 2/80 in another big BH. love the idea of team ploppers. Happy to be part of it in whatever form it takes. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Have to say, Gelders, I have watched almost every hand of your "transformation" with great interest, I think it's wonderful how you have reinvented your game.

It consists of 2 things - a much wider range, & much greater aggression. It is the aggrression that is the key, I think, as aggression can cover all sorts of other negatives.

I had just got to the point when I knew how to (try to) combat it when you changed it again. Awesome!

I'm a little too old & stuck in my ways, & conservative with my hand ranges, so I can't even consider "opening up", but the aggro thing I'm fine with, & at the sharp end, I'm as aggro as anyone. 

Honestly, I think its great that you have looked at your game, thought about it, & tried to do something different. I hope it works out well for you. When you are on one of my Tables, I am always that little bit more excited & focussed, as I know you won't be rolling over easily. Competitive stuff.

• edited October 2014

Thats me up to date, I think, keep the questions & comments coming please, its good to talk.

If I get time, I'll do the Daily Numbers for the last 2 days later today, or tomorrow morning latest.

Meanwhile.......

I'm torn between going up to DTD this weekend & playing their Grand Prix thing, or just chilling at home, on my todd.

I will probably stay at home, & play three really long sessions over the weekend, as I'm enjoying my poker so much at the moment. It really is so relaxing & enjoyable, & a lovely way to get some rest & recreation in.

So, fingers crossed, I hope to see many of you tonight. Be kinda neat to try & get 50 games in every day of this weekend. I tried last night, but the games died when I got to 39. We'll see.   

I might just go AWOL from the Forum for a few days, it's been a bit heavy this week, one way & another. Many people take poker SO seriously. It can be a brutal game, to be fair, I get that, but it is supposed to be fun, & anyway, we get some lovely breaks in our favour as well as beats.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm bored now that the challenge is over!
    Well played though, my lucky golden run at the beginning was just enough to carry me through I think.

If anyone is up for it, we could have a mini-league-leaderboard type of thing?
    Say 100 DYMs to be played, everyone keeps an (honest!) account of their own score and updates as and when etc?

If enough people are interested in having a go, say 10+ we could start a new thread?
  • edited October 2014
    I'm bored now that the challenge is over! Well played though, my lucky golden run at the beginning was just enough to carry me through I think. If anyone is up for it, we could have a mini-league-leaderboard type of thing? Say 100 DYMs to be played, everyone keeps an (honest!) account of their own score and updates as and when etc? If enough people are interested in having a go, say 10+ we could start a new thread?
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Sounds good but might take me a month to do 100 !

Could call it the Ploppers 100 Club

Bit like the Mile High club but less of a sweat :-)
  • edited October 2014
    We can sort out details later Vesp, but everyone will have time to do 100 DYMs.

Ok then, so far in the Ploppers 100 Club

Macacgirl1
    Vespapx
  • edited October 2014
    This sounds fun! Could be any buy in. Fancy playing some more plo8 and tgis could be an added insentive.
  • edited October 2014

That's the spirit Chris.
    Yep, any buy-in, playing against the game rather than opponents (if that makes sense!)

Ploppers 100 Club

Macacgirl1
    Vespapx
    Chris Mc

• edited October 2014
    That's the spirit Chris. Yep, any buy-in, playing against the game rather than opponents (if that makes sense!) Ploppers 100 Club Macacgirl1 Vespapx Chris Mc
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    In for this macacgirl
  • edited October 2014

Ploppers 100 Club

Macacgirl1
    Vespapx
    Chris Mc
    Churchy18

• edited October 2014
    So will there be a starting date for this or..

Ready set go.....
  • edited October 2014
    So will there be a starting date for this or.. Ready set go.....
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    In about a weeks time Chris, probably 1st November.
    I'll start a new thread in a day or two time when we have a few more takers.
  • edited October 2014
    Can I be added please, someone has to come bottom after all!
  • edited October 2014
    That will be good for me. When i can deposit more funds :( 

The joys of a losing player.
  • edited October 2014

Ploppers 100 Club

Macacgirl1
    Vespapx
    Chris Mc
    Churchy18
    Enut

• edited October 2014
    Yeh put me in the 100 club...is it ur first 100 results plo8 dyms in november?

Ger
  • edited October 2014
    Hello ploppers
    Count me in for the league of extraordinary ploppers, although I may lag behind in games played because of work.
    Always fun with you guys and dolls especially when the chat flows
    Nick
  • edited October 2014
    Count me in.  I don't play plo8 as much as I'd like to, so this might force me to play more. 
  • edited October 2014
    Would like to join in but like vespa fear i wont play enough? Maybe have all results in nov count with best winrate over a minimum no of games? 

I nominate geldy to propose a set of rules.

Put me down and I'll withdraw if i dont think ill hit the required volume quickly enough.

• edited October 2014
    Would like to join in but like vespa fear i wont play enough? Maybe have all results in nov count with best winrate over a minimum no of games?  I nominate geldy to propose a set of rules. Put me down and I'll withdraw if i dont think ill hit the required volume quickly enough.
    Posted by Phantom66
    +1

on the contrary
    you seem to be coming up with a great concept. 
    besides not sure if I'll be able to play a lot in November. 
    But put me down on the same basis
  • edited October 2014
    I'll update list tomorrow when/if more people want to join, along with those already wanting in.
    Don't worry about timespan guys, it's not a race.
  • edited October 2014
    Would like to join in but like vespa fear i wont play enough? Maybe have all results in nov count with best winrate over a minimum no of games?  I nominate geldy to propose a set of rules. Put me down and I'll withdraw if i dont think ill hit the required volume quickly enough.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Well if geldy's doing rules..count me out!   ;-))  Only kidding, I was gonna ask about rules as win % would def be a good idea me thinks?