You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2014

I've been AWOL since last Wednesday, but return to the fray this evening, can't wait.

First up, though, I am 2 days behind with my October numbers, so here goes.....
  • edited October 2014

15th October.

Played 26

£3 P13, W6 L7

£5.50 P11 W7, L4

£11 P2 W2 L0

Won/Lost £20.60

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.79

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 93 from 154 = 60%

£5.50, 49 from 86 = 57%

£11, 18 from 25 - 72%

Played 265, W160 L105 (60%)

October Overall PROFIT/LOSS £162.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.61

Account Balance £1,413.20
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    The infamous "Tighty SNG's" are ALWAYS rigged, the pretty girl ALWAYS wins them. And that's a fact, too.....
    Posted by Tikay10

OBJECTION! I am sure TRIP5 won one once. ;)
  • edited October 2014

Actually, I as only one day behind with my munbers, so thats me up to date now.

Am quite happy with those results so far. They could be better, yes, but they are good enough, if I can have an evenings fun & make around £15 per night, that'll do nicely thank you.

I'm back above £1,400, for the 8,576th time, I just need to try to break clear of that number now. Attempt 8,577 is tonight......

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : OBJECTION! I am sure TRIP5 won one once. ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY

Ouch!

To be fair, the opposition did include CTBN.

The case rests.
  • edited October 2014
    Cheers tikay.  Was going too move on too orford but that would've been a short one  :)Will hopefully do it later whilst playing the dtd games.

One thing though, cant check my inbox till later, becase it wont open on phones.

Any chance of this being fixed so can open your mail without having to be on a desktop?  Pass it too the i.t section :) 
  • edited October 2014
    Cheers tikay.  Was going too move on too orford but that would've been a short one  :)Will hopefully do it later whilst playing the dtd games. One thing though, cant check my inbox till later, becase it wont open on phones. Any chance of this being fixed so can open your mail without having to be on a desktop?  Pass it too the i.t section :) 
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    I have the same problem, & I know others seem to, too.
  • edited October 2014

20th October.

Played 30

£3 P21, W10 L11

£5.50 P9 W4, L5

£11 P0 W0 L0

Won/Lost £18.80

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.63

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 103 from 175 = 59%

£5.50, 53 from 95 = 56%

£11, 18 from 25 - 72%

Played 295, W174 L121 (59%)

October Overall PROFIT/LOSS £143.70

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.49

Account Balance £1,394.40
  • edited October 2014

The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) PLO8 Challenge.

TK  78
    Mac 89

That was a struggle and a half, I think at one point last night, we'd played against each other the first six times and we had the earth shattering score of 1 win each!

PS. £0.00p to £100 freeroll challenge, current standing £26.11p

• edited October 2014

Well not much to write home about there!

Lost the first 5, lol, & 8 of the first 11, so it was all uphill from there, & in the end was pretty happy to get away with losing the game-count 14-16, & only dropping £19. So back below £1,400 we go. Again......

Played OK actually, was happy with my play for the most part. Some nights it goes like that, just have to ride the punches.

I was regged for an £11 game all evening, & it got up to 3 at one stage, but none actually started whilst I was online, which was a shame.

Champions League football tonight, so traffic may be light during that, but I'll try & start early, then maybe have a session after the football finishes.  

• edited October 2014
    The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) PLO8 Challenge. TK  78 Mac 89 That was a struggle and a half, I think at one point last night, we'd played against each other the first six times and we had the earth shattering score of 1 win each! PS. £0.00p to £100 freeroll challenge, current standing £26.11p
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    That must have been Game 6 - I lost the first 5!
  • edited October 2014
    I played awfully last night in the DYM's but made up for it by coming 2nd in a £1 PLO8 Mtt for £11 :-)
    50 runners in it too which was good.
  • edited October 2014
    I played awfully last night in the DYM's but made up for it by coming 2nd in a £1 PLO8 Mtt for £11 :-) 50 runners in it too which was good.
    Posted by VespaPX
    I think everyone is playing awfully (myself included) in the DYMs at the moment!
    I don't quite know what has happened, but starting about three months ago, the play started to get daft and they've now become pretty much unplayable at times imo.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I think everyone is playing awfully (myself included) in the DYMs at the moment! I don't quite know what has happened, but starting about three months ago, the play started to get daft and they've now become pretty much unplayable at times imo.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Totally agree.
    The PLO8 mtt was just as bad, but kept patient.
    Played a PLO mtt on Sunday and it was like everyone just limping/calling any 4 cards.
    Still struggling how to play against it ! :-(
  • edited October 2014

Just keep playing correct hands, & you'll be fine.

You can get away with an eclectic starting hand criteria ONLY by sheer aggression, which is perfectly fine imo. You can't do it being passive though.

Aggression & good starting hands. Either will do, both would be perfect, but there are not enough good starting hands to go round.....

So yeah, there have been some crazy calls, & we run into some shockers now & then, but over time, I want those calls.

• edited October 2014

I guess we all have different senses of humour, & I'm sure this was intended as humour, but, if I'm honest, I did not much enjoy seeing this on the Chat Box rail of one of my Tables last night, it all seemed a bit inappropriate.

xxxx: its a shame about tony kendall isnt it?
    xxxx: he passed away 4 weeks ago

It's not a one off, either, it's been a monotonously regular theme from one player for some time now.

I can't respond in kind, of course, as I don't know the Gentleman, so if I bite back, it might be misconstrued, so he is getting a free shot at me.

I think it is supposed to be a "joke" because I don't play many hands, it's not my style to limp into every pot, but that won't ever change.  

I'd really appreciate it if we gave it a rest, please. 

No names & no pack drill needed, let's just move on please.

Thanks.
  • edited October 2014
    We know TK.
    What I mean by unplayable, is this...
    If you are dealt a premium hand between levels 1-4 and you pot raise it, or min raise it, or whatever raise you want, you are now most likely going to get two, if not 3 callers.  If you don't flop the world, then there is no point in playing anymore, as it's impossible to put a calling range on people as any four cards is the range, and it's a cert you are dead already.
    During the later levels, when 4 handed, it's now common practice to call a raise, to be become committed, with any ace, any big pair, any 4 lo cards, any 2 flush draws, 2 cards under 9 and 2 over 9, any 4 high cards, etc etc
    It has become unplayable, it isn't PLO8, it's bingo poker. Don't get me wrong, I'm as guilty as anyone, I'm not moaning or highlighting others bad play. I'm not in the middle of a bad run or anything like that, simply noting how it's changed. It makes not the slightest difference to me, I find it fun however it's played, but I'm not the only one surely who has seen the massive change recently?
    Have you not noticed that your BR challenge sort of stalled since the way we play the game has changed?
  • edited October 2014
    We know TK. What I mean by unplayable, is this... If you are dealt a premium hand between levels 1-4 and you pot raise it, or min raise it, or whatever raise you want, you are now most likely going to get two, if not 3 callers.  If you don't flop the world, then there is no point in playing anymore, as it's impossible to put a calling range on people as any four cards is the range, and it's a cert you are dead already. During the later levels, when 4 handed, it's now common practice to call a raise, to be become committed, with any ace, any big pair, any 4 lo cards, any 2 flush draws, 2 cards under 9 and 2 over 9, any 4 high cards, etc etc It has become unplayable, it isn't PLO8, it's bingo poker. Don't get me wrong, I'm as guilty as anyone, I'm not moaning or highlighting others  bad play. I'm not in the middle of a bad run or anything like that, simply noting how it's changed. It makes not the slightest difference to me, I find it fun however it's played, but I'm not the only one surely who has seen the massive change recently? Have you not noticed that your BR challenge sort of stalled since the way we play the game has changed?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Oh yes, I'm finding it tougher to win now, for sure, but I just need to find ways to combat the new ways of playing the game. 

Honestly, if we can't beat players who limp into a pot with 3 Bigs behind, then it's time we gave up. I'm really happy to take these guys on, though I certainly need to adapt my style a bit.

There is one regular - lovely chap, by the way - who limps into EVERY pot, so yes, he hits sometimes. Mostly though, he cannot beat the game. Ever. We want to play these guys, frustrating as it may be on occasion.   
  • edited October 2014
    Generally I am winning (over a small sample at the moment and only at £3 level)

Notes is key imo

Take today I had 3 unknowns on my table.

Alot of pf limp.calling and alot of post flop action where you just dont know where you are.

Twice I had to lay down sets to heavy action.

In one hand I even had "2 sets" but unfortunately in PLO8 that doesnt mean jack. In fact it's worse as it meant I had no low. Opponent calls my flop pot bet then pots the turn and then river and the board is getting scarier with an orford straight. I have to lay down to river bet. They may well have been hammering with just the nut low or 2 pair as a high but I couldnt risk it without reads.

To some players its an easy call and to some its an easy fold.

When I get down to 11BB utg limps on this passive table with another caller so I POT with AKJ6ds utg calls so does other player. Benign looking flop 447 I am put all in by utg and middle player folds. I sigh call with the few bigs I have left. UTG had AA which holds with a higher 2 pair and their 3 also gets them there with the lo.

I mean limp calling with AA37 and one suited Ax combo?

Anyway long term - if they keep playing like that I'll pick them off when I can read them well enough.

The other adjustment I try to make on those tables is to hold on to the pot raises until it really hurts if called - save the early raises for when I am raising over a tighter reg when I have a really strong hand. Hint don't call my reraises readers - I always have it - just like tikay ;-)
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I have the same problem, & I know others seem to, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    That Tikay was very, very subtle.
  • edited October 2014
    Hello fellow ploppers
    I have not been around much lately, I have been snowed under at work after all my time off ill and by the time I get back home I can only play the odd game here or there. As a result my play has suffered and I start chasing the game and probably playing hands I should not. That leads to losing games,not large amounts ,but when you are only playing a few games it starts to eat away at the "fun" side of things (lets be honest no one likes losing)
    Excited to see a PLO8 tournament in the UKOPS events. I hope we can provide a decent turnout and maybe entice sky to put on a regular big money game.
    As to the conversation about the different styles of play on show, I have tried to adjust a little myself,but have struggled a bit,  as others have suggested, with some of the more "flamboyant hand ranges"
    I wonder if I should just play my game and stop worrying about other people or is that too simplistic?
    I think Tony would like a £22 or £33 Dym and I wonder just what style of play that would entice to the tables?
    Anyway good luck to all who play and I hope to play a bit more myself  in the coming weeks
    Nick
  • edited October 2014

The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) PLO8 Challenge.

TK  89
    Mac 95

Late surge by Mr K, but has he left it too late?

Some blindingly brilliant 'flamboyant' hands being played tonight. I think the best thing to do Nic is play your own game, I tried to join in with the nutter play a few times tonight instead of playing normally and quite obviously it bit me on the bum!

• edited October 2014
    Enjoyed playing your peculiar little game again last night Tony.
    Nice people playing it.
    I noticed that you let me do all the work again!
  • edited October 2014
    Hello fellow ploppers I have not been around much lately, I have been snowed under at work after all my time off ill and by the time I get back home I can only play the odd game here or there. As a result my play has suffered and I start chasing the game and probably playing hands I should not. That leads to losing games,not large amounts ,but when you are only playing a few games it starts to eat away at the "fun" side of things (lets be honest no one likes losing) Excited to see a PLO8 tournament in the UKOPS events. I hope we can provide a decent turnout and maybe entice sky to put on a regular big money game. As to the conversation about the different styles of play on show, I have tried to adjust a little myself,but have struggled a bit,  as others have suggested, with some of the more "flamboyant hand ranges" I wonder if I should just play my game and stop worrying about other people or is that too simplistic? I think Tony would like a £22 or £33 Dym and I wonder just what style of play that would entice to the tables? Anyway good luck to all who play and I hope to play a bit more myself  in the coming weeks Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nick,

Just to put the record straight, no, there is NOT a PLO8 Event in the upcoming UKOPS, it is a PLO Event, NOT PLO8.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I THINK there will be three little PLO8 Freerolls every week for a trial period, starting tomoorow (Thursday), & running every Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

• edited October 2014
    Humbug! I was looking forward to a PLO8 tournament.
    I'll still play the micro and mini things each night of the UKOPS thingummy though, I won't win a bean but it's the taking part and whatnot.
    Would be nice if a lot of team plopper played the micro or mini each night, buy-ins being so cheap (the price of one DYM) that losing wouldn't matter and we could have a sort of plopper leaderboard going.
  • edited October 2014
    Team Plopper! I like it - thoughts on T shirt designs?
  • edited October 2014
    funny game this
    for the first month of my aggression approach i was doing ok
    then i try to be a bit smarter and it all goes pear shaped
    so is blind aggression better than thoughtful aggression? 
    i hope not. 
    Anyway managed to stem the bleeding last night and we'll have to see what tonight brings. 
    Meanwhile my nlhe results continue to improve. Another qqq win last night and a 2/80 in another big BH.
    love the idea of team ploppers. Happy to be part of it in whatever form it takes. 
  • edited October 2014
    Just to let you know that the name "Ploppers" is protected by a copyright i have.
    Its use will be subject to a fee

Or i may be lying :-))
  • edited October 2014
    Oh dear, a little disappointing. I think you have raised the profile of PLO8, through your play,thread and general love of the game enough for me and my fellow ploppers to have made that event a resounding success. 70 odd runners might have been tight I suppose but I think we would have got there in the end.
    I actually started playing PLO before I started PLO8 but have not played for a while. Maybe, if you get the time, in your incredibly busy schedule, you might be willing to offer some advice on the differences between the two formats, starting hands etc and tournie play as opposed to DYM's.
    I hope I have not overstepped the mark with that, I will give it a go no matter what and look forward to trying to satellite into my favorite Super Roller...... Love that format even if i expect a 4am finish will be needed to win it !!
    Who knows If Sky do put on an SPT we could organise a PLO8 sidey between us. That would be fun trying to keep a straight face when we try to steal each others blinds.
    Nick
  • edited October 2014
    I would like to echo Pompeynic comments. I would had loved to have seen a PLO8 tournament in In the UKPOS series.
    Being a small buy in recreational player a micro or mini side event would have been perfect.

I really only play PLO8 now, mainly because of Tikay, his sheer enthusiam and love of the game are infectious.

He is much appreciated for all his effort in raising the profile of the game for all the community of Ploppers who play on the site.

Pete