You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    It's not over until it's over! It's not as though it really matters who wins though.  If I win, I wouldn't think of reminding you in the chat-box of the result. Almost hourly. Never tiring of it. Banging on and on and on about the final score. Nope. That just wouldn't happen. Telling you what I am having/had for dinner and reminding you (again, repeatedly) of the final score. No, not all. At all. Never. Just wouldn't happen. Much.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

• edited October 2014
    It's not over until it's over! It's not as though it really matters who wins though.  If I win, I wouldn't think of reminding you in the chat-box of the result. Almost hourly. Never tiring of it. Banging on and on and on about the final score. Nope. That just wouldn't happen. Telling you what I am having/had for dinner and reminding you (again, repeatedly) of the final score. No, not all. At all. Never. Just wouldn't happen. Much. PS. Just a reminder, below is what up to stake for the challenge! As a forfeit, if Mr. K wins after 100 games, I promise wholeheartedly to never mention food or twiglets ever again in the chat-box. Mr. K has said (in front of witnesses I hasten to add) he will wear a tee shirt on TV, with the logo "I Love Macacgirl" whilst eating a packet of twiglets.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I did not!

Summon your witnesses.
  • edited October 2014

Best get up to date on the proper numbers for the last 2 nights.......
  • edited October 2014

13th October.

Played 27

£3 P15, W10 L5

£5.50 P11 W2, L9

£11 P1 W1 L0

Won/Lost £21.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.77

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 80 from 128 = 63%

£5.50, 37 from 66 = 53%

£11, 13 from 17 - 76%

Played 211, W130 L81 (62%)

October Overall PROFIT/LOSS £148.30

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.70

Account Balance £1,399.00
  • edited October 2014

Hard to explain that!

Won nicely @ £3.30 & £11, but got absolutely battered @ £5.50. Don't think I did too much wrong, just kept getting coolered or outdrawn - much as I kept coolering or outdrawing others when I was running super hot.

Amazing thing, this variance malarky.

A few nights before, when I won 14 or 15, I was not involved, or even saw, the "final hand". I'd be montoring my other tables, playing hands or whatever, & suddenly  that lovely white box would pop up - "YOU HAVE WON £xx". On one occasion, whilst 6 tabling, THREE of them popped up within seconds of each other, so I'd won 3 in a row & not even been involved in the bustout hand, lovely. Last night, by contrast, I seemed to be involved in EVERY bustout hand, one side or the other. 

I had to turn the chat off on one table, due to some inappropriate comments, first time I've ever done that. Generally, the Ploppers are a great bunch & the banter is fantastic.

Anyway, slipped back below £1,400, but only by a quid.   

• edited October 2014

14th October.

Played 28

£3 P13, W7 L6

£5.50 P9 W5, L4

£11 P6 W3 L3

Won/Lost £6.40

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.23

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 87 from 141 = 62%

£5.50, 42 from 75 = 56%

£11, 16 from 23 - 70%

Played 239, W145 L94 (61%)

October Overall PROFIT/LOSS £141.90

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.59

Account Balance £1,392.60
  • edited October 2014

Strange night, quite pleased to nearly get out of it in the end, as I managed to lose 6 of the first 7 games. If you can get out of a hole like that, it's always a great result.

I'm around tonight, then that's me done until Monday, as I have the Show tomorrow, & will have company all weekend.

There were some cracking hands last night, both ways, & so I'm going to list a few. A mixture of outdraws & bad beats, for & against, just to give NLH players of how much action, & fun, PLO & PLO8 give us. We get more crackerjack hands in a night than NLH players get in a month! 

More follows...... 

• edited October 2014

These are a mixture, both ways, but are a typical example of what we see in PLO & PLO8.

Very first game last night, it came J-5-5, 2 hearts, & I had A-J-x-x. "Retropete" flatted me, & I thought "he's flushing, pair the board".

BOOM, turn was another heart & I hit my full house, & I bet again. I'm gonna have ALL his chips. I am.

He flatted again.

River was another heart, I bet again, he moved in, lovely, I insta-called, & expected the chips to slide across to me.

His Royal Flush was good. (Well done Pete!).

My next two exits were near identical - I flopped a set of kings in both, & in both cases they runner-runnered straights.

I then flopped quad two's, boom. (Against Macac, all the sweeter).

Next hand on adjacent table, I flopped quad jacks & got the lot.

Then I bet with A-K-6-2, missed everything on a flop of J-J-5. I felt my man was on the Low - he always calls for any low - so I C-Bet all-in & he snap-called. Was a bit suprised when he called me with A-2-7-8, with only backdoor draws. Turn was a blank, river was the 7 to give him the lot!

Thgis is all pretty standard stuff in PLO & PLO8.

Come on peoples, come join the fun! 
  • edited October 2014
    Hard to explain that! Won nicely @ £3.30 & £11, but got absolutely battered @ £5.50. Don't think I did too much wrong, just kept getting coolered or outdrawn - much as I kept coolering or outdrawing others when I was running super hot. Amazing thing, this variance malarky. A few nights before, when I won 14 or 15, I was not involved, or even saw, the "final hand". I'd be montoring my other tables, playing hands or whatever, & suddenly  that lovely white box would pop up - "YOU HAVE WON £xx". On one occasion, whilst 6 tabling, THREE of them popped up within seconds of each other, so I'd won 3 in a row & not even been involved in the bustout hand, lovely. Last night, by contrast, I seemed to be involved in EVERY bustout hand, one side or the other.  I had to turn the chat off on one table, due to some inappropriate comments, first time I've ever done that. Generally, the Ploppers are a great bunch & the banter is fantastic.   Anyway, slipped back below £1,400, but only by a quid.         
    Posted by Tikay10
    Apologies for that

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Apologies for that ....
    Posted by Jac35
    Ha! YBA.

You, Mr Jackson (NTPP), are always welcome. Was a fun game, that, you, BBMike, DutyFree, etc.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not heard this phrase before.  Is it a local saying?   Oh and #runbetter.  ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    "keep a bit of wool on your back".

I only ever heard one man use it regularly, & he is, imo, England's greatest living businessman, Mr John Kirkland OBE, who I worked with for 22 years until I retired. He runs, & his family trust owns, The Bowmer & Kirkland Group (B & K), the UK's largest privately owned & far & away most profitable Construction group.

It refers, of course, literally, to leaving a bit of wool on the sheep when you shear it, in case of sudden bad weather.

In business, he did not like surprises, especially bad surprises.

So, when we did our month end & year end Accounts, we had to "take a view" on many matters, nothing (in construction finance) is ever black & white.

So we'd try & leave a bit of money behind (NOT take it to profit) for as long as possible, within Accounting & Tax regulations would allow.

In simple terms, if we made, say, £100,000 in a year, he'd rather we declared, say, £75,000, & leave ourselves with £25,000 of "rainy day money" in case things went wrong down the line.

Leaving aside tax & accounting rules, in a privately owned company, it DOES NOT MATTER when you declare the profit, it does not make a penny of difference, the money does not change, it just sits in a different column on the Balance Sheet.

He loved to see plenty of reserve, & cash at bank, rather than profit for profit's sake.

Another of his faves was....

"...turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, cash is king...."

When he looked at the Balance Sheet of any of his companies, the first line he looked at was "Cash at Bank".

Next was the Debtors. It was not his money until they paid the bill, so that line got a lot of attention.  

• edited October 2014
    aha, so you were talking about shearing the sheep
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Tom! Was great to see you join us for some Plopper fun last night.   Hope you enjoyed it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes indeedy I did enjoy the game, was good to see a new chap at the table and all the help and encouragement which was given, warms the cockles of the heart and goes a little way to restoring my faith in human nature :) Methinks I am a little too stubborn at times and need to let go when I know I am behind, but the thing is my mind plays all kinds of tricks and with the type of game it is I would look at the board and guestimate I would have about 6 outs and GAMBLE lol. and the beauty is I sometimes hit.. Tc hope to meet again my good man.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes indeedy I did enjoy the game, was good to see a new chap at the table and all the help and encouragement which was given, warms the cockles of the heart and goes a little way to restoring my faith in human nature :) Methinks I am a little too stubborn at times and need to let go when I know I am behind, but the thing is my mind plays all kinds of tricks and with the type of game it is I would look at the board and guestimate I would have about 6 outs and GAMBLE lol. and the beauty is I sometimes hit.. Tc hope to meet again my good man.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Morning Tom,

Yes, typical of the Ploppers that everyone tried to help him when he announced at the start "oops, I registered for this by mistake, never played Omaha before"......

Typically, he went on to win it! His name was "Stewie7" as I recall.

The PLO8 Crew are ALWAYS helpful to everyone, & it's a privilege to play with such decent people.

Pleased to hear you had some good news yesterday (duvet matters excepted), & I hope today goes well, it must be a HUGE day for you today.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : "keep a bit of wool on your back ". I only ever heard one man use it regularly, & he is, imo, England's greatest living businessman, Mr John Kirkland OBE, who I worked with for 22 years until I retired. He runs, & his family trust owns, The Bowmer & Kirkland Group (B & K), the UK's largest privately owned & far & away most profitable Construction group.   It refers, of course, literally, to leaving a bit of wool on the sheep when you shear it, in case of sudden bad weather.   In business, he did not like surprises, especially bad surprises. So, when we did our month end & year end Accounts, we had to "take a view" on many matters, nothing (in construction finance) is ever black & white. So we'd try & leave a bit of money behind (NOT take it to profit) for as long as possible, within Accounting & Tax regulations would allow. In simple terms, if we made, say, £100,000 in a year, he'd rather we declared, say, £75,000, & leave ourselves with £25,000 of "rainy day money" in case things went wrong down the line. Leaving aside tax & accounting rules, in a privately owned company, it DOES NOT MATTER when you declare the profit, it does not make a penny of difference, the money does not change, it just sits in a different column on the Balance Sheet.   He loved to see plenty of reserve, & cash at bank, rather than profit for profit's sake. Another of his faves was.... "...turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, cash is king...." When he looked at the Balance Sheet of any of his companies, the first line he looked at was "Cash at Bank".   Next was the Debtors. It was not his money until they paid the bill, so that line got a lot of attention.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Interesting tale.  I suspected it was along those lines.

• edited October 2014

The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) PLO8 Challenge.

TK (Mr A444) 70
    Mac 82

• edited October 2014
    Have you forgot about me tikay? 
  • edited October 2014
    Have you forgot about me tikay? 
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    No, not at all Chris, yesterday and this morning have been manic, & I'm a bit busy prepping for tonight's Show.

I should be in the office late afternoon, & will try & do it then, failing that, it'll be my first job tomorrow.

I did promise to do it yesterday, my apologies.
  • edited October 2014

Ooh, just seen this, on GaryQQQ's Results thread, last night's "Rebuy Open" Main Event.....

devil_tear16020001st/292£1743.48
    bearlyther02£1028.72
    GELDY03£617.90

BOOMIO!

Well done Gelders.
  • edited October 2014
    ty TK
    i only entered it to have some fun with Orford! 
    meant i couldn't play any hilo dyms though. 
    did cash a plo8 mtt mind you. 
    i guess my practising of a more varied style is paying dividends. 
    gl on the show tonight. 

ps enut cashed as well
    but orford didn't
  • edited October 2014
    We will have to recommence the challenge in a few days, or a week or so Mr. K
    I'm learning Badugi elsewhere at the moment and loving it, yet losing patience (and BR!) here simultaneously, so I'll give the PLO8 a bit of respect and leave it alone for a wee bit whilst I continue to learn elsewhere.
    Have fun.

PS. Badugi recommended to the PLO8 gang, I think a lot (sort of) play it already without realising!
  • edited October 2014
    Ooh, just seen this, on GaryQQQ's Results thread, last night's "Rebuy Open" Main Event..... devil_tear 1602000 1st/292 £1743.48 bearlyther 0 2 £1028.72 GELDY 0 3 £617.90 BOOMIO! Well done Gelders.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Excellent result Geldy. I think when I left you were quite short stacked so getting back into it and finishing 3rd was a great result. I think I saw you crush something like AQ with your K7 flopping 2 pair to stay in so you made the most of a bit of run good. Well played!
  • edited October 2014
    We will have to recommence the challenge in a few days, or a week or so Mr. K I'm learning Badugi elsewhere at the moment and loving it, yet losing patience (and BR!) here simultaneously, so I'll give the PLO8 a bit of respect and leave it alone for a wee bit whilst I continue to learn elsewhere. Have fun. PS. Badugi recommended to the PLO8 gang, I think a lot (sort of) play it already without realising!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Agreed about Badugi, I seem to get a higher proportion of good Badugi hands while playing Omaha Hi-Low, and a higher proportion of Hi-Low hands while playing Badugi, although I know it's all in the mind.
  • edited October 2014
    Omaha, Omaha , Omaha , Did someone say Omaha? hmmm, oh, it must have been me. that's right guy's, I mention it because I've just won my first ever tourney in Omaha. How pleased am I? I'll tell you. Very, very pleased in deed.    Only my second or third tourney in this format, albeit a small stakes tourney but, we all have to learn somewhere.    I do like this format, but have recently discovered another game with four cards PLO8. Now, this is a different ball game altogether high cards and low cards. what's that all about? Either way, they both make you think about the game in a different way. I think the Omaha type game can improve your NLHE GAME imo.    ajmilton 26000 1 £6.50 Insomniac1 0 2 £3.90 1234dave 0 3 £2.60 Gl GUY'S  CYA SOON Regards Alan
    Posted by ajmilton
    Is this a sign of my future, in poker?
    Half a dozen games in and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BOOM

ajmilton340001£8.50
    potoffdebs02£5.10
    painter00703£3.40  
    MY SECOND WIN IN PLO

Still can't get me head around plo8

Regards Alan
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Is this a sign of my future, in poker? Half a dozen games in and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BOOM   ajmilton 34000 1 £8.50 potoffdebs 0 2 £5.10 painter007 0 3 £3.40   MY SECOND WIN IN PLO Still can't get me head around plo8 Regards Alan
    Posted by ajmilton
    this is the place to be if u want too get the hang of plo8,

I seem to do quite well in the Omaha mtt;'s when I played them but struggled with pol8, tikay will help u as much as u need as he did with me, its good too watch the regs without playing, on the 5.50 games, and see the hands that there playing with, I learned a bit from that, although haven't played it in a while was a refreshing change and something new.
  • edited October 2014
    As well as watching the £5 games, it'd also be a good idea to watch the £2 games. They are super loose sometimes and perfect to witness how rubbish hands like 6789 (usually) fail to win either the high or lo pot, yet a lot of people will needlessly call pre-flop raises and become committed with similar all the time.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Is this a sign of my future, in poker? Half a dozen games in and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BOOM   ajmilton 34000 1 £8.50 potoffdebs 0 2 £5.10 painter007 0 3 £3.40   MY SECOND WIN IN PLO Still can't get me head around plo8 Regards Alan
    Posted by ajmilton
    BOOM!

Well done, grerat stuff.

You still playing PLO?

I'm no great expert, but I have a good grasp of the basics, so if you have any A=B-C- level questions, fire away.

By the bye, PLO8 is VERY different to PLO in many ways. It requires a very odd mindset for a poker player. When, for example, we have a good pre-flop Low, (including, obviously, an Ace) the LAST card we want to see on the flop is an Ace! In "normal" poker we LOVE to hit that Ace. In PLO8, not always. If we are on the Low only, & we river our ace, it is usually a BAD card.   

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : this is the place to be if u want too get the hang of plo8, I seem to do quite well in the Omaha mtt;'s when I played them but struggled with pol8, tikay will help u as much as u need as he did with me, its good too watch the regs without playing, on the 5.50 games, and see the hands that there playing with, I learned a bit from that, although haven't played it in a while was a refreshing change and something new.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Thanks Chris.

All the regular PLO8 & PLO  players seem to go out of their way to be very helpful to newcomers.

If anyone has any questions, fire away, & I'm sure plenty of experienced ploppers will reply.

PS - Have replied to your PM this morning. Apols for the delay, have been mostly AWOL since last Wednesday.

• edited October 2014
    I just posted in a thread about fixing online RNG's, and it got me remembering back to a friendly (and not that serious) sit and go at an APAT event many years back.

You were dealing, and dealt the same hands a few times in a row (after <cough> shuffling), but got them the wrong way round on the final go.

I think Mr Duffy was one of the players left in.

Can you remember this, or am I just imagining it ?

I think it might have been Edinburgh.
  • edited October 2014
    I just posted in a thread about fixing online RNG's, and it got me remembering back to a friendly (and not that serious) sit and go at an APAT event many years back. You were dealing, and dealt the same hands a few times in a row (after <cough /> shuffling), but got them the wrong way round on the final go. I think Mr Duffy was one of the players left in. Can you remember this, or am I just imagining it ? I think it might have been Edinburgh.
    Posted by Fortunatus
    Well Mr Duffy WON that SNG as I recall, so yeah, my shuffling MUST have been dodgy.........

But you know Des, if he invests money, he expects a return. ;) I got half his winnings, of course.

Fair to say, I shuffle cards the same way as Orford plays poker - awfully.

But even if we don't shuffle the cards AT ALL, each player still gets different hands. I often see ("Live") Dealers accused of not shuffling properly, "I got the same hand twice running". Which, in fact, PROVES the cards WERE shuffled, as they could not possibly come out the same way if they were not shuffled.

Dealing the cards "mischieviously" is a bit like Les Dawson playing the piano badly - it takes a bit of skill.

The infamous "Tighty SNG's" are ALWAYS rigged, the pretty girl ALWAYS wins them. And that's a fact, too.....